Tips to make myself appear more professional

Nobartholem

I consider this summer the beginning of my professional career as a musician, be it a part time thing or a full time thing. I got my first 2 paying gigs, (with more to come hopefully) and I'm starting to network with a few people. The ball is rolling, albeit slowly, to get myself on a path where I'll be able to have a band and play some gigs.

What are some things I can do to make myself professional and spread out my name.

1. What sites are good networking sites for young musicians, specifically sites aimed at musicians? I know Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc. I'm talking about specific sites for musicians.

2. Business cards are a must I know. Should I settle for lower quality business cards (and get more) or get nice onces that people will keep, even if they are more expensive?

3. What's a decent amount of rehearsal time for a band. For school our rehearsals are usually 2 or 3 hours long. A few guys I was talking to said they only practice for an hour or so once a week. Is being in rock band less rehearsal intensive? I like three hour rehearsals, personally, but I know most people don't. What's a good length for a non-formal rehearsal?

More questions will come in time, and of course more after that.

Thanks for all your responses.

I'm being slightly pedantic, but I think your thrust is being more professional rather than appearing more professional, certainly relating to practice. There's no reason why rehearsals for a rock act are any less demanding of time & attention than any other genre. A good show is a good show - period.

Business cards - just something that looks good & represents you clearly & fairly. Over embellished can look just as bad (for different reasons) as overtly cheap with little attention to detail.

As for networks, I know nothing of your local scene, but a "Bandmix" profile will do you no harm, & for band contacts, "Join My Band" is pretty good.

1) Arrive early at gigs and rehearsals.
2) Smile and be considerate
3) Be that one guy that always happens to have a screwdriver or an extra extension cable available, other musicians will love you for it.
4) Know your material inside and out

Don't do too make stick flips and such.

Smile and relax, show that you are enjoying what you do best :)

3) Be that one guy that always happens to have a screwdriver or an extra extension cable available, other musicians will love you for it.

^^This probably more than anything else.

Actually, you are in this for networking with others, so just be as nice and as real as you are, and make as many friends as you can. I would almost not recommend getting business cards. Musicians are different from regular business people and usually reputation speaks louder than any promo materials you'd be spending money on.

Something you can learn to develop yourself professionally would be learning how to run live sound. It's not too difficult once you have the basics and bands, etc., always want somebody that can troubleshoot and run a live board. Consider it a 'bonus' but it's always a good skill to learn.

I always arrive a half an hour before call for any gig, be it school or otherwise.
I try :)
That I didn't know, but I can try and do that
That's a given, and I do. I always try and know everyone's part including my own

Don't do too make stick flips and such.

Smile and relax, show that you are enjoying what you do best :)

I don't even know how, in all honesty, haha. I use my practice time for practicing.

Something you can learn to develop yourself professionally would be learning how to run live sound. It's not too difficult once you have the basics and bands, etc., always want somebody that can troubleshoot and run a live board. Consider it a 'bonus' but it's always a good skill to learn.

I don't even know where to start with that. Never had one in front of me before :p

Thanks everyone!

And Keep it Simple, you're pedanticism is welcome. I didn't mean to belittle rock groups as being unprofessional. and thanks for the websites :)

Here's a few important guidelines I try and follow:

First off....be a great friggin drummer. Job #1. They should want to go out of their way to play with you and believe me, they WILL prefer to play with a good drummer. One that is steady and solid, with rock solid time and who LISTENS HARD to the others. Practice to a metronome. A good drummer gets called, period.

Keep your volume in check. You should NOT be the loudest guy on the stage. Having a good sense of appropriate volume will truly be appreciated by your mates, and the audience. Know your dynamics. In my 6 piece band, whenever the piano player solos, I ALWAYS drop my volume, and most times I go to a rim click. If you play behind a flute player, go even quieter. You should be able to hear everyone while playing from where you are sitting.

