Sharing stuff here makes me forget...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
That there are actual internet trolls out there.

I posted a picture of my kit elsewhere, and while the purpose was to see the kit, I get this guy telling me a Shure SM58 is the last thing he’d let near his kit, let alone in a bass drum.

Of course, being flippant, I tell him he must not be an audio engineer, since we both don’t know each other and what we do, and WOW - got the standard textbook response of insulting my set-up and how he’s recorded all over the world and NOBODY he’s worked with EVER uses a SM58 to record!

I had to check to see if I was either standing on plastic or in a Guitar forum.

I’m sure I’ll get a “last word” statement from this moron after I told him to take his “I’m a Pro and know better than you” gig somewhere else. But after being here on Drummerworld for years and sharing stuff - you forget there are those internet trolls out there in cyber land.

I probably shouldn’t have egged him on, but people like that deserve it. And it was fun.

So, just know if anyone here does that to me, and I just push your buttons even harder, that I love you ;)

Too true. Through my participation on other sites/forums, I've discovered that I'm a talentless homosexual whose mother has performed unspeakable acts with practically everyone online.

Not sure how each site/forum develops its own personality, but I suspect it begins with the owners and moderators. And for that, I'm extremely grateful to Drummerworld.

Well, Bo, to be fair, I have played in basements all over South Jersey, USA and even recorded on cassette tapes a few times.... And Me, Myself, AND I, have NEVER put an SM58 near our bass drum either! (Of course I have never OWNED an SM58 so......)

🙄

It's like I tell my wife when she asks why i don't like to go out much-"I LIKE being home!"

It still blows my mind that people will just go off on people online, but you know they’d never do it face-to-face. The internets are cool, but it has bred these little hermit trolls like there’s no tomorrow. If I ever do that, someone here can just shoot me.

I hear ya; I’ve been there, too.

My day job is commercial photography, and at the dawn of digital imaging (c.2000) photography forums went from nerdy darkroom chemistry to chips & software. At first there was good decorum with negligble troll activity, but by 2003 it was clear: most amateur photographers are little bitches.

Over the last decade some of the best, most informative forums were shut down due to excessive trolling. The admins couldn’t handle it.

One active forum regularly suspends accounts via blocking IP addresses. When Trump was elected I thought it’d melt their servers. Any and all conservatives left or simply suspended their right to freedom of expression.

But drummer forums such as this one? Maybe one snark in a million posts. Maybe less. And for that I am very grateful.

Edit: When Brexit occured, our fellow members across the pond were so polite on this forum I thought I’d misunderstood the gravity of the vote. I asked questions and made my opinions known and was never once trolled or had aspersions cast my way.

Last edited:
So the internet has helped a number of humans find that extra energy to just waste being online morons. Sad.

Sorry, I really don’t recall posting that.

Just seems like a waste of both of your time, that’s all.

My two "go to" lines in those situations are:

"How's that working out for you?"

"I would agree with you if you were correct."
--Robin Williams, Patch Adams

I’m so sorry that this happened to you, Bo! People think they can hide behind the curtain of anonymity on the internet, but it really just exposes who they really. DRUMMERWORLD, by far, has to be the nicest online forum I’ve been on bar none! Unfortunately, trolls and people with bad attitudes find a place to hide and lurk everywhere. I’ve had great experiences here, and will definitely stay here for a while.

PS, that guy must not know much about mics. If he did, he’d know that the SM58 is almost identical to the SM57. The 57’s have been used practically every way under the sun, I’ve even seen em’ used as overheads!

I’m so sorry that this happened to you, Bo! People think they can hide behind the curtain of anonymity on the internet, but it really just exposes who they really. DRUMMERWORLD, by far, has to be the nicest online forum I’ve been on bar none! Unfortunately, trolls and people with bad attitudes find a place to hide and lurk everywhere. I’ve had great experiences here, and will definitely stay here for a while.

PS, that guy must not know much about mics. If he did, he’d know that the SM58 is almost identical to the SM57. The 57’s have been used practically every way under the sun, I’ve even seen em’ used as overheads!

I wasn’t even gonna get into the microphone differences - I was initially talking about having my little room up and running again and the burgundy snare mixes in well with the black-ish sparkle. For the most part people were cool. I’ve since deleted the thread and blocked this particular person. I’m not gonna let the thread become a cesspool. But yeah, if you can’t have an intelligent conversation, then stop everything and go elsewhere.

Mostly good here.
But anyone who thinks there aren't a few trouble makers here hasn't seen all the posts.

Oh - and for cryin' out loud Bo - an SM58 on a bass drum?
Jeez Louise - you kiddin' me? LOL

(I'm kiddin' you - ha ha).

Mostly good here.
But anyone who thinks there aren't a few trouble makers here hasn't seen all the posts.

Oh - and for cryin' out loud Bo - an SM58 on a bass drum?
Jeez Louise - you kiddin' me? LOL

(I'm kiddin' you - ha ha).

I also use a Shure Beta 56 for my vocal mic. I guess I’m going to hell when I die ;)

I also use a Shure Beta 56 for my vocal mic. I guess I’m going to hell when I die ;)

No, not with a Beta 56. Now, an Audix D6 might get you there! ;)

Bo, try using a 6.5mm f/3.5 lens to shoot everything!!

It's the best type of lens out there. You'd be totally insane to use any other lens to shoot any subject ever again! It's always been the best kind of lens out there. Now don't try arguing with me, because you know that deep down I'm absolutely correct about this.

You'll thank me some day!

;-)

Back