PDA

View Full Version : Crashes for Hi-Hats?

kevdrummer28
03-23-2011, 05:18 AM
I looked up the equipment for this one drummer, Hillsong's, and for some of his hi-hats, he used 14" crash cymbals.

Why exactly would you use 14" crash cymbals in place of hi-hats? Other than just you like the sound?

Thanks for any info

Fishbones
03-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Other than just you like the sound?

Why use a cymbal for any other reason?

kevdrummer28
03-23-2011, 05:32 AM
Why use a cymbal for any other reason?

You're missing the point lol

alparrott
03-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Crash cymbals have different "cut" properties than purpose-made hi-hats, and the different profiles, bell sizes, etc. can make a drummer's sound stand out from the crowd. I myself use 14" Z-MACs as hi-hats (think two New Beat tops) precisely because I couldn't find a conventional hi-hat sound I liked.

brady
03-23-2011, 06:30 PM
You're missing the point lol

Fishbones makes a good point, but I think the point you're probably looking for is that crashes are generally thinner than hi-hat cymbals. Especially the bottom hat.

It just gives a different sound, usually sloshier. Think of Steve Jordan's sound. He's been known to use 17" crashes as hi-hats.

MikeM
03-23-2011, 10:23 PM
And I just read that Thomas Pridgen has upped his "hats" to a pair of 19" Z3 Crashes!

Oh, where will this madness ever end!? (I think I'll get me a pair 24" Medium Rides...)

dwdrummerky
03-23-2011, 10:39 PM
The right combo can sound very sweet..I have two Istanbul Crashes 16" that sound good as hats.

Oh yeah on the 24" hats haha! The way things are going these days before long you might see a setup like this...to hell with everything!

-24" K light ride over 24" A medium ride for hats
-26" aax stage ride for left crash
-custom made sabian 30" hhx power ride (also used as a splash)
-26" agop sig ride as right crash
-22" A medium ride as left splash
-60" pasite symphonic gong as china (bell added in center and drilled to fit on a custom made DW cymbal stand) (this will be my main "wash ride cymbal)

Drums will be keller 32"x32" bass drum, 7"x20" rack tom, 22"x24" floor tom

Drum throne will be at least 20 - 21" sweet rides stacked with a pillow on top

sticks will be Louisville slugger baseball bats

Red Menace
03-23-2011, 10:39 PM
I think you have more options too. I was using a Paiste 602 with a Sabian AA crash over it till I bought my New Beats. As I understand with larger hats, to cut down on the wash, it helps to use a lighter top over a heavier bottom.

Cosmo from CCR used to use 18" crashes as hats. Check out this video at 1:29. Woweee!! Sweet mustache too btw.

I've been thinking about getting two 16" or 18" crashes and using them as hats.

kevdrummer28
03-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Crash cymbals have different "cut" properties than purpose-made hi-hats, and the different profiles, bell sizes, etc. can make a drummer's sound stand out from the crowd. I myself use 14" Z-MACs as hi-hats (think two New Beat tops) precisely because I couldn't find a conventional hi-hat sound I liked.

Thanks for the help! I hit pretty hard and want a different sound from hats. So I'll probably try some 14" or 16" crashes out for hats sometime. Specifically the Meinl Byzance Traditional series, so I'm VERY anxious to hear them

TTNW
03-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I will use, only occasionally, a 16 A Medium Thin with an A Thin on top and sometimes an
18" A Medium for the bottom with an A Medium Thin on top.

I don't like them for tight or articulate playing. I like them only when it's going to be a sloshy and loud rock fest. Then they sound really good. The 18s are a bit unwieldy though.

uniin
03-26-2011, 11:46 AM
check out thomas pridgen man. he uses either two 17 or two 18" crashes as hats. different sound a feel and weight

Evilbagua
03-26-2011, 12:41 PM
I have tried 18, 17, and 16" crashes as hats. The 18's and 17's are way to slow and heavy even on a dw9000 stand for medium over heavy weights. I don't think those sizes would work for most applications unless you use very light weight cymbals. For metal/loudness I rock 16" Z custom medium over rock crashes as hats. So not absurdly washy or slow moving on the stand.

Fishbones
03-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I've tried a 16" K Custom Fast Crash over a 16" Avedis Thin Crash. Not the best stick definition but it worked for a couple blues sessions.

tamadrm
03-28-2011, 12:09 AM
I have used a 14"A Zildjian paper thin crash for the top and a Newbeat top as a bottom.Think Ringo for the sound.You just can't step on the foot pedal too hard or the top will invert.I have also used a 16" A Zildjian thin crash for a top and a 16"Sabian med/thin crash for the bottom.Very Steve Jordan.Experiment,thats what cymbal companies do.

Steve B

kevdrummer28
07-05-2011, 06:05 AM
I have used a 14"A Zildjian paper thin crash for the top and a Newbeat top as a bottom.Think Ringo for the sound.You just can't step on the foot pedal too hard or the top will invert.I have also used a 16" A Zildjian thin crash for a top and a 16"Sabian med/thin crash for the bottom.Very Steve Jordan.Experiment,thats what cymbal companies do.

Steve B

Then again, cymbal companies have whatever cymbal they want.

Pretty sure I'm gonna stick with some heavy 14"s

wy yung
07-05-2011, 06:09 AM
I've often used 20" ride cymbals as hats. It depends on the music. Recently in a heavy situation I could not hear regular hats and had to use 18" crashes. It was a LOUD band! Insanely loud.

I also have used snares for toms and timbales for snares. There are no rules.

kevdrummer28
07-05-2011, 06:13 AM
I've often used 20" ride cymbals as hats. It depends on the music. Recently in a heavy situation I could not hear regular hats and had to use 18" crashes. It was a LOUD band! Insanely loud.

I also have used snares for toms and timbales for snares. There are no rules.

After reading this, my mind wanted to barf

uniin
07-05-2011, 09:22 AM
i have a friend who has a pair of 15" paiste 2oo2 sound edge hats - however he lost his top hat, and he replaced it with a 15" paiste 2oo2 ride. sounds great

cobamnator
07-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I was going stack 2 - 40" Gongs as Hi hats to see how they sound.

I heard ?estlove uses 2 - 14" "Vintage" Crashes as hi hats. Anyone else have more info on this?