What computer should I get?

Zoom definitely hadn't upgraded their drivers to use their R16 and R24 as interfaces yet either.

Small update on this. The issue appears to be on the Apple side. The users that are experiencing the KPanic and noise issue appear to be those using USB3. The issue appears to be resolved in the current beta OS X 10.10.3 (14D113c) which should be released in a few weeks.

The old issues are still present. Desync on a long-held midi note, eventual desync if you leave the R16 active and turned on for long periods. I am under the impression that these are Zoom issues.

Bo, when you plug your R16 in, do you see it under system-preferences/sound?

Get a Mac. . Superior for artists and creatives. Not knocking PCs because they are definitely valid in the computing world. It's just that with as many artists who do use Mac you'll get a better experience with file sharing and whatnot.

Small update on this. The issue appears to be on the Apple side. The users that are experiencing the KPanic and noise issue appear to be those using USB3. The issue appears to be resolved in the current beta OS X 10.10.3 (14D113c) which should be released in a few weeks.

The old issues are still present. Desync on a long-held midi note, eventual desync if you leave the R16 active and turned on for long periods. I am under the impression that these are Zoom issues.

Bo, when you plug your R16 in, do you see it under system-preferences/sound?

Nope. My mac didn't see the Zoom at all.

Ping me if you desire help resolving that. A number of other people appear to have faced the same issue and the fix is fairly straightforward.

No need. Someone else happily owns that Zoom now. I've been very happy thus far with my Focusrite 4-input USB interface with my MacBookAir. Just the change in workflow has been refreshing since I can do everything in the computer and go straight to post-production, and then uploading, or creating audio files. With the Zoom I was recording stuff, then dumping the card into the mac and then doing everything there, which added a bit of time to my process.

i reccommend mac. Ive got mates who run windows and they say they wish they had a mac.

Ive got a 2014 15" i7 Retina and ive learnt how to use garage band to start me off.

After thinking about it a bit, maybe you should go take the course first before investing in something.

It's possible they might expose you to a variety of software and hardware, and show you the benefits and drawbacks involved with them.
You didn't say what kind of experience you already have, or if you're already using some programs.

It might pay to go into it without preconceived notions.

ha, great TIMING on this topic. i am about to pull the trigger on Macbook Pro 13" retina display w/ 8 GB RAM & 128 GB HD [external HD as well]. to go w/ Focusrite Saffire audio interface. final DAW will be Pro Tools (all my home / studio buds have this), but plan to play w/ Garageband & Audacity for a bit. Avid's Sibelius also a slam dunk as i am about sick of Finale.

ha, great TIMING on this topic. i am about to pull the trigger on Macbook Pro 13" retina display w/ 8 GB RAM & 128 GB HD [external HD as well]. to go w/ Focusrite Saffire audio interface. final DAW will be Pro Tools (all my home / studio buds have this), but plan to play w/ Garageband & Audacity for a bit. Avid's Sibelius also a slam dunk as i am about sick of Finale.

Cool, great minds think alike huh?

Why don't you get the 256gig hdd though? Don't think you'll need it?

I haven't read all of the replies...

I recently picked up a Dell laptop running Windows 8.1. It has 12GB of RAM and I use an external USB drive for the audio files.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett interface connected to it and am running Reaper multi-track recording software, Amplitube guitar/bass amp simulation, and a few free plugins.

Been recording with this setup for around 6 months now and haven't had a single glitch! Highly recommended.

You can pretty much get my entire setup for the price of a mac laptop. LOL

Cool, great minds think alike huh?

Why don't you get the 256gig hdd though? Don't think you'll need it?

Internal devices like hard drives are becoming irrelevant in the computer world these days. Apple has eliminated optical drives From all their computers, which I'm discovering isn't a bad idea and for storage, it's so easy to go to BestBuy and pick up an external USB 1 or 2TB drive for under $70 these days.

The concept of a laptop with no moving parts is pretty cool. There's nothing to break and I just plug what I need when I need it. My MacBookAir has 128gb of flash storage so there's no hard drive to fail. It's actually very cool, very light, and eats less power. My laptop can run up to 10 hours before recharging too.

Internal devices like hard drives are becoming irrelevant in the computer world these days. Apple has eliminated optical drives From all their computers, which I'm discovering isn't a bad idea and for storage, it's so easy to go to BestBuy and pick up an external USB 1 or 2TB drive for under $70 these days.

The other advantage of these drives is that you need not plug them into the mac, you can simply plug them into your Airport Router and access them via wifi. While I do not recommend this for active-projects and live recording, it's great for archival purposes, cold storage, and playback.

With Garageband, you can store the projects on iCloud and access them from all of your iCloud enabled devices. My younger brother and I collaborate in this fashion.

Cool, great minds think alike huh? Why don't you get the 256gig hdd though? Don't think you'll need it?

yessir !! #smartdrummers ! i am just being cheap. i do want 256 or 512 [$1800 online] ...but i need to budget a bit w/ other stuff i am setting up for home studio (audio interface, gopro, software, in-ears, etc.). but i don't feel so bad, as my studio buddy basically demanded i get an external HD. kept saying "not IF you will lose data but WHEN". so i will be backing all my files there after every session. also includes all my notation files, etc.

yessir !! #smartdrummers ! i am just being cheap. i do want 256 or 512 [$1800 online] ...but i need to budget a bit w/ other stuff i am setting up for home studio (audio interface, gopro, software, in-ears, etc.). but i don't feel so bad, as my studio buddy basically demanded i get an external HD. kept saying "not IF you will lose data but WHEN". so i will be backing all my files there after every session. also includes all my notation files, etc.

It's a fair shout. I think 128 is too small for general use on-the-go but mass storage is so cheap these days that you can work around it.

SSDs are much, much more reliable than spinning hard drives. They're one of the greatest advances in modern computing.

Well it looks like everyone may have talked you into getting a mac. I just thought I'd chip in and say that I've used logic pro 9 many a time and it's very easy to learn and use, and comes with really nice plugins. Cubase is cool, too, if you end up learning/getting that; I'm using dirty old LE5 right now. I have used pro tools a few times and I didn't like it at all. Just my two cents.

Well it turns out they use both protools and cubase at the college.

I have used protools for all my home recording (although on a very basic level) so at least I'll have a leg up. I wish I could use my windows XP protools on my mac. I'm sure I could get XP to run on the mac somehow but it would probably be cheaper just to buy a new version of protools.

Next it will be a mixer

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well it turns out they use both protools and cubase at the college.

Next it will be a mixer

My opinion, and I know Bo has experienced issues, would be to try out an R16.

You get an 8 channel interface, mixer, Mackie-Control transport console, and field recorder all in one shot. It ships with a voucher for a Cubase LE license.

The down sides:
1: The preamps are "OK". Not quite Focusrite or Presonus. I'd put even with Tascam.
2: You might run into some driver tomfoolery during OS upgrades. It's fairly easy to remedy.
3: Only 2 Phantom Power channels.

I'm not sure how things work down under but I would start saving every receipt for what you buy and if this becomes a business they can all be business expenses.

Here I am again.

I have started a little part time office work and so the need for a new lappy has compounded slightly.

I've sold my old '07 model for $200 and it looks like I can get the one I want for $1,000 (a used one).

Got my eye on this model:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...re-i5-2.5-13-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html

except both of the ones I'm looking at this weekend have 8gb ram. One has 10gb actually, I'm just going to try and assess which character I would feel more comfortable buying from. There are a few newer models available with less RAM and memory but I remember hearing that you can't upgrade these models.

Both sellers (both girls) said they bought them in 2014, is this is a terrible idea?

Back