PDA

View Full Version : Best Wood Snares?!?!???

Stvst29
07-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi. What is your pick on the best wood snares?

cdrums21
07-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I recently heard a live broadcsast of Queen with Paul Rodgers and Roger Taylor of Queen was using a Ludwig classic maple 6.5x14 snare drum. It sounded awesome. I also heard a demo of it on youtube and it sounded great on there as well. Something about Ludwig snares, they just have that mojo.

Chonson
07-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Depends on what sound you're looking for. My favorites in no particular order are...

- DW Jazz Series 6.5x14 - tons of crack, great woody body.
- Noble & Cooley CD Maple 4x13 - The "One Headlight" sound. Small but fat.
- Brady 6.5x14 Sheoak Block - tons of body, slightly dark, hellacious crack.
- Any Craviotto maple or cherry
- Any Longo walnut.

groovy
07-03-2010, 09:14 PM
I prefer a maple snare over a birch, but I prefer birch drums over maple. I think it is all a matter of preference, and snares are something that many drummers have more than one of.

gwbaker
07-03-2010, 09:18 PM
I would love to find (and be able to afford) a clean Rogers Dynasonic.... wood. The Slingerland Radio Kings and Artists are hard to beat.

caddywumpus
07-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Hi. What is your pick on the best wood snares?

Wow! What a broad question! Best for WHAT? Biggest crack? Most woody sounding? Best looking? Best for rock? Jazz? Classical? Brightest? Warmest? Deepest? Loudest? Most complex?...

conchrandy
07-04-2010, 02:59 AM
OP needs a price point. Oh well, how 'bout one of those new Tama Starphonic 6 x 14 maples at $499. That broad enuff?

larryace
07-04-2010, 03:05 AM
There is no universal best. Basically speaking, a drum is a drum. Even if it's made from a "lesser" wood, guess what, it's still natural wood and besides the heads and tuning and more importantly, the skill of the drummer is really what constitutes the business end of a drummers sound. I have an el cheapo POS Yamaha stage custom snare that came with the 600.00 set and I crank that thing up and it rings like a bell (love that sound). It pops. It's cheap!

You could make a drum out of strong cardboard and like I said , good heads, good tuning, skillful manipulation by the drummer of the sticks on the heads, and you got yourself a good drum sound.
So almost any in round, true drum can sound awesome. Maple is in the middle of the tonal spectrum generally speaking, mahogany is warmer, birch is a tad brighter, so it depends on your cravings.

scoreking81
07-04-2010, 05:21 AM
I have a ddrum dios 13x7 maple which is awesome SOOOOO much crack to it, same with the chris adler and Joey Jordison signiature but thats just from metal

Stvst29
07-04-2010, 05:47 AM
OK, let me be more specific. I want a snare that has a nice crack. I play for church, but I play a variety of music ranging from funk to latin. I need something versatile

dxtrinc
07-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Hey Stvst29

I also play in a church and know exactly what you mean. The Dennis Chambers signature is a great snare! Great tuning range, nice crack (but not too over the top), and just a great all around snare.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-Dennis-Chambers-Signature-Snare-Drum?sku=448683

A bit expensive but well worth the money!

God Bless,

dxtr

madidus
07-04-2010, 12:00 PM
If you want crack, then consider a Jarrah shell snare. I made my own (see avatar pic) and absolutely love it. It's a freefloating 12x5" with 15mm thick shell. If I had a dollar for every time someone tells me how amazed they are that such a small snare can sound so big, I could retire. I also play mellow blues/jazz and in this context I really appreciate it's sensitivity.

mrmike
07-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I am convinced that Yamaha makes some of the best drums on the planet. The craftsmanship and attention to detail just seems to be as good or better than anyone else. Oh yea, this drum also sounds better than any of my 8 other snares. I liked it so much I went out and purchased the 5x14 version which immediately became my second favorite snare. I will probably pick up the 6.5x13 as well.

http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumproductdetail.html?CNTID=567909&CTID=5040580

PMyles
07-05-2010, 02:02 AM
For $400.00 to $500.00 dollars you open yourself up to many of the best snare drums the major drum manufacturers offer. It's a bit like asking what your favorite foods are. You will get many different answers from different players who don't really know you or your sonic needs.
A good music store is a good place to start. Describe the sound you are looking for and see what the store reccomends. I would suggest trying as many snares as possable. Don't buy the snare drum that day but instead find out more details about the snares you liked.
This will help you learn why different drums sound different, different ply configurations, different woods, different bearing edges etc..
F.Y.I I own a 6 1/2 x 13 Yamaha Sensitive series maple snare drum and I think it's exactly what they advertise it to be, a very versatile wood snare drum. I love it.

witchcraftery
07-05-2010, 04:20 AM
I just picked up a 1977 Pearl Snare, it is soooo beautiful.

I'm a gretsch guy, but wow. This is incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yl2kwD3M-g

Bo Eder
07-05-2010, 07:09 AM
The best one would be the one I used on a recording session and saw that particular song become a number 1 hit - much money and notoriety ensues.

Stvst29
07-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Hey Stvst29

I also play in a church and know exactly what you mean. The Dennis Chambers signature is a great snare! Great tuning range, nice crack (but not too over the top), and just a great all around snare.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-Dennis-Chambers-Signature-Snare-Drum?sku=448683

A bit expensive but well worth the money!

God Bless,

dxtr

thanks for the help.