How did you start a band or start gigging with a band?

Drummertist

Silver Member
I just wanted to know some background on you guys' band experience.

How did you start?
What went wrong at first and what went right?
Where are you now compared with when you started?

Thanks,
Drummertist

I called a few of my friends to start a band a while ago. I knew going into it that they were kind of flakey, but they were my friends and great musicians and showmen, so I decided to try out the band. After missing out on some gigs due to their flakeyness, I dissolved the band. It wasn't a break-up filled with drama, but I said simply, "I don't think I have time for this anymore--if you guys want to keep going and replace me, go ahead.", but now they won't return my calls.

I think that answers all three questions...

During the 12th grade I taught a friend of mine to play. He got into a band while I was in college, then he had to go off to the Navy and I played with his band during the summer he was in boot camp.

I recruited a couple of my mates from school to start a band and i was the bass player/bvox. Then last year they ditched me for someone not as good :p

Now i've got a new band with some kids from the other school in my area which is much better for stuff like music and drama, which it should be seeing as it's a performing arts college.

Good old Bandmix.com. I think the very first band I was involved in was because of a ad in a paper. Then I put myself on bandmix and I've received numerous replies. More than craiglist, the backpage or well any other musician site.

A guitarist tracked me down and it ends up his wife worked with my mom some 20 something years ago and a jazz saxophonist called me too. I had two gigs with the guitarist and I've played with the saxophonist cat. Not bad for not contacting anyone on bandmix. Everyone contacted me. I'm pretty lucky.

lets see.... guitar center drum off.... 2 years ago, was 15. My mom's a very outgoing person. Struck up a conversation with one of the judges, asking how i did (cause i didnt move on), he said i was good, had really good potential and wanted to teach me. Couple lessons and then he hooks me up with this guitarist he knew. the guitarist knew this bassist and away we went.

ALL through craigslist, so far. First band was a 3pc., second was a 3pc., third was a 6pc. fusion group, and now it's just me and a guitarist. I've packed a hells of a lots of bands into two years.

Some of my friends at school who I had been in jazz band with were putting together a jazz combo and needed a drummer, and I'm basically the most competent jazz drummer at my school. We were really just putting it together for fun because we all enjoy jazz music and playing but we did find a couple of paying gigs. We're all in high and school and busy so getting paid wasn't really the priority. We only played three gigs this year (we formed the combo back in October) but are always looking.

Long story...
When I was in 6th grade, I was into punk rock. I loved all the bands that nobody liked (because they all liked pop). I was into the Dead Kennedy's, G.B.H, Screeching Weasel, Crass, etc. I met this guy named Carter who shared the same musical tastes as I did. I figured out he played drums (and was f good, I played guitar). We started jamming, and it sounded really good. For two 12 year olds, this was it. Then, we recruited our friend Hank who was also very fluent at guitar/bass. We did Anti-Flag covers in Carter's basement and had a great time. Hank couldn't really play with us a lot because of sports. Carter and I persisted on. We had a friend named Patrick who was into stuff like the Pixies and Gogol Bordello. We told him to buy a bass with his birthday cash and learn how to play. He did.
We jammed and recorded on Carters 4-Track for about 2 years. We never played a gig because Carter didn't want to "play out" saying that "this was just for fun". Patrick and I really wanted to play gigs, but Carter held us back. Finally, in December of 2007, a teacher of Carter's got us a gig at a big venue for a benefit he was throwing. Patrick and I were so excited. Carter, naturally said he didn't want to do it. We got this guy 10 years older than us to play drums (I still played guitar in the band, but had gotten sort of good at drums because of how I watched Carter play). The gig went great, and Patrick and I realized our full potential. We kicked Carter out. We then found this guy named Eric. He was a killer guitarist who had been playing Van Halen and Metallica tunes at the show. We asked him if he wanted to join a punk rock band (we made friends with him after we heard him singing "Why does it hurt when I pee" by Frank Zappa). He said yes. He joined our band, and we have been gigging ever since. We are known as "North Carolina's youngest Thrash/Punk band".

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved to the city and started working as a club-drummer, six nights a week. I've been in a more than a few bands, but for the most part I've just been a drummer-for-hire, just another professional musician.
These days I have my own jazz quartet playing my songs, but we don't play out very much. I'm finishing up a CD and I'll see where it goes from there.

I had a friend who was a drummer in a band and I eventually replaced him when he left. When that fell apart I met some other guys and formed a band with them. When that fell apart, etc...
I've auditioned and got in bands that way. You can place an ad or answer them. There are a number of ways to go about it, whatever works. Problems? In any band there are going to be issues to deal with. You can pretty much count on that. Meeting the right people is one of the toughest things but when you do and things click it's fantastic. No pain no gain.

When I was in school, It was a very small school. I was one of 2 drummers, and the more experienced, so I played the majority of the school functions, as well as being the drummer at my church. We started a couple of bands for school functions during my Junior and senior years, Talent shows, school concerts, etc.

After I graduated I was called on a regular basis as a fill in drummer or asked to join various bands. and in 1991 I was hooked up by a friend of mine who left his band and gave me the number of the leader of the band "Godsword", I met with the band that weekend and jammed with them. I was asked to stop playing and let the other drummer who was there finish out the night, as he would most likely be doing the drum tracks for the c.d. they were working on, (and they were all 10 years older then me). THAT was humiliating.

Anyway, a few weeks later Ken (The leader) called me up and invited me over to his house to jam some more as he liked my feel, and we meshed well. I played exactly what he was looking for, though the style that time was much less heavy then the weeks previous. I ended up doing the tracks for the cd after I got a better feel for his music and stayed with the band for 10 years.

