Just curious -----------

Andy

Honorary Member
This is not a bleating thread, just genuinely curious. I put up a snare competition a while back. Although the competition isn't exclusively aimed at forum members, it was certainly the focus. I tried to make it accessible to all members, & craft it such that the entry process would be interesting & creative. Almost a little thank you for putting up with me.

The response has been far less than I anticipated. A few enthusiastic members have really jumped in with both feet, & I like that a lot. Don't get me wrong, if very few enter the competition, one of those enthusiastic members will win the prize, & that's kinda cool in it's own way. As of now, we have no entries in the under 16 or pro player categories, so any entry would be almost guaranteed entry into the final draw.

I'm interested in why so few have entered. I think the prize is more than worth the effort to enter, especially with such low odds of winning, or maybe the prize isn't that interesting - please tell me. Is entering too much of a hassle, or too difficult? I could have done some silly question thing with an obvious answer, but my thinking was to use creativity as something more interesting & inclusive than the usual stuff.

Anyhow, any insight is appreciated. It won't change the competition now, but it is useful if I decide to do it again.

Thanks, Andy.

I can't remember seeing a competition thread from you lately, and looking back through your thread history I can't find it now either... Where exactly did you post it?

Andy, in my case it's because I have a dislike creating videos due to my natural talent in that field (or rather, lack thereof, including experience and/or equipment). Plus, the existing entries are superb so what sense does it make for somebody like me (provided I could come up with at least a minimum of creativity) to participate? Wait - there IS one reason: I'd help the other entries getting higher ranking because my video would be sub par, haha. Statistics 'n stuff. Now I see ;-)

The situation is remarkable indeed - the prize is stunning. I'd have expected more entries though.

Seriously, once I feel the time is right (and knowing what kind of snare I'd like to have/'need' - and I'm far far away from having that knowledge yet) I'd pull the trigger and spend the cash to get a Guru snare anyway. I think in this case my chances of getting one would be 100% ;-)

I consider myself lucky enough to have a kit set up, mate. A way to record them? A pipe dream at this stage. Pure fantasy. Unfortunately life has prioritised many things to attack my meagre wallet before recording equipment....or even zoom cameras find their way into the house. I could noodle around on a snare drum for you, but you'll struggle to hear it from that far away.

I still plan on entering Andy, life has just been so full as of late (work, school, homework, family) that I haven't even really been able to sit down and play let alone make a video that I would be happy entering. I was thinking about getting my daughter to make a video for the 16 and under category. She has never hit a drum nor has any interest to, I can only imagine what she would come up with.

I have not forgotten, but unfortunately I have numerous other responsibilities that have been encompassing all of my time. School is done next week, so I should be able to find some time somewhere.

I think the competitio is an excellent one in both idea and execution. I especially like the different catagories of drummer giving all types of experience and ability a go !!

My apologies for not thanking you for putting such an excellent comp and prize up...that is poor form on my part.

Interestingly I have been trying to get something together "worthy" of posting...partly because of my ability and partly that I only have a camera mike to store my "masterpiece on"

Alas I have been unwell lately which has slowed me down...which may excuse the lack of a post, but not the absence of a thank you.

Is there any way of "pinning" the cometition as I tend to find if its not in "todays posts" I tend to miss things...maybee its the same for others...thats the only "improvment" I can think of.

I hope you get many more responses...you deserve them !!

I can't remember seeing a competition thread from you lately, and looking back through your thread history I can't find it now either... Where exactly did you post it?
Sorry Naige, I posted it under my Guru Drums forum account, as I try to keep things separate, but this "question" is of great personal interest to me.

Here's the competition link: http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/#!snare-competition/c1lag

So guys, to date, it's a few reasons:

1/ Lack of time - I can't do anything about that :(

2/ No recording gear - happy to accept recordings from a mobile phone so long as the audio isn't distorted. If the audio is quiet, we can get around that. It should be noted that audio quality is not a judging consideration.

3/ Don't think I'm good enough - Arky = bollocks! BTW, David Floegel's entry is withdrawn due to his recently announced artist status. Arky, you do realise you qualify in the "beginner" category don't you?

Thanks guys, keep these reasons coming, no matter how frivolous they may seem. Don't be frightened to say if the prize is of no interest to you either (although I'd appreciate knowing why) I'm keen to understand what's going on :)

Cheers, Andy.

I also plan to make a video, I need to nab my wife when we have a non-busy weekend and make her help me with my entry. I don't know how to use the recording equipment.

Arky, you do realise you qualify in the "beginner" category don't you?

Don't tell him that! That's my category!

Shall I tell you why I DID enter?

1) I want a Guru snare and it's cheaper than buying one.
2) The way the competition has been organised levels the playing field. There aren't many competitions that a drummer like me could even enter, let alone stand a chance of winning.
3) In the light of 2) above, it would have seemed churlish not to enter.
4) It was one hell of a challenge for me: it pushed me further out of my comfort zone than I think I've ever been, certainly as far as drumming is concerned. I don't actually care about winning the drum any more: I've won against myself, and that's a more valuable and longer-term battle, and it's already had a positive effect.
5) It took about half an hour of my life. Even at my age, that's not a lot to lose.
6) I used my iPad to record it. Easy peasy.

Come on, you lot. I want to beat ALL of you!

Sorry Naige, I posted it under my Guru Drums forum account, as I try to keep things separate, but this "question" is of great personal interest to me.

