PDA

View Full Version : Best Period of Yamaha Recording Customs?

Billy Boy
10-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Hi everyone!

I am a new member of this site. Nice to be on board!

Question regarding Recording Customs. I've read that the pre-YESS/ Early YESS period (80's-mid 90's) was the hayday for YRC's and yamaha drums in general. I heard that in the late 90's the shell's were of a poorer quality. I am just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this. Also, does anyone know when the YESS mounts were introduced? I am currently looking into a 1996 12/14/18 cherrywood YRC kit that has the yess mounts and am wondering is this is before or after they "changed".

Thanks!

scorch whammin
10-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Hi everyone!

I am a new member of this site. Nice to be on board!

Question regarding Recording Customs. I've read that the pre-YESS/ Early YESS period (80's-mid 90's) was the hayday for YRC's and yamaha drums in general. I heard that in the late 90's the shell's were of a poorer quality. I am just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this. Also, does anyone know when the YESS mounts were introduced? I am currently looking into a 1996 12/14/18 cherrywood YRC kit that has the yess mounts and am wondering is this is before or after they "changed".

Thanks!

As far as heyday goes, Yamaha's were probably the most widely used drums in the 80's...but that doesn't mean that somehow their quality has gotten worse since then (it hasn't)..it just means there's alot more drum manufacturer's (competition/choice) nowadays...I've never heard that yamaha's drum shell were of a poorer quality in the 90's..the same company (Sakae) have been making their high end drums (made in Japan) since 1967..Sakae is really synonymous with Yamaha...they are a small manufacturer of drums (employ 40-60 people) and are truly custom/handmade drums...the YESS mounts were introduced in 93-94 timeframe...if the 96 model kit is in good shape and fairly priced, I would certainly consider it...if not consider new..RC's are as good a birch kit as you can find...as far as your "best period" comment, I personally believe it's now..I've got two acoustic yamaha's, a birch custom absolute and a maple custom absolute nouveau..I've owned many brands through the years..my Yamaha's are by far the nicest kits I've ever owned...just my 2 cents...

Les Ismore
10-06-2011, 07:42 AM
YAMAHA is probably 'the most consistent' drum manufacture over the decades when it comes to quality/workmanship.

harryconway
10-06-2011, 08:21 AM
My info shows 93 as the introduction of YESS. I've owned 2 Recording Custom kits, over the years ... excellent drums. If you want a birch shell, this is the way to go ... my opinion, of course. The Yamaha RC's are the "oldest" series of drums out there. 35+ years, and still strong. As far as "change" in quality ... I never heard of such a thing ... my kit, 22, 12, 14 ... is my "beater" kit ... my gigging drums ... though I'm not afraid to take any of my kits out ... someday, I'll find a matching 16" floor. And oh ... welcome to Drummerworld ...

BGH
10-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I've been playing RC's since 1982. All of them are great, but there have been a few differences over the years. The very early 80's drums had thinner shells and a more rounded bearing edge. On those, the edges weren't natural in color like they are now. The edges were stained the same stain as the rest of the interior shell. Those are considered the most highly sought after RC's, but you probably won't find any of those. Yamaha didn't make them that way for long. The current bearing edge and uniform shell thickness was introduced around 1986. The only other difference since then, is the YESS mount, as has been discussed.

As far as personal preferences, some believe that birch shells 'age' and take on a better tone over the years. That could be why you hear the the older drums are better. Any RC's from 1986 to present would have the same shells, so no design difference. As far as the mounts, this has been debated in varoius threads on this forum. Personally, I don't like the YESS mounts. I'd rather have the shell mounts or add RIMS mounts instead of YESS. I currently have 2 RC kits. One late 80's is pre-YESS and the other 90's had YESS. I removed the mounts on that kit and installed RIMS. I will say that the 80's kit has the sweetest sounding toms of any kit I own, Yamaha or otherwise. Here is that kit:

MusiQmaN
10-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Im a big fan of the pre-Yess RC's.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/168418_1816719777365_1221222716_2171889_5254552_n. jpg

Just the best RC sound imo.

But the quality never changed so far I know.

dmacc
10-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I purchased my 6 piece RC set around 1985 and will never, ever part with them. For the moment, since I got my Sonor Jungle, they are taking a long deserved rest in their bags after being the kit I played 99% of the time since I purchased them.

The only other set I could love as much would be a Gretsch USA Custom set which I hope to get in the near future.

Billy Boy
10-06-2011, 05:37 PM
with the yess mounting system, are there no holes drilled into the shell a la RIMS mounts? thanks for your responses everyone! and what beautiful kits you have! :)

Billy Boy
10-06-2011, 06:01 PM
also, this person who is selling this drumset i am interested in (1996 rc's cherrywood 12x8, 14x14, 18x14) is asking $1250. do you think this is a good deal?

scorch whammin
10-06-2011, 07:10 PM
with the yess mounting system, are there no holes drilled into the shell a la RIMS mounts? thanks for your responses everyone! and what beautiful kits you have! :)

It depends on which YESS system you're talking about...YESS I has two holes drilled in shells (at nodal point of shell)...YESS II has four holes (I believe) drilled in shell (at nodal point of shell)...

harryconway
10-06-2011, 07:24 PM
A little on the high side ... but sellers like to ask "more" than what they'll really "take" ... soI'd start by waving 10 Franklins in front of him ... and see how hungry he is ... He might bite, he might balk. Throw down "another Ben", if his first response was no. Paying $1K, or $1100, is better than handing the cat $1250 (for you) ....

RickP
10-06-2011, 07:54 PM
I owned a Pre-YESS Cherrywood lacquer kit 22/10/12/14 and a recent YESS Apple Sparkle fade lacquer kit 20/12/15 with alumnim diecast hoops that I purchased off an Endorser and they both were excellent quality drumsets.If I had to choose between the two sets, I would choose the Pre-YESS Cherrywood lacquer kit.

ambientgreg
10-06-2011, 08:08 PM
also, this person who is selling this drumset i am interested in (1996 rc's cherrywood 12x8, 14x14, 18x14) is asking $1250. do you think this is a good deal?

