Zildjian Avedis New Beat 14" Hi-Hat Cymbals--Advice required

Every professional drummer I know has a pair of New Beats, an Acrolite and most have a 20" Zildjian ride of some sort somewhere in their arsenal.

Every professional drummer I know has a pair of New Beats, an Acrolite and most have a 20" Zildjian ride of some sort somewhere in their arsenal.
I'm not a professional drummer, but that definitely seems to fit the pattern - if not an Acrolite (which I do have) it's a Supraphonic. Also, my "Zildjian" 20" ride is only technically a Zildjian - it's a very early Sabian AA Rock Ride, which at the time would have been equiviant to the Zildjian A Rock Ride. But if not the Rock Ride, it's the Ping Ride, Sweet Ride, or some variant of the K ride.

As for the New Beats, they just seem to be extremely versatile. You can thrash them for rock, or play them lightly with thinner sticks for the appropriate jazz sound. I got my first pair within the last year, and they quickly overtook my AAX Stage hats as my preferred set. I love the AAX Stage hats and they are pretty versatile too, but they shine in a rock setting, and aren't quite as versatile as the New Beats.

I remember one of my best Christmas presents ever. I was 16 or so years old (early 70's) playing some trash can MIJ hi-hats that came with my used MIJ stencil kit. For Christmas I got a pair of NB hats. Wow. Still remember the thrill of putting them on my hi-hat stand for first time and playing them. I probably put a Zeppelin, Stones, or Chicago album on and played along that first time. Now I'm 63 years old and guess what I have on my hi-hat stand? Yup. New Beats from 70's I bought used off Reverb.

New beats put me to sleep zzzzz. Everyone has them... boring.

I’m 50/50 on that. I just don’t care for about 30 years of them from around 1985 to 2015. The new ones are an improvement on those. But I LOVE the early (read: light) ones. I only use mine about 1/8 of the time but when I do, they always make me smile.

785/1250 grams

Back