Anyone ever wonder if it's all worth it?

See? What he said. I have no idea what anyone means when they say 'technique'.

Perhaps a "consciousness" of stick control? And what I mean by that is not trying to learn trad grip or matched grip 'cause someone said so, but to learn to control the stick via whatever methods work for you, whether it's Moeller, Gladstone, or your own methods. I think WhoIsTony was referring to the former interpretation of "technique" in his post above. Perhaps he can clarify?? Do you agree or not that stick control is the foundation for which all one's playing (and ability) is based? And further, that an honest assessment of one's ability starts at proper stick control?

Steph

Thanks Steph, I just gave up :(

I'm sorry to hear that, Andy! Half of my ass thinks you're kidding. In any event, this is my honest assessment of the OP's issue. "Just play" is certainly a valid solution, but I think that sells the OP short for what can be a very frustrating issue.

Steph

I'm sorry to hear that, Andy! Half of my ass thinks you're kidding. In any event, this is my honest assessment of the OP's issue. "Just play" is certainly a valid solution, but I think that sells the OP short for what can be a very frustrating issue.

Steph
Hahaha, of course I'm not giving up :) You're completely right of course, those foundation skills are the tools that give you creative choices, & those choices build to give you the most expansive expression palate to paint with.

For my part - my honest assessment of my own abilities - my stick control sucks, my left hand independence sucks, my mastery of rudiments sucks, yet somehow I manage to put a simple performance together & contribute to making the music sound good. I "get away with it" because usually, what limited choices I have available to me, I use fairly well - I have good ears, & my dynamic abilities allow for a degree of expression variation. Moreover, I'm relaxed in almost any playing situation, I play the spaces quite well when appropriate, I can stay on task, my bass drum placement is authoritative, I can stay on groove & in tempo, & I've finally driven the urgency out of my groove that "infected" it after spending 20 years out of playing.

In combination, the bits I'm good at, as well as the bits I'm not good at, are all "technique". You can divide value any way you wish. If I wasn't so busy/so distracted/so damn lazy, I might actually drag my sorry arse into practicing & progress :(

Hahaha, of course I'm not giving up :) You're completely right of course, those foundation skills are the tools that give you creative choices, & those choices build to give you the most expansive expression palate to paint with.

For my part - my honest assessment of my own abilities - my stick control sucks, my left hand independence sucks, my mastery of rudiments sucks, yet somehow I manage to put a simple performance together & contribute to making the music sound good. I "get away with it" because usually, what limited choices I have available to me, I use fairly well - I have good ears, & my dynamic abilities allow for a degree of expression variation. Moreover, I'm relaxed in almost any playing situation, I play the spaces quite well when appropriate, I can stay on task, my bass drum placement is authoritative, I can stay on groove & in tempo, & I've finally driven the urgency out of my groove that "infected" it after spending 20 years out of playing.

In combination, the bits I'm good at, as well as the bits I'm not good at, are all "technique". You can divide value any way you wish. If I wasn't so busy/so distracted/so damn lazy, I might actually drag my sorry arse into practicing & progress :(

Well let me clarify. I don't actually know exactly what the cause is for the OP's issue. I'm just saying what it COULD be, as I haven't heard the OP play, and even if I did, it could be a number of other issues that either singularly, or in combination, lead to the OP's frustration. But certainly I've touched on a important topic related to stick control (via technique) and how it COULD impact one's satisfaction or frustration with playing. I just think of that area in my own playing, somewhere between Neil Peart and Dave Weckl, where I had to learn a whole new ballgame to move forward. And it wasn't easy. It was a reinvention.

Edit: I'm glad I can trust half my ass with you. The other half will have to wait til I can afford to get to England :)

It should be fun to play drums. That's why I started. Once I began thinking to much about this and that it took the fun out if it. So i stopped thinking in an overly critical sense. Music isn't about microscopic introspection. It's about letting go, being free and releasing yourself from the tethers of mortal existence. If it ain't fun, one should quit.

