What stick size do you use?

What stick size do you use?

• Total voters
Whelp.... back to the trusty 2B's again. I tried the Ahead Rock sticks again last Friday and after 3 songs i felt my shoulder and arm muscles acting up again. Immediately switched back to the 2B's and didn't had any problems yesterday with my shoulders aching etc. Liked how the Ahead sticks feel and how much definition i get out of the cymbals, but somewhat sad that my body also has a negative reaction to them (read that more people experience the same or similar discomfort). Really like the idea of just replacing sleeves etc., but this experiment has ended haha. They do made me realise i need nylon tips again for a better stick definition on the hats and ride! So time to see if there any nylon tipped 2B's.
I recommend Vater nylon 2B sticks. :) (y)

Whelp.... back to the trusty 2B's again. I tried the Ahead Rock sticks again last Friday and after 3 songs i felt my shoulder and arm muscles acting up again. Immediately switched back to the 2B's and didn't had any problems yesterday with my shoulders aching etc. Liked how the Ahead sticks feel and how much definition i get out of the cymbals, but somewhat sad that my body also has a negative reaction to them (read that more people experience the same or similar discomfort). Really like the idea of just replacing sleeves etc., but this experiment has ended haha. They do made me realise i need nylon tips again for a better stick definition on the hats and ride! So time to see if there any nylon tipped 2B's.
These are listed as "5B", but .610" seems like a pretty fat 5B. Closer to 2B's I've played.
Says it has a "protected" shoulder area.
Thought it might interest you....

1709804243383.png

Reactions: iCe
New guy here,

What is the size/ shape difference between 5A and 7A sticks?

( I have 2 pair 5A, one brand very light/maple?, and one, much heavier hickory)

*I'm just hitting a practice pad, and soon, a snare. ( with sticks & brushes)
( and I'm old R&R, blues/swing, and even a bit, jazz-oriented, guitar player- so I like similar, on the drums)
Thanks!

these are the sticks i use :)

New guy here,

What is the size/ shape difference between 5A and 7A sticks?

( I have 2 pair 5A, one brand very light/maple?, and one, much heavier hickory)

*I'm just hitting a practice pad, and soon, a snare. ( with sticks & brushes)
( and I'm old R&R, blues/swing, and even a bit, jazz-oriented, guitar player- so I like similar, on the drums)
Thanks!
7A are usually much thinner and smaller than 5A, designed for light playing :)

Thanks guys! I really like the very light, cheapo 5A's that came with my practice pad.

But am also using the heavier Hickory 5A's (' GoodWood by Vater') I got from Sweetwater.

* Just starting, practice pad exercises

iu

I usually play with 5A's but also 7A's at band rehearsal.

BTW: what I noticed - coming back to drums after a long break - is that the sticks matter less than in the past.
I use the regular Vic Firth 5A's but also cheapo Thomann and Musicstore brand 5A's / 7A's and can't say I play better or worse with any of them.
Durability can be another issue though.

I usually play with 5A's but also 7A's at band rehearsal.

BTW: what I noticed - coming back to drums after a long break - is that the sticks matter less than in the past.
I use the regular Vic Firth 5A's but also cheapo Thomann and Musicstore brand 5A's / 7A's and can't say I play better or worse with any of them.
Durability can be another issue though.
I'm completely green as I'm a guitar player, just hitting RLRLRLRL...etc., on a practice pad.

But I gotta say I was shocked that a pair of Vic Firth or Pro Mark sticks were $15!
( I know I should not be as today, everything is expensive!)

That's quite a jump from the import maple, and hickory 5A's I bought which are $4 & $5.

Yet I admit, I'm kind of lusting for the 'big boy, real drummer' sticks- curious to feel and hear if there is an upgrade in quality. Probably better tone and more durable?

( better, grade or cut of woods? Just Like on guitars)

I'm completely green as I'm a guitar player, just hitting RLRLRLRL...etc., on a practice pad.

But I gotta say I was shocked that a pair of Vic Firth or Pro Mark sticks were $15!
( I know I should not be as today, everything is expensive!)

That's quite a jump from the import maple, and hickory 5A's I bought which are $4 & $5.

Yet I admit, I'm kind of lusting for the 'big boy, real drummer' sticks- curious to feel and hear if there is an upgrade in quality. Probably better tone and more durable?

( better, grade or cut of woods? Just Like on guitars)
Yeah, there can be differences in wood density, (therefore) weight and feel, tone - ever noticed that on the pad? - and durability.
I think Vic Firth lasts longer but not 3 times as long (as high as the costs are).

BTW: also 5A's between brands can differ a bit in length, diameter, taper (where the stick gets smaller), tip shape, etc.

Yeah, there can be differences in wood density, (therefore) weight and feel, tone - ever noticed that on the pad? - and durability.
I think Vic Firth lasts longer but not 3 times as long (as high as the costs are).

BTW: also 5A's between brands can differ a bit in length, diameter, taper (where the stick gets smaller), tip shape, etc.
Not exaggerating here,

but on my 3 (small sampling) pair of cheap 5A sticks, (2) maple and (1) hickory ( different brand too),
the hickory sticks feel TWICE as heavy as the maple!
Is that true in any hickory vs. maple stick? ( of same size)

( maybe this is why there are NO hickory guitars!)

After years of playing 5bs and 2Bs I recently switched to Vater Manhattan 7A, with Promark stick wrap.

Light, comfortable, able to keep stage volume down and still has plenty of power when I need to get loud. Very durable for a small stick as well; I got 3 shows (all were 4 hour 3 set shows) out of one pair. The sticks are still usable but one of the tips split. Very impressed with these sticks so far.

I don't know but as a coincidence I threw a set of Musicstore ones in the online shopping basket to give them a try and am expecting them today.

there's light med and heavy of every stick model (I was told ) and seems to be true
there's a weight range to wood sticks no matter the species type (hickory maple etc. even oak might have some light) and when you order a box or bundle ( ?) all three weights are 'in there'...

So generally but not always Yes. Maple lighter than hickory less than Oak

Not that it's always easy to get the perfect weight when you order online; lot of variables
versus in person- where there- the choice is always limited as to whats there in stock

there's some that actually weigh their preferred model sticks and will carry their scale into a store

Last edited:
there's light med and heavy of every stick model (I was told ) and seems to be true
there's a weight range to wood sticks no matter the species type (hickory maple etc. even oak might have some light) and when you order a box or bundle ( ?) all three weights are 'in there'...

So generally but not always Yes. Maple lighter than hickory less than Oak

Not that it's always easy to get the perfect weight when you order online; lot of variables
versus in person- where there- the choice is always limited as to whats there in stock

there's some that actually weigh their preferred model sticks and will carry their scale into a store
Thanks for good, useful info!

finding out the deeper I get into the drum universe ( I do play with 3-4 really good drummers, who love the gear),
that you folks are just as crazy ( mental?) about gear preferences , as us guitar players! Maybe worse!

( with us, it's fave strings, pickups, body styles/woods/weight... distortion boxes, amps, etc., it gets silly, but we want to sound good/be happy)

Thanks for good, useful info!

finding out the deeper I get into the drum universe ( I do play with 3-4 really good drummers, who love the gear),
that you folks are just as crazy ( mental?) about gear preferences , as us guitar players! Maybe worse!

( with us, it's fave strings, pickups, body styles/woods/weight... distortion boxes, amps, etc., it gets silly, but we want to sound good/be happy)
I have 2b's that are lighter than my 5a and 5b's. Sticks come in light, medium and heavy weights due to wood variation.

Back