PDA

View Full Version : What professional drummer's setup do you admire most?

GPinney
01-15-2006, 08:50 PM
What Pro Drummer's setup do you admire most....????

Me Jojo Mayer

foursticks
01-15-2006, 08:54 PM
for me its either john bonham or ginger baker or even mitch mitchells...

Jaymasta
01-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Tre Cool's!!!! but My setup is bigger he just has more cymbals

NaturalRaz
01-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Hands down.......Carter Beauford's kit is unlike any other.

Colombian-Drummer
01-15-2006, 09:29 PM
im with you.......carter beauford have a very nice kit

burnthehero
01-15-2006, 09:29 PM
I second JoJo Mayer's setup. It just seems like it would be so much fun to groove on.

beatsMcGee
01-15-2006, 10:17 PM
im a sucker for simple kits, b/c i love when some one can use a simple kit well, so with that said im gonna say travis barker's kit--on a second note he has some real creative acrylic kits with sick designes on them (ghetto blaser/famous BOH/cadilac symbol on bass drum)--just very stylish.... now if i was to go with a big kit player id have to say carter beauford.

Wegadrummer
01-15-2006, 10:22 PM

i agree.. since both you,me and carter are open handed players.. it must be him!

rendezvous_drummer
01-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Larry Mullen Jr.'s.......who could've guessed!

charlesurich
01-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Morgan Agren, Danny Carey, Terry Bozzio (of course!)

gr82bagn
01-15-2006, 11:12 PM
The set up I admire the most belongs to Slim Jim Phantom, if you constantly gig and find yourself on the road a lot you would appreciate his setup.

British Boy
01-15-2006, 11:21 PM
I like Benny Greb's, Akira Jimbo's, and Thomas Lang's CC one.

Bonham to the moon
01-15-2006, 11:27 PM
cool thread, umm i would deffinetly have to go with Mitch Mitchells double bass setup at the Isle of Wight festival. i also like Steve Gadds six piece studio set.

Drummerboy3940
01-16-2006, 01:19 AM
I like Dennis Chambers kits

Stu_Strib
01-16-2006, 01:28 AM
Carter Beauford, because every piece is suited exactly for his peculiar style of playing.

In the same vein, I'd say Bill Bruford, since his is setup exactly for his playing style.

Garvin
01-16-2006, 01:39 AM
Trilok Gurtu. Not my favorite exactly, but I appreciate his intension to cross percussive styles. On that note Airto's is pretty cool too.

finnhiggins
01-16-2006, 01:43 AM
In the same vein, I'd say Bill Bruford, since his is setup exactly for his playing style.

I'm with you there. Bruford has an excellent kit. Looks great. Makes sense. Sounds great. Big thumbs up.

For huge kits I'd pick Grant Collins and Terry Bozzio. For medium/large, probably Bruford, Thomas Haake, Danny Carey.. For small kits... well... how many ways are there to set up a small kit?

I love Matt Chamberlain's touring kit from his Tori Amos days, and Chris Pennie has quite a cool kit for his approach too.

hanman
01-16-2006, 02:51 AM
Tommy Lee! His double bass kit.

mediocrefunkybeat
01-16-2006, 03:26 AM
I have a high resolution picture of Bill Bruford as my desktop background so I'll bet you can guess what I'm going to say here.

I also really, really dig Joe Morello's. I know it's your standard four piece job, but I just adore it and I adore his playing; effortless and timeless.

Tempro_Pro
01-16-2006, 03:52 AM
John Bonham. you can't beat a 26" bass, it's great

east
01-16-2006, 04:55 AM
That big white kit Lars Ulrich used to use back in the black album days was a cool kit. I also like the cymbal setup on his current kit, I like how he uses that china to ride on instead of a ride, cool idea.

Raymond Bloom
01-16-2006, 01:45 PM
I second Jojo Mayer's setup. It just seems like it would be so much fun to groove on.
I also really, really dig Joe Morello's. I know it's your standard four piece job, but I just adore it and I adore his playing; effortless and timeless.

110% agree to both :-)

Fur drummer
01-16-2006, 03:49 PM
That big white kit Lars Ulrich used to use back in the black album days was a cool kit. I also like the cymbal setup on his current kit, I like how he uses that china to ride on instead of a ride, cool idea.