A can do attitude is a pleasure to be around. This implies no ego. Humble and willing. Attitude is major important. Do NOT drift off into your own world while drumming. You have to remain sharp and aware for visual cues. A drummer inspires confidence in his mates when he can play the drums, and still have enough brainpower left over to communicate with the others, both verbally and non. In other words being aware of the others while you are in the thick of your own playing. Some guys use the whole of their brainpower on their drums. As a result, it is frustrating to the others when they need to communicate with the drummer.

Listen a lot more than you talk. Be good at going with the flow and thinking on your feet. Learn to read the others minds musically and anticipate what they want/need. Their body language is a great indicator.

Look at your soloists (and listen) when they are soloing and try to anticipate their spaces. Hopefully you have the ability to turn on a dime if they cue you. Like out of the blue, they may want to drop down and play real quiet at the start of a progression. You don't want to miss that boat.

Eye contact, good non verbal communication. Truly be a supportive presence. That's your job. When my guitarist is fumbling around behind his amp, I whip out my little flashlight and shine it where he needs it. Things like that go a long way. If my bass player is clearly stressed and sweating about something, I will point my fan at him.

A drummer needs to be a lot of things that the others don't necessarily have to do. Know the role of a drummer. I've seen too many drummers who approach it like a lead instrument. Drums are not a lead instrument. Know your role.

Things like being early and being prepared are a given. Have reliable transportation and great sounding gear.

Here's a few important guidelines I try and follow:

First off....be a great friggin drummer. Job #1. They should want to go out of their way to play with you and believe me, they WILL prefer to play with a good drummer. One that is steady and solid, with rock solid time and who LISTENS HARD to the others. Practice to a metronome. A good drummer gets called, period.

Keep your volume in check. You should NOT be the loudest guy on the stage. Having a good sense of appropriate volume will truly be appreciated by your mates, and the audience. Know your dynamics. In my 6 piece band, whenever the piano player solos, I ALWAYS drop my volume, and most times I go to a rim click. If you play behind a flute player, go even quieter. You should be able to hear everyone while playing from where you are sitting.

A can do attitude is a pleasure to be around. This implies no ego. Humble and willing. Attitude is major important. Do NOT drift off into your own world while drumming. You have to remain sharp and aware for visual cues. A drummer inspires confidence in his mates when he can play the drums, and still have enough brainpower left over to communicate with the others, both verbally and non. In other words being aware of the others while you are in the thick of your own playing. Some guys use the whole of their brainpower on their drums. As a result, it is frustrating to the others when they need to communicate with the drummer.

Listen a lot more than you talk. Be good at going with the flow and thinking on your feet. Learn to read the others minds musically and anticipate what they want/need. Their body language is a great indicator.

Look at your soloists (and listen) when they are soloing and try to anticipate their spaces. Hopefully you have the ability to turn on a dime if they cue you. Like out of the blue, they may want to drop down and play real quiet at the start of a progression. You don't want to miss that boat.

Eye contact, good non verbal communication. Truly be a supportive presence. That's your job. When my guitarist is fumbling around behind his amp, I whip out my little flashlight and shine it where he needs it. Things like that go a long way. If my bass player is clearly stressed and sweating about something, I will point my fan at him.

A drummer needs to be a lot of things that the others don't necessarily have to do. Know the role of a drummer. I've seen too many drummers who approach it like a lead instrument. Drums are not a lead instrument. Know your role.

Things like being early and being prepared are a given. Have reliable transportation and great sounding gear.

I totally understand I'm not a lead instrument :p
I've done a lot of musicals and performances with (usually unmicced) groups of singers who miss cues, speed up dialogue, or what have you. I'm good at transitions, and listening. Watching needs some work, but if I don't have music to bury myself in then I'm fine. I've done Jazz work with soloists so I get the solo vibe where you want to be quiet. Want to hear them, not drums.

I do my best to be as personable and welcoming as possible. I get that a group is a group: something bigger than it's individual members. Especially in a 60 person marching band, haha.

I'll only get better the more I play, and I can never get too much practice at the non-playing skills such as watching, listening, etc. I've got a good grasp of them, though.