Here's the competition link: http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/#!snare-competition/c1lag

Ah, that explains it, and I do actually remember glancing at that a while back and dismissing it completely when seeing it was a playing contest.

For me, I'm definitely in category 3 on this one. I don't really like soloing, and I've got zero experience composing and playing solo pieces. If the submissions and judging were done in private, I might be more tempted to enter, but as it stands I really don't feel confident enough to submit a solo piece in a public setting :)

My apologies for not thanking you for putting such an excellent comp and prize up...that is poor form on my part.
Apology absolutely not necessary, but thank you :)

I also plan to make a video, I need to nab my wife when we have a non-busy weekend and make her help me with my entry. I don't know how to use the recording equipment.
Excellent! Mobile phone!!!!

1) I want a Guru snare and it's cheaper than buying one.
I used my iPad to record it. Easy peasy.

Come on, you lot. I want to beat ALL of you!
Excellent reason for entering ;)

Ah, that explains it, and I do actually remember glancing at that a while back and dismissing it completely when seeing it was a playing contest.

For me, I'm definitely in category 3 on this one. I don't really like soloing, and I've got zero experience composing and playing solo pieces. If the submissions and judging were done in private, I might be more tempted to enter, but as it stands I really don't feel confident enough to submit a solo piece in a public setting :)
Naige, it doesn't have to be a solo, it can be part of a kit performance, so long as the main element is expression & using different snare sounds/voices. If you view some of the entries to date, you'll see that it doesn't have to be a serious/studious submission.

Examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZrvN82TM9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i31xY3y-uic&feature=youtu.be

I tried to make something Andy but I just wasn't proud of what I came up with, or confident that I could win. I saw an entry where the guy had some modest equipment and I thought it would be nice if he won.

I might revisit.

I advertised some FREE iron cobras on a facebook classified the other week, no one responded to that either. Maybe this internet isn't as big as we thought it was.

I am with Dre on this one. I did actually record something, but in the end it really wasnt very good. The last thing I want is something I am not proud of being posted on this site, or anywhere else for that matter. I am always looking for new opportunities and I am very protective of my online image.

I have a modicum of talent (I think) but soloing on a snare is not my strong suit. I really hope somebody who needs it wins. That would be fine with me.

I think that for some people Andy it will be a case of just not being bothered, most competitions now don't take any effort to enter, just by answering a question you are entered into the draw. Your competition takes a little more effort and time, I guess that if you take all the factors in to consideration (amount of people aware of the competition, people with time to enter, people with a video camera etc etc) you may well find that it's not that many, take out the people who could enter but can't be bothered and you probably have your answer.

Not saying that this is a good thing and I would agree that the prize is a bit special but I do think that when people have to make an extra effort then you may end up a little disappointed.

Or maybe I'm just a bit cynical :).

Mark

My reason/excuse for not submitting is not time related. More talent related. I had what I thought was a good idea until I saw some of the clips of other submissions that you had posted. There is no way for me to win so (much like a little whiny kid) I fell its not worth submitting. after seeing the clips I do know its going to be hard for you guys to pick a winner!

I entered because you can't win if you don't play. That being said, I believe I have zero chance of winning. My video was just off the cuff rambling on the snare drum. I'm no good at solos. Heck, it only took about 15 minutes of my time. I had 3 practice takes. The only reason I haven't done a second one is because there are so few entries.

Thumbs up to Magenta! She showed some major class by doing a video.

I think that for some people Andy it will be a case of just not being bothered, most competitions now don't take any effort to enter, just by answering a question you are entered into the draw.
Mark
Thanks Mark for your candid answer, I appreciate it. I must admit, the part of your reply I've highlighted is a disappointment to me. I've always worked on the assumption that I'm going to have to put some effort in if I want to get something worthwhile back out. The competitions that require almost no effort, or otherwise ask a silly easy question, aren't really competitions to me.

The whole idea was based around imagination & expression. I did that deliberately to exclude sheer chops ability from the equation. On a general note, I'm also surprised to see replies from players who I regard as very capable, professing they're not good enough. With the greatest respect to those entered thus far, there's not exactly unattainable levels on display here, & the ones I believe stand the best chances with the judging panel, are ones that think a little outside of the box. A superbly crafted & executed snare solo is not the aim here. Do some grooves on a kit if you wish, just make sure you use different sounds from the snare drum (cross stick, rimshot, snares off/on, etc).

As for entries being made public, I'm afraid that's a given. I can certainly refrain from putting up video entries up here if requested, but ultimately, if you win, people are going to want to see the winning entry, & probably the shortlist for the draw too, so it's difficult to avoid.

Apology absolutely not necessary, but thank you :)
Naige, it doesn't have to be a solo, it can be part of a kit performance, so long as the main element is expression & using different snare sounds/voices. If you view some of the entries to date, you'll see that it doesn't have to be a serious/studious submission.

I see. I guess the wording led me to believe I was supposed to come up with something special.

I might make a pass at this if I come up with something cool :)

I see. I guess the wording led me to believe I was supposed to come up with something special.

I might make a pass at this if I come up with something cool :)
I hope you do - really! :)

I entered because you can't win if you don't play. The only reason I haven't done a second one is because there are so few entries.
Put in as many as you like. They'll all be considered equally, so long as they're all different.

Thumbs up to Magenta! She showed some major class by doing a video.
Absolutely!!!!!!

Back