This trio will never cease to amaze me :)

They delivered this number in London last year, & as in this video, the "middle", almost freeform, section interplay was just stunning. Live, this trio is just something else. Just a pity that the room at the London gig was especially difficult, & that robbed the audience of a lot of detail.

They slay me too. The only trio who can compete with that is Vinnie, Tal and Jeff. Hiromi is my personal hero when it comes to performing.

Gee it's good to have you back.

I guess so. I spoke with Anthony Jackson last year at NAMM and he was pretty nonchalant about it. But he kinda lit up when I told him I loved the trio he was in with Michel Petrucciani and Steve Gadd. He may have alluded to not liking how Simon dresses for the gig ;)

But my fav trio right now is The Aristocrats with Marco Minneman, Brian Bellar, and Guthrie Govan. Talk about metric modulations and genre-shifting. Absurdly killer.

He may have alluded to not liking how Simon dresses for the gig ;)

Well, I think Hiromi's got too many clothes on for my liking, but hey, I go along with it :)

But my fav trio right now is The Aristocrats with Marco Minneman, Brian Bellar, and Guthrie Govan. Talk about metric modulations and genre-shifting. Absurdly killer.

YouTube link please :)

It's funny, how a project can be so great and be so inspiring, and the musicians are like, ah, it's just another gig...like Bo said, nonchalant.

You kind of want them to be inspired like you are. You can't always get what you want. I guess I'm grateful for what I get.

That said, I love love love the trio sound. Everyone has their own sonic space, no clutter.

I love Hiromi on stage; her smile and enthusiasm are infectious, and wow... musicality for weeks. Great stuff. And of course, I have been a Simon fan for ages. Thanks for sharing!

I wonder how much of this is improv vs. how much is rehearsed?

I really like music like this, but I can only handle it in small doses.

I've seen Simon Phillips and he's great and all, but he's always right on the downbeat and that gets boring to me.

I saw Keith Carlock with Wayne Krantz and Anthony Jackson earlier this year live-in-studio and that was one of the best performances I've ever seen. Anthony's got one hell of a sound, and he's quite the perfectionist about it. Didn't care much for the NC sweet tea either.

But I also saw Oz Noy with James Genus and Jeff Sipe and that had more raw, wild, slightly unrehearsed energy that was more fun than Wayne Krantz. It was the sort of show where they learned the tunes but got picked up as a touring thing and had learned throughout the tour (it was the last show of the east coast tour) how to play with each other. I've seen Jeff four times this year and he quickly became one of my favorite drummers. Genus's bass face might be my favorite bass face of all time.

Back