Yamaha Tour Custom Maple

Good news at NAMM is Yamaha announcing more sizes and possibly being able to buy add-ons. Yamaha is throwing support to their sleeper kit, which doesn’t surprise me.
They have added an 8" tom and an 18" kick. Coincidentally, I have a 13" on order and will definitely go back for an 8" - just to have it.
I've had my TCs for about a year and a half now, very much in ❤️ with them.

Better duck, AJ! Incoming! 😂

Yeah. I really hate to be "that guy". We drummers have a close affection to our kits. Nobody wants to hear some clown like me dissing their pride and joy. I just didn't click with the Yamaha TCs. I SHOULD have liked them and had every reason to do so, but they didn't speak to me like other drums do.

If it makes you guys feel any better, pretty much all I play are mismatched Pearl kits. I'm weird.

I had a Tour Custom for awhile but the two things I didn’t like were the finishes (uninspiring) and the bass drum depth (17” deep), so I sold it. If they came out with better finishes and a 14” deep bass drum, I would re-consider.

I had a Tour Custom for awhile but the two things I didn’t like were the finishes (uninspiring) and the bass drum depth (17” deep), so I sold it. If they came out with better finishes and a 14” deep bass drum, I would re-consider.
The Tour Customs today are either 20x15, or 22x16.

Save $300 and Buy A Tama Superstar Classic Maple. Sounds awesome and they have better finishes than Yamaha
Also more size choices. I understand that the Japanese companies tend to prioritise function over form, but in this case Tama has got both over Yamaha. Yamaha has become really minimalist in their choice of finishes, if they make a better finish I'm seriously interested in some RC's but TC's no thanks

I owned a set. Sounded great and incredibly well made but I hate the mounting system

I get your points. But when I got a set, my mentality was already, “I’m not spending $4000 on an RC set”, so I was programming myself to like them and if you look past the pedestrian finishes, I’m still impressed. Heck, if you wanted a Ludwig like Downbeat kit, Ludwig charges more for their neusonic version than getting the Tour Custom - and you get ten lugs on the bass drum. They’re a great value for the gigging drummers out there.
In China it's a different market, where an RC or Neusonic is about $2500 and a Classic Maple $4000 (so there's less room for the TC to live against a Renown etc. at $1500). Can't blame Yamaha for doing well in a burgeoning non-US market, although I'd like to see more finish choices as a potential customer.

In China it's a different market, where an RC or Neusonic is about $2500 and a Classic Maple $4000 (so there's less room for the TC to live against a Renown etc. at $1500). Can't blame Yamaha for doing well in a burgeoning non-US market, although I'd like to see more finish choices as a potential customer.
I’m not sure drumsets are really marketed for the rest of the world though. The biggest market is still those crazy Americans with their disposable incomes 😉.

Great move by Yamaha. Now they have a nice mid-range maple offering that gives us an alternative to the Stage Customs (no offense to the masses of people on here who love them) and the AHM’s which is a huge leap in quality and dollars.
The quality is a step up from the SC’s. Not a huge leap but a decent step up with nicer wood, nicer hoops, higher lug count And more reasonable bass drum depths.

To a working drummer like me, they sit 3rd in my 3 kit arsenal but work great as a light, easy to carry working kit so I’m not hauling around my 4,000 Hybrid Maples for a 150 dollar gig.

Yamaha is trying to thread the needle in a competitive market and this is a good offering for well under 1,500 dollars. Now if they would just wake up to some more desirable finishes, they could be a serious player choice for this range of kits.

Last edited:
I’m not sure drumsets are really marketed for the rest of the world though. The biggest market is still those crazy Americans with their disposable incomes 😉.
If you pretend not to see the sale of anything along the line of SC or Catalina or below

Yamaha has announced a Tour Custom 3 pc. 18/12/14 set:

Listed under Size Variation/Shell Packages
Don't know when they'll be available though.
It’s about darn time Yamaha produced a bop set of the Tour Customs! Sheesh. Major oversight when they first released the series.

I've waited years for Yamaha to wake up and finally add an 18" kick! Now that they're adding the ability to purchase the 18, 20, or 22" kicks individually (and also buy a 16" floor tom separately, and an 8" tom separately), that indicates that the Tour Custom line is a success and that it makes sense financially to offer these add-ons.

They definitely won't give up on the line any time soon. That's great news in my book. I wish they had done this 3 years ago.

I have the Tour Custom in Candy Apple Satin in 10/12/13/14/16/22 sizes. It's a great kit and I've always wanted to add more drums to it despite not needing to.

I already have a Gretsch Renown shell bank (10/12/14/16 with 18/20/22 kicks). It's awesome. The perfect kit. 10/10 would buy again.

But man, I really want that 18" kick and maybe even an 8" tom. I hope they will be reasonably priced.

I don't need another shell bank

Last edited:
I've waited years for Yamaha to wake up and finally add an 18" kick! Now that they're adding the ability to purchase the 18, 20, or 22" kicks individually (and also buy a 16" floor tom separately, and an 8" tom separately), that indicates that the Tour Custom line is a success and that it makes sense financially to offer these add-ons.

They definitely won't give up on the line any time soon. That's great news in my book. I wish they had done this 3 years ago.

I have the Tour Custom in Candy Apple Satin in 10/12/13/14/16/22 sizes. It's a great kit and I've always wanted to add more drums to it despite not needing to.

I already have a Gretsch Renown shell bank (10/12/14/16 with 18/20/22 kicks). It's awesome. The perfect kit. 10/10 would buy again.

But man, I really want that 18" kick and maybe even an 8" tom. I hope they will be reasonably priced.

Yes. You need another shell bank.

Back