I'm seeing RC kits with more pieces go for that much on Guitar Center's website under "used
gear" and also on the Music Go Round site. But if that kit has THE sizes you want, see if He'll take 8 or 900 first....your call but I'd definitely not just give him 1250 for 3 drums right away. Not in this market. I also play RC's, and pre-yess and yess do sound and feel a little different ,but both have that sweet sound and class to them.

leo2633
11-14-2011, 12:23 PM
It depends on which YESS system you're talking about...YESS I has two holes drilled in shells (at nodal point of shell)...YESS II has four holes (I believe) drilled in shell (at nodal point of shell)...

I thought I'd add my two cents to this discussion of my favorite line of drums, the Yamaha Recording Customs.

The RCs do not use the YESS II system. They still use the original YESS system. The YESS II system is used on the Maple/Birch Custom Absolute lines. The actual tom mount is bolted to a chromed metal plate that extends nearly the entire length of the shell, and attaches to the shell with three bolts (two on top and one on bottom). It is similar to the mounting plate used on the PHX drums, except that the PHX uses a wooden plate.

I own pre-YESS and YESS system RCs, and have owned several more over the years. I find both types to have a beautiful sound, though there is a slight difference between the two. I've never heard a RC I didn't like, including a "pre-RC", late '70s 9000 kit I still own. Yamaha definitely does birch right!

Len

ROCKDRUMMERZERO
11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
I cannot add much more information than has already been posted, I also own a few RC's, and can confirm the black bearing edge models are thinner shell, the drums actually weigh a good 30% less than later models of the same dimension, and are super resonant. They have the serial numbers prefixed by 'RA' - I have seen many single drums for sale over the years, and given the limited choise of colours, it would be possible to peice a kit together from single purchases.

YESS does make a difference and sustain is longer ( if that is what you want ) but all RC's are Good, quality is as good as the best of anything available, including DW/SONOR etc, in fact I have sold my DW's because the RC's in my opinion were far better made than Collectors series DW's, this is just my opinion.

Click the link to see mine

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=900414&postcount=973

BGH
11-15-2011, 03:26 AM
I cannot add much more information than has already been posted, I also own a few RC's, and can confirm the black bearing edge models are thinner shell, the drums actually weigh a good 30% less than later models of the same dimension, and are super resonant. They have the serial numbers prefixed by 'RA' - I have seen many single drums for sale over the years, and given the limited choise of colours, it would be possible to peice a kit together from single purchases.

YESS does make a difference and sustain is longer ( if that is what you want ) but all RC's are Good, quality is as good as the best of anything available, including DW/SONOR etc, in fact I have sold my DW's because the RC's in my opinion were far better made than Collectors series DW's, this is just my opinion.

Click the link to see mine

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=900414&postcount=973

Nice collection. Can't go wrong with RC's. I agree that they are some of the finest shells made.

avd88
11-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Hey Billy Boy, if you are still interested in a RC I'm looking to sell mine at the moment.
22x16, 14x12, 12x10, 10x9, newer model, with the YESS system.

Doctor Dirt
11-15-2011, 11:28 PM
The best all around work horse kit made. They certainly do "season" as the years go on as most drums do but the YRC seemed to be more noticeable. If you'd like to know more about them by owning them go to ebay and buy mine their there in piano black lacquer with the "Tight Squeeze" logo on the kick head hahahaha!!! 14x14/9x10/16x22
The deal with the 14x18 kick is a sweet one those 18" are one of the few that you can use at any gig, they kick butt!!! Doc

BGH
11-16-2011, 02:56 AM
Now that I'm thinking about it, there was a period of time that Yamaha was making drums in England, including some RC's. I actually have one of these RC's that I picked-up used. It's not the same quality as those made in Japan. But, those clearly say 'MADE IN ENGLAND' On the badge. As long as the badges say 'MADE IN JAPAN' (which is the vast majority of them, they should be the same quality. Maybe those are what the OP heard about, as far as some being inferior quality. As far as I know, the Yamaha Japan shells are actually made by Sakae Drums. Sakae is now selling drums under their own name, also: http://www.sakaedrums.com/english/index.html

MusiQmaN
11-17-2011, 11:12 AM
The ''Made In England'' drums aren't inferior to the Japan models.

They where made by the same machines and by people (Premier) trained in the craft by the Osaka factory.

Only difference is that they used a red-ish oil instead of the black counterpart found on the Osaka made models and the badge witch states that it is made in England.

Artstar
11-17-2011, 01:09 PM
The ''Made In England'' drums aren't inferior to the Japan models.

They where made by the same machines and by people (Premier) trained in the craft by the Osaka factory.

Only difference is that they used a red-ish oil instead of the black counterpart found on the Osaka made models and the badge witch states that it is made in England.

Good point..... Personally, If I had to choose between my Japan RC's and my English Genista's, I would take the Genista shell. Just as rock solid, but finnish birch and it is like a slightly thinner RC shell, but UNDERSIZED.. which is just all around better dynamics IMO.

Regarding period's of the Yamaha's. Odd man out.. I choose the eariler incarnation with Split lug, made in Taiwan. I LOVED those drums ! Quality was unsurpassed, even holds today IMO.

leo2633
11-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Good point..... Personally, If I had to choose between my Japan RC's and my English Genista's, I would take the Genista shell. Just as rock solid, but finnish birch and it is like a slightly thinner RC shell, but UNDERSIZED.. which is just all around better dynamics IMO.

Regarding period's of the Yamaha's. Odd man out.. I choose the eariler incarnation with Split lug, made in Taiwan. I LOVED those drums ! Quality was unsurpassed, even holds today IMO.

I have a 3 piece set of those exact drums. Late '70s in "Real Wood" finish. Great condition with only some cosmetic bumps and bruises. 13x9, 16x16 and 22x14. They're kept at a rehearsal space where they're played regularly, and they still sound great to this day.

