What’s your most recent accomplishment when it comes to playing?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
This past weekend, I worked WAAY too long on learning a little snare drum fill from this amazing country song. The fill is from 2:49-2:51. It’s a cool part, and I’m glad I took the time to learn it.

How about you? What’s the most recent thing you’ve learned?

Learned a setlist with a few songs I wasn’t previously familiar with for an upcoming gig. It’s a fairly high profile thing, so there’s an additional pressure that’s getting me out of my comfort zone in a good way.

Some of the songs I wasn’t familiar with:

Shut Up And Dance by Walk The Moon
You Should Probably Leave by Chris Stapleton
Good As You by Kane Brown
21 Summer by The Brothers Osborne
Your Man by Josh Turner but reimagined as an ode to Al Green
Valerie by Amy Winehouse (the BBC Live version)

This gig is with a guy who made it to runner up a few years ago on The Voice, and is still trading on that. A little bit bigger gig than my usual wine bars and country clubs this time, with a different dynamic level and energy level. It’s been a great challenge and I’m grateful for the opportunity!

Last edited:
We pretty much nailed "Bonded By Blood" (Exodus) and "Denim And Leather" (Saxon) on our last rehearsal, first try. I have only heard those songs before going off to practice. Last one was pretty basic, the first one needed a bit more focus... But already sounded good enough to do live, I would say 🙂

I entered week 3 of playing drums again after a 12 year or so break. Playing to my old albums to get back into the swing of things. Been working on limb independence. It’s crazy how your brain knows what to do but your limbs don’t react after being away from it for so long. It’s going well so far……..

I worked on a lot of Fearless flyers songs-with Nate Smith drumming. Learned Simon F16,etc, and then Assassin which is a real task. So being a Corey Wong fan I was watching some of his live videos and found this one that first song is Assassin but a different drummer and whole different take. So I've been learning it which is first 4 minutes or so, then the next two song and a full 13 minutes are just fantastic songs too so I keep on drumming. It's been difficult breaking from the Nate's approach on hats-but I like this drummer's snare accents the song perfectly. I just love this video-so full of energy I can't listen without hopping. It's a lot easier to play this on my ekit but I think a lot of that is ergonomics of kit (closer together and wood block is hitting rim of floor) and mesh are more bouncy. My ekit toms sound fantastic compared to acoustic too.

Last edited:
I started learning the half time shuffle Purdie, Pocaro, Bonham recorded. I got the hands pretty much down but never complete it past doing the kick on 1. I'm not a motivated student.

The lazy plan is to just learn the full movement with the brain by internalizing the pattern until it's engrained so well that sitting down to kick it is just a mechanical exercise and not a mental AND mechanical exercise.

Hopefully 1 day I'll get to bass and sing that Yoakam song. I practice doing it at home.

Last edited:
Just recorded a full-length album this past weekend. 9 songs of difficult progressive rock where nearly every song is in an odd time signature with multiple time signature changes, all recorded to a click. Nailed everything within 2 takes plus a handful of punch ins here and there. We recorded at Apogee Studio in Santa Monica, which has a vintage Neve console so my drums sounded really good! We only recorded drums in there, the rest will be recorded elsewhere. I can’t wait to get it all finished up!

IMG_5038.jpeg
IMG_5033.jpegIMG_5036.jpeg

Just recorded a full-length album this past weekend. 9 songs of difficult progressive rock where nearly every song is in an odd time signature with multiple time signature changes, all recorded to a click. Nailed everything within 2 takes plus a handful of punch ins here and there. We recorded at Apogee Studio in Santa Monica, which has a vintage Neve console so my drums sounded really good! We only recorded drums in there, the rest will be recorded elsewhere. I can’t wait to get it all finished up!

View attachment 145441
View attachment 145442View attachment 145443
Nice! And kudos to you for playing prog-rock on a 1 up, 2 down setup!

Nice! And kudos to you for playing prog-rock on a 1 up, 2 down setup!
Thanks! I actually switched to that setup a little over a year ago after playing a 2-up/2-down setup for many years. I bought a matching 13” tom that I’m now using in place of the 10” & 12” toms, plus I swapped my floor toms so my 16” is closer and the 14” is in the 2nd position. That gives me a 13/16/22 setup plus the extra floor tom that I use for certain fills. I’m really enjoying this new setup and I don’t see me going back.

Thanks! I actually switched to that setup a little over a year ago after playing a 2-up/2-down setup for many years. I bought a matching 13” tom that I’m now using in place of the 10” & 12” toms, plus I swapped my floor toms so my 16” is closer and the 14” is in the 2nd position. That gives me a 13/16/22 setup plus the extra floor tom that I use for certain fills. I’m really enjoying this new setup and I don’t see me going back.
Ha! I picked up a 13" rack tom a few months ago to round out my set. Now I'm running a 13/16/22, but with an 18" floor tom (next to the 16" floor tom), as well as a 14" floor tom to the left if I want it.

There's just something about the intervals of 13/16/22 that seems to be missing in the 10/12/14/16/22 setups that are so prevalent these days.

Ha! I picked up a 13" rack tom a few months ago to round out my set. Now I'm running a 13/16/22, but with an 18" floor tom (next to the 16" floor tom), as well as a 14" floor tom to the left if I want it.

There's just something about the intervals of 13/16/22 that seems to be missing in the 10/12/14/16/22 setups that are so prevalent these days.
I totally agree with you about the intervals of 13/16/22. I’d never owned that setup until a year ago, so I never knew what I was missing. I’ve thought about picking up an 18” floor tom to make it a more traditional 1-up/2-down setup, but I’ve grown to like having the floor toms reversed. It forces me to think differently about certain fills and I’m liking the results.

I totally agree with you about the intervals of 13/16/22. I’d never owned that setup until a year ago, so I never knew what I was missing. I’ve thought about picking up an 18” floor tom to make it a more traditional 1-up/2-down setup, but I’ve grown to like having the floor toms reversed. It forces me to think differently about certain fills and I’m liking the results.
Well, there's nothing like an 18" floor tom! And a 14" floor tom on the other side opens up a nice creative potential. I say, go for it.

Back