Thanks for your response!

Larry covered everything I had to offer, but there is one more thing:

NO NOODLING!!

At rehearsals (and especially at gigs, though that should go without saying), no tippity tapping, noodling, random rolls between songs or takes. Especially if there is a discussion about the arrangement, if any musician is tuning up, etc. etc.

( Guitarists are usually the worst for this (!), but drummers can be more irritating if they do it too!)

Good luck on your gig. (how is your volume control coming along?)

Cheers,
radman

1. What sites are good networking sites for young musicians, specifically sites aimed at musicians? I know Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc. I'm talking about specific sites for musicians.
You already listed them.
Most of music industry uses what it popular. There are no secret sites.
If you couldn't think of what other site to be on, that means 99% of the people who might hire you don't know them either.

The key is to keep your social interactions updated regularly (i.e. no letting it sit for weeks) so that when someone does look, you appear to be happening.

There is Musicians Contact Service, which is a pay site, and most of the listings on there are way more serious since people have to pay to be on it. But 99% of the listings tend to be Los Angeles or New York, so it might not be worth it you.

2. Business cards are a must I know. Should I settle for lower quality business cards (and get more) or get nice onces that people will keep, even if they are more expensive?

Giving 99% of business cards end up at the bottom of a drawer or in the trash, I'd not spend a ton on them.

3. What's a decent amount of rehearsal time for a band. For school our rehearsals are usually 2 or 3 hours long. A few guys I was talking to said they only practice for an hour or so once a week. Is being in rock band less rehearsal intensive? I like three hour rehearsals, personally, but I know most people don't. What's a good length for a non-formal rehearsal?

Depends on the musicians and the band, and the music.

But in my observation, too many rock bands don't rehearse enough. When I was in an original rock band, we rehearsed 2-3 hours, 3 times a week. Sometimes a 4th night. And we blew bands off the stage left and right because we just sounded more together than all the other bands who only rehearsed once a week.

On the other hand, top pros and/or people who have a ton of experience and are actively playing a lot can get away with little to no rehearsal because they're already that good.
------------------------------------------

Overall is being a good person who is easy to get a long with.
People tent to hire and recommend their friends first. Social skills are as important as drumming skills for most of those who actually make a living at playing drums.

You already listed them.
Most of music industry uses what it popular. There are no secret sites.
If you couldn't think of what other site to be on, that means 99% of the people who might hire you don't know them either.

The key is to keep your social interactions updated regularly (i.e. no letting it sit for weeks) so that when someone does look, you appear to be happening.

There is Musicians Contact Service, which is a pay site, and most of the listings on there are way more serious since people have to pay to be on it. But 99% of the listings tend to be Los Angeles or New York, so it might not be worth it you.

That's incredibly true. Should I make a Page for myself on Facebook and Twitter to market myself out there?

Giving 99% of business cards end up at the bottom of a drawer or in the trash, I'd not spend a ton on them.

That's true, but it's not like I wouldn't pop into someone's head if they needed a drummer and couldn't think of anyone. It helps to get your name around.

Depends on the musicians and the band, and the music.

But in my observation, too many rock bands don't rehearse enough. When I was in an original rock band, we rehearsed 2-3 hours, 3 times a week. Sometimes a 4th night. And we blew bands off the stage left and right because we just sounded more together than all the other bands who only rehearsed once a week.

On the other hand, top pros and/or people who have a ton of experience and are actively playing a lot can get away with little to no rehearsal because they're already that good.
------------------------------------------

I'm not already that good, so i need to rehearse, haha. The more the better for me. I'm good with 6 hours of rehearsal a week because like you said, it makes a huge difference. If you practice 3 times more than any other band then you're going to sound 3 times as good.

Overall is being a good person who is easy to get a long with.
People tent to hire and recommend their friends first. Social skills are as important as drumming skills for most of those who actually make a living at playing drums.