Perhaps a "consciousness" of stick control? And what I mean by that is not trying to learn trad grip or matched grip 'cause someone said so, but to learn to control the stick via whatever methods work for you, whether it's Moeller, Gladstone, or your own methods. I think WhoIsTony was referring to the former interpretation of "technique" in his post above. Perhaps he can clarify?? Do you agree or not that stick control is the foundation for which all one's playing (and ability) is based? And further, that an honest assessment of one's ability starts at proper stick control?

Steph

Yep, the reason I am trying to improve finger control in my left hand is not because 'the latest DVD' told me to do it but because if I can improve this area then my stick control will be better and as a result I will be able to express myself better on the kit. And that is what it's all about, you may have the best musical ideas for the drums in the history of the earth but if you can't express them because the skills aren't there then it makes no difference.

Yep, the reason I am trying to improve finger control in my left hand is not because 'the latest DVD' told me to do it but because if I can improve this area then my stick control will be better and as a result I will be able to express myself better on the kit. And that is what it's all about, you may have the best musical ideas for the drums in the history of the earth but if you can't express them because the skills aren't there then it makes no difference.

How often are you practicing? The title of your thread gave me the impression that this frustration you're experiencing was on a recurring basis, hence my reply. In any event, it sounds like you are on the right track, at least in understanding the importance of stick control and technique.

Now I know where the other half of my arse is... I'm covering it!

Steph

How often are you practicing? The title of your thread gave me the impression that this frustration you're experiencing was on a recurring basis, hence my reply. In any event, it sounds like you are on the right track, at least in understanding the importance of stick control and technique.

Now I know where the other half of my arse is... I'm covering it!

Steph

:) I practice nearly every day either full kit of practice pad and usually everything goes well but sometimes I just hit a wall of frustration and want nothing more than to smash my drums to pieces! As predicted however, today I'm looking forward to getting back on the kit.

:) I practice nearly every day either full kit of practice pad and usually everything goes well but sometimes I just hit a wall of frustration and want nothing more than to smash my drums to pieces! As predicted however, today I'm looking forward to getting back on the kit.

And what is your experience level? Tell us more about yourself please. How long have you been playing drums? Any videos we can look at?

It should be fun to play drums. That's why I started. Once I began thinking to much about this and that it took the fun out if it. So i stopped thinking in an overly critical sense. Music isn't about microscopic introspection. It's about letting go, being free and releasing yourself from the tethers of mortal existence. If it ain't fun, one should quit.

Most of this I agree with. However I don't feel it applies to the practice room. Practice...if it's done right...is work. Work can be frustrating. It's the frustration that is pushing you forward. It would serve you well (talking to The Prof here) if you re-thought your frustration process.

Frustration....reveals your limitations. One must reveal one's limitations if those limitations are to be overcome. What I'm trying to say is frustration is a mark of progress. Maybe not today's progress, but tomorrow's.

Many times I come out of my own personal practice not frustrated. Which means I really didn't work that hard. I'm trying to make you realize that you (a) are a hard worker because you get frustrated, or (b) you're easily frustrated (very detrimental). If you look at the big picture when you are frustrated, meaning seeing frustration as a mark of imminent progress...maybe the frustration will be easier to endure.

Re: technique....Speaking for myself only, if I didn't have a teacher that taught a very specific technique, with detailed physical instructions about exactly how to move the stick...I wouldn't be here. Learning an efficient way to move the stick was far and away the greatest thing I ever did for my drumming. So for myself at least, I place a LOT of importance on technique, because I know what it did for me.

But everyone is different, there's many ways to the waterfall, I found mine, and everyone has to find theirs too.

If you can't take Andy to the mountain, then Andy will simply build his own mountain lol.

Yea, that's a lot less work than practicing lol.

