Cream's Ginger Baker trashes legends in Classic Rock Magazine, Issue #142, March 2010

Re: Cream's Ginger Baker trashes legends in Classic Rock Magazine, Issue #142, March

@mattsmith, but that's all subjective. Ginger Baker was and is known as one of the greatest drummers ever, as is Buddy Rich. Again, subjective. By the way, Rich has talked trash about other drummers and musicians, not to mention just being a complete twat to humans in general. Being great at something doesn't make it ok for someone to be an ass. My point is if someone is going to gripe about Ginger for being a twat, they have to hold Buddy to the same standard otherwise they're a hypocrite.

Re: Cream's Ginger Baker trashes legends in Classic Rock Magazine, Issue #142, March

@mattsmith, but that's all subjective. Ginger Baker was and is known as one of the greatest drummers ever, as is Buddy Rich. Again, subjective. By the way, Rich has talked trash about other drummers and musicians, not to mention just being a complete twat to humans in general. Being great at something doesn't make it ok for someone to be an ass. My point is if someone is going to gripe about Ginger for being a twat, they have to hold Buddy to the same standard otherwise they're a hypocrite.

I think that although he was an arrogent ****, he was a likable character. Its hard to explain, but there is something about him that is appealing, he is interesting. Ginger baker is just scary, i don't think you can respect ginger for his actions. Buddy was a clean cut respectable guy ( apart from his rage) with a good image ( realistically), don't think you can say the same about ginger. Kind of like Miles davis, theres a mistique about him

Well, listen to "White Room" from Wheels Of Fire. The way he played on that song is a study in holding back, not over playing and yet playing very interesting stuff. Follow the drumming all the way to the end and then ask yourself what you would have done had you been given that song to play.

It's a very tasteful and punchy performance, perfect for the song and the way the band recorded it. It's professional. It's just very good drumming.

To me that kind of concept and ability, that kind of musicianship, secures his position as an important rock drummer. He was a great influence for me back then.

Now he's an old man who has many problems. I think we should have enough class to recognize him as such and wish him the best. Yes it's a real shame what can happen to people, it really is.

Last edited:

I think the difference in Buddy slamming other drummers and Ginger slamming other drummers...Did Buddy ever slam any of his peers? I'm talking guys like Joe Morello, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones...Buddy slammed "lesser" rock guys, right? and it's kind of understandable, I can see where he could think that. Ginger slamming Bonham...doesn't he have ears? Like if Ginger slammed say Travis Barker or Lars Ulrich, I wouldn't be as miffed, not that I agree with that, but I could understand why he might feel that way. I just can't relate to his statements at all regarding Mitchell, Bonham, et al....

Right, but like I said earlier, Ginger thought of himself as a jazz drummer above all. He hated being called a rock drummer. He probably hated being compared to other rock drummers even more. Besides, talking trash is talking trash. If it's not OK for Ginger, it's not OK for Buddy. Double standards and hypocrisy are crap.

I read what I could find online.On the GB trash talk
Ive always admired GB But too many times his EGO is Nuts
he was good at one time but so MANY drummers have supassed him remember hes a JADED OLD man now....
Ginger has been very over the top with his EGO ive read many articles where he thinks hes the greatest TOO MANY DRUGS GINGER ARRRGGHHHH>>>>>>
This is a testimonial for KIDS DONT DO DRUGS...................................
I Know Why he trashes other drummers its so we can talk about him hes getting old and does not want to be forgotten.
I wish hed just put an cd out and let the playing do the talking.
there are so many guys with single pedal and small kits who would make Gingers head spin around if his EGO ever let down long enough.
Just my 2 and 1/2 cents
Tim

Yeah, I agree, But Ginger was one of the early pioneers though of the rock style, along with Carmine Appice and Mitch Mitchell. I guess you need to understand him in those terms. I personally don't like the sound of his drumming, I find it very flat technique-wise. But the kind of tribalistic dimension he brought to some of the classic Cream songs; Sunshine of My Love, White Room or Tales of Great Ulysses is something that drummers today could take a second look at.

questions to ask ourselves:

1) Just because we detest something is it artistically invalid or unimportant?