Len

Doctor Dirt
11-17-2011, 06:52 PM
For me theres two companies and two models that out perform any other Birch offerings.
Yamaha Recording Customs don't need any praising because they've earned the respect they get regardless which incarnation you like the best. I played them when they first came out and I'm selling some drums that I bought new and have nothing but the highest regards to them.
The other Birch Best is the Finetone model from Eames Handcrafted Drums! This little company makes their own shells "in house" and are probably the only American drum company that does make their own. Joe Mac is a craftsmans craftsman, he is the best drum shell builder in the States. Get a 14x14 Eames 6ply and put anything next to it and the deal is done in a few seconds. They are outstanding and if I can get Joe to build a 4 ply with rerings he'd have no more vacations ever!!!!! The point I'm making is that I've been around for a while now and I want to hear the best and play them too, and I have. Doc

leo2633
11-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi Doc,

I saw your set on eBay. Very nice. I have them in black, as well. I'm currently selling a four piece set in Deep Aqua finish on eBay. Great drums...of course...but trying to make some room by moving some sets I don't play often enough.

Len

BGH
12-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Here's my other RC kit. This one is 8x8, 9x10, 10x12, 16x16 and 16x22. As a matter of fact, I pieced this one together from various eBay purchases. To the point of this thread, there are 3 1980's drums, 1 1990's and 1 2010 drum shown. They sound great together; the age doesn't really impact the unity of the kit. Shown with a Ludwig Supra I got off CL for $100 :)

Doctor Dirt
12-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Mt gear sold fairly fast and other than ups breaking a kick hoop everyone was happy. I do like the current hardware better than the pre yess its pretty solid and easy to deal with. I happen to like Yamahas design in comparison to the Tama, Premier, Ludwig etc bass drum mount/tom arms set ups. Leo2633 I saw your kit and that finish is very classy looking, the blacl kits look great on a band stand but they show every spec of crap that can come off a ceiling, I HATE cleaning drums!! If a 14x18 pops up on ebay I'll take a strong look, that with a 9x10//14x14 would really interest me. The old Signias I just got are surprising me, they kick very hard and the sustain is fantastic. Even though the 16x20 sounds great a 14x18 thin shell maple or birch has such a great focus and with a full reso head you'll get that sustain. What the young guys here don't appreciate yet is capturing a focussed sustain and being able to control the kick drum sound more precisely using a 18"! To many are only volumn conscience yet they use muffling devices like rings and blue goop. Drums are an acoustic instrument and dampening them just means you bought the wrong kit. The reason to own a few different kits is to have "options" to be able to bring the right instruments to specific venues. The YRC are certainly in that mix because they can cover so many genres. Great drums and that companies been performing very well for a long time. Nothing wrong with their grand pianos either. Doc

leo2633
12-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Doc,

I sold that Deep Aqua kit to a really nice fellow drummer from Maryland. I was lucky in not having to deal with UPS this time around. My buyer made the trip to NJ and picked them up in person.

I've dealt with cracked BD hoops, courtesy of UPS, on three separate occasions. Wooden hoops are very vulnerable when hanging over the edge when mounted on the drum. Even when well packed, all it takes is one good drop in transit to crack the hoop. A real bummer, especially when it happens to a drum in a discontinued finish. Whenever I ship a bass drum, I always remove the hoops and heads. I place some really thin foam down over the bearing edge, covering a few inches along the exterior of the shell, then put the hoops down over the foam, below the edge of the shell. They're well protected there, and the foam keeps the shell and hoop from getting scratched.,

Unfortunately, black drums, like black cars, look great when freshly cleaned and polished, and never quite as good after that. That's why I'll never own a black car again!. That being said, my main gigging kit is an early '80s RC in black. Even though it has its share of road wear, it's still in great overall condition. I keep a small "Swiffer" duster in my trap case and give them a quick dusting every few gigs.

I like a full, unported resonant head on most of my bass drums. I prefer Remo Powerstroke 3s, front and rear, and no internal muffling for most work. I play a lot of big band music, and I need resonance from the front head for that drum to carry to kick the band. The PS3 gives me just enough muffling that I no longer use a felt strip, like I we used to do. My favorite size is the classic 22x14, but I also own RCs in 22x16 and 20x14.

Len

Doctor Dirt
12-05-2011, 06:30 PM
I've had good luck with ups for years but the last two times there were problems. I shipped the kick exactly like Yamaha does in the factory box too. The hoop is loose on the top of the shell, all rods and claws are bagged. Both heads on the bottom of the box and I shipped the bass drum hardware only, the two tom arms went in the seperate tom boxes. People have less pride in what they do these days and a fragile sticker on a box means throw it and kick it, not much soul in our society now.
I always liked the smaller cans because I was micing drums up in the 60s so after using the big cans on big stages in the mid sixties it was nice to go down in sizes. Their easier to tune, the center of the drum is physically easier to get to if your not long armed. I like 10 or 12 alone or a 10 12 on top. I prefer a 9 deep over an 8 but its minor in comparison to other choices. Never liked a 16 on the floor and haven't used one since the mid sixties, love a 14x14. As for kick heads I switched from PS 3 to Aq. SK 1 after giving them a try when they first came out. They give more bottom and offer a little more tuning than the PS 3, not that you can actually tune one of those heads but I think that technology is the most improved over the last 50 years. I ported for 40 years because I used an internal mic set up and your gonna have some sound problems screwing around with an internal system in a closed drum (I tried it at first) hahaha!!! I'm using a full reso on my Signia 20" and I'm really enjoying it. The challenge to tune properly without using muffls and goop and tape is a part of drumming to me. I know very good drummers who never learned how to tune and a few that just don't have the ear. I'm happy to have been taught how to and reap the benefits from playing a well tuned set. Its inspiring to me, pride if you will. Doc

leo2633
12-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Doc,

That was ironic what you said about the FRAGILE sticker on boxes shipped UPS. The first time I shipped some drums via UPS, I asked the clerk at the UPS store if they could put a FRAGILE sticker on the boxes. They told me that wouldn't be a good idea. They said they'd heard "stories" about UPS personnel deliberately abusing boxes so marked. Of course, those stories weren't substantiated, and I'm not sure if it isn't just urban legend. No offense to any UPS employees that may be on this forum, but it reminded me of the old Samsonite commercials on TV many years ago, where there were apes throwing the luggage around behind the scenes in the airport!

