Need Advice on Drum Set Please

RookieDrummer

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, and I want to congratulate you on a great site. There is a tremendous amount of information and experience here, and I appreciate it.

I've been lurking around the site and reading for quite some time now and have decided to go ahead and purchase a used drum set. This will be my first set, and what I've learned is that I can get more value buying a used set. And if I buy it right I can't lose much on it if I sell it down the road. Thanks to all of you that taught me that!

With that said I'm looking at a few options here that I need to make a decision on within the next couple days. This is my Christmas present.

I'm considering one of the below listed drum sets. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know which set you would buy and why. Thank you very much for your time. Here we go:

Sonor Force 2001 wine red drum set:
- Bass drum (22" diameter x 18" height)
- Snare (14" x 6")
- Floor Tom (16" x 17")
- Tom Tom (12" x 10.5")
- Tom Tom (13" x 12")
- Sabian Hi-Hat (B8 14")
- Sabian Crash Ride (B8 18")
- Drum throne (seat)

Additional items included:
- Sabian Dry Ride (AA 21") and stand
- Black Beauty Cowbell (LP204A)
- Pro-Mark telescopic nylon brushes (B-600)
- Groove Juice Cymbal & Hardware cleaner (8 fl oz)
- Three beginner drumming books

This set is in very good condition. Heads have normal wear. Shells are in near perfect condition with no dings or scratches.

This set is $500.00

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pearl Forum 5 Piece Drum Set:
Set is four years old - used in church - never gigged. Otherwise, they've just been set up in a dry warm basement for practice.

Red Wine color, in excellent condition

Includes:
21" bass
14" floor tom
12" and 10" mounted toms
14" Yamaha silver snare
14" Zildgian New Beat Hi Hat cymbals
18" Zildgian Scimitar crash/ride
20" Zildgian ZBT ride

Pearl hardware (Kick pedal, high hat stand, snare stand) Pearl throne.
Two (2) boom stands (not Pearl)

Soft cases for the drums, cymbal bag, and a trap bag included as well.

This set is $600.00

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gretsch Black Hawk 5 Piece Drum Set:

This Amazing 5 piece Gretsh Black Hawk Drum set is the perfect kit for any level of Percussionist. This is a steal, and it is in almost new condition. It sounds great when tuned up (will need tuned) and looks even better with the blue marble finish. All heads are in good shape. This package includes everything needed to set up and start Jamming!

What is Included in this kit?
-Bass Drum (with legs)
-Snare Drum (with short stand)
-2 mounted toms (with hardware)
-Floor tom (with 3 adjustable legs)
-14” Hi-Hats Cymbals*
-16” Crash Cymbal*
-20” Ride Cymbal*
*** All cymbals are Sabian Sonar Series and have Gibralter stands
-Sabian Cymbal Bag with handles and shoulder strap
-Red Gibralter clamp on stick bag
-Pair of Vic Firth Set sticks
-Pair of Guns & Roses sticks
-Pair of Cymbal Mallets
-Pair of Plastic Brushes

This set is $550.00

Gretsch Renown Maple

CHERRY RED LACQUER FINISH - PRISTINE CONDITION - FLAWLESS This kit was one of a limited number designed by and exclusively for Gretsch 5 Star Drum Shops.
Purchased new at over $1500 + additional money spent. Just selling to buy other things.
These are great drums that sound amazing and are easy to get around. Die-Cast Hoops

Items included in this Sale:

1. 18x15 Bass Drum with Levy’s soft case and extra set of Natural Keller Hoops
2. 12x8 Tom with Levy’s soft case
3. 8x8 Tom with Levy’s soft case
4. 14x14 Floor Tom with legs and Levy’s soft case
5. 14x5 Snare Drum with Levy’s soft case
6. Levy’s 48” Hardware Bag w/wheels
7. Gretsch Single Tom Mount Holder
8. Gretsch Double Tom Mount Holder
9. Two (2) DW Pacific cymbal stands
10. One (1) DW Pacific dbl braced boom cymbal stand
11. DW 5000 Hi-Hat Stand
12. Roc-n-Soc Heavyweight Drum Throne
13. Evans EC2 heads on top and Genera G1 clear heads on bottom of toms
14. Original Evans G1 white coated heads that came with the kit new

This set is $675.00

I hope what I've done here is acceptable. I don't want to make any enemies on my first post. I plan on learning a lot from you guys. Thank you very much.

The Rook

what kind of music do you play man?

the reason i ask, is cause the Gretsch Renown will be a phenomenal set. but the sizes arent for everyone, or every type of music.

personally, i would go with the Sonor.

Sonor has never really impressed me with their drums, but for the deal your getting, and with the extra's that come with it, i think its your best bet..

so, you would need snare stand, hi-hat stand, and then 2 cymbal stands..
not to much, so your prolly looking at around 600'ish' total..

Welcome to DrummerWorld man...

Alex

if you got the money get the renown maple. Its made of maple and beats out all those other kits listed in my opinion. Although those are weird sizes, but it will sound better than the other kits. look on ebay

what kind of music do you play man?

the reason i ask, is cause the Gretsch Renown will be a phenomenal set. but the sizes arent for everyone, or every type of music.

personally, i would go with the Sonor.

