Mapex Saturn SE Walnut\Birch

Tcat69

Attached, is my Ocean Fade Mapex Saturn..
8x7, 10x8, 12x9(left of hi hat), 14 & 16 floor toms, 22 bass drum.

Attachments

• DSCN1953 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1953 (Medium).JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 2,060
  • DSCN1952 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1952 (Medium).JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,781
  • DSCN1948 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1948 (Medium).JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 2,102
  • DSCN1943 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1943 (Medium).JPG
    199 KB · Views: 1,709
That finish is to die for. I have the same setup but in maple/walnut.

Wow, that's a sexy finish! Saw it at the Frankfurt Musikmesse last year. Just gorgeous.
I was considering this kit/finish before buying my first drumkit. (I went for a Sonor Delite.)

years ago mapex caught my eye with fade finishes, not sure if they were first, but the first I saw. Nothing like this though, looks amamzing!

Gorgeous.....2 questions. Is that a wrap or done by the worlds best painter? and is the hardware black chrome or just the lighting?

Last edited:
Gorgeous.....2 questions. Is that a wrap or done by the worlds best painter? and is the hardward black chrome or just the lighting?

I saw a guy on tv make a table that looked like that, not blue, and he had to do it under a steam press before the finish to get the wrinkle flat. it was crazy, and if this is the same thing its just nuts!!

Gorgeous.....2 questions. Is that a wrap or done by the worlds best painter? and is the hardward black chrome or just the lighting?

Thanks. The finish is lacquered produced in China of all places. The hardware is black chrome. I wasn't sure I'd be a big fan...but the black works with the color.

Congrats!! I have the exact same kit (also with the 8x7 tom add-on) and I'm using almost the same configuration, except that I have the 16" at my left instead of the 12".

I'm in love with the finish and the sound.
Enjoy!!!

Well I think the black chrome does just the trick. The fact that I had to ask, to me, means its not overbearing and it does look great with that blue.

The craziest thing I have ever seen with wood finish was some old TV show where the guys put one clear finish over a finish with some color while it was still tacky, then covered it in mud, fine mud, and as the mud dried it pulled the mosture out of the under coat and caused it to crack, but the top finish was as smooth as glass The cracks were very small sections like 1/4 x 1/4 inch . I would love to see that on a nice wood grain.

Edit. It had this appearance but with much more even cracks and a semi-gloss clear.

Attachments

• imagesCAURDWJ4.jpg
    imagesCAURDWJ4.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,464
Well I think the black chrome does just the trick. The fact that I had to ask, to me, means its not overbearing and it does look great with that blue.

The craziest thing I have ever seen with wood finish was some old TV show where the guys put one clear finish over a finish with some color while it was still tacky, then covered it in mud, fine mud, and as the mud dried it pulled the mosture out of the under coat and caused it to crack, but the top finish was as smooth as glass The cracks were very small sections like 1/4 x 1/4 inch . I would love to see that on a nice wood grain.

Edit. It had this appearance but with much more even cracks and a semi-gloss clear.

You mean Crackle Paint? That's available at most home depot stores here.
I've been toying with the idea of finishing some old toms I have in it, so that my grandaughter has a small kit to play on - as she's only 15 months old I think I've got time to do it.

BTW Tcat, I love that kit. I think I may have just seen my new favourite finish!

it wasn't crackle paint. I have used that this was clear poly over a tinted base coat covered in mud until it dried. The mud drying took days

Last edited:
Somebody likes the Weckl!

Man, Legacies are really nice cymbals. You have a very nice setup (though the blue is a bit saturated for me- perhaps it's just the flash on the camera in those shots).

How did you ever guess I am a Weckl fan? :)

The 20" Legacy ride is my favorite cymbal along with the Evolution hats. The location just above my main ride, a 21" HH RBDR, allows me to easily changeup the ride texture. The only thing in common soundwise between the two cymbals is that they are dark.

While the finish is a brilliant blue, the camera flash definitely exaggerates the brilliance.

Seems like somebody grabbed some ocean waves and sandwiched it between 2 layers of lacquer- what an amazing look (I'm also a fan of black chrome- really makes it pop)!

Back