Cajon vs Djembe

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
My band and I have been playing more open mics at small cafes and restaurants lately, where full drum kits and such are a little overkill. Sometimes I can get away with just a kick, snare, hi-hat but I want to explore the possibility of getting a cajon or a djembe as a replacement for all that to get me by. That will certainly lighten my cargo load and be more space-conservative while preserving the tone of our music. Probably the only other thing I'd bring is my little egg shakers.

For those who have been in similar situations what would you recommend here? Cajon or Djembe? And any specific models or sizes, etc would be appreciated. Price is not a HUGE factor but let's not go overboard on that but be value-conscious!

I was in that situation about a year ago. The cajon is create especially with other acoustic instruments. In my mind it has so much more of a drum kit feel then a djembe. For me djembes always "rang" out too much where with a cajon, you can get great deep thumps along with the snare sounds. I've gotten so many compliments on the sound of mine over the year. I use the $100 AA Meinl one from Musicians Friend.

Cajons are "in style" right now, like djembes were about 10 years ago. I would recommend a cajon, because if you're using it to substitute a drum beat from a drum set, it will sound closer to one.

I've heard way too many drummers playing "rock beats" on djembes over the years, and it's annoying if you've actually heard what a djembe should sound like. Inexperienced drummers tend to pick up a percussion instrument and assume that they can play it, without actually learning how to play it traditionally. It's about as grating to me as someone playing congas, and playing the "kick" part on a tumba and the "snare" part on a quinto.

Cajons are "in style" right now, like djembes were about 10 years ago. I would recommend a cajon, because if you're using it to substitute a drum beat from a drum set, it will sound closer to one.

I've heard way too many drummers playing "rock beats" on djembes over the years, and it's annoying if you've actually heard what a djembe should sound like. Inexperienced drummers tend to pick up a percussion instrument and assume that they can play it, without actually learning how to play it traditionally. It's about as grating to me as someone playing congas, and playing the "kick" part on a tumba and the "snare" part on a quinto.

Caddy, my friend, if we can pick up and play a samba on the drum set, we should certainly be able to play Blink 182 on the djembe. :-D I do agree that congas should NEVER be used as a bass and snare... sigh...

For my vote, I say a djembe. Even when the "experts" play the cajon, I'm not really impressed by the range of sound. The "bass" sounds snare-y and the "snare" sounds a lot like slapping the side of a wooden box. Come to think of it, that's what the bass sounds like, too. Played in a group, the bass and snare become indistinguishable and turn into slapping sixteenth notes, at least to my ear.

The djembe is far more versatile IMHO. You can get a deep boom and a tight pop when it's needed. It also carries better acoustically than the cajon tends to do (IME).

I've tried to like cajons, really I have. When I first saw one in high school, I thought you were supposed to play the top like a square conga. Since then, I educated myself and did all the research. I've sat down with many a cajon, and I just don't like them- not enough sounds to stay interesting past about 3 minutes. I've also never seen anyone- live, YouTube, or otherwise- who makes me go, "Wow! I've got to go out and have me a cajon now!"

Just my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation and invested in the stock market.

If you go with a djembe, get a full size drum and not one of the little toy versions that you see so often at drum circles. You need to be able to get both of your hands fully on the head to play it right. Depending on the size of your hands, this usually means at least 12" across and maybe up to 14". You're going to spend about $300 to get a good one new - unless you can find a deal on a used one. Malean djembes are reputable.

Cajons are very cool and fun and I'd love to have one. But I think you will have more dynamic range with a good djembe if you're willing to invest a little time to learn how to play it.

I have played an unmic'd djembe along with amplified instruments to good effect. Mine has a bass note like a sonic boom; it could easily overwhelm a small cafe if played recklessly.

Let us know what you decide to do.

I just bought a cajon (Meinl) about a year ago from GC for around $150.00. It works great for a small acoustic setting. As others have stated, you're not going to get as much of a range with a cajon as with a djembe but the cajon will do the trick if played properly.

Plus, with the cajon you get a seat and an instrument in one! (Less to lug around) ;>)

I almost forgot.........I, too, use the egg shakers when playing the cajon- great sound. Another cool effect to use with the cajon......brushes! They sound awesome.

Just thought I'd throw those ideas out. You can get as creative as you want with it.

I almost forgot.........I, too, use the egg shakers when playing the cajon- great sound. Another cool effect to use with the cajon......brushes! They sound awesome.

Just thought I'd throw those ideas out. You can get as creative as you want with it.

I've used brushes on a djembe before, too! Sounds great. If you're playing a mic'ed gig, you can move the drum closer to the overhead mic and use your hands as "brushes".

Thanks guys for all the comments so far.. I'm leaning towards a Cajon as well, plus I get a "seat" for free hahahaha. The Meinl ones on MF will probably do the job as someone suggested. I've heard and seen them in action, I think they sound pretty cool!

Thanks guys for all the comments so far.. I'm leaning towards a Cajon as well, plus I get a "seat" for free hahahaha. The Meinl ones on MF will probably do the job as someone suggested. I've heard and seen them in action, I think they sound pretty cool!

If you can, try out a "Fat Cajon" or "Jaleo" brand cajon. They're the best, in my opinion. I judge the sound of all others I hear against these. They're a little spendy, though. I still am shopping around for the right box...

