First ever audition..wish me luck..!?!

Armor of Light

I'm 50. I'm hoping it's not too late to start!

Any advice? From the ad, it looks like these guys are on the same wavelength with music, attitude, and commitment level. Hope they are not expecting anything too fancy! I've never been fancy, and I'm still rusty from my last layoff.

Good luck! Remember, you're auditioning them too, and if you don't like them you don't have to have them.

Let us know how it goes.

Have fun! Remember that the people in the band(s) you're going to meet while auditioning are pretty much like you. Maybe not on the first audition but this will become obvious after a few more (assuming more to come). Also, as Magenta said, you're deciding on them too. Don't be discouraged, it is more than likely to take a few auditions to find a home.

I re-started my musician career about 4 years ago (at 52) and have enjoyed every minute of it. Last year, needing to move to a new opportunity, I auditioned with 5-6 new bands looking for a drummer by simply answering craig's list adds. First couple I was a nervous wreck. As I kept going it got easier and even fun. Some didn't want me, others I didn't want, but I ended up finding some great guys to play with that stretched me and made me a better player. We're gigging consistently now with a 50+ song catalogue. Too much fun!

Prepare & go get 'em!

I'm 50. I'm hoping it's not too late to start!

Any advice? From the ad, it looks like these guys are on the same wavelength with music, attitude, and commitment level. Hope they are not expecting anything too fancy! I've never been fancy, and I'm still rusty from my last layoff.

Go have fun! The more fun you have, the better you'll play. And don't feel like you need to impress them, if you keep the beat and it feels good you'll probably be just fine. (They'll probably be looking for musical comfort first & foremost.)

I just practiced the 3 songs they gave me to start with. 2 runs at each one. Songs I've never heard or played before. I realize I don't have my drumming calluses back yet, that's for sure! But, all in all not too bad I suppose. I'll keep practicing and getting my muscle memory back. Thanks for all the words of encouragement!

To build on what everybody else has said, remember that the stuff outside of songs is at least as important as what happens during the songs. Do the band members make you feel welcome, do they seem to get on well with one another?

What are the three songs?

Remedy__Seether
You Oughta Know__Alanis Morisette
Killing in the Name Of__Rage Against the Machine

I've heard the Alanis Morisette one of course, and I probably heard the Seether one before too. Never played any of them though. Pretty fun to play!

Best of lucks. I am 40 and last time I auditioned was 25 years ago for the high school pop rock band. I would be interesting to see how would I fare today (probably not so good). I am fortunate enough to be in a band with workmates whom I respect both as musicians and academics (we are all university professors). We don't consider ourselves pros, but we can hold our own in a gig.

I love the drumming in many Rage Against The Machine songs. I have to convince my band to play one or two of them.

My two cents on finding a matching band:

- Do lots of listening of the music when you're not at the kit [car commute time]

- Don't overplay. Most bands want to hear a drummer establish a nice comfortable, tight rhythm. If they want more, they'll let you know.

- Relax and enjoy. [never too late. never, ever]

- If things feel good after the audition, ask lots of questions so that you can ensure They are the right match for You. [will save you lots of time in the long run]

Lots of great advice here!

As previously stated, an audition goes both ways.

Be nice, and play simply unless the song doesn't call for it.

Best of luck!

Back