Yea I thought that big white kit was cool also. I like double bass kits with alot of toms but not to big. Kits like Simon Phillips and Billy Cobham play.

Togg
01-16-2006, 04:07 PM
It's always been Roger Taylor from Queen for me, I just love the big sizes, cymbals as well, the early kits looked great and were just so powerful, these days his kit is smaller but just as impressive if you see it up close.

Anchein Vouivra
01-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Tim Alexander kit around 94 mmmh with acrylic octobans, Jack Dejohnette with many resonating bell, Andrew Small and Pat Mastelotto with cool and massive electronic pads mixt up. Oh and Frank Beard kit rocks!!!

Lambo
01-16-2006, 06:11 PM
I'd have to agree, Jojo and Morgan Agren's have always interested me.

dougdrum3684
01-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Chad Smith's Octopus kit, the one he used in Red Hot Rhythms. Coolest wraps ever.

Loge
01-16-2006, 07:18 PM
1 .Carl Palmer's kit he used on the U.S. "Brain Salad" tour.

2. Tony William's yellow Gretsch kit (with his quintet).

3.Bill Bruford's setups: a. with band "Bruford" in late 70's
b. with 'Dicipline" era Crimson (very innovative)
c. his 'Earthworks' setups

4. Pat Mastelotto's setup he used in the 2003 Crimson tour. (so many things to hit!)

Superlow
01-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Elvin Jones Gold sparkle Yamaha's. Not to mentions his cymbals. I would want it tuned exactly the way he had them. Such a tympanic sound.

aahznightsky
01-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Ten bucks to anyone who can guess my favorite drummer's setup... but not really because that'd be too easy!

and besides him, i'd have to say Terry Bozzio's setup is just beastly ... i wanna play it so badly!

also i'd have to say i like the simplicity of ?uestlove's kit

zildjian_dude101
01-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Travis Barkers set the most, because he makes it sound like he's got so much more. Mike Portnoys just because it's so damn beautiful. Some others I don't feel like listing.

fourstringdrums
01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Ten bucks to anyone who can guess my favorite drummer's setup... but not really because that'd be too easy!

and besides him, i'd have to say Terry Bozzio's setup is just beastly ... i wanna play it so badly!

also i'd have to say i like the simplicity of ?uestlove's kit

I'm going to guess it's Bill Buford. He sets up (or sometimes does) in a fashion similar to yours doesn't he?

I agree about ?uestlove's kit. I always love seeing kits that are very minimalist.

I love Dom Famularo's kit for some reason, maybe because to me, you like at it and it somehow reflects his personality and style. The same goes for Billy Ward's kit.

carpediem930
01-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Big kit - Mike Portnoy's Purple Monster.
I also really like his OSI kit. That setup is really cool.

Small kit - JoJo Mayer's kit

TOMANO
01-17-2006, 08:26 PM
I'd have to say I'm more pulled in by how a set-up sounds, rather than it's configuration. Obviously, the metal-heads, the prog-rockers, Peart, Bozzio, Beauford, etc., all have great kits to marvel at and marvel I do...but the set-ups that mesmerize me are the ones that sound so great. Bruford's blend of both of liquid and "ping" on his toms is beautiful, complimented by his bright snare and excellent sounding Paistes. Gadd's toms are unbelievable with their "flappy" bottom end. Bonham's kit had a very metallic sound, couple with his ability, he made thunder& lightning. Buddy Rich's snare drum is the perfect snare sound. As for cymbals, the ride tones of Blakey, Cobb, DeJohnette and Williams each speak volumes.

TOMANO

crazyballa17
01-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Its been siaid already but i love carter beaford's set.... simply amazing

Johnest
01-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Phil Collins old Gretsh white kit with all those concert toms
Neil Peart most recent one
Jojo Mayer
John Bonham green sparkle kit
and Tommy Lee's kit for the Carnival of sin tour... That huge 28 bass drum is really hot!

ECVail
01-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Hands down - Neil's darker Roll The Bones kit. Not my favorite color, not my favorite Rush album, but it just works.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/ecvail/neil_d13.jpg

The new DW kit is sweet too, I just don't dig the gold hardware. I know it's nit-picky, but I think the brass looks elegant against the darker finish.

