PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Harrison here!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Gavin Harrison
02-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi DTrocks,

most of the time I use a Zildjian 20" K ride. I've got a few other Zildjian rides but the K 20 is probably the most versatile.

cheers
Gavin

ProgFron
02-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Hey Gavin,

A few questions again.

Which snaredrum do you use on Cheating the Polygraph?

The last line in My Ashes, the SAAIILLLLSSSS thingy.
Is that Steven or John singing?

Cheers,

Francis

NeuroAxis
02-19-2008, 02:56 AM
Gavin -

Is this you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNXj5a1el0&feature=related

The info mentions someone named Enzo Aguello, but it came up along with a bunch of Claudio Baglioni videos, and he plays a very similar style and setup. I think I even heard a beat specifically from one of the Musikmesse videos.

Just curious

Gavin Harrison
02-19-2008, 04:47 AM
Hi Progfo

Which snaredrum do you use on Cheating the Polygraph?

A Yamaha RC 9000 1982 14x5 birch.

The last line in My Ashes, the SAAIILLLLSSSS thingy.
Is that Steven or John singing?

I would imagine that it's Steven.

Hi NeuroAxis,

Is this you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNXj...eature=related

No it's Enzo Aguello.

cheers
Gavin

2bsticks
02-19-2008, 04:54 AM
Gavin,

I first heard of you through this forum. I enjoy your playing very much. Wish you much continued success. It's great to have someone share their time and talent with his fellow drummers on this forum.

Thanks

Pete in Boston

mixamuss
02-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Hello again Gavin,

One of my favourite PT tracks is 'So Called Friend' and there are some wonderful little fills in there that I'm trying to get my head around from the 'live' version. Two in particular are played just after the line 'What kind of friend are you...you're so cold' where (first time around) you are playing between the bell and bow of the ride/hi-hat/snare/BD, and second time around you play a flurry of beats between the ride and closed hi-hat with accents on the bell. If you are able to pintpoint the sections I'm referring to could you possibly chart how these are played for me please?

Many thanks in advance.

Gavin Harrison
02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi mixamuss,

I don't know the fills you're talking about from memory. The best chance of a good transcription is to contact Terry Branam - you'll find him a few posts back. I'd be more than happy if he were to do it.

Cheers
Gavin

Gus
02-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Hi Gavin,

My first appear in this forum. Recently i got the DROP album through Burningshed -by the way without the artwork download file- and in the last month, is the only music i hear. Incredible work. Brilliant fusion and a endless drum lesson.

As i live in Sevilla -Spain- we have a local song in a flamenco-style called "sevillanas" that goes in straight 3/4, just in the same way that the clap section in TRAINS. Gavin ¿how came that rhythmic idea..? and ¿how goes the song?, because seems to be in 12/8 with snare in 2 and 4, but if i believe the guitar sometimes goes to other place. ¿illusion?

I am that we can call "weekend drummer", but who not avoid the chance to play better, and that´s why i love your books/dvds -great job-, cause i´m learning interesting and fresh things that makes my drumming richer .

I really love the high musicality of your playing, and how tasteful you always are.

Thank you very very much for all, and my best wishes -dying for know about the new Crimson-

Rhythmically "illusioned",
Gustavo

Gavin Harrison
02-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi Gus,

we have a local song in a flamenco-style called "sevillanas" that goes in straight 3/4, just in the same way that the clap section in TRAINS. Gavin ¿how came that rhythmic idea..?

That was Steven's idea - the song was written before I joined the band.

¿how goes the song?, because seems to be in 12/8 with snare in 2 and 4, but if i believe the guitar sometimes goes to other place. ¿illusion?

This does have a kind of rhythmic illusion in it. The song is in 4/4 (with a snare on 2 & 4) but many people misunderstand the downbeat when they first hear it (me included). What appears to be the "one" is actually the "2&". When I first transcribed the song I thought the verses were 5/8 + 3/8 but when I understood it - I realised that I just got the downbeat wrong and so it's all in straight 4/4 right up to the part where the band stops and the 'clapping' section begins.

cheers
Gavin

xopethx
02-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Hey Gavin! Hope your break's going well (although i'm sure you're all keeping relatively busy)

My band is getting prepared to play some live shows (rehearsing, etc), and in order to reproduce all the additional sounds that we won't be able to play in a live environment, we're looking at in-ear systems and playing along to a click (similar to what you guys do).

I've looked at several of the Shure systems, and i expect to pay about 500 dollars for each base station (not for myself of course, no need for me to be wireless), but i'm iffy about the quality of the included earbuds. What do you prefer, and why? I probably won't be able to use the same system (since we're somewhat poor), but perhaps your advice could point us in the right direction.

I personally have a set of Shure SE310 in-ears, and i'll probably use those with a little headphone amp for monitor mix. I know you've all got that Yamaha board on the stage for mixing, we still need to figure something out for the wireless system mix.

I appreciate any advice you can give! You're a huge inspiration to me, and the rest of the members in my band.

take care
-chris

Gavin Harrison
02-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi xopethx,

here's my story with IEM.
When PT decided to start using 'in ear monitoring' (IEM) we went to a place in London to have some custom fitted molds made - and the idea was to buy the best ones available (Ultimate Ears). When we got there the guy talked us out of getting the uber expensive ones and go for the custom molds that will house any generic walkman type headphone buds. When I got them (a couple of weeks later) I was disappointed by the lack of quality of the sound. ALL the high frequencies were missing due to the fact that the ear buds don't point directly down your ear canal. That meant that I struggled to hear the cymbals/hi hat etc...BUT as a strange side effect to that - my ears didn't ring anymore (in a tinnitus way)..which was REALLY GOOD.
So I turned the overhead mics up pretty high in my mix to try to compensate. This is a sound I've got used to. It's not a great sound but I can hear the drum frequencies up to a mid range acoustically - and the highs are accentuated through the headphones.

Curiosity got the better of me last year so I went and got the uber expensive Ultimate Ears UE10's fitted (cost just over $1000). They sound amazing - but I found them very hard work because they cut out SO much of the outside sound you can't even have a conversation with someone standing right next to you. So you feel VERY cut off and then totally reliant on the mics...which is fine - but I couldn't tell how loud the headphones were and became scared at turning them up too much and damaging my ears.
Plus I couldn't really hear my drums acoustically at all - and (probably because I've been playing for so many years) found it to disconcerting. I like to feel the drums nice and loud (and 'in my face') and when I had the UE10's up that loud - my ears would start to ring again. Plus I found I was hitting the drums too hard to try to get that feeling back of the drums hitting me directly in the face.

I know there are UE7's which have holes in them to allow outside sounds to bleed through, but I've got used to my original headphones now and I actually like the fact that my ears don't ring anymore due to the lack of high frequencies. Also I deliberately take off all the high frequencies of my click sounds (anything above about 7khz is off).

I've got to add to all that - if you're using IEM and don't carry your own monitor desk with you - you can be in for a pretty rough ride using the 'in house' monitor desk and engineer who doesn't know your music.

We quickly gave up with wireless packs. All of us go hard wired. It sounds better, has no interference and no battery related problems. We're not the kind of performers who go running all over the stage anyway.

My UE10's are unbelievably good for listening to my iPod on a plane trip though.

Cheers
Gavin

Terry Branam
02-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Hello again Gavin,

One of my favourite PT tracks is 'So Called Friend' and there are some wonderful little fills in there that I'm trying to get my head around from the 'live' version. Two in particular are played just after the line 'What kind of friend are you...you're so cold' where (first time around) you are playing between the bell and bow of the ride/hi-hat/snare/BD, and second time around you play a flurry of beats between the ride and closed hi-hat with accents on the bell. If you are able to pintpoint the sections I'm referring to could you possibly chart how these are played for me please?

Many thanks in advance.

Well, I wasn't sure which version you are listening to, so I will post up two different versions. These are from the Rockpalast 2005 concert. I am also going to do the same section from the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD. I'll post those when I'm finished, so stay tuned...

Terry

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7402/scf1eh2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9233/scf2ef0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

NeuroAxis
02-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for doing this, Terry. I have always wondered about the exact sticking of those fills.

Just out of curiosity, what program do you use for notation? I have been wanting to start tabbing out some of my drum parts but haven't found a good program to use.

Thanks...

Gus
02-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi Gavin

Have you ever tried the 13" k/z hihat?.

Talking about cymbals: With the success in the forum of your ideas about custom-made splashes...Are you considering the money you´re loosing for not became into a splash-maker...? -just joking-

Best wishes

mixamuss
02-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi Terry,

Thanks for that . They are exactly what I was looking for. The version I was referring to was from 'Arriving Somewhere' but from my untrained-ear perspective I'm sure the tab will be the same.

Thanks again Terry, much appreciated.

[QUOTE=Terry B.;412137]Well, I wasn't sure which version you are listening to, so I will post up two different versions. These are from the Rockpalast 2005 concert. I am also going to do the same section from the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD. I'll post those when I'm finished, so stay tuned...

Terry

Gavin Harrison
02-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi Gus,

Have you ever tried the 13" k/z hihat?.

Yes I played them for many years in the 1990's. Very nice too.

Hi 12:5

can you tell me where the illusion in futile starts and how it works?
i cannot hear it, there are so many crazy rhythms i don't know which one^^

The whole song is in 4/4 from beginning to end - except the second bar of the chorus pattern (which is a four bar cycle) is always a 3/4 bar. Finally the bar before the outro with the big fill is one bar of 5/4. Try tapping your foot in quarter notes and count through the whole piece. It's quite a ride!!!

Which version of Futile do you have?

Cheers
Gavin

xopethx
02-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi xopethx,

here's my story with IEM.
When PT decided to start using 'in ear monitoring' (IEM) we went to a place in London to have some custom fitted molds made - and the idea was to buy the best ones available (Ultimate Ears). When we got there the guy talked us out of getting the uber expensive ones and go for the custom molds that will house any generic walkman type headphone buds. When I got them (a couple of weeks later) I was disappointed by the lack of quality of the sound. ALL the high frequencies were missing due to the fact that the ear buds don't point directly down your ear canal. That meant that I struggled to hear the cymbals/hi hat etc...BUT as a strange side effect to that - my ears didn't ring anymore (in a tinnitus way)..which was REALLY GOOD.
So I turned the overhead mics up pretty high in my mix to try to compensate. This is a sound I've got used to. It's not a great sound but I can hear the drum frequencies up to a mid range acoustically - and the highs are accentuated through the headphones.

Curiosity got the better of me last year so I went and got the uber expensive Ultimate Ears UE10's fitted (cost just over $1000). They sound amazing - but I found them very hard work because they cut out SO much of the outside sound you can't even have a conversation with someone standing right next to you. So you feel VERY cut off and then totally reliant on the mics...which is fine - but I couldn't tell how loud the headphones were and became scared at turning them up too much and damaging my ears.
Plus I couldn't really hear my drums acoustically at all - and (probably because I've been playing for so many years) found it to disconcerting. I like to feel the drums nice and loud (and 'in my face') and when I had the UE10's up that loud - my ears would start to ring again. Plus I found I was hitting the drums too hard to try to get that feeling back of the drums hitting me directly in the face.

I know there are UE7's which have holes in them to allow outside sounds to bleed through, but I've got used to my original headphones now and I actually like the fact that my ears don't ring anymore due to the lack of high frequencies. Also I deliberately take off all the high frequencies of my click sounds (anything above about 7khz is off).

I've got to add to all that - if you're using IEM and don't carry your own monitor desk with you - you can be in for a pretty rough ride using the 'in house' monitor desk and engineer who doesn't know your music.

We quickly gave up with wireless packs. All of us go hard wired. It sounds better, has no interference and no battery related problems. We're not the kind of performers who go running all over the stage anyway.

My UE10's are unbelievably good for listening to my iPod on a plane trip though.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin, thanks so much for your help! One thing though - when you say that "all of us are hard wired", does that mean that Steven, Colin, and John all have wires trailing down themselves, running offstage? I'm a bit confused as to how that works, especially when they want to walk on and offstage!

thanks once more
-chris

12:5
02-22-2008, 03:40 PM
hi gavin
yeah i tried to count the timesignatures before but as i said i couldn't find out so i gave up disillusioned ;-)
i have the rockpalastversion as well as the one which is on the futile ep
by the way i find the liveversion to be better as it is with almost all of porcupine tree's songs because it grooves even more than the studioversion...

Gavin Harrison
02-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi xopethx,

does that mean that Steven, Colin, and John all have wires trailing down themselves, running offstage?

When Steve and Colin get on stage they plug in their headphones. Colin has a little headphone amp on the floor by his pedal board - Steve has a double lead that serves his guitar and headphones. His headphone amp is round the back of his guitar cabinet. Actually John still does use a wireless pack.

Hi drumher,

At about 4.20 to 4.40 it is in 7/4 or 7/8(then with overriding Ride cymbal), is it right?

The 7/8 section starts at 3:53 - and there's a quarter note override on the ride cymbal

There I want to understand your fills, it sounds like sixtuplets with spacings in four...(?)

The fills in that section are 32nd notes - mostly groups of 5.

Mostly you start with the fills after three quarternots so you´ve got time for one 4/4 bar (?)

No it's all in 7 - I don't think of the fills in 4/4.

Hi 12:5,

yeah i tried to count the timesignatures before but as i said i couldn't find out so i gave up disillusioned ;-)

You need to see it written out - and then you'd understand how it's all in 4/4. Sounds like another job for the great Terry Branam.

Cheers
Gavin

steste50
02-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi Gavin,

I'd like to know what's the exact complete PATH of the signals of your drums from the mikes (that i know) up to your Mac for recording in your home studio.

(ps: r u planning any gig in Italy in the nearest future?)

Ciao and thanks.

ChrisBassdrum
02-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Dear Gavin,
I have a question towards your DVD "Rhythmic Horizons":
In your Polyrhythmic-Theory you demonstrate how to count on a 16th and triplet microstructure. So is this exercise only to practice thinking of groups or is it to practice quintuplets and septuplets? Thus what is the sense of your exercise?
Is this chapter not for practicing tuplets, what is the best way to pratice (for example) 5:2 or 7:3?
Thanks a lot!!!=)

Chris

Gavin Harrison
02-23-2008, 02:31 AM
Hi steste50,

I'd like to know what's the exact complete PATH of the signals of your drums from the mikes (that i know) up to your Mac for recording in your home studio.

My mics are plugged into my Mackie 32:8 bus analog desk. The outputs of the Mackie channels go into two Apogee Rosetta's (A/D converters) and then passed onto the Mac.

(ps: r u planning any gig in Italy in the nearest future?)

No - sorry.

Hi ChrisBassdrum,

I have a question towards your DVD "Rhythmic Horizons":
In your Polyrhythmic-Theory you demonstrate how to count on a 16th and triplet microstructure. So is this exercise only to practice thinking of groups or is it to practice quintuplets and septuplets?

I haven't looked at that DVD for quite some time - but from my memory of that section - it starts off with simple polyrhythms based on 16ths and triplet subdivisions. But then I sing quintuplets and clap quarter notes (4:5) and groups of 3 (3:5) and groups of 7 (7:5) Then I think I go on to sing septuplets and clap groups of 3 (3:7) groups of 4 (4:7) and groups of 5 (5:7).
The point of the exercise is to give yourself a mental rhythmical workout in a few different subdivisions whilst clapping a few different groupings.

what is the best way to pratice (for example) 5:2 or 7:3?

I'm guessing that you haven't seen either of my books as I go through it in both of them (I believe). To practice 5:2 first you need to make 5:1 (quintuplets) and then just play every other note. That will give you 5:2. In a similar fashion to make 7:3 start by make 7:1 (septuplets) and just play every third note.

Hi drumher,

So on your second DVD you show some sticking in 5(?), I don´t know exactly: RLRRL...
To those fills on Nil Recurring, are they based on that sticking or did you compose them before you recorded?

I think they are based on that sticking - there maybe some variations in there plus some bass drum substitutions too.

cheers
Gavin

Gus
02-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Hi Gavin

I´m highly impressed with DROP. Is a great great recording. Congratulations -also to 05Ric-.
SAILING is a beautiful song. Is the chorus (i am sailing...) in 5/4, and then change in 4/4???.
I belive that master Fripp is playing in DROP. All guitars in the record?

Thank you
Gustavo

steste50
02-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks from your prompt reply!

I'd also like to know what kind of sound interface card u use on the mac and what's the software for yer multitrack recording. I'm asking u all that because i guess u're using products that fit into a drummer's activities and concepts of music and 'cuz u, of course, have got tons of experience.

Ciao and re-thanks

Sol Good
02-23-2008, 01:59 PM
I'd also like to know what kind of sound interface card u use on the mac and what's the software for yer multitrack recording.

Ciao and re-thanks

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=131652&postcount=90

David Floegel
02-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Hi Gavin,

just three questions:

-1- which bassdrum beaters do you use on the videos of futile?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NsHyGbadzQQ

-2- are you able to play doubles and paradiddles on your bassdrum at high tempo?

-3- how do you like the new sonor basic arm system and do you use it?

Gavin Harrison
02-24-2008, 03:10 AM
Hi Gus,

I´m highly impressed with DROP. Is a great great recording. Congratulations -also to 05Ric-.
SAILING is a beautiful song. Is the chorus (i am sailing...) in 5/4, and then change in 4/4???.

That part of Sailing is 9/8 - same as the intro.

I belive that master Fripp is playing in DROP. All guitars in the record?

Robert Fripp plays atmospheric sounds on "Sailing" and "Where Are You Going?"

Hi Kalma,

-1- which bassdrum beaters do you use on the videos of futile?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NsHyGbadzQQ

They are the regular Sonor ones that I painted white so that the camera could pick them out more easily.

-2- are you able to play doubles and paradiddles on your bassdrum at high tempo?

No. Everything I play is singles - always starting with the right foot...and I'm not at all interested in playing fast.

-3- how do you like the new sonor basic arm system and do you use it?

I didn't know about them until you asked this question. I looked at the info on their site and it looks like it will be a very useful system of hardware.

cheers
Gavin

glen thomas
02-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Hi again Gavin.. I just bought my copy of Nil Recurring and love it.
Your playing and the song arrangements are incredible as usual.
I just love the dynamics you and the band bring forth on all your
recordings. I must say Porcupine Tree's EP of 4 songs is better
than most artists entire library of music. |O| Steve Wilson is a genius.
I also purchased Steve's Blackfield DVD. Very cool band.