Sonor has never really impressed me with their drums, but for the deal your getting, and with the extra's that come with it, i think its your best bet..

so, you would need snare stand, hi-hat stand, and then 2 cymbal stands..
not to much, so your prolly looking at around 600'ish' total..

Welcome to DrummerWorld man...

Alex

Thank you very much my friend. I only want to play Contemporary Christian and gospel music. My goal is to play in the church. The snare stand, hi-hat and cymbal stands are include with the Sonor set.

Thank you very much my friend. I only want to play Contemporary Christian and gospel music. My goal is to play in the church. The snare stand, hi-hat and cymbal stands are include with the Sonor set.

Same here i play church music and contemporary, and christian rock, and sometimes i play in my church.

Same here i play church music and contemporary, and christian rock, and sometimes i play in my church.
Okay that helps then because you have a good idea of what I'm looking for. Since I'm new to this I really don't know what I'm looking for if you know what I mean. I wouldn't know what sounds better than the other. I know they use a Pearl Export set in my church.

I noticed that the drum sizes seemed to be a little smaller on the Gretsch than some of the others.

Okay that helps then because you have a good idea of what I'm looking for. Since I'm new to this I really don't know what I'm looking for if you know what I mean. I wouldn't know what sounds better than the other. I know they use a Pearl Export set in my church.

I noticed that the drum sizes seemed to be a little smaller on the Gretsch than some of the others.

Yea right now i play a pdp maple set thats great and i got this because they had the same kit at my church and i got to play it and its amazing! I suggest going to your local guitar center or music center and see if you can play some kits and get an idea for the sound you want. For instance do you want long sustain or short sustain for your drums? Maple wood has a long sustain and has a warm tone. For birch it is short sustain and has a greater attack if you know what i mean. Now thinking about it the grestch sizes are unusual so i wouldnt get that. I never played any of the other kits you got there but my advice is try to play as many drum sets you can to see what kind of sound you like. I would say maybe considering like a pearl vision or a pdp fs. But look at ebay and keep checking craigslist and you will probably find a good deal soon.

that is the best kit on the page i say...best deal anyway..

i play alot of the same stuff you do...i play guitar in the band at church, but i have alot to do with the drums..like, i make all the decisions, i just dont play them..haha

those sizes are good for about anything...and, for your goal, they'd be perfect IMO.

Alex

that is the best kit on the page i say...best deal anyway..

i play alot of the same stuff you do...i play guitar in the band at church, but i have alot to do with the drums..like, i make all the decisions, i just dont play them..haha

those sizes are good for about anything...and, for your goal, they'd be perfect IMO.

Alex

Ok and then I need what...a ride, crash and hi-hat? Would that be about it?

crap...i thought they came with that one..lol

well, what is your budget..like, most you can spend(with in reason)

cause that Sonor Force 3007 would be a great kit, and you could get a starter set of cymbals that are good for not to much..

Alex

crap...i thought they came with that one..lol

well, what is your budget..like, most you can spend(with in reason)

cause that Sonor Force 3007 would be a great kit, and you could get a starter set of cymbals that are good for not to much..

Alex
My max was originally$800 maybe $850. In fact I offered a guy $850 for a set but he wouldn't take it. I'll pull it up real quick to show you.

Here you go. Nice guy, but he wouldn't budge.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/966512763.html

yeah..that'd be nice...

but what'd id try to do, is offer the guy in this ad:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/954178856.html

$600, or less, and then:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sabian-B8-Performance-Cymbal-Pack-with-Free-Crash-104482070-i1322161.gc

everyone hates on B8's, but, i really like them..i think they are great cymbals..yes, maybe for beginners, but, i still love the sound of my hats and ride...ive upgraded crashes, but still...

others give your input, i dont want him doing it cause i said and make a wrong decision, but IMO, this is what id do..

Alex

I like the Renown from the first list and would stay away from the Blackhawk. If you can handle the size of the bass drum the rest of the hardware IMO makes it worth the price.

yeah..that'd be nice...

but what'd id try to do, is offer the guy in this ad:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/954178856.html

$600, or less, and then:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sabian-B8-Performance-Cymbal-Pack-with-Free-Crash-104482070-i1322161.gc

everyone hates on B8's, but, i really like them..i think they are great cymbals..yes, maybe for beginners, but, i still love the sound of my hats and ride...ive upgraded crashes, but still...

others give your input, i dont want him doing it cause i said and make a wrong decision, but IMO, this is what id do..

Alex

You know what, I like that idea. That is a beautiful set. I just looked at some pix on ebay and a few other places and it really is priced at over $1200. So it would have everything I need as long as I buy the cymbals because it has the stands is that right?

I like the Renown from the first list and would stay away from the Blackhawk. If you can handle the size of the bass drum the rest of the hardware IMO makes it worth the price.

Thank you for your response. I'm going to discard the Blackhawk, so at least I've narrowed it down a little more. Thank you my friend.

Back