2) Does a fantastic musician need to be a fantastic human being to be a credible icon in his field?

I think the difference in Buddy slamming other drummers and Ginger slamming other drummers...Did Buddy ever slam any of his peers? I'm talking guys like Joe Morello, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones...Buddy slammed "lesser" rock guys, right? and it's kind of understandable, I can see where he could think that. Ginger slamming Bonham...doesn't he have ears? Like if Ginger slammed say Travis Barker or Lars Ulrich, I wouldn't be as miffed, not that I agree with that, but I could understand why he might feel that way. I just can't relate to his statements at all regarding Mitchell, Bonham, et al....
This is it exactly. Rich never went after Jo Jones, Krupa, Elvin Jones, Bellson etc. He spoke of them in the same high terms we do. He used to talk positively about Tony Williams in public all the time. He also spoke highly of rock drummers Carl Palmer, Bobby Columby and Danny Seraphinne.

Name one drummer Ginger Baker has ever been high on other than Ginger Baker.

See that's the difference.

I also agree with Aydee's statement.
2) Does a fantastic musician need to be a fantastic human being to be a credible icon in his field?

In fact I think most of music history is laden with ego.I don't think you can get to that level and not have it. And if you're immature on the side all that probably makes it even worse regarding the opinions presentation. I knew Louie Bellson pretty well, and he was probably the greatest nice guy drummer in history. But don't think he didn't also have ego and strong opinions about what he thought was lesser music. He was just more political about not being around a magazine writer when he was expressing them. Rashied Ali was also a very, very good guy, but he criticized drummers he didn't think were so good all the time.

This is why Baker's opinions are totally cool with me. He's had the career. I might not like it but I'm certainly not going to judge his character over it. And in Rich's case that's X100.

But I think the direction of these discussions that always tugs at me a little is this stuff about how all talent is subjective, when most times you really can tell the difference in something that is yes/// better. . Ginger Baker was great with Cream. The whole thing was great. But I think this thing we do where we try to make everyone dead equal by saying Gee, only Ginger could have made Cream that good is plain wrong. And I don't need a subjectivity meter to tell me that. He was no Bonham, Rich, Williams or pick your Jones. And all I need to say that are a set of ears and some objectivity.

I think subjectivity has its place. But I'm only going to go so far with it. And that includes comparing Baker to Rich, Elvin or a guy like Bonham. Still, I'm not going to even say that unless the other guy opens the door. In this case Baker opened that door, so everybody is allowed a say. The same goes for Rich, but past his attitude issues and some nearsighted comments about drum solos and his rock style, I've never heard a negative comparison with someone else that was ever that convincing. It's also why I'm cool with Meg White. She hasn't made negative public comments about other drummers, so why even go there? She's figured out how to make a career, so who am I to say?

I've talked to a lot of older musicians about this better is all subjective thing, and they just look at me like I'm nuts. One of them told me How do I hire the better drummer when I can't tell what better is?

Sometimes this so called hypocrisy is tied in a lot more with the reality. Baker slamming icons is only silly because he's not as good as some of the guys he's ragging. And that doesn't take away from the legacy of Blind Faith and Ginger Baker's contribution to rock. It just is what it is.

Last edited:

that doesn't make him a great drummer, just because his bands songs were at the top, same with mitch, I just don't think they are good, far better than me of course, but still, not great

I'm sorry, I wasn't quite clear. The number one and two songs had absolutely nothing to do with Hendrix or Mitch. In fact, I doubt if Hendrix was anywhere near the top 40 in 1967 and the song I linked (in my opinion one of Hendrix's better) most likely was never played on the air. The point of my post was to draw you into thinking about what was considered 'good music' at the time and compare it to what Mitchell and Hendrix were doing. Clearly, they were living in a whole 'nother world. If you listen to the Hendrix song I posted, there is a lot more going on there than initially meets the ear. Mitchell deserves AT LEAST as much credit as Baker in the drumming department. That is all I was trying to say.

