Eveans G Plus heads

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Anyone using these? Would love to hear some feed back on them. Just saw them for the first time at Guitar Center on a Gretsch Catalina Maple. Sounded decent but the tuning on the drums was a little off so hard to really tell from that. Looks like a hybrid G1/G2 so it should give a little more sustain than a G2 yet be more durable than the G1.

i might try the coated g plus..... either that or the coated g2

Anyone using these? Would love to hear some feed back on them. Just saw them for the first time at Guitar Center on a Gretsch Catalina Maple. Sounded decent but the tuning on the drums was a little off so hard to really tell from that. Looks like a hybrid G1/G2 so it should give a little more sustain than a G2 yet be more durable than the G1.

See this thread.

The G-plus is a thicker (12mil) single-ply head. Because it is thicker it has greater sustain than the G1, which is thinner, and considerably more than a G2, which is 2-ply.

Durability has more to do with stick angles, tip shape, and the relative sanity of the drummer than the thickness or number of plies. My kid is the hardest hitter I've ever heard (no sh!t) and he never dents his single-ply heads. Ever.

They sound nice, about you would expect from a thicker G1: a bit fatter, denser, more sustain. I've actually been using a couple as resos on my kid's kit. With the tuning we have on his 8-10-12-14f-16f the 8 and 10 didn't sustain as long as the other drums. With the G-plus resos they match up much better. If you have a drum that at its preferred tuning doesn't match the sustain of your other drums, this is a great way to even things up.

i might try the coated g plus..... either that or the coated g2

Be advised that the "coated" version of the G-plus is the Evans frosty "coating," not a real sprayed-on coating. To my ear the Evans frosty finish sounds like ass, more plasticky attack and no useful improvement in tone. Ugh. Stick with clears.

If Evans ever offered the G-plus with a real coating I'd be all over them as batters.

See this thread.

The G-plus is a thicker (12mil) single-ply head. Because it is thicker it has greater sustain than the G1, which is thinner, and considerably more than a G2, which is 2-ply.

Durability has more to do with stick angles, tip shape, and the relative sanity of the drummer than the thickness or number of plies. My kid is the hardest hitter I've ever heard (no sh!t) and he never dents his single-ply heads. Ever.

They sound nice, about you would expect from a thicker G1: a bit fatter, denser, more sustain. I've actually been using a couple as resos on my kid's kit. With the tuning we have on his 8-10-12-14f-16f the 8 and 10 didn't sustain as long as the other drums. With the G-plus resos they match up much better. If you have a drum that at its preferred tuning doesn't match the sustain of your other drums, this is a great way to even things up.

Be advised that the "coated" version of the G-plus is the Evans frosty "coating," not a real sprayed-on coating. To my ear the Evans frosty finish sounds like ass, more plasticky attack and no useful improvement in tone. Ugh. Stick with clears.

If Evans ever offered the G-plus with a real coating I'd be all over them as batters.

Thanks for the link! I've never had a problem with denting a head, I was taught not to play through the head. Just wondering about durability in tuning and wear

OK I just changed all my heads to G pluses...I didn't prefer them, and am back to 10 mil single ply heads. They sounded OK in my studio, but when I gigged with them, I didn't like them as much as what I had before.To crystalize what I didn't like about them, I felt I lost the attack. Meaning when I hit the G pluses, it sounded like "Oooom" rather than "Dooom". That's the best way I could describe them. But you may like them, depends on what you want. They are more "bassy" than the 10 mil head, but at the expense of the attack, they just didn't do it for me.

I thought Evans rolled their coating on their heads?

OK I just changed all my heads to G pluses...I didn't prefer them, and am back to 10 mil single ply heads. They sounded OK in my studio, but when I gigged with them, I didn't like them as much as what I had before.To crystalize what I didn't like about them, I felt I lost the attack. Meaning when I hit the G pluses, it sounded like "Oooom" rather than "Dooom". That's the best way I could describe them. But you may like them, depends on what you want. They are more "bassy" than the 10 mil head, but at the expense of the attack, they just didn't do it for me.

If they're 10/12/14, wanna sell 'em cheap? :D I'm intrigued but hesitant to buy new ones before I hear them, but for a bargain on some gently used ones, I might bite... But I don't get how they could have less attack than G2's...??

^ Trying out new heads by buying a whole set of them for your kit is expensive. What I do is buy a single head each of two or three candidates for just one drum--say, the 12". Try them out one after the other and you usually get a pretty good idea of what a whole kit of them will sound like without spending too much money.

No. See here.

Thats different. The "frosted" coating he is talking about is not what they show in the video.

Regardless, Evens coating has always held up better than Remo so I am not sure what difference it makes how they apply it.

G plus Clear
http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVProducts.aspx?ID=1&CLASS=RDRA

G Plus Frosted
http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVProducts.aspx?ID=1&CLASS=RDRB

G1 Coated
http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVProducts.aspx?ID=1&CLASS=RDHB

If they're 10/12/14, wanna sell 'em cheap? :D I'm intrigued but hesitant to buy new ones before I hear them, but for a bargain on some gently used ones, I might bite... But I don't get how they could have less attack than G2's...??

I'll sell them to you for 25.00 (10/12/14) and I'll ship them to you. I used them for one night, no dents, as good as new, I'm not what you consider a hard hitter. Let me know.

Thats different. The "frosted" coating he is talking about is not what they show in the video.

No. I mentioned the "sprayed on" REAL coating, he said he thought it was rolled on, I posted the video.

Regardless, Evens coating has always held up better than Remo so I am not sure what difference it makes how they apply it.

No. I have used coated Ambassadors for decades without any instance of premature wearing off of the coating. Not once.

Here's my son's snare drum. The coated ambassador batter is over one year old. It is played daily, gigged frequently--rock, with the kit unmiked--and my kid is the hardest hitter I've ever seen.

IMG_1562a.jpg

Folks who wear off Remo's coating prematurely are either using high stick angles or chipped (wood) tips or gouged (nylon) tips.

It should be reiterated, now that things are thus confused: the Evans frosty "coating" (found on the EC1, EC2, and G-plus models, perhaps others, too) is not a coating at all, it's a surface texture of the mylar itself. It does not sound anything like a sprayed-on coating and, in fact, it gives the heads an even more plasticky attack. Beware.

Folks who wear off Remo's coating prematurely are either using high stick angles or chipped (wood) tips or gouged (nylon) tips.

This ain't my first rodeo. The Coated G1's I pulled off my kit after a year of use are still intact. The Coated ambs I put on started chipping the day I put them on. I am not using damaged sticks and the angles are as flat as they can be.

It is what it is. What it is not is user error. I have seen it happen personally as have a handful of locals who are for more skilled than I. Its not stopping them from continuing to use them but its certainly not user error.

Well, I'll be damned: over the course of three decades I've gotten nothing but the good coated Ambassadors and somehow you and your buds have gotten all the bad ones.

Helluva coincidence, innit?

The Coated G1's I pulled off my kit after a year of use are still intact. The Coated ambs I put on started chipping the day I put them on. I am not using damaged sticks and the angles are as flat as they can be.

I've had a similar experience with Remo's coated heads. The coating starts chipping off after a short time. The Evans coating lasts longer than the life of the heads.

Well, I'll be damned: over the course of three decades I've gotten nothing but the good coated Ambassadors and somehow you and your buds have gotten all the bad ones.

Helluva coincidence, innit?

The words you are looking for are "fact" and "reality", not "coincidence". Possibly "humility" as well. You aren't the only experienced drummer on the planet.

Back