PDA

View Full Version : Bare Feet, Socks or Shoes?

Pages : [1] 2

Edward
07-22-2005, 03:03 AM
What shoes have the best grip for the bass drum pedal?

Damon Dapper
07-22-2005, 03:17 AM
Any pair of good fitting sneakers works well for me............

If I wear shoes the soles have to be rubber.........

Dap.........

insane drummer
07-22-2005, 04:29 AM
I go barefoot... I have heard alot of guys like Chucks.

Sticksman
07-22-2005, 05:11 AM
I can double bass comfortably while barefoot, but right now I'm wearing some Adidas Gazelles and they're working out really nice. Great for running, too.

Oh God, I'm a coroporate whore now

Nilis
07-22-2005, 05:12 AM
oooooooooohh, i'd go barefoot if my bass pedals had toegaurds. I usually go with my Adio's.

Superlow
07-22-2005, 05:21 AM
I think a good solid pair of sneakers will do just fine Any skateboarding shoes, I have a pair of converse skateboarding shoes that kick hard. Since I go right to practice after work a lot I have to play in dress shoes... Not Fun!

LiquidSoul546
07-22-2005, 05:29 AM
i like a nice pair of socks. that way i can slide my feet.
peace

Milo
07-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Some old school British Knights
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/50000018/Images/6/1a175.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/BRITISH-KNIGHTS-Basketball-Red-Shoes-Men-Size-11-5-US_W0QQitemZ7703098377QQcategoryZ63850QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

jamsjr44
07-22-2005, 07:08 PM
I used to play in sneakers then I tried just playing in socks and it really opened up my foot control better. I use socks that have a grip on them so my feet don't slide so much. I tried going back to sneakers and my foot work felt really stiff.

Even Freddie Gruber stressed the importance of not playing in sneakers it creates unnecessary stress. But again it's all personal preference.

Wegadrummer
07-22-2005, 09:55 PM
skateshoe.. :P since i am a skateboarder too i just love skateshoes.. now i have lakai tobacoo shoes but when there is a big gig going on i use my 5 years old Lakai rick howard2 model shoes.. i grew up playing drums in those shoes :P

Speedy
07-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Barefoot usally...but for shoes? Converse Allstars!!!!!!!!!

eddrummer05
07-22-2005, 10:25 PM
yeaa haha go for the converce allstars...

Damon Dapper
07-22-2005, 11:10 PM
I think socks with rubber grips (like Jamsjr44 wrote) are the best move to make if you require maximum pedal-feel at the time. I never put on footwear that have heavy soles when I play, that's against the law.

Dap.

Edward
07-23-2005, 12:30 AM
well.i think if your a drummer....you should be able to play with any type of shoe, heavy, light, or none!

dustpan65
07-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Ive done it all ways but i like doing it barefoot the best. Its easier for me to hit better accent notes on the bass drum

finnhiggins
07-23-2005, 02:00 AM
Ive done it all ways but i like doing it barefoot the best. Its easier for me to hit better accent notes on the bass drum

I actually deliberately try not to practice barefoot. I'd rather not get good at doing something that's just a plain bad idea on some gigs. Ever tried getting off a drum kit when there's broken glass around it and you don't have any shoes on? I tend to suggest people keep the shoes on for practice, since you'll probably want to have them on when you play...

Drummer_Boy
07-23-2005, 10:36 AM
I just use my Converse All-stars. After a while tho, those things will wear out on you...like if you put too much pressure on them, those things will fall apart after a few months, maybe like 8 months. Haha, mine have holes in them.

Rudy McRudster
07-23-2005, 04:38 PM
I think that the ideal is in socks, but I'll be damned if I go to a gig without shoes. Adidas makes some really nice running shoes with goodyear rubber on the bottom that fir quite nicely. They're pretty expensive, though. I have Adidas Sambas and they work fine; all-stars are ok but they're just not as comfortable as other shoes. It's just canvas, no padding or anything.

jamsjr44
07-23-2005, 05:13 PM
well.i think if your a drummer....you should be able to play with any type of shoe, heavy, light, or none!

Obviously you've never tried playing in workboots or dress shoes with hard wood or rubber bottoms with little or no flex? Again it depends on what you are playing, if you are playing light jazz and are a heel down player footwear won't make much of a difference. But if you are playing straight rock or heavy music heavier shoes after three sets and your feet don't feel to good.

Alot of pro's use light footwear when they play.

Like I'll pratice in sneakers once in awhile just to build up strength, but after I take them off my feet just feel faster. Again play in whatever you feel most comfortable there is no wrong or right way.

phonophunk
07-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Old skateshoes, they're from vans and with 2 years they've got a pretty flexible sole so I really like playing with them...

mediocrefunkybeat
07-23-2005, 07:44 PM
I play barefoot or with 'grip socks' usually.

However, I have played in Doc Marten's (excellent for heavy work, great ankle support) sneakers (which I personally don't like playing in anymore) and dress shoes I have to wear for school.

I actually find jazz easier to play in the dress shoes, as I can do toe-heel work far more efficiently with the slight heel of the shoe.

G-money
07-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Sox or ANY flat and thin soled shoe.The skateboard version of Nike "dunks" are really good. They grip when you want them to, slide when you want them to.

Bernhard
07-24-2005, 10:25 AM
I took this thread from OFF TOPIC to GEAR.

I really think it's useful - even if you play barefoot.....

Here a Steve Gadd shot (private Drummerworld-Exclusive by Alex Solca). That's what the master wears when SoundChecking and practicing.... the gig perhabs he needs something black.... What label is this, any idea???

See also the Hi-Hat Stand..not really Yamaha...lol

Bernhard

finnhiggins
07-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Obviously you've never tried playing in workboots or dress shoes with hard wood or rubber bottoms with little or no flex?
Alot of pro's use light footwear when they play.

Go check out Paul Elliot's video on Drummerworld. He's got a mighty fast right foot, and he plays ALL THE TIME in giant heavy workboots. Probably something to do with being from Newcastle Upon Tyne. In my year at Drumtech there was a Swiss guy who took to describing Paul's footware as "L' Clef Merde" (apologies for mis-spelling, not a french speaker) meaning something like "S*** stompers".

mediocrefunkybeat
07-24-2005, 05:11 PM

Here a Steve Gadd shot (private Drummerworld-Exclusive by Alex Solca). That's what the master wears when SoundChecking and practicing.... the gig perhabs he needs something black.... What label is this, any idea???

Bernhard

Those be a pair of Nikes. LOL at the Hi-Hat stand, I wonder if his rep has seen that...

bugoy_king
07-24-2005, 06:01 PM

Bernhard

I think that is a pair of Nike Presto's. I've played with them on, they're pretty good. It's really lightweight, it feels like a thick sock on top with a rubber sole at the bottom.

Jonas Bridgous
07-24-2005, 06:25 PM
A light pair of skate shoes with good flat soles seems to do the trick for me.

chino_Ocio
07-24-2005, 07:43 PM
I used to wear any type of shoes when playing drums, but I year ago I bought a pair of Puma's and just loved how they felt. My feet are free to do whatever they want, such a pair of flexible shoes... and recently I bought another pair :P

Stevis
07-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah I find barefoot comfortable to play.

NUTHA JASON
07-24-2005, 09:40 PM
barefoot my foot slips around the plate too much. the best shoes for me are fashionable bowling shoes but, boots work as well. look at footage of bonzo on the ledzep dvd and he's wearing snake hide cowboy boots while playing communication breakdown. nuff said.

j

michaeldangelo
07-25-2005, 06:35 AM
I'm usually barefoot around the house, but I go for a very light shoe. Puma Trainers are my favorite. Thomas Lang uses them as well, except his are red and mine are black so I can gig with them.

