Instantly recognizable drummers

Gavin Harrison,

I'll literally hear 4 bars of a song, and know it's him playing. ( This happened when my friend showed me the new pineapple thief album without telling me he was on it ).

The drum sound, snare, toms, tuning. The crispness and how tight it is. Nothing like it.

Agree with lots of the above.

Also John Bonham. In the same vein, Cozy Powell was pretty identifiable too.

Ginger Baker. Carl Palmer. Terry Bozzio. Michael Giles. Alex Acuna.

Great discussion.
It becomes more interesting if it's a studio cat, not a band drummer like Keith Moon for instance.
Purdie is an excellent example.

Slightly off topic...re: Keith Moon...

Just sitting here imagining what it must have been like for his mother and father raising him....

"Keith...Keith...KEITH!!!"
"Keith! No...keith...get down...."
"KEITH!!!! Put that DOWN..."
" Keith, please, it's 2am...!"

Dude's energy levels were off the charts. Probably could not sit still for 10 seconds...!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

I don't think I've ever heard another drummer play Come Together with the right feel and dynamic (not to mention many other great Beatle tracks).

I think recognizing a drummer depends on how much you listen to them and are interested in them and get to know their "voice".

Paul McCartney played drums on a few Beatle songs, and I never knew it until later. He was probably influenced by Ringo's playing, and most might not hear or realize the difference. But there is one!

If I had any choice for a drummer out of those mentioned in this thread or any other...I'd take Ringo without a doubt.

I can tell the ones Paul drummed on, cos he sounds like a bassist playing drums. Its the same when he plays guitar on Wings stuff, he is still a bassist playing guitar.

Watch any Beatles live gig and Ringo is the best musician on the stage. A solid, solid drummer.

Gavin Harrison,

I'll literally hear 4 bars of a song, and know it's him playing. ( This happened when my friend showed me the new pineapple thief album without telling me he was on it ).

The drum sound, snare, toms, tuning. The crispness and how tight it is. Nothing like it.

^ This

I like the switchover with Steve Wilson to Marco Minnemann too (and now to Craig Blundell). Great comparison of 2 amazing drummers both with instantly recognisable playing.

On Steve Wilsons recent 4 1/2 "album", you can play the game of guess the drummer (Chad, Craig or Marco) - quite easy really, no-one fills like Marco does.

You can also hear the difference between the kits on Steve Wilsons albums too.

Gavin plays a Sonor, Marco plays a DW. If ever you want to compare the 2 kits, I suggest you listen to Insurgentes and then to The Raven That Refused to sing.

(Insurgentes is not a great album as a whole whereas Raven is one of my faves ever) it just showcases the drummers and their gear so well thanks to Stevens excellent production.

The new album will feature the excellent Craig Blundell who plays Mapex so worth checking that out as well.

:EDIT: Looks like in the studio, Craig is using a vintage kit on some songs instead of mapex

Hijack bump! The Beatles played for years with Pete Best to little success. Ringo joins the band and Bam! They're legends. Some guys just have a feel. Drummers that don't get that make me wonder. Like drummers that can't dance. Makes me go hmmmnn? Drums are feel. The drummer acts as the conductor. They control the tempo and dynamics.

I've been contemplating whether or not to respond to this. The Beatles had success in Germany and Liverpool with Pete Best and were signed to their label with him on drums. They replaced Best because George Martin wasn't a fan and because as Best claims, John and Paul were jealous that he got more attention from girls than they did. I've heard Best play drums and he seemed as adequate as Starr was.

If Ringo was so instrumental to their initial success as you claim, then why did they use a studio drummer (Andy White) on their first hit Love Me Do and put Ringo's version in the can? Plus, Bernard Purdie says he played drums on most of their hit, not Ringo. I believe Bernard.

Phil Collin's playing and signature sound is very recognizable to a lot of folks.

I've been contemplating whether or not to respond to this. The Beatles had success in Germany and Liverpool with Pete Best and were signed to their label with him on drums. They replaced Best because George Martin wasn't a fan and because as Best claims, John and Paul were jealous that he got more attention from girls than they did. I've heard Best play drums and he seemed as adequate as Starr was.

If Ringo was so instrumental to their initial success as you claim, then why did they use a studio drummer (Andy White) on their first hit Love Me Do and put Ringo's version in the can? Plus, Bernard Purdie says he played drums on most of their hit, not Ringo. I believe Bernard.

So.... you missed my point? Can you dance? How do you know if what your playing is danceable if you can't dance? Oh yeah, and Ringo played in the studio. There is waaayyy to much archive video, photos, and audio excerpts to start that. My point was charisma, Superman, charisma. Not whether or not Pete Best was "adequate" enough. Look at the number of times that changing drummers has changed the level of success of a band, both positively and negatively. Rush, Journey, Nirvana, AC/DC, Godsmack, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, THE BEATLES! etc,etc, ad nauseum. Charisma, if you got it, you got it and if you don't.....well. Most people don't realize just exactly how pedestrian they really are. I would love to see you captain a record company. Ringo doesn't "pop" for you, but Pete Best is "adequate enough". Jeez Louise, you'd probably sign yourself! Can I really be having this debate again?

The thing that gets me, is that Keith Moon is so recognizable as a drummer, yet you don't hear his influence too often in other people's drumming. Why is that?
I would not say that his influence is not heard too often. I'd say, you hear his influence very often, but do not really notice it, if you don't pay attention to todays drumming.

Most of what Keith did back then was - just like Ringo - new territory. He started e.g. fills on 2 or 3 instead of 1, added melodical patterns, interpreted the vocals on drums, added triplets to the standard-repertoire of drummers. Most of what he did back then is part of many of todays drummers arsenal, yet nobody uses these tools as concentrated as Keith did back then.

