Falling to the dark side...

dkerwood

Silver Member
So back when I was ten, I started playing the drums. My original gear was a 196x Ludwig snare in a blue suitcase-looking drum case. When I was twelve, my grandparents pieced together a 60's Japanese kit from bits and pieces they found at garage sales and I had my first kit (and the only time I've ever seen a "metal strip" driven kick pedal).

When I was thirteen, however, I decided that I wanted to sing in a rock band. I couldn't do that from the drums (or so I thought- I had never heard of Phil Collins), so I picked up my dad's acoustic guitar. Within a few months, the grandparents came through again with a Teisco electric (terrible, TERRIBLE axe... I still have it in my closet) and a little Peavey solid state amp. I still played drums, but I was the number 3 set player in my school and quickly became the number 2 guitar player... :)

So... let's keep a tally here- at fourteen, I bought a set of Paiste 400 cymbals. Also at fourteen, I bought a Squier II Fender Stratocaster and a bigger Peavey solid state amp. Later that year, I bought a Fender amp and started my collection of guitar effects.

At sixteen, a bunch of my gear got stolen (my Paiste cymbals, acoustic and electric guitars, Fender amp, and some effects), so I bought an Alvarez Artist acoustic-electric, a Cort Strat copy. A little later this year, I also bought a Marshall Valvestate 8080 amp, and my collection of pedals continued to grow. Without cymbals, my kit tended to sit unplayed unless I could borrow cymbals from the high school. A few months later, I bought a Hohner jazz bass for use in jazz band.

When I was eighteen, I picked up a Samick Strat clone (another garage sale find), and traded that, my Marshall, and another SS Peavey amp for a 2x12 Fender combo. By now, the drumming bug was starting to pop up again, but so was the "keyboard bug" and the "bass bug".

My sophomore year of college, the need to drum finally took over again, and I bought my buddy's old Ludwig Rocker 7-piece kit with Avedis cymbals. I supplemented that with a Gibraltar rack, DW 5000 hi hat stand, a new snare, 2 A Customs, and a AAX china. Of course, at the same time, I picked up an Epiphone Les Paul and Epiphone SG, and CONTINUED to expand my collection of guitar effects. I think around the same time, I bought a Yamaha keyboard.

By my fourth year of college, I picked up a Washburn Taurus 5 string bass to supplement the jazz bass, and I started playing drums regularly at a church. I pulled my old Japanese kit out of mothballs, made it work again, and started using it for those smaller gigs. Ah, but I also picked up a Dean SS One Strat-style guitar AND a good ole Fender Strat (couldn't pass on the great deal).

It stayed this way until about last year. I started teaching in a new school which didn't have any percussionists, so I worked the band into a rhythm-and-blues-style band, with me on the set. I really got the kick to upgrade my drums, which I wasn't able to do until a few months ago- sold the Japanese kit and bought my beautiful GMS kit. Over the next few months I added a couple of cymbals to my bag, bought a new DW 5000 kick pedal and some cases for the kit... and even had some gear money left over.

That takes us up to about two weeks ago.

Last weekend I went to my closest decent drum shop (an hour away) looking for another cymbal or two to dry up my gear account. They had nothing I was interested in (at least nothing that wasn't terribly overpriced... why would I pay more for a USED cymbal than I could brand new from GC?), so I came home feeling dejected. I'm sure many of you know that feeling.

Next morning I went out to the local "school music" store, wanting to buy SOMETHING that could help me. I ended up trying out a new compressor pedal. $150 later, it's sitting on my guitar pedal board which had not been out of its case since last summer.

Then yesterday, my wife and I were killing time waiting for a concert to start, and ended up visiting one of the town's three pawn shops. Up on the wall was a beautiful Ibanez Artcore archtop jazz guitar. I had seen it before, but always assumed it was too expensive. Well, my wife commented how much she liked it, so I pulled it down. Long story short, thanks to a couple of finish cracks, I was able to pick it up with only the money left over in my gear account.

Drums, guitar, drums, guitar... After about 2-3 months of being a pure drum nut, I can feel myself switching back over to the stringed persuasion... Ahgh!!!

Nothing wrong with that.

Many musicians own other instruments.

I own several guitars, but I can only wish I could play them decently.

