Bummer!

Andy

Honorary Member
Playing one of our biggest potential audience gigs so far for my present band in October. 4 bands, 45 minute set each, 6000 audience (based on previous years numbers). It's outdoor on a racecourse, with the audience in the grandstands (just as well really, it's UK October :()

Anyhow, just got the advance stage management & PA details etc, & I'm having to play a 4 piece backline kit. Not a huge issue, but it is a limiting factor for me in this band context. My biggest issue is the kit provided is not great, & with sizes I don't like for use in this band (I won't mention the make of kit, as I don't wish to offend anyone). Thing is, it will take much longer to get our band's keys setup on & off stage compared to how long it takes to walk on my frame kit. Not only that, but they're only providing 3 drums. I have to provide everything else, including stands, so by the time I've set up everything else I need, I could have moved my drums on & off twice over.

I'm not going to upset the calm on this one though, as it's a gig our band has been chasing, & I don't want to be the "difficult" one, but really - I'm not happy. It's always us poor drummers that have to suffer on this front, almost irrespective of the circumstances or practicalities.

Even more perplexing, the guy organising the stage & bands, is a drummer!!!!!

Yup, It's a lack of respect for drummers. But since the stage organizer is a drummer, there must be a diplomatic way you could try to resolve this. The overall quality of the show is the sum of all the parts.

Pretty common actually. Every festival type gig I have ever played I have had to play a backline kit. My recommendation would be to get there early and see if you can tune the kit to your satisfaction. At least then you will have some control over your drum sound.

At least you will get your own cymbals and snare. The last backline I played was provided with XS20's and I was told that I could not substitute my own cymbals due to time constraints. They did give me the option to let everybody use my cymbals, obviously I declined.

Have fun and play well. In the end you will be the only one who knows that you are not playing your own kit.

In all fairness, all guitarists must play supplied Squier guitars through First Act amps. Singer must share karaoke machine. Just sayin' ; )

I guess it depends on where you are in the line-up. If you are last, bring your own stuff and do it your way. If not, well bring your own stuff and play it by ear. With festival type stuff I've generally been lucky with time available before the show.

Pretty common actually. Every festival type gig I have ever played I have had to play a backline kit. My recommendation would be to get there early and see if you can tune the kit to your satisfaction. At least then you will have some control over your drum sound.

At least you will get your own cymbals and snare. The last backline I played was provided with XS20's and I was told that I could not substitute my own cymbals due to time constraints. They did give me the option to let everybody use my cymbals, obviously I declined.

Have fun and play well. In the end you will be the only one who knows that you are not playing your own kit.

What's up with XS20s ??

I use some of those....like um

I am with you, Andy. I absolutely detest having to use a backline kit regardless of how good it is. We take pride in our instruments and fine tune every aspect of them to our exact specifications and then don't get to use them at some of the biggest gigs we play! Of course in your case, it is guaranteed the backline kit is going to inferior to your own. Still, I am sure you will make the best of the situation. Congrats on this big gig!

Andy, Bring your snare and cymbals and do the best you can. I hate playing other drummers drum sets. I feel like i'm driving someone else's car and can't adjust anything. You will do great, no worries mate.

Yup, It's a lack of respect for drummers. But since the stage organizer is a drummer, there must be a diplomatic way you could try to resolve this. The overall quality of the show is the sum of all the parts.
I believe it's pretty much set in stone. A certain manufacturer of fine (my arse) instruments is providing the kit, & equipped with their choice of heads (i.e the sonic opposite of what I use - again, brand/type not mentioned so as not to offend).

The band will know too :( Some of the melodic passages are synced with specific guitar & keys riffs, & built around 4 toms. Not the end of the world, but I play the kit I play with this band for good reason.

In all fairness, all guitarists must play supplied Squier guitars through First Act amps. Singer must share karaoke machine. Just sayin' ; )
If only, if only!

I guess it depends on where you are in the line-up. If you are last, bring your own stuff and do it your way. If not, well bring your own stuff and play it by ear. With festival type stuff I've generally been lucky with time available before the show.
Unfortunately, we're third out of 4, so screwed on wiggle room :(

I am with you, Andy. I absolutely detest having to use a backline kit regardless of how good it is. We take pride in our instruments and fine tune every aspect of them to our exact specifications and then don't get to use them at some of the biggest gigs we play! Of course in your case, it is guaranteed the backline kit is going to inferior to your own. Still, I am sure you will make the best of the situation. Congrats on this big gig!
Cheers :) TBH, I don't have too much of an issue with backline kits in general, so long as the instrument quality/condition is acceptable, & it's a layout I can work with.

Andy, Bring your snare and cymbals and do the best you can. I hate playing other drummers drum sets. I feel like i'm driving someone else's car and can't adjust anything. You will do great, no worries mate.
Cheers Scott, I'm sure I'll do just fine, but this particular setup still pisses me off :(

Riddle me this Batman...If you were able to whisk the backline kit off the stage and replace it with your already set up and adjusted kit...why is that not an option? I mean if you could get the backline kit off and yours on and be ready to go before the guitarists are done tuning....what's the harm? As long as when you are done and the backline kit is back up in less than 2 minutes (easily do-able with help), I don't see an issue except probably micing, but again, that's not that big of an issue with a 4 piece kit. In my mind, you could swap the entire drumset and still be ready before anyone else. I think if you are able to pull that off and not cut into the following bands time, drummers should have that option. As long as it doesn't run over time-wise. I find it MUCH easier to swap sets than to adjust the existing set to my needs. Adjusting a foreign set takes way longer than swapping sets, everyday.