Len

vtec
12-07-2011, 03:22 AM
Interesting to read about UPS and shipping Yamaha RC's. I purchased a mid 80's Cherry wood RC (8,10,12,14,16,22) a few years back and UPS broke one of the bass drums hoops. They were real jerks about it, wanting me to declare a total loss and send it to them to cover their crummy insurance policy through seller. No way was I going to do that! I have since seen many Yamaha's with broken hoops. If you are sending or receiving RC's through UPS, pack the bass drum extra good or demand it is packed well.

BGH
12-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Interesting to read about UPS and shipping Yamaha RC's. I purchased a mid 80's Cherry wood RC (8,10,12,14,16,22) a few years back and UPS broke one of the bass drums hoops. They were real jerks about it, wanting me to declare a total loss and send it to them to cover their crummy insurance policy through seller. No way was I going to do that! I have since seen many Yamaha's with broken hoops. If you are sending or receiving RC's through UPS, pack the bass drum extra good or demand it is packed well.

Its not just RC's. Broken bass drum hoops are a common thing, regardless of the brand of drum. Big, heavy drums probably get dropped or slammed more than the smaller toms or snares. The best way to ship a bass drum, as Doc noted, is to remove the heads and hoops, wrap the hoops in something thin to prevent scratching and place the wrapped hoop on the shell without the head, so it can rest on the lugs and 'float.' Pad well under and around the shell. Make sure the box is big enough for some decent padding and so the spur mounts, tom mount or lugs aren't right up against the carton. Those are also common places a bass drum gets damaged. If a box takes a hard blow right where the spur mount is up against the box, the shell is gonna crack.

yamaharec
12-27-2011, 12:17 AM
I lucked out in buying my kit! I met guy who couldn't keep the Yamie or the Sonor kit because of space in his local !! I bought it for 500$ !!! It has 10"12"13"14" Toms & 22"kick in Piano Black .The shells are ALL Birch!!The snare is red 6"1/2x14".The kit was purchase in Circa 1980.It was Pre-Yes & since added RIMS.The kit has a lot mileage & seen a lot action.But the sound is amazing!!!I've had the kit for about 2 yrs & slowly changed parts.I've changed the skins & added the RIMS.I'd love to play it when I have chance.(Work is keeping me away from really playing for some reason?) Every so often I bash it just remind myself what I bought it for in the first place.My first love has always been drums!!

RobertM
12-28-2011, 07:53 AM
I've been playing RC's since 1982. All of them are great, but there have been a few differences over the years. The very early 80's drums had thinner shells and a more rounded bearing edge.

I think the early RCs had Yamaha's 60 degree edge, which is their more rounded edge. I think the heritage remakes that came out last year (in yellow, red, and natural) had those original edges. The RCs now are identical to the Absolute Birch (45 edges).

BGH
12-28-2011, 09:04 AM
I think the early RCs had Yamaha's 60 degree edge, which is their more rounded edge. I think the heritage remakes that came out last year (in yellow, red, and natural) had those original edges. The RCs now are identical to the Absolute Birch (45 edges).

Nope. The early RC's actually had rounded bearing edges like you see in this graphic, the third edge . I had 2 early 80's RC kits, so I know for sure. The edges were stained the same as the rest of the interior. The rounded edge provides more head to shell contact, creating a fatter sound.

bustmyhead
03-12-2012, 04:28 AM
I had to post what happened to me yesterday here in this thread.
Long story short, My next door neighbor called me yesterday and told me she has "...a few old drum parts they were going to throw away at the town dump." She told me she talked her husband out of tossing them away at the last minute and that they were in the back of her truck. She asked if I wanted to come take a peek in case I wanted them. I told her I'd be right over.

2 minutes later she met me outside by her truck and opened the tailgate. To my surprise she had not only drum parts, but actual drums. Lots of drums. Two different drum sets to be more precise.

She explained that her church band had bought an electronic drum set and they didn't have a need for an acoustic set anymore. She and her husband had brought all of the acoustic drums to the dump where he wanted to pitch them into the dumpster. She told me I could have them for free.

One set of drums is a Pearl Export series - nothing special so I spare you any details. But the 2nd kit was to my utter shock and surprise:

Yamaha Recording Custom (you read that right!)

7x8

10x7

12x8

9x13

12x15

16x22

Piano black finish

Pre-YESS mounts :(

A little investigating confirmed that these are 1983 RCs!

Unfortunately these drums are banged up quite a bit. Each drum has its share of scuffs, scrapes and scratches. But it's still a FREE Yammie RC!

To think someone was going to pitch these into a dumpster is scary.

I dismantled the 12x15 and this story keeps getting better and better. I determined that these drums were manufactured in November-December of 1983. They are birch shells and the edges are stained the same as the interior. Yamaha did this for a very short period which makes these drums even more rare.

http://getfile6.posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2012-03-11/JIwvgEsIbfrHIEIugyADgExBcylgrwpgyAhlFGIymACeFdmbCA nnFsrksehA/yamaha_rc_03.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

http://getfile8.posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2012-03-11/mselotvvjgbruAklcwirqDzIAjEpjazxvkakdnIbcGpgByilfo mwoFrrAhjj/yamaha_rc_04.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

http://getfile4.posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2012-03-11/fkFkvAqiiyensvdGuJciItkFoIiziHfBhCviEnptryqrlvFnxC HIkuCJEjcA/yamaha_rc_07.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

See more photos and my full blog post:
http://groovasaurus.com/this-never-happens

BGH
03-12-2012, 04:43 AM
One set of drums is a Pearl Export series - nothing special so I spare you any details. But the 2nd kit was to my utter shock and surprise:

7x8

10x7

12x8

9x13

12x15

16x22

Piano black finish

Unfortunately these drums are banged up quite a bit. Each drum has its share of scuffs, scrapes and scratches. But it's still a FREE Yammie RC!

To think someone was going to pitch these into a dumpster is scary.

I dismantled the 12x15 and this story keeps getting better and better. I determined that these drums were manufactured in November-December of 1983. They are birch shells and the edges are stained the same as the interior. Yamaha did this for a very short period which makes these drums even more rare.

Yes, my friend. What you have there are early RC's with the rounded and stained bearing edges. You'll also notice that the shells are a bit thinner than those that have been sold from about 1986 through today. These are rare indeed. You just don't find these any more.