Export17
01-18-2006, 03:52 AM
My teacher's, but if i had to say a famous drummer it woul be danney carey.

roll_model
01-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Thomas Lang's is pretty amazing. Just the way he manages to put all his gear up in one lil space is crazy. I really admire his whole foot setup.

hand-hitted cymbals
01-20-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm not really all about the huge, crazy setups. I admire a drumset when it is unique, and when it has some originality. After thinking this through, I'd have to say Dom Famularo's set is the one I admire the most. Odd grouped toms, open handed playing, hi hats to the level of his snare... YEAH BABY THAT'S WHAT I LIKE TO SEE! If everyone played the same way, I probably wouldn't like drumming.

- Jason, your local friendly pile

ElvinBaRkerDennis13
01-20-2006, 03:58 PM
i liek Elvin jones kit because its simple but he pulls so much stuff out, but just for pure stuff, i l like the way the new tama mike portnoy set looks, its amazing!! its a mix of the old neil peart rush set and the bonham set

Jason Dorn
01-20-2006, 03:59 PM
ggfhgfhfghghfghfghfghfghfghftgh

3/4over5/4
01-21-2006, 03:34 AM
by far the set up i admire most is Chris Pennie's, so small, yet so perfect

\m/cornholio\m/
01-21-2006, 03:42 AM
These are probably my top 3:

Portnoy's Purple Monster (with a different finish, possibly in black)
Jason Bittner's Tama Setup at the 2005 MD Festival
Chris Adler's Mapex

Yogibear
01-21-2006, 01:48 PM
For best looking kit I would have to go for Keith Moons pictures of lily kit.
For big kits it would be Mike Portnoy,god I would give anything to be locked in a room for a day with that kit just trying out stuff.
For small kits maybe Travis Barkers cause he makes it sound a lot bigger and the designs are sweet or Jojo Mayers cause it just looks fun to play on.

pdp 9091
03-16-2006, 03:46 AM
either moon's set up.....pearts and i love bonhams set up....two floor toms to create thunder!

Class A Drummer
03-16-2006, 05:03 AM
Neil's set up in anatomy of a drum solo. All the rims instead of silver are 24 karrot gold.

pete_on_drums
04-10-2006, 11:53 PM
either neil pearts newish kit, or jason bittners sweet kit!!
god i love it

Doc
04-18-2006, 03:37 AM
Danny Carey's set has the ultimate selection of cymbals IMO, but my most admired drum set-up has to be JoJo Mayer's pre-Nerve kit. Put those 2 together and you have the ultimate drumset.

matt949
04-18-2006, 03:42 AM
I agree with those guys on Carter Beauford. I love his setup.

rendezvous_drummer
08-15-2006, 08:12 PM
I really like Beauford's kit and Chad Smiths kit. There's so much on Beauford's kit that it's be impossible not to have fun playing on that thing. Chad's kit because it's like mine and sounds really nice.

Drifter in the Dark
08-15-2006, 08:26 PM
My vote goes to Ahmir Thompson (?uestlove). I admire how he does so much with so little.

gringo998
08-15-2006, 09:28 PM
im not that much of a fan anymore, but i still have the biggest crush on Derek Grant's sets.
all of them are sweet. im not into the black and red color scheme, but they loook so amazing on his drums.

AE Gauthier
08-15-2006, 11:27 PM
I'd have to say Akira Jimbo's setup...

DGillespie92
08-26-2006, 05:25 AM
i like aaron gillespies alot....i have the same thing but its a yamaha with zildjian cymbals

J.W. Drummer
08-26-2006, 01:16 PM
A good portion of the members here agree on Carter Beauford as I do also. If I got in his drivers seat, I probably wouldn't know what to do.. lol.

apocalypse
08-26-2006, 08:14 PM
I dig the new set Joey Jordison has. Double bass Pearl's with the white custom Paiste cymbals. Pretty much my dream set right there...just with Zildjian cymbals. And now to make a complete u-turn and say I also like John Bonham's set. It's so damn simple and he makes them sound like a Neil Peart set. Tis cool yo.