BUT....

No matter what apparel are on your feet you should be able to adapt no matter what. Same goes with the pedal. You should always learn to adapt to anything.

Mario Vincent
07-25-2005, 08:49 AM
I've been using worn in New Balance Encap's for a while now and i think they're great... thinking about getting a pair of light sneakers though, anyone tried out those new Nike Free's? Oh, and for the record... sandals are def. the worst footwear (for heal up at least).

-Mario

rendezvous_drummer
07-26-2005, 09:12 AM
I go barefoot because it feels great, and i have more control. Also i have no choice but to go barefoot because i have size 16 shoe and my shoe gets stuck in the pedal.

K!lly
07-26-2005, 08:35 PM
When I beginned drums I was playing with Timberlands..; hum bad idea..
Somtimes, I was playing with "dress shoes" (some really really nice Bowen :) and I find so cool, that I always keeped them to play :)
One year after, my "nices" shoes that I needed to wear at my scool was "done" (R.I.P)
(my mother was uppset: 200euros...).
So I played again with my Timberlands. :_(

at one time I was playing with the same shoes on the picture with S.Gadd on it.. Nike's prestos. 'Was cool :D

...and one day I tried barefoot... Since, I never play with out my favourite socks ;)

Go check out Paul Elliot's video on Drummerworld. He's got a mighty fast right foot, and he plays ALL THE TIME in giant heavy workboots. Probably something to do with being from Newcastle Upon Tyne. In my year at Drumtech there was a Swiss guy who took to describing Paul's footware as "L' Clef Merde" (apologies for mis-spelling, not a french speaker) meaning something like "S*** stompers".

LOL yeah we call it "Ecrase-merde" (S*** Stomper), but I prefer "Ramasse-merde"=S***-Collect(or?)

MaxRoach
07-26-2005, 08:44 PM
When I beginned drums I was playing with Timberlands..; hum bad idea..
Somtimes, I was playing with "dress shoes" (some really really nice Bowen :) and I find so cool, that I always keeped them to play :)
One year after, my "nices" shoes that I needed to wear at my scool was "done" (R.I.P)
(my mother was uppset: 200euros...).
So I played again with my Timberlands. :_(

I was playing with timberlands for about 3 years....I think it got my feet faster :P

K!lly
07-26-2005, 09:02 PM
maybe, but for me only the "feel" count....
and I didn't like playing with my Timb's

and I play with my hole legs so its doesn't change anything for me ;)

[I'm just liing, in order to have the last word :P]

rendezvous_drummer
07-26-2005, 09:58 PM
haha timberlands. Man that would be rough. The best shoe I've played with is any of the pumas cause the ones i had, molded to my feet perfectly and it was a feather weight so it was awesome.

ugly_drummer_kid
07-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Something light. I go with converses. Try to learn to adapt to all circumstances though.

rendezvous_drummer
07-27-2005, 04:36 AM
So I went out lookin for a pair of grip socks right. I went to walmart, sportchek, footlocker, and none of them sell grip socks. WHERE CAN I FIND EM?

Damon Dapper
07-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I'm a Drummer who believes in detailed technical drumming, and footwear are just as important as the type of sticks I'm using for the score. And being adaptive to anything as a Drummer is also very important, I just try to minimize having to do so.

Set the drums & pedals up too you................not you to it!

BarryBuchanan
07-28-2005, 09:02 PM
I wear Running Shoes cos they are light, tight fitting and hav a thin soul. If you wear loose shoes u loose a lot of movement. Bare feet are fine for about 10 minutes then u get swaety pedals and wearing only socks is a no go!!!!!!

Drums = Pearl Blx, Double Bass drum kit
Cymbals = Paiste 2002 and Rude
Pedals = Iron Cobras

mano_drums
07-30-2005, 03:54 AM
you shoul adapt to any bass drum, yeah I'know u are more adapted to ypur own bass drum, but if i'ts about wearing something, try sneakers with not a heavy soles like CONVERSE ALL STARS, (I use them) or a pair that you use to skate, they adapt well to yor feet, or you can practice barefoot like a lot of people

that's your choice only!

parser
07-31-2005, 12:05 AM
For me, nothing beats perfectly fitting and broken in low-top slip on waffle soul vans. I keep 'em in my cymbal bag and only wear them when playing. We all know what happens with wet shoes on a pedal, especially here in Oregon.

minishee07
08-08-2005, 07:51 AM
i like to have a sock on for my bass drum...so i can slide it up and down... other opinions? ups and downs?

illy
08-08-2005, 09:18 AM
i play barefoot when i practice. of course, on stage or something, im not going to take off my shoes.

rendezvous_drummer
08-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Haha i always go barefoot on stage, my shoe is too big and wont fit between the pedal things......

ale52
08-08-2005, 06:02 PM
I practice / play barefoot. Seems I have a better "feel" on the pedals.

drummerboy
08-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Socked feet at home and shoes on stage

Dill X
08-08-2005, 06:21 PM
I where Puma shoes with the thin sole for practice and performing.

largo61
08-08-2005, 06:32 PM
I play barefoot at home and socks at gigs. I can't wear shoes. My feet are too big. With shoes my feet wouldn't even fit on the pedal. One time at a gig I put my shoes behind me while I was playing. After the gig I reached for my shoes and one was gone. Someone had moved it behind stage for some reason. I wear socks with holes on the toe.

Dill X
08-08-2005, 06:38 PM
I play barefoot at home and socks at gigs. I can't wear shoes. My feet are too big. With shoes my feet wouldn't even fit on the pedal. One time at a gig I put my shoes behind me while I was playing. After the gig I reached for my shoes and one was gone. Someone had moved it behind stage for some reason. I wear socks with holes on the toe.
How big is your foot?

Milo
08-08-2005, 06:46 PM
I used to play barefoot but sometimes I'd get a little crazy and end up cutting my foot on something. For those who have feet that don't fit on the pedals, you might want to look into getting some longboards...Axis maybe.

aahznightsky
08-08-2005, 11:55 PM
i usually play barefoot at home and converses for gigs

when i wore socks though, i would get holes in them (sliding technique) so I stopped that quick.

don't wear socks if you use slide technique on a pedal with alot of bumpy designs (i.e. the iron cobra or DW 5000s, etc)

Tyrnox
08-09-2005, 12:32 AM
I can play either, but I highly prefer shoes, I find playing double bass and doing double's more comfertable.

Jaymasta
08-09-2005, 12:39 AM
I wear socks because I better feel to the base drum but if I'm wearing shoes I use them I prefer shoes for double bass

largo61
08-10-2005, 08:14 PM
How big is your foot?

I am a 13 but my feet are also extra wide. My shoes are 13 4EE. With shoes my foot cover the pedal to the point that I have no control. I can't do any sensitive foot work wearing shoes.

wannaberockstar24
08-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Barefoot here. I have tried to play with socks and shoes but my feet kept sliding off the footboard. I have more control barefoot because when I play I like to have my feet as far up the board as possible. I also squeeze the chain of my pedal between my big toe for more control and more force behind my kick.

Sticksman
08-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Definately barefoot. I perform awesome with shoes on a single pedal, but when double bassing, I have to be barefoot and heel up if I want to maintain power and clarity. Shoes and socks just get in the way for me.

wooltonboy
08-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi All,
Just thought I'd pass along this tip that works for me.
I was in a local department store here in the Toronro area, and I came across these "shoe like" things that I believe are called "water shoes" or something.
Anyway they are like a flimsy, bendable running shoe, and just slip on your foot, but have an elastic lace thing that you just pull tight and lock in place.
The beauty of these things is that they are thin, but have a nice traction rubber sole on them. They were on for $4.99 a pair!!
Just great for drumming in. I now just throw them in my accessory bag, and take them out to gigs. They let me feel the pedals, but are so lightweight, and have great grip.
I recommend them if you can find them in your area.
Cheers
Phil

Thinshells
08-28-2005, 03:50 PM
I tried to do the Thomas Lang thing with fancy shoes, but much like the martial arts, I do my best work without shoes.

