Show me your bass drums with contrasting inlaid hoops

TK-421

I'm refurbishing a Gretsch Catalina white marine pearl kit, and will be recovering the bass drum in black to match my piano black Renown kit (I'll be selling the rest of the kit once I'm done refurbishing it, as I only need the bass drum). But now I'm wondering what to do with the hoops. They're currently inlaid in white marine pearl, which is in okay shape, and I'm wondering if I should keep those as-is for a nice contrast to the black bass drum, or rewrap the hoop inlays with a different contrasting finish (I really don't want to add black inlays, I'd prefer some sort of contrast).

Since I'm debating what finish the contrasting hoop inlays should be, show me what you've got. I'd love to see options, especially if it's against a black bass drum.

The first pic is the kit I'm refurbishing (was in rough shape, but I got it for $140 and everything is cleaning up nicely).

The 2nd pic is something I found online, and shows one example of how contrasting inlays will look against a black kit. BTW I'm planning on lacquering the entire hoops in black, because I like that look better, and to cover up excessive pedal rash (on both hoops!) and stains.

Attachments

• IMG_6319.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_6319.JPG.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 655
  • 9d5df1a68585a25760cbc8b09ecc4879.jpg
    9d5df1a68585a25760cbc8b09ecc4879.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:
I had a black nitron Gretsch kit years ago, and the bass drum hoops were a gloss lacquer maple. Looked quite nice.

I had a black nitron Gretsch kit years ago, and the bass drum hoops were a gloss lacquer maple. Looked quite nice.

I've thought about replacing the hoops with gloss natural maple hoops. In fact, that was my original intent. But it'd be about $120 to get a nice pair, and I want to keep my expenses low since it'll cost about $100 to recover it. Plus, the more I thought about adding contrasting inlays to these hoops, the more I'm liking it.

I'm not sure if I want to keep the WMP inlays though. I'm leaning more towards something will a little less contrast, like a black marine pearl.

I've thought about replacing the hoops with gloss natural maple hoops. In fact, that was my original intent. But it'd be about $120 to get a nice pair, and I want to keep my expenses low since it'll cost about $100 to recover it. Plus, the more I thought about adding contrasting inlays to these hoops, the more I'm liking it.

I'm not sure if I want to keep the WMP inlays though. I'm leaning more towards something will a little less contrast, like a black marine pearl.

If you are considering swapping out inlays, what about finishing the existing hoops in clear lacquer and using a black inlay? My Ludwig kit is blue glass glitter, but the hoops are maple and should give you an idea...

Attachments

• Ludwigs.jpg
    Ludwigs.jpg
    839.8 KB · Views: 584
If you are considering swapping out inlays, what about finishing the existing hoops in clear lacquer and using a black inlay? My Ludwig kit is blue glass glitter, but the hoops are maple and should give you an idea...

Looks great! Based on looks, I would definitely consider that. But the hoops on my kit are a little rough, lots of nicks, stains, pedal rash, etc. The black lacquer will cover up all the rough spots, plus it would be much more work to strip and refinish the hoops than to simply spray a few coats of lacquer over it.

Here you go:

Pearl Export kit in a custom Bombay Mahogany Semi-Gloss Stain (courtesy of Min-Wax) with silver sparkle inlays on black hoops.

Attachments

• 10679957_10204568141419460_8642915577535598761_o.jpg
    10679957_10204568141419460_8642915577535598761_o.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 534
  • 18838961_10212255744164724_4283231418618991485_n.jpg
    18838961_10212255744164724_4283231418618991485_n.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 530
Just food for thought:

Wow, that looks stunning! I'm committed to lacquering the hoops black though, since all the nicks and stains need to be covered up. I even bought the black lacquer (with the gloss finish).

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward black oyster pearl, black marine pearl, or silver & black onyx pearl for the hoop inlays.

I think everyone knows what black oyster pearl and black marine pearl look like, so here's the silver & black onyx pearl (I think this would look cool against black hoops and a piano black shell):

Attachments

• blacksilveronyx.jpg
    blacksilveronyx.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
I'm resurrecting this thread to show how my bass drum turned out. As a reminder, I was rewrapping a WMP 18" Catalina bass drum to match the rest of my kit, but since it came with inlaid hoops, I was trying to decide what hoop strips to use to complement the piano black shells. I finally decided on black marine pearl, plus I also decided to relacquer the hoops to make them solid black. I think they turned out great.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    670.3 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    559.5 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    641.4 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    542.5 KB · Views: 348
Does this count?

25498289_10215439443639842_6677633737264241366_n.jpg

I painted the 14" tom a long time ago. I painted the bass drum and rack tom last week but did nothing with the bass drum hoops. Peace and goodwill.

Attachments

• 100_0435[1].jpg
    100_0435[1].jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 280
I think it turned out well. I wasn't diggin' that first example you posted that was a possibility, but what you did looks way cool, and especially so from the farther back pic.

I think it turned out well. I wasn't diggin' that first example you posted that was a possibility, but what you did looks way cool, and especially so from the farther back pic.

Thanks. I did get a sample of that silver & black onyx pearl I was considering, but once I cut it to fit into the hoop inlay groove, I realized that wasn't the answer. I'd been contemplating using black marine pearl all along, since it would add a nice touch without adding too much of a contrast. Turns out it also matches up well with the Fiberskyn front head, so I'm glad I finally decided on it! I've gotten nothing but compliments thus far, and all of them have been out of the blue, without me having to ask what they thought.

Wow, that turned out really well. Nice inlay choice. Good job!

Thanks.

Though I'm surprised no one asked about the Gretsch Round Badge sticker at the bottom of my front bass drum head. The head is a standard Remo Fiberskyn (with Remo logo), which I had laying around. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like the Remo logo comes off Fiberskyn heads very easily (if at all). So I installed the head upside-down before adding the Gretsch logo at the top, then created the Round Badge sticker in Photoshop to cover up the upside-down Remo logo. I printed it on high-end paper, and added vinyl tape to the back as a sealant before carefully cutting it out. I then sprayed the back with spray glue, and stuck it in place. Works perfectly, and looks way better than an upside-down Remo logo.

I have always liked this look from C&C. The hoops are a dark brown stain, I believe, with a white marine pearl inlay.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 11.00.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 11.00.55 AM.png
    356.3 KB · Views: 187
Thanks.

Though I'm surprised no one asked about the Gretsch Round Badge sticker at the bottom of my front bass drum head. The head is a standard Remo Fiberskyn (with Remo logo), which I had laying around. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like the Remo logo comes off Fiberskyn heads very easily (if at all). So I installed the head upside-down before adding the Gretsch logo at the top, then created the Round Badge sticker in Photoshop to cover up the upside-down Remo logo. I printed it on high-end paper, and added vinyl tape to the back as a sealant before carefully cutting it out. I then sprayed the back with spray glue, and stuck it in place. Works perfectly, and looks way better than an upside-down Remo logo.

I was actually wondering about that but forgot to mention it. Looks very cool. I should have done something similar on mine. I ended up just leaving the Remo logo on top. I could have cut it out on the port but duh, I didn't think of it at the time. Oh well.

Back