Great car for a drummer

I have one of these, and unfortunately wagons like this are a thing of the past:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._VX_II_Commodore_Acclaim_station_wagon_01.jpg

The closest I've found is the Subaru Outback as far as boot size goes, and that will most likely be what I replace my Commodore with when the time comes.

Unlike most other sane drummers, my setup involves lugging around 7 drums, two cymbal cases, and a rack :p. So unfortunately a small car is not an option!

Volvo XC90 (2000 - 2012), they are gas guzzlers for sure.

Mine fits my 6 pc kit, multitude of stands (10 cymbals worth) in a 36in. hardware bag and 5 passengers comfortably. Plus, I can see perfectly out the back window - nothing obstructing the view really. The biggest plus is never worrying about safety :) Mine is 10 years old and worth keeping (they'll pry the keys from my dead hands), but you can pick up a used one pretty cheap now.

Volvo_XC90_V8_--_02-26-2010.jpg

I've been driving a Volvo XC70 for about 8 years and will probably drive the thing for another 8 years! It's indestructible, reliable and boots like a rocket.. it's also the ultimate winter driving car.. I can drive through thick snow and ice and always feel in total control... but the important thing is:

- the back part of the wagon has this great tough rubber backed carpet mat - that it is perfect to use as a drum mat whenever I show up for a gig and the stage has a hardwood floor.

volvo-xc70-2001-wallpaper-background-volvo-1213180104.jpg

I've been driving a Volvo XC70 for about 8 years and will probably drive the thing for another 8 years! It's indestructible, reliable and boots like a rocket.. it's also the ultimate winter driving car.. I can drive through thick snow and ice and always feel in total control... but the important thing is:

- the back part of the wagon has this great tough rubber backed carpet mat - that it is perfect to use as a drum mat whenever I show up for a gig and the stage has a hardwood floor.

volvo-xc70-2001-wallpaper-background-volvo-1213180104.jpg

Nice! Love the xc70 - it was my first choice back when I was car shopping because of the gas mileage and handling but my wife was against it. Great pick on your part and it will last another 10 years easy... Best of luck man!

I can fit a drum set into just about every car that I've owned, but the most convenient is my current car which is an small SUV (Mitsu Outlander) where the back seats fold down. I've always liked cars and vans over trucks because you can lock the stuff up and keep the stuff out of the weather too.

Citroen Berlingo. Tons of space, easy to load and very economical to run, whats not to like? And the missus thought I bought it for lugging furniture. Ha.

Jeep Wrangler 4-Door and used Jeeps are affordable 2nd hand or brand new…Only problem is that you'll end up carrying the PA and other assorted gear for the group which is okay except for the unloading of it all when everyone else is "late"…My 5 piece Ludwigs with 16x24 kick and all hardware including throne & cymbals fits in easily…I'd sometimes with an older 5 Piece kit (20x22 kick) leave snare and Rack Tom in stands (Have to know how to pack and secure these items for protection) and cymbal stands "lowered" with floor toms legs left as they are…Never any problems and get to the gig almost set up…Love that Jeep Wrangler 4-Door and is drummers best investment...

My last car was a 2005 Honda Civic. I drive a lot between DC and NJ in the USA. I drive a lot and I like a car to handle like a car instead of a truck, or SUV.

While I was down in DC right after Thanksgiving, some guy who was either texting or drinking or just had his head somewhere else while driving, smashed his Porshe' into the rear of my Civic, while I was stopped at an intersection waiting for the traffic to start moving again. It totaled my Civic and I had to purchase a new one.

I was shopping around, and found the Scion tC to be a good car for me and a drummer. The car has a hatchback, fold down seats, and I am able to get my large 22 x 18 base drum and all the toms in the car along with hardware and cymbals. The tC also is a two door, and if any of you are just a little taller than normal, two doors are slightly larger for entry and egress easier.

I checked out a few other small cars, like the newer Civic, the Mazda-3 and the Hyundai Veloster. I also wanted a manual transmission, and so the choices were limited and I had to put up with a few features that I was not really looking for such as: sun roof, great stereo system, cruise control, electric door locks and windows.

I am a mechanical engineer, and just do not like cars to be so dependent on electronics, computers and electrical systems. To paraphrase Smokey Yunick, cars are no place for computers. The car also has electric windows, and I keep thinking what would happen if I were to drive into a lake? Everyone would be calling me Ted.

