Anyone ever wonder if it's all worth it?

The Prof

I usually enjoy playing but also often find myself getting really annoyed that I can't do something...like today for example trying(and failing) to improve my finger control with the left hand. I end up getting so annoyed at myself I wonder if I should just give up - I don't even enjoy playing out because of nerves, so what's the point? Then of course tomorrow comes around and I'm back to enjoying it again :)

Anyone else ever get this?

Yes, all the time, and this week's Reason For Packing It In For Good And All is that my favourite brother-in-law, who hasn't picked up a drumstick in 40-odd years, has never had a lesson in his life and wouldn't know a rudiment if one bit him on the arse, played my drums with such natural fluency - way, way better than me - that I'm not sure I even like him any more.

I usually enjoy playing but also often find myself getting really annoyed that I can't do something...like today for example trying(and failing) to improve my finger control with the left hand. I end up getting so annoyed at myself I wonder if I should just give up - I don't even enjoy playing out because of nerves, so what's the point? Then of course tomorrow comes around and I'm back to enjoying it again :)

No, never. Drumming is like sex, you don't need to be that good at it to enjoy it.... ;0)

To The Prof...

I can feel your frustration. You have to remember that the real reason for playing the drums is not so you can do 128th notes with your fingers....it's to provide the rhythm to a song and to make it feel good. It's not good to tunnel vision on certain isolated elements. Better to step back and soak in the big picture.

Drumming is more about how well you can feel and translate good musical time and coming up with an interesting drum part, and not some sterile performance test that's measured by a clock. It's more about understanding what the music needs, what your musical partners need from you, not the fact that you can do 500 beats a minute one handed.

My advice would be to stop focusing on the brush strokes and instead focus on the entire painting, what is it saying to you?

Practicing drums alone....you can only go so far. The other vital elements (the rest of the band) aren't there. So understand that you don't have all the pieces to work with when practicing alone. How will this help with your left hand finger control? It won't, you still have to work on that, ha ha.

Sorry I was just trying to be Zen-like. Allowing yourself to get annoyed is what actually needs the attention. Your finger control will come together. My advise is work on not being annoyed. When you start feeling annoyed, instead try to smile and say.... thou drumsticks are a worthy opponent.

Oh and BTW, I can honestly say that all the frustration and annoying things that you endure....they are the very things that make it all worth it. So know that you are doing good when you want to frisbee a cymbal into your doorframe.

I don't wonder, I know. Its not worth it!
I still do it anyhow because I am old and I simply can't think of anything else to do :)

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's nice to see that I'm not alone and also receive some sage words on the bigger picture :) . This site is always good for moral support - Cheaper than a counselor and since my problems are always drum related I don't think a counselor would quite understand anyway!

Echo what everyone else has said. I'd add that, when it comes to feeling like you aren't getting anywhere, it has to do with technique, since technique is the foundation for which everything else you do on the kit is based. Proper technique allows you to constantly get better. Jojo being the perfect example. Look what he can do with just one hand. Having that kind of technique, or at least working on it, allows you not only to play the beats you know how to play, but also get by on the beats you don't.

And if you aren't practicing regularly, then that would be an even bigger obstacle to overcome first.

Steph

I really don't know what the issue is here. I sit down and play and get better all the time. In fact, I can go for days without picking up sticks and find that I've improved! My timing and groove and chops have never been better. It's amazing. Girlfriend and a wife too. I am truly blessed ;)

I really don't know what the issue is here. I sit down and play and get better all the time. In fact, I can go for days without picking up sticks and find that I've improved! My timing and groove and chops have never been better. It's amazing. Girlfriend and a wife too. I am truly blessed ;)

I know Bo you're my hero. That girls parts start at her shoulder.

But back to us mere mortals...

Here's the thing, and I know most can relate.

You're practicing. Having a "bad" day. Everything is hard, nothing works.

So you stop because you're frustrated.

The next time you sit down to do what you were trying before, it's much easier, and you actually get somewhere with it.

See when you stop practicing, your mind is still figuring stuff out. Going through the frustration is part of cracking the nut. Your brain doesn't accept that you can't do it and keeps working and you don't even know it. So the frustration is the prelude to the breakthrough. So the trick is to know that, and simply minimize your own personal frustration, however you can.

Just keep telling yourself that lol.

Bob also makes a good point lol.

the most important thing about the musicians journey and improving along that journey is understanding where you are and candidly accepting your current ability level .... it is the only way to truly improve

some of the biggest mistakes students of the game make .... and we are all students of the game.... are

(1 - feeling like they are a more skilled player than they actually are which leads to rude awakenings and frustration

and

(2- comparing yourself to the skill level of others which also commonly results in rude awakenings and frustration

my advice....

stop worrying so much about "techniques " and play music
through playing music all the techniques you will ever need will arise in two ways ...
- one being that most techniques will develop naturally within your musical playing.
- and another being you will realize specifically what you need to work on to manipulate the stick and make it work for you.... and in turn make the music sound better ... thats when you take the time to work on it

I see it all the time..... drummers waste years mastering all these name brand "techniques" because the latest hottest DVD told them to ..... and they never once use them while playing music

I throw this quote around a lot .... one of the greatest drummers to ever live once told me
".... forget all that shit man, just play music "

chin up big dog

Last edited:
the most important thing about the musicians journey and improving along that journey is understanding where you are and candidly accepting your current ability level .... it is the only way to truly improve

some of the biggest mistakes students of the game make .... and we are all students of the game.... are

(1 - feeling like they are a more skilled player than they actually are which leads to rude awakenings and frustration

and

(2- comparing yourself to the skill level of others which also commonly results in rude awakenings and frustration

my advice....

through playing music all the techniques you will ever need will arise in two ways ...
- one being that most techniques will develop naturally within your musical playing.
- and another being you will realize specifically what you need to work on to manipulate the stick and make it work for you.... and in turn make the music sound better ... thats when you take the time to work on it

I see it all the time..... drummers waste years mastering all these name brand "techniques" because the latest hottest DVD told them to ..... and they never once use them while playing music

I throw this quote around a lot .... one of the greatest drummers to ever live once told me

chin up big dog

See? What he said. I have no idea what anyone means when they say 'technique'.

It's a personal challenge. It's a way to better yourself, even if you're the only one who knows it. When you eventually get it down, you'll say it's worth it. Just keep having fun.

Sounds normal to me.

If you can't do something try it slow and practice it daily.. If that doesn't work then you can do other things. We're all different and have different strengths. Peter Erskine doesn't play like Derek Roddy and vice versa.

Your gig nerves are normal too, it's an attitude thing that you have to sort out yourself but it gets easier the more you play them. I used to have severe anxiety and these days I can play a show and love the attention and play well.

I know this isn't your message intention here Tony, but subconsciously, my brain is wired to take this one step further. In my own little micro world, I constantly underrate my ability level, & as a result, regularly surprise myself. That way, I'm almost constantly happy & have the most enjoyable journey possible. I'm convinced that joy translates into my performances. Not always, but often enough :)

Every day I feel differently. Some days I'm tired and I can't do anything right.

and

my advice....

chin up big dog

Nice post, Tony!

I get both the everyday joy of playing and improving - and the constant feeling that the better I get, the more I realize how much I don't know and can't do... like the goalpost of 'what's good drumming' in my mind keeps moving a lot faster than my skills are improving - but all that said, it's just feeds into the cycle of practicing more and enjoying it more - so it's all good.

Think we are to some degree condemned to never be quite as good as we'd like to be... But that's OK because it's fun...

Back