Keep the great work coming Gavin and thanks for giving
us your input on the forum ;-) Hopefully some day I'll get
to see you perform live.

glen

XboxIsAGodToMe
02-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey Gavin, just a quick question...Are you familiar with the tour Mike Portnoy put together, The Progressive Nation tour? Well, anyway, my question is, would there be a chance of Porcupine Tree, or even, dare I say, GH05 playing Progressive Nation next time around? Seeing you guys with Opeth would be amazing! Also, are there any bands who you/PT would like to tour with? Thanks again for answering all of our questions! You're the man!
Josh

tripod
02-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey Gavin,

I know you're getting flooded with questions, but I hope you can find time to answer mine! I have Rhythmic Illusions and have just got the Rhythmic Horizona DVD, but they do not tell me how to count odd 'tuplets' i.e. in a Rhythmic scale, how would you count an elevenlet as the tempo increases? Or in a type 3 modulation using septuplets? Do you count all the beats, or do you have a shortcut? Would it be simlar to the way you count the 5s on Rhythmic Horizons? I've been doing that for some time with odd time signatures, but with odd subdivisions it's very confusing spacing the beats equally! Some examples would be great!

Thanks for your time, your drumming on that DVD has blown my away!

Matt

ZDrums24
02-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey Gavin,

I know you're getting flooded with questions, but I hope you can find time to answer mine! I have Rhythmic Illusions and have just got the Rhythmic Horizona DVD, but they do not tell me how to count odd 'tuplets' i.e. in a Rhythmic scale, how would you count an elevenlet as the tempo increases? Or in a type 3 modulation using septuplets? Do you count all the beats, or do you have a shortcut? Would it be simlar to the way you count the 5s on Rhythmic Horizons? I've been doing that for some time with odd time signatures, but with odd subdivisions it's very confusing spacing the beats equally! Some examples would be great!

Thanks for your time, your drumming on that DVD has blown my away!

Matt

I've come across a ton of odd subdivisions in my orchestral snare studies and the way I have been taught is to not count all the notes, but to be aware of your hands. You feel the down beats and, provided your sticking is straight, your right and left hands will alternate down beats. From there, it is just a matter of knowing what a seven sounds like and what a 5 sounds like, etc. using a metronome and praticing at very slow tempos is where you need to start.

when it comes to syncopating odd subdivisions, the only thing i can suggest to you is to treat the rhythm as if the rests are notes, but not play them; sorta like how when many drummers play '1e a', the left plays both 'e' and 'a.'

Sangarunya
02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Dear Sir:
I've been searhing for the technical specifications of you Sonor drum kit (well, at least the one you use at the "arriving somewhere" DVD) without success. Where can I find that precious information? Ok, Im not making a copy of it, hehe, but Im beggining to think that you choice is one of my best options to what I need.
Anyways, thank you very much for your time.

P.S. We miss Porcupine Tree here in Spain!!!!!

NeuroAxis
02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Dear Sir:
I've been searhing for the technical specifications of you Sonor drum kit (well, at least the one you use at the "arriving somewhere" DVD) without success. Where can I find that precious information? Ok, Im not making a copy of it, hehe, but Im beggining to think that you choice is one of my best options to what I need.
Anyways, thank you very much for your time.

P.S. We miss Porcupine Tree here in Spain!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Harrison

I'm pretty sure he has said that the description on this page is accurate.

Sol Good
02-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Dear Sir:
I've been searhing for the technical specifications of you Sonor drum kit

This should help too:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=125996&postcount=75

Gavin Harrison
02-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi drumher,

For me your improvisations within a song (e.g. Hatesong on the DVD or Way Out of Here) sound great and really individual and not constructed but very musically. So I can´t really imagine that those things come up to your mind in the present moment(?) Is it like this or before an impro-part do you have something like a plan?

I usually have a plan about two seconds before that section begins. I do improvise the whole thing as it unfolds. Of course if you compared night against night you would hear some phrases and themes are repeated - but I never play exactly the same thing...I wouldn't be able to remember it.

Hi XboxIsAGodToMe,

Are you familiar with the tour Mike Portnoy put together, The Progressive Nation tour?

No - I haven't heard of it until now.

Well, anyway, my question is, would there be a chance of Porcupine Tree, or even, dare I say, GH05 playing Progressive Nation next time around?

I can't see that happening in the near future. PT are basically taking a lot of time off this year - and GH05 isn't an 'up and running' band right now.

Hi tripod,

I have Rhythmic Illusions and have just got the Rhythmic Horizona DVD, but they do not tell me how to count odd 'tuplets' i.e. in a Rhythmic scale, how would you count an elevenlet as the tempo increases? Or in a type 3 modulation using septuplets? Do you count all the beats, or do you have a shortcut? Would it be simlar to the way you count the 5s on Rhythmic Horizons?

Yes, on the Rhythmic Horizons DVD there's a chapter called "Polyrhythmic Theory" - I do have a kind of short cut and I explain how I count odd groups (or tuplets) in that chapter. The two I deal with there are 5's & 7's but you can expand that exact same theory for 9's and 11's if you want.

A group of 5 I pick out 1 & 3 of every 5.
Like this Da - Da - -

A group of 7 I pick out 1, 3 & 5 of every 7
Like this Da - Da - Da - -

A group of 9 I pick out 1,3,5 & 7 of every 9
Like this Da - Da - Da - Da - -

A group of 11 I pick out 1,3,5,7 & 9 of every 11
Like this Da - Da - Da - Da - Da - -

Hi Sangarunya,

I've been searhing for the technical specifications of you Sonor drum kit (well, at least the one you use at the "arriving somewhere" DVD) without success. Where can I find that precious information?

Yes, as NeuroAxis and Sol Good point out there's some accurate info at those locations - but the kit on that DVD is my set in America - a blue Sonor DeLight and I use the Black Steel 14x5 snare drum with an Emperor X head on the top.

Cheers
Gavin

NeuroAxis
02-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Gavin -

Looking through that Wikipedia page I noticed your Z Custom China isn't listed anywhere. Did you not use this one on the Tour of a Blank Planet? I only ask because it is one of my favorite chinas ever made and almost no pros other than you use it (that I know of).

glen thomas
02-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi Gavin. Just curious if you've heard of the Canadian drummer Rick Gratton and also
if you studied his book "Rick's Licks". If so, what did you think of his book. I just bought it but as of yet, haven't tried any exercises in it. Hopefully later today.. :-) The book has been out quite a number of years.

glen

David Floegel
02-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi Gavin,

sorry for asking again for the beaters:
Are that this beaters:
http://www.massmusic.net/shop/images/13438.jpg

?
thank you

Gavin Harrison
02-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi NeuroAxis,

Looking through that Wikipedia page I noticed your Z Custom China isn't listed anywhere. Did you not use this one on the Tour of a Blank Planet?

I did use that china on the tour - and I've corrected Wikipedia.

Hi glen thomas,

Just curious if you've heard of the Canadian drummer Rick Gratton and also
if you studied his book "Rick's Licks".

Yes I know Rick - he sent me his book many years ago.

Hi Kalma,

yes those are the same beaters. They're standard with the Sonor pedals I believe.

Cheers
Gavin

David Floegel
02-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey Gavin,

sry for the many posts I'm doing but can you make a photo of how you colored it? I'm very interested

Shaun
02-27-2008, 02:26 AM
Hi Gavin,

Just wanted to know if there is a play-along track available for 'Quite Firm' from your Rhythmic Visions DVD.

Every year in Sydney they have annual drum comp. I would love to play 'Quite Firm'.

Cheers, Shaun.

Gavin Harrison
02-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi Kalma,

can you make a photo of how you colored it?

sorry but I can't make a photo of it. I just painted the top half white.

Hi Shaun,

Just wanted to know if there is a play-along track available for 'Quite Firm' from your Rhythmic Visions DVD.

No there isn't. But I hope to play it one day in Sydney myself.
-

Some folks have asked me 'off thread' about a little fill in the PT song "The Creator Had A Mastertape" Thanks again to Terry Branam for making the transcription.

Cheers
Gavin

tonyb
02-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi Gavin, I love your drumming

I was just wondering, in your SOS article on click tracks for drummers, you mentioned there were click samples to download on your site, but I can't find them. Are they still there and where? I'd be really interested to check them out as I have to play with a click in my band.

Thanks a lot. Tony :o)

Gavin Harrison
02-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi tonyb

they are right here..

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=318787&postcount=1141

cheers
Gavin

smoney22
02-28-2008, 03:45 AM
Hey Gavin, Love your playing! Anyways, if you could give one piece of advice to a teenage drummer hoping to go to school for drums and make a living out of it, what would it be?

rebocco
02-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Ciao Gavin!

First of all, thank you for all your work with PT, but also with the great Franco Battiato, your playing is a big source of inspiration to me... (by the way, Battiato's "La Cura" is
simply AMAZING!!!)

I would like to ask you about:

1- your drum tuning: how do you tune your toms? I mean, do you follow any specific scale or simply "your ears"? :)

2- your seating position and height: I noticed that your throne is positioned quite "far" from your drumkit, and that you sit low, just like me. Can this low sitting height affect double bass playing, and feet playing in general, due to the leaning back or forward action that our body naturally tends to do to mantain the balance? Have you ever had this kind of problem in your beginnings? Can you suggest any solution for this problem?

Thanks again!

Riccardo

Gavin Harrison
02-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi smoney22,

if you could give one piece of advice to a teenage drummer hoping to go to school for drums and make a living out of it, what would it be?

Determination.

Hi rebocco,

1- your drum tuning: how do you tune your toms? I mean, do you follow any specific scale or simply "your ears"?

Yes I usually just follow my ears - but somehow I nearly always end up with these intervals:

tom 5 lowest
tom 4 augmented 5th above tom 5
tom 3 augmented 4th above tom 4
tom 2 perfect 4th above tom 3
tom 1 perfect 5th above tom 2

So tom 5 seems to be G
tom 4 Eb
tom 3 A
tom 2 D
tom 1 A

2- your seating position and height: I noticed that your throne is positioned quite "far" from your drumkit, and that you sit low, just like me. Can this low sitting height affect double bass playing, and feet playing in general, due to the leaning back or forward action that our body naturally tends to do to mantain the balance? Have you ever had this kind of problem in your beginnings? Can you suggest any solution for this problem?

I sit a long way back because I'm 6'2" and I like to have enough distance from the kit that I can use the full length of my arms if necessary. I like to sit low because I feel comfortable that way. Can it effect double bass drum playing? Yes probably. I like to play 'heels up' on the pedals so I need to lean back a little bit to take the weight off my feet.
I don't think it's a problem to me.

cheers
Gavin

euphoric_anomaly
02-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Gavin,

I'm blown away by your technique, style and control you have. A great source of inspiration for me, thanks :)

I'm really enjoying DROP. It's an excellent recording with a lot to learn from. Some of the time signatures on there are quite confusing, but highly entertaining to try and figure out.

I really enjoy odd-time work. TOOL is one of my favorite bands out there, I taught myself how to play by listening to Danny Carey. I'm so glad I came across your CD, it's added new material to try and work/learn/play with. My only problem is when I get on the drums, I can't figure out how to make my own beats in say.... 5/8, 7/4 etc. I just get lost counting and playing at the same time, any suggestions ?

Thanks

Eric

Anesth
02-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi Gavin,
I've been reading all your replies in this forum for some time now but have never really thought of anything i could ask you myself, but finally i have a couple questions :)

Firstly, you've said that you always wanted to be a professional musician and from the amount of the work you have achieved, it's clear you made that goal. I was wondering that while you had lots of session work many years, did you ever wish to have an original band, where you could have a strong input in the music being written? I imagine after learning to play in so many styles and with all the experience as a session musician that a certain style would have stuck out that really appealed to you.

And my second question is really advice for the future. I decided during secondary school that i wanted to be a musician even though i was quite academic, my parents gave me full backing so i left school to do a Music Performace course at college. I seem to be doing really well and the tutors say i have great potential so i am really eagar to face the real world and try and get work as a drummer. But i sort of face a dilema. I could stay at my college for another 3 years and do a music degree. The teaching is good and i know ill benefit as a musician, but because of it's location it would be hard for me to get the kind of work im looking for without spending ages driving to London as often as i could.

The other option is for me to do the music degree in London, possibly at a place like Guildhall. The downside to this, is ill be scraping a living and more than likely not have place where i can regularly practice on my kit like i can now. The reason i want to stay in music education is because i'm still young (17), and still have so much to learn.

So basically in short, i can either stay at home for another 3 years, and hone my skills as much as possible before moving to London to make a career OR spend the next 3 years in London, trying to get as much work as possible while still improving, although i wont be as prepared than if i stayed at college.

I'm sorry for writing so much, but you've been such an inspiration to what i want to do because you've worked bloody hard to get where you are, and didnt just get a lucky break with a band in your teens.

Thanks for answering everyone on here so kindly.

Cheers, Anesth

NeuroAxis
02-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Gavin -

That was an excellent article on click tracks in the link you provided. I've been haunted by the memory of my recording sessions in which I didn't use a click so I've been pretty click-track obsessive since then. The article definitely provided some new perspectives for me.

So do I understand correctly that you don't use the recording program's internal click track, but rather you program your own sounds as a separate MIDI track in the recording?

And I had another totally unrelated question. With PT your drums always seem to be pretty far off to one side of the stage. Is there an advantage sound-wise to this kind of setup?

Thanks...

Gavin Harrison
02-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi euphoric_anomaly,

My only problem is when I get on the drums, I can't figure out how to make my own beats in say.... 5/8, 7/4 etc. I just get lost counting and playing at the same time, any suggestions ?

One of the things that helped me get comfortable enough with odd times (to the point where I didn't have to count) was using a sequencer. I would write and loop a simple bass line in an odd time signature and then just jam over it for hours. In the end you just sing along to the bass melody - and not count. I never count when I play odd times - I have to hear a riff or melody in my head and play over that.

Hi Anesth,

I was wondering that while you had lots of session work many years, did you ever wish to have an original band, where you could have a strong input in the music being written?

The variety of work I was doing kept me satisfied - so it didn't cross my mind much. I was in a group called Dizrhythmia along with Jakko Jakszyk, Danny Thompson and Pandit Dinesh in 1987 and we made an album - but we didn't play any concerts. It's very hard to start a band from scratch - and almost impossible to make a living from it.

So basically in short, i can either stay at home for another 3 years, and hone my skills as much as possible before moving to London to make a career OR spend the next 3 years in London, trying to get as much work as possible while still improving, although i wont be as prepared than if i stayed at college.

That's a question that only you can answer. I guess you have some kind of understanding about how ready you are (or not). If you think you'd be better off staying/studying/practicing I'm sure deep down you must already know. I don't know what the work opportunities are like in London now. When I was 17 it was a different type of scene altogether - and really a different music business.

Hi NeuroAxis,

So do I understand correctly that you don't use the recording program's internal click track, but rather you program your own sounds as a separate MIDI track in the recording?

Correct.

With PT your drums always seem to be pretty far off to one side of the stage. Is there an advantage sound-wise to this kind of setup?

No I don't think so. It was just to make the stage look balanced as there are 3 guys spread across the front and myself and Richard on risers at the back.

cheers
Gavin

Anesth
03-01-2008, 01:03 AM
hi Gavin, thanks for the reply.

I was wondering the level you were at when you hit the music scene looking for work. Were you confident in playing all the styles you could, or was it more that you picked it up along the way?

Cheers, Anesth

euphoric_anomaly
03-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Gavin,

Thank you for your quick reply and your helpful suggestion. I was browsing those videos from the Musik festival in germany that you did, and that song that's in 19/8th's is absolutely amazing.

During that song, probably around the middle of it, you started using the ride bell really clearly. Is that a good example of "overriding" ? It sounds like your using the bell as the driving force of the beat, and using the snare/drum/hi hat to complete the rythym.

Did you compose that entire 19/8th's piece yourself ? And before playing it you said that it was split into 7/7/5. Does that 7/7/5 change up at all during the song ? Like going from 7-7-5 to 7-5-7 or 5-7-7 ? It adds up to me, but I was just wondering how you arranged it.

Thanks again for your willingness to answer your fans questions, not a lot of people (famous or otherwise) would take the time to do something so grateful.

Eric

ZDrums24
03-01-2008, 05:19 AM

I will back gavin with his statement that only you can answer this question, but being a music ed major over here in the states, I can help out a little possibly.

To be an music ed major (at least over here) you need to be prepared to give up specializing. I am really struggling to work on timpani, snare, keyboards, piano, voice, and various brass instruments (all in just this semester), let alone find time to work on ethnic percussion and drum set. By the time I leave after 4 or 5 years, I need to theoritically be capable of teaching general music k-12, begining brass/woodwinds/percussion/voice, play piano well enough to accompany an ensemble/soloist. Obviously, if I put this much effort into just percussion, theory, and sightsinging/ear training, then Id probably leave here and be able to take any gig I wanted. This lead to my decision to slow my schooling down and take an extra year so I can focus a little more on percussion.

I don't exactly advocate just launching yourself into the world. Serious study and time spent really working on your skills is invaluable. To roughly quote steve smith: 'don't be in a hurry to get out and gig. take the time to learn your instrument.' Being that you are only 17, it is not as if you are running out of time and 3 years is really not that long in the grand scheme of things.
Conversely, many of the greats learned by throwing themselves into high demand performing situations and really honed themselves as they went. Obviously, if you don't have your fundamentals down, this isn't the path to go, but it works really well for some people.

Your choice requires that you really understand what you need and what works best for you. It also requires knowledge of what each location and situation is going to give you (a suggestion is to go spend some time checking out the music scene in London and ask the local musicians about whatever you want to know about like how easy it is to get a gig or to be noticed).

I hope this gave you some food for thought.

Ailmour
03-01-2008, 09:51 AM
euphoric_anomaly, Gavin explains this song on his DVD "Rhyhmic Horizons". I recommend buying it, there's much interesting stuff in there.

Gavin Harrison
03-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi Anesth,

I was wondering the level you were at when you hit the music scene looking for work. Were you confident in playing all the styles you could, or was it more that you picked it up along the way?

I could play a few styles and I could read (but not amazingly well). I picked up a lot of experience as the jobs came along, but finding work wasn't that easy. I spent many months off between jobs - and during those periods I thought I was finished in the music business. I would get straight back to serious studying.

Hi euphoric_anomaly,

During that song (19 Days), probably around the middle of it, you started using the ride bell really clearly. Is that a good example of "overriding" ?

Yes- I start with a quarter note override during the piano solo - and then switch to a dotted 8th note override.

Did you compose that entire 19/8th's piece yourself ? And before playing it you said that it was split into 7/7/5. Does that 7/7/5 change up at all during the song ? Like going from 7-7-5 to 7-5-7 or 5-7-7 ? It adds up to me, but I was just wondering how you arranged it.