Andrew, you continue to be the hardest working man I know, and there's nothing you can do to get yourself off of my "most respected" list.

the most important thing about the musicians journey and improving along that journey is understanding where you are and candidly accepting your current ability level .... it is the only way to truly improve

some of the biggest mistakes students of the game make .... and we are all students of the game.... are

(1 - feeling like they are a more skilled player than they actually are which leads to rude awakenings and frustration

and

(2- comparing yourself to the skill level of others which also commonly results in rude awakenings and frustration

my advice....

stop worrying so much about "techniques " and play music
through playing music all the techniques you will ever need will arise in two ways ...
- one being that most techniques will develop naturally within your musical playing.
- and another being you will realize specifically what you need to work on to manipulate the stick and make it work for you.... and in turn make the music sound better ... thats when you take the time to work on it

I see it all the time..... drummers waste years mastering all these name brand "techniques" because the latest hottest DVD told them to ..... and they never once use them while playing music

I throw this quote around a lot .... one of the greatest drummers to ever live once told me
".... forget all that shit man, just play music "

chin up big dog

This a million times over. Every word of it.

As far as technique... We're now bombarded with technique ideas/dvd's etc.... If all you ever focus on is technique you've lost the big picture in my opinion on why we do it in the first place. Quite frankly, I haven't worked on technique in decades. I simply don't care about the latest trends. What I developed was taught to me long ago and it allows me to play what I hear and want to. Then again, what I play may not be as demanding as most others.

Ultimately I do all of this for one person.... Me. If I can't satisfy me, then how the heck can I satisfy anyone else. Does that mean I'm satisfied with my playing? Yes and no. I am the best me I can be for this moment. Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow and better than that the next day....

What are you using as your compass and gauge?

The reasons why people do this are far and wide. Some people hope to be able to play along with their favorite songs and that's all. Others hope to make it to the "big stage". Many are in between those (including me).

Is it worth it? To me it's a lifelong process that I can't imagine not having been a part of for the last 37 years, and have no intentions on leaving.

Take a 32 year break like I did and then ask yourself that when you come back. We all play for different reasons, and I play for me in my house and after such a long break every minute is worth it.

I usually enjoy playing but also often find myself getting really annoyed that I can't do something...like today for example trying(and failing) to improve my finger control with the left hand. I end up getting so annoyed at myself I wonder if I should just give up - I don't even enjoy playing out because of nerves, so what's the point? Then of course tomorrow comes around and I'm back to enjoying it again :)

Anyone else ever get this?

YES - weekly :) As a newbie (less than one year playing) my teacher is constantly forcing me to do things that are uncomfortable and difficult. The same scenario plays out every time - I just expect it now. The number of days will vary with the difficulty of the new concept but the basic outline is appropriate:

DAY 1 Introduced to new, difficult concept (routine/groove/technique/etc.)

DAY 2 Practice new, difficult concept poorly with little sign of improvement.

DAY 3 See DAY 2 - add throwing sticks and cursing loudly.

DAY 4 New concept becomes easiest thing ever, wonder how it could take me so long to nail it.

If I listen to my teacher I will continue to improve.

MM

While I know it is worth it for both my sanity and happiness, I often feel very silly when I play. It seems like such a childlike activity, sitting down and hitting things with sticks. Technique and everything else aside, I do often wonder what is the point. This does not deter me from playing, however.

Steph

I'm probably beyond that rudimentary definition, but yeah, you could say that too ;)

Ultimately I do all of this for one person.... Me. If I can't satisfy me, then how the heck can I satisfy anyone else. Does that mean I'm satisfied with my playing? Yes and no. I am the best me I can be for this moment. Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow and better than that the next day....

What are you using as your compass and gauge?

I certainly feel that for some of us, there is a power trip going on, as in I'm not just playing for me, but for the people that know me, know my playing, and expect a certain level of playing from me. And although I don't have experience playing for a living, I believe those that do, have to at some point be doing it for other reasons than joy. There are going to be dates where you just don't feel like playing, yet you are obligated to.

I grew up thinking the drums looked cool, that I wanted to impress my siblings and friends by learning to play them. Did I enjoy the pure act of hitting them? Of course. But how much of my joy came from impressing people too? How much joy (or power trip) do we get when (a) we know we're kicking ass up there, and (b) we know not many people can do what we can do?

And in today's world of drumming, with the internet, the online videos, the myriad of recording tools, it's getting very competitive. And fun.

Steph

Back