PDA

View Full Version : Lars Ulrich

Pages : [1] 2

kenzo
07-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Hey.
Do you like him or do you not.
He was my instriretion when i was a kid, his the resen I play drum's to day.
I have seen him 2 times, and he is so good live.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Lars_Ulrich.html

needforspeed182
07-15-2005, 11:38 PM
I dont like him, he sais he uses what ever kind of drums he uses, but he uses Gretsch

spacebeat3117
07-15-2005, 11:58 PM
I dont like him, he sais he uses what ever kind of drums he uses, but he uses Gretsch
No , he uses tama thats known man.

Speedy
07-16-2005, 05:30 AM
I think Lars is a pretty good drummer in my opinion. I really liked his drumming on .....And Justice for All and Black. It was funny watching him get mad on the Some Kind of Monster DVD when they threw a surprise birthday party for Kirk but never one for Lars.

And yes, Lars plays on Tama, where did you hear he played Gretsch? Never heard that one before.

Smoky_McPot
07-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Lars was one of the first drummers i really got into. I think he complimented Metallica's music perfectly. He is not a technical master, but i mean he co founded metallica! 'Nuff said.

Doom
07-17-2005, 01:56 AM
Ive got to disagree that he's over-rated. I never hear anyone say he's the best metal drummer around or even that he's one of the best. I personally like him for his individual style. The parts he played in Puppets and Justice in particular serve the songs very well and no-one else ever would have done them.

And also the napster thing has absolutely nothing to do with his ability or the quality of Metallicas music.

samuelsonmosley
07-18-2005, 03:03 AM
He plays drums like a zappone but with feeling

samuelsonmosley
07-18-2005, 03:41 AM
I think Lars plays drums very good especially in "Master...";but today it seems that he heasn't interesting ideas like before;by the way,hi I'm a new member

Speedy
07-18-2005, 04:05 AM
I C, but what is a zappone!?!?!

NUTHA JASON
07-18-2005, 10:09 AM
i have to say that for me lars was a great inspiration in his time. its easy to judge him in this decade and put him and metallica down. i think their last few albums sucked and have left me very disappointed. but the albums up to and including the black album were great. there was that power and super chops. double bass drumming was introduced to south africa through metallica. enter sand man is a wonderful song to cover. it is a great pity that this band peaked so long ago now; and have been scrabbling for success ever since. at one time i would have said that lars was at the top of his game but based on their recent works i would say there are a lot of drummers who could stand in front of him. a warning to all of us confident drinkers. to rank as highly as some folks put him i would like to have seen some skill progression from the man. his personal development was rocket like from a teenager to the making of the black album and then he just wallowed. i hope i always get better as time goes on.

perhaps he should try playing some jazz?

j

samuelsonmosley
07-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Zappone means when a drummer plays with a lot of power and is totally into the song

Dyaxe
07-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Lars to me, does the job for metallica. he definetly can not be considered one of the best drummers around these day's, but aslong as he can drum for metallica im happy. listning to many of there bootlegs, you'l hear that he's getting quite lazy, such as not playing the proper begining to there song motorbreath, and sometimes not playing the double bass for dyers eve. i'd say he hit top notch during there ...and justice for all album, he definetly proved himself to be more then just your everyday thrash drummer. i give him credit for starting my favorite band, and also for keeping the energy in metallica. his drumming may be somewhat simple when comparing to other drummers, but his facial expressions will always be the best lol. I hope he can kick it back up on the their next album, to prove himself worthy of being a really good drummer. im a great fan through all of there albums, including the load era, st-anger, and S&M, and i hope it continues to be like that for there next album.

mediocrefunkybeat
07-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Until May 2003, they hadn't played Dyer's Eve since Lollapalooza 1992. I got my hands on the bootlegged recording and he was playing the double bass. And to someone like Lars, that is a pretty insane drum track. Not by say, Tomas Haake's standards, but to Lars.. yeah.

I actually think in 1988 Lars was turning into a good drummer. Pity his skills weren't so good later when the Black Album was released, he got lazy IMO.

Superlow
07-18-2005, 08:22 PM
The fact of the matter is Metallica are has beens. They were making metal to a certain standard that had a large underground following for a while, they had their own metal subculture. I feel it was because of them they brought a lot of heavy music into what is now considered the mainstream. Their old stuff was great. I think with their subsequent fame their music suffered the same thing that a lot of music that has lot's of money backing it suffers from. Over production. With over production things tend to get simplified to the point where they loose their balls. I think his drumming was one of the most noticable thing that suffered because of his ability to only play in direction. Personally I don't care for his drumming when it comes to metal. I have heard many other metal drummers that could put him to shame with their left arm and one foot. But you have to give Lars credit for for his early efforts. He could play dynamically and played pretty fast, he play what the music called for.

Breadmonkey
07-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I really dislike him for several reasons:

1) His objection to Napster and similar file sharing programs. If it wasn't for tape swapping in the eighties no-one would ever have heard of metallica, so in my opinion biting the hand that feeds you.

2) Sure, if you like their style the drums sound great...... after thirty takes. He cannot deliver the goods in a live situation as he does not have the technical ability to play his own stuff outside of a studio without having plenty of time to get it right.

3) I know people have admitted that he is not the most technical drummer in the world. Its entirely his fault he doesn't get much respect anymore from the drumming community. If he didn't let his ego grow into the out of control monster it has become he would say to himself "hang on i need to work on my technique so i can play better", but no he doesn't do this. So when it comes to show time, instead of playing what you hear on the albums, nice, even, properly done double bass work, you get him just hitting the double bass pedal as fast as he can, which some may say is rockin and intense but its not, it shows lack of control and ability and shows him up for the fraud he is.

4) while i found the black album to be very interesting and inventive, none of the other albums really blew me away, again his ego telling him that he doesn't need to try because he's lars ulrich.

****** END OF RANT*********

DogBreath
07-18-2005, 09:49 PM
1) I don't give a hoot what he does when he's not drumming. He can raise money for PETA for all I care.

2) So you're saying he's a perfectionist? Nothing wrong with that.

3) He gets no respect from the drum community? That's news to me.

4) One album you liked, and the rest you didn't. That doesn't make him a bad drummer. It means his music isn't your taste. Not the same thing, really.

********END OF RESPONSE********

mediocrefunkybeat
07-18-2005, 10:06 PM
If you go and listen to Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All (especially the latter) I realised that Lars actually had the potential to make a pretty good drum track. If you listen to the drum part on 'Blackened' (Track 1, AJFA) it's actually pretty technical and has its fair share of time signature changes.

You could almost say he laid down the foundations for modern technical metal drumming. (Alá Mike Portnoy) but obviously as not as refined. I quite like him on these albums and before that. After that, my mind changes, but before 1990, he was quite a good and creative drummer.

Speedy
07-18-2005, 10:13 PM
1) I don't give a hoot what he does when he's not drumming. He can raise money for PETA for all I care.

4) One album you liked, and the rest you didn't. That doesn't make him a bad drummer. It means his music isn't your taste. Not the same thing, really.

Couldn't of said it any better myself.

Speedy
07-18-2005, 10:15 PM
4) while i found the black album to be very interesting and inventive, none of the other albums really blew me away, again his ego telling him that he doesn't need to try because he's lars ulrich.

****** END OF RANT*********

If you think the black album is something, then I guess you haven't heard their other albums like Master of Puppets or ...And Justice For All, like I said earlier. Black is nothing compared to those other IMO.

Speedy
07-18-2005, 10:17 PM
I also agree with Superlow. Whose really would be the right drummer for Metallica? He fits the band perfectly IMO. Don't hate Lars just cause he plays with Metallica and you don't.

Breadmonkey
07-19-2005, 05:26 PM

1) Fair enough, but it highlights his personality that he cares more about how much money he gets than how good his drumming sounds.

2) No i'm not saying he's a perfectionist, i'm saying he's not very good.

3) perhaps it is news to you, but the vast majority of drummers that i've met and talked to in Ireland, even the metallica fans or metal guys, don't like him or his drumming

4) I don't like the music admittedly, but i never mentioned the music I was referring to drumming only

Funkdaddy
07-19-2005, 08:46 PM
I think it was on "...And justice for all" he used Gretch kicks. Can't remember where I read it, but they had a hard time finding the right kick sound or something. Even though he is a Zildjian endorser, he uses Sabian hats on some (if not all) tracks on "The black album". That I know for sure...just watch "One and a half years with Metallica".

BTW - Yeah, I think Lars is a good drummer for Metallica. Think of all the youngsters he inspires. He was one of my very first heroes.

Doom
07-20-2005, 07:56 PM
A few things I want to say. I think that most musicians want to be the best they can, understandably of course. but that doesnt mean everyone has to be that way. Lars can play drums, let him. Just because he isnt the best metal drummer or even among the best that really doesnt make him a bad drummer. As for his personality I'd like to point out that you really cant judge a person on what you read or see on the TV. Also his personality should not be of any importance to us, we are music fans and not his friends or colleagues.

On the metallica front, which has come up, I heartily disagree that they have done nothing good since the black album. There are plenty of great songs on Load and I think Garage Inc and S & M are both really good too. I agree that they have lost their way however. Their lives are so incredibly different from how they were before they were rich, I think they need to stop trying to write music they would've written and write music that they want to write.

