Pearl Reference Series Review - does anyone think this is real?

I have nothing against Joey. They both require top the line stuff though. I actually admired his working to get nice drums, but if you aren't recording professionally, why spend $5000 on a set? Get something cheaper, and use the rest to get lessons from a good teacher, and then you can put up videos and people think you are good. The quality of drums don't determine your playing.

I know, but he's back on the forum and I don't want to offend him. But I totally agree with you.

He should probably make a tutorial on how to set up a drum kit and a video explaining how a rack system is cheaper. Sounds like parents have to much money to me unless this is an adult with a kids voice.

If he comes on and is offended, I will apologize for mentioning him. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I don't even say he was at the level of this guy on the video. I'm sure he knows more and would probably out play him. Its just the attitude of everything you could want on a drumset, like right now. Drummingis a process, and for most people, so is getting a nice set. I guess if people can afford it its their money...

If he comes on and is offended, I will apologize for mentioning him. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I don't even say he was at the level of this guy on the video. I'm sure he knows more and would probably out play him. Its just the attitude of everything you could want on a drumset, like right now. Drummingis a process, and for most people, so is getting a nice set. I guess if people can afford it its their money...

Buy once, cry once; buy nice or buy twice...

Yeah, and whats the point of splurging on a drumset you can't even tune. I get that he may want a nice set, and I do to, but to me actually being able to play and tune a drumset is much more important than that.

Dear god, that snare sounds like an elephant being slapped against a wooden wall.
If John Good sees his kit in that video he will leave the drummaking biz!

Last edited:
I actually admired his working to get nice drums, but if you aren't recording professionally, why spend $5000 on a set? Get something cheaper......

He scored a 4 piece PEARL REFERENCE kit for $1,400, nothing wrong with that.

You'd be surprised how some really renowned, great players tune their drum kit(s).

Watching the video was like watching the Beavis and Butthead Movie. Maybe, if you could take this guy's dialogue, and then hire an animator............

I actually admired his working to get nice drums, but if you aren't recording professionally, why spend $5000 on a set? Get something cheaper......

He scored a 4 piece PEARL REFERENCE kit for $1,400, nothing wrong with that.

You'd be surprised how some really renowned, great players tune their drum kit(s).

I was actually referring to another member who bought an expensive custom set a while back. Yes the guy in the video got a good deal on the set, but then spent a lot more getting extra toms. Did you hear the 18" floor Tom though? It sounded awful. He kept talking about how awesome the 16" was and never said anything about the 18". Maybe it would sound better if he tuned it at all...

Well, the kid is happy with his kit, and that's what's important. But I'm wondering how I can get my 2.5 minutes back. I couldn't make the whole 12, sorry.

"18x10 floor tom". He's awesome! I love him to death! Come to think of it, I think ALL of his toms were 10" deep!

I'm curious how the heads got worn like that. I couldn't get through the entire video so I'm not sure if he got them used, but they look like they've been played by an actual drummer for some period of time. More confusing is that said drummer should have sold them in some reasonable state of tune which this kid shouldn't have messed up this badly.

You are right Aeolian, I smell a set up.
I keep on waiting for the hoax to be shown to us.

Just checking back in, glad you all were as shocked, stunned, entertained, amused, and confused as I was.

It was uploaded in October 2010 to YT so you'd think by now if it was a hoax it would of been revealed.

Speechless.

he sort of sounds like Lars.. he must be a child in a split family.. they are buying his happiness

Back