However, I have not tried those kung-fu shoes, which are little more than slippers.

Coach
08-28-2005, 05:20 PM
I wear shoes all the time (adidas sambas) there so comfy and u can feel everything through them cause there a indoor soccer shoe

undertow
08-29-2005, 05:24 PM
The drummer from mudvayne trips me out..

He plays with gloves but with only socks on the double pedal. Kind of opposite of how I play shoes and no gloves but he’s damn good…

thinkintriplets
08-31-2005, 04:31 AM
I usually play with my shoes on. They're kinda like loafers, but not. Merrell's I think they're called...

Anyways, they dont have laces which rocks! They've got a good grip and are also pretty light. Good for the detailed stuff.

Marc.

fourstringdrums
08-31-2005, 05:39 AM
I play with socks. I started doing it because shoes make my legs cramp up. But now I like it because socks (or atleast light slippery shoes) allow your foot to slide on the bass pedal more, as opposed to being "glued" there. IMO it allows for more finesse and control (although I don't have either :-p

HeyMang
08-31-2005, 09:35 AM
its all about the converse all stars

NaturalRaz
09-30-2005, 06:12 PM

I use Chucks (high & low) becuase they are light...they are well ventilated and they grip the pedals really well!

anson89
10-16-2005, 01:29 AM
Well, I have a pair running Nike shoes, they're alright but I'm looking for something that's like urmm .. When you walk, you can almost feel your feet. I know socks is good but I'm looking for sneakers like that. Any comment?

Cause I have a problem like when I am barefoot, I can play heel up. With shoes, I play heel down.

Fldrummer
10-16-2005, 02:11 AM
Puma.... I've been looking to get a pair soon.

I think these are them
http://store.puma.com/pumaUSStore/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=PumaUS&category%5Fname=MensLifestyleFootwear&product%5Fid=30061601&productType=Footwear&mainCategory=Men&shopBy=style&siteid=1
http://store.puma.com/pumaUSStore/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=pumaus&category%5Fname=WomensMotorsportFootwear&product%5Fid=30046033&productType=Footwear&mainCategory=Men&shopBy=style&siteid=1

I think im feelin Tangerine/Black Coffee

anson89
10-16-2005, 02:23 AM
Wow they're not bad .. Well, they don't have my size though. I'm wearing size 14 .. Big feet, yes.

Well I was just wondering the fastest single/double bass players, what do they wear?

Stoned_Goldfish
11-20-2005, 07:25 AM
wrestling shoes work well. You can get them as cheap as about $30-35.

xkevinx
11-26-2005, 11:27 PM
this is likely all a matter of personal preference but...

what shoes do people find are best for playing quickly on the bass drum? i've always played with no shoes, just socks. i've also played with a double bass pedal for a long time, and i think i used this as a substitute for getting good speed in the individual feet. i head that some drummers (dave weckl and others) use dance shoes when they're playing, because they get good grip but are very light. i saw a thomas lang dvd and he was wearing light puma shoes. I think if i had some grip on the pedal i'd be able to get more speed and control, but my bulky skate shoes just slow me down. any advice?

Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan
11-27-2005, 01:12 AM
this is likely all a matter of personal preference but...

what shoes do people find are best for playing quickly on the bass drum? i've always played with no shoes, just socks. i've also played with a double bass pedal for a long time, and i think i used this as a substitute for getting good speed in the individual feet. i head that some drummers (dave weckl and others) use dance shoes when they're playing, because they get good grip but are very light. i saw a thomas lang dvd and he was wearing light puma shoes. I think if i had some grip on the pedal i'd be able to get more speed and control, but my bulky skate shoes just slow me down. any advice?
The only preference I have is that I do not really like playing without shoes. I have tried light shoes and everything up to heavy boots without noticing a huge difference. It may be that I never had fast enough feet that those extra 10% really showed, though.

hanman
11-27-2005, 03:26 AM
I find that if you get shoes that are too heavy and try to do drags, or ruffs, whichever you prefer, on the bass drum that is dman near impossible for the first while, then you get used to it --- sort of like a drum weight.
I have not found a good shoe for drumming yet, but i find bare feet works well (Rick Allen does it), but drumming in socks is the shits.

hanman
11-27-2005, 03:26 AM
I find that if you get shoes that are too heavy and try to do drags, or ruffs, whichever you prefer, on the bass drum that is dman near impossible for the first while, then you get used to it --- sort of like a drum weight.
I have not found a good shoe for drumming yet, but i find bare feet works well (Rick Allen does it), but drumming in socks is the shits.

larlev
11-27-2005, 03:45 AM
I used to play with wrestling shoes.....light and tacky....now I find barefoot works best...

Latin Groover
11-27-2005, 04:47 AM
i used 2 prac in bare feet but found i didnt have much control to do speed bcause i didnt have much weight on the pedal. Bare feet is the lightest possible way to go, but i rekon that its too lite. I wear skate shoes(Globe CT IV) if ne1's wonderering and thats fine, but at skool we hav to wear skool shoes which suks but i dont feel ne diff, but i prefer playing in my skate shoes.

Will-Myster
11-27-2005, 05:02 AM
When I practis I play in my socks, according to me Drums are in my front room. But at gigs or playing at chruch I wear shoes somtimes. If I'm doing Tom triplets and such, I'll tend to play in my socks. Its easier to work with then my Skate Shoes.

Will

jangus
11-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Wow. Coincidence. Just today I found how much better shoes feel for me. I usually just play with socks, because my drums and are in my house and I'm not wearing shoes. But today I happened to have shoes on when I sat down and MAN, it felt GREAT. I feel like I have more control over the pedal, better grip. I wear low-top converse all-stars, which are basically a layer of canvas, so its pretty dang light.

aahznightsky
11-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Usually I play barefoot at home, but when im outside of the house (or sometimes inside for extra fun!), I play with Converse low tops. They're plenty flexible and light to still give you control over the pedal, but that sole still helps get a little extra ooomph outof your kick... when you want it to.

davodi74
12-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Hello, my fellow drum-geeks.
I am going to get some shoes for the drums and I am thinking of Puma's or Nike running shoes. What do you suggest of the two? Do you have any other models? My parents said they wont spend more than $40.

http://www.yanix.co.uk/shoe-stop/puma/images/black-white.jpg

Johnny_Stacks
12-18-2005, 03:10 AM
Get a flat insoled shoe. I think these are the best type of shoe for drumming. It lets you feel the pedal easlily and you can get good speed with a flat footed shoe. For example: an old pair of Converses. ( or new pair, whitch are called one star shoes. ) Whitch i belive are around 40$ to buy new! I know alot of drummers who wear converses. Also Jojo Mayer wears these to!!

- John

burnthehero
12-18-2005, 03:17 AM
I wear Chuck Taylor's when I play and they work fine. The flat, heavy sole makes it a great drumming shoe IMO.

jbusbee87
12-18-2005, 04:16 AM
I wear wrestling shoes without having the top real tight. This works better than anything else I have worn; next to no shoes with a towel oever the pedals.

davodi74
12-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Yeah, I checked out the Chuck's and the sole isn't 'bendy' enough for me. I saw some wrestling shoes also; I'll try those out tomorrow.

