To mention or not to mention?

Davo-London

Gold Member
Hey

Hypothetically, if you regularly played in church (bass and drums) and a new drummer came along that over-played all the time and made himself the centre of music attention. Everyone seems to think he is great and I'm the only one stewing away not liking his contribution because it's inappropriate and he doesn't play the song. I hypothetically find myself picking out all his faults, whilst everyone else is celebrating his unique contribution. I'm hypothetically worried that I'm just jealous that he's more ballsy than me.

Hypothetically, should I approach the drummer, as a bassist, and discuss why I think other grooves/riffs would work better etc, talk to the band leaders about my view, or just carry on stewing?

Cheers
Davo

That's a difficult situation.

Here's an idea for you: Record the performance. Listen to it by yourself. Give it an honest evaluation.

If you still feel the way you do now, then hold a meeting with all band members present. Play the recording and discuss it. Questions like, how can we improve on our performance. Etc.

Hypothetically, I would change to another church.
Just don't join the Buddy Rich Church. I don't think that you will like it there :)

In that kind of situation, you might be best to just let it play out. Overplaying might look really cool to non musicians, but they will tire of it rather quickly. Flash and flair are one thing, but really soon it begins to be the center of attention. And that isn't really what a worship team is there for, now is it? The overplaying will be overpowering in a worship atmosphere, and will take away from the experience.

I think some people don't want to appear too negative in church and so they may "over praise" the new guy or girl to show their support, and to make the new musician feel good and at home. I wouldn't take all the compliments the new drummer is getting too seriously. You probably are correct in your assessment of overplaying and playing too loud or flashy.

Your playing is most likely more appropriate for the music and the situation.

I kind of had a different experience when I first started playing drums in church. I was the first drummer ever to play during the morning worship service at this church, so we didn't really know how it would go over with the congregation. When I first started playing in church, a couple of people would tell me to play louder and flashier. I just said that I didn't think that was good for the music and I kept playing what I thought sounded right for the music. Now, many years have passed and I've been thanked many times for not bashing and for not playing too many unnecessary fills.

I don't have any advice on how to handle your situation, other than just do what you do and let the other player be the other player, good or bad. If someone asks your opinion about the new drummer, just mention that you have a very different style, both with the bass and drums, than the new drummer, and that the primary role of the drummer in church is to be part of the rhythm section and not to be "lead" drummer. But I'd only say something if asked, so that you don't come off as too critical, even though you are not and are concerned with the integrity of the music.

You know as I've gotten older, in all kinds of situations I'm beginning to just be more patient and holding my tongue. And it always works out because somebody else will bring it up, or the offending person just implodes and becomes a non-issue. I used to have an issue with everything in my younger days which may have branded me as "the Complainer", now I just get along and it tends to attract more people rather than repel them.

I say be cool for a bit and watch what happens - busy drummers are like novelty acts. Everybody figures it out in the end.

You know as I've gotten older, in all kinds of situations I'm beginning to just be more patient and holding my tongue. And it always works out because somebody else will bring it up, or the offending person just implodes and becomes a non-issue. I used to have an issue with everything in my younger days which may have branded me as "the Complainer", now I just get along and it tends to attract more people rather than repel them.

I say be cool for a bit and watch what happens - busy drummers are like novelty acts. Everybody figures it out in the end.

Amen Bo!

Better to be the Bjorn Borg than the John McEnroe!

What does the musical director say? If he/she doesn't think the new guy is overplaying, then maybe he isn't? Just because it's not to your taste doesn't necessarily mean it's inappropriate. And I'd pretty much argue the point that if the rest of the musicians are digging it and most importantly, the audience are appreciative and enjoying themselves, then it certainly isn't.

As a bassist, I think you're perfectly entitled to have a chat with him about how best to approach playing together as a rhythm section, but I'd also be sensitive that everyone else seems to dig what he doing, so maybe it's not as OTT as you believe it is. I see tons of drummers who approach music differently to me.........it doesn't make them wrong, it just makes them different.

What does the musical director say? If he/she doesn't think the new guy is overplaying, then maybe he isn't? Just because it's not to your taste doesn't necessarily mean it's inappropriate. And I'd pretty much argue the point that if the rest of the musicians are digging it and most importantly, the audience are appreciative and enjoying themselves, then it certainly isn't.