I've heard this from a lot of people, and I'm really going out of my way to try and be more social around musicians, because I'm not a social butterfly. I have to make a conscious effort, but I think i make a pretty good one.

Thanks for your comment! :)

My responses to each individual part are in bold in the quote.

Thanks everyone! I really want to get off the ground, and I appreciate all your help, because I'm pretty lost.

Although that train left the station a long time ago for me, I think if I were embarking on a drumming career now I'd probably start by making a YouTube channel just to showcase myself playing as many different styles as I could, maybe a few covers. YouTube is actually the 2nd largest search tool, followed by Facebook. I use YouTube to advertise for my business, and I can tell you that it works.

Although that train left the station a long time ago for me, I think if I were embarking on a drumming career now I'd probably start by making a YouTube channel just to showcase myself playing as many different styles as I could, maybe a few covers. YouTube is actually the 2nd largest search tool, followed by Facebook. I use YouTube to advertise for my business, and I can tell you that it works.

So I should invest in a set of mics and some software? It's something I really want to do, actually. It's fun to play along with my favorite songs, and all of the drummers that I know of I was originally introduced to through Youtube.

Join the Drummerworld forum

How do I do that...hmmmmm ;D

So I should invest in a set of mics and some software? It's something I really want to do, actually. It's fun to play along with my favorite songs, and all of the drummers that I know of I was originally introduced to through Youtube.

And a lot of the drummers that I've been turned on to the last few years have been through YouTube. It's the perfect tool to promote and advertise yourself. How much you want to invest in mics and cams is up to you, but I don't think you'll need thousands of dollars to be able to get your point across.

And a lot of the drummers that I've been turned on to the last few years have been through YouTube. It's the perfect tool to promote and advertise yourself. How much you want to invest in mics and cams is up to you, but I don't think you'll need thousands of dollars to be able to get your point across.

I don't know, man. I've been doing these videos for a while now and nobody's calling me, either ;)

Perhaps you should take the professional route and have experienced people make the video. I'm doing the home-grown route and it definitely does not compare to more professional uploads. Do some research on what it takes to do HD quality videos and oyu may re-consider.

Larry covered everything I had to offer, but there is one more thing:

NO NOODLING!!

At rehearsals (and especially at gigs, though that should go without saying), no tippity tapping, noodling, random rolls between songs or takes. Especially if there is a discussion about the arrangement, if any musician is tuning up, etc. etc.

( Guitarists are usually the worst for this (!), but drummers can be more irritating if they do it too!)

Good luck on your gig. (how is your volume control coming along?)

Cheers,
radman

ARGHHH....GUITARISTS....

My best friend is our guitarist...he does this all the time...me and the other two lads will be discussing something and off he goes...and we all just look to the sky and often say "end of that conversation"

ARGHHHHHHH

:)

The best networking site is not a site, but going out and meeting people. Facebook is a good reminder to people that you exist, but you have to meet them in person first. That means going to where they are playing, and going to jam sessions, if any.

It doesn't matter. It's more fun to hand somebody something interesting, but ultimately they just want the information on it.

Otherwise:
  • Get there early, and be ready to hit at the appointed time.
  • Carry brushes, a music stand, and a pencil.
  • Turn your snares off when you're not playing, or are away from the drums.
  • Keep up your personal appearance.
  • Be easy to hang with.
  • Have control over your dynamics.
  • Be ready to play the types of gigs you are trying to get called for, or that you are likely to get called for.
  • Be able to separate playing the job from personal expression when necessary.
  • Keep a positive attitude no matter what everyone else is doing.

I don't know, man. I've been doing these videos for a while now and nobody's calling me, either ;)

Perhaps you should take the professional route and have experienced people make the video. I'm doing the home-grown route and it definitely does not compare to more professional uploads. Do some research on what it takes to do HD quality videos and oyu may re-consider.

Bo, your videos look great....................BTW, you are one of the lucky few who gets to drum for a living...........................from what I've seen, you do an excellent job of it.

Still not sold on the 17" hats though

Back