You're dead to me. *spits*

Just kidding. Rhythm is rhythm. It just sounds better coming from a drumkit.

Haha, i think that the combo of guitarist drummer is awesome, im one myself :D

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda.

Wow, that's a long story. Great to see you developed in different directions though. I myself picked up a... lo and behold... usb garage keyboard that I can hook up to my computer and make all kinds of fancy sounds with. I am discovering that there is actually something as different notes and started experimenting. Am I walking down a slippery slope here?

Enjoy your gear and make some great music!

Im kind in the same boat, I just got my MPC-2500 witch is a sampler(im sure you knew). My other hobby is music producing when I dont have time to bang on my drums or its to late, I can always throw some headphones on and continue to beat songs out of my mpc or mess with a keyboard

To those who care, my entire gear list (to my knowledge):

(3) drumset shell packs
(4) snare drums
(3) kick pedals
(6) crash cymbals
(2) ride cymbals
(1) pair of hats (sold my other ones)
(2) splashes
(2) chinas
(1) djembe
(2) triangles
(3) tambourines (gave my fourth to a student)
(1) vibraslap
(1) pair of bongos (more pretty than functional, I'm afraid)
(2) shaker eggs

GUITARS
(9) electric guitars (not counting my wife's)
(3) acoustic guitars (including one twelve string)
(3) guitar amps
(14) various effect pedals

BASSES
(2) electric basses
(1) bass amp

KEYBOARD/RECORDING
(1) MIDI keyboard
(2) 4 channel FW recording interfaces
(4) instrument mics
(8) dynamic mics
(2) condenser mics
(1) set of drum mics
(2) DI boxes
(1) 16 channel mixer
(1) 8 channel mixer
(1) 8 channel MD recorder

LIVE AUDIO/PERFORMANCE
(2) 15" mains
(2) 18" subs
(3) power amps
(3) monitors
(8) PAR cans
(4) effects lighting

BAND/ORCHESTRAL/OTHER
(1) violin
(1) trumpet
(1) bassoon
(2) clarinets
(1) trombone
(1) accordion
(1) melodica
(3) harmonicas

So yeah... I've got a few toys to play with. And I think in terms of sheer space, percussion still wins the day.

Impressive collection. I think it's great when drummers know how to play other instruments as well. Though it might take away from your drum practice time a little bit, our ultimate goal is to make music right? Knowing how to operate other instruments comes in handy there, and sometimes you need something besides just the drums.

I use to play guitar by turning it over and pounding away...it made a beautiful sound. When I flipped it over and strummed on those strings it made a horrifying sounds...tapping out the tunes on the back worked the best for me and now I have no guitars.

...after reading your post, my first thought is God Bless your Grand Parents.

Barry

...after reading your post, my first thought is God Bless your Grand Parents.

Barry

Amen, brother. I still get calls from my grandmother from time to time (usually at like 7am) saying, "I'm looking at a drum here at a garage sale. It's kind of a pearly white color, and it says Luhd-wig. They want twenty dollars for it. Is that too much?" or "Is Zil-something a good brand of cymbal? Is it worth 30 dollars? It's got a big K on it..."

Amen, brother. I still get calls from my grandmother from time to time (usually at like 7am) saying, "I'm looking at a drum here at a garage sale. It's kind of a pearly white color, and it says Luhd-wig. They want twenty dollars for it. Is that too much?" or "Is Zil-something a good brand of cymbal? Is it worth 30 dollars? It's got a big K on it..."

hilarious. My grandmother doesn't even know I play the drums.

Let the dark side take you my friend there is no pain just fun ! At least you will never get bored. Your solo albums will be exactly that, SOLO, no one to argue with. Rock On you are the one man band !!!!!!!

I think it's great when drummers can play more than one instrument. You tend to learn how to play for the music required i feel.

I think it's great when drummers can play more than one instrument. You tend to learn how to play for the music required i feel.

I suspect that's one of the main reasons I get hired. I don't really have great technical chops on anything I play- my drum fills are limited, I can't really shred on guitar, I can't readily read music on piano, and I'm not very fast on the bass. What I do have is that unique perspective of understanding how the other instruments approach a given situation. Then I can anticipate what they might do... and that leads to that "pocket" so much more quickly.

Back