Fat Drummers Unite!

SticksEasy

I'm sure I'm not the only dude on these forums with a big appetite and a slow metabolism. I stand at 6'2", and most people expect me to sit down behind my kit and just beat the snot out of everything. Everybody is usually taken back when I sit down and play with a nice wristy technique with very little finger technique.

It's true, you can name hundreds of super-skilled drummers who are probably closer to under-weight than they are over, but I can think of a few of my favorite big drummers who are a big inspiration to me, and are able to execute just as much technique and feel in their playing as the smaller guys, proving that there is NOTHING wrong with big dudes playing drums.

Jean-Paul Gaster
Bobby Schayer
Aaron Spears

I'm sure I'm not the only dude on these forums with a big appetite and a slow metabolism. I stand at 6'2", and most people expect me to sit down behind my kit and just beat the snot out of everything. Everybody is usually taken back when I sit down and play with a nice wristy technique with very little finger technique.

It's true, you can name hundreds of super-skilled drummers who are probably closer to under-weight than they are over, but I can think of a few of my favorite big drummers who are a big inspiration to me, and are able to execute just as much technique and feel in their playing as the smaller guys, proving that there is NOTHING wrong with big dudes playing drums.

Jean-Paul Gaster
Bobby Schayer
Aaron Spears

Was there some moratorium I missed about big people not being considered as players? Larry London was big, and does anyone remember Tiny Khan? Both big players. I know I'm missing alot of them, but they're out there. There is proof.

I am a fat drummer. What am I supposed to do? Not play drums? Hey, if you can play, then play. Maybe I should sit at home and wallow in self-pity and shame because I have a belly. If people have a problem with it, then they can find another drummer.

I'm with ya brothers. The biggest reason for a 24" bass drum, I'm 6'3" and around 290-300. Try finding a throne thats low enough and can hold and still be comfortable! Luckily though I'm a pounder!
And loving it!!!!

I am 6'3" 240lbs. So a little fat (that's what I tell my wife anyway) and I am working my way down from bashing......

I am like 60 lbs overweight if you ask my doctor. Last time was that weight was 5th grade so I am not sure who makes those scales. Any doctors here?

I don't think it really matters, speaking from my own experience, I am 6' and was 250 and started a gym/eating right program and got down to 187 which for me was extremely thin, I have gotten abit lazy lately and am back up to 225. As for a difference in my playing I still suck just as bad at 250 as I did at 187.

What is funny is a while back I saw a post on craigslist selling drums. It said drumming is great excersice and then said for proof look to see if there are any overweight drummers. That person must not have been intelligent. I have found that size means nothing and some of the fattest drummers I have seen were crazy good drummers, and they were fast too. I weigh in at about 155 (maybe a little more) I am short though, only like 5'8''.

I've seen some pretty big drummers in my area absolutely shred. I'm not a really 'fat' dude - I weight 305 pounds, but I'm also 6'2". So I guess I'd consider myself 'chunky' or maybe even flabby? Perhaps? I don't get my weight from sitting around eating sweets. I consume tons of protein, fruit, I eat a lot, but I try to eat really healthy. I don't consume a lot of bad foods - just too much good food.

It just always makes me feel insulted when someone approaches me, and compliments my chops. One guy even went so far as to say "Man... I didn't think fat dudes could play like that." It's not that I'm insulted because of my size. If I didn't like my size, I would slim down. I'm just offended because some people are ignorant enough to think that big guys can't be good drummers.

I'd love to start a forum, or a message community targeted at fat drummers.

Although he's not fat anymore, Keith Carlock has always been a real shredder and his technique is great; very loose.

I fit into the fluffy category. Again too much of everything. I have gotten a health coach in the last 4 months and have lost 15 pounds. For me it was portion size first and then realizing that this has to be a lifestyle change and not a diet. I have my slips but have been doing well. For numbers sake, I am 5'8" and weigh 277, down for 292. Breathing is easier, and so is facing people. BMI, Body Mass index, is the thing to look at. Google BMI if you are concerned and put in the appropriate numbers and the math will be done for you. You may be surprised.

I think there needs to be a support group for all these thrones that are being crushed and possibly farted/sharted on.

I am a fat drummer. What am I supposed to do? Not play drums? Hey, if you can play, then play. Maybe I should sit at home and wallow in self-pity and shame because I have a belly. If people have a problem with it, then they can find another drummer.

Yeah!!! too right... they can call Abe Laboriel jr if they're not happy with you Bon :)

I think there needs to be a support group for all these thrones that are being crushed and possibly farted/sharted on.

I bought a DW 9100 throne in 2000. One of the legs broke in 2006, don't worry I wasn't sitting on it. It was from use. I bought a Gibraltar base for it that I still use, 6 years later. The original seat top I still have, almost 13 years old. (a teenager!). As good as the day I bought it.

No crushing, no sharting. I have let a fart or two slip over the years but it was in private. And, the DW 9100 throne is the best throne ever.

I'm not going to call him fat 'cause he's a good bud, but he's still a large man. Bryant Mills playing with some local folks. And this is after he lost 70-80 lbs because of needing heart surgery (not caused by weight, bad valves). He never had any trouble with chops or dynamics at any weight. But because of his groove we all call him Heavy B.

http://youtu.be/8p61Re6SsRw

He is happy with the reduced weight though. Feeling better and cleaner.

hahaha lol. Dont think this is just the big'uns. You should see what my 8 yr old can do on his throne... I moved it with rubber gloves the other day- scary.

Back