Class A Drummer
08-27-2006, 03:07 AM
Forgot about Steve Gadd's and Thomas Langs.
Gadd Makes so much amazing music with a Slightly larger than average set and only a few cymbals. Thomas Lang's because... well... its just really cool with all the hi hats and stuff like that lol.

sir_willy
08-27-2006, 04:29 AM
Brufords. Since the first time I saw it I became determind that I have to play on a setup like that one day.

justJon
09-10-2006, 01:24 AM
In 1984, I wanted to be Alex VanHalen. I Love that kit with the 4 bass drums, roto-toms, etc, etc.

Drummer30
11-04-2006, 03:54 PM
I have several:

Neil Peart's Vapor Trails Kit (Red Sparkle and Gold Hardware are amazing together)
Mike Portnoy's Purple Monster
Steve Gadd's Black Yamaha
Terry Bozzio (for originality)
Thomas Lang's X-Ray Kit
Virgil Donati (gotta love the suspended toms)
John Bonham (best simple kit)

These are generally in order of most favourite, although their all amazing.
Neil Peart's 360 degree design and Paragon cymbals also make his kit all the more insane

Tom B.
11-04-2006, 04:07 PM
I like anybody with one rack tom, and two floor toms,

John Bonham, Tre Cool, Chad Smith...

Drum-Head
11-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Hi all!

The following are my favorite all-time drum set-ups.

- Virgil Donati's setup (this is not his actual config. I prefer this one!):

http://www.geocities.com/dominic_boegel/VirgilDonati.jpg

- Björn Fryklund's (Freak Kitchen) kit:

http://bjornfryklund.com/photos/batteur_magazine/01.jpg

- And Jojo Mayer's Kit:

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum38/Jojo-Mayer-2.jpg

Best regards,
Christopher.

sgt.pepper1986
11-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I think I like John Bonham's kit best, but I also love Mitch Mitchell's Premier. I also like Ringo Starr's black oyster pearl Ludwig, the one with the 22" kick, and his 1968 Ludwig Hollywood in the maple finish. My favorite Bonham kits are the black oyster pearl and the natural maple Ludwigs.

Goody602
11-05-2006, 04:21 AM
-Bonham's natural maple and green sparkle kits
-Jon Theodore, kind of a scaled down Bonham kit
-Stanton Moore with that 26" off to the right
-Bruford with his symmetry
-Bernard Purdie
-Benny Greb
-Elvin Jones
-And Shakerleg for anybody who is familiar with him

rendezvous_drummer
11-05-2006, 06:34 AM
I really dig Gavin Harrison's setup. Great kit, great sound and it looks so damn comfortable.

osamasgoat5467
01-14-2007, 10:37 AM
My favorites are Danny Carey's Paiste kit, Neil Peart's current setup, and Scott Travis's set with the 24x24 bass drums. And Bruford's kit with the SDX pads all over.

joey
01-14-2007, 01:14 PM
for it would have to be:
mikkey dee (motorhead)
vinnie pauls (huge drum sizes)
ian paice (cmon its beautiful)

and the best:
John bonham ( i couldnt leave him out)

gcarlet
01-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Mine is Jose Pasillas' kit.

Another question to ask is, if it were your choice, who's kit would you take, as is, to have as your own?

osamasgoat5467
01-15-2007, 06:49 PM

Another question to ask is, if it were your choice, who's kit would you take, as is, to have as your own?

I would either go with the Bruford SDX setup because the SDX systems are almost impossible to find. This one:

http://www.photogrammer.com/sdx/bruford_sdx_movie.html

Or the entire current Danny Carey setup with the Paiste drums, the Mac System and the new Mandala pads all over.

cjl71178
01-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Hands down - Neil's darker Roll The Bones kit. Not my favorite color, not my favorite Rush album, but it just works.

DUDE, that has to be my favorite Neil kit as well...my buddy recently hooked me up with a poster of this kit...definately going to be hung up in the music room at my house!

Besides that setup:

Keith Moon's setup from "The Kids Are Alright" movie when they show him doing the end solo in 'Won't Get Fooled Again'....man...all of those toms!

Definately all of Bonham's setups.

Carl Palmer's stainless steel setup during the early days of ELP.

Cozy Powell's red ludwig sparkle kit with Rainbow.

Simon Phillips' setup (all of them).