I composed the original marimba riff - and then got my friend Dave Stewart to write the tune around it. The whole song is in 19/8 (and it's always 7+7+5) except about 10 seconds right near the end which has a few different time signatures just to follow the conclusion of the piece before the outro. As Ailmour kindly points out - I do go through it on my Rhythmic Horizons DVD.

Cheers
Gavin

XboxIsAGodToMe
03-02-2008, 04:40 AM
Hey Gavin, just curious, what metronome would you suggest for being able to program odd timed clicks. Also, is there a metronome that has different sounds for the click? I currently use a VERY basic quartz metronome, and it's sometimes too hard to hear the click (and not in the good way of being on time :-). Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Josh

Chris Edwards
03-02-2008, 08:35 AM
what metronome would you suggest for being able to program odd timed clicks. Also, is there a metronome that has different sounds for the click? I currently use a VERY basic quartz metronome

Hi,

Standalone metronomes (at least, the ones I've seen) have nowhere near enough flexibility.

Ideally, use a computer sequencer. Or, get a cheap drum machine (ebay?) which should hopefully let you program your choice of click pattern in the required time-sig. Do check it's a drum machine that allows odd times - not sure if all do.

and it's sometimes too hard to hear the click

You want the click in headphones.

Cheers

Anesth
03-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the reply Gavin and Zdrums,

Its much appreciated!

K.Howden
03-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi Gavin, two quick questions

1) I've heard the phrase "Overriding" used quite but I'm slightly unsure what it means, is it the term used to describe Grooves where you're switching between the Ride Bell and the Bow of the Ride every quaver or crochet? I use this method quite alot but was unsure of the term to summise this method.

2) My friend has being playing Kit for 2 and a half years and has been asking me how he can improve his Ghost notes. Personally I use them in every available space in Groove where it suits it as I think it adds Fludity to the Groove. I've told him that there isn't really any method you can teach to get good Ghost Notes and that its just somthing that develops over time, would you agree with this or is there a method that could help him out with this?

Thanks for your time and hope you're well,

Kev

Gavin Harrison
03-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Hi XboxIsAGodToMe,

Hey Gavin, just curious, what metronome would you suggest for being able to program odd timed clicks. Also, is there a metronome that has different sounds for the click?

As Chris Edwards said - if you need really fancy clicks then a computer is your best bet. If you have a few time signatures 5/8 7/8 11/8 etc. all in the same song then I would be inclined to just listen to an 1/8 note click as it will go through all those odd times. Sometimes when a song changes from 3/4 to 6/8 I might just leave the click playing quarter note woodblocks and 8th note cabasas and think of it as a simple polyrhythm to the 6/8. I used a Boss DR-660 for many years and had no problems with it generating odd time signatures. I think of the click as something that's there to help keep me in strict tempo - not something that's going to help me play odd time signatures.

Hi K.Howden,

1) I've heard the phrase "Overriding" used quite but I'm slightly unsure what it means, is it the term used to describe Grooves where you're switching between the Ride Bell and the Bow of the Ride every quaver or crochet? I use this method quite alot but was unsure of the term to summise this method.

No, what I mean by 'overriding' is when you play (for instance) quarter notes on the cymbal whilst your bass drum and snare drum are playing in an odd time signature (like 7/8 for example). That way the bell of the ride will be effectively 'on the beat' in the first bar of 7 and then 'off the beat' in the second bar of 7.

like this..

If you're interested to know more about this kind of rhythmic device - there's lot's of examples of 'overriding' on my DVD Rhythmic Horizons

Ghost Notes and that its just somthing that develops over time, would you agree with this or is there a method that could help him out with this?

I would agree that they do get better over time. They are also the first things to fall apart when you're nervous!!

cheers
Gavin

NeuroAxis
03-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey Gavin, just curious, what metronome would you suggest for being able to program odd timed clicks. Also, is there a metronome that has different sounds for the click? I currently use a VERY basic quartz metronome, and it's sometimes too hard to hear the click (and not in the good way of being on time :-). Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Josh

Along with the advice others have given, I would point you to Gavin's excellent Sound on Sound article on programming clicks, in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug03/articles/clicktracks.htm

I used a DR-660 for practicing to a click for many years, and as Gavin points out, while you can't change time signatures or tempos on the fly with this type of drum machine, by adapting a single, regular click pattern to a variety of time signature changes throughout a song, you can teach yourself a lot about polyrhythms and rhythmic structure.

I also think this approach helps keep a consistent feel throughout a song, rather than having the drummer shift through a billion different time signature and tempo changes.

For example, I recorded the first song on this page (www.myspace.com/demonstruction) to a 4/4 click in one tempo (I think it was around 155 bpm). The verses are in 8/8, but the choruses and middle eight are in 6/8. So for those 6/8 parts I just let the click make a simple 6 over 8 polyrhythm.

*disclaimer: these drum tracks were recorded in about four hours, they ended up sounding pretty terrible (and they're buried in the mix anyway), and some of the guys on the track (including myself) were pretty studio inexperienced*

NeuroAxis
03-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Actually, on the topic of tempos/clicks, I have been using a Linux-native DAW called Ardour for my pre-production recordings, and this program uses a different conception of bpm than most other recording programs. Essentially, the time signature denominator doesn't change the pace of the click, it only changes the length of the measure. In other words, if I wanted to change from 4/4 to 4/8, I would simply have to double the bpm in 4/4, because changing the denominator to 8 doesn't change the click to eighth notes.

Anyway, doubling the bpm seems like kind of an imperfect solution to this problem to me, so I wondered if Gavin or any other people on here could help me make sense of the developer's explanation, quoted from the program's official support forum:

"ardour’s conception of bar|beat time is slightly different from other DAWs and will likely change in the future. meter is handled in the standard way: a meter of 7/8 is taken to mean 7 beats, each 1/8 note in length. however, the tempo specifies how many of the denominator note lengths there are per minute *NOT* how many 1/4 notes there are per minute. thus, if you change only the meter, and leave the tempo at, say, 120bpm, you end up with the same click rate - it used to be 120 1/4 notes per minute, now its 120 1/8th notes per minute. thats because ardour is interpreting the “b” in bpm to mean “beat” and not quarter/crotchet.

as i mentioned, we may modify this in a future version. i still consider the standard handling of this to be wrong, but it does have the force of convention standing behind it."

It's an interesting discussion of the concept of time and meter, nonetheless:

http://www.ardour.org/node/1433

Thanks, anyone who can help...

XboxIsAGodToMe
03-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks everyone! I don't necessarily need the click for odd-times (even though it didn't seem that way) but more towards a different sound. For instance, when the click sounds like a cowbell, it seems easier to hear to me. It's hard to describe, and now it just sounds like I'm making up excuses...Guess I'll just have to stick with the old quartz guy. Thanks to everyone, including Gavin, who responded to my question. I appreciate it!

Gavin Harrison
03-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi NeuroAxis,

Anyway, doubling the bpm seems like kind of an imperfect solution to this problem to me, so I wondered if Gavin or any other people on here could help me make sense of the developer's explanation, quoted from the program's official support forum:

I think the developer is perhaps not a musician and taking the whole bpm thing too literally. There's many (especially 'prog') arrangements that have all kids of time signatures - 4/4 7/8 3/16 etc and it would be a nightmare to have to go in and make double or quadruple tempo changes just to accommodate the software.
Rhythmic notation is based on a bar of 4/4. A 16th note is quite literally one 1/16 of a bar of 4/4. So what happens when you play a 1/16 in a bar of 5/8? It's not literally a 1/16 of that bar length. The musician understands that the 1/16 is in reference to 4/4 and there can only be 10 of them in a bar of 5/8.
The reason all the other DAW's use quarter notes as the implied beat for bpm - is that it works logically, is initially based on 4/4 - and most musicians understand what that means.
Just out of interest - what made you pick Ardour as your sequencing software?

cheers
Gavin

NeuroAxis
03-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Hi NeuroAxis,

I think the developer is perhaps not a musician and taking the whole bpm thing too literally. There's many (especially 'prog') arrangements that have all kids of time signatures - 4/4 7/8 3/16 etc and it would be a nightmare to have to go in and make double or quadruple tempo changes just to accommodate the software.
Rhythmic notation is based on a bar of 4/4. A 16th note is quite literally one 1/16 of a bar of 4/4. So what happens when you play a 1/16 in a bar of 5/8? It's not literally a 1/16 of that bar length. The musician understands that the 1/16 is in reference to 4/4 and there can only be 10 of them in a bar of 5/8.
The reason all the other DAW's use quarter notes as the implied beat for bpm - is that it works logically, is initially based on 4/4 - and most musicians understand what that means.
Just out of interest - what made you pick Ardour as your sequencing software?

cheers
Gavin

Thanks for breaking this down; I think I kind of get it now. The next release apparently will feature a drop-down menu that will let you specify what's meant by the b in bpm.

Right around the time I started to get interested in recording I got a laptop that was loaded with Debian Linux. Ardour is pretty much the flagship DAW on the Linux platform (along with Rosegarden, which is used more typically as a MIDI sequencer, I think). It's not quite as powerful and not nearly as user-friendly or as pretty as other DAWs, but it has the advantage (like all Linux software) of being completely free (even the plugins are all free shareware). Also because it's open-source software, the developers are directly in contact with the producers, engineers and musicians who use it, and they advise the software people on what the program lacks and how it can be improved.

It's always something of an adventure using Linux stuff, but it's a good alternative for me as I am a broke college student who really can't afford something like Pro Tools or Logic. But all that being said, I haven't had a problem with it yet; even the sketch recordings I have done for my band have turned out sounding pretty decent.

Massimo98
03-05-2008, 10:40 AM
HI Gavin my name is Massimo and I play drums. I am 9 years old and I think your absolutely great on your toms and cymbals. I would like to know know what kind of china type cymbals you use. I am also your youngest porcipine tree lover. I really wanted to go to your porcipine tree concert in melbourne [where I live] but I couldn't because i need to be over 18 years old. Regards Massimo

Gavin Harrison
03-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi Massimo98,

thanks for the comment about my 'toms and cymbals'. The china cymbals that I use are all Zildjian - 12" & 16" Oriental China Trashes and an 18" Z Custom China. Sorry you can't get into the show in Melbourne, the age limitations are beyond our control. Usually the case is that the local promoter and venue want to make money from selling alcohol and therefore have to have a minimum age limit. We love it when under 18's can come to see our shows.

I will be playing at the Geelong drum festival on the 29th of April (which I believe is close to Melbourne) and if you can come along you might hear a PT song or two.

cheers
Gavin

JeffV71
03-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi Gavin,

While in your studio, whether practicing or recording, what kind of drum mix do you have in the ears? For example, you have a click and some music in your headphones, but what about drums? Do you hear your drums with EQ and compression, dry drums (kept low in the mix), or no drums in your headphones at all?

What works for you?

Thanks
Jeff

Gavin Harrison
03-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Hi Jeff,

I have a full mix of the drums in my headphones. I can hear the little bit of eq that I have going through the desk (but the compression takes place in the computer after I've recorded them).
I use an old Yamaha Reverb on the snare and toms just to listen to in my headphones - it doesn't get recorded - it just for vibe. It's pretty comfortable - for recording or practising.

cheers
Gavin

ProgDrummer
03-06-2008, 02:00 AM
Really digging your work with Blackfield I. At first, I didn't know it was you, but I could've sworn is sounded so similar. Must be a really great experience being able to work with Steven as a songwriter. He really knows his melody and harmonies!

Ayl20
03-06-2008, 05:49 AM
Hi Gavin,

I noticed that you mentioned you're playing at the Geelong drum festival in Melbourne. I was wondering if you are playing at any drum clinics in Sydney? I asked you a while ago about it and at the time you were trying to arrange some clinics. So, i was wondering if you have anything in concrete yet? because i'd be really keen to go.

-Luke

Gavin Harrison
03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Ayl20,

At the moment all I'll be doing is the Geelong Drum Festival (29th April) and one other clinic in Canberra (30th April).

cheers
Gavin

mixamuss
03-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi Gavin,

Sorry if this has been covered before (when I use the 'search this thread' function the page number doesn't seem to tie up with where the posting actually is). Will you be involved in any UK clinics in the near future?

Looking forward to your new material with 05Ric. The first album was superb!

Mix

Gavin Harrison
03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi mixamuss,

Does the word(s) you're searching for not appear anywhere on the resulting page? I can't make the search engine jump to the exact post - but when I use it - it finds the page(s) then I have to do a 'command+F' and it will find the word.

I have no UK clinics planned at the moment. I will be performing at "Drummer Live" on the 15th of June at 2:45 on the main stage.

Yes, myself and Ric are working on another album at the moment - hope to have it released later this year - probably in the Autumn.

cheers
Gavin

TitanSound
03-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi Gavin,

Just a quick note to say it will be great to see you at DrummerLive this year. Its a shame someone of your calibre has not been able to get any UK clinics sorted. I do remember asking the same question many pages back in this thread and if my memory serves me correctly you said it would be best to get in touch with marketing at Sonor to express an interest?

Cheers.

NeuroAxis
03-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Yes, myself and Ric are working on another album at the moment - hope to have it released later this year - probably in the Autumn.

This is the best news I've heard in a long time.

mixamuss
03-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the quick response Gavin.

The ctrl 'F' does work, it just that sometimes the reported page isn't the correct one. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that sometimes when I view the latest posts they appear on page 1 as opposed to the latest page (p60 at the moment) so maybe that messes up the search. Never mind, it's very good of you to put so much time and effort into these pages and it's a minor problem in the scheme of things.

I'll look forward to DrummerLive and to the new 05Ric album.

Mix

Anesth
03-07-2008, 12:38 AM
I will be performing at "Drummer Live" on the 15th of June at 2:45 on the main stage.

This is great news! Will you be playing similar things to what you did at Musikmesse Frankfurt? It would also be cool to hear some tough Porcupine Tree sections broken down.

Cheers, Tim

Massimo98
03-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Hi Massimo98,

thanks for the comment about my 'toms and cymbals'. The china cymbals that I use are all Zildjian - 12" & 16" Oriental China Trashes and an 18" Z Custom China. Sorry you can't get into the show in Melbourne, the age limitations are beyond our control. Usually the case is that the local promoter and venue want to make money from selling alcohol and therefore have to have a minimum age limit. We love it when under 18's can come to see our shows.

I will be playing at the Geelong drum festival on the 29th of April (which I believe is close to Melbourne) and if you can come along you might hear a PT song or two.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin its massimo again. Thankyou so much for replying to me that was auesome!
me and my dad really want to come to the Gellong drum festival, but we can't find anything out about it. Do you have anymore info please? . Do you know the venue? . Cheers Massimo.

Gavin Harrison
03-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Hi TitanSound,

I do remember asking the same question many pages back in this thread and if my memory serves me correctly you said it would be best to get in touch with marketing at Sonor to express an interest?

absolutely - Sonor and Zildjian.

Hi Anesth,

This is great news! Will you be playing similar things to what you did at Musikmesse Frankfurt? It would also be cool to hear some tough Porcupine Tree sections broken down.

I'll probably play some of the things I did in Frankfurt - plus some stuff from my latest album with 05Ric and some PT tracks too.

Hi Massimo98,

me and my dad really want to come to the Geelong drum festival, but we can't find anything out about it. Do you have anymore info please? . Do you know the venue?

All the answers are here;

http://www.myspace.com/drumaniamusicden

cheers
Gavin

NeuroAxis
03-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Gavin -

Sorry to keep bothering you with endless transcription questions, but I was wondering if you could help me figure out the fill at 4:23 in 'What Happens Now?' right before the melody leading into all the ending craziness. I have really been struggling with how to hear the exact sticking you use...

03-07-2008, 07:10 PM
hi gavin
i just wanted to know if the ending from even less is a polyrhythm and if not can you tell me what's going on?...thx in advance

Drizzle
03-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Hi Gavin,

A couple of months ago I bought a Axis double pedal, the longboard version, and I'm really pleased with them, after some weeks of getting used to them, I'm totally comfortable with them.

The only small thing that bugs me is that the beaters are not in the center of the drumhead. Only the 'main' beater is in the center and the left beater is way off, so they sound different.

Do you have the same 'problem'?

The only thing I can think of to solve it would be to change the way the pedal grabs on to the bassdrum hoop, and shifting it more to the right so both beaters are more in the center.

Dre

NeuroAxis
03-07-2008, 07:47 PM
hi gavin
i just wanted to know if the ending from even less is a polyrhythm and if not can you tell me what's going on?...thx in advance

That beat is actually one of the simpler polyrhythms GH does. If you just listen to the ride and snare, it's a straight 4/4 groove with the snare on every 4; it just sounds polyrhythmic because the heavy guitar part is in 6/8 (I think, maybe someone can correct me if I'm talking out of my ass), and his kick follows the heavy guitar part. It resolves every fourth measure of the 4/4 groove, and every eighth measure he puts the big tom fill to start the pattern over.

The way I learned this beat was just by only listening to the ride and snare until I could place all the kick accents.

Gavin Harrison
03-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi As NeuroAxis points out the ride is playing,

I was wondering if you could help me figure out the fill at 4:23 in 'What Happens Now?' right before the melody leading into all the ending craziness.

I can't transcribe it right now but I can hear that it contains one of my favorite stickings of a grouping of 5 (in triplet 16ths) R L R R L. If you want an accurate transcription Terry Branam is the man.

Hi 12:5

i just wanted to know if the ending from even less is a polyrhythm and if not can you tell me what's going on?

Yes it's a strange little polyrhythm. As NeuroAxis points out the ride is playing 4 beats to the bar and the snare hits on beat 4. The bass drum is cycling in 3/8 with the guitars. The music is moving around in blocks of 4 bars of 4/4 - but the drum pattern resolve point is 6 bars of 4/4 - which makes it a little odd. I dug it out of my archive of drum charts for you (these 12 bars are of course repeated)..

Hi Drizzle,

The only small thing that bugs me is that the beaters are not in the center of the drumhead. Only the 'main' beater is in the center and the left beater is way off, so they sound different. Do you have the same 'problem'? The only thing I can think of to solve it would be to change the way the pedal grabs on to the bassdrum hoop, and shifting it more to the right so both beaters are more in the center.

That's really funny - that's exactly what I started doing a couple of years ago. I took off the black stops on either side of the front plate and just shifted the whole thing along to the right a couple of inches. I don't really tighten the pedal to the hoop now - but the velcro is SO strong it sticks to the drum mat anyway.

Cheers
Gavin

NeuroAxis
03-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks, I think I can (sort of) hear that sticking in there now. Would this be the same sticking that you break down near the end of the Resolving chapter on Rhythmic Horizons?