As a bassist, I think you're perfectly entitled to have a chat with him about how best to approach playing together as a rhythm section, but I'd also be sensitive that everyone else seems to dig what he doing, so maybe it's not as OTT as you believe it is. I see tons of drummers who approach music differently to me.........it doesn't make them wrong, it just makes them different.

Good point.

Maybe his kind of drumming is exactly what they have been looking for.
After all, drumming lifts my spirit when I'm feeling low.

I would be grateful as heck if I got a second drummer like that. When I end up playing bass, many times I have to refrain from throwing it aside and getting behind the kit myself, such is the average ability level of our second-string drummers.

Give it time. Most people didn't learn to play for the song overnight.

I hypothetically find myself picking out all his faults, whilst everyone else is celebrating his unique contribution.
Dave, I can't offer any useful advice to help you navigate through the dynamic in your church, but maybe you're the guy who missed that tiny section on the skirting board, but everyone else is just happy that the room got decorated. A small annoyance can so easily turn into a fixation & get under your skin. That said, as I can't hear the performance, maybe you're politely understating the issue, & the guy is really ruining the music big time. As I know you to be a kind, considered, & understated man, I'm thinking it's a bit of both.

At some churches it seems the people like that type of showmanship. I'm not saying it's right at all, just what I've experienced.

The church I went to a few years ago had about 3 different drummers on rotation, I played just percussion there. The loudest ,flashiest drummer was the worship leader's go-to guy. He was definitely in his little clique. I had to use ear protection whenever we played together. Everyone complained about how loud he was but evidently the right people didn't complain. The dude was so annoying...

I had to use ear protection whenever we played together. Everyone complained about how loud he was but evidently the right people didn't complain. The dude was so annoying...

I had no idea worship/church music and musicians get up high in volume.

A lot of modern worship music has drumming that is played in a very busy style, and I don't care for most of it. It is "in" to play a lot of notes. To me, it makes the music messy and it sounds lousy to me. True, a lot of people like it and expect it. I almost always simplify the drums when I play it in church, not because I can't play what the original drummers did, but because it just sounds better to me to play a simple rhythm than playing a bunch of tom notes and busy patterns. But to be fair, it is considered to be good drumming by many today in the Christian music scene to overplay. If you search a lot of the top Christian worship songs, the drums are bashed and played busily. So maybe this guy is playing like that? If so, I wouldn't like it, but others might.

I actually just picked up a church gig. The previous drummer left pretty suddenly on bad terms. My first couple of weeks I heard so many comments on how lound the last guy used to play and how much gear he would bring to the gig. I was setting up my 4 piece kit and a walked by and quipped "You mean you can play the drums without a dozen cymbals?"

I have not recieved any compliments on my drumming to date but many people compliment the band. I suppose you blend into the background when you're playing correctly for mellow music. I still feel a bit unsettled that I'm not playing many fills and flexing my chops as I'm still a newer drummer but I know that it would not fit for this gig so I reel it in. I guess that feelin subsides eventually with experience.

Church, unfortunately, is a den of politics. Proceed with caution.

I have not recieved any compliments on my drumming to date but many people compliment the band. I suppose you blend into the background when you're playing correctly for mellow music. I still feel a bit unsettled that I'm not playing many fills and flexing my chops as I'm still a newer drummer but I know that it would not fit for this gig so I reel it in. I guess that feelin subsides eventually with experience.

Red:

This should be the number one rule for every drummer. " blend into the background". Or in other words, blend into the band.

OP, I would suggest that you talk to the Worship Leader/Director. And don't ask if the other guy is bad. Ask what he thinks of the new drummer. Remark that you noticed that you have different styles and that you would like his opinion on what it appropriate for the music. It could very well be that the new drummer is over playing, everyone is getting annoyed with it, and nobody has gotten around to saying anything yet. But, it could be that everyone really does like this style, and your playing (and the worship experience) could benefit from you letting loose a bit more.

I had no idea worship/church music and musicians get up high in volume.

You'd be surprised. I've played in churches where the drums can't be heard to churches where your ears would bleed. Currently, my church plays fairly loud. The sound guys monitor the dbs and keep them around 103-107 dbs depending on the song/style.

It actually a lot like regular music. There are different styles for different tastes, and as much as its contested, I believe its all worship music. At the end of the day its the lyrics, beliefs, and truths that matter. But people gravitate to churches with music they like.

Oh, and Brady, I've been in plenty of loud worship bands that have fantastic dynamics.

Back