One thing: if they are all from the same time period, your dimensions are a bit off unless they are some kind of custom order. Back in those days, the smaller toms were all 8" depth. So, it would be 8x8, 8x10 and 8x12. There were no 7" depth RC drums back then. Even now, the smallest depth for RC would be 7.5". 7.5" depth in the 8 and 10 drums happened much later than 1983. Same for the kick drum. It would be 14x22 measuring just the shell. There were no 16" depth RC kick drums made at that time. Also, the smaller of the 2 large rack toms in the pic is a 10x14, which you don't have listed.

Nice score! Congrats!

harryconway
03-12-2012, 04:44 AM
She told me I could have them for free.

You are one lucky drummer dog.

DrumEatDrum
03-12-2012, 05:04 AM
But it's still a FREE Yammie RC!

WOW!!!

I'm beyond jealous.

bustmyhead
03-12-2012, 05:13 AM
It's crazy - feels like xmas - or better yet - i won some crazy lottery that only drummers play. Funny thing is - I used to own an RC I bought new in the mid '90s (cherry finish) and reluctantly sold it 2 years ago to a friend's kid who is a passionate drummer in desperate need for a solid kit at that time.
Having this new one come into my life is like Yamaha reaffirming we were meant to be. My other 2 kits are a Yamaha Maple Custom (vintage finish) and a Gretsch Renown Maple (Deep Inca Gold Sparkle).
I think it's safe to say I have all the drums I need for now (my wife still doesn't understand)

:)

dmacc
03-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I had to post what happened to me yesterday here in this thread.
Long story short, My next door neighbor called me yesterday and told me she has "...a few old drum parts they were going to throw away at the town dump." She told me she talked her husband out of tossing them away at the last minute and that they were in the back of her truck. She asked if I wanted to come take a peek in case I wanted them. I told her I'd be right over............

Piano black finish

I determined that these drums were manufactured in November-December of 1983. They are birch shells and the edges are stained the same as the interior. Yamaha did this for a very short period which makes these drums even more rare.

Congratulations - you won the lottery!

I wasn't aware the shells being stained inside was unique. I have a Cherry finish set I purchased around 1985 that have the stain throughout as well. That's good to know.

Congratulations for now having one of the finest sets ever built in my opinion.

BGH
03-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Congratulations - you won the lottery!

I wasn't aware the shells being stained inside was unique. I have a Cherry finish set I purchased around 1985 that have the stain throughout as well. That's good to know.

Congratulations for now having one of the finest sets ever built in my opinion.

All Recording Custom kits have the interiors stained. That's not unique. The early RC's (like this black kit) also have stained, rounded bearing edges in addition to the stained interiors. They also had thinner shells than most RC's. If yours are like that, then you also have a kit that is hard to find at this point. If your bearing edges are the 45 degree unfinished edges, then they are what has been sold since the mid-80's through today. Since your kit is about 1985, you're probably right around the time they made the change.

How about posting a pic of the interior of one of your toms? That would show what you have.

ambientgreg
03-13-2012, 06:59 AM
I dream about stuff like this. Except for me it's usually a huge pile of all kinds of cymbals. Thanks for posting this one..tells me I'm not crazy. Or at least there's substance to my visions ( never mind the crazy part).

dmacc
03-13-2012, 12:15 PM
All Recording Custom kits have the interiors stained. That's not unique. The early RC's (like this black kit) also have stained, rounded bearing edges in addition to the stained interiors. They also had thinner shells than most RC's. If yours are like that, then you also have a kit that is hard to find at this point. If your bearing edges are the 45 degree unfinished edges, then they are what has been sold since the mid-80's through today. Since your kit is about 1985, you're probably right around the time they made the change.

How about posting a pic of the interior of one of your toms? That would show what you have.

Ahhh... Thanks... At the moment I can't recall but I think I will indeed snap a picture for review.

TopHat
08-01-2012, 04:01 AM
I guess I will post this question here.

Has the bass drum sound changed over the years?

I've found a surprising amount of opinion online that the RC bass drums aren't the most spectacular sound in the world, and some folks think that the Maple Custom Absolute has by far the better bass drum. So this would seem to argue for a hybrid set for RC owners in present day.

Is this something that is well founded or is the RC bass drum generally not well liked?

Titus Pullo
10-06-2012, 10:08 PM
I own a 9000RA series set. They're circa 1983 by the serial number. The shells are thin - roughly 3/16" - and very light.

I grabbed a couple of shots of the 12" tom from my set.

Edit: Taking a better measure, the 12" comes out right between 3/16 and 1/4 inch.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3467677/RC_RA12.jpg

And

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3467677/RC_edge.jpg

Absolutely great sounding drums.

Elvis
11-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Titus,

Very nice drum.
Just wondering - it's hard to read the badge. Does part of the serial number say "912"?

Elvis

Titus Pullo
12-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Titus,

Very nice drum.
Just wondering - it's hard to read the badge. Does part of the serial number say "912"?

Elvis

Sorry for the delay. Yes, TT-912RA. I believe the 9 indicates the 9000 series.

Big Foot
12-11-2012, 01:54 AM
I own a 9000RA series set. They're circa 1983 by the serial number. The shells are thin - roughly 3/16" - and very light.

I grabbed a couple of shots of the 12" tom from my set.

Edit: Taking a better measure, the 12" comes out right between 3/16 and 1/4 inch.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3467677/RC_RA12.jpg

And

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3467677/RC_edge.jpg

Absolutely great sounding drums.

Those pics made me say "wooow" out loud. I didn't edit the quote so we could see them again.

Elvis
12-11-2012, 04:39 AM
Sorry for the delay. Yes, TT-912RA. I believe the 9 indicates the 9000 series.
Sort of. Only 3 numbers, so its 900, not 9000.
No bigee, just an older version. Pre-RC.
Nice drums. Thanks for sharing. =)

Elvis

BGH
12-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Titus is correct. The older RC's were also referred to as 9000 series, even though the model numbers were 3 digit '9xx.' When Yamaha started ramping up in the 70's, there was a 5000 series (Stage), 7000 series (Tour) and 9000 series (Recording). At some point in the 80's, the Tour series model numbers all began with an '8xx' and both '5xx' and '7xx' seemed to be associated with the Stage Series. The common names of Stage, Tour and Recording took over and were how the series' were referred to at that time.