Didn't mean to step in and answer 12:5's question for you, this was just one of the first of your weirder beats that I sort of understood, so I thought I could help someone else learn it. I can see now that the whole pattern resolves every 12 bars, I think I was just getting hung up on the big fill you do every 8 bars, thinking that was the resolve point (turns out it's a lot less "simple" than I thought...)

03-07-2008, 11:15 PM
thank you for answering my question...yeah neuroaxis this is roughly what i was thinking but wasn't sure and gavin answered it perfectly...you can tell it's not a gavin harrison - polyrhythm...it's too simple^^;-)

Gavin Harrison
03-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi NeuroAxis,

Thanks, I think I can (sort of) hear that sticking in there now. Would this be the same sticking that you break down near the end of the Resolving chapter on Rhythmic Horizons?

Yes it is. Here's Terry Branam's transcription of it..

(Regarding even Less) I can see now that the whole pattern resolves every 12 bars, I think I was just getting hung up on the big fill you do every 8 bars

What big fill every 8 bars?

cheers
Gavin

NeuroAxis
03-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Awesome! Thanks so much to you and Mr.Branam for taking the time to do this.

I've attached an mp3 of the fill I meant, because I'm really bad at explaining these things. I think it comes every eight bars of the 4/4 snare/ride beat, unless I am counting it wrong.

steste50
03-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Hello Gavin,

As I'm about to build up a small recording equipment I was wondering if u can suggest any PREAMP that's particularly good for recording drums.
p/s: i dun want a big mixer around 'cuz the space is so small.

Thanks again, ciao

K.Howden
03-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Gavin, thankyou for the explanation of "Overriding" and the example pattern, I've been looking at Drum Parts I've used in my band and I found this one:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3085/2322112594_beff4c1b2f_o.jpg

The rest of the band are playing in 4 over the top and I'm playing an Ostinato with the Kick and Snare (which resolves every 5 bars) whilst keeping a 4 pulse on the Ride Bell. Is this an exmaple of Overriding or is there another Rhythmic device at play here?

Thanks for your time,

Kev

cjcdrums
03-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Gavin,

Questions about practicing time-keeping:

I've recorded myself and am aware of a habit to rush fills, should I "compensate" against my natural inclination to rush by dragging fills a commensurate amount in my mind?

What is the best way to correct the tendency to rush (especially in a band situation where a click is impractical and the music is high-energy)?

Finally, are there any specific time-keeping exercises or types of exercises you like to work on to develop your "internal clock"?

Any and all responses are welcome, this is quite a key issue for me at the moment.

Thanks,
-Charles

Gavin Harrison
03-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi NeuroAxis,

I've attached an mp3 of the fill I meant, because I'm really bad at explaining these things. I think it comes every eight bars of the 4/4 snare/ride beat, unless I am counting it wrong.

I understand what you mean now. It's just a little bass drum ruff leading on to the last 16ths of bar 8 (of every 12). I didn't really think of it as a big fill.

Hi steste50,

As I'm about to build up a small recording equipment I was wondering if u can suggest any PREAMP that's particularly good for recording drums. p/s: i dun want a big mixer around 'cuz the space is so small.

I can recommend the Mackie desks. I believe the new small Onyx ones are really good. I've never been disappointed by Mackie preamps. I have of course used many others in bigger studios - but there's so many other variables going on that it's almost impossible to tell if the mic amps were the one thing that was making so much difference. I did an A/B test with API preamps and REALLY couldn't tell the difference between them and the Mackie 32:8 bus.

Hi K.Howden,

The rest of the band are playing in 4 over the top and I'm playing an Ostinato with the Kick and Snare (which resolves every 5 bars) whilst keeping a 4 pulse on the Ride Bell. Is this an example of Overriding or is there another Rhythmic device at play here?

Yes I would class this as overriding. Your kick and snare are cycling in 5/8 (which is obviously why it takes 5 bars of 4/4 to resolve) whilst your ride cymbal is just play straight quarter notes over the top of it. Nice pattern.

Hi cjcdrums,

I've recorded myself and am aware of a habit to rush fills, should I "compensate" against my natural inclination to rush by dragging fills a commensurate amount in my mind?

Ideally you need to be in control. You need to hear your timing whilst you are playing it. It's too late to only hear it when you listen back to a recording. Obviously practise your fills to a click as much as you can - be aware of the subdivisions you're using. If you're play a groove that has 8th notes on the hi hat - and then you make a fill using 16ths make sure they are true - and not faster or slower 16ths - sing the 16th note subdivisions to yourself as you are playing the fill. That's the kind of thing you can practise with a metronome and a drum pad - try switching up and down lots of subdivisions.
When you're about to make a fill start pumping your hi hat foot in 8ths (or quarters if it's a fast tempo - and 16ths if it's a really slow tempo) and keep that going all the way through the fill. Sometimes you just have to get used to the idea of deliberately holding back.

Finally, are there any specific time-keeping exercises or types of exercises you like to work on to develop your "internal clock"?

There are many ways to work on your sense of internal clock - but you really have to train your ear to hear it. Firstly play to really slow clicks. Quarter notes at 40 bpm or slower - you're going to have to start making accurate subdivisions in your head to fill the space between those clicks. Then try the opposite and play in between a click that's running at 250bpm (so you are playing off the click)- with each limb individually for a minute or so. Try that at tempos 200 -300. Try programing clicks of a 4 bar cycle where the 4th bar is silent.

Cheers
Gavin

JeffV71
03-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi Gavin,

I was reading back in these posts about your mic selection in your studio. In particular you mentioned you were using a pair of close ambient mics (Pair of Neumann TLM 103's). Where are these mics placed, and how high? Are there any delay issues?

Thanks!!
Jeff

cjcdrums
03-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Interesting, Gavin. Many thanks!

euphoric_anomaly
03-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Gavin,

I was wondering if any of your solo or band work has drum tabs posted anywhere online ? I'm really interested in seeing how you put together that fast roll (sounds stuttered) right before the guitar solo in "Unsettled". It's a combination of tom/bass/snare , but they sound choppy and almost off time.

One more question, what exactly is a ratamaque ? Would that be something like what Steve Gadd does a lot of ? Snare followed by Tom followed by bass. Sort of a fast triplet using snare/tom/bass or tom/tom/bass. In a rolling effect. In fact it sounds like you use that in the beginning of "Unsettled".

Take Care

Eric

Gavin Harrison
03-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi JeffV71,

I was reading back in these posts about your mic selection in your studio. In particular you mentioned you were using a pair of close ambient mics (Pair of Neumann TLM 103's). Where are these mics placed, and how high? Are there any delay issues?

These mics are placed directly above my head. About 6 inches above and spaced the width of my head - and angled out like ears. It the closest I could get to "a drummers point of view" in terms of sound. I started moving the mics back into that position when I recorded "Fear Of A Blank Planet". I wanted to get more of the overall sound and concentrate less on just capturing the cymbals. In fact I get a more even balance of the cymbals back there too. I reverse the phase in the mixing process - because the snare drum sounds fatter that way round.

Hi euphoric_anomaly,

I was wondering if any of your solo or band work has drum tabs posted anywhere online ? I'm really interested in seeing how you put together that fast roll (sounds stuttered) right before the guitar solo in "Unsettled". It's a combination of tom/bass/snare , but they sound choppy and almost off time.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'drum tabs'. Is that the same as notation? Probably the most notational transcriptions of things I've played are right here in this thread. The fill you're referring to in "Unsettled" 3:47 is just 16th note triplets with the right hand playing the toms and the left hand playing the snare drum (there's no bass drum in it). The right hand goes up and down the 5 toms in a very fast movement.

One more question, what exactly is a ratamaque ?

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments/38singleratamacue.html

cheers
Gavin

JeffV71
03-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks very much for your reply! I think I speak for all of us here at Drummerworld that your opinions are highly valued and respected. Your experience and abilities in drumming, recording, and in the industry are inspiring. They provides us amazing education we can take with us down the road. It's always an honor and pleasure to bounce questions off of you!

Take care,
Jeff

Terry Branam
03-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Congratulations Gavin for winning "Best Prog Drummer" in the Modern Drummer Reader's Poll!! (some fierce competition here!)

Also "Fear of a Blank Planet" took second place for "Best Recorded Performance".

Top notch work, man!

Terry

David Floegel
03-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi Gavin,

just two questions :)
-1- Can you please make a photo of your custom made "chime/bell holder?"
-2- Can you name me the exact sizes (maybe in centimetre) of your bells?

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything :(

erich777
03-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Mr Harrison:

I have a question for you about your In Ear Monitors (IEM)
Do you control the mix in your IEM's or is it done by a side stage sound engineer? How is the bass end of the spectrum handled? Do you get enough kick in the IEM's or do you have a tactile speaker on your throne?

I ask because I'm a Dad trying to make sure my son, and his band mates still have all their hearing when they get to the professional level, and since you and PT are one of their current role models, "Gavin says" may have more sway than "Dad says".

Also, Does Colin Edwin or Ian Bond have similar forums that they follow?

Erich Rienecker
Monterey Ca.

Midnite Mike
03-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey Gavin,
What was the name of the company that you hired to find the reverb time in your large room? Can you remember the program they used by any chance? Thanks

MM

Chris Edwards
03-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi Gavin,

just two questions :)

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything :(

Hi,

If you haven't seen it, Gav posted this info (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=246160) about the little cymbals themselves...

Chris Edwards
03-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Do you control the mix in your IEM's or is it done by a side stage sound engineer? How is the bass end of the spectrum handled? Do you get enough kick in the IEM's or do you have a tactile speaker on your throne?

Hi,

Info on PT monitoring arrangements in this post (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=202326).

I ask because I'm a Dad trying to make sure my son, and his band mates still have all their hearing when they get to the professional level

Yep. Playing a drumkit at a decent level for a decent amount of time WILL permanently damage your hearing. And that's before you add in a band, with associated loud guitar amps etc etc.

and since you and PT are one of their current role models, "Gavin says" may have more sway than "Dad says".

Gavin mentions protecting his hearing in the forum e.g here (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=303760).

Good luck!

K.Howden
03-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Gavin,

I've got a small challenge for you or anyone else reading this thread who wishes to.
I've attached a very short MP3 file of a layered Acousticy soundscape type piece that I've written (inspired by Ric) but I'm struggling to find a Drum Groove for it. I was wondering if you or anyone has advice on how I should approach the Drums for this as I'm rather stumped at the minute, just as information the piece is 4/4 4/4 11/8 as a three Bar cycle, the BPM of the piece is 110 Crochets Beats per Minute.

I look forward to any input that can be provided by you and the readers of this thread

Hope everyone's well,

Kev

p.s. I'll understand if you don't want to do this it might be a tiny bit time consuming and you probably have a lot going on :)

franklinj
03-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Hey Gavin, I hate asking you for another one of your licks, but I cant help it.

On the youtube version of "Futile", theres a fill that goes from 1:38- 1:45ish. Its an incredibly sick fill, and I would love it if either you or Terry Branam had a transcription for it.

NeuroAxis
03-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Mr. Harrison -

I'm in a bit of a jam and I wondered if you or anyone else who feels like taking a crack at it might be able to help me out of it.

Tomorrow I'm trying out for a band that has some pretty tricky rhythmic stuff in their music. I've learned most of it but I am stuck on one fill that I just can't hear exactly what their former drummer was doing.

I've attached an mp3 of the fill, and below it I've attached what I think he's doing on the fill, programmed on my drum machine and slowed way down. The fill in question is the last big kick/snare/tom pattern at the end of the section, right before the quick 16th note double bass beat and the two tags (at about 0:09). I know I'm close, but the part of the song is so frenetic that I can't tell if I am right or if it's just close enough that it sounds right to me.

Like I said, anyone who wants to take a crack at it is welcome to. The audition is tomorrow so any and all help is very *very* much appreciated. Thanks!

All music copyright Batcastle 2008

NeuroAxis
03-16-2008, 03:01 AM
I look forward to any input that can be provided by you and the readers of this thread

If you have the means to do so, I would suggest looping the piece, playing along to it, and forcing yourself to keep playing until you come up with something you like. I used to do this with parts that I was stumped as to what to play over them (I would use regular iPod-style earbuds with Vic Firth isolation earmuffs over them (because I can't afford IEMs); it cut out just enough of the drums that I could hear the music I was playing to over them). Invariably, you will eventually play something that gives you an emotional reaction to the piece, and I would use that as a starting point for ideas.

Personally, I think it would be kind of counterproductive to have me tell you what I would play over the piece, because that would be my approach that reflects how I hear the piece, rather than your own.

Really nice acoustic piece, though. Well written, and there are definitely a lot of interesting rhythmic possibilities in there.

Good luck...

K.Howden
03-16-2008, 06:19 PM
If you have the means to do so, I would suggest looping the piece, playing along to it, and forcing yourself to keep playing until you come up with something you like.

Thanks for the input Neuro Axis and thankyou for the kind words.

I have looped it and tried to see what I can come up with but the 4/4 4/4 11/8 can be different depending on how you Count certain Melodic groupings/phrases within the piece, so setting 4,4,11 out as the Concrete way of counting the piece is probably a lack of good judgment on my part and I must note this was written a long time ago before I fully understood Time-Signatures so I guess you can throw that way of Counting the piece out of the window.

To me the piece almost seems almost "a-rhythmic" or extremley ambigous at least, and reminds me somewhat of Church Bell music which seems to have a very free and very ambigous quality to the Rhythm of it.

Either way its hurting my Brain!! haha

Hope everyone's well,

Kev

Gavin Harrison
03-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi Kalma,

I can't make a photo of the holder - but a forum member Angelo made one almost identical

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=358130&postcount=1533

The bells range from about 6" down to 4"

Hi erich777,

Also, Does Colin Edwin or Ian Bond have similar forums that they follow?

I don't think so. I believe Chris Edwards has pointed you to the right info regarding your other questions about monitoring.

Hi Midnite Mike,

What was the name of the company that you hired to find the reverb time in your large room? Can you remember the program they used by any chance? Thanks

I think they were called Studio Wizard in the UK. The program was called MLSSA

Hi K.Howden,

I've attached a very short MP3 file of a layered Acousticy soundscape type piece that I've written (inspired by Ric) but I'm struggling to find a Drum Groove for it. I was wondering if you or anyone has advice on how I should approach the Drums for this as I'm rather stumped at the minute, just as information the piece is 4/4 4/4 11/8 as a three Bar cycle, the BPM of the piece is 110 Crochets Beats per Minute.

There's obviously many ways to navigate through this rhythm. It sounds like you've already got a 4 over 3 polyrhythm going on with the guitar line - so it could be nice to pick up on that and play two bars of 12/8 + one bar of 3/8 at the end. That would keep the 3/8 (dotted quarter note) going all the time as a pulse. Then you could switch to playing 3 bars of 4/4 + a 3/8 bar on the end. Perhaps in the 3/8 bar you could divide it into 2 by playing 2 dotted 8ths.

They would be the two most of obvious ways I would think of chopping up this guitar pattern. There are limitless other ways - but it really depends what you're trying to convey. Do you want the listener to be able to follow it - or do you want to confuse them? Do you want it to have a comfortable groove?

Hi franklinj,

On the youtube version of "Futile", theres a fill that goes from 1:38- 1:45ish. Its an incredibly sick fill, and I would love it if either you or Terry Branam had a transcription for it.

That's a whole solo section rather than just one fill - I don't know if Terry has time to wade through it. I know I haven't - sorry

Cheers
Gavin

K.Howden
03-17-2008, 09:00 PM
There's obviously many ways to navigate through this rhythm. It sounds like you've already got a 4 over 3 polyrhythm going on with the guitar line - so it could be nice to pick up on that and play two bars of 12/8 + one bar of 3/8 at the end. That would keep the 3/8 (dotted quarter note) going all the time as a pulse. Then you could switch to playing 3 bars of 4/4 + a 3/8 bar on the end. Perhaps in the 3/8 bar you could divide it into 2 by playing 2 dotted 8ths.

They would be the two most of obvious ways I would think of chopping up this guitar pattern. There are limitless other ways - but it really depends what you're trying to convey. Do you want the listener to be able to follow it - or do you want to confuse them? Do you want it to have a comfortable groove?

Gavin

I haven't quite decided yet how I want it to feel but you've given me some good food for thought.

Using the 12/8+3/8 combination it occured there that you could combine the total of 8th notes pre measure to create 15/8. There are a number of subdivisions this could be broken down into for example; 7/8+4/4 or 6/8+9/8 (to maintain a triplet feel) to keep a constant feel to the Groove the 15/8 could be divided into 3 as 5/8+5/8+5/8.

Thanks for the help in getting the Ball rolling,

Hope you're well,

Kev

euphoric_anomaly
03-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Gavin,

I was wondering what time signature "swerve" is in ? It almost sounds like a mix between 4/4, 5/4 and some other strange combination. I'm gathering from the title that the time signature changes frequently.

Also, near the end of the song you play a part that sounds like it has some choppy or dotted notes on the ride. I cannot count the timing you play on that ride, first it sounds like 6 or so 8th notes, but then it changes again. haha you continue to amaze AND confuse me.

Gavin Harrison
03-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi euphoric_anomaly,

"Swerve" is all in 4/4. You might be getting confused by some of the displaced snare drum/bass drum hits that I do. The patterns on the ride cymbal are just 16th note syncopations. Sometimes there are little double stroke rolls going on between the right hand (on the cymbal) and the left hand (on the hi hat).

Cheers
Gavin

Tjalling
03-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Dear mr. Gavin Harrison,

I've been listening to Porcupine Tree since when I was 13 years old, so that was 4 years ago. Since then I love the music and I love your sound and the way you produce your sounds on the drums. After I heared .3 from In Absentia I began to play music myself, and because of you I'm still drumming today. In my opinion you're the most skilled drummer out there this day with the best techniques and the most musical 'feel' as a drummer I've ever heard. Like on the DVD during Buying New Soul, the way your drumming blends into the rest of the music is just beautiful to hear. I've been to 4 live show's here in Holland (013, Paradiso, Melkweg, Heineken Music Hall) and I'll see you again during PinkPop.
Long story short:

Thanks for all your inspiration and thanks for your beautiful and awesome drumming

Greeting,

Tjalling

Vicarious
03-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Gavin, I've just read you're scheduled to play at Modern Drummer Festival 2008! Congratulations! This is awesome.