Pete Stoltman
12-18-2005, 05:37 AM
Interesting topic. I played so many years in dress shoes that when I tried any kind of athletic shoe they felt really weird to me. Something comfy about being able to control the slide of the foot with leather on the pedals. I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

Ramsh
12-18-2005, 11:07 PM
only socks, my favourite are white socks :)

< Taylor Made >
12-29-2005, 11:06 PM
usually with socks, but when i wear shoes i prefer wearing light, thin ones, like the vans in my avatar.

franklinj
12-29-2005, 11:25 PM
Those really bendable Nike shoes might be a good thing to check out. They have really thin, extremely bendable soles. Theyre pretty durable too, since theyre made for running.

DrumProgressive
12-29-2005, 11:38 PM
A pair of socks with some anti-slip stuff on them works great for me. Ur feet also don't get cold that way.

Slayer_metal_head
12-30-2005, 03:19 AM
Drum progressive has got it down i use bare feet but my feett do get cold. and my new pearl pedal has more metal on the the pedal so my feet get colder than before good thing i got my base bord heater near my throne i just swivel aroud and warm up my feet ;)

drummercraig
12-31-2005, 12:50 PM
playing bare foot is not very nice for me, its a feeble excuse, but the bass pedal is cold!! so i play in socks, playing in socks is so much easier i feel relaxed, if it wasnt cold, i wud play in bare foot. ne1 no of a heated bass pedal????????

Perky
01-11-2006, 08:35 AM
I hear they are much better than playing in dress shoes

01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I hear they are much better than playing in dress shoes
The notion of a dedicated drum shoe has always sounded a little bit like a racket to me. How about a special drumming shirt, or underpants specially padded for drum throne comfort? Nah, play in something relatively light that feels comfortable. Sneakers fit the bill as far as I am concerned. No shoe will replace good technique, and even a clunky shoe can't hide good technique. Cheers, DPS

incubotic
01-11-2006, 04:29 PM
i prefer light weight pumas

kzdruma
01-11-2006, 05:30 PM
I wouldnt want to change every time I play. I would thing my technique would have to change along with my shoes. Not a good idea, in my opinion.

bersoy
01-11-2006, 08:30 PM
What kind of shoes to wear to play bass drum? I am thinking cycling(bike) shoes. Does it make sense?

mlehnertz
01-11-2006, 08:34 PM
I guess it would all depend how far I had to march with said bass drum. I remember doing a 7 mile parade carring quads (heavier than a bass drum) and I wish I had some cross trainers on. I'd suggest a comfortable shoe. Make sure it breathes too.

Or are talking about drum set? I play barefooted or with socks. I'd bet something like ballet shoes would be good. People might look at you funny, but...

What kind of shoes to wear to play bass drum? I am thinking cycling(bike) shoes. Does it make sense?

Níall (Neil)
01-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Any shoes should do man.
maybe if you have big skateing shoes that are like boats and are open maybe bot, but any runner of sneaker should do grand

Slayer_metal_head
01-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Bare foot but sometimes my pedal gets cold so my feet get cold as well so i put socks on but i am not as fast i have only played shoes on a gig ad i wasnt really paying attention to my shoes ! lol

Drummerboy3940
01-12-2006, 04:11 AM
My parents have never allowed shoes in the house so I had no choice but to play in socks. You have more freedom without shoes.

tymile
01-25-2006, 10:23 PM
i play a lot of double bass in my band at shows and at home.

i think its all a matter of preference... whichever lets you have more control and speed and whatever. the only thing i find is that, if i dont wear shoes, sometimes when im playing really fast, the back of the beaters hit the top of my feet, and not only does it throw me off a little, but its pretty damn painful.

personally, i like to wear shoes. i doubt it matters that much though, its definitely a matter of preference.

hardhitter
01-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Does it make a difference if you use bare feet, socks or your shoes when you're playing doublebass?

'Cause I usually practice with my socks on, and so I was just wondering if I play at someone's gig... will I mess up because I would have to wear my shoes for some reason or somethin? lol

ThaNks, Tom.

They don't make you wear shoes at a gig ! Thats all up to you. no one is even going to see your feet really ( oh ya that other drummer there will !! There every where you play ) . I wear and swimming shoe thing . I don't know what there called. There not really a shoe but there really thin. I also like to wear wrestling shoes .

NouveauCliche
01-25-2006, 11:14 PM
They don't make you wear shoes at a gig !

There's exceptions to that...a lot of exceptions actually. Wedding are a given, you don't want to wear your socks there. I've been on more than a few gigs, especially are nicer places, where "nice" dress was required. While there wasn't a uniform and we weren't in tux's, going barefoot would have been a total faux pas for sure. It just depends on the gig...but most places like bars and clubs wouldn't mind for sure.

A lot of it is personal style too...I'd feel stupid wearing some nice slacks and a cool shirt maybe even a tie and then playing with shoes. Plus I'm just NOT comfotable playing with socks...no clue why but I've always felt more control with some kind of shoes on.

In the end it's just what you're comfortable with and what the gig requires. If you're going to have to wear shoes...try some Converse Chucks or something with a thin sole.

hardhitter
01-25-2006, 11:48 PM
ya I see what you are saying ! I really didn't think about that. I don't play them so I really didn't think about that. Sorry .

I guess you would have to ask the question where are you going to be playing at? Bars wedding jazz clubs etc.?

PIPER561
01-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Addidas Samba's for me. Lightweight, and very comfortable.

dawg
01-26-2006, 02:46 AM
obviously a formal gathering like weddings or a swank club say where your're on,say a jazz gig,that's dress clothes/ shoe time...but a rock gig at a beach bar in summertime..hey,man WHATEVER I CAN GET AWAY WITH...that means barefeet,shorts and tank tops!

CHASEdrummer.
01-26-2006, 02:56 AM
bare feet all the time...you gotta FEEL your instrument, not just bash its brains out.
cheers

Roo
01-26-2006, 03:00 AM
if you play a dw pedal, better make it shoes if you're gonna be playing a while. There's huge ridges in my DW 7000 double kick pedal that kill the feet, that's their only downfall, even if they're supposed to grip.

aahznightsky
01-26-2006, 03:30 AM
i coulda sworn this thread was in the archives

rendezvous_drummer
01-26-2006, 07:50 AM
how does converse shoes work with bass? I wanna get a pair of prestos but they dont come in my size. But i do play with socks or bare feet.

LumberjackIvan
01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
I use socks. Even at gigs I take off my shoe when I sit down at my kit. I don't have smelly feet or anything so no one minds. Plus, you can't see my feet behind the kick. As for why, well, I practice without shoes. And shoes usually add an inch or two to the bottom of your feet so it makes it feel wierd for me. I can play with shoes, I just don't think as well.

DogBreath
01-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Wtf? I started this thread. Howcome it looks like Edward made this thread? ... I posted this thread in the afternoon and when to check on it the next couple of hours after playing a bit of drums, and there was hundreds of replies, I was woah! and then i realized that someone else looked like they made the thread?? thats realy annoying.
You started a new thread without bothering to use the search button to see whether or not the topic was already being discussed. It turns out that a thread on the subject already existed, so a Moderator merged the threads. That way anyone interested in the subject can read everything about it in one place. Sorry if that annoys you.

zildjian_dude101
01-26-2006, 07:37 PM
how does converse shoes work with bass? I wanna get a pair of prestos but they dont come in my size. But i do play with socks or bare feet.