I've talked to a lot of older musicians about this better is all subjective thing, and they just look at me like I'm nuts. One of them told me How do I hire the better drummer when I can't tell what better is?

LOL. Classic. Sometimes I log on here and wonder if I am living/playing in some alternate universe where there actually IS a difference between a 6 year old drummer after his first lesson and a seasoned player with 33 years of experience. Clearly, reality must be wrong.

Sometimes this so called hypocrisy is tied in a lot more with the reality. Baker slamming icons is only silly because he's not as good as some of the guys he's ragging.

Agreed. I read Baker's quote and scratched my head. HE is bashing Mitchell? HE is bashing Bonham? I was like WTF? My reaction to his quote wasn't anger but more like puzzlement. It just seemed foolish and delusional.

and the song I linked (in my opinion one of Hendrix's better) most likely was never played on the air..

Great memories!! I used to cover that tune many moons ago.. thanks for the link!

Great memories!! I used to cover that tune many moons ago.. thanks for the link!

We cover it now. Just added it at my suggestion. That song is SO much fun to play on the drums.

I read Baker's quote and scratched my head. HE is bashing Mitchell? HE is bashing Bonham? I was like WTF? My reaction to his quote wasn't anger but more like puzzlement. It just seemed foolish and delusional.

I was puzzled too. It's just plain weird. That's why I speculated on his mental health. Saying Mitch was hopeless especially struck me as his mouth running without engaging brain.

But it totally doesn't matter to me. Loved his African influences and some of those old Cream and Blind Faith classics. He could say he owned the Eiffel Tower for all I care; those old songs speak WAY more loudly to me than his his words.

Gotta hand it to the old Ginge .... he's an elderly man now but he's still entertaining us ... four pages' worth now if you count his other trash talk thread :)

We cover it now. Just added it at my suggestion. That song is SO much fun to play on the drums.

Great! A song the crowd never expects. Gets em every time
All those breaks and guitar squeals. So much fun... : )

I was puzzled too. It's just plain weird. That's why I speculated on his mental health. Saying Mitch was hopeless especially struck me as his mouth running without engaging brain.

But it totally doesn't matter to me. Loved his African influences and some of those old Cream and Blind Faith classics. He could say he owned the Eiffel Tower for all I care; those old songs speak WAY more loudly to me than his his words.

Gotta hand it to the old Ginge .... he's an elderly man now but he's still entertaining us ... four pages' worth now if you count his other trash talk thread :)

Yeah. I loved the guys drumming and he was right smack in the middle of a couple really great bands. He was a real engine in those bands too. He added something. With all that in mind, he is as entitled to spout off as the next guy I guess. It just seemed a little strange is all. Thats why I was wondering if maybe a goofy question triggered the outburst. Something like "so tell me Ginger, how does it feel now that your contemporaries like Mitchell and Bonham are widely regarded as drumming greats whilst your legacy seems, shall we say, less?" It has to have been a leading/antagonistic question like that, maybe combined with some real life stress at the time and some substances.

... I was wondering if maybe a goofy question triggered the outburst. Something like "so tell me Ginger, how does it feel now that your contemporaries like Mitchell and Bonham are widely regarded as drumming greats whilst your legacy seems, shall we say, less?"

LOL. That would be such a bitch of a question! How to win friends and influence people :)

You would think some of this jazz drumming would have made it into some of his playing with cream. At least in some of those 20 minute solos. Did I just miss it?

Something like "so tell me Ginger, how does it feel now that your contemporaries like Mitchell and Bonham are widely regarded as drumming greats whilst your legacy seems, shall we say, less?" It has to have been a leading/antagonistic question like that, maybe combined with some real life stress at the time and some substances.

Interesting thought Average. The idea has merit, I think. Perhaps not presented as simplistically as here, but there'd have been constant referral to his peers (especially the likes of Mitchell, Moon and Bonham) in interviews over the years. Perhaps he's just sick of being questioned about guys who are "drumming greats" to us, but to Ginger, they were just guys like him working the circuit.

Back