This cherrywood tom isn't Pre-RC. It is an early RC tom, and is rarely found at this point. The tell-tale signs are stained bearing edges and more rounded edges. The shells are also somewhat thinner. That all changed around 1986. At that time, all of the toms were switched to uniform shell thickness and natural, unstained bearing edges as you still see today. The bearing edge profile also was changed to how they are today.

The pre-RC drums had split lugs and were only offered in natural, black wrap and white wrap. I believe they were all made in Taiwan at the time. They were birch and were made with the same process that Yamaha still uses.

Titus Pullo
12-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Titus is correct. The older RC's were also referred to as 9000 series, even though the model numbers were 3 digit '9xx.'
Thanks - no one ever takes my word on these things :)

ps: if you know of a 10" to match that tom, PM me.

BGH
12-12-2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks - no one ever takes my word on these things :)

ps: if you know of a 10" to match that tom, PM me.

No problem. There is a cherrywood 8x10 on eBay right now. It's post-1986 so doesn't have the same edges as yours. You'll be very hard pressed to find one just like yours. This one looks like it has a few small dings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIP-YAMAHA-BIRCH-RECORDING-CUSTOM-8-x-10-TOM-CHERRY-WOOD-VINTAGE-/160936383681?pt=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item25788e54c1

Elvis
12-13-2012, 12:48 AM
Titus is correct. The older RC's were also referred to as 9000 series, even though the model numbers were 3 digit '9xx.' When Yamaha started ramping up in the 70's, there was a 5000 series (Stage), 7000 series (Tour) and 9000 series (Recording). At some point in the 80's, the Tour series model numbers all began with an '8xx' and both '5xx' and '7xx' seemed to be associated with the Stage Series. The common names of Stage, Tour and Recording took over and were how the series' were referred to at that time.

This cherrywood tom isn't Pre-RC. It is an early RC tom, and is rarely found at this point. The tell-tale signs are stained bearing edges and more rounded edges. The shells are also somewhat thinner. That all changed around 1986. At that time, all of the toms were switched to uniform shell thickness and natural, unstained bearing edges as you still see today. The bearing edge profile also was changed to how they are today.

The pre-RC drums had split lugs and were only offered in natural, black wrap and white wrap. I believe they were all made in Taiwan at the time. They were birch and were made with the same process that Yamaha still uses.
sorry about that guys. The early RC must've happened just before the numerical change from 3 numbers to 4 numbers then?
..also, I'm pretty sure my buddy's kit, which was made in '78, says "Made in Japan". I'll check that again, next time I see him.

Elvis

BGH
12-13-2012, 05:20 AM
sorry about that guys. The early RC must've happened just before the numerical change from 3 numbers to 4 numbers then?
..also, I'm pretty sure my buddy's kit, which was made in '78, says "Made in Japan". I'll check that again, next time I see him.

Elvis

If your buddy has a kit that says its made in Japan and it has the stretch lugs, then its a recording series kit. But they were called '9000 Series' at that time. Forget about the 3 digit and 4 digit thing. You are mixing up the name of the series with the model number format. All you need to know is that Recording Series drums model numbers start with a '9.' None of the model numbers ever were 4 digit. The drums were called '9000 Series' before they were called 'Recording Series.' Get it? 9000 Series didn't mean the model numbers were 4 digit-they never were.

They weren't commonly called Recording Series until the 80's. This is a pic of a pre-RC drum that was clearly made in Taiwan. For example, the model number of this drum is TT-913D and it was part of the 9000 Series at the time. Titus' drum is TT-912RA. The '9' tells you Recording/9000 Series and the 12 or 13 tells you its a 12" or 13" tom. That's all there is to it.

So, you'll see that Titus' drum is not pre-RC as you stated. His drum is genuine early RC, not pre-RC. My other point is that the drum he has there is rare, because of the slightly different way the shells were made at the time. They only made them that way 'til the mid 80's. Yamaha experts will tell you that those drums are somewhat more valuable than the RC drums made after 1986, as used drums go.

Elvis
12-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Interesting.
Coulda swore that they changed to a 4 digit format at some time.
...but for a while, ALL Yamaha drum series were hundred - 500, 700, 900.
I remember talking to a drum shop salesman back in the early 80's about Yamaha drums and he called all as so many hundred.
It wasn't until later that it changed to thousand....and yet the model number written on the tag was always 3 digit?...Oh well, whatever.
You seem pretty sure of yourself, so...ok!
Hey, that tom you showed in your post looks just like my buddy's.
22-12-13-16 kit. Looks about as good a shape as the tom you show.
Seller threw in a Chrome metal Dyna-Sonic, too.....all for something like $600.

...man, some people have ALL the luck! ;)

Elvis

Elvis
12-14-2012, 12:49 AM
hey, just remebered something about the 9000 series drums.
In a thread at another forum, there was something mentioned about the two letters that follow the model/tom size number that designates what the shell make up is.
One letter set denotes a 100% Birch shell. The other denotes a different wood ("Mahogany"?).
Would you happen to remember those letter sets?
I'll take a look and see if that thread still exists.

EDIT: ok, found the thread. "D" denotes Birch shells, "DA" denotes a luan/camellia shell, but both are 9000 series drums.
I think this only relates to pre-RC drums, though.

Elvis

Titus Pullo
12-14-2012, 06:14 PM
My other point is that the drum he has there is rare, because of the slightly different way the shells were made at the time. They only made them that way 'til the mid 80's. Yamaha experts will tell you that those drums are somewhat more valuable than the RC drums made after 1986, as used drums go.

Elvis* To the numbering issue - the 9000 thing - some of these models are traceable on Yamaha's Drum Vault, here:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahadrums/drumvault/default.asp

If you input the serial on the tom I pictured above, the query returns:

Model Number TT-912RA
Series 9000RA
Shell Material Birch
Shell Width 12"
Shell Depth 8"
Finishes Hot Red, Jade Green, Mellow Yellow, Solid Black, Stage White, Sunset Brown
Hoop Steel, Triple Flange
Lug Chrome/Single Hi-Tension

I first noticed the difference in the RCs while at school in L.A., and these drums (the RA series) definitely possessed a different sonic character.