I play in Hightop Chucks. Very light with good grip, and they don't restrain your ankle movement, even though it sounds like they would.

east
01-26-2006, 07:58 PM
I used to use an Iron Cobra and I always wore bare feet whenever I used it, that was until I noticed a build of +jam+ between the Tama logo on the footboard, now that I got a new Eliminator pedal I wear socks at minimum :)

matt949
01-26-2006, 08:09 PM
I liek to play in socks cause its not painfull on the foot but you still get a good feel, but sometimes my axis pedal decided the logo wants to destroy my socks. so now i have holes in mopsty my socks. so i usually play in my vans slip-ons now.

01-26-2006, 08:21 PM
I liek to play in socks cause its not painfull on the foot but you still get a good feel, but sometimes my axis pedal decided the logo wants to destroy my socks. so now i have holes in mopsty my socks. so i usually play in my vans slip-ons now.
Maybe use leather reinforced socks?

blu
01-26-2006, 08:33 PM
aqua sox baby!!!!!!!

Royman27
01-26-2006, 09:06 PM
I'd like to sing a lil' tune for all you sock lovers out there.... HmmmHmmHmmmm.... MEE MEEE MAAA MOOO MIIIIIMOOHHH.....*cough* *cough*... Black socks, they never get dirty, the longer you wear them, the blacker they get. Some day, I think I will launder them, but something keeps telling me, "don't do it yet", not yet, not yet, not yet, not YEEETTTT!!!!

Thank you, thank you.

Nizza594
01-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Barefoot all the way! Or socks are ok too. Im still yet to find any pair of shoes that are comfortable to play in. Tried playing in my timberland boots a few times, literally could not feel the pedal!

Guinness
01-26-2006, 10:45 PM
I've had the best luck with Vans skateboard shoes, I don't know what it is, but it makes it a heck of a lot easier. Much better feel.

Jeff Almeyda
01-27-2006, 08:46 AM
I tried barefoot for a while and it wasn't too bad. It did make me feel like a hillbilly though.

Stu_Strib
01-27-2006, 12:51 PM
If I have to be dressed up, then its thin soled black leather dress shoes. If not, its my Vans. An interesting phenomena is to play with Birks on (the kind with no heel strap). They tend to really force you to play with correct technique...The sandal kind of counter-levers the pedal...weird, but just try to visualize it..

Alex
01-28-2006, 04:45 PM
I like socks, cause I feel like there is less weight on my foot. I can feel the pedal beneeth me, and can control it bettter.

PdoubleE
01-28-2006, 08:33 PM
I like just wearing my socks. Its cold here and when i put my barefoot on my pedals it Really annoys me!!!

jackothedrummer1
01-29-2006, 06:18 AM
I favor socks. I'd like to use socks with grip, but I have not bought any yet. I used to go barefoot but I ripped the end of my toe off twice thanks to the double chain and me learning heel-toe technique (before I knew the heel didn't HAVE to hit the footboard). I like shoes too, but not dress shoes. Too slick, I have to have a little grip if I have a extra space between my foot and the pedal.

Sticksman
01-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Socks all the way. I stopped playing with shoes when I started getting good and started honing my technique and posture. I found out I had better control and more dynamic potential when I drummed without any shoes. I don't like being barefoot because my DW 7002 just feels weird on my feet, so... yeah. I've grown quite fond of and accustomed to regular socks.

And I might add that they're perfect for double bassing 16th notes.

Ronnie
01-31-2006, 04:50 AM
I'm very surprised that no one failed to mention jeff pocoro(the master) from his video playing in cowboy boots. i wear them quite often so i am used to the feel. the slick bottom helps with speed. but it takes some getting used to. my puma's have been a favorite lately.

ECVail
02-03-2006, 06:50 AM
This one is for Bonham to the Moon:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/8668895/c/38636.html

neophyte
02-03-2006, 12:11 PM
i play bare feet and i feel that i should stop this and start playing with socks because iam thinking of learning kickslide technique and socks help lot in kickslide technique

averypoordrummer
02-03-2006, 05:45 PM
puma mostros! perfect in every respect, flexible as well, and fantastic grip.

Toothbrush
02-03-2006, 08:08 PM
I like the normal socks best

Drummer Karl
02-03-2006, 08:26 PM
I will always play with my house shoes if I can!!! I love them...

TitanSound
02-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Puma TX-3's for me.

http://www.zappos.com/images/964/7152964/1733-116955-d.jpg

foursticks
02-03-2006, 09:18 PM
stripey socks all the way!

Blazer
02-03-2006, 09:35 PM
man you guys don't know where it's at, a good ol' pair of comfy moccosins are the best.

Sonor Drummer
02-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I like to play in my bare feet, Or my house slippers.

stick platinum
02-03-2006, 09:48 PM
didn't Dave Weckl and Vic Firth offer some shoes some years back

luke-e-p
02-04-2006, 10:28 AM
I get sweaty feet which slip around the plate so i wear thin socks, dont really care which.

paradiddle
02-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Ever tried getting off a drum kit when there's broken glass around it and you don't have any shoes on?

LOL! :)

Where are you playing, the Double Deuce?

I usually go barefoot but yeah, it can be a bit awkward so I'm going to take a look at the Puma' Cat's / Adidas Samba's mentioned in this thread.

drummer@work
02-04-2006, 05:21 PM
i play with my adio's always there is not one time i haven't played without them

shuko
02-05-2006, 07:51 AM
after a while when i get all sweaty my foot slips... i dont like that. any type of shoes just like any type of sticks. you adapt.

Samf
02-06-2006, 06:16 PM
I would suggest Puma Cats. They are very light and flat with a great sole (non-slip) These are almost like playing in socks. Cost is around $60.00 I found a deal buy one get one free.
http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=6396LzzZG&i=266781 (http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=6396LzzZG&i=266781)

playplayplay
02-06-2006, 06:36 PM
I find that wearing shoes gives me a harder bass drum sound, and where I play, (cold garage) if I diddnt put shoes on, my feet would freeze, you guys are so lucky, wish I had a warm place to practise, probly still put shoes on though!

kacperivo
02-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Bare feet, socks??? Man, ask your band first :D. If you don't sweat too much while playing, it's ok, otherwise shoes will do man ;).

tomondrums
02-07-2006, 11:48 AM
i use either turbo sport trainers or
CONVERSE ALLSTAR.

IronCobraPTW
02-18-2006, 06:09 PM
shoes i think they give me better rebound and control

Drummerofpain
02-19-2006, 09:07 PM
hi

i have a question do you have an basix double foor ???

Drummerofpain
02-19-2006, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=Bernhard]I took this thread from OFF TOPIC to GEAR.

do you play the basix double bass ???

Class A Drummer
02-19-2006, 09:30 PM
I play barefoot, socks, and with shoes. Whatever im wearing really.

tomgrosset
02-20-2006, 07:07 AM
I play barefoot, socks, and with shoes. Whatever im wearing really.

Yeah same here. It really doesnt matter to me.
Its all in the ankle muscle really, its nothing really to do with if your wearing socks or shoes or being barefoot. At least for me it isn't.

radiofriendlyunitshifter
02-20-2006, 07:34 PM
i'm most comfortable in sneakers, probably least comfortable in socks.

rendezvous_drummer
02-21-2006, 05:16 AM
I bought a pair of converse shoes and i'll never wear anything else again! I notice i can play alot better with these shoes.

jollymosher
02-21-2006, 06:21 AM
chucks work well if you keep them real real loose around the ankles!

someonelse
02-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Sneakers work best for me, sometimes i play in sandals . I can't play very well barefoot; i guess i don't get as much force as i do while wearing shoes.