Dr.Hook
01-15-2007, 11:27 PM

The new DW kit is sweet too, I just don't dig the gold hardware. I know it's nit-picky, but I think the brass looks elegant against the darker finish.

My fav setup as well. I feel that those Ludwigs were the best sounding kit Neil has played to date. I'm not big on his DW's.Not the drums themselves, but more the setup. The toms are placed very high, and too me seems allmost unpractical.

Then again, i'm just a ham n' egger, and no Neil Peart!

mikeybbdrummin
01-16-2007, 02:02 AM
Gregg Bissonette's Mapex setup from his Musical Drumming dvd.
22 b, (w/double pedal) 10, 12, 14 in. toms and a 16 in. floor tom. His home studio kit was the same setup. It was the black/white Skyscraper Pearl kit, but w/two bass drums. I used to set up his drums 15 plus years ago and I got so used to playing on his kit that I adapted his setup to my kit and have kept it that way. Cymbal set up is almost the same as well. No trash hats.

Tubs player
04-03-2007, 05:37 AM
My favorites kits with lots of toms for example
Lars Ulrich or Nicko McBrain

fijjibo
07-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I second JoJo Mayer's setup. It just seems like it would be so much fun to groove on.

Yep. I ripped his kit off big time when I put together mine.

TioChaka
07-19-2007, 02:01 AM

Mine also, and I would take it, or Mike Portnoy's LTE kit, just great. I also like Sean Rickman's check: http://drummerworld.com/Videos/seanrickmanpopeye.html

Joel Woody
07-19-2007, 04:55 AM
Joey Jordison's kit is my dream kit.......i would love to have a go at it

drum.lad
07-19-2007, 12:15 PM
chad smiths its just exactly what i want in a kit and his cymbal setup is perfect for me anyway

Acronomic
07-19-2007, 09:22 PM
It's not a very unique setup, but I like the way Martin Lopez set up his drums around the Lamentations tour... pretty simple, and I like the 2up 2down setup and cymbal positions. Double bass is something I could do without though.

foursticks
07-20-2007, 12:10 AM
Jojo Mayer's set-up makes me want to play drums everytime I see it!

jayp
07-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Brian blade, Jo Jo Mayer, Jeff ballard. Buddy Rich, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Simple and classic, what can I say I'm Jazzin' baby!

Garvin
07-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Ha, I was totally thinkin' Brian Blade before I even opened this thread! Those Canopus drums just look sooooo classy. And they sound awesome too!

jmdiaz1980
07-31-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm very surprised nobody mentioned Vinnie Colaiuta!!!
He's my favourite drummer because of his incredible musicianship in every style.
I'd say that my 3 favourite drummers are:

1) Vinnie Colaiuta

2) Gregg Bissonette

3) Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez

And I also don't wanna go without mentioning the man who made me play drums: Mr. Lars Ulrich.

Mulletboy
07-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Mmm...I like the simple setup...John bonham's Ludwig...Natural finish.As far as favorite drummers go...Thomas lang for chops and matt cameron for groove.I play a pdp fs-series...A thing of beauty!

drumkicker
07-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Being a HUGE Carter Beauford fan, this kit would be first favorite[/SIZE].http://www.beaufordbuddy.com/images/cbdrumkit/drum_kit1.jpg

Tony Royster Jr., Teddy Campbell, and Jojo Mayer would be next!
http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drumpics4/tonyroyster654477.jpg
http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/pasic06/teddycampbell450.jpg
http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum34/jojomaier1.jpg

runj0
08-01-2007, 08:29 PM
For large drumsets it would have to be:

Bozzio's Behemoth set
Portnoys Siamese Twin" setup
Carter's kit from the DMB tour
Tim Alexander from Hallucino Genetics tour

for small kits it has to be:

?uestlove
brad wilk
matt cameron
chad sexton
chad smith
jojo mayer
roy haynes from MD 2005

most unique:

danny carey
bill ward
mike portnoy
terry bozzio
carter beauford

runj0
08-01-2007, 08:30 PM
o and one cannot forget bonzo's massive timpani along side his thunderous drums

Jeremy Bender
08-04-2007, 09:49 AM
The sound and power of Carl Palmer's custom Paiste kit made from cymbal alloy. I can't imagine what that kit costs, or how much the bass drums weigh !