Sorry if this has already been said, I was just too damn excited to check back pages.

crookedrook
03-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Hi Gavin,

So glad that you can find time out of your busy schedule to write back. With all the technical drum questions I'm not sure the drum audience knows that you will be playing with King Crimson this summer. Have you been rehearsing with K.C. lately? I think I only saw 3 U.S. dates so far, is this correct?

P.S. I have a 4 yr old daughter, Ashley, who just loves to hear you play. She will request a P.T. song when we are either in the car or at home. If you don't mind would you just say, Hi to her...that would make her day.

Thanks,
Rob

mottnt
03-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi Gavin,
I read on Modern Drummer's web site that you will be coming to the MD festival this year. Very excited about that!!. You're so innovative and have a very unique sound. I have front row tickets for both days and I can hardly wait. Congratulations!!

euphoric_anomaly
03-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi Gavin

I was studying "Unsettled" today (one of my favorite songs so far) and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the song starts out with 8 bars of 4/4 (excellent displacement on the snare drum there), and then right before the vocals come in does it switch to 7/8 ?

Thanks

Eric

Gavin Harrison
03-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi Tjalling,

thanks for the kind words!!

Hi Vicarious & mottnt,

yes I'm very excited to be playing at the MD festival.

Hi crookedrook,

Have you been rehearsing with K.C. lately? I think I only saw 3 U.S. dates so far, is this correct?

I start rehearsals soon. It's not unimaginable that there could be more dates in the US.

Hi euphoric_anomaly,

I was studying "Unsettled" today (one of my favorite songs so far) and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the song starts out with 8 bars of 4/4 (excellent displacement on the snare drum there), and then right before the vocals come in does it switch to 7/8 ?

Yes you are correct about the intro being 8 bars of 4/4 - that's how I think of it - although after I recorded it and was working it out to play on drum clinics - I realised that the drums play 3 patterns of 9/8 and a 5/8 to fit into every 4 bars of the 4/4. I think that's why the snare drum accents sound so displaced. Just before the vocals start - the drums go into 7/16 + 5/16 (which adds up to the same amount as a bar of 3/4 or 12/8). I like to play with these 'rhythmical options' and mess around with the rhythmic perspective of the listener.

Cheers
Gavin

PTEmil
03-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Hello Mr. Harrison

My forum troubles is finally solved, it was just a bug I think. Anyway, today I noticed that PT is going Ruisrock! That's great as I've tickets since long! I'm looking forward to it!

Keep drumming! Your awesome!
/Emil

cvighals
03-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi Gavin!

I just wanted to tell you that the new ep is absolutely fantastic, the songs are great and your drumming (as always) a great inspiration to me!

I got to see both your shows in Norway last year, and the second one at "Sentrum Scene" is probably my greatest concert experience ever!
The way you played "What Happens Now?" was just hilariously good. And finally I got to hear your rendition of my favourite of the older era Porcupine Tree songs (Dark Matter).

Anyway I have a little question.. As I was digging around the net to see if there were some forgotten Gavin gems around, I came across a clip on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toTY1xvmPeY

And Im not a 100% percent sure it is you, but pretty close though.
Anyway my question to you is not a technical one, but Im wondering if you could tell us about the Iggy Pop gig(s). How did you get it, and is there any memorable moments you could tell us about!

Keep On Rockin'
Chris!

Edit: Found another one of those: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_-858AdxFE&feature=related

DTrocks
03-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Are you using a standard zildjian k-ride on futile on the rythmic horizons dvd? And on the arriving somwhere dvd?

are you able to get a soundclip of just the ride? I'm wondering if i'm going to buy one...

cheers!
Sondre

Sol Good
03-22-2008, 11:53 PM
are you able to get a soundclip of just the ride? I'm wondering if i'm going to buy one...

The Zildjian site has sound clips of all their cymbals:
http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/default.ad2

And the ride in Futile...chances are it's the one mentioned here perhaps:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=97300&postcount=35

Gavin Harrison
03-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Hi cvighals,

Anyway my question to you is not a technical one, but Im wondering if you could tell us about the Iggy Pop gig(s). How did you get it, and is there any memorable moments you could tell us about!

Yup, that is me - (22 years ago!!) That video is quite painfully out of sync ..and can you believe that hair cut? Who didn't have an embarrassing hair style in the 80's? A friend of mine told me that Iggy was auditioning drummers in London in Early 1986. I found out who was organising the auditions and asked if I could be included. I found out the two songs they were trying drummers out with and I went and bought the records. I learnt the songs, auditioned and got the gig.
I'd never seen Iggy Pop live - until I was sitting behind him playing the drums - and boy was he amazing. I've never seen anyone work harder on stage.

Hi DTrocks,

Are you using a standard zildjian k-ride on futile on the rythmic horizons dvd? And on the arriving somwhere dvd? ..are you able to get a soundclip of just the ride? I'm wondering if i'm going to buy one...

On the "Futile" video I'm using my old vintage 20" Avedis Zildjian ride. The Arriving Somewhere DVD is a standard 20" K Ride...the same one I still use with PT. I don't have a soundclip of it - but I can tell you that it's a very versatile ride that I've used in many different musical situations.

cheers
Gavin

DTrocks
03-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Hey!

Do you have any new projects that you´re working on?

By the way I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZndLbpnR4U
Very cool little solo!

cheers
Sondre

Drizzle
03-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi Gavin,

I noticed on the Iggy Pop video that you wear gloves.
When and why did you start using them and since you don't use them any more why did you stop using them.

Although I never tried gloves myself I can't really imagine it would be comfortable.

Greetz,
Dre

Gavin Harrison
03-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi DTrocks,

Do you have any new projects that you´re working on? By the way I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZndLbpnR4U Very cool little solo!

At the moment I'm trying to learn King Crimson songs - but I have written nearly a whole new album with 05Ric - hope to get it out later this year. Yes that video is from 1996 in Milan Italy .

Hi Drizzle,

I noticed on the Iggy Pop video that you wear gloves. When and why did you start using them and since you don't use them any more why did you stop using them.

I stopped using them straight after that tour. I never found them very comfortable to play with, but I had a lot of pain with blisters etc. Now what I have to do is go through rehearsals and the first couple of shows with PT until I build up my callouses. After a week on the road my hands look like this - which I know isn't pretty but once they're back I've got no more blisters for the rest of the tour.

The only other problem I get is that sometimes the skin splits along the groove (of the finger print) on the end of my middle finger right hand (in the pic above) and on my small finger left hand. These pictures show quite accurately how my grip is different for both hands. In the early stages of rehearsals or shows I sometimes use band aids (recommended to me by my friend Todd Sucherman) called NexCare Comfort Strips - they really are better than all the others I've tried because they stretch and have some grip to their surface.

cheers
Gavin

NeuroAxis
03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
[I] ..and can you believe that hair cut? Who didn't have an embarrassing hair style in the 80's? \

That is a pretty killer mullet, I have to say

Drizzle
03-24-2008, 10:57 PM
I sometimes have similar problems, I've split the skin along the groove on my pinky finger a couple of times, but I thought it had to do with my hands being to dry.

Have you ever considered using tape on the drumsticks?

Dre

Zildjian232
03-25-2008, 12:09 AM
hello gavin,

I would like to congradulate you on your new band membership in king crimson. Must of been an overwhelming offer. Ive been following your work for a while now, and sounds like you will be a great audition to the band.

What are the differences between fripp and wilsons creative processes?

I was going to play your piece "19 days" for my berklee school of music audition, but i ended up scratching that idea, for OBVIOUS reasons.

I see that your going to play some shows on the east coast later this year with KC. You guys better come to LA!

best of luck,

mike

David Floegel
03-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Hi Gavin,

some basic questions about chimes, again..
It's correct, that chimes, made of cymbals with higher quality, are louder than for example a Magic Cymbal, right?
How should I should I fix the screw of the cymbal? More hard or soft? Should the Chime swing long or short?
Is there a "norm" how many edge should be from the bell to the outside of the cymbal, or rather the minimum-size of a chime?

Gavin Harrison
03-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi Drizzle,

Have you ever considered using tape on the drumsticks?

No because I break so many sticks.

Hi Zildjian232,

What are the differences between fripp and wilsons creative processes?

I don't know because I haven't been in a creative situation with Robert Fripp yet.

Hi Kalma,

It's correct, that chimes, made of cymbals with higher quality, are louder than for example a Magic Cymbal, right?

What's a "Magic Cymbal" ? ...a lower quality grade cymbal? If so - I don't know because I've never made a bell/chime from a cymbal like that.

How should I should I fix the screw of the cymbal? More hard or soft? Should the Chime swing long or short?

I have mine fairly loose so they can swing freely.

Is there a "norm" how many edge should be from the bell to the outside of the cymbal, or rather the minimum-size of a chime?

I think if you made a bell/chime much smaller than 4" it would probably be pretty quiet....but I don't know as I haven't made one.

cheers
Gavin

Anesth
03-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Your chimes seem to be getting quite popular Gavin. Zildjian should consider selling them as as Gavin Harrison signature chime pack!

alinux
03-25-2008, 05:14 PM
I read every day questions and answers on this forum. Thanks to everyone for sharing own expiriences and a Big thank to Gavin for his true spirit of Open Source Musician!

There is OSS = Open Source Software.
Gavin = OSM = Open Source Musician.

Gavin thanks a lot!

With Respect,

Vladimer

DTrocks
03-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I totaly agree with Anesth! That had been really cool! But then you need to sell a special stand for the chimes too.

David Floegel
03-26-2008, 11:37 AM
The Chime Stand will be produced by Sonor ;)

I'm going to build one in the next days, but I don't know how to fix it on a cymbal stand. Anyone an Idea?

Ayl20
03-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi Gavin,

I was wondering a little about how you went about laying down your part for the song 'moonloop'. I wonder because, to me, it sounds like a song in which the drumming is improvised to an extent. I can follow the different grooves throughout the song and their form, but there is so much going on in that part that i percieve to be 'random' that i wondered if in fact you did improvise during your recording.

For example, during the first 5 minutes of the song there is a scattering of different ride bell accents and other nuances that don't seem (to me) to be in any formal structure or pattern (hope this make sense?!). If it were just one or two of these then i wouldn't have thought that it was improvised. But, because there are so many throughout the song and therefore so many for you to have remembered i thought that maybe you had just improvised those parts during the recording?! Just played by feel...

Either way it gives the song a great 'airy', 'scatterd' quality to it which works so well with the rest of the bands playing.

Also, if you did improvise during the recording of moonloop, did you improvise during the recording of any other PT songs??

Cheers,

-Luke

P.S Can't wait to see you and Porcupine Tree in Sydney!!!

Gavin Harrison
03-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi Ayl20,

I didn't play on Moonloop that was well before my time in the band. That would be Chris Maitland on drums. I've never played it live either.

Cheers
Gavin

K.Howden
03-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi Gavin,

Back in Spring 2006 you did a couple of excercises in Rhythm Magazine. The first excercise was about the importance of making sure that you were accurate when a Hi-hat (or Cymbal) hit landed with a Snare or Bass and the second was an explanation of how you developed the Rhytmic Illusion for Mother and Child Divided using 10/16 I beleive.
I've since misplaced the Magazine and CD and was wondering if you know where I could get an MP3 of the excercises please.

Hope you're well,

Kev

Ayl20
03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh okay. For some reason i thought that you had re-done moonloop with PT for 'The Sky Moves Sideways' Remastered version where you recorded Dislocated Day and The Moon Touches Your Shoulder. Sorry about that. I just heard it a few days ago for the first time and i thought that it sounded like you were playing as i've never really heard Chris Maitland play (well i guess i have now) and i didn't think that it sounded like him.

raguer
03-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Gavin i love your way of play the drums, how you put a lot of mental aspects on drumming, i have a few questions for u, how u develop yours skills in odd times drumming and how start the idea of your illusion rhythms, and to finish can u give us a little transcription from P tree futile song, i dont understand some parts of the metrics of this song maybe one little transcription coul make me so happy to me and another fans of this great song

cheers from mexico
Raul GuERECA

Gavin Harrison
03-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi K.Howden,

Back in Spring 2006 you did a couple of excercises in Rhythm Magazine. I've since misplaced the Magazine and CD and was wondering if you know where I could get an MP3 of the excercises please.

Sorry but I don't have that issue - they didn't send me a copy and I was away when it came out. Maybe another reader of this thread has it?

Hi Ayl20,

For some reason i thought that you had re-done moonloop with PT for 'The Sky Moves Sideways' Remastered version where you recorded Dislocated Day and The Moon Touches

Actually now you come to mention it - I think I did replace some drum loops that were on the original version of Dislocated Day but I can't remember the others.

Hi raguer,

i have a few questions for u, how u develop yours skills in odd times drumming and how start the idea of your illusion rhythms

They're kind of connected. I was never good at odd times and would get lost very easily - and that's when I started to hear displaced rhythms - and modulated rhythms. I worked on odd times by looping odd time bass riffs and just jamming over them for hours until it felt like second nature. It's much easier when there's a riff because you just sing it to yourself and you don't have to count. I never count when I play.

can u give us a little transcription from P tree futile song, i dont understand some parts of the metrics of this song maybe one little transcription coul make me so happy to me and another fans of this great song

I don't have the time right now - but I believe Terry Branam was working on a basic bar chart for it.

Cheers
Gavin

Terry Branam
03-27-2008, 08:18 PM
can u give us a little transcription from P tree futile song, i dont understand some parts of the metrics of this song maybe one little transcription coul make me so happy to me and another fans of this great song

I don't have the time right now - but I believe Terry Branam was working on a basic bar chart for it.

Yes, indeed I am. I'm almost finished, but had to temporarily put it on the sideline to finish another project I have going right now. I will post it here soon when it is complete and after Gavin looks it over.

In the meantime, try searching this thread to find Gavin's explanation, and try counting 4/4 through the majority of it. (except for the chorus) It's pretty tricky, so good luck!

Terry

David Floegel
03-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi,

@Terry: What programm do you use to write the notation?

raguer
03-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey Gav thanks for take the time to answer you are Amazing drummer and very humble
thats make u one of the very best, god bless u man, never change¡

Warm Hug from Mexico :)
Raul Güereca,

Terry Branam
03-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi,

@Terry: What programm do you use to write the notation?

Hi Kalma,

I am using the Finale software. It's pretty much all I use these days. Although Sibelius is very nice.

Terry

David Floegel
03-27-2008, 09:14 PM
I downloaded Finale 2008 but I couldn't set where for example the hihat should be, which means on which line..
Do you know where I can edit that?

szuwi
03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Gavin...

You are the Champ!!!:)

I am interesting what you think about samples of drum patterns which I recorded. I am not a drummer, I am playing the piano, synths etc., but I very like to compose drums patterns. In these works I recorded everything alone, except a few part of the guitar

http://www.top-info.com.pl/michal/sample1.mp3

http://www.top-info.com.pl/michal/sample2.mp3

http://www.top-info.com.pl/michal/sample3.mp3

http://www.top-info.com.pl/michal/CT.mp3

http://www.top-info.com.pl/michal/intro.mp3

All this samples was recorded at my Home Studio using only computer (Bass and drums are from VST), KORG PADKontrol and keys (Virus TI, V-Synth GT and Clavia Nord Stage 88)

best regards

Michal.

PTEmil
03-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi Gavin!

From the PT DVD I noticed you all have a ear plug (except Steven, but hes hair is in the way!), is that a metronome? It would be quite hard to sync with the screen at Halo without a metronome.

cheers
/Emil

YeahGoodTimesFunStuff
03-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Hey guys,

My roomates and I jam together once and a while across town but live together in an apartment complex. Due to this fact our drummer is unable to practice on anything but a practice pad at home (electronic drums being too expensive for us college folk).

Has anyone, including Gavin Harrison, ever tried out the game Rock Band? While not even close to a substitute for real drums, I think it might keep our drummer's moral up. Should we try it out?

Thanks, and you rock.

Gus
03-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi again Gavin,

I like very much the opening fill in FOR LACK OF, maybe some quintuplets on toms and zil-bell, with some notes in the bass drum?...i´m not sure

Thank you for give us a piece of your time here so frecuently, it says a lot of you.

Take care,
Gustavo

Gavin Harrison
03-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi szuwi,

I am interesting what you think about samples of drum patterns which I recorded.

sounds very good, shame it's just programmed drums and not someone playing them...but I like some of the patterns.

Hi PTEmil,

From the PT DVD I noticed you all have a ear plug (except Steven, but hes hair is in the way!), is that a metronome? It would be quite hard to sync with the screen at Halo without a metronome.

yes, it's been discussed quite a few times - we do all wear 'in ear monitors' (Steven has just one ear in). Of course to keep the films in sync there has to be a click.

Hi YeahGoodTimesFunStuff,

Has anyone, including Gavin Harrison, ever tried out the game Rock Band?

sorry - I've never heard of it - but I'm really out of touch regarding games etc. (AKA too old).

Hi Gus,

I like very much the opening fill in FOR LACK OF, maybe some quintuplets on toms and zil-bell, with some notes in the bass drum?

They are groupings of 5/16ths rather than quintuplets - but I'm glad you like it !!!!

Cheers
Gavin

asmodeus
03-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi Gavin! how are you?

if I remember correctly you mentioned some time ago that you would like the idea of doing something with Fredrik Thordendal from Meshuggah. I don't know what chances there are, but I wanted to let you know I would be thrilled (and I think a good amount of music lovers too) if it would ever happen!

Cheers!

miha
03-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Hi Gavin! how are you?

if I remember correctly you mentioned some time ago that you would like the idea of doing something with Fredrik Thordendal from Meshuggah. I don't know what chances there are, but I wanted to let you know I would be thrilled (and I think a good amount of music lovers too) if it would ever happen!

Cheers!

And then do the drum battle with Morgan Agren. Now that would be the (friendly) clash of titans! :)

gibeachhead
03-29-2008, 04:39 AM
Hey Gavin,

Did you ever attend college/university before ultimately playing drums as a career in the music industry? If so, were you majoring in music or did you have other plans?

Once again we appreciate you taking your time to answer our questions!

Thanks again,

Brent

Gavin Harrison
03-30-2008, 01:16 AM
Hi asmodeus,

No one would be more thrilled than me!!

Hi gibeachhead,

Did you ever attend college/university before ultimately playing drums as a career in the music industry? If so, were you majoring in music or did you have other plans?

I didn't attend any college - I left school 2 weeks before my 16th birthday because I had a gig that ran for 6 months.

Cheers
Gavin

garycat
03-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi Gavin,

Regarding your split skin in your finger, have you ever tried superglue? It's a trick that rock climbers use as their skin gets dry and split from the chalk they use. Superglue was originally developed by the U.S. military to close wounds during the Vietnam war so it's fine to use on skin.