Wile E. Coyote
02-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Just something comfortable and not embarrasing when you get out of the set! I bet for something black (sneakers or skate shoes are best - I love Vans). But it's good to be able to play with anything since there are some kinds of shoes you can't wear when you're in a suit for example...

rendezvous_drummer
02-23-2006, 01:36 AM
Just something comfortable and not embarrasing when you get out of the set! I bet for something black (sneakers or skate shoes are best - I love Vans). But it's good to be able to play with anything since there are some kinds of shoes you can't wear when you're in a suit for example...

It's always fun to be embarrased! Just don't walk out with cowboy boots, you'll for sure be egged.

Wile E. Coyote
02-23-2006, 02:48 PM
It's always fun to be embarrased! Just don't walk out with cowboy boots, you'll for sure be egged.
Any country drummer to answer that??? lol

larrylover
03-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Maybe this is on topic but, I've learn w/out shoes, and now I just can't play nearly as well with them. I've gotten doubles, triples, and 4's down w/out shoes, and with them i can hardly do singles! (Not heel-toe mind you)

I think its because I can't literally use my toes... or something.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE THE SAME ISSUE?

deltadrummer1
03-13-2006, 07:18 AM
That's odd to me because I can't play WITHOUT shoes. I feel more confident and play better with shoes or even socks on. No barefoot.

Led Opeth
03-13-2006, 08:32 AM
im gonna buy a pair of puma speed cats (preferably the ferrari ones..maybe malmsteens theory works? lol)....i tried them on at footlocker...and they are the lightest shoes ive ever worn besides converse, but these feel better because they are nice and tight on your feet without choking em..if that makes any sence

brian_a_guzman
03-13-2006, 06:05 PM
any light tight fitting sneaker is good for me. i have a pair of adidas that look similar to the ones steve gadd has.

pcmckay
03-14-2006, 07:42 AM
I played barefoot for years, but the arches of my feet started to hurt when I played. Lately I started playing with Converse All Stars hightops in black, and they are very comfortable. I can still feel the pedal under my foot, but I sometimes just play in my socks.

ReX
03-15-2006, 04:19 AM
Galoshes. The black rubber ones that go up about mid-shin, with four metal clasps. If you're over 35 or so, you'll remember them. Great retro look, great retro feel.

TonKpilS_657
03-15-2006, 04:53 AM

wanna say that to Roy Hanes? he wears boots, but hes never been egged. lol.

anyway, i prefer shoes. Aisics are what i usually wear....

jollymosher
03-15-2006, 05:10 AM
reboks, or nike! just well fitting running shoes.

samthebeat
03-17-2006, 04:21 PM
I dont think it matters, allthough it is strange when you get a new pair of trainers and you play in them the fisrt time. Kinda like getting a new set of the same sticks out of the bag after using a batterered pair for ages.

Wierd

harryconway
03-18-2006, 02:06 AM
Chuck Taylor's rule.

Zardoz
03-18-2006, 04:49 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned D.B. Drum Shoes. (http://www.drumshoes.com/) They're pretty cheap. Also, there's a familiar name in the "artist" section. I'll pick a pair up sometime and let you guys know how they are.

kennyg60506
03-18-2006, 06:21 AM
I like to play in anything that has a rubber soul. My NB walking shoes are doing fine for now. I have heard that Wrestling shoes are good, give you a good "feel" on the pedals.

Leadfoot
03-18-2006, 08:17 AM
I once knew a guy who used to tape his big toe to his 2nd toe, & tape his index finger to his middle finger & then put on little gloves or he "just couldn't possibly play". What a dufus, for cryin' out loud just sit down & play or give it up.

drumslaveDave
03-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Learned in barefeet now I play only with Nikes on me feet. Whatever makes YOU comfortable.

ReX
03-19-2006, 02:26 AM
Four inch stilleto heels, size 11.

andrew_carter
03-19-2006, 03:04 AM
I will usually take my shoes off for rehearsals and informal gigs, but when I have to wear shoes I prefer Dunlop Volleys (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/16/1073878021639.html?from=storyrhs). I can't believe nobody has mentioned these yet. They're really flexible, provide just the right amount of grip, and cost about $25 AUD. They've become a real icon here, and date back to 1939! Maybe it's just an Australian thing?

Andrew

a1DrummerT
03-19-2006, 09:18 AM
What shoes have the best grip for the bass drum pedal?

i play in mockasins*(spelling) or in slip on dress shoes..because the aren't clunky but they put some power behind your foot.

SeansterTheMonster
03-19-2006, 09:23 AM
it doesnt matter what you play in its all in your head promise! just dont think about it...PLAY!

a1DrummerT
03-19-2006, 09:27 AM

im not a heavy hitter although i can and do just not every hit...i like haveing some mass on my feet to play.

figure_02
03-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Before I used an crappy Maxtone dualpedal, the best way to go there was barefoot, but now, when Im using a Iron Cobra Power Glide pedal, barefott just wont work, i dont get the speed, control or power i get while using shoes.

hookedup
03-22-2006, 01:50 AM
I usually wore my running shoes, but one night I wore my Chucks to a Gwar show and they got forever-stained with gallongs of fake blood. Now they're the only things that work for me.

Hackanut
03-23-2006, 02:07 AM
I use shoes with almost no traction since I use slide technique. I just bought a pair of leather loafers from walmart and they are the best shoes for slide technique I've ever seen/had! I love em

Corey

hardhitter
03-27-2006, 04:52 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/gsxr1000extreme/drums/hl608_9390.jpg

I just got these In all black.There ASICS tigers. I have to say they are the best I have gotten yet to play in. I was using Pumas. These are the lightest shoes I could find.

ironhorsenva
03-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Have tried bare feet, socks, and all sorts of shoes. I play a lot of double bass stuff, using Axis longboards and Iron Cobras. I like the New Balance 608 or 609's, but only after the soles are about worn slap out from normal use. Someone suggested dancing shoes, but I have never really gotten a pair to try. I take the excess shoe laces and run them under the laces, working them down to towards the toe, or else at the worst moment, a beater will almost certainly catch a loop and really put me into a train wreck.

beatsMcGee
03-27-2006, 10:19 PM
i prefer shoes, but i can play with socks on im sure and probably bare but i dont see the benefits its just what ever your used to

ventor
03-28-2006, 07:55 AM
I can imagine that it works well with Chucks, but at home I still play with socks. A crazy friend who also plays (oh, and he CAN play) thinks that the socks his grandma manufactured for him are the only materials adequate for the feet of a drummer :-) so I asked him if I would also get a pair for christmas, didn´t see anything so far.
But when it´s a gig I use normal sneakers, they do as far as I think...

rendezvous_drummer
03-28-2006, 07:57 AM
i came home from work one day, and we have to wear dress shoes, so i had little time to play drums so i rushed onto the kit and found that i played alot better with these shoes one. DRESS SHOES ARE THE FUTURE!

eastcoast1591
03-28-2006, 11:34 PM
I like to wear a pair of old, maybe slightly small but really broken in skate shoes. my favorites are my completely trashed eS PJ ladds... theyre perfect

drumkid91
05-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Hey...
I've notised that some of the best drummers here on this site plays with their shoes on...
I can't understand how they can play so great... Especially Jojo Mayer.. How does he do that?? Personally I can't play with my shoes on....

If anyone agrees, please reply....

Afrolicious
05-14-2006, 04:13 PM
My playing doesn't get any better if I'm not wearing shoes, at least that's what I think, so I don't see a real problem in playing with shoes. Of course it's a bit harder to have the right feel for the pedals but once you got it it's ok.