Also, I'm pretty sure Colaiuta is using them in the '84 Zildjian Days video on this site -

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/vinniecolaiutazildjian84.html

Notice the bearing edges beginning at :25 and later in the video.

Elvis
12-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Say, Titus, Didn't you once post something to the effect that the two letters at the end of the model number denote the year an RC drum was made?
Like in your case, "RA" = 1983?
Is that correct?

Elvis

Titus Pullo
12-14-2012, 10:15 PM
You're referring to the text on the opposite side of the badge, if applicable. On the tom above the code is JK, and because these are 80s drums that equates to April, 1983.

BGH
12-15-2012, 01:42 AM
There are 2 numbers on the badge. One is the model # and one is the serial #. The serial number is unique to the drum and identifies the date made. The model number would appear on many of the the same sized drum. The TT-912RA is the model # in this case. Its the other number that would indicate the date of production. See the chart for the details:

Elvis
12-15-2012, 02:19 AM
Ok, so the date of manufacture, starting with drums built in 1980, are decoded by the Serial Number Prefix.
Got it.
One last question concerning this - a drum made in April of '83 would have a JK serial prefix, a drum made in April of '93 would have a PJK serial prefix, a drum made in April of 2003 would have a QJK serial prefix and a drum made next April would have a HJK serial prefix.
Do I that correct?

Now back to my original question - what do the two letters that follow the model number indicate? (for example, TT-912RA).

Elvis

BGH
12-15-2012, 03:06 AM
The best I can determine, the suffix tells you a style as follows:

912RA is early RC, rounder stained edges

912RC is the next 'era' - has the natural edges, pre-YESS mount, traditional depth
912RF is same as previous, but power depth

912YJ is standard depth, but YESS mount
912Y is power depth and YESS mount

The line they currently sell are the YJ:
7.5x8, 7.5x10, 8x12, 9x13, 10x14

and the Y:
8x8, 9x10, 10x12, 11x13, 12x14, 13x15, 14x16, 14x14, 16x16, 16x18

Below is one of my kits, which has the RC: 910RC and 912RC

Titus Pullo
12-15-2012, 05:40 AM
Now back to my original question - what do the two letters that follow the model number indicate? (for example, TT-912RA).

Elvis

1990-Present: Drums are coded with three-letter prefix on the serial numbers. The first two letters indicate year, the third letter indicates the month (1=Jan, 2=February, etc.).
Example: PPI=February 1999(PP=Feb. I=Feb)

1 = H
2 =I
3 = J
4 = K
5 = L
6 = M
7 = N
8 = O
9 = P
10 = X
11 = Y
12 = Z
00 = Q

I recall reading on a site somewhere that RA referred to Recording Artist .. I'm not at all convinced that's what it is.

Elvis
12-15-2012, 08:08 PM
You know, you may be onto something BGH.
I was thinking they may have been finish codes, but the current RC offering from Yamaha lists a "Y" prefix that alternates a second letter on shells that are (apparently) outside of the normal depth (which is what I would call a "deep" depth).
...maybe I'll write to Yamaha. This one's eating at me now. =I

Elvis

MusiQmaN
07-23-2013, 03:03 AM
To make it more interesting. I had a made in Taiwan 9000 Real Wood kit with high tension lugs and the thin shells.

I know own a same Real Wood kit from the 80's with a slightly thicker shell and made in japan badges.

drumming sort of person
07-23-2013, 03:45 AM
I've read that the pre-YESS/ Early YESS period (80's-mid 90's) was the hayday for YRC's and yamaha drums in general.

Hogwash. I have a set of Yamahas from the 70s, I've owned RCs in the 80s, I've owned MCAs in the 90s, and I own an RC kit I bought a year ago. The newest kit is by far the best (and they were all great).

The RC bass drums on the 80s kit sounded like shit, and those RC snare drums had terrible strainers and snare beds. Other than that, top notch, best hardware, and beautiful finishes.

Artstar
07-23-2013, 04:16 AM
I owned these, and 2 later RC's with the long lugs. These Taiwan series were MUCH better sound to me. Flawless build quality, and best lug Yamaha ever designed IMO.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53190&stc=1&d=1355372425

drumming sort of person
07-23-2013, 11:31 PM
I owned these, and 2 later RC's with the long lugs. These Taiwan series were MUCH better sound to me. Flawless build quality, and best lug Yamaha ever designed IMO.

I have a set of those too, and I agree that those lugs are spectacularly beautiful, but their high tension lugs are pretty sweet too (although highly derivative of Premier's old lugs).

Elvis
07-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Hogwash. I have a set of Yamahas from the 70s, I've owned RCs in the 80s, I've owned MCAs in the 90s, and I own an RC kit I bought a year ago. The newest kit is by far the best (and they were all great).

The RC bass drums on the 80s kit sounded like shit, and those RC snare drums had terrible strainers and snare beds. Other than that, top notch, best hardware, and beautiful finishes.
Did your 80's RC kit have the short floor tom legs that the other models of Yamaha drums had back then?

Elvis

MusiQmaN
07-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Ps my drums now:

My 20x14 beast (yes beast. Blows many 22" away)

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=453823&stc=1&d=1373462800

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=453824&stc=1&d=1373462824

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=453825&stc=1&d=1373462840

I sold the 70's 24x14 and its matching 13x11. So now I have a 80's 10x8, 12x8, 14x14, 16x16 and 20x14 kit.

(the snare is a rare only-one-existing custom Yamaha Stainless Steel model)

Still thinking of order a 8x8 keller shell with the same bearing edges and use the hardware of the un used 13" tom on it

Elvis
07-24-2013, 07:21 PM
YES!
DRUMS I CAN PLAY!

lefty2
07-24-2013, 08:58 PM

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53190&stc=1&d=1355372425

I like these lugs the best. 88" model, power tour customs. they look a little more sleek. These drums were made in Japan, I've really enjoyed playing them. I can't tell much difference between them and my BCA's
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff415/mnichols304/20130724_132939_zps15c188c6.jpg (http://s1234.photobucket.com/user/mnichols304/media/20130724_132939_zps15c188c6.jpg.html)

drumming sort of person
07-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Did your 80's RC kit have the short floor tom legs that the other models of Yamaha drums had back then?