DogBreath
07-20-2005, 08:14 PM
1) Fair enough, but it highlights his personality that he cares more about how much money he gets than how good his drumming sounds.

2) No i'm not saying he's a perfectionist, i'm saying he's not very good.

3) perhaps it is news to you, but the vast majority of drummers that i've met and talked to in Ireland, even the metallica fans or metal guys, don't like him or his drumming

4) I don't like the music admittedly, but i never mentioned the music I was referring to drumming only

1. You might want to do a Google search for a personality forum. This is a drumming forum.

2. 30 takes to get it to the point that he's satisfied with it makes him a perfectionist. If you personally feel that his live playing doesn't live up to his studio work, then that just means you like his studio work better. I'm sure he'd appreciate the compliment.

3. The majority of Irish drummers that you've personally met don't like his drumming? Now that's an interesting statistic.

4. You found the drumming on the black album to be his best? Again, I'm sure that he'd appreciate the compliment.

Note: the majority of Mexican sheepherders that I have personally had to my house for tea think that ad hominem attacks against drummers have no place on DrummerWorld.

CarterB_Junkie
07-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Remember that Lars is one of the only drummer (Collins maybe) that has a writing credit on all the songs of the band (except Motorbreath on Kill Em All) and they are now in the 100 million records area.

Milo
07-21-2005, 12:36 AM
Remember that Lars is one of the only drummer (Collins maybe) that has a writing credit on all the songs of the band (except Motorbreath on Kill Em All) and they are now in the 100 million records area.

There's plenty more I assure you, too many to list.

Lars was good and fast back in the day and he was one of my influences(and many others) when I started to play metal. His fills were never that strong but his double bass was faster than most for the time. He played with power that would make some of our hands bleed. Over the years his playing has become quite stagnant and uninspiring. It happens...it's happened with the whole band.

And WTF is up with the snare on 'St. Anger'!?!? Did he come by my house at 2am and steal my trash can to record with???

Stevis
07-23-2005, 06:59 AM
Hmmm.......

Yeah I like them them a lot until ..and justice for all. I'm not a big fan of black album even though it was their most popular, or anything else after it for that mattert. They have some song I'll listen to on load and re-load and so on, but I like the songs and am able to listen from kill 'em all to ...and justice for all w/ disliking it.

darkcherryfade
08-01-2005, 07:08 AM
My last thought on this- I actually think alot of Metallica's old stuff would've sounded better with some more complicated fills and whatnot.

ChrisD
08-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Lars was a big influence on me when I first started playing drums as I'm sure he was on alot of drummers.Looking back though the only real album that I think has good drumming from Metallica would be the "Justice" album by far.Although he had a few good licks on the S and M live dvd as well.

Bernhard
08-09-2005, 02:54 AM
Perhabs we're not doing right on Lars. He's very smart and knows exactly his position techniquewise. He never said, he's a better drummer than X or Y..... he just enjoys playing drums. It's not his fault, that he's always compared.

But for sure it's a very very popular drummer - outside the drumming scene.

Ask somebody - not musician - to name a drummer: Lars Ulrich will come up. So it is.
Not his fault.....

Bernhard

Blue
08-09-2005, 08:30 AM
I think Lars is very musical in his drum playing. Considering the slow tempos of many of the songs, he keeps a VERY deep pocket, and has incredibly tasteful fills and phrasing. I think he fits PERFECTLY with Metallica and is as important to the success of Metallica as the other members.

What he did with Napster TOTALLY ate his credibiliy. I don't quite understand his motives for doing that, but I need to respect a drummer as a person in order to listen to him. I don't know if he was looking out for the little people or himself. Considering how much success he's had, I don't see why he'd care if they're losing a little money to internet pirating.

ventor
03-23-2006, 01:22 PM
He was the reason for me to start drumming. Metallica were my very first Metal Band and when i listened to them i already felt: thats what I should do as well... And even nowadays I think he drummed perfectly on the lightning, master, justice and on some songs like enter sandman or my friend of misery also on the black album.
But the stuff he plays now makes me wonder: did the guy have an accident or what?? theres nothing left of the power one could hear in the early days. everything since load is complete boring, but the fault isnt only to be searched by lars, also with a better drummer these records would suck. However, if Metallica would have quit after the black album they would still be my favorite band als Lars one of my fave drummers, but he XXXXXXXXXXXX up... But I am still hoping that Metallica find back to their strength: Melodic, heavy thrash metal. theres still hope

Stu_Strib
03-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Regardless of personal opinions, Lars has a very strong enthusiasm for rock and drumming in general. Did anyone see the MTV special where all the pop artists du jour all took turns playing live Metallica covers for Metallica themselves? Lars was so into it, and I instantly gained a ton of respect for the guy. So what if he isn't the best. He is solid, and he is unique (just look at how many blast beats and 32nd bass drum notes he DOESN'T play).

The drum sound on "And Justice for All" is killing, especially the killer track "One". All the stuff before that is very dated sounding and rough around the edges. If making the Black Album (one of the top selling hard rock albums ever) and cleaning up your sound and maturing as musicians is "selling out", then I guess I never really liked the old Metallica anyway.

tambian89
03-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Hey:

I listen to the albums Kill 'Em All through ...And Justice for All only, as I do not like Metallica's style after them. I think Lars' best work was on ...And Justice for All, which is also my favorite album by them. His work on Master of Puppets was pretty good too. I think Ride the Lightning was a great step up from Kill 'Em All, whose drumming was quite simplistic (althought I feel it fit their style at the time). Now, I have seen some of Lar's live drumming as of recently, and I find that everything seems wrong. He has downsized his kit, and he doesn't really use the double bassing that well. Also, many of his drum parts bore me, as it is always hi-hat and crash. He never uses a ride after Ride the Lightning (bit of pun there), only in the intro of Welcome Home and he uses the bell in Disposable Heroes, which disappoints me because he limits his drum vocabulary. All in all, Lars in his prime (at least to me) is when he played on the first 4 albums; after (and including) the "Black" album, his skill seemed to diminish.

- Marc

photon
03-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Personally his drumming has never really inspired me. I do enjoy some Metallica though (the Black Album primarily and some of their covers such as Whiskey in a Jar, Turn the Page) and appreciate their very tight arrangements.

MOONCHILD
03-24-2006, 05:29 PM
yea he is quite an appearence but i dont like that he almost always play same thing you know what i mean.There are three or four things to learn from him and thats all.But he is quite a drumer

JohnMunsey
03-24-2006, 07:46 PM
I think Lars is a great drummer and was good on double bass for his time.

He also had some odd-time things in Blackened that was complex

Lars Odd-Time Analysis (http://www.dannybritt.com/lars.htm)

lilblakdak
03-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Thats a good little artcle. To me Lars is a little like AVH, you dont actually hear the interesting stuff he's playing because the guitar work is so overpowering on most metallica songs. I have a bootleg of a show from the St. Anger Tour and lar's playing is great. What amazes me most about his playing is how he can come up with the most "f"ed up odd time rolls and still come in perfectly on the beat.

MOONCHILD
03-25-2006, 09:05 PM
what reminds me that song ST.ANGER quite disciplinised druming and good rythm (slow part) i dont know how he does it in live appearance.And offcourse that is kind of music where you dont need to show off too much.

JohnnyDrums
03-26-2006, 06:20 AM

Lars is so awesome, hes just an all over crazy metal drummer. You have your opinon but....i dont know

lilblakdak
03-26-2006, 06:50 AM
You wanna here what Lars playing is like live go here:
Live Metallica (http://www.livemetallica.com/vault/default.asp)
You can download concerts from thier website for free.

Tam
03-26-2006, 11:08 AM
In my opinion lars is a dam good drummer and an great inspiration to me, he may not be the best drummer out there but i think his greatest skill to to put the right drum track to the right song.

Zardoz
03-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Lars the man: From watching interviews, to the whole Napster debacle, to seeing 'Some Kind Of Monster', pretty much killed my interest in him. He's more of a business man than a musician & that darn constant gum chewing drives me nuts!

Lars the drummer: One of my influences as well, but mainly from his early work. Lars' playing peaked with ...And Justice For All (whoever mixed that album should be shot though), then declined (like the rest of the band did) after that.

averypoordrummer
03-26-2006, 02:32 PM
i do like his drumming, could you imagine metallica any other way? he never overplays, and i always get the sense that he puts the song first.

dragonfire666
03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
ok im not like a lars h8r hes and alright drummer but what i find is people sayin that he is the only one for mettalica omg did none of u see the festivle cant rememeber what one it was but he was sick so jj (slipknot) filled in hello jj added more that one night that lars could eva do

lilblakdak
03-27-2006, 06:28 PM
ok im not like a lars h8r hes and alright drummer but what i find is people sayin that he is the only one for mettalica omg did none of u see the festivle cant rememeber what one it was but he was sick so jj (slipknot) filled in hello jj added more that one night that lars could eva do
Actually it sounded like crap. Ive heard the MP3 of that show. Joey was WAAAYYYY to busy for a Metallica song. Good thing he only played a couple of songs. The drum tech did the best job out of all of them.

Zardoz
03-28-2006, 05:57 AM
That entire show is available on Metallica's pay site. LiveMetallica.com (http://www.livemetallica.com/show.asp?show=41).