Just make sure you wait a few mins before picking your sticks up afterwards, or you may not be able to put them down again!

Love your work. I'm a big fan.
Gary

Jit420
03-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi Gavin!!

Sorry I didn't have time to read all the posts in this thread
and congrts you've won MD Magazine best Prog Drummer again

and I wanted to ask you what's the song title in this vid?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyy0nRVHnQM

and where can i find it?
thats the vid that I found out you,
one of the best drumming I've ever heard.

Gavin Harrison
03-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi garycat,

Regarding your split skin in your finger, have you ever tried superglue? It's a trick that rock climbers use as their skin gets dry and split from the chalk they use. Superglue was originally developed by the U.S. military to close wounds during the Vietnam war so it's fine to use on skin.

I didn't know that - thanks for the tip - I'll try it out next time.

Hi Jit420,

congrts you've won MD Magazine best Prog Drummer

thanks - (I don't think it's been officially announced yet).

and I wanted to ask you what's the song title in this vid?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyy0nRVHnQM and where can i find it?
thats the vid that I found out you, one of the best drumming I've ever heard.

The tune is called "19 Days" it's on my DVD "Rhythmic Horizons" with a playalong version in mp3 format plus a midi file version so you can slow it down or repeat just certain sections however you want. The video was shot by Bernhard Castiglioni at the Frankfurt Muisc show in 2007 and then uploaded on Drummerworld - (and it's a higher quality version than YouTube). http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/gavinharrison2.html

cheers
Gavin

XboxIsAGodToMe
03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
I agree about "19 Days!" The drumming is, as usual, amazing! It is what finally gave me that "HOLY CRAP I GET IT!" moment with crazy odd times. I would have always thought counting 19/8 would be insane, but after seeing how you break it up into 7-7-5, I finally got it!

You are honestly the biggest inspiration to my playing. I notice little things here and there that I do, and I think, "Oh god, this sounds like Gavin!" The weird thing is that it's not all the crazy stuff, it's little things like ghost notes, and just certain sticking patterns that just sound like stuff you do.

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to interact with us here! It is very much appreciated!
Josh

GretschAttack
03-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Dear Gavin:

First off I would like to say that your drumming is a true inspiration. Trains and Lazarus are probably my two favorite tracks to play along to. I've been recently trying to pick up the German grip on my left hand because I feel that the grip I'm using now (American) lacks a certain finesse.. When you first implemented German grip in your playing did you practice rudiments on a practice pad or just used it as much in your playing on the kit as much as possible? Also, when tuning your snare (I am in love with your snare sound) do you use a "Bob Gatzen approach" with the batter head tuned to a C/C# and the reverse head an A/A#? My 13" snare doesn't seem to agree with that tuning very much...

Thank you so much for the soulful playing, Gavin!

szuwi
04-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi Gavin...

Is it possible to contact with you via private message ?

reagrds

Michal.

supermac
04-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Gavin,

Discovered you playing last year. Massively impressed and inspired. It's nice to have a Brit drummer who can mix it with the American big guns.

Anyway mate, a question:

On your latest DVD, on a couple of occasions, while soloing, you have an open hi-hat, then suddenly you switch to closed hi-hat, while playing double-bass drums.

What exactly is going on there? Is it a piece of hardwhere I haven't come across?

Secondly, have you any plans to play in Newcastle UK in the near future.

Best wishes

Drizzle
04-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi Gavin,

In the basic groove of the song Clock of Drop, do you play the hihat between the tom and snare hits??? If so, how do you play it, what's the sticking?? I'm confused ;(

Great groove by the way, simple, fun and effective..

Cheers, Dre

Gavin Harrison
04-02-2008, 01:29 AM
Hi GretschAttack,

When you first implemented German grip in your playing did you practice rudiments on a practice pad or just used it as much in your playing on the kit as much as possible?

I did both - although most of my early rudiment practise was on a pad.

Also, when tuning your snare (I am in love with your snare sound) do you use a "Bob Gatzen approach" with the batter head tuned to a C/C# and the reverse head an A/A#? My 13" snare doesn't seem to agree with that tuning very much...

No I don't, but I've followed a lot of Bob's advice from watching many of his clips on tuning on YouTube - plus I have one of his DVDs too.

Hi szuwi,

It is - but please bear in mind that I'm only really here to answer drum related questions - and I encourage folks to ask them on the thread so I don't keep answering the same questions over and over. If you're wondering if the question has already been asked please try the "SEARCH THIS THREAD" link below.

Hi supermac,

On your latest DVD, on a couple of occasions, while soloing, you have an open hi-hat, then suddenly you switch to closed hi-hat, while playing double-bass drums. What exactly is going on there? Is it a piece of hardwhere I haven't come across?

It's a Tama Cobra Clutch and it's setup just left of my hi hat pedal - in fact you can just see my heal going across to put the hi hat into a tightly closed position.

Secondly, have you any plans to play in Newcastle UK in the near future.

Not right now - sorry.

Hi Drizzle,

In the basic groove of the song Clock of Drop, do you play the hihat between the tom and snare hits??? If so, how do you play it, what's the sticking?? I'm confused ;(

Yes I do it with my right hand. So the right hand plays the tom before the snare and then jumps back over to the hi hat. I'm sure Terry Branam could do a nice little transcription of it for us. I don't have the chance to do it right now as I'm rehearsing in Nashville.

Cheers
Gavin

Citizen Insane
04-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Hello Gavin,

I noticed in some clips of you drumming your using coated resonant heads. How would you describe how it affects the sound in comparison to clear resonant heads? What weight would you suggest for using coated resonant heads?

You have such an intense and soulful playing style, you are the best.

Cheers,
Ronan

szuwi
04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi szuwi,

It is - but please bear in mind that I'm only really here to answer drum related questions - and I encourage folks to ask them on the thread so I don't keep answering the same questions over and over. If you're wondering if the question has already been asked please try the "SEARCH THIS THREAD" link below.

Yes I know that, but I'm sure, that my question wasn't asked before because it isn't concern drum question, technique or drum set (I'm not a drummer:)), so that's why I didn't want to ask this question here...

best regards

Michal
http://www.amarok.pl

Gavin Harrison
04-03-2008, 04:55 AM
Hi Citizen Insane,

I noticed in some clips of you drumming your using coated resonant heads. How would you describe how it affects the sound in comparison to clear resonant heads? What weight would you suggest for using coated resonant heads?

I'm not using them anymore - but when I did - I used Remo coated Diplomats. At the time I really thought they made a nice warm combination with the coated Emperors on top. I think the Clear Ambassadors make slightly bending sound than the Diplomats - and now that I'm playing harder I prefer the Clear Ambassadors on the bottom.

Hi szuwi,

Yes I know that, but I'm sure, that my question wasn't asked before because it isn't concern drum question, technique or drum set (I'm not a drummer:)), so that's why I didn't want to ask this question here...

ok send me a message then.

Cheers
Gavin

Terry Branam
04-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Hi Drizzle,

Yes I do it with my right hand. So the right hand plays the tom before the snare and then jumps back over to the hi hat. I'm sure Terry Branam could do a nice little transcription of it for us. I don't have the chance to do it right now as I'm rehearsing in Nashville.

Cheers
Gavin

Here is my transcription of the groove.
Hope it helps!

Gavin Harrison
04-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Many thanks Terry !! You're the man.

cheers
Gavin

Trains'
04-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey Gavin ,

i wanted to know whats changed in your Bassdrumsound between the " Arriv. Smw. " and the " Fear of a BP Tour " .. it sounds so much more powerful!

Also interested what you think about the Evans Emad? Is this probebly a Sound option for your Bassdrum ?

I tried a lot to imitade your setup .. it works quite nice but i not get the main Crashes to Setup compfty .. any advises there?

Last but not least , i would like to know what plugins do you use in the Studio? I read the Waves C1 for snare .. is there another ? And whats about Toms and the Kick?

Great thanks for your time ! It was an Honor for me

xopethx
04-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Hello Gavin! Hope things are well for you in Nashville (rehearsing for KC, i'm guessing?)

I've just got one quick question about your cymbals; you're a pretty powerful hitter, but very precise and measured, so i'm wondering how often you end up replacing them ,
in a scenario where you're not touring with them, just practicing and recording at home. How do those chinas hold up, especially the smaller one? I'm sure you've never cracked a ride, of course...how about those 13" K hats?

thanks for helping us out around here!
take care
-Chris Anderson

Gavin Harrison
04-04-2008, 04:40 AM
Hi Trains',

i wanted to know whats changed in your Bassdrumsound between the " Arriv. Smw. " and the " Fear of a BP Tour " .. it sounds so much more powerful!

Are you comparing the sound of the Bass Drum from the tours or from the Live DVD and a live show? I use a different kit between the US and Europe.

Also interested what you think about the Evans Emad? Is this probebly a Sound option for your Bassdrum ?

I don't know it.

I tried a lot to imitade your setup .. it works quite nice but i not get the main Crashes to Setup compfty .. any advises there?

Everyone should set up their kit to whatever makes them comfortable - I'd be amazed if my kit made you comfortable or vice versa.

Last but not least , i would like to know what plugins do you use in the Studio? I read the Waves C1 for snare .. is there another ? And whats about Toms and the Kick?

Not really - I use one of the reverbs in Space Designer (which is included in Logic Pro).

Hi xopethx,

I've just got one quick question about your cymbals; you're a pretty powerful hitter, but very precise and measured, so i'm wondering how often you end up replacing them ,
in a scenario where you're not touring with them, just practicing and recording at home. How do those chinas hold up, especially the smaller one? I'm sure you've never cracked a ride, of course...how about those 13" K hats?

I don't think I've ever broken a cymbal at home - I have broken many on tour though.

cheers
Gavin

Crimson Redrum
04-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Hi Gavin,

I'm from Ecuador and have been following your career lately, I got 2 questions for you....
1) I've noticed in your videos that you use Vic Firth 5A sticks, however, I read an article where, in the setup section, it is mentioned that you were using Vic Firth Rock model, which are the main reasons for the change?
2) Can you tell us which are the good, the bad, and the ugly sides of touring for a drummer?

Keep on Living, Keep on Drumming
take care
-Fernando Hurtado

Trains'
04-04-2008, 02:00 PM
I was comparing the DVD sound and the live sound from a show in england . Meanwhile..a thought i should not compare that ..'scrml'

My Point was that before i get to your idea for setup i had an awful setup .. i feel quite comfty with your setup ( finally! ) . But i spend so much afternoons tryin to setup the crashes.. dont have you any tricks/pictures or something ?

The intent behind my question wars , like " What u use , what can i probly. buy in 10 yeas , for your sound " .

One more question ..... dave weckl sayed that he only practise the single / double -stroke , paradiddle and flams. Whats your idea about practicing rudiments.

Thank you for your Time

Gavin Harrison
04-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi Crimson Redrum,

1) I've noticed in your videos that you use Vic Firth 5A sticks, however, I read an article where, in the setup section, it is mentioned that you were using Vic Firth Rock model, which are the main reasons for the change?

I used VF 5A extreme for a while - but now I'm just using the VF Hickory Rock model. Firstly because I have large hands and the 5A's felt a little thin - and secondly I'm playing a bit harder now and the "Rock" model feels right to me.

Hi Trains,

My Point was that before i get to your idea for setup i had an awful setup .. i feel quite comfty with your setup ( finally! ) . But i spend so much afternoons tryin to setup the crashes.. dont have you any tricks/pictures or something ?

there's an overhead shot here..

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=375656&postcount=1690

One more question ..... dave weckl sayed that he only practise the single / double -stroke , paradiddle and flams. Whats your idea about practicing rudiments.

They are about the only ones that I ever practise too.

cheers
Gavin

holycats
04-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi to Gavin and everyone else (I've not memorized your names yet!)

At this point I thought I should join this site if only to say 'Thanks' for this Q&A here on Drummerworld - I enjoy your playing and I find it refreshing that you actually read the Q's and give out the A's.
You get an A+ from me.

Thanks again.

Gus
04-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi Gavin -and everyone here-,

What do you think about solid shell snares -craviotto´s, dw´s or whatever-.
Perhaps too dark for your sound?.
Have you ever tried the dw edge snare? (that hybrid of solid brass and wood)
Now i´m playing one from a friend, and sounds pretty good.

Best wishes
Gustavo

ZDrums24
04-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Hello,
I want to revisit the bearing edge discussion from a while back because I am planning out a couple of snare drum builds (potentially with rounded edges). do your drums typically have a completely rounded over edge or are they something like a rounded 45?

Thanks,
Austin

szuwi
04-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Hi szuwi,

ok send me a message then.

Cheers
Gavin

I made it via Private Message on the forum...:-)

regards

Michal

Tjalling
04-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Hello mr. Harrison,

I was just wondering if you ever had music lessons for playing drums? Have you been to a school of music (like Berkley) or a Conservatory or something like that?

Thanks in advanced,

Tjalling

Liquid_Drummer
04-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey Gavin,

Happens that Nashville is 150 miles from here so looks like I get to see your opening show with Crimson. Cant wait. I think we already have the tickets (if my friend got them as he said he would). Heard it was a small club that you guys were starting in just to get off the ground and because Adrian lives there... Anyway.. I look forward to hearing your drumming in Crimson.. What an honor it must be... Are you finding it any more challenging that other projects you have done ?

Gavin Harrison
04-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi Gus,

What do you think about solid shell snares -craviotto´s, dw´s or whatever-.
Perhaps too dark for your sound?. Have you ever tried the dw edge snare?

I have a solid shell Noble & Cooley - and it's very good. I haven't tried Craviotto/DW or the "Edge Snare".

Hi drumher,

But do you know that problem with your mind and concentration and what are you doing in such a moment? Are there any ways to get through those moments when they come?

Maybe you're really bored with the songs or band if your mind keeps wandering away? I know I can lose concentration if I'm extremely tired.

Hi ZDrums24,

I want to revisit the bearing edge discussion from a while back because I am planning out a couple of snare drum builds (potentially with rounded edges). do your drums typically have a completely rounded over edge or are they something like a rounded 45?

They are completely rounded like Gretsch or early 80's Yamaha.

Hi Tjalling,

I was just wondering if you ever had music lessons for playing drums? Have you been to a school of music (like Berkley) or a Conservatory or something like that?

No, I studied privately with Joe Hodson (drum teacher in London) when I was about 11 to 15 years old. I then studied with ex-Berklee graduate Dave Cutler when I was 18. After that I just followed my nose.

Hi Liquid_Drummer,

I look forward to hearing your drumming in Crimson.. What an honor it must be... Are you finding it any more challenging that other projects you have done ?

It is an honour - and very challenging too.

cheers
Gavin

David Floegel
04-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Hi Gavin,

I just played a little with the Sq2 Kit Configurator for my next drumset, and the sizes should be:

22*18 Kickdrum
14*5 Snaredrum
10*5 Side-SnareDrum
8*8 TomTom
10*9 TomTom
12*10 FloorTom
14*12 FloorTom

Now my question is about the two Floortoms:
Do you think they are low enough?
I've chosen 12*10 and 14*12 because I'm normaly playing 2 Toms and 2 Floortoms, but sometimes I want to have 3 Toms and 1 Floortom (or 2 Floortoms) like you.
And I think it would look and sound bad if I would have an 3" lower TomTom next to the 10*9 tomTom.

What do you think?
(I hope that you understand what I want to know)

mabhz
04-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Hello there, Mr. Harrison.

Being a guitar player 3/4 of my life, I recently turned my attention a bit more to the drum world because my 6 year-old son showed some talent on the instrument, and now he got himself a TD6 Vdrum and is taking drum lessons.

My question is very simple: 6/7 years-old is a very tender age, a period when you cant actually push the children too much on technique/grip/stick control/rudiments, but in the other hand, you also cant let them too loose and treating the drums (or any other instrument) like a toy.

Im constantly trying to find the right balance with my son between practicing and playing the grooves/reading exercises the teacher gives him and encouraging him to just sit on the kit and play (in the sense of just having fun, slaming around).

Do you think you could, please, offer me some words of wisdon of how I could help my son learn this beautiful instrument (and music in general) without pushing him too much or making him lose interest???

I have a very bad experience myself, because even though I always practiced like crazy, countless hours a day for many years, I always hated practicing and it was alwayns a painful experience for me. But the drive to superate myself was bigger than the (huge) frustration.

Thank you very much for your attention, for the magnificent inspiration you are giving us (drummers and non-drummers). Only recently I became familiar with your work, and I apologize for that. Your Rhytmic Illusions work instantly made me respect your not just as a musician, but as an educator as well.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdon you might provide me concerning my beloved drummer son!

PEACE!

ZDrums24
04-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi Gavin,

I just played a little with the Sq2 Kit Configurator for my next drumset, and the sizes should be:

22*18 Kickdrum
14*5 Snaredrum
10*5 Side-SnareDrum
8*8 TomTom
10*9 TomTom
12*10 FloorTom
14*12 FloorTom

I've chosen 12*10 and 14*12 because I'm normaly playing 2 Toms and 2 Floortoms, but sometimes I want to have 3 Toms and 1 Floortom (or 2 Floortoms) like you.
And I think it would look and sound bad if I would have an 3" lower TomTom next to the 10*9 tomTom.

What do you think?
(I hope that you understand what I want to know)

I know I'm not gavin, but I have a little insight seeing as I had to make a similar decision with my current kit. My answer is as follows:

Go hit some drums. No amount of talk and speculation can replace a visit to your local drum shop.

Now, a little insight from what I've noticed:

The depth of your toms should be a decision based on your playing. I have a starclassic performer with 10/12/14 rack toms, a 16" suspended floor tom, and an 18" floor tom. I went for the shallower of the two available depths on the rack toms (for a quicker sound), but went for the deeper depth (14") on the suspended floor tom. The 18" is your typical 16" deep. Basically, I made a mistake with the suspended 16" because it doesn't have that floor tom sound (lacking the deeper shell for the thicker, bigger sound), but its just too big/deep to make a decent rack tom. Had I bought a 16" floor tom, it would have been perfect.

My kit reflects my playing in that the toms are divided into two overlapping groups of sound palettes that i draw from (10/12/14 and 14/16/18). I rarely play my floor toms with my rack toms in the same thought without expecting a significant contrast (using my 10 for accents while playing grooves on the 18, for example). Its very rare my fills even use drums from both groups. This tells me how the drums in my kit need to relate (or not relate) to each other in the kit. Some guys treat their toms as one graduated sound palette, so the drums need to change tone gradually. My kit, not so much. I am asking my 14" to be a bit of a transition drum since I hate having fewer than 3 drums in a palette to work with and I wasn't about to shove 6 toms on the kit, but it does a surprisingly good job at being big, but not too big.

