Are DW drums still cool?

Cool?
They look like they were designed by a cold war era soviet design bureau.

There was a line in a movie called 123 with Jimmy Cagney where one of the Russian apparatchiks is trying to trade a car for his secretary :Is wonderful car. Is exact copy of 1937 Nash.

DW fits the mold.

I've never had an issue getting a more that acceptable sound out of them, but I do find them somehow generically slightly one voiced in their delivery.

I tend to agree with you Andy as far as we think of the Collectors' series. I did not have the opportunity to play many of these kits but I have heard quite a lot of them, and effectively they all tend to sound, as you said, a little one voiced. Obviously, heads and tuning and rooms also play a role, but yes, I think you are right. That said, DW is also the Jazz Series and I never had any opportunity to play or to directly hear these drums: are they also a little one voiced?

And finally: I do not know whether DW are still cool, but I know that I would certainly consider buying a Collectors' set if I was playing with a rock or even fusion band!

Love the Jazz Series and Supermans Hair is indeed one of the coolest finishes out there:
tickets-3fm-awards-2018-43862745653

Its also because of Steve I biught a Walnut Craviotto. And man does that sound great too.

I never understood why people go crazy about a luxury finish ply and pay hundreds to thousands of cash extra for it while it still is a “regular” maple drum (not talking about seeries like Jazz, Classic and Pure)

I personally think the overall perception of DW's sound are the DW/Remo special heads that come with the drum. I've heard DW kits that can "ring" with the best of them with regular old remo ambassadors. However, every kit that I have tapped around on in a store that has those "deadning strips" or whatever built into the heads..really are not that flattering sounding. If you check out some online videos where the store swaps out the heads, the dw drums sound quite good. I actually prefer the Design series lugs

Their stock heads...ugh!!! What was John thinking? I don't know if they are the same today, but my PDPs shipped with the DW branded heads. Same ones as shipping today looks wise, but at least in the case of my set, they were thicker mylar than regular single plies. I'm no more impressed by the DWs I see on the showroom floor than my old PDPs with those atrocious heads! Rip those off and they sound like real drums.

I've owned 2 DW kits, both Collector's maple. They looked beautiful, but didn't sound liked I had hoped.
The shells that don't have re-rings all sound incredible to my ears, though. The Cherry Mahogany are especially spectacular. They've changed my opinion of the brand.

I once thought DW were THE coolest, but my opinion changed. I swapped my collectors maple for something that (imo) sounds much better, for WAY less money and I find myself - ridiculously i admit - blaming DW somewhat for deceiving me with the self promotion/marketing that convinced me to spend thousands of pounds for what turned out to be - for me - a bit of a disappointment.No doubting their quality - but imo, the sound, for the money they cost, was....un-inspiring.
Like I said - ridiculous really - it was entirely my choice, but now I find myself actually getting a little annoyed every time I see another 'exotic wood' being touted as the best thing ever.....

Their stock heads...ugh!!! What was John thinking? I don't know if they are the same today, but my PDPs shipped with the DW branded heads. Same ones as shipping today looks wise, but at least in the case of my set, they were thicker mylar than regular single plies. I'm no more impressed by the DWs I see on the showroom floor than my old PDPs with those atrocious heads! Rip those off and they sound like real drums.

I was at Sweetwater a couple weeks back and they had a PDP set on display. I was really impressed with build quality. The snare was really heavy and built like a tank.

This set sounds really nice. Of course a good drummer helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jY9mQ1ALz4

DW has to be the most polarizing topic on drum forums. I love my DW's and their hardware.

Some people hate DW, for my it's suitcase bass drums and people that think they are Greb or Nilles with the Meinl cymbals and beanies.

I think the "tubby" sound so many attribute to DW is due to the stock heads and DW's tuning preferences for their videos and demos. I've tried out a handful of DW sets over the years and they sounded great once I put them in the zone of my tuning/listening preferences.

I'm neutral on the look of the turret lugs, but one thing is for sure...you can ID a DW kit from a mile away based on the lugs. Good move on DW's part using the unique Camco lugs.

Yes. Do the pdp's come with those "unique DW" heads as well?

From the PDP website:
Q: What makes DW heads special?
A: DW drumheads by Remo USA are a special design made exclusively for DW by Remo. They have pressed counter-hoops and a sharp angle around the bearing edge. This combination of factors allows the head to sit better on the bearing edge and produces a very resonate and clear tone. DW heads can be special ordered through your local authorized DW dealer.

Doesn’t say anything about them being thicker, but mine certainly were.

I think the "tubby" sound so many attribute to DW is due to the stock heads and DW's tuning preferences for their videos and demos.

Also what is the definition of tubby? A few of us have mentioned tubby and I find it hard to believe that we all mean exactly the same thing. So tubby needs to be defined.

My definition of tubby are drums that are tuned where the reso is lower than the batter. I know this is a completely legitimate way to tune, but I would describe that tone as tubby. So it's not the heads as much as the tuning. I have DW's and tubby is not a word I would use to describe them. I could probably tune them for a tubby sound. My thick shelled Pearls sounded tubby to me, even with the reso higher than the batter, my preference. To me DW heads sound like a cross between a 10 mil single ply clear head and a 10 mil coated single ply head. Neither one of those heads sound tubby to me. JMO.

Somebody commented a while back that all you see if you watch TV is DW. For the last couple of years, I swear all I ever see is C&C...
Don't see too many here though.

My DWs ring for days, really the opposit to what people are explaining in here. Even with 2 ply heads.

Each to their own though, it's all subjective and I'm very happy with mine and how they sound, an example before each studio session both my band and the producer we work with contact me in advance checking that I'm bringing them, then give the kit compliments throughout the session during playbacks/sitting at it playing it....etc

I'm happy with them and the compliments from people who are listening to it close up tell me all I need to know. Really not fussed if they are deemed 'cool'

What's that all about? Nonsense is what it is ; )

Back