The biggest gear hoarders in DW

If I were doing session work, and needed a bunch of different sounds on tap, I could see some degree of collecting. But I have neither that need, the financial wherewithal or the space. So I have two kits. A regular kit and a small Safari kit. 5 snares ranging from an Acrolite to a hammered brass, couple of maple in different depths and a 12" side snare. Looking at a 13x7 next year but that should cover any gig I'm going to get or sound I need. Three rides ranging from trashy and washy to medium dry. Bright and dark hats, And 7 various crash cymbals. Maybe if I get a gig doing a bunch of house band for jams I'll get a used mid range kit so I don't abuse my D'Amicos.

I have a Strat, Tele, 335 and Epi jazzbox, nylon and steel acoustics. That covers most guitar noises although a 12st would be nice. A Fender Deluxe and a Fuchs ODS (which is a sort of Dumble like thing) cover most guitar sounds I like, along with a ZT Lunchbox for those quick lounge gigs. 1 bass and bass amp. A Hammond M3 and a Motif for keys along with my mom's old grand in the living room. The clarinet my son gave up on, an alto sax, and I'd like to find a cheap trombone to record some more realistic brass with.

And along the piano in the house, there's always room for cello. Just a cheap student one but I love the sound of it.

More about variety than subtle differences in stuff. There's some things I'd like to have. Like a Vox or /13 amp, a really nice deep metal snare like a buddy's Dunnett I played awhile back. But they're not necessary. The 13x7 was going to be a build from a Vaughncraft solid shell, but there's a PDP bubinga one out there that sounds great for just a couple hundred. Hard to justify a bunch of money on this stuff.

I'm too damned poor to be a hoarder. I also like to travel light, and I'm allergic to clutter. I'm not even a blip on the "hoarding" radar.

30 kits

84 snares

791 cymbals

Bermuda

How do you sort your cymbals so you know where the one you want is? It isn't exactly like you can alphabetize them. Are they by brand, size, age, just thrown in a box and a crap shoot?

For thread purposes, I have 1 kit, 1 snare, 2 rides, and 1 set of hats. Oh I do have 2.5 pedals, a Pearl 902 double, a Ludwig Ghost, and the important part of a Speed King (the mechanical assembly, just needs a foot board and base plate).

2 kits 2 snares 5 cymbals
I had up to 4 snares but it stressed me out
I can see having hundreds of cymbals though. cymbals have the most individual voice on a kit. to me they are the most collectible item.

Oh I do have 2.5 pedals, a Pearl 902 double, a Ludwig Ghost, and the important part of a Speed King (the mechanical assembly, just needs a foot board and base plate).

I believe the collectors call that part the "goal posts".

By that note I have 4.5 snares as I sold a pitted supra shell but kept the lugs, hoops and throw. 3 of my snares are custom, 2 of which were made for me, so I don't know how I'll ever sell anything. Oh and an extra kick so 2.25 kits. Better watch your back John, I'm gunning for your title.

My gear hoarding addiction is quite bad. It looks modest but then I add in the other instruments. It's worse when you consider I live in a one-bedroom flat (with a cellar room, thank proverbial).

To date, three drum kits but with notable extras. I have my 'kit', then I have another 'kit' and a third electronic 'kit'. Three snare drums, an extra bass drum and another small kits worth of shells that have been in that state for years. My cymbal collection consists of about eight cymbals, four of which are regular 'main-line' and the rest are effects. I have no idea what my percussion collection consists of, other than it is quite varied.

I also own. Three electric guitars, two acoustic guitars and three basses. Three amplifiers. A violin, an electric piano, a (small) electric organ, a didge, electronic instruments (arduinome, etc.).

And a lute.

Let a bunch of gear go to get PA, and my studio up and running. Currently

2-Kits
3-Snares
8-Cymbals

I'm really loving all the gear I currently have though...

Wow. I feel a lot better about my drum room. I thought I was going off the deep end with:

5 complete kits
7 snares
60 cymbals (give or take)
about half a dozen orphan drums and percussion items
16 DW piccolo toms and...
an uncounted number of chrome things.

I don't have the notoriety of Bermuda, nor the vendor support

FWIW, the vast majority of my gear was purchased new or used, and not acquired via any of my endorsements. Cymbals in particular... Probably only 10% came to me through Sabian.

Bermuda

Wow, I'm lame.

2 sets
3 snares
2 pairs of hats
2 rides
2 crashes
1 splash
2 congas
2 djembes
1 Darbuka
1 set of bongos
More random things

Hoarding such a bad word...this is not junk, but small collectable ferrari's that can "race" together in harmony. :)

Agree hoarding has a negative connotation. But what is the difference between hoarding and collecting? Is there a difference?

How do you sort your cymbals so you know where the one you want is? It isn't exactly like you can alphabetize them. Are they by brand, size, age, just thrown in a box and a crap shoot?

Stored ( somewhat) by size, each coded under the bell (to match hats and otherwise identify one cymbal from another) and entered in a database. Most cymbals are sampled, so I can audition them before dragging them out to hear each.

But over the last few years, I've been using about 30 Sabians exclusively, and they reside in handy bags and cases, separate from the others for easy access.

I'm gradually beginning to let go of some Paistes, they'll be the first to go when it's time to purge. I suppose eventually they'll all have to go. It goes without saying that I won't be here to see that!

Bermuda

Only 2 kits (one in restoration), four snares, about 20 cymbals. But I *do* have all the currently released Bond movies, as well as every Godzilla movie ever released.

I can see having hundreds of cymbals though. cymbals have the most individual voice on a kit. to me they are the most collectible item.

Piece for piece, they also take up the least space. :)

S
I'm gradually beginning to let go of some Paistes, they'll be the first to go when it's time to purge. I suppose eventually they'll all have to go. It goes without saying that I won't be here to see that!

Bermuda

are you going to delete the sound files as well or would that just be silly?

Back