The next step is to figure out how you want the palette(s) to sound in general. In my case, I want a really big, resonant, almost overwhelming sound from my lower toms while I want my upper toms to maintain a very bright, energetic sound. this is where my choice in shallower depths up top vs. deeper on the bottom comes in. It suits my playing and I did the research in local shops to make sure.

The point is that your choice of drum depths is very much your own. You picked shallower depths, but nothing that far from the ordinary (other than a 12" floor tom, I have never heard of that). You won't get a tone as big and deep as mine, but maybe you prefer a lighter, faster, and more energetic sound.

A little long winded. I hope it helps.

Gavin Harrison
04-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi Kalma,

Personally I think they are too small for floor toms - but you should follow your own ideas not mine. I have had the same size drumset for 20 years or more. ZDrums24 made some good comments about choosing drum sizes.

Hi mabhz,

Do you think you could, please, offer me some words of wisdon of how I could help my son learn this beautiful instrument (and music in general) without pushing him too much or making him lose interest???

It depends on his character - you know him better than anyone about how far he can be pushed. When I was that age I just played along to records and enjoyed myself on the instrument. I didn't have serious lessons until I was about 11.

cheers
Gavin

Ailmour
04-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi Gavin,

When you break a cymbal, what do you do to it? Possibly cut a piece off it or drill a hole to stop the crack from growing? I noticed a crack on my crash cymbal yesterday (it's the first cymbal I've broken). Now I'm wondering: what should I do with it? I'm also considering the option "Gavin Harrison chime".

Thank you for being here to answer our questions,

Ilmari

Quadgod08
04-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi Gavin,

I've often thought about purchasing a secondary bass, but I can't figure out if having two would be more dynamic as opposed to just playing with a double-bass pedal. I really like the look of two kicks, but on a technical level, I still like the simplicity of playing double pedal. What is your take on kits with two kicks?

Thanks in advanced,

Quadgod08

David Floegel
04-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi Gavin,

thanks for the reply, again!

I think I'll choose
8*8
10*10
12*12 Floortom
14*14 Floortom

But I also will go in a music-shop and test it...

In the next days I'll get 4 broken Cymbals. One of it is a K-Custom Dark :)
The others are Meinl 100, Sabian B8 and a Meinl Romen Crash.
If you have broken cymbals, I'll take them ;)

David Floegel
04-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi again,

Ehm, Gavin, can you ask Steve what he plays in the intro of "Trains"?
My brother tries to play it, but he does not get, what Steve does there...
Thank you
David

Gavin Harrison
04-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi Ailmour,

When you break a cymbal, what do you do to it? Possibly cut a piece off it or drill a hole to stop the crack from growing? I noticed a crack on my crash cymbal yesterday (it's the first cymbal I've broken). Now I'm wondering: what should I do with it? I'm also considering the option "Gavin Harrison chime".

I have in the past cut out the crack with tin snips and then filed it smooth (so the cymbal ends up with a flat side) - but inevitably it does end up breaking again. There's always the option to cut it right down to a "chime" but it depends on the type of cymbal in the first place.

Hi Quadgod08,

I've often thought about purchasing a secondary bass, but I can't figure out if having two would be more dynamic as opposed to just playing with a double-bass pedal. I really like the look of two kicks, but on a technical level, I still like the simplicity of playing double pedal. What is your take on kits with two kicks?

I liked playing two bass drums - and I think it's easier with two separate single pedals - but I found it difficult to get the same sound from the two drums - so the double pedal was the answer for me. Plus I couldn't get the two bass drums in my car (back in the early 80's when I tried it last).

Hi Kalma,

Sorry - you'll have to ask Steve yourself.

cheers
Gavin

prempex
04-12-2008, 11:19 AM
hey gavin,

im looking forward to seeing you play at drumania on the 29th of april. should be worth the money!
hope all is well.

cheers.prempex.

asmodeus
04-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Gavin,

recently I had a session with a friend of mine who plays guitar (I play bass mainly) and we were trying to record a song that we wrote and already had a sketch done for. We both were a little frustrated after the 10 hour session, because we weren't able to get the best performances done. What I mean is, that we were so concentrated on playing in time and not making any mistakes, that some of the articulation and dynamics were lost. I wanted to ask if you have faced similar problems and what your approach is to be able to perform in a mind setting where you feel "free" and confident you are not going to make mistakes. Do you practice a lot before recording drum tracks? Do you prefer to keep a take that has maybe one or two little mistakes (and maybe correct them afterwards), or do you record as often as it takes for track to be flawless?

cheers!

gibeachhead
04-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi again,

Thank you
David

Hey David,

Do you mean what chords he is playing? Well that it is easy to find the chords for the song online, or you can always watch the PT DVD and make out the chords he is playing (though the capo placement differs from the album and the DVD). Let me know if you are looking for the chords and I can PM you a link to it.

Brent

Quadgod08
04-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks Gavin, the info is appreciated. I forgot that fitting two 22" kicks requires a lot of room!

Trains'
04-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Hey Gavin ,

did you cut the holders of your front splashes ? Sonor dont make them this size , dont they?

Best wishes

Citizen Insane
04-13-2008, 03:28 AM
Hello Gavin,

I really love your snare sound on the song Deadwing (aswell as the whole Deadwing album in general.) And I'm wondering, what snare/snares did you use? How did you tune them? And what heads did you use?

Thanks,
Ronan

Drizzle
04-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Gavin & everyone

For those of you who struggle with the Search This Thread item, here some tips.

When you search for something like : Futile ,the first post it finds is on page 6

Gavin Harrison here! - Page 6 - DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM25 Jul 2006 ... oh my god , i just saw the futile video.... glad you're enjoying Futile - it's great fun to play. ...
www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698&page=6

But when you go to page 6 you will not find the above post, this is because on this forum page 1 is the last added page, while in the search engine page 1 is the first page added to this forum, understand??

So to find the correct page you have to substract 6 from the total of pages (see bottom of forum, which for now is:) 64 and you get page 58 (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698&page=58).

But you'll notice that it's not there either, but when you go to page 59 (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698&page=59) it's the first post.
This is because every page on the forum contains 34 posts except the last page (page 64) who has the 'rest'. And for every new post added to the forum all the posts are shifted through the pages.

While typing this post the number of posts on page 64 is 7 so when there are 34 - 7 = 27 posts added from now on there will be a new page added to the forum...and 34 post later another one.

So in short just substract the page found from the total of pages and your probably right on the correct page for the required post otherwise go one page higher.

Hope this helps...

Dre

miha
04-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Hey Gavin

Few questions if I may. How often do you use rhythmic illusions when performing live? I know they're very cool sounding, but tougher to execute live and probably 90% of listeners don't even realize what's going on. For example that main 7/8 rhythm in Cheating the Polygraph, you're playing it in 3 different ways through the song (maybe even more). Or perhaps Halo live version (middle 17/8 section), do you always play quarter notes on the HH, or do you rather go with eighth notes (since it's way easier to do). Are you totally strict considering rhythmic illusions and play live versions the way you played them in studio?

Sorry for buggering you with these questions, maybe I don't comprehend the level of your playing and you don't see this as a challenge. :)

And yes, I don't think that any drummer has made such an impression on me, as you have. Thank you for that.

Gavin Harrison
04-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi asmodeus,

What I mean is, that we were so concentrated on playing in time and not making any mistakes, that some of the articulation and dynamics were lost. I wanted to ask if you have faced similar problems and what your approach is to be able to perform in a mind setting where you feel "free" and confident you are not going to make mistakes. Do you practice a lot before recording drum tracks? Do you prefer to keep a take that has maybe one or two little mistakes (and maybe correct them afterwards), or do you record as often as it takes for track to be flawless?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. First of all no performance is flawless - under a microscope everything we play is flawed - it just depends on your WOA (window of acceptability). When you start out playing - your WOA is so wide everything sounds great - as you mature and your ears get better you start to hear the things that are falling outside of your WOA. In fact years later (when your window is getting smaller) you listen back to something you thought was great - and it sounds pretty terrible. It's all part of progressing. Sometimes your ears get better than your ability and that's when you start to hear a lot of flaws.

If it's just a question of not screwing up the song - then you need to spend more time really learning the song. If it's timing issues - then you need to spend more time practising with a metronome and really hearing those smaller flaws and being aware of them. It is the start of getting better.

You will feel inhibited if you have high expectations of making it through a whole tune with no mistakes or flaws. It always takes massive concentration. If you're tracking bass - then it's easy to just go in and fix the mistakes - it can be trickier on drums. When I first started making sessions it was usually impossible to fix the drum tracks - no computer editing in those days - it was only analogue tape machines.

Hi Trains,

did you cut the holders of your front splashes ? Sonor dont make them this size , dont they?

Do you mean the cymbal arms? If so - yes I cut them shorter.

Hi Citizen Insane,

I really love your snare sound on the song Deadwing (aswell as the whole Deadwing album in general.) And I'm wondering, what snare/snares did you use? How did you tune them? And what heads did you use?

I used my old Yamaha 14x5 RC 9000 on that track - and probably on a lot of the others too. It had a coated pinstripe on the top and 8 strand Puresound snares on it. I remember on 2 or 3 of the other tracks ("Shallow" being one of them) I used my Noble & Cooley 14x5 black alloy drum. (Same heads and snare wires as the Yamaha). I can't remember the tuning.

Hi Drizzle,

When you search for something like : Futile ,the first post it finds is on page 6

Gavin Harrison here! - Page 6 - DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM25 Jul 2006 ... oh my god , i just saw the futile video.... glad you're enjoying Futile - it's great fun to play. ...
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...p?t=698&page=6

That's very odd - when I click on that link to page 6 - it takes me to page 6 and I see that text about Futile in the second post. I've a suspicion it could be something to do with different browsers (I use Firefox and Safari and both are fine) - or the fact that I'm on a Mac and perhaps you're on a PC?

Hi miha,

How often do you use rhythmic illusions when performing live? I know they're very cool sounding, but tougher to execute live and probably 90% of listeners don't even realize what's going on.

I use the concepts of Rhythmic Illusions a lot in a live situation. As you described - there's a lot going on in some of the PT tunes.

Or perhaps Halo live version (middle 17/8 section), do you always play quarter notes on the HH, or do you rather go with eighth notes (since it's way easier to do). Are you totally strict considering rhythmic illusions and play live versions the way you played them in studio?

I thought I played that 17/8 in Halo live pretty much the same as the recorded version - with quarter note accents going on throughout that whole section.

Sorry for buggering you with these questions, maybe I don't comprehend the level of your playing and you don't see this as a challenge. :)

Don't worry - I don't feel buggered !!

miha
04-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Oh my god... I meant "bugging". I just looked into dictionary for "buggering". Worst possible choice of words... Sorry for that. ;)

Drizzle
04-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi asmodeus,

Hi Drizzle,

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...p?t=698&page=6

That's very odd - when I click on that link to page 6 - it takes me to page 6 and I see that text about Futile in the second post. I've a suspicion it could be something to do with different browsers (I use Firefox and Safari and both are fine) - or the fact that I'm on a Mac and perhaps you're on a PC?

When I follow the link to page 6 it takes me to page 6 but in my browser the text for Futile is on page 59. So its flipped.
I use Internet Explorer 7 on a PC, one with VISTA and one with XP.
So probably the problem lies there.

K.Howden
04-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi Gavin,

You mentioned in a post below that you use 8 strand Snares, how exactly do the number of Snare Wires affect the sound of the Snare, I've asked a number of people before but never been given an answer.

Hope you're well,

Kev

p.s. I had an audition at the Brighton Institute of Modern Music yesterday and for the odd-time signature section used the some of my own grooves and also the 17/8 groove from Halo, the assesor was very impressed with it and he also instantly recognised your name when I mentioned it was one of your Grooves incidently :)

xopethx
04-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Hello Gavin :)

I have a question about bass drum sound - When micing a kick, do you prefer to use a smaller diameter hole on the resonant side? My S-Class kick is 17.5x20, and i'm using a 6" diameter hole with a reinforcement hoop. I feel quite often like that's too large, and i'm losing some punch and depth to the bass drum sound. I use my Eliminator's plastic beaters on the other side, and a Remo Falam pad. This is the first kit i've owned (and haven't been playing long enough to have experimented much).
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9822/img1414dq4.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5503/img1413ck9.jpg
In addition, i'm wondering what to do with the tom arm mount on the drum as well - i recently converted to an ICON rack setup, and i'm wondering if you've run into that situation before - i'd like to have the tom mount clamp accessible in the event that a given venue doesn't have enough room for the racked kit, but i definitely hear a difference in sound with an empty clamp. Some people have recommended removing it and using wood filler (not an option i'd enjoy), others have suggested something as simple as a cork, of sorts. any tips or a nudge in the right direction?

thanks so much, Gavin. You're a huge inspiration of mine (if you can't tell by the pictures), and I believe i can do great things thanks to you!

Gavin Harrison
04-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi Drizzle,

When I follow the link to page 6 it takes me to page 6 but in my browser the text for Futile is on page 59. So its flipped. I use Internet Explorer 7 on a PC, one with VISTA and one with XP. So probably the problem lies there.

I know Bernhard is a Mac user - so maybe he doesn't know about this display problem. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hi K.Howden,

You mentioned in a post below that you use 8 strand Snares, how exactly do the number of Snare Wires affect the sound of the Snare, I've asked a number of people before but never been given an answer.

Makes a big difference to me. First of all the Puresound snares make a good difference and because I've cut them down to just 8 strands in the middle - I believe I get more sound of the actual drum rather than a whole load of 'white noise'. The tension of the snares also make a big difference...I guess you'd need to try it.

Hi xopethx,

When micing a kick, do you prefer to use a smaller diameter hole on the resonant side? My S-Class kick is 17.5x20, and i'm using a 6" diameter hole with a reinforcement hoop. I feel quite often like that's too large, and i'm losing some punch and depth to the bass drum sound. I use my Eliminator's plastic beaters on the other side, and a Remo Falam pad.

Yes, I think the 6" hole is too big. I think I have a 4" hole on my DeLight set in the US. Also try to get it nearer the edge a bit more. I really don't like the Falam patch - I just use the black Evans EQPB2 patch.

In addition, i'm wondering what to do with the tom arm mount on the drum as well - i recently converted to an ICON rack setup, and i'm wondering if you've run into that situation before - i'd like to have the tom mount clamp accessible in the event that a given venue doesn't have enough room for the racked kit, but i definitely hear a difference in sound with an empty clamp. Some people have recommended removing it and using wood filler (not an option i'd enjoy), others have suggested something as simple as a cork, of sorts. any tips or a nudge in the right direction?

I would just keep it as it is. It can come in handy (as you said) when you need to make a smaller setup without the rack. I noticed a couple of things from your photos. I would try the bass drum mic - nearer the outside head - in my experimentations it sounded better to me when the Audix D6 was just going into the hole by about 1". Also I really hate having to mount those tom mics right on the rim of the drum like that. I think it really kills the sound of the drum. Try mounting those mic clips on the bars coming from the tom holder (marked in red below) it'll keep the clamps just clear of the drum.

Cheers
Gavin

NeuroAxis
04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Gavin -

I had a few questions on endorsements. First, are you endorsed by Sonor, Zildjian, Vic Firth, etc.? If so, are these exclusive endorsements (i.e. you don't pay for anything) or non-exclusive (you get a discount from the factory price)?

Also I was wondering if these companies approached you once you had reached a certain level of noteriety and offered these endorsements or if you had to actually go out and pursue them yourself?

Just curious, thanks for your time.

franklinj
04-14-2008, 06:49 PM
I think I missed the transciption for Futile, and since were having some tech. issues, would someone mind putting it up again?

Gavin Harrison
04-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi NeuroAxis,

I had a few questions on endorsements. First, are you endorsed by Sonor, Zildjian, Vic Firth, etc.? If so, are these exclusive endorsements (i.e. you don't pay for anything) or non-exclusive (you get a discount from the factory price)? Also I was wondering if these companies approached you once you had reached a certain level of noteriety and offered these endorsements or if you had to actually go out and pursue them yourself?

Yes I endorse Sonor, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Hardcase, Puresound. Here's the way it usually works. If you land a gig with someone famous (but it's one of the first things you've done of note) - they might offer you a trade discount deal if you approach them. If you've been playing with a lot of 'named' artists and have a good profile in the music business - companies might approach you and you might get them for free.

Cheers
Gavin

Drizzle
04-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks to Phil T. on the HOD forum for mentioning, photo's of Gavin with King Crimson rehearsing in Nashville.

http://www.dgmlive.com/diary/photos/IMGCOMPARE.JPG
http://www.dgmlive.com/diary/photos/IMGRFBOARD2.JPG
http://www.dgmlive.com/diary/photos/IMGROUPSHOT1.JPG

From dgmlive.com (http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm)

David Floegel
04-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey Gavin,

on the first Photo you have a Laptop.
Is it yours? (nice one ;))

Do you have a laptop next to your set on gigs?

Gus
04-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi Gavin & everyone.

I´m working on the exercises from Rhythmic Visions DVD, particulary on what you called "master modulation". Well, taking first example, subdivisions in three (i think in 4/4 bar) and differents spacings. When you use, for example spacings in five, you took five bars to complete the pattern, and then get the 1 of the bar again (the resolving point).

Well, my question is... Is this the way to use the exercise on a real music situation, i mean: play the whole pattern?... or may be used one bar for example (more difficult to get the 1 again)?.

Take Care
Gustavo

Gavin Harrison
04-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi Kalma,

on the first Photo you have a Laptop.
Is it yours? (nice one ;))

Yes

Do you have a laptop next to your set on gigs?

No

Hi Gus,

I´m working on the exercises from Rhythmic Visions DVD, particulary on what you called "master modulation". Well, taking first example, subdivisions in three (i think in 4/4 bar) and differents spacings. When you use, for example spacings in five, you took five bars to complete the pattern, and then get the 1 of the bar again (the resolving point).

Well, my question is... Is this the way to use the exercise on a real music situation, i mean: play the whole pattern?... or may be used one bar for example (more difficult to get the 1 again)?.

No, not really - the point of that exercise was to play it until it resolves. In a musical setting it's unlikely that it's going to finish exactly where you would like - so you need to be able to cut it off and land back on the downbeat relative to the time signature that you're playing in. There's a chapter on my second DVD (Rhythmic Horizons) that shows this exact method.

Cheers
Gavin

Liquid_Drummer
04-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Holy crap !! Is Levin going to be there too ? Cant wait man. See you guys in Nashville !

tobi283
04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Gavin!