But, you don't have to worry about the heads going out of tune when you play outside...

You don't have to worry about that with these either. People think rope tuned drums are prone to going out of tune, or are sensitive to the outdoors. Poorly made drums are, but people who know how to make real drums use pre-stretched rope, and properly dried, untreated skins. If you use American cow calf or goat, there is a lot more fat content in the skin than in African animals. The fat content leads to stretching. Also, American animals skin is more adapted to the change in seasons, so you get funky hair growth and lots of elasticity. This make for bad drum skin.

The djembe was born outdoors in West Africa. Sure, to some degree direct sun or direct exposure to fire can cause tightening, but its not hard to keep a good drum in tune, and if you don't treat these drums like crap, they won't sound like crap. They aren't violins, they are very simple, but specific instruments that you hit very hard repeatedly. They are meant to be played intensely for hours, and can certainly handle being played outside. Just don't do something stupid like leave it outside overnight in the spring or fall.... Or winter...

The djembe was born outdoors in West Africa. Sure, to some degree direct sun or direct exposure to fire can cause tightening, but its not hard to keep a good drum in tune, and if you don't treat these drums like crap, they won't sound like crap. They aren't violins, they are very simple, but specific instruments that you hit very hard repeatedly.

Hey Garvin,
Quick question: I have a West African Djembe 1" thick wood, about 16" in diameter at the batter head and 36" tall. It has two minute cracks in the shell about 6" long starting at the top batter and going verticle down the shell. The cracks aren't wide, maybe a bit over 1/16" wide, but less than 1/4". My question is how can I fix those cracks or can they be fixed since the shell is 1" thick? And what type of replacement head should I get? The drum uses rope to tune the heads. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

David

A cajon is likely to be cheaper and more forgiving. I think a djembe would be more expressive, but they are very annoying if not tuned and handled with at least some degree of knowledge. I'm not saying you have to be an expert, but I've seen my share of badly tuned and badly played djembes and it makes you want to shout: "Just shut up! SHUT UP!"

And yeah, the cajon gives you a place to sit. That's really a plus, if you're doing this for mobility. They are also lighter. The shell of a real djembe is carved by hand from a single, solid piece of hardwood. They can be very heavy.

There's a local Celtic band with a very talented young percussionist who plays a mean cajon. I've heard it mic'd up for a concert setting and he can get some infectious, wicked beats of out it.

Try some bells around one ankle when you play. They provide a nice subtle touch as you keep time with your foot.

Absolutely agreed! I've played on many of the Remo djembes, and you can never get the authentic sounds out of them. The slap sucks. The bass booms, but it lacks warmth and tone. But, you don't have to worry about the heads going out of tune when you play outside...

Some of the Remos sound really nice for certain applications - so long as no one confuses them for a real djembe. They simply do not work for West African percussion. But they work well for other purposes and most of the ones I've played have a sweet, pleasing tone. I wouldn't necessarily dismiss them all as "crap."

You don't have to worry about that with these either. People think rope tuned drums are prone to going out of tune, or are sensitive to the outdoors. Poorly made drums are, but people who know how to make real drums use pre-stretched rope, and properly dried, untreated skins. If you use American cow calf or goat, there is a lot more fat content in the skin than in African animals. The fat content leads to stretching. Also, American animals skin is more adapted to the change in seasons, so you get funky hair growth and lots of elasticity. This make for bad drum skin.

The djembe was born outdoors in West Africa. Sure, to some degree direct sun or direct exposure to fire can cause tightening, but its not hard to keep a good drum in tune, and if you don't treat these drums like crap, they won't sound like crap. They aren't violins, they are very simple, but specific instruments that you hit very hard repeatedly. They are meant to be played intensely for hours, and can certainly handle being played outside. Just don't do something stupid like leave it outside overnight in the spring or fall.... Or winter...

I guess that my djembe, made in Ghana, is a poorly-made, non-real instrument, made by people who don't know how to make djembes or treat their skins properly. My mistake...

Some of the Remos sound really nice for certain applications - so long as no one confuses them for a real djembe.

What does THAT mean? Of course they're a real djembe! Just, you know, made completely out of synthetic materials...

They simply do not work for West African percussion. But they work well for other purposes...

What else would you want to use a djembe for, to fill in for a drum set on a quiet gig? Ha ha ha...please...

...and most of the ones I've played have a sweet, pleasing tone. I wouldn't necessarily dismiss them all as "crap."

I've played a couple that have pleasing open tones, but for the most part, I haven't played any that encompass a good slap, open, and bass tone all in one. I'm not completely dismissing them as "crap", just speaking comparably to djembes made in West Africa...

I guess that my djembe, made in Ghana, is a poorly-made, non-real instrument, made by people who don't know how to make djembes or treat their skins properly. My mistake...

Yeah, even a lot of stuff that comes out of Africa is garbage. You get guys who aren't drum makers using cheap wood and getting paid by the drum, not by the hour. Selling what are essentially tourist toys Just cause something comes from Africa doesn't mean its good either.

I am being extremely harsh about this because the difference between a real instrument and something that kind of looks like the real thing is huge. I know that just because something is synthetic doesn't mean its crap. But it shouldn't be called a djembe either. More like a "goblet drum" or "djimbitation". I've heard a lot of folks play synthetic drums and they sound great, but they don't sound like djembes.

Back