NUTHA JASON
05-14-2006, 04:41 PM
there's a thread somewhere about this and i'll merge them later on.

all i can say is that i hate playing in socks or barefeet. i use light thin shoes like rock climbing or bowling shoes. at gigs you have to have shoes on, there's dirty glass everywhere. after the set you also want to get off the stage with everyone else, not be sitting there putting shoes on while the rest of the guys are backsatge slapping eachother's backs.

j

DrumProgressive
05-14-2006, 04:45 PM
I got aother view on that jason. I played a gig last saturday, and personally i really cant get the speed needed on my double bass with shoes on so i just play on socks. I just slipped my shoes next to my hihat and after the gig i slipped them back on, of course i wear loose "skater" shoes so i takes max 10 seconds to put them back on.

NUTHA JASON
05-14-2006, 05:55 PM
i also noticed that nico mcbrain drums barefoot.
matter of taste i guess...what you are used to.

j

drumkid91
05-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the reply guys!! :D

burnthehero
05-14-2006, 08:02 PM
There are just as many incredible drummers out there that play barefoot. Another name to add to the list is Bobby Jarzombek. For me, chuck taylor's have always worked the best. In fact, I think that's what JoJo wears when he plays, too.

Pete Stoltman
05-15-2006, 06:44 AM
I wear shoes but put them on the wrong feet.

drummer625
05-15-2006, 06:56 AM
I was about to post a thread like this because I don't understand how they can play with shoes it juust feels really comfortable...I do exactly what DrumProgressive does. During gigs I put my shoes next to my hihat and I wear loose shoes so I can Put them on fast

rendezvous_drummer
05-15-2006, 07:21 AM
i hate barefeet cause whenever i play for a long time, the footboard sticks to the soles of my feet so i can't tap the pedal to play fast cause it's always sticking. Socks is okay but i prefer shoes that are snug like bowling shoes or the shoes that puma have.

Cephalic
05-15-2006, 07:46 AM
I usually practice at home with socks (I don't wear shoes walking around my house) and with shoes anywhere else (band practice, gig, school, etc.).

Actually, I think I prefer wearing shoes, but it really doesn't matter much to me.

tentpole
05-15-2006, 07:53 AM
I wear shoes but put them on the wrong feet.
why?.............................................. ..........

harryconway
05-15-2006, 07:53 AM
It's whatever you're comfortable with. I know one cat who drums in Cowboy boots and another wears work boots. I like Chuck Taylors myself.

NUTHA JASON
05-15-2006, 08:42 AM
on the led zep video i saw bonham at the french tv thing wearing cowboy boots.

!

j

bobie2000
05-15-2006, 10:41 AM
finally, other people who agree with me, i cant satnd playing with shoes on, i cant get the right feel on the bass durm with shoes on, every drummer i know, says that im crazy for not wearing shoes, but now i know theres other people as well as me

beatsMcGee
05-15-2006, 05:04 PM
i wear shoes and i prefer shoes to no shoes, but ! i feel if you have really mastered the pedal you can play it any way... i have a friend that can play those awesome Gospel Chops style fills no matter what he has on his feet... reg shoes, socks, bare foot, or TIMBERLAND boots (all loose and undone as the kids wear em) so there ya have it, if you really have it down you can do it with clogs on !

yves
05-15-2006, 05:39 PM
I usually wear shoes.

My running shoes usually...

But, even though that is my preference, sometimes, I'll play bare sock.

When I did a showcase a couple of months ago, I was playing on a brand new kit... the pedals were pretty foreign to me. I tried it out for a minute... and found that bare sock on that pedal felt better.

About 5 years ago, I used to play in a gritty rock "biker" type band.... back then, I used to play with Snap-on workboots. (Snap-on is a brand name if any one isn't familliar with it)

They were pretty heavy, but after months of playing with them on I was pretty used to it. I could play pretty fast double bass, although not as fast as without and it certainly took more energy... stamina would have benefitted if I had played with shoes on...

Memories....

No more work boots though. Honest.

;-)

KR3
05-15-2006, 05:51 PM
I wear running shoes as well when I practice and play. I did notice that Neil Peart and Steve Smith wear dancing shoes which is something that Freddy Gruber apparently taught them.

Dave Lemonds
05-15-2006, 06:20 PM
I like wearing wrestling shoes the best. Rubber soles, no heal, just feels more natural for me.

boomboomda
05-15-2006, 07:26 PM
I like wearing wrestling shoes the best. Rubber soles, no heal, just feels more natural for me.

I second that.I feel comfy too in wrestling shoes.

Pete Stoltman
05-15-2006, 09:30 PM
why?.............................................. ..........

Just kidding. Actually I feel very awkward playing without shoes on. Frankly the best shoes for me are laced dress shoes. I love how a leather sole slides on pedals. I grew up playing in a lot of bands for formal gigs like weddings, etc. and had to wear a tux and dress shoes. I guess it's somewhat a matter of what you get used to. Even now playing bar gigs whether it's rock, jazz, etc. I still prefer to wear a "dress shoe".

T.Underhill
05-15-2006, 09:36 PM
I used to play barefoot years ago but I was tired of injuring myself and answering people's questions about playing barefoot. Seriously, everyone had to ask me about it. I liked the feel and control of it but as my equipment changed, the blood shed increased. Playing in shoes is no prob for me but they have to be a thin, light, and grippy shoe, no boots or bulky sports shoes.

Cephalic
05-15-2006, 09:59 PM
I second that.I feel comfy too in wrestling shoes.

My guitarist and bassit were telling me about wrestling shoes. I guess my guitarist has a pair and he thought they'd be great for double bass (and my bassist tried them).

I never bothered with them. I really doubt it'd affect my playing so drastically that it matters. Plus, my shoes are comfy. :)

balboa
05-17-2006, 08:02 PM
for about 9 years i played with just socks on, or even just went bare foot. Peart explains on his "work in progress" video how he plays with dancing shoes/slippers. recently i found i can get a much better (even) double bass triplet feel or even just single rolls. I think to each his own when it comes to this. I used to view playing with shoes on like playing with gloves, but recently had a change of heart

pnwelliott1
05-18-2006, 05:40 AM
I have these socks that have no treads to i can do heel toe and not hurt my big toe.
Socks only makes my nails bleed

drummerern
05-18-2006, 06:09 AM
i've gotten used to playing with etnies (skate shoe brand) on...then again they are one of the most comfortable shoes i've ever had, i can do my triplets in them so i'm happy...i cwcan't play barefoot...pedals stick to my feets.

tentpole
05-18-2006, 07:39 AM
I like anything pretty much.I like wearing shoes the most though.It just feels like I have more control.I play heel down so that might be something.

Crazy
05-18-2006, 05:39 PM
I prefer with no shoes I get a better feel of the pedal + it's easier for me to do the heel toe without shoes......I don't need to twist my leg to get the heel in there

tmc
05-18-2006, 06:03 PM
I prefer playing barefoot, but I like NJs idea of using rock-climbing shoes. I don't gig yet, though, and thankfully there's no broken glass in my familyroom.

-Michael

Melvin
05-18-2006, 10:55 PM
I used to play barefoot but recently I played with shoes and dicovered that it was way better for me. I use the thinnest shoes I have. I have a special pair of shoes to play because I cant play with other shoes because of the feel.

deltadrummer1
05-19-2006, 01:55 AM
I don't like playing barefoot. I use the slide alot and whenever i'm barefoot...I usually chip a toenail off from slamming it into the chain : (

With shoes on I play better and with more confidence.

mikei
05-19-2006, 02:09 AM
I tried playing barefoot. It was really awkward.

I wonder if I just invested a couple weeks with it if it would end up being better.