What do drummers who play lefty (such as me) do in this type of situation?

Dont sweat it. Its a huge gig for your band. Its just a kit. They are just drums. Play as you always do and dont get the idea in your head it will make any difference.

Drummers/sound companies need to get together and implement a festival standard round drum riser, say about 10' in diameter with a partition down the middle and the main feature being that it rotates like a lazy susan.

Wireless drum mic's could further expedite change over times.

Two back line drum sets provided with the option of performers humping in their own kit/desired gear and setting up on the backside of the pie while the previous act is performing.

Riddle me this Batman...If you were able to whisk the backline kit off the stage and replace it with your already set up and adjusted kit...why is that not an option? I mean if you could get the backline kit off and yours on and be ready to go before the guitarists are done tuning....what's the harm? As long as when you are done and the backline kit is back up in less than 2 minutes (easily do-able with help), I don't see an issue except probably micing, but again, that's not that big of an issue with a 4 piece kit. In my mind, you could swap the entire drumset and still be ready before anyone else. I think if you are able to pull that off and not cut into the following bands time, drummers should have that option. As long as it doesn't run over time-wise. I find it MUCH easier to swap sets than to adjust the existing set to my needs. Adjusting a foreign set takes way longer than swapping sets, everyday.

I agree with Larry. Most of the time, no one will even think to ask you what you are doing if you don't make their job any harder. Speed and maybe a few bucks thrown the engineers way will usually get you there.

Drummers/sound companies need to get together and implement a festival standard round drum riser, say about 10' in diameter with a partition down the middle and the main feature being that it rotates like a lazy susan.

Wireless drum mic's could further expedite change over times.

Two back line drum sets provided with the option of performers humping in their own kit/desired gear and setting up on the backside of the pie while the previous act is performing.

WHAT a great idea. Seriously great idea. But who is gonna go out of their way to procure a lazy susan type setup for us? TBH, I like the kit swapping idea, it works. You just need another person to help. As long as you have overhead micing, kick and snare, there's no need to fuss with close micing toms. Snare mics and kick mics are easily placed, and nothing much should have to be done with the overheads. But I like the idea a lot.

It seems pretty par for the course.

And I've found, at times, the having to over come the uneasiness of playing an unusual/different kit has pushed me (or the band as a whole), to rise to the occasion and actually play better.

Well, I thought this was a relevant question!

My dominant hand is always in the minority.

I believe it's pretty much set in stone. A certain manufacturer of fine (my arse) instruments is providing the kit, & equipped with their choice of heads (i.e the sonic opposite of what I use - again, brand/type not mentioned so as not to offend).

I'm going to guess Pinstripes (or Hydraulics, or whatever)... A shame, not least because the Guru sound won't be piping out of the stage. I'm sure the gig will go great, though.

Well, I thought this was a relevant question!

My dominant hand is always in the minority.

I am a lefty too and have done this several times. It is no fun at all. When your whole set is 45 minutes, you need to switch things around really fast and then it is your responsibility as the odd man out to put things back together afterwards. Switching the hi-hat stand, snare stand and the floor tom to the other side is easy, but the rack toms, and the cymbal stands are not so. I had to play with the toms and cymbals at weird positions and distances. I am not a happy camper when I have to use a backline kit. My setup is really compact, so I could set mine up faster than adjusting the supplied kit. I think I am going to insist on that from now on!

Playing one of our biggest potential audience gigs so far for my present band in October. 4 bands, 45 minute set each, 6000 audience (based on previous years numbers). It's outdoor on a racecourse, with the audience in the grandstands (just as well really, it's UK October :()

Anyhow, just got the advance stage management & PA details etc, & I'm having to play a 4 piece backline kit. Not a huge issue, but it is a limiting factor for me in this band context. My biggest issue is the kit provided is not great, & with sizes I don't like for use in this band (I won't mention the make of kit, as I don't wish to offend anyone). Thing is, it will take much longer to get our band's keys setup on & off stage compared to how long it takes to walk on my frame kit. Not only that, but they're only providing 3 drums. I have to provide everything else, including stands, so by the time I've set up everything else I need, I could have moved my drums on & off twice over.

I'm not going to upset the calm on this one though, as it's a gig our band has been chasing, & I don't want to be the "difficult" one, but really - I'm not happy. It's always us poor drummers that have to suffer on this front, almost irrespective of the circumstances or practicalities.

Even more perplexing, the guy organising the stage & bands, is a drummer!!!!!

This is where you thank God that you don't have a problem playing a four-piece and a couple of cymbals. I know you like to have everything that you have, but really, you don't need it. You can do all the music you play with one crash/ride and a pair of hats and a few drums - hell, I've done all the music you play with that much gear! So you know you can do it. I'd just get on with it and have fun. Your set should not determine whether or not you're going to have a great gig. But why are we talking about this? You already know that!

I'm willing to bet your keyboard player can get along with one keyboard too. You're playing for 45 minutes - just taylor your set list to one-keyboard songs for this one. Go out and do a great job, and maybe next year when you're a regular booking, you can start to take the reigns of the operation ;)

Back