Cutting Hi-hat rod... Advice?

Avendesoran

I'm an open handed drummer so I put my hi hat very low and there's a lot of extra rod as a result. It gets in the way when switching to my ride, snare, toms... etc

What should I use to cut it? After I cut it, what should I do about the sharpened edge where it was cut? I was thinking about trying to find a rubber cap or should I find something to file it down and round the edges?

thanks

I did this once.... just used a hand saw to cut it, and regular old sandpaper was enough to take off anything sharp. Then I added a Jack In The Box antenna ball, and it never looked better. :)

I used a little hacksaw and a file...took 30 seconds. The metal they use is softer than you think. :)

Just don't cut it too short...leave some slack in case your tastes change.

Yeah, it's easy to cut off the end and file it to a smooth round shape, but it won't have any chrome on it. If you want to do it really cool, cut it off at the threaded end, and get it re-threaded at a machine shop. (Or do it yourself, if you have the tools.)

I like the idea of putting a Jack in the Box ball on there, though!

Yeah, it's easy to cut off the end and file it to a smooth round shape, but it won't have any chrome on it. If you want to do it really cool, cut it off at the threaded end, and get it re-threaded at a machine shop. (Or do it yourself, if you have the tools.)

I like the idea of putting a Jack in the Box ball on there, though!

It would be cool to have artsy hihat clutches, skulls, faeries, religious symbols, etc.

My advice? Get the biggest, sharpest sword you can. Try it out on dead bodies first if you're not sure how sharp it is. Secondly, make a practice horizontal blow to the rod. Make sure it's horizontal, I cannot stress this enough. Horizontal. Horizontal. Horizontal.

Make sure you get through in one go. That's important as well. Then you'll need some strong nitric acid to just take away the edge. A minute or so contact should work. Then mix the nitric acid with some sulphur and inhale deeply.

My advice? Get the biggest, sharpest sword you can. Try it out on dead bodies first if you're not sure how sharp it is. Secondly, make a practice horizontal blow to the rod. Make sure it's horizontal, I cannot stress this enough. Horizontal. Horizontal. Horizontal.

Make sure you get through in one go. That's important as well. Then you'll need some strong nitric acid to just take away the edge. A minute or so contact should work. Then mix the nitric acid with some sulphur and inhale deeply.

I think you're emphasizing chops over groove.

Nothing wrong with having a little extra rod, IMO.

I second this preference. Rather than cutting the hi-hat stem, maybe changing up your configuration will be the better thing to do. If you do cut the stem, you will probably end up regretting it later since you will mature in your age and drum knowledge.

I second this preference. Rather than cutting the hi-hat stem, maybe changing up your configuration will be the better thing to do. If you do cut the stem, you will probably end up regretting it later since you will mature in your age and drum knowledge.

Gear should mold to the drummer, not the other way around. If he is comfortable with a low hihat then that's what he should stick with. A hihat rod can be easily fabricated or purchased.

I chopped down my hihat rod and it sticks out about an inch above the clutch. See my kit for a demo. I highly recommend it.

I always liked that extra length of rod that protruded from my upper hat cymbal. Like a cool pinnacle that sits atop a tall building. I never even thought about cutting it off. I have modified many things on my kit to suit my needs. The hi-hat rod is one thing that I never wanted to change. But if it makes you happy, then by all means do it.

Gear should mold to the drummer, not the other way around. If he is comfortable with a low hihat then that's what he should stick with. A hihat rod can be easily fabricated or purchased.

I chopped down my hihat rod and it sticks out about an inch above the clutch. See my kit for a demo. I highly recommend it.

You're right..but it still wouldn't hurt for the threadstarter to observe the configurations of other lefty drummers to gather ideas before hastily cutting the stem down to size. Other changes could be made before resorting to downgrading the stem.

You're right..but it still wouldn't hurt for the threadstarter to observe the configurations of other lefty drummers to gather ideas before hastily cutting the stem down to size. Other changes could be made before resorting to downgrading the stem.

Yeah, it's a good idea to see how other open-handed people play. At the same time, cutting down a hihat pull rod is a very easy, inexpensive and reversible modification. If he is pleased with his configuration, I think he should do it.

People who play open-handed (like me) typically play left hand hats and ride, and therefore have their hihat very low, within an inch or so of the snare, and they usually have their ride around the 10 o'clock position relative to the hats, and within six inches of their hats. To have a big rod sticking up in the middle of your left hand playing area is really obtrusive. For a crossed-armed player, the hats may be a foot or more above the snare. For that kind of separation, you need a long hihat rod.

this is why I like my DW stand...they came with two choices of rods to use. No cutting.

I would not recommend enhaling sulfur though;-)

I'm an open handed drummer so I put my hi hat very low and there's a lot of extra rod as a result. It gets in the way when switching to my ride, snare, toms... etc

What should I use to cut it? After I cut it, what should I do about the sharpened edge where it was cut? I was thinking about trying to find a rubber cap or should I find something to file it down and round the edges?

thanks
NO, NO, NO!!!
Here's an idea, don't cut off the top!! Cut off the BOTTOM of the top rod and re-thread it. No matter how much you cut off it'll look FACTORY!!

Also, get a long nut from Home Depot and re-thread the top of the piece you cut off, now you can REASSEMBLE it if needed!!!

Yeah, it's genius, admit it. :D

pipe cutter did the trick for a friend of mine
as does a large gauge bolt cutter (and honestly, who couldn't use a bolt cutter)

NO, NO, NO!!!
Here's an idea, don't cut off the top!! Cut off the BOTTOM of the top rod and re-thread it. No matter how much you cut off it'll look FACTORY!!

Also, get a long nut from Home Depot and re-thread the top of the piece you cut off, now you can REASSEMBLE it if needed!!!

This is a better suggestion, but not many households have a tap-and-die set to pull this off (although you can get Chinese ones for $10 at Slave Harbor Tools).

Chopping it off with a hacksaw and filing off the sharp edge is a perfectly acceptable alternateive for peopel who don't have threading tools, although it wouldn't look as nice.

NO, NO, NO!!!

It is a very fine idea and in fact already mentioned in post 4 by criz p. critter. Good looking out though.

Back