ZildjianMan1023
08-05-2007, 03:27 AM
i like aaron gillespies alot....i have the same thing but its a yamaha with zildjian cymbals

then its not the same? i thought he used TRUTH C.M. Drums and Meinl Cymbals?

f106dart
08-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Carl Palmer's 2 1/2 ton stainless steel drumset that he used from 1973 to 1978. A work of art!

skullor
08-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Me my favorite drummers are :

-Thomas Lang : I love his style and his drums and his grooves...
-Lars Ulrich : Metallica drummer's...

stevedrum
08-17-2007, 06:42 PM
I really like Dave Weckl's and Terry Bozzio's setups.

Creothcean
08-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I love the setup that carter beauford used for his "under the table and drumming" video, but I would add a 18" x 16" floor tom.

Gilded
11-09-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm greedy, so Bozzio is the way to go.

aydee
11-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Not that I would play it, but I admire Dave DiCenso's setup ( with Two Ton Shoe ) at a gig up in Boston where he all that he played was a 20" bass drum, a snare, hi-hat and 1 cymbal.. and ABSOLUTELY SMOKED that set!

aydee
11-09-2007, 11:14 AM
oh! here is a song from that gig..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKG8yXWb6nY

Derek
11-10-2007, 07:02 AM
I've always been partial to six piece kits a la Gadd , Vinnie and I like Weckls' set up as well.

NIMBY
11-10-2007, 12:29 PM
i admire Brooks Wackerman's setup when he plays with Bad Religion, it looks so comfortable

Wavelength
11-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Not that I would play it, but I admire Dave DiCenso's setup at a gig up in Boston where he all that he played was a 20" bass drum, a snare, hi-hat and 1 cymbal.

I checked out the YouTube video. I really liked the snare fills and all the colors he used in them.

slingerland755
11-10-2007, 01:54 PM
oh! here is a song from that gig..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKG8yXWb6nY

Dave DiCenso smokes! I'm not familiar with him, but that's about to change.

aydee
11-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Dave DiCenso smokes! I'm not familiar with him, but that's about to change.

He's an awesome groover, Mike, with killer chops.. ( hes actually a Berklee teacher )check out the MD2006 DVD ( clips are available on youtube). Check out his band, only available at : www.twotonshoe.com and sample the tunes. I think they are mind-blowing.. this is what pop SHOULD be ; )

burnthehero
11-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Lately I've really been liking setups like Steve Jordan's and Stanton Moore's. There's just something about small, organic, musical kits that I really like.

Deathmetalconga
11-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Trilok Gurtu.When other drum sets are simple or bombastic variations of bass-toms-snare-cymbals with a couple of token percussion items (mine included), Gurtu is the only pro drummer I have seen who has seriously reconstructed the Western trap drum set.

f106dart
12-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Carl Palmer's stainless steel monster, circa 1973. Many firsts. First console or "rack" system a gazillion years before anyone; first synthesized drums, etc. More pix:

http://ladiesofthelake.com/cabinet/palmerdp.html#top

Skitch
12-13-2007, 06:19 AM
My fav setup as well. I feel that those Ludwigs were the best sounding kit Neil has played to date. I'm not big on his DW's.Not the drums themselves, but more the setup. The toms are placed very high, and too me seems allmost unpractical.

Then again, i'm just a ham n' egger, and no Neil Peart!Yeah,

This one is pretty cool! I really liked the first Ludwig kit he used for Hold Your Fire.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

harryconway
12-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Right now, Glenn Kotche's.

Steamer
12-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Easy. This timeless classic jazz setup from the great master himself Tony Williams in this photo from the mid 60's.

juan2many
12-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Not that I would play it, but I admire Dave DiCenso's setup ( with Two Ton Shoe ) at a gig up in Boston where he all that he played was a 20" bass drum, a snare, hi-hat and 1 cymbal.. and ABSOLUTELY SMOKED that set!

This is a new one for me, I'd never heard of Two Ton Shoe... I love this stuff.
Thanks aydee.

