Guru tom tree. It's done.

Now you just need to stick those tom mounts right on the shells to get rid of the R.I.M.S. mounts. Too many colors happening. That would be my excuse.

The kit looks great, and cutting the excess really cleans it up.

Now you just need to stick those tom mounts right on the shells to get rid of the R.I.M.S. mounts. Too many colors happening. That would be my excuse.

The kit looks great, and cutting the excess really cleans it up.

Thanks man, it does look cleaner. I won't put mounting brackets on a tom shell. Cosmetically, the aluminum RIMS mounts perfectly match the brushed look on the welds :)

6 days and counting till go time.

Can't wait to get a post gig review. I'm awed that an existing Mapex design led to a solution for a Guru kit. Still trying to wrap my ahead around that one.

Can't wait to get a post gig review. I'm awed that an existing Mapex design led to a solution for a Guru kit. Still trying to wrap my ahead around that one.

Maybe one day Mapex can help Andy out with bearing edge designs. HA:*

You lost me at wrap ;)

You mean help me out by patenting something I've been doing for years?

Exactly. I also think I have figured out how Bo and I can have our concert tom Guru kits. We will order one kit together and cut the shells down the middle. Now I just need you to concede to sparkle lacquer.

Exactly. I also think I have figured out how Bo and I can have our concert tom Guru kits. We will order one kit together and cut the shells down the middle. Now I just need you to concede to sparkle lacquer.

Good idea. I can paint them sparkle lacquer for you.

Don't want to beat a dead horse here Larry, but isn't Yolanda that woman bass players name?
Maybe you shouldn't name your drums that. She might think you're hitting on her.
LOL

Last edited:
Good idea. I can't paint them sparkle lacquer for you.

Don't want to beat a dead horse here Larry, but isn't Yolanda that woman bass players name?
Maybe you shouldn't name your drums that. She might think you're hitting on her.
LOL

Yes, they are named after Yolanda Charles. Hitting on someone is a pretty high compliment, so I'm OK wit dat. 2 days. I can't wait.

So I had the first gig with the tom tree and everything went swimmingly.

I set up lickity split. My soul is at peace now.

It's strange not having GAS anymore. All I want to do is play with Yolanda.

I swear the bass drum tone is like an octave lower than my non walnut drums. It really takes the bass drum from out of the bass players sonic space, so the low end is more separately defined. I can tell it's easier for the guitar player too because the bass sound is cleaned up. These drums expanded the sonic range of the band in the fat and juicy lower frequencies.

My bandleader: I know the term warm means different things to different people but those drums sound so warm and they really blend well.

My bass player: They sound exciting.

Me: *in bliss*

So I had the first gig with the tom tree and everything went swimmingly.

I set up lickity split. My soul is at peace now.

It's strange not having GAS anymore. All I want to do is play with Yolanda.

I swear the bass drum tone is like an octave lower than my non walnut drums. It really takes the bass drum from out of the bass players sonic space, so the low end is more separately defined. I can tell it's easier for the guitar player too because the bass sound is cleaned up. These drums expanded the sonic range of the band in the fat and juicy lower frequencies.

My bandleader: I know the term warm means different things to different people but those drums sound so warm and they really blend well.

My bass player: They sound exciting.

Me: *in bliss*

Love it!
Thanks Larry. It makes me feel good to know that an experience like this is possible.

First thing it reminded me of was the old "Timex" commercials-"takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'". Hey that'd be a good drum company motto too-but sadly it's taken. I'm happy for Larry and very intrigued how the walnuts sound live in a group-I don't usually play mic'ed either so I'm interested how it carries in the mix. The modification to attach is so light and blends in so well it still is a virgin kick if you take off the tree.

Love it!
Thanks Larry. It makes me feel good to know that an experience like this is possible.

Thanks Hollywood. My evil plan worked out better than I thought it would.

This makes me so happy too Larry. Those drums deserve a regular stage - that's what they're built for - that's where they excel. The fact that your bandmates "feel" the difference is confirmation enough for me. Larry's happy, Andy's happy too :)

I am completely happy. Content. Centered. Resolved. It's a dream come true for me. I'm where I supposed to be. It's nice to be able to release any fears and doubts about using these drums at bar gigs. The shells are tough. This set will endure some battle scars, but I don't care. It means they are getting used. Drums serve me, I don't serve them. It's a very liberating mindset.

Nice Job Larry. I always liked that type of system.

Thanks Bob. I like the look of it too. The rails are a great idea. I was so happy I didn't have to mess with the Guru logo, the whole system floats right over the shell. Wonderful design, although I would have made it lighter. I was hoping someone made something exactly like this. I am forever grateful to Tommy_D for pointing my in the right direction.

Like I said, there's only weight on the shell for usually 5 and sometimes 10 hours a week. Even if there was weight on the shell 24 and 7, I would still not be worried in the least. There's no doubt that I will be playing these drums in public for a very long time now.

The only adjustment I have now is getting used to the feeling of no more GAS. I mean I still have like $1,500.00 of play money and I honestly can't think of anything I want to spend it on. So I'm not. It feels strange to want for nothing. The only thing left to do is keep improving my playing now.

Back