Melvin
05-19-2006, 04:56 AM
Check this out. This are my special drumming shoes. I use them to play. They are very very thin and let you slide just perfectly. The pic is blurry but you can see what I'm talking about, and these shoes are very cheap also!

jamsjr44
05-19-2006, 06:13 PM
I used to play with sneakers then switched to socks because when I praticed I never really wear shoes in my house. I recently just started experimenting with going barefoot and found I have even better control and feel, but still not so sure I want to play barefoot. I am looking for a very light thin shoe now though, because socks tend to make my feet slide. It comes down to what you really prefer.

Oldie
05-19-2006, 06:45 PM
I found a pair of Nike Aqua socks, IMO the best shoes for drumming. It's soft, light and have a thin rubber sole. The shoe is made for riversports like rafting etc.

/frode

Keagan
05-19-2006, 07:18 PM
I can't stand not playing with shoes on, never could, guess it's a feel thing. It's all what you get used to I guess, I mean look at Terry Bozzio, he plays amazing stuff with his feet but he has always worn big bulky boots, once you get used to something, its hard to change.

On The Real
05-21-2006, 05:23 AM
Moccasins.

By far the best thing to wear on your feet while drumming. You can get them in hard sole if you normally wear shoes or soft sole if you normally wear socks. You can pick up a pair at walgreens for under $10.

You dont have anything to worry about at gigs, and you still have a good feel and grip for the bass pedals.

On top of that, it gives you STEEZ.

Cabazon
05-21-2006, 05:31 AM
I'm generally barefoot most of my life, so I've grown used to doing everything barefoot, including drumming. I can play with shoes on, but I prefer barefoot.
I hate just socks.

secondXheartbeat
05-21-2006, 05:37 AM
holy twenty characters batman!

use pumas

larlev
05-21-2006, 10:09 AM
I usually wear these.....

pimp_my_RIDE
05-21-2006, 10:12 PM
It really makes no diff to my playing, i can play in anything.

larlev
05-21-2006, 10:36 PM
It really makes no diff to my playing, i can play in anything.

Oh yeah........look at above pic......I'll send you a pair......LMAO

Henry II
05-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Hey...
I've notised that some of the best drummers here on this site plays with their shoes on...
I can't understand how they can play so great... Especially Jojo Mayer.. How does he do that?? Personally I can't play with my shoes on....

If anyone agrees, please reply....

It's a matter of getting used to playing with shoes. You'll find, with some practice and just getting used to it, it doesn't really matter. In fact, some shoes can actually give you a mechanical advantage.

wnnabdrummer
05-22-2006, 03:29 PM
I usually wear these.....

OMG! lmfao!

i play in just socks. i play a lot of heel toe and with any type of shoe on, i can't do it.

pimp_my_RIDE
05-22-2006, 05:49 PM
I think I will try rodeo clown shoes on, see how they affect my heel toe.(I might need longboards)

drumkid91
05-22-2006, 06:16 PM
I've started practising with shoes on, but i can't manage to do the heel-toe technique....

MOONCHILD
05-22-2006, 06:45 PM
dont you think its easier to push pedal with shoes on because of the weight

MAX ZNAEVSKY
05-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Hey, MOONCHILD, I dont think so. There's no difference if you're playing in 200-300 gr. running shoes or in socks (in my opinion). But if you're playing in cowboy boots with chains and metal horseshoes on the heels ........ it'll only help to increase the power of impact of the beater ..a little bit :-)

Max.

fijjibo
05-23-2006, 10:02 AM
i personaly wear skater style shoes when i play and somehow feel as though i can play faster double bass because they have flat soles. who else thinks this?

mase11th
05-24-2006, 12:27 AM
No shoes, never! Socks or bare feet, I actually enjoy the contours of my Pearl pedals. I get a spiritual feeling of becoming a part of the pedal and eventually the whole kit, which makes it easy to nestle into "the zone"

drumkid91
05-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Actually I'm having trouble with the heel toe because I've got pretty large feet (size 10)....

k_50
05-28-2006, 04:10 AM
It's whatever you're comfortable with. I know one cat who drums in Cowboy boots and another wears work boots. I like Chuck Taylors myself.
I think that cowboy boots are pretty good to drum in because the soles are thin and flexible, you just have to get used to the lack of grip on the pedals.
I hate drumming with my shoes off - pedals are so damn uncomfortable... my favourite drumming shoes are chuck taylors, they have it all; comfortable, flexible, grip you name it. But I can pretty much wear anything with a thin sole....

wind
05-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Years ago when i started to play drums in my bedroom i used to play just with my socks.

I couldn't wear shoes at all. Then i got a teacher you was really focused on power and

speed who told me, it is the same as driving your car, you can drive it without your

shoes, but you wont get the most out of it, since they are designed to be driven with

shoes.

The same concept applies to the kick pedals, they are designed to be played with the shoes.

I am very happy i've lost that habit. It was very unpractical. I got used to play with soft

shoes and "most important learned to concentrate on the sweet spot".

Not to mention igiene issues, when in most of the gigs you are playing with somebody else's gear.

I am not certainly opposed to that, but I am very happy i've lost that habit.

WDH_California
06-03-2006, 10:02 PM
I believe the foot will adapt to just about anything with practice. That being said, I would play barefoot all the time if I could. On most gigs, however, you must wear something. I prefer a shoe, not too heavy, with a flexible sole that doesn't have the price tag of an Italian designer model. I used to play in Capizio dance shoes and really liked them, but they've gotten expensive. Now, I usually can find an adequeate dress shoe in black or brown at Target or Pay-Less or one of those places for less than $30 USD that works just fine for the more formal gigs. For all other gigs I usually use a comfortable "Wallaby" style shoe or light tennis shoe. I still play barefoot when I can get away with it, i.e., if I can show up to the gig in flip flops.

rd4drumz
06-04-2006, 05:17 AM
I gig a lot and always take my shoes off and play in socks regaurdless of the venue. I get settled at my kit on my drum rug (safe zone) then just slip of whatever shoes I have on. Its all preference. what works for you

matt986
06-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Recently I was rocing on my drums and I realized something.....I was playing barefotfor the first time, and I had twice the control over the pedal I normally had (i'm using pearl powershifts eliminators with the red cam attached) and still maintained the power I needed. The only draw back is that the beaters throwing back against the top of your foot starts to hurt after a while....So I was curious...do you guys have a preference over socks, shoes, or barefoot?

Rohan
06-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Theres already a major multi-page thread on the exact same topic.
But me, i play with socks.

(PS. Always search)

jstorey4
06-24-2006, 06:45 PM
I think you should learn to play with all of the above. Mix it up a little so you're not locked into one particular thing. You're not going to be able to play barefoot or with socks everywhere you go. If anything, I would suggest shoes for this very reason. When you develop your playing to a professional level, it shouldn't matter what you have on your feet.

franklinj
06-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Senior members need to remember to search :)>

Anyways, I go barefoot. Its just so much easier.

Raymond Bloom
06-24-2006, 07:01 PM
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7085

for me - allways with shoes, much more controll, speed and power

XAkitAX
06-24-2006, 09:26 PM
i go with shoes or bare feet both have good grip... socks never work they always slide and stuff and its kinda uncomfortable haha

aug11th
08-31-2006, 02:08 AM
what shoes do you wear when playing drums?

drvr8
08-31-2006, 02:11 AM
NONE!! Unless I'm playing at a bar with crappy floors, then I'll wear my Chucks. I perfer playing barefoot, as I feel I have more control over the pedals. I did wear Simpson racing shoes for a while (many years ago) but they just got WAY too expensive!

cdawg_2010
08-31-2006, 02:12 AM
ones that come with a free search button:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15700&highlight=shoes

defunkt
09-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Barefeet unless I'm playing out somewhere then I'll wear skate shoes