Glad to hear you are safe.

For the last ten years I drove a chevy astro van. Removed the seats so it's more like a cargo van with windows.

I just recently bought a used Honda element. This is a great drum hauler!

My first car was a 1990 Honda Civic Si (hatchback). I was able to fit my 6 pc kit in the ol Humes and Berg econolines in there and still have a front seat passenger.

I am a mechanical engineer, and just do not like cars to be so dependent on electronics, computers and electrical systems. To paraphrase Smokey Yunick, cars are no place for computers. The car also has electric windows, and I keep thinking what would happen if I were to drive into a lake? Everyone would be calling me Ted.

You're joking, right? Cars have had electrical systems for 80 years. Cars have been utterly dependent on computers for a generation. Cars and computers coexist. Get over it. Don't be ass enough to drive into a lake - seriously, how probable is that? - and you'll be fine. If you're that worried about it, get one of those tools that first responders carry.

Anyway, another vote for the Scion xB here. Had the old body style and loved loved loved it. I have a 2-door JK Wrangler now, and can opine without reservation that it is NOT a drummer's car. Barely enough room for a 5-pc kit, and that's with the back seat completely removed.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have not bought the Wrangler and bought a Honda Element. What a marvelous machine. I considered buying a used or off-lease one when I bought my Jeep in 2012 (Honda stopped making Element in 2011). Been kicking myself ever since.

This is the most embarrassing thing I've ever said to anyone, but I have a weird, messed-up fascination with the most loathed car of the 21st century, the Pontiac Aztek. Evidently they are super-functional, and super spacious. Could be a great band vehicle, if everyone in the group is blind.

My wife came very close to buying one of those when they came out. I remember looking at one at a dealership and they even had a custom fitting tent you could attach to the back to make it comfortable to sleep in. I suppose it would be the ultimate for the musician whose vehicle is also his/her home. ;-)

My ride, 2012 Chevy Sonic LTZ Turbo:

Sonic-side-view-450x337.jpg

I've actually managed to load it up with an eight-piece kit (in cases), a big rack, mic stands, the whole works (though it left barely enough room for me to drive and made it very difficult to shift). However, I travel much lighter for most gigs so it's typically perfect (and it gets incredible mileage).

I have a Honda CRV and it's working for me. 28-30MPG around town and sits 5 comfortably. Fold down the seats and all my drum stuff fits perfect with room to spare.

I went from the Towm & Country to the Scion XB. Great affordable car with plenty of room.

My trusty XB The Toaster

Man I hope it's practical because that's quite possibly the ugliest car I ever saw :)

Jeez, was it made by the descendants of Albert Speer (no curves...everything square).

Kidding ya...who cares. It does it's job. I always go SUV these days. Received my company car list last week and would have LOVED to go Mazda 6 as I think they're beautiful cars (in my range). Had to go CX5 to fit the drums in :)

I have a Honda CRV and it's working for me. 28-30MPG around town and sits 5 comfortably. Fold down the seats and all my drum stuff fits perfect with room to spare.
Ran a diesel version for a good while. Excellent machine. I do find estate cars (station wagons) are more room efficient in general though, & more fuel efficient too. I can get 3 full kits, including all hardware & cymbals into my A6 estate. As for economy, I get well over 40mpg on a run, 50+ mpg if I'm gentle, & mine gets from 0 to 60mph in 5.8 seconds! Great for outrunning the hoards of fans - yeah right! :(

Man I hope it's practical because that's quite possibly the ugliest car I ever saw :)

Jeez, was it made by the descendants of Albert Speer (no curves...everything square).

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

:p

Seriously, I loved my xB. They do take some getting used to. I find you either love 'em or you hate 'em.

I made the mistake of putting one of my amateur radio antennas on it and driving it to work. When my coworkers started making fun of my "1:1 scale RC car" I took the antenna off. ;-)

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

:p

Seriously, I loved my xB. They do take some getting used to. I find you either love 'em or you hate 'em.

I made the mistake of putting one of my amateur radio antennas on it and driving it to work. When my coworkers started making fun of my "1:1 scale RC car" I took the antenna off. ;-)

:)

Nah...it's sad but when you have drums practicality quickly takes over from good looks...I get that

Back