Since then I have been asked to join 2 or 3 bands (Originals and covers) and am currently playing for a classic rock band and gearing up to form my own originals band.

Well, could be along story, but I will do the Reader's Digest.

Started to play drums in school band. My parents bought me a very used set from a pawn shop.
My older brother plays bass and a few of his friends played guitar.
We used to just mess around and jam old rock tunes(Zeppelin-Hendrix. ETC) in someones basement or whatever.
Then I started to play with a friend of mine who was a EVH nut and we jam some tunes with a tone def singer and sometimes, my brother jammed with us.
But I wanted to play originals and become a rock star-so I put an ad up at a local music store.

A singer from a band found the ad, and the band called me up for an auditioned.
I auditioned, they said I was good but was looking for someone with a black drum set(huh?-my set was blue glitter colored)

This was in the late 80's mind you. I went out and bought a black pearl export set and addittioned for them a few months later. This time it worked and in a short few months, we were playing clubs in and around the Detroit area. We never went above the opening for other bands level. A few months later I quit becuase I did not get along with the band anymore(everyone was related except me). After I quit, my replacement played sets with glitter on them..

After that I jammed with a few other bands. One being a band that was influenced by the likes of Marillion, Queensrche..ETC. I regret quiting that band.(My first gigging band mentioned above wanted me back-I kick myself)

So, anywho...I got married to someone whom I thought supported my playing, but did a 180 as soon as she said I do. Would not let me jam with anyone. Not even my brother.

We had some kids..moved to GA...and then divorced.

So I decided to start playing again. I put an ad on craigslist about 10 months ago, and now playing with a rock cover band-we just got our singer about 4 months ago-but we have not yet to play a gig, except a party.

I put another ad on craigslist a couple of days ago seeing if any jazz or blues bands needed a drummer who is new to those genres. I got a response, and hopefully this weekend I will have found a second home. I am looking to expand my horizons a bit..

Last edited:
Started playing drums in Church. I was horrible. Our first choir singspiration was great (except for my drumming). There were 5 other choirs there and sad to say, I was laughed at by several other drummers. This of course gave me the desire to become better. After wearing out 3 Walkmans playing Metal and studying Funk& Gospel with a good friend, I auditioned for the District Choir. I played and traveled all over California & Arizona with this 50-voice choir from age 15 to 19. I continued to play in English/Spanish Ministries learning Latin and Jazz rhythms. This year I finished my very first full LP with Steve J. Walker Band and Testify, a Christian Metal band.

In high school, my band director literally grabbed myself and two other guys and said, "Look, you are the best drummer, guitarist, and bass player I've had come through here in quite some time, and you all love the same musicians. I know you don't get along very well, but suck it up and make some good music together." So, we formed a band, even though we didn't like each other. Soon, we were best friends.

Unfortunately, we all messed around with different drugs, let girls come between us, etc. The band broke up, but such is life. Bands change, but the music goes on. I'm now playing professionally. Yay!

We are known as "North Carolina's youngest Thrash/Punk band".

Where in NC are you? I'm in Wilson, about 40 min. east of Raleigh. I'd love to come see you guys play sometime. -t.

I just wanted to know some background on you guys' band experience.

How did you start?
What went wrong at first and what went right?
Where are you now compared with when you started?

Thanks,
Drummertist

Started in high school, some of the other geeks in marching band played guitar, we got another friend of mine to pick up bass guitar and started a cover band. Our first gig: High school talent show where we won third place (contest was rigged, some drama students won 1st for a stupid skit that everyone agreed sucked and failed miserably but the talent show judge was the drama teacher, go figure.)

Almost twenty years later, i'm in South Florida's best up and coming progressive metal band. I've progressed light years since but any time i starting thinking to myself that i'm going to be the next great drummer in MD magazine, i just come here and watch some videos to put me back in my place

Me and this other kid in my high school came into class wearing a guitarcenter shirt. So I asked him what he played, he said he played bass with his friend who played guitar. Then I jammed with them one day and we formed a band. Now we have a singer, same guitarist, me on drums, and the bass player left.

hahah I just went to the bandmix website to check it out and low and behold the second band listed in my area had a picture of them playing on my drum set... which I set up at a local open mic...I thought it was hilarious.

But my roommate I was paired with in college plays guitar and I play drums... We would doodle together sometimes. Then about 2 years later we decided (after playing a gig that we threw together last minute) to look for a bassist.

We found one where I work... And then maybe another one... Started playing some open mics. Got a paid gig. And maybe another one. And maybe a keyboardist/violinist/female vocalist. And that's where we are now!

Started in high school, some of the other geeks in marching band played guitar, we got another friend of mine to pick up bass guitar and started a cover band. Our first gig: High school talent show where we won third place (contest was rigged, some drama students won 1st for a stupid skit that everyone agreed sucked and failed miserably but the talent show judge was the drama teacher, go figure.)

Almost twenty years later, i'm in South Florida's best up and coming progressive metal band. I've progressed light years since but any time i starting thinking to myself that i'm going to be the next great drummer in MD magazine, i just come here and watch some videos to put me back in my place

Have you heard of Ghost of Gloria? Their drummer, Mark Poisez, is incredible. He went to my high school, then went to University of Miami, did all kinds of stuff down there, and now his band either is getting signed, or just got signed. I know they won some huge contest and got to record with some industry heavies. If you haven't heard of him, you're missing out...check out www.ghostofgloria.com or www.myspace.com/ghostofgloria. Go check out a show in South Florida, and if you get a chance, talk to Mark. He's not only amazing, but he's a cool dude. He got to my high school the year after I left, so you'd think we'd have competitive attitudes...I was the outgoing awesome drummer, he was the incoming awesome drummer, but we've always gotten along and hoped for the best for each other. I respect that so much.

Back