Because Keith came up with those new and rather jazzy approaches to rock-music first, and because nobody else played it back then (of course), he really stood out in his era. Today, all those ideas he came up with, double-bassdrum patterns, tom rolls, the cymbal accents, the triplets, the "growl" of his floor-toms, mimicing symphonical timpani, all that can be heard when you listen to e.g. Peart, Portnoy, Tim Alexander, many Metal-drummers and so forth. But they only use from Keith "repertoire" those specific parts that fits the music that they play - which is of course different to the stuff The Who made.

They replaced Best because George Martin wasn't a fan and because as Best claims, John and Paul were jealous that he got more attention from girls than they did. I've heard Best play drums and he seemed as adequate as Starr was.

Errmm... I do think you are wrong on a couple of points. First and foremost, Pete Best was not kicked out because he was better looking. That is a myth, complete nonsense. He got replaced my George Martin because Ringo was regarded as the best, innovative drummer in the british pop-scene back then. Better technique, better timing, better dynamics, more musicality. AND: Ringo always appeared to gigs and in the studio prepared. George Martin was afaik annoyed that Pete Best showed up late, sometimes way too late for the concerts. He was not - as some say - mature. He did not act professional, which Ringo did.

The "Love me do" studio-recording of the Beatles, was the beginning of the Ringo-era. Martin was unhappy with Pete Bests performance, thus he looked for alternatives. Alan White was one, Ringo the other. On 5th October 1962, the Parlophone R4949 single that was released and became an instant hit was by the way NOT the Alan White-recording. That recording was used in 1963 - for whatever reason.

The Bernard Purdie-thing is - as it seems - just another myth, spread by Purdie himself - for whatever reason (there is enough onformation on that available in the web, just google it). There are apparently enough documents/recordings that prove that Ringo did all the stuff, not Purdie.

I would not say that his influence is not heard too often. I'd say, you hear his influence very often, but do not really notice it, if you don't pay attention to todays drumming.

Most of what Keith did back then was - just like Ringo - new territory. He started e.g. fills on 2 or 3 instead of 1, added melodical patterns, interpreted the vocals on drums, added triplets to the standard-repertoire of drummers. Most of what he did back then is part of many of todays drummers arsenal, yet nobody uses these tools as concentrated as Keith did back then.

Because Keith came up with those new and rather jazzy approaches to rock-music first, and because nobody else played it back then (of course), he really stood out in his era. Today, all those ideas he came up with, double-bassdrum patterns, tom rolls, the cymbal accents, the triplets, the "growl" of his floor-toms, mimicing symphonical timpani, all that can be heard when you listen to e.g. Peart, Portnoy, Tim Alexander, many Metal-drummers and so forth. But they only use from Keith "repertoire" those specific parts that fits the music that they play - which is of course different to the stuff The Who made.

I hear his influence in Peart's playing, but maybe I'm just not listening to the right kinds of music. I try to pull from KM as much as I can in terms of how I approach fills, triplets and cymbal accents, but I am limited because of the kind of music I play now. I just don't hear a lot of it in today's new music. The "less is more" approach seems to prevail, and playing cover tunes, I don't have the opportunity to really express myself and pull from my own influences, which includes Moon, Bonham, Ulrich & Paice.

Sorry, not trying to derail the subject though.

Dave Clark and I think you meant Dennis Wilson, never played on a single record, so I don't think those are good comparisons.

The idea that Dennis Wilson didn't play on any of the Beach Boys hits is something that's been believed for quite some time, given the fact that Hal Blaine and the Wrecking Crew were used on many Beach Boys sessions in the 60's. But recent research has actually turned up that Dennis did indeed play on quite a few Beach Boys tracks, many of them hits. Here's a link to a drumforum.org post where Beach Boys historian Jon Stebbins lays out some of the details (for those who are interested...the relevant post is near the bottom of the page): http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/user/16817-jon-stebbins/?tab=posts

Among other tunes, Dennis played on "I Get Around," "Dance Dance Dance," "Don't Worry Baby," and "When I Grow Up to Be a Man" (this last one having an interesting drum beat, which apparently took him quite a while to get down in the studio!).

Errmm... I do think you are wrong on a couple of points. First and foremost, Pete Best was not kicked out because he was better looking. That is a myth, complete nonsense.

Umm there are books written that discuss this in detail and many stories that back it up. Seems any story you don't like you just chalk up as a myth. Frankly I couldn't care less what you agree with and what you don't.

They didn't put Ringo's version in the can.

Lots of info on the Love Me Do recordings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Me_Do

Bernard Purdie did not play on any actual official Beatle records. Ringo did, as well as Paul a few times, and Andy White the one time.

All 3 Beatles as well as George Martin, went on to extol the virtues of Ringo, and how he took the band to another level over Pete Best.

Plus, Bernard Purdie says he played drums on most of their hit, not Ringo. I believe Bernard.

I was going to let it go before you brought up this old BS canard. This will never die, will it? Purdie may have sweetend tracks on the Tony Sheridan recordings but their is no evidence that he played on any Beatles hits. Not a shred.

And Purdie still has not said, which recordings he made specifically and the "big revealing book" has yet to be published by him.

I love Purdie but don't believe his claim either.
But to be correct, his book has been published, and he is the publisher/distributor. You can get it on Amazon for a high price, because he did not go with an established publisher/distributor and there were not a lot of copies run to press.

Mhm... so this book was not really important enough for any distributor to publish it. Well, he announced the book in 2008... Took him "only" almost ten year to publish a book that apparently is irrelevant. And now back on topic.

Distinguishable drummers:

Ash Soan. Extra-dry drums plus really really dry, stacked cymbals. Unique way to play hihats, plays very high tuned snares. Immeditely recognizable.

Back