Dave Lombardo plays on 2 tracks as well. Much rather listen to him than Jordinson.

lilblakdak, ohhhhh no my friend. Joey is all over this concert. ;-)

Battery w/Dave Lombardo
The Four Horsemen w/Dave Lombardo
For Whom The Bell Tolls w/Joey Jordison
Creeping Death w/Joey Jordison
Seek And Destroy w/Joey Jordison
Fade To Black w/Flemming Larsen
Wherever I May Roam w/JoeyJordison
Last Caress w/Joey Jordison
Sad But True w/Joey Jordison
Nothing Else Matters w/Joey Jordison
Enter Sandman w/Joey Jordison

rendezvous_drummer
03-28-2006, 07:02 AM
Lars Ulrich was a great drummer, and i don't have anything negative to say about him except his latest stuff really lacked creativity. ...And justice for all, Black Album and Master of Puppets were amazing and i loved his drumming on those. Master of puppets is his best drumming (the song i mean).

Battered Sausage
03-28-2006, 11:44 AM
I still can't get over the sound of his snare on ST.ANGER.. Anyone?

heaven'stef
03-28-2006, 12:24 PM
woulnt call him a bad drummer, but overrated. his playing suits metallica perfect, that's good stuff. but many see him as a god, only cos they are metallica fans.

rendezvous_drummer
03-28-2006, 07:05 PM
yea that snare was pretty rough. just sounded like a damn........what's that drum called....MAN! The drum that latin percussionists use.

Zardoz
03-29-2006, 03:20 AM
yea that snare was pretty rough. just sounded like a damn........what's that drum called....MAN! The drum that latin percussionists use.

A timbale.

Although it's obvious they wanted a "raw" sound for that album, his snare sound is a little too overbearing.

rendezvous_drummer
03-29-2006, 05:08 AM
YES! Thank you sir! Man, what was he thinking!?

Stu_Strib
03-29-2006, 12:16 PM
...And Justice For All (whoever mixed that album should be shot though),

Are you serious? I think the bass drum on "One" is one of the best sounding rock bass drum sounds ever recorded. Compare it to Black Album....where did the bass drum go?????

DrumGod
03-29-2006, 12:21 PM

That snare is the reason people call drums Pots and Pans

screaming muffin
03-29-2006, 12:28 PM
well, say what you want but i like lars's snare on st. anger

Battered Sausage
03-29-2006, 01:01 PM
well, say what you want but i like lars's snare on st. anger

You really do? Can I ask why? Just can't get my head or ears around it.. sounds terrible to me..

screaming muffin
03-29-2006, 01:13 PM
You really do? Can I ask why? Just can't get my head or ears around it.. sounds terrible to me..

i like it because it's original, and it gets your attention. i wouldn't want my snare to sound like that all the time, but for a song or 2 it'd be cool

i haven't heard the whole album tho. if he kept the same sound for every song... hmmm... i don't know about that...

but for st anger, the song, it sounds tougher and more raw than most badly recorded snares, at least the ones i've heard

Battered Sausage
03-29-2006, 02:22 PM
i like it because it's original, and it gets your attention. i wouldn't want my snare to sound like that all the time, but for a song or 2 it'd be cool

i haven't heard the whole album tho. if he kept the same sound for every song... hmmm... i don't know about that...

but for st anger, the song, it sounds tougher and more raw than most badly recorded snares, at least the ones i've heard

I'm not talking about the song St. Anger, I'm taking about the album St.Anger.. he uses that snare sound for the entire thing...
Listen to the album start to finish and you'll have a VERY different view point on the snare 'sound'..

GAZZASCOTLAND
03-29-2006, 02:33 PM
does his job well....a good steady rock drummer...nothing too flashy....great drum sound...he wont go down as one of the greats but i like his style

CarlitosBaterista
03-30-2006, 12:24 AM
I also hated the snare sound on St. Anger and at first I did not get it. But then the explanation they give on the 'Some Kind of Monster' movie made me understand.

Bob Rock said something like "the objective of the album (sound wise) is to have a 'garage band' sound, and metallica is the band". They just wanted to finish a record, and the objective was to have a garage sound to it..so, from this perspective, I think they did pretty good...even though I would have liked the sound of the Garage Days Re-revisited EP much better, now that was a damn good raw sounding recording!

Peace.

Zardoz
03-30-2006, 06:43 AM
Are you serious? I think the bass drum on "One" is one of the best sounding rock bass drum sounds ever recorded. Compare it to Black Album....where did the bass drum go?????

The overall sound was crap, especially since the bass and midbass were almost non-exsistent (example: like most of Rush's releases in the 80's), but I do like his punchy bass drum on that album.

I haven't listened to ...And Justice in years, so I'll have to check it out again, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about the overall sound of the album.

kornslipknot
03-31-2006, 01:10 AM
Lars to me, does the job for metallica. he definetly can not be considered one of the best drummers around these day's, but aslong as he can drum for metallica im happy. listning to many of there bootlegs, you'l hear that he's getting quite lazy, such as not playing the proper begining to there song motorbreath, and sometimes not playing the double bass for dyers eve. i'd say he hit top notch during there ...and justice for all album, he definetly proved himself to be more then just your everyday thrash drummer. i give him credit for starting my favorite band, and also for keeping the energy in metallica. his drumming may be somewhat simple when comparing to other drummers, but his facial expressions will always be the best lol. I hope he can kick it back up on the their next album, to prove himself worthy of being a really good drummer. im a great fan through all of there albums, including the load era, st-anger, and S&M, and i hope it continues to be like that for there next album.

I agree. You arnt the drummer of one of the biggest bands ever for nothing. Hes awsome.

Stu_Strib
03-31-2006, 11:00 AM
That entire show is available on Metallica's pay site. LiveMetallica.com (http://www.livemetallica.com/show.asp?show=41).

Wow, what a surprise. Metallica has a pay site.

dragonfire666
03-31-2006, 05:33 PM
hey i no what i said before was pretty poor and actually if u listen to st. anger joey uses sum pretty fast double bass stuff in there. and i just finish watchin the some kind of monster dvd and it was totaly inspirin to play drums and guitar. wooo 'daddy plays dums' lars' kid is a rockin drummer

intooder
03-31-2006, 10:09 PM
I also hated the snare sound on St. Anger and at first I did not get it. But then the explanation they give on the 'Some Kind of Monster' movie made me understand.

Bob Rock said something like "the objective of the album (sound wise) is to have a 'garage band' sound, and metallica is the band". They just wanted to finish a record, and the objective was to have a garage sound to it..so, from this perspective, I think they did pretty good...even though I would have liked the sound of the Garage Days Re-revisited EP much better, now that was a damn good raw sounding recording!

Peace.

I think Mr. Rock might've made a verbal typo in calling that a "garage" sound instead of a "garbage" (can) sound.

Speaking of the Master of Puppets album, I was at a dream theater concert a few years back (6 degrees of inner turbulence tour), and their entire second set was them covering that album. They sounded pretty good, although they didn't improvise a whole lot which got a bit tiring.

tambian89
04-04-2006, 04:19 AM
I've noticed a significant regression in Lars' playing ability live.

Here:

Master of Puppets in 1989 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=b2s7DcIbkcI&search=Metallica

Master of Puppets in 2004 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=rQKhc6IKiFA&search=Master%20of%20Puppets%20live

Notice the difference?

Here's an Apocalyptica Version:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ijDUluXxPag&search=Master%20of%20Puppets%20live

- Marc

Zardoz
04-04-2006, 04:52 AM
Yes, the difference was clear as day. Why? Because they're not really 'metal' anymore and they're 20 years older. Then again, Neil Peart is in his 50's and can still play songs like LaVilla Strangiato note-for-note. That version of Master is more 'grooving', but come on..........just.........not good.

Note to Hetfield: For the love of God stop trying to sing and just yell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone has to get it through to this guy. Or, maybe he damaged his v.c.'s from all those years of screaming. Who knows.....regardless.....it needs to stop.

Symbolic
04-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Yes, the difference was clear as day. Why? Because they're not really 'metal' anymore and they're 20 years older. Then again, Neil Peart is in his 50's and can still play songs like LaVilla Strangiato note-for-note. That version of Master is more 'grooving', but come on..........just.........not good.

Note to Hetfield: For the love of God stop trying to sing and just yell it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone has to get it through to this guy. Or, maybe he damaged his v.c.'s from all those years of screaming. Who knows.....regardless.....it needs to stop.

Hetfield did hurt his voice on the black album tour.

The excuse "they're not really metal any more" doesnt cover the fact he cant play their old songs. Thats is really just a horrible excuse.

tambian89
04-04-2006, 05:37 AM
Hetfield did hurt his voice on the black album tour.

The excuse "they're not really metal any more" doesnt cover the fact he cant play their old songs. Thats is really just a horrible excuse.

Exactly! Regardless of their new style, they should still be able to perform their old music. Part of the reason Lars isn't as good is because he changed his setup, and his newer songs do not utilize double bass(with the exception of those St. Anger, but I hate that album, so eh) and the fills he used to do. Lars would probably be amazing right now if Metallica had picked up where ...And Justice For All left off. Think about it; he was getting faster and faster (I noticed it even while the were on tour for Justice), and a lot better while on tour. If the "Black" album had never been created, I expect we would have a much different opinion of Mr. Ulrich.