Elvis

I had mounted floor toms (14" and 16"), no legs. I had all the toms mounted with R.I.M.S. too.

Elvis
07-25-2013, 04:25 AM
Fair enough.
Thanks for answering my question.

Elvis

harvestdrum
08-03-2013, 09:55 AM
If your buddy has a kit that says its made in Japan and it has the stretch lugs, then its a recording series kit. But they were called '9000 Series' at that time. Forget about the 3 digit and 4 digit thing. You are mixing up the name of the series with the model number format. All you need to know is that Recording Series drums model numbers start with a '9.' None of the model numbers ever were 4 digit. The drums were called '9000 Series' before they were called 'Recording Series.' Get it? 9000 Series didn't mean the model numbers were 4 digit-they never were.

They weren't commonly called Recording Series until the 80's. This is a pic of a pre-RC drum that was clearly made in Taiwan. For example, the model number of this drum is TT-913D and it was part of the 9000 Series at the time. Titus' drum is TT-912RA. The '9' tells you Recording/9000 Series and the 12 or 13 tells you its a 12" or 13" tom. That's all there is to it.

So, you'll see that Titus' drum is not pre-RC as you stated. His drum is genuine early RC, not pre-RC. My other point is that the drum he has there is rare, because of the slightly different way the shells were made at the time. They only made them that way 'til the mid 80's. Yamaha experts will tell you that those drums are somewhat more valuable than the RC drums made after 1986, as used drums go.

Interesting! I did not know that there was any shells produced out side of Japan. (Talking about any RC/9000 series)

Thanks for sharing this!

ionic
08-24-2013, 03:04 PM
My drums don't seem to fit with the chart. The 8x12 tom is reads TT-912AE. The serial no. section reads "NO". "NN" is on another tom. Any thoughts?

Japanese made Recording Standards in Silky Brown. They show a couple of early features I'd like mention for the benefit of this thread.

One is the "ship's wheel" nut on the kick. The other is the badge...the top left/right corners are squared and it's silver, whereas the later ones have four rounded edges and a gold color.

The inside shells have a clear finish.

This has been my go to gigging kit for a long time. Too biased to comment on the best era.

TopHat
08-24-2013, 04:11 PM
The best period is easily now, because I finally got one.
:)

drumdevil9
08-25-2013, 01:11 AM
My drums don't seem to fit with the chart. The 8x12 tom is reads TT-912AE. The serial no. section reads "NO". "NN" is on another tom. Any thoughts?

Japanese made Recording Standards in Silky Brown. They show a couple of early features I'd like mention for the benefit of this thread.

One is the "ship's wheel" nut on the kick. The other is the badge...the top left/right corners are squared and it's silver, whereas the later ones have four rounded edges and a gold color.

The inside shells have a clear finish.

This has been my go to gigging kit for a long time. Too biased to comment on the best era.

That's a sweet kit. Love the finish.

mpthomson
08-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Interesting! I did not know that there was any shells produced out side of Japan. (Talking about any RC/9000 series)

Thanks for sharing this!

They were also made by Premier in the UK the late 80s when they'd been bought out by Yamaha, allegedly to get access to the diamond chroming method which was easily the best at that time.

Exactly the same in terms of quality and built the same way and they sound identical too.

sarnie
06-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Here is a pic of my Yamaha 9000RA kit - glad I found this thread as I always wondered what the difference between RA and RC was - I bought this kit with a 22" bass, 10" and 12" toms, 14" and 16" floor toms with a matching snare, including all the hardware - Had Yamaha make me a matching 22" bass, and 13", 14", 15" & 16" toms - getting 15" heads used to be a task...

sarnie
06-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Here is a pic of my Yamaha 9000RA kit - glad I found this thread as I always wondered what the difference between RA and RC was - I bought this kit with a 22" bass, 10" and 12" toms, 14" and 16" floor toms with a matching snare, including all the hardware - Had Yamaha make me a matching 22" bass, and 13", 14", 15" & 16" toms - getting 15" heads used to be a task... not using the matching snare though in this pic

joao3208
06-27-2014, 10:35 AM
not using the matching snare though in this pic

Sarnie,

I have a matching 16x16 FT-916 RA floor tom if you are interested. This one will match your stained thinner shell RC's. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks,

Lifestarts@forty
06-30-2014, 04:41 AM
These are my 9000 series that I should have never sold. I bought these to flip. I paid $225 and they were in great shape. I totally took them apart, cleaned them up, put on all new heads and they were awesome. These were my wife's favorites... She used to say they were like furniture! This set had a 24" bass that was thunderous. I didn't take long to sell them. I still kick myself for flipping these even though I made good money on them!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii316/burrfree/IMG_0873.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/burrfree/media/IMG_0873.jpg.html)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii316/burrfree/IMG_0875.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/burrfree/media/IMG_0875.jpg.html)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii316/burrfree/IMG_0882.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/burrfree/media/IMG_0882.jpg.html)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii316/burrfree/IMG_0867.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/burrfree/media/IMG_0867.jpg.html)

Lifestarts@forty
06-30-2014, 04:47 AM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii316/burrfree/IMG_0871.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/burrfree/media/IMG_0871.jpg.html)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii316/burrfree/IMG_0879.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/burrfree/media/IMG_0879.jpg.html)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii316/burrfree/IMG_0880.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/burrfree/media/IMG_0880.jpg.html)

Yeah... These 9000 series were damn good drums!!!

Artstar
06-30-2014, 05:51 AM
Yeah... These 9000 series were damn good drums!!!

Your's were Taiwan production ??

Lifestarts@forty
06-30-2014, 01:18 PM
I really can't remember if they were japan or PROC. Either way, they were very good drums.

Artstar
06-30-2014, 01:45 PM
I had the Taiwan manufacture. Rock solid , built as good as any of my Sakae Yamaha's.