Ludwig Black Magic Snare: Worth Buying?

JHBThunder842

Hey I'm going to guitar center this weekend and i have $400 to spend on a new snare. I'm thinking of going with the black magic snare, because I don't and never will have enough for a black beauty:( Any feed back on how sweet this drum sounds (or lack there of) would be well appreciated. For reference I'm buying the 6.5X14. Thanks guys!

Why don't you just wait until the next trip to guitar center and save up some more money so you can get exactly what you want?

Because, unfortunately, this is the last weekend i have till I'm off to collage, then i have to save every single friggin penny i have. Shit sucks man.

Oh man...just spring another $100 for a BB. I paid $530 for mine, shipped to my door. Nothing is going to replace that BB sound. You'll never need another snare and it'll last you your entire life.

Yeah I think I might end up doing that. But really? No one has any input on the black magic? Something would be appreciated if just for side reference. Thanks for the advice though guys. Oh and zambizzi, how long have you had or did you have your BB?

Yeah I think I might end up doing that. But really? No one has any input on the black magic? Something would be appreciated if just for side reference. Thanks for the advice though guys. Oh and zambizzi, how long have you had or did you have your BB?

It's my second one. The first one I sold off to help pay for some drums I wanted. It was dumb...it's the best snare out there, IMO. Thankfully I didn't lose any money since I got the first one even cheaper. ;) In total, not very long...about 2 yrs.

This one will go to the grave with me.

No I'll grab it at your funerals. That was what you said to me, I can clearly remember ;-)

You've been forewarned...you will unleash the Curse of the Drummy!

Darnielle+Mummy.jpg

I tapped one it the GC a while back, it actually sounded really great.

I just have a hard time spending that kind of cash for the off shore version of a great drum. 20 years from now it will be an old drum. With a BB 20 years from now it will be a collector's item and may even be worth more then you paid for it. You can not go wrong with American made drums.

From what I can tell, the alloy is the same, it's just welded as opposed to seamless. I would think that this would have a very minor effect on the sound. In other words it should sound great, but I've never heard one.

I tapped one it the GC a while back, it actually sounded really great.

I just have a hard time spending that kind of cash for the off shore version of a great drum. 20 years from now it will be an old drum. With a BB 20 years from now it will be a collector's item and may even be worth more then you paid for it. You can not go wrong with American made drums.

You know, I've never thought of it like that, but it's true. Plus the BB's age alot better than the ludalloy supras. The BB price will continue to go up over the years, whereas the overseas made ones will decline in value. And, I bet that black hardware will eventually chip and look rather bad over time. I did see a used BB 6.5 on ebay awhile back for around 400$, so I would try that avenue first. If you're just going for sound, the black magic is a good sounding drum, but the resale value won't be there in the future.

My advice is to go to GC and play the drum and mess with it (tuning) for yourself. You have to mess with an tune any of the snares at shops to get any kind of feel for what you can get out of them.

Play around with it, & if it knocks you out, great, make your decision then.
It IS a nice sounding drum, it does look cool and all the plating is really well done.
It's VERY BLACK.
The die cast hoops give it a very solid sound, and Brass has a wide tuning range.
It's a nice drum.

That said, there is no other drum like a BB (I have 3. 2 Brass, one Bronze all 6.5) and Zam is right, you really won't "need" another snare....wanting more is another matter of course.

Do really well in college, and you'll end up having the money to buy whatever snare you want. It might be hard to wait, but the time is going to go by anyway.

Good luck!

Back