Resok
12-13-2007, 01:18 PM
John Dolmayan's Tama starclassic, The design's on the kit have been done by the creaters of comics such as spiderman, the hulk, batman, etc.
And it looks really sexy.

schist
12-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Derek Roddy's setup. I like how everything is so close together so that you're not swinging your arms out at extreme angles to hit stuff. Kinda similar to my setup.

ludwigcolorado
12-05-2012, 12:02 AM
bill bruford. that dude is nuts. him mike mangini.

SticksEasy
12-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Jean-Paul Gaster.

That dude lives my dream. Rather than endorsing a drum company, he buys and restores kits from the 50s and up. He re-cuts the bearing edges, buys new hoops, re-wraps the wood, all that good stuff. And then he tours with them in showroom condition.

My set up is based off his roughly. He uses a rack and a floor tom, bass drum, single pedal, you get the idea. His cymbal selection changes, but for the most part it's a 24" dry ride, 22" ride (as secondary crash), and usually a 20" or a 21" main crash. The dude is able to draw so many sounds out of such a simple setup. He's my favorite drummer on the scene these days, and will probably continue to be.

Vegas Island
12-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Bonham! One up, two down. Love a big bass drum. Such a classy look with a bombastic sound.

Bandit
12-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Aquilles Preister! He sets his up just like I do. 14 pieces of fun! :)

lsits
12-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Now I won't feel bad about resurrecting a six-month old thread :)

OrangeAgent27
12-05-2012, 02:02 AM
JP Gaster. Big drums, big cymbals! Gretsch drums and Meinl cymbals are a beautiful thing.

Kelly!
01-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Travis Orbin of Sky Eats Airplane. He has the strangest but coolest drum setup ive ever seen. My favorite drummer... Ever. Look him up on youtube and prepare to be amazed. Hope you like polyrhythms!

?uesto
01-02-2013, 03:19 PM
For functional kits that seem comfortable to play on and just make sense without more drums or cymbals or extras, I really like:

Tony Williams (Big Yellow Kit)
Vinnie Colaiuta
Keith Carlock
Steve Jordan
Jack DeJohnette
John Bonham
Mitch Mitchell

Awesome kits with a lot of stuff on it:

Keith Moon
Ginger Baker
Billy Cobham
Omar Hakim
Dave Garibaldi
Jojo Mayer

keep it simple
01-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Simon Phillips - not because I especially like his setup, but because it has remained virtually unchanged for 30 years, both in terms of setup & brands, & he uses it multi genre!

The Old Hyde
01-02-2013, 03:26 PM
This guy had a nice kit.

Spreggy
01-03-2013, 05:33 AM
What Pro Drummer's setup do you admire most....????

Me Jojo Mayer

This is the one I look to most when looking for ideas before a change of arrangement. The guy's got efficiency wired.

SticksEasy
01-03-2013, 06:10 AM
Jean-Paul Gaster, all the way. Most of the time, playing live, the dude uses a 20" inch crash, and a 24 inch ride over a 4 piece kit. He typically uses a 24x16 or a 26x14 bass drum. His intentions are the same as mine - get as many sounds as possible out of the least amount of equipment. I've had people make the comment "Nice half a drum set", which I take as a pretty big insult, especially from someone who doesn't play drums - but an even bigger insult from someone who does.

412drummer
01-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Some set ups I think either look cool or work well include danney carey, mark mironov, jo jo mayer (already pics up), matt halper, benny greb (Im guessing pics already up), thomas pridgen (no pic)many more.

Mikecore
01-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Fritz Hauser. His kit is very well suited to his style and creativity and he can make tiny drums sound positively huge.

Terry Bozzio/Grant Collins. Making a rhythmic instrument into a melodic instrument is pretty admirable no matter what your taste.

bigiainw
01-03-2013, 02:30 PM
I always wanted a 1980's Phil Collins concert tom set up.

The medication has helped though and I'm better now....

longgun
01-03-2013, 06:29 PM
I always loved Peter Criss' kit from the Destroyer era (around '76)..............I'd hate to gig with it, but loved the way it looked

percussivelibrarian
01-04-2013, 02:44 AM
Alex Cline (http://extranet.cryptogramophone.com/images/Alex_Cline_Full_Gear.jpg), Pierre Favre -- I'm not sure I'd want to gig with either kit, but I could spend days exploring all the metal sounds...