Need immediate help choosing a drum set!

Russa

Hey guys :) New one here!
So i wanted to buy a drum set for mainly studio use and i was looking and looking reading countless reviews and threads all over the internet.

Finally i narrowed it down to these 3 drum sets.Since i dont know much about drums and i need make a decision quickly before these deals are off(hence the immediate part) i decided ask you guys for help :)

Keeping in mind that im into pop and fusion mostly,which would you prefer in terms of durability,the sound and the best bang for the buck ?

1.A brand new PDP concept maple shell pack(made in china) with stock heads + concept maple hardware for 1180$
22 kick drum,10/12/14 toms and 14 snare
*I will have to buy cymbals of course

2.A used PDP CX white onyx drum kit(made in USA mexico in 2006) with evans coated heads,DW 7000 single peddle with 700 series hardware + Zildijan zbt hi hats and two zbt 18 inch crashes(no ride cymbal) for 1180$
22 kick drum,10/12/14 toms and 14 snare

3.A brand new Yamaha stage custom birch set with stock heads(all made in china) without cymbals for 1180$
20 kick drum, 10/12/14 toms and 14 inch wood snare
HW680 hard ware set(not ones in the pic)

Im attaching some pics of that used pdp kit and yamaha stage custom.
Seller has changed those sabian B8`s to zildijan zbt`s.Also stage custom doesn`t come with those sabian`s

Attachments

• 18575145_10212737652346594_262791042_o.jpg
    18575145_10212737652346594_262791042_o.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Number 2 and get a fresh set of heads.

Thank u!
Any thoughts on the sound over the stage custom?
cx series is kinda old.im worried about the hardware quality and shell durability.Is that ever gonna be a problem?

Thank u!
Any thoughts on the sound over the stage custom?
cx series is kinda old.im worried about the hardware quality and shell durability.Is that ever gonna be a problem?

They're all useable kits if you're providing something in a studio for someone to use. It is your cash but cymbals get expensive as do pedals so the cx seemed the logical route.

Hardware will be fine PDP is owned by a little known company called DW so I can't see any problems.

PDP shells are well made. I've never played a bad one. If you look after any set of drums they last a lifetime.

As for age I use a kit that was made in the 70s and I have a bass drum that is 51 next week. There's guys on here that use vintage gear so in terms of kinda old PDP aren't even out of nappies yet!

They're all useable kits if you're providing something in a studio for someone to use. It is your cash but cymbals get expensive as do pedals so the cx seemed the logical route.

Hardware will be fine PDP is owned by a little known company called DW so I can't see any problems.

PDP shells are well made. I've never played a bad one. If you look after any set of drums they last a lifetime.

As for age I use a kit that was made in the 70s and I have a bass drum that is 51 next week. There's guys on here that use vintage gear so in terms of kinda old PDP aren't even out of nappies yet!

Some great info there!
Thank u :)
I know dw is a great company.But a lot of people have been talking bad things about pdp hardware..thats why i was worried

My advice, sit down behind all 3 kits and after playing, see which one calls out to you the loudest. All 3 kits look to be good finds.

I use a PDP CX kit and absolutely love it! It will serve you well. However, that price is a little on the high side. The used drums run around $400. The hardware may be worth another $100 or so. Those cymbals (ZBT) you won't be happy with for long. Maybe worth $100 for the set.

You should be able to get that whole set under $700. That'll save you a few bucks to buy a good ride and maybe upgrade the hats.

Some great info there!
Thank u :)
I know dw is a great company.But a lot of people have been talking bad things about pdp hardware..thats why i was worried
I've been drumming for 43 some years and have owned some of the cheapest, most flimsiest hardware known to man, and I never had a single stand fail on me in that time, so I wouldn't concern yourself over PDP-HW.

I've been drumming for 43 some years and have owned some of the cheapest, most flimsiest hardware known to man, and I never had a single stand fail on me in that time, so I wouldn't concern yourself over PDP-HW.

Ok..thats really good to hear :) one last thing though
Would you prefer pdp hardware over yamaha hardware

I use a PDP CX kit and absolutely love it! It will serve you well. However, that price is a little on the high side. The used drums run around $400. The hardware may be worth another $100 or so. Those cymbals (ZBT) you won't be happy with for long. Maybe worth $100 for the set.

You should be able to get that whole set under $700. That'll save you a few bucks to buy a good ride and maybe upgrade the hats.

Im kinda worried about the cymbals too.zbt is a beginner level series right?..
700$? damn thats a good price..Thats the thing here..Used drum prices are too damn high.Cant get a decent price for anything here

700$? damn thats a good price..Thats the thing here..Used drum prices are too damn high.Cant get a decent price for anything here

Where approximately are you? Sri Lanka?

Ok..thats really good to hear :) one last thing though
Would you prefer pdp hardware over yamaha hardware
I have no experience with either name, but as far as I'm concerned, either one would make for great HW.

My advice, sit down behind all 3 kits and after playing, see which one calls out to you the loudest. All 3 kits look to be good finds.

I wish i could do that...its only possible with the stage custom since it`s in the yamaha showroom.
I have to pre order the concept maple.None left in the store.So there is no chance there
CX kit is in the boxes and believe it or not,that egoistic seller would set up the kit if only i`m buying it.So there is no chance either

I'd go with set #2. Nice finish and maple shells, you can't go wrong.

In addition I've heard that those PDP's from that era may have used DW shells. A friend of mine that knows way too much about drums told me that basically, if you find a maple PDP kit that uses the suspension mounts around the rim (like the white ones you have above), those have DW shells. If you see a PDP kit that uses suspension mounts around the lugs themselves, those are cheaper PDP shells, like this:

445131000646000-00-500x500.jpg

I could be wrong. Either way, I'd go with that white onyx kit. I'm sure it sounds great!

If you can't attain good bang for your buck where you live, my suggestion to you would be to look beyond. Our world is a small place now thanks to the internet. Don't be afraid to shop around, and don't be afraid to hold your ground on your limit as far as what you are willing to spend.

Back