- Marc

ventor
04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
That´s exactly what I think, because his drumming on Justice was far more than just solid... It was really good, and he could play fast as well as a bit technical. Seeing the DVD for the Black Album tour, his drumsolo really amazed me. he was damn fast with his feet, and the sound of his drums was also great ;-)
they should have stopped after that, the black album was ok imo, but the rest?? not really

Zardoz
04-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Hetfield did hurt his voice on the black album tour. The excuse "they're not really metal any more" doesnt cover the fact he cant play their old songs. Thats is really just a horrible excuse.
Actually, what I said by Metallica "not really being 'metal' anymore" makes perfect sense. Did you notice how I said 'metal' ???? The meaning of "being metal", not necessarily playing metal music. I thought you guys would've caught that. Soon as they got to the top they got lazy, they have no hunger anymore and they're also corporate wh*res.......all those things aren't METAL. In other words, they don't give a rat's behind about playing their old songs good anymore, or playing good music at all. Woooooooooo! Thanks kids. *bows* Goodnight.

tambian89
04-10-2006, 04:56 AM
Anyone else pissed Lars went from this to this?
I am.....
- Marc

tambian89
04-10-2006, 05:03 AM
Oh yeah, anyone ever notice that Lars used a ride cymbal on Kill 'Em All, and Ride the Lightning, and never used one again? With the exception of Welcome Home's intro and the breakdown of Disposable Heroes on Master of Puppets, he does not use it at all on any of the other albums.

- Marc

D A D O
04-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah Lars plays on Tama but I heard he recorded black album with Gretsch bass drums. He even played on Sabnian hi hats on that album. Of course he plays on Tama, Zildjian, Remo and Ahead but only live. I read somwhere where he said he only play with Ahead sticks live but when recording he uses wodd sticks because cymbals sound better.

I think Lars is a great drummer, he's got something in his style. I don't like his some of his live fills though.

D A D O
04-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I don't like his St. anger kit but the silver one i really liked. I dont like the fact he removed ride cymbal.

I really dig silver sparkle kit man.

tambian89
04-11-2006, 01:53 AM
I guess no on really cares about his setup change. I, however, really do. I know Lars would play a lot better on his old setup; also, instead of a ride, he has a china in it's place. Even on the Justice tour, he did not use a ride.

- Marc

mikei
04-11-2006, 02:03 AM
I guess no on really cares about his setup change. I, however, really do. I know Lars would play a lot better on his old setup; also, instead of a ride, he has a china in it's place. Even on the Justice tour, he did not use a ride.

- Marc

I care!

Metallica started dying after puppets. And Justice was still pretty good, but far from Puppets or even their older albums.

Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning and Puppets had so much influence from Cliff Burton and Dave Mustaine. When Cliff died, they lost such a key player. Of course they got a much better lead guitarist in Hammett, but they lost a great song writer.

I only listen to their first 4 albums. Everything else is so cookie cutter. And the drumming is far from what it used to be.

I have 4 bootleg live DVDs of Metallica from before 1990. His playing was much better and more precise than my 1993 DVD for the Black album.

What a shame. Somehow though, the fans still love them. I just don't get it.

tambian89
04-12-2006, 04:40 AM
What a shame. Somehow though, the fans still love them. I just don't get it.

It's interesting you said "What a shame", because this is exactly what I think of when I think about Metallica. I look at pictures of Master of Puppets and the entire band in their youth; they seemed so much happier. I actually feel depressed when I think of what Metallica has become.

Now onto the setup issue: Lars may have changed his setup for 2 reasons.

A) After the band played the song "And Justice for All", they got off stage very tired from the length of the song. James immediately said "We're never playing that $*@%ing song again!" Lars also doesn't play the rolls on the toms when he plays "One" live (the decrescendos towards the end which were recorded for the album).

B) Metallica's newer material (post - Black Album) barely even uses the toms or double bass. Lars may have thought he would never need the two "extra" toms again.

Either way - I'm still pissed. The old set was so cool!

- Marc

tambian89
04-14-2006, 11:17 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eZSjCQiaLiM&search=Creeping%20Death

I think the is Lars' (and Metallica's) best performance.

- Marc

tambian89
04-15-2006, 05:02 AM
Lars is known to use odd time signatures on several occasions. For example, the earliest examples would be "Welcom Home (Sanitarium)" which I believe is in 5/8 time. Also in Master of Puppets, would be "Leper Messiah" with is in 5/4 for a good portion of the song and "Orion", which changes time signatures many times. "Blackened" is in 7/4 in the main riff. More recently, "Frantic" is predominately in 7/8 (I'm pretty sure, but I really hated the new album, so I haven't heard too much).

- Marc

tambian89
04-16-2006, 06:50 AM
Lars doing a drum solo. James then does a duel solo with him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5nEGSRZ-3JM&search=Lars%20Ulrich%20drum%20solo

- Marc

P.S. Be advised that the sound does not sync up with the video, so there is a bit of a delay.

2sticks4strings
04-18-2006, 02:20 AM
I like his drumming. Hes not the best, but far better than me so who am I to trash him? And tell me one drummer thats into metal that hasnt learned one Metallica song. I know I have worked out most of 2 songs. As for him and Napster, well come on.Thats how he makes his money, thats how a lot of people make there money. Its not the same as the old tape sharing days of the 80's. I have the original tape of Metallica I got sometime in 83 or 82. Its a dubed tape and as soon as I saw a LP in the store I bought it so I could get a better copy of it. Now you can get cd quality from your computer and never buy the original. Never pay anyone for the music. That would be like someone in the parking lot of the shop I work at fixing motorcycles so people didnt have to pay me. Your right I would be out there having a few words with that guy! Or better yet, someone just burning 50 copies of my bands cd and only paying me for one or maybe none,after I have spent a lot of money to make it, thats sounds great sign me up.Ya maybe he doesnt need the money but even if you where that rich I am sure you wouldnt like someone stealing from you, even if it was just a few dollars. So go ahead and trash me now for being on there side, I dont care.

Backbeat
04-18-2006, 05:46 AM
I think he's one of the best metal drummers... mixes up his time... has his own sound... A lot of people try copy him. I'm not a big Metallica fan, but respect his ability.

tambian89
04-19-2006, 12:30 AM
I think he's one of the best metal drummers... mixes up his time... has his own sound... A lot of people try copy him. I'm not a big Metallica fan, but respect his ability.

True..........Lars was one of the original metal drummers, and is part of the reason there is the "heavy" style of drumming. I do find that he is not much for fills, rather, he throws in rolls on the snare and sometimes on the toms. All in all, a solid drummer, but credit is given where it is due.

- Marc

Melll
04-23-2006, 05:55 AM
1st post.

Lars is a big inspiration to me, always has been. I've been a big Metallica fan, and a Lars fan for as long as I can remember.

I miss Lars' white Granstar kit, that was THE classic Lars drum kit.

It's true, he's not up there with some of the greats, but he plays with passion.

Will-Myster
04-23-2006, 06:05 AM
Lars is truley an amazing drummer. His style is unique and it's enjoyable to listen to his symbal patterns, how he transfers back and forth, and makes almost like little solo's with his symbal. I think hes just right for Metallica. He knows when to play it simple, and when to kick it up. Like enter sandman, simple beat. Then, you got One. Its insanity. Anyhow. I think Lars is one of the best drummers today in the world of rock/metal. I hope he remains in Metallica.

tambian89
04-26-2006, 05:06 AM
Lars is truley an amazing drummer. His style is unique and it's enjoyable to listen to his symbal patterns, how he transfers back and forth, and makes almost like little solo's with his symbal. I think hes just right for Metallica. He knows when to play it simple, and when to kick it up. Like enter sandman, simple beat. Then, you got One. Its insanity. Anyhow. I think Lars is one of the best drummers today in the world of rock/metal. I hope he remains in Metallica.

A "symbol" is one object that represents another by association, resemblance, or convention, while a "cymbal" is a musical instrument.

I agree with you. Lars knows when to play both simple and complicated grooves, and has a knowledge of when and where such grooves should be played. However, I have to disagree with your opinion of "Enter Sandman", as Lars could have created a more complicated beat which would have fit the song better.

- Marc

NY_Recording_Freak
04-26-2006, 12:27 PM
he is a solid drummer I will give him that but he has never evolved. Never anything thing more interesting from one album to the next and as part of a band that influenced a lot of early metal drummers I wish he would have devoloped into something better.

Oh well

tambian89
04-27-2006, 03:19 AM
Lars was very good after ...And Justice for All. Look at any of the videos from the tour Metallica did in the late 1980s or early 1990s (I usually know a video will be pleasing to me if I see that Lars is using his huge Granstar II), and one will see that Lars is indeed very skilled.

- Marc

dragaN-au
05-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Lars is probably the best "in context" heavy rock drummer of his era. Unlike alot of Metallica fans out there, i don't like their earlier stuff. Reload and S&M have been the bands highlights for me. Listen carefully to the drumming on One (S&M) and Call Of The Ktulu (S&M) and Devils Dance (Reload), top notch stuff...me <3 Lars Ulrich :D

deadbirdsoup
05-02-2006, 01:34 PM
i really enjoy listening to and playing along to lots of metallicas work. all in all, his drumming is over average-good (some excellent) playing, and i dont like hearing "lars is ok but not the best" - not alot of people are the best, he knows that, so do many other people, why are so many people comparing him all the time?

personally i dont think there could be any better work done for the drumming on most metallica songs, also some say he has lagging in pace, for double bass. last time i checked on songs like dyers eve, fight fire with fire, etc, they were pretty much up to scatch even on st anger invisible kid has some fast bits too.

so keep up the drumming lars!

tambian89
05-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Eye of the Beholder:

I agree: only one person can be the best. I think currently Lars is just not playing as well as he used to. Considering that St. Anger (although it in no way compares to the original 4 Metallica albums) was a return to Metallica's roots (some of it is thrashy, but it is mostly alternative metal), Lars has not played much of the material. There was a 3 year hiatus for the band.