I have one big problem: i use to practise in my apartment and - what a surprise - the neighbours complain about the noise. so i put those silencer pads on the drums, which i'm not really satisfied with. they fall off the drums every third time you hit them, sound like shit, don't feel very similar to real heads and still one of my neighbours thinks they're too loud. so it came up to my mind to buy mesh heads and turn my acoustic into electronic drums (trigger, module,...) so i could practise over headphones, have a much better sound and rebound and it would become much quieter. But i fear that in this case the acoustic cymbals wouldn't fit to the electronic (headphone-) drums. do you have any experience/advice considering that?

thanks,
tobi

holycats
04-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi Drizzle,

When I follow the link to page 6 it takes me to page 6 but in my browser the text for Futile is on page 59. So its flipped. I use Internet Explorer 7 on a PC, one with VISTA and one with XP. So probably the problem lies there.

I know Bernhard is a Mac user - so maybe he doesn't know about this display problem. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers
Gavin

Hmmm - I don't think it's a 'problem' per se - merely the way you have your 'Thread display options' set up. Just go into your User CP at the top left of the page and set your display option to "Linear-Oldest First" and the last page (w/the latest posts) will show up when you select a thread. I think that will put the search function to display the corrrect page (w/no further mathematics invloved)

Derek Roddy
04-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Hey Gavin....Derek Roddy here.

Looking forward to chillin' at the MD fest with you.

Been meaning to get in touch but.... have been practicing!!! Haha.

Reach out when you can.
Cheers.
D.

Drizzle
04-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Hmmm - I don't think it's a 'problem' per se - merely the way you have your 'Thread display options' set up. Just go into your User CP at the top left of the page and set your display option to "Linear-Oldest First" and the last page (w/the latest posts) will show up when you select a thread. I think that will put the search function to display the corrrect page (w/no further mathematics invloved)

Aah I see ,thanks for the tip.

Gavin Harrison
04-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi tobi283,

so it came up to my mind to buy mesh heads and turn my acoustic into electronic drums (trigger, module,...) so i could practise over headphones, have a much better sound and rebound and it would become much quieter. But i fear that in this case the acoustic cymbals wouldn't fit to the electronic (headphone-) drums. do you have any experience/advice considering that?

Sorry but I don't have any experience about that. I know that the cymbals shouldn't annoy the neigbours as long as all the windows are tightly closed. Usually it's the lower frequencies that go through the walls - bass drums, toms etc. If you're going to end up going through a mixer to hear your electronic triggers - then you could put up a pair of overhead mics to get the cymbals mixed in with them.

Hi Derek Roddy (and fellow Sonor player)

great to hear from - I'm excited about seeing you play - and looking forward to hanging out with you at the MD festival.

cheers
Gavin

David Floegel
04-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Hi Gavin,

sorry for asking again, but could you have a look onto my Sq2-Drumconfiguration?

My UpID is: 120845208867-1

I'm not sure about the Tomsizes and the Shelltypes i've chosen.

I want to play Jazz, Rock, Progressive Rock and Ska...

angelo
04-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi Gavin,

sorry for asking again, but could you have a look onto my Sq2-Drumconfiguration?

My UpID is: 120845208867-1

I'm not sure about the Tomsizes and the Shelltypes i've chosen.

I want to play Jazz, Rock, Progressive Rock and Ska...

Hi Kalma
for me you can use a normal drum set.
10x8
12x9
15x13
18x16
22x17
For jazz you can used a 18 floor tom as bass drum with conversion kit Pearl or Gibraltar
you can play jazz with 12, 15 , 18 (as bass drum )
for shelltype maple for me 10, 12 thin shell 15, 18, medium 22 heavy drum shell
This is my opinion .
take care
Angelo

ZDrums24
04-18-2008, 12:05 AM
I have an 18, and though I have looked into converting it into a bass drum, i really feel that if you want a space efficient kit that can play all kinds of music, id go 10/12 rack toms with 14/16 floor toms and a 20" kick. a 20" is on the large side for unmic'd jazz gigs, but itll do big band really well and carries enough punch for rock. if you do a lot of gigs in loud rock situations, then you might be able to justify a 22", but itll do you almost no good in a quiet gig. the 18" floor tom is a monster. I love mine, but it really is meant for loud environments and large spaces.

cantstandyourfunk
04-18-2008, 10:25 PM
dear gavin, a "hello" after a long time. I wanted to ask you what pedals you use. I'm just about to buy my first set of pro pedals, so i'm just curious.

cheers
Arka

angelo
04-18-2008, 11:32 PM
dear gavin, a "hello" after a long time. I wanted to ask you what pedals you use. I'm just about to buy my first set of pro pedals, so i'm just curious.

cheers
Arka

Hi cantstandyourfunk
Gavin used this pedal:

Hi Drumher,
I can play the same in terms of articulation on both the Sonor Giantstep and the Axis Longboards - I just found that I could play much louder with the Axis - so I tend to use those when I play live and sometimes in the studio too.

The Axis have a very particular feel that's strange at first - and once you're used to them - it's hard to go back to another pedal afterwards. My feet are pretty stubborn.

Cheers
Gavin

Tom Sawyer
04-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Wow, that's why this thread has so many replies! I didn't know THE man himself was on here!
That's great. Anyway I have a question to Gavin or someone that knows, did you at any time use a Zildjian K/Z hihats combination?

Gus
04-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Wow, that's why this thread has so many replies! I didn't know THE man himself was on here!
That's great. Anyway I have a question to Gavin or someone that knows, did you at any time use a Zildjian K/Z hihats combination?

Hi Tom Sawyer

Search for thread 2025 (page 7)

"No his mind is not for rent to any god or goverment
always hopeful yet discontent he knows changes aren´t permanent
but change is"

Rush´s better than ever

Gus

Tom Sawyer
04-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi Tom Sawyer

Search for thread 2025 (page 7)

"No his mind is not for rent to any god or goverment
always hopeful yet discontent he knows changes aren´t permanent
but change is"

Rush´s better than ever

Gus
Ah, perfect, you had the same question! Thanks.

And yes, Rush rules big time.

Gavin Harrison
04-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Hi Kalma,

My UpID is: 120845208867-1 I'm not sure about the Tomsizes and the Shelltypes i've chosen. I want to play Jazz, Rock, Progressive Rock and Ska...

Seems like you've just selected a quite standard DeLight type of kit (which is great). If you only wanted one floor tom I would recommend a 15" (diameter) x 13" (depth). I have one and it's really amazing as a floor tom. Sometimes a 14" is too small and sometimes the 16" is too big of a distance from the 12" tom.

Cheers
Gavin

Gus
04-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi Gavin

As you said somewhere back, you have differents shell thickness in your sq2: thin for smaller toms, medium for floor toms and heavy for bass drum. Which are the tonal differences for every thickness?. doesn´t make a unique size of shells a good and regular musical scale?.

Best wishes

sneakydutch
04-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey Gavin,

I'm picking out new drum heads for my starclassics and I can't decide. I'm looking for something that will give my toms tone, but it won't ring on for days. I currently have clear ambassadors on bottom and coated emperors on top. Either my toms sound floppy or they have a ten or more second sustain. I've tried everything, duct tape, moongels, different tunings, etc. What head do you think would best give my toms a crisp tone with clear pronunciation without sustaining for too long?

Thanks

Austin

ZDrums24
04-21-2008, 05:34 AM
Hey Gavin,

I'm picking out new drum heads for my starclassics and I can't decide. I'm looking for something that will give my toms tone, but it won't ring on for days. I currently have clear ambassadors on bottom and coated emperors on top. Either my toms sound floppy or they have a ten or more second sustain. I've tried everything, duct tape, moongels, different tunings, etc. What head do you think would best give my toms a crisp tone with clear pronunciation without sustaining for too long?

Thanks

Austin

Do you have the maples, Bubinga, BB, or birch drums?

I have the birch starclassic performers. I am having a lot of luck with coated evans g2s on top and g1s on bottom. Tama's drums in general are really focused when compared to other manufacturers, so you are already fighting an uphill battle. My dad got some decent results on his set (which is a significantly older starclassic performer kit with 7 ply shells) with g1s on top and resos on the bottoms, though he ended up going back to g2 batters for the punch and presence. Play with tuning as well. You can actually change the sustain of your toms by changing the intervals between the two heads (even to the point of completely choking the drum out). The drum tuning bible online has some good ideas to start from.

If it is the birch kit, I'd go less for resonance and take advantage of the really punchy quality of that particular wood. Resonance is rarely heard past the end of the stage in louder situations anyways.

sneakydutch
04-21-2008, 06:38 AM
Do you have the maples, Bubinga, BB, or birch drums?

I have the birch starclassic performers. I am having a lot of luck with coated evans g2s on top and g1s on bottom. Tama's drums in general are really focused when compared to other manufacturers, so you are already fighting an uphill battle. My dad got some decent results on his set (which is a significantly older starclassic performer kit with 7 ply shells) with g1s on top and resos on the bottoms, though he ended up going back to g2 batters for the punch and presence. Play with tuning as well. You can actually change the sustain of your toms by changing the intervals between the two heads (even to the point of completely choking the drum out). The drum tuning bible online has some good ideas to start from.

If it is the birch kit, I'd go less for resonance and take advantage of the really punchy quality of that particular wood. Resonance is rarely heard past the end of the stage in louder situations anyways.

I have birch starclassic performers too. I was thinking about trying some aquarian studio-x's but I'm looking for a sound that will work in any situation. I'm thinking a two ply head would work best because one ply's are way too floppy sounding unless they are tuned up really high, and then they will have tons of sustain. I'm also looking for a head with a clean pronounced attack. Thanks a lot for the advice I'll check out the tuning dictionary.

jay norem
04-21-2008, 06:53 AM
In 2004 I was in London and I picked up an issue of the then current number of Drummer magazine, dated Issue 11 September 2004.
I bought it for three pounds twenty at a newsagent.
Later I came across your article entitled "The Illegal Triplet." (I'm sure you love being reminded of this, by the way.)
In the article, you showed a measure that was written incorrectly: an eighth note, two quarters, an eighth note and a quarter.
Now if you remember, you came up with a triplet figure from that wrongly-written measure, and I could never figure out how or why you could.
Because the measure should have been written this way: eighth note, two tied eighth notes, two tied eighth notes, an eight note and a quarter note. Da-Daa-Daa-Da-Daa.
It's just something that's bugged me for awhile, and I wonder if you've ever reconsidered your original premise.

LinearDrummer
04-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Yo Gavin
Big Congrats on being invited to play the MD fest!

You deserve it :D

Gavin Harrison
04-22-2008, 02:44 AM
Hi Gus,

As you said somewhere back, you have differents shell thickness in your sq2: thin for smaller toms, medium for floor toms and heavy for bass drum. Which are the tonal differences for every thickness?. doesn´t make a unique size of shells a good and regular musical scale?.

They sound very well matched actually. My thinking behind it was that there's a lot less wood to vibrate in a 8" tom than there is in a 16" - so I made the smaller drums thinner than the bigger ones. I have a DeLight set which has very thin shells and a Designer which has thicker shells throughout - I wanted to try an experiment with shell thicknesses and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I didn't really want long sustain to the lower toms - it can be a real problem in a PA.

Hi sneakydutch,

What head do you think would best give my toms a crisp tone with clear pronunciation without sustaining for too long?

I don't really know - because I've never played those Tamas and I don't know how you have them tuned. You're already using the same combination of heads that I do.

Hi jay norem,

In the article, you showed a measure that was written incorrectly: an eighth note, two quarters, an eighth note and a quarter.
Now if you remember, you came up with a triplet figure from that wrongly-written measure, and I could never figure out how or why you could.
Because the measure should have been written this way: eighth note, two tied eighth notes, two tied eighth notes, an eight note and a quarter note. Da-Daa-Daa-Da-Daa.
It's just something that's bugged me for awhile, and I wonder if you've ever reconsidered your original premise.

I don't consider that measure is written incorrectly. It's quite standard to see that form - "Syncopation" by Ted Reed (which is a very long established book - amongst many others) is full of that kind of notation - and I have seen it written in real life situations many times. I understand where you're coming from on a purely mathematically correct text book level that it's not strictly correct - and it probably became an excepted short cut during the many years of jazz syncopation writing - as did the "understood" interpretation of "swing" where two 8th notes are played as the first and third of a triplet...but to have written out a chart all in triplets with all the rests would have been very hard to read (and nearly impossible to sight read)...and in a similar way it would be harder to read the bar as you've suggested. The actual point of that particular article wasn't about that first bar of notation - it was about the idea of starting a triplet on an 8th note that was off the beat. I used the first bar merely as a way to setup the figure for the second bar containing the "illegal triplet".

Cheers
Gavin

Citizen Insane
04-22-2008, 04:03 AM
I noticed you seem to really like those puresound 8 strands on your snares. How do you think they improve the sound and sensitivity? How do they compare to the standard 20/16 strands.

Cheers,
Ronan

David Floegel
04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Hi Gus,

They sound very well matched actually. My thinking behind it was that there's a lot less wood to vibrate in a 8" tom than there is in a 16" - so I made the smaller drums thinner than the bigger ones. I have a DeLight set which has very thin shells and a Designer which has thicker shells throughout - I wanted to try an experiment with shell thicknesses and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I didn't really want long sustain to the lower toms - it can be a real problem in a PA.

Do you think it's advisable for everyone (maybe me)?
I don't really like long sustain, too.
Does a thicker shell also make the sound lower?

Shauno
04-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Hi guys,
I (FINALLY) have the privilege of getting to see Porcupine Tree in Sydney (Australia) this Saturday the 26th and I simply cant wait! : )

I'm looking forward to hearing some of the newer songs from Nil Recurring if you guys play any. The drumming on those tracks is simply stunning Gavin! Love that ending on Cheating The Polygraph and the cool, off time phrasing in What happens Now? is just unreal!

Cheers guys, I'll let you know how it sounds!
Shauno.

angelo
04-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Do you think it's advisable for everyone (maybe me)?
I don't really like long sustain, too.

Hi Kalma
Thin shells have a “warm” sound and a slightly softer stick response. Thick shells have “brighter” attack, a little more volume, a slightly “harder” stick response.
many factor determinated of sound of drums: thick, diameter, depht, wood, bearing edge, heads.

Recently many companies are building these drums of variable thickness (Pearl, Gretsch, Sonor and many more).
Behind it was that there's a lot less wood to vibrate in a 8" tom than there is in a 16".
This is a beautiful article of this:
http://www.drumsolo.cc/articles___reviews/reviews_Jun96.html
http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=drums&sid=571

(look this Gretsch, Pearl, Sonor and many more utilized this concept: different thick shell).

DTrocks
04-22-2008, 10:08 PM
I heard that you were going to play with king crimson...Have you recorded something yet? I'm looking forward to hear the result!

Cheers!

Gavin Harrison
04-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Hi Citizen Insane,

I noticed you seem to really like those puresound 8 strands on your snares. How do you think they improve the sound and sensitivity? How do they compare to the standard 20/16 strands.

I love them. I guess you'd have to try it to see what they're really like. I've always wanted articulation from a snare - there's little point playing intricate detail if the snare is 'baggy' and it comes out like a blur of white noise - plus I like a certain 'fatness' to my snare sound. After many years of experimenting I started to cut off the outside snares until I hit the 8 strand thing. It doesn't work on every single drum I've got - but 85% of them improved with those modified 8 strand snares. I've got to say that most of my drums sounded better anyway with Puresound snares (even before I cut them) - basically because they are such high quality.

Hi Kalma,

Do you think it's advisable for everyone (maybe me)? I don't really like long sustain, too.

There are many factors involved and Angelo's post is very informative. It really comes down to you in the end and the sound that you want to make. Sonor offer 4 shell thicknesses and I felt like I wanted to try to use 3 of them in my newest kit. So far I'm very happy with it.

Hi DTrocks,

I heard that you were going to play with king crimson...Have you recorded something yet? I'm looking forward to hear the result!

Yes - we've finished the first rehearsal period which went very well. The rehearsals were recorded but I don't know if they'll ever be released. The concerts are in August. Check dgmlive.com for date announcements.

Cheers
Gavin

gibeachhead
04-23-2008, 05:37 AM
I don't believe this was posted, but if you guys/gals are curious to hear what the double drummer line up might sound like. They put up a sample of Gavin and Pat playing at the rehearsals:

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=16&show=1314

Fantastic stuff! Great job Gavin and Pat!

jez-
04-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi Gavin! I must say I truly admire your work and I have a simple question.

About this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VoG7p1ona6Y

Could you explain how and what you do in the fill at 0:35?

Thanks a lot in advance!

NeuroAxis
04-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I don't believe this was posted, but if you guys/gals are curious to hear what the double drummer line up might sound like. They put up a sample of Gavin and Pat playing at the rehearsals:

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=16&show=1314

Fantastic stuff! Great job Gavin and Pat!

Thanks for posting this! Excellent drumming from both Gavin and Pat.

Terry Branam
04-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi Gavin! I must say I truly admire your work and I have a simple question.

About this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VoG7p1ona6Y

Could you explain how and what you do in the fill at 0:35?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hey jez,

Here's the fill you requested.

Have fun!

Terry

K.Howden
04-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Hey jez,

Here's the fill you requested.

Have fun!

Terry

Hi Terry, how are you?

I have a question about a fill in the same Vid, the fills happen between 2:47 and 2:48 coming off the Toms onto the Snare, could you shed some light on whats happening here please?

Hope you're well,

Kev

Terry Branam
04-24-2008, 03:32 AM
Hi Terry, how are you?

I have a question about a fill in the same Vid, the fills happen between 2:47 and 2:48 coming off the Toms onto the Snare, could you shed some light on whats happening here please?

Hope you're well,

Kev

Hey Kev,

Here's an attempt at that fill. The toms are a slight bit unclear, but this is how I heard it.

Terry

Joe P
04-24-2008, 04:51 AM
Hey Gavin!

I've been listening to some of Porcupine Tree's older stuff lately, and I've been thinking... When you have to play a song live that was from before "In Absentia", do you have your own way of playing them or do you mimic the records? Or even if Porcupine Tree doesn't play pre-2002 music anymore live (do yall?), would you come up with your part or follow the recording?

Thanks!
~Joe

Gavin Harrison
04-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Hi Joe P,
regarding the older PT pieces. I did learn quite a few - and paid attention to the parts that the previous drummer composed. I based my part on his but didn't copy it exactly, plus the more we played those tunes live the more my parts mutated into other things...but that's also true of the parts that I originally recorded on the newer PT albums. They kind of evolve of time.

Thanks once again to Terry B for some great transcription work.

cheers
Gavin