However, I still think that Lars, the drummer for the biggest Rock band in the world, has no excuse to not be performing as well. If I could recommend a few things, I'd tell Lars to a) get your old Granstar II with all 4 mounted toms, b) practice your double bassing, and c) get a ride cymbal, instead of using a china cymbal in it's place.

- Marc

lfdy
05-08-2006, 11:05 AM
He doesn't have a ride? Strange...

I think Lars is pretty mediocre. He gets the job done, and that's what's most important.

I always get in an argument with a friend of mine, who really loves metallica, and thinks Lars is the best drummer in the world...sigh...

VampiricNightMachine
05-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Eye of the Beholder:

I agree: only one person can be the best. I think currently Lars is just not playing as well as he used to. Considering that St. Anger (although it in no way compares to the original 4 Metallica albums) was a return to Metallica's roots (some of it is thrashy, but it is mostly alternative metal), Lars has not played much of the material. There was a 3 year hiatus for the band.

However, I still think that Lars, the drummer for the biggest Rock band in the world, has no excuse to not be performing as well. If I could recommend a few things, I'd tell Lars to a) get your old Granstar II with all 4 mounted toms, b) practice your double bassing, and c) get a ride cymbal, instead of using a china cymbal in it's place.

- Marc

Does he really have to practice his doulbe bass? have you already seen him live and did he mess up a little? Well I think I have heard that in the old days of metallica he often had to warm up for a long time for being able to play some songs with fast double bass but is this still the case?
I have also heard they have never played dyer´s eve live, is this true? (great song and pretty fast double bass)

Mediocrefunkybeat
05-08-2006, 03:05 PM
They have played Dyer's Eve live. Twice. Once in Lollapalooza '93 and another time in May '04 (I used to have a bootlegged recording) So he can still play it. Just.

Crazy
05-08-2006, 05:56 PM
I think his drumming is worth listening from ride the lightning to master of puppets, for the remainder it's just rock'n'roll....he also admitted that from the black album onwards he wanted his drumming to become closer with the bass than the guitars and that's probably the result of his playing on the more recent albums, which I personally don't find very interesting, well yet again I guess the songs have an influence on my opinion

Mediocrefunkybeat
05-09-2006, 03:35 AM
the dude who helped do this really badass Slayer cd is doing the next Metallica cd. This may just be a rumor, but I think it's the truth cause I've heard it everywhere.

You mean Rick Rubin? He produced quite a few of the early Slayer albums. Good producer, he also worked with System of a Down amongst others. Either way it couldn't be any worse than Bob Rock.

lfdy
05-09-2006, 07:59 PM
You mean Rick Rubin? He produced quite a few of the early Slayer albums. Good producer, he also worked with System of a Down amongst others. Either way it couldn't be any worse than Bob Rock.

True, i also heard Rick Rubin is going to produce Metallica's next cd. I believe he also produced for the Chili Peppers.

Mediocrefunkybeat
05-09-2006, 08:41 PM
True, i also heard Rick Rubin is going to produce Metallica's next cd. I believe he also produced for the Chili Peppers.

I'm actually in two different minds about Rick. Part of me sees him as a great producer who has produced many many classic albums. Consistent and he usually delivers. However, another part of me can't help but think he's very one dimensional. He can produce metal very, very well, but I haven't seen much outside of that genre.

Either way I prefer Trent Reznor, Alan Parsons and Mike Oldfield. Of course there's no way he could be worse than Rock. I cannot stand Bob Rock.

mikei
05-09-2006, 09:06 PM
I dig Rick Ruben.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with being good at only one thing.

He kicks ass for metal. That is what Metallica needs to get back to. Ever since the black album with Bob Rock, they became Bon Jovi part 2.

Rick Ruben might make the little boys become men again.

I was watching my bootleg concert of Metallica from the MOP tour at a small club last night. Jason Newstead's first gig. They were really great back then.

lfdy
05-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Of course there's no way he could be worse than Rock. I cannot stand Bob Rock.

I fully agree, i can't stand that guy either.

I thought Rick Rubin has produced lots of non metal albums too?

Mediocrefunkybeat
05-09-2006, 09:58 PM
He probably did. It just seems to me he seems big in only the one genre.

tambian89
05-10-2006, 03:47 AM
Does he really have to practice his doulbe bass? have you already seen him live and did he mess up a little? Well I think I have heard that in the old days of metallica he often had to warm up for a long time for being able to play some songs with fast double bass but is this still the case?
I have also heard they have never played dyer´s eve live, is this true? (great song and pretty fast double bass)

I saw them play Dyer's Eve. Lars made no attempt whatsoever to even play the double bass part. He simply played slow 16th notes on the high hat, 8th notes on the snare, and played a single bass durm stroke on the "e"s. It was sad.

The only song I have ever seen him perform the double bass properly was "Harvester of Sorrow".

And for God's Sake - Get a Ride cymbal!!! This and the tom issue annoy me most. Get the two other toms back, and get a ride! He uses this China in the place of a ride, and it sounds horrible. In case no one noticed, Lars hasn't used a ride cymbal since Master of Puppets. Check it out!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=crsD-uQ6qVE&search=The%20Unforgiven

I know that he uses a hihat at the part he uses the china, but I still hate it. GET A RIDE LARS!!!!!!!!

- Marc

Ulrich87
05-10-2006, 08:10 PM
I saw them play Dyer's Eve. Lars made no attempt whatsoever to even play the double bass part. He simply played slow 16th notes on the high hat, 8th notes on the snare, and played a single bass durm stroke on the "e"s. It was sad.

The only song I have ever seen him perform the double bass properly was "Harvester of Sorrow".

And for God's Sake - Get a Ride cymbal!!! This and the tom issue annoy me most. Get the two other toms back, and get a ride! He uses this China in the place of a ride, and it sounds horrible. In case no one noticed, Lars hasn't used a ride cymbal since Master of Puppets. Check it out!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=crsD-uQ6qVE&search=The%20Unforgiven

I know that he uses a hihat at the part he uses the china, but I still hate it. GET A RIDE LARS!!!!!!!!

- Marc

What the hell are you talking about!? Lars used a ride in every album, but he played it as a ping cymbal! Do your research man!!!

mikei
05-10-2006, 08:42 PM
I think tambian is right.

If he has it on his set, I haven't heard him use it.

I guess Lars is doing really horrible technically now.

I was watching one of Dave Lombardo's drum clinics and he stated that Lars isn't drumming really well now. That is one of the reasons he and Joey played live with Metallica.

Also, Dave was cool about it. He said that it was sad. He then gave a recollection of his troubles in 1990 and 1991. He stated that sometimes musicians go through this.

According to Dave, Lars has lots of trouble with keeping the tempo of the songs consistent.

Mike

infernal drummer
05-11-2006, 04:02 PM
What the hell are you talking about!? Lars used a ride in every album, but he played it as a ping cymbal! Do your research man!!!

not on the live songs ive seen so far.. on some kind of a monster documentary they play frantic.. and he is using some sort of a china

Ulrich87
05-11-2006, 08:13 PM
not on the live songs ive seen so far.. on some kind of a monster documentary they play frantic.. and he is using some sort of a china

Oh.. You were talking about recent, live? Well no matter, the china he uses now makes almost the same sound as the St.anger ride.. imo
And I'd say that I like the china better:)

tynn
05-11-2006, 10:13 PM
can't say I like him. And somebody should really give him some bigger cymbals. he should be using 18",19" and 20". It would suit his style and Metallica's music MUCH better! Using Z custom instead of A custom would also be a great inprovement.

anyone agree?

Mediocrefunkybeat
05-11-2006, 10:24 PM
I disagree actually, I quite think he's done very very well with the gear he's got. Listen to 'Master of Puppets'. Whatever setup he's using there, he should go right back to it. I know he's using a Black Beauty snare there he borrowed on that album. His cymbals sound great and that was made before A or indeed Z Customs were even on the market.

I really used to love Metallica a few years ago, but I started listening again with a more critical ear. Actually, on the early albums I quite admire his playing. It's nothing to scream from the rooftops about but it fits the music perfectly.

lfdy
05-11-2006, 10:32 PM
can't say I like him. And somebody should really give him some bigger cymbals. he should be using 18",19" and 20". It would suit his style and Metallica's music MUCH better! Using Z custom instead of A custom would also be a great inprovement.

anyone agree?

Not really, sorry...

His A customs sound really great. Maybe he should get some bigger ones, but his seem to be doing fine. It's not like you can't hear them above anything else.

tynn
05-11-2006, 11:33 PM
I play A custom too, and they sound great. but they don't fit metallica as well as i think Z custom would...

GregsEve
05-18-2006, 01:21 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eZSjCQiaLiM&search=Creeping%20Death

I think the is Lars' (and Metallica's) best performance.

- Marc

that's the best i've ever heard james' voice sound live. killer, thanks.

Sonor_Power
05-20-2006, 08:55 PM
I think Lars is great, and he has been, and allways will be, a huge inspiration to me.
And i agree, i think it's crap that he's not using his granstar anymore. I mean, c'mon, how can you not love this?
http://www.bstuck.com/jamie/drummers/lars/pics/oldlars21.jpg

Black and white deliciousness. I wish i had hardware like that.

NDNDrummer
05-22-2006, 03:27 AM
Hi there,

Does anyone know how he performs the doubles on his bass drum.

i.e. heel toe technique? or what?

Thanks,
K

Ulrich87
05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Hi there,

Does anyone know how he performs the doubles on his bass drum.

i.e. heel toe technique? or what?

Thanks,
K

He does it straight out, fast "gravity" heel up style. ie. you use the toe to make one sound, then you lift your knee a slightly, and hits it with toes again. I use the same tecnique but it is a little difficult to explain in wrighting.. I hope this cleared it up a little though:)

Storm Drummer
05-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Love him! Great drummer cool style, very much an inspiration! Well to me anyway! LOL

NDNDrummer
05-26-2006, 03:14 AM
Yeh, his drumming on ST Anger is great, apart from the Snare but you get used to it. I prefer the fat flat sounding snare he uses on his earlier albums. What really annoys me is that he has excellent bass drumming style but it is not that easy to hear on their albumns, except maybe reload and S&M. Especially when he plays song on St Anger where he alternates (very quickly I might add) the single and double with his right foot (fast parts on st anger - not the double bass)

tambian89
05-26-2006, 06:27 AM

I've done plenty of research. Everything is hihats and crash. The only time he may even use a ride is to get a the sound of a crash ( a very heavy crash). I've got the videos to prove it, and there is no way to replace a ride with a china. A ride is basically a necessity (regardless of the genre of music).

- Marc

NDNDrummer
05-29-2006, 03:41 AM
I've done plenty of research. Everything is hihats and crash. The only time he may even use a ride is to get a the sound of a crash ( a very heavy crash). I've got the videos to prove it, and there is no way to replace a ride with a china. A ride is basically a necessity (regardless of the genre of music).

- Marc

how does he play the beginning of hero of the day?

tambian89
05-29-2006, 09:40 PM
how does he play the beginning of hero of the day?

In terms of a live performance, see for yourself.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lHimBeHtuRM&search=Hero%20of%20the%20Day%20live

You can clearly see that Lars was using a china. I really don't like this song at all, but since you guys decided to reference Metallica's newer material (even though I was referring to Lars' work on Justice and earlier), here you go.

HAHA! Ulrich87 = pwn3d! UH!

- Marc

tambian89
05-29-2006, 11:21 PM
My main point is this:

Lars went from playing this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eZSjCQiaL...eeping%20Death

To playing this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hzq7hBeU2g0&search=Creeping%20Death%20live

and went from this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=wyt0H9pKZ88&search=master%20of%20puppets%20live

to this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rQKhc6IKiFA&search=master%20of%20puppets%20live

Notice the use of the china Ulrich87.

One can certainly gather that Lars is far from his peak. He's only about 42 years old, and should still be able to perform well. Like Dave Lombardo said, he could just be having trouble as Dave did on the Seasons in the Abyss tour, but whatever the problem, Lars has to realize that he is the timekeeper for the biggest band in the world. The others, aside from James Hetfield, whose voice has faltered (which was destroyed during the recording of the "Black" Album), have not shown any signs of being unable to play. I seem to recall readin on this post that Lars viewed Metallica as a business; if so, it is quite clear why his playing is not so.

- Marc

syaoran05
05-30-2006, 04:51 PM
stop pawning each other damnit.

Lars is using a 20" A Ping Ride.

everybody happy now?

if he got that ride now, he prolly had a ride any other time. he just dont use one like one.

NDNDrummer
05-31-2006, 03:44 AM
stop pawning each other damnit.

Lars is using a 20" A Ping Ride.

everybody happy now?

if he got that ride now, he prolly had a ride any other time. he just dont use one like one.

Exactly,
listen to Call of Ktulu on S&M (on that section in towards the end when he is doing constant doubles with his right foot, using the ride to keep time)
And on Hero of the Day on S&M when he does the long (boring) intro

syaoran05
05-31-2006, 04:35 AM
Exactly,
listen to Call of Ktulu on S&M (on that section in towards the end when he is doing constant doubles with his right foot, using the ride to keep time)
And on Hero of the Day on S&M when he does the long (boring) intro

he has a ride, but he doesnt use it as one - its just another heavy crash for him. if he needs the ride sound that's the only time he'll use it. about the china, well its his choice to use it as his primary ride.

purdie uses a china for a main ride and it sounds nice, and he also uses a ride for his primary crash just like lars. but check this: Purdie isnt Lars.

VinniePaul
06-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Have you guys listened to the song St Anger on the album with the same name?
Some of you said he did not do any effort after Black Album?

He tries as hell on this song and he does it great! He has not lost his skills in drumming!

balboa
06-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Lars is an asset to metallica, other than that, he is ur average drummer you would see at any gig in an average size bar. im not knockin him, but thats the reality. he influenced me for many years, but one doesnt have to be a god to influence somebody. with metallica he is a god. if the man does not want to use a ride, thats his problem. i dont play with any splash cymbals, i hope someone doesnt think im a bad drummer because of it.

mikei
06-02-2006, 02:28 AM
I think the belief is that he has regressed as a drummer. Without a doubt, I think that is true.

That being said, he was perfect for the early metallica when they had some cajones.

Now, they sound like a club band. At least to me. One of my friends does not appreciate the old metallica but loves from the black album on. It is all a matter of taste.

I do not feel that right now, he could drum as well or as fast has he did back in the mid to late 80s. Certainly he does not drum with the same passion and power.

NDNDrummer
06-02-2006, 03:42 AM
I think the belief is that he has regressed as a drummer. Without a doubt, I think that is true.

That being said, he was perfect for the early metallica when they had some cajones.

Now, they sound like a club band. At least to me. One of my friends does not appreciate the old metallica but loves from the black album on. It is all a matter of taste.

I do not feel that right now, he could drum as well or as fast has he did back in the mid to late 80s. Certainly he does not drum with the same passion and power.

Again, as Vinnie says, have you heard St Anger?, it's great drumming, very fast and lots of double bass too. If you watch the accompanying DVD, he plays with such ease!

tambian89
06-03-2006, 09:55 PM
he has a ride, but he doesnt use it as one - its just another heavy crash for him. if he needs the ride sound that's the only time he'll use it. about the china, well its his choice to use it as his primary ride.

purdie uses a china for a main ride and it sounds nice, and he also uses a ride for his primary crash just like lars. but check this: Purdie isnt Lars.

This is exactly what I said. Since 2003 he has replaced it with a CHINA CYMBAL. Purdie is a jazz drummer, so he cannot really be compared to Lars in terms of grooves, but yes he does have a use for his cymbals.

- Marc

infernal drummer
06-04-2006, 03:29 PM
about that ride.. ive just seen san diego 92 .. there might be a ride.. but its not clear.. he has 3 cymbals on his right side, and a china.. where there normaly would be a ride he has a high hat. it looks like that for me.. on cunning stunts he defidently has a china where there should be a ride.. if he has a ride. he isnt using it very much. there could be a crash/ride somewhere, i dont know. like i said.. he isnt using it much. cant actually recall him using it now.... live that is..

syaoran05
06-04-2006, 04:58 PM
about that ride.. ive just seen san diego 92 .. there might be a ride.. but its not clear.. he has 3 cymbals on his right side, and a china.. where there normaly would be a ride he has a high hat. it looks like that for me.. on cunning stunts he defidently has a china where there should be a ride.. if he has a ride. he isnt using it very much. there could be a crash/ride somewhere, i dont know. like i said.. he isnt using it much. cant actually recall him using it now.... live that is..

he has a china in the position of where the ride would normally be.... but the ride is placed among the crashes,a nd its an avedis too so its hard to see which one the ride is.... but definitely he has a ride...

he has a china in the position of the ride, but he has a ride. he uses that ride as a crash.

its either he has a ride or Zildjian.com is lying.

infernal drummer
06-04-2006, 10:33 PM
he has a china in the position of where the ride would normally be.... but the ride is placed among the crashes,a nd its an avedis too so its hard to see which one the ride is.... but definitely he has a ride...

he has a china in the position of the ride, but he has a ride. he uses that ride as a crash.

its either he has a ride or Zildjian.com is lying.

hmm just saw cunning stunts again .. "until it sleeps" he does play a ride. ride is placed UNDER the china :D odd.. ure probaly right about the ride in san diego 92.. i just cant recall hearing him play it.

Ulrich87
06-04-2006, 10:49 PM
hmm just saw cunning stunts again .. "until it sleeps" he does play a ride. ride is placed UNDER the china :D odd.. ure probaly right about the ride in san diego 92.. i just cant recall hearing him play it.

I think it's VERY odd that you people haven't noticed that before now..

Ulrich87
06-04-2006, 10:59 PM
I was hardly owned; That is one rare occasion when Lars used a ride; tell me five more songs on or after ...And Justice for All when he uses a ride.

- Marc

- Bleeding me
- Unforgiven 2
- The memory remains
- Better than you
- Where the wild things are
- Fixxxer
- Untill it sleeps
- Call of Ktulu (on the S&M record AND on RTL)

Just had to...

METAL_DRUMMER
06-10-2006, 05:26 AM
[QUOTE=Breadmonkey]I really dislike him for several reasons:

1) His objection to Napster and similar file sharing programs. If it wasn't for tape swapping in the eighties no-one would ever have heard of metallica, so in my opinion biting the hand that feeds you.

2) Sure, if you like their style the drums sound great...... after thirty takes. He cannot deliver the goods in a live situation as he does not have the technical ability to play his own stuff outside of a studio without having plenty of time to get it right.

3) I know people have admitted that he is not the most technical drummer in the world. Its entirely his fault he doesn't get much respect anymore from the drumming community. If he didn't let his ego grow into the out of control monster it has become he would say to himself "hang on i need to work on my technique so i can play better", but no he doesn't do this. So when it comes to show time, instead of playing what you hear on the albums, nice, even, properly done double bass work, you get him just hitting the double bass pedal as fast as he can, which some may say is rockin and intense but its not, it shows lack of control and ability and shows him up for the fraud he is.

****** END OF RANT*********[QUOTE]
he may have an ego but it does mean he is a bad drummer, remember in the 80s most drummers didnt even play double bass, but he did, most drummers had a big ass kit just to play super easy drum beats(KISS drummer) that proves lars is a kickass drummer

ZDdrums
06-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Lars was one of my original drumming inspirations, but that was waaaayyy before the St. Anger album. Once that CD came out, I just never looked at him the way I used to.

Symbolic
06-10-2006, 06:07 PM

he may have an ego but it does mean he is a bad drummer, remember in the 80s most drummers didnt even play double bass, but he did, most drummers had a big ass kit just to play super easy drum beats(KISS drummer) that proves lars is a kickass drummer

Lars is a bad drummer now. Even back in the day he wasnt a really good drummer anyways. There were alot of bands playing double bass back in the 80's, and played it better than Lars. Lars plays very simple beats as well, he might throw in a different one but not something that is terribly difficult. Double bass doesnt make you good.

syaoran05
06-11-2006, 06:02 AM
I really dislike him for several reasons:

yeah, but see, you need to look at it from the view of a person that wants his band to be famous. at the start what matters most is that the name Metallica would be popular, so people would watch them, hear them and buy them; so they'd allow the tape swapping because its what will spread the word about Metallica -awhat will make them popular.

then of course you want to earn money, not lose it.. while theyre not gigging and promoting their songs, they sit down and compose songs; or when they just want to relax - it will take time offstage hence they wont be paid any money except those that come from royalty. and that royalty comes from tapes and CD's being sold. now, if everything was napstered no one would buy their CD's and they wont get any money at all.

personally i'd do exactly the same.. i'd release an EP then tell anyone they could spread it in any way so that my band's name will become popular. then when we get signed we'll tell everyone not to download our songs illegally or get pirated copies coz i know that the money we earn from the records we release will go to waste if everybody just got pirated coipes and downloads.

Double bass doesnt make you good.

who said double bass made Lars good? the thing is that people percieve Lars' double bassing intense, not that his playing double bass makes him good.

dawg
06-11-2006, 06:16 AM
say this about lars...he's gotten the MOST out of his ability.

tambian89
06-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Whatever with the whole ride thing. If he uses the ride on those songs, ok, but he uses it too sparingly, and most of his drumming is crash and hihats. I think Lars' drumming has gone downhill since ...And Justice for All, which is where I stopped listening to Metallica.

- Marc

Symbolic
06-11-2006, 09:47 PM
yeah, but see, you need to look at it from the view of a person that wants his band to be famous. at the start what matters most is that the name Metallica would be popular, so people would watch them, hear them and buy them; so they'd allow the tape swapping because its what will spread the word about Metallica -awhat will make them popular.

then of course you want to earn money, not lose it.. while theyre not gigging and promoting their songs, they sit down and compose songs; or when they just want to relax - it will take time offstage hence they wont be paid any money except those that come from royalty. and that royalty comes from tapes and CD's being sold. now, if everything was napstered no one would buy their CD's and they wont get any money at all.

personally i'd do exactly the same.. i'd release an EP then tell anyone they could spread it in any way so that my band's name will become popular. then when we get signed we'll tell everyone not to download our songs illegally or get pirated copies coz i know that the money we earn from the records we release will go to waste if everybody just got pirated coipes and downloads.

who said double bass made Lars good? the thing is that people percieve Lars' double bassing intense, not that his playing double bass makes him good.

If you read my post fully you would see I was quoting someone that said he didnt like Lars due to his objection of Napster. I actually believe Lars did the right thing sueing Napster. Also if you go back to some of the posts before me alot of them talk about his double bass. I love double bass, but that doesnt make someone a good drummer.

Ulrich87
06-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Lars was one of my original drumming inspirations, but that was waaaayyy before the St. Anger album. Once that CD came out, I just never looked at him the way I used to.

Same here! He was the ONLY reason I started playing. When I first heard AJ4A I said:
"I HAVE to try that!" ...So I did. I still think he is a great drummer though, just not as great as he used to be. Or as great as alot of other current drummers.

MetalThrasher442
06-12-2006, 06:00 PM
I like Lars. He's a pretty solid drummer and fit Metallica perfectly. He had a little unique style going for him in the 80's. I mean I would try to learn a song and be like "that's pretty cool. If I was writing that I probably wouldn't of added that type of fill." I mean he never did anything extremely hard or anything I couldn't do, but he was always a solid drummer. I checked out one of his solos on youtube and it wasn't all that great. I do think he is a little overrated. I always hear people saying he's really awesome, but he always struck me as an average metal drummer.

Cannons
06-12-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm not a big fan of Lars's playing--too much open hi hat and weird tom stuff for my taste--but I think he's best when he plays simply for the song--"Enter Sandman" is one example. Regarding his use of Gretsch drums, he admitted to as much in a Modern Drummer interview a while back. He said something like he loves Tama drums and has a great relationship with Tama, but prefers to record with a Gretsch kick drum now and then. In fact, there are a lot of drummers who don't record with the drums they endorse and play live. I suspect it has something to do with pressure from producers and engineers who can get the sounds they want from certain drum brands, Gretsch in particular. Let's face it, you can't see a bass drum logo on a record.

Oh, I also despise the snare sound on "St. Anger"--truly awful!

tambian89
06-12-2006, 09:29 PM
But you have to agree that you were pwned
:p

Uh....no. You have an odd obsession with "pwning"........

Anyway.....Let's talk about his drummin ing the "golden years". I really thought Lars' drumming on Kill 'Em All was not too bad, considering that he really hadn't been drumming too long. However, I noticed several times on the album that he both rushed and lagged on certain cymbal crashes that were meant to match the bass guitar("Whiplash"), and I wasn't too keen on his grooves.

Ride the Lightning saw a jump not only in Metallica's song structure and style, but aleap in Lars' drumming capabilities. His double bassing got faster and he became a better time keeper. My only complaint is the fills, which were not at the same level as the rest of Lars' drumming.

Master of Puppets revealed that Lars' drumming could match the aggressive style of the rest of the band. The drum fills were not bad, but didn't improve much from those he used on Ride the Lightning.

...And Justice for All, which marked then end of Metallica's years as a Thrash and Speed Metal group, had good, complex grooves, and grinding rhythm, but again the fills were sub-par. However, the opening groove for "Harvester of Sorrow" had a very interesting polyrhythm (yes, Lars' used a polyrhythm. He is playing 8th notes with his right hand and quarter notes with his left, while his feet play 16th notes in differentiating patterns).

- Marc

Ulrich87
06-13-2006, 03:30 AM
Uh....no. You have an odd obsession with "pwning"........

Anyway.....Let's talk about his drummin ing the "golden years". I really thought Lars' drumming on Kill 'Em All was not too bad, considering that he really hadn't been drumming too long. However, I noticed several times on the album that he both rushed and lagged on certain cymbal crashes that were meant to match the bass guitar("Whiplash"), and I wasn't too keen on his grooves.

Ride the Lightning saw a jump not only in Metallica's song structure and style, but a leap in Lars' drumming capabilities. His double bassing got faster and he became a better time keeper. My only complaint is the fills, which were not at the same level as the rest of Lars' drumming.

Master of Puppets revealed that Lars' drumming could match the aggressive style of the rest of the band. The drum fills were not bad, but didn't improve much from those he used on Ride the Lightning.

...And Justice for All, which marked then end of Metallica's years as a Thrash and Speed Metal group, had good, complex grooves, and grinding rhythm, but again the fills were sub-par. However, the opening groove for "Harvester of Sorrow" had a very interesting polyrhythm (yes, Lars' used a polyrhythm. He is playing 8th notes with his right hand and quarter notes with his left, while his feet play 16th notes in differentiating patterns).

- Marc

If there were a reputation system on this forum I would give you a massive boost right now!
I totally agree with you. Exept on Ride the lightning: 'fight fire with fire' has some great fills!
But you really should see past Metallica and just listen to the music they made after the Black album.. Just listen to the music and don't care about it beeing Metallica. He actually has some good "moves" (brakes\fills) on Load aswell:)

NDNDrummer
06-15-2006, 03:16 AM
The chorus (double bass) of fuel go me in to drumming!

chadrules
06-15-2006, 10:39 PM
ive only just joined the forum and i have to say that i think lars is a monster. i recently saw him at the download festival at donington park and i was blown away by how good he still is. i really did think he had lost his abilities as a drummer when i listened to st anger and s&m, but his performance convinced me otherwise. metallica played every song off master of puppets, and lars was spot on for every song. i particularly enjoyed his drumming on songs like disposable heroes and battery, songs that when played live show he can still play well. the machine gun double bass section in one is still one of my favourite dum moments on any record ever, and lars will always be recognised as a fantastic drummer. thats all i really wanted to say about him
:)

syaoran05
06-25-2006, 01:39 PM
i think the ride issue has stopped now?

i think no one should criticize lars for rarely playing the ride. its not his fault he doesnt. metallica music does not require much riding anyway. just like franz ferdinand doesnt need a ride.

and i think what's good about lars [and perhaps the only good thing] is that he plays what is needed, and does not play what is not needed. hence if ride no need then no ride it is. and i think that's one of the better lessons in music. dont overplay.

BrynnerAgassi
06-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Lars is a good rock drummer. I think the double bass speed may have decreased but nothing wrong with that. He was a great influence on me in the day, but i can honestly say listening to his playing in some of the Metallica songs, he does fills in the weirds spots on the song, but thats what makes the song, and makes him who he is... All in all he is good and he is the one and only Lars!

syaoran05
07-01-2006, 01:34 PM
If he uses the ride on those songs, ok, but he uses it too sparingly, and most of his drumming is crash and hihats.

i think the ride issue has stopped now?

i think no one should criticize lars for rarely playing the ride. its not his fault he doesnt. metallica music does not require much riding anyway. just like franz ferdinand doesnt need a ride.

and i think what's good about lars [and perhaps the only good thing] is that he plays what is needed, and does not play what is not needed. hence if ride no need then no ride it is. and i think that's one of the better lessons in music. dont overplay.

there isnt anything wrong if someone doesnt use a ride. "too sparingly" in drumming doesnt exist. tambian89 let's see you play every cymbal on bozzios kit and make sure that each cymbal isnt played "too sparingly". a ride isnt required to be played. like i said, franz ferdinand doesnt need one so they dont use one. look back at the very old jazz days. they dont even use the ride for timekeeping yet. its all bass and snare then an occasional crash. hi hats weren't even invented yet. now let's see you travel back through time and say "they use the ride too sparingly and its all bass and snare, and they dont even own hi hats!".

so yeah again, lars plays what is needed, and he doesnt play what isnt needed, or what he cant.

DrumGod
07-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Ok maybe lars isnt the greatest drummer ever but the fact is......when a band are looking for a record deal it doesnt go on how good the drummer is or guitarist or bassist or singer....it goes on the quality of songs they write together and the quality of them playing together. rush, dream theatre and zeplan didnt get a deal because of their drummers talent its a group thing. Lars plays wat fits the song and that works with the band and that is perfectly fine.Look at so many drummers in bands with deals some really arent fantastic players but tey suit the band.

Also lars was a huge inspiration to start playing to countless people so i think that may get him off the hook for nont playng as good as e used to imo

figure_02
07-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Ok maybe lars isnt the greatest drummer ever but the fact is......when a band are looking for a record deal it doesnt go on how good the drummer is or guitarist or bassist or singer....it goes on the quality of songs they write together and the quality of them playing together. rush, dream theatre and zeplan didnt get a deal because of their drummers talent its a group thing. Lars plays wat fits the song and that works with the band and that is perfectly fine.Look at so many drummers in bands with deals some really arent fantastic players but tey suit the band.

Also lars was a huge inspiration to start playing to countless people so i think that may get him off the hook for nont playng as good as e used to imo

Maybe...but then again, I belive a group of skilled musicians will make better quality songs...

Audun_D
07-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Maybe...but then again, I belive a group of skilled musicians will make better quality songs...

I agree with figure...

mikei
07-03-2006, 08:04 AM
I agree with figure...

I disagree. Maybe better songs for musicians.

Most popular groups filled with average musicians and not super musicians. Super musicians usually focus way too much on playing to impress. This is not always true, but certainly most of the time. Super musicians make a living by making music that impresses other musicians not the main stream audience.

syaoran05
07-10-2006, 11:43 AM

i agree and disagree...

i agree that it takes skilled musicians to make good quality songs..

i disagree that you have to be super skilled to do better quality songs..

i agree with mikei

Most popular groups filled with average musicians and not super musicians. Super musicians make a living by making music that impresses other musicians not the main stream audience.

i can prove that.

try to list down all the good bands whom their drummer isnt anyone who has an artists page on this site.

it'll prolly take up lots of paper just to list that down.

what does that prove?

you dont need a super skilled drummer to create great music.

yeah maybe you can get a better drummer, but if he cant play what the band needs, then its useless.

yeah maybe you can get a better drummer, but what if all you need is a straight 8 rock beat kick on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4? would it make any difference?

the point is, lars isnt a good drummer technically. as a drummer alone, he's nothing next to a professional session drummer.

BUT

he plays what is needed, and only what is needed. Metallica doesnt need all that fancy drum stuff. he doesnt overplay. besides, would it help if he played a samba pattern in a Metallica song? hell no.

lars plays what is needed and he delivers. that's the most important thing.

besides, if you get a record deal, that means youre skilled enough to do your stuff. i didnt say a good drummer, i just said skilled enough to deliver what is needed.

neilpscuz
07-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Personally I like the older stuff,MOP, is a great album,but over on the TAMA forum he gets bashed pretty well. One guy has "Lars is just mad his snare sounds like a metal chair" as his signature !

Darren675
09-26-2006, 04:04 PM
he was ok in earlier days, his drumming on saniturium is real good but the st. anger album is a disgrace

graham2493
10-09-2006, 06:03 AM
he was ok in earlier days, his drumming on saniturium is real good but the st. anger album is a disgrace

St Anger is an offence committed by the entire band... Having said that I heard a rumour that Tama were most disappointed by the drum sound on that piece of utter rubbish.

To me, I think he has lost much of his passion for playing. His strength IMHO has always been in the arranging of songs, making them quirky/interesting without sounding proggy. Similar to how Paul Bostaph affected Slayer.

dawg
10-09-2006, 06:33 AM
the drums also sound HORRID in the "some kind of monster" video.fascinating movie from the soap opera type goings on with the band.but it seemed to me that lars might have lost some confidence in his ability. the scene where the old bass player for metallica put together a band and lars went to see him,that drummer was pretty polished. perhaps they are just running out of ideas for their songs.

graham2493
10-09-2006, 06:44 AM
the drums also sound HORRID in the "some kind of monster" video.fascinating movie from the soap opera type goings on with the band.but it seemed to me that lars might have lost some confidence in his ability. the scene where the old bass player for metallica put together a band and lars went to see him,that drummer was pretty polished. perhaps they are just running out of ideas for their songs.

I think the same! They've been going how many years now? I think I can forgive them for getting a little writer's block after all this time.

Didn't they do St Anger by just cutting/pasting loads of riffs they'd jammed out in ProTools?

CVdrummer
10-09-2006, 07:59 AM
i don't find nothing special about lars drumming. pretty straight forward stuff...just at random times. i also heard that some of his double bass on recordings..are really him hittin a electronic kit bass drum wit drum sticks..is that true?

dawg
10-09-2006, 06:47 PM
don't know about how they record,but my nephew was a HUGE metallica fan (who also plays some bass) and has seen them numerous times and has said lars can be really sloppy sometimes live.maybe it's too much beer.

II xMETALx II
10-10-2006, 08:21 AM

I agree with you on the ego side of things.

But the way you acuse him for a live performance is a little over the top. Can you please give me some examples....?

stevyc
10-10-2006, 04:12 PM
i dont mind him.. imo his stuff is easy to play so for me playing his stuff is actually really fun

II xMETALx II
10-11-2006, 03:01 AM
i dont mind him.. imo his stuff is easy to play so for me playing his stuff is actually really fun

Thats how i feel, his stuff is just so easy to play. I feel like im doing something wrong. I guess he is just solid and plays for the music.

I do prefur playing his older stuff with metallica like puppets, creeping death ect..

I can relate to what your saying though i used to play a lot of metallica when i started.

MetalToDeath
02-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Lars will always be in my list. He is so simple its not even funny. Like on One, or Call of Kutulu, its simple, but it just sounds hard. Also, he's just a rock solid drummer, and really puts power into what he does. Keep it.

DWfan20005
03-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Before you people eat me alive let me just say that he has greet foot work and his amazing at accents. With that out of the way, the only reason he has so much credit in the world of drums or rock n roll is because he's in the biggest metal ever to come out of the U.S.A,Metallica. Him and Tommy Lee of Motley Crue deserve each other because they both lack creativity and rely a bit to much on that double pedal but whatever. Now if you people don't mind, and you probably don't, I'm gonna go to my local Home Depot and buy the Lars Ulrich snare drum they have in stock,the trash can. Old Metallica,I miss you.

Freeway-Drummer
03-13-2007, 01:41 PM
mhm when I started playing drums I used to play like Lars Ulrich because I did not know much about other drummers. But after a while I recognized that there are better drummers like Jason Bittner or Chris Adler...He's just one of the popular drummers of the world.
But his setup is great.

II xMETALx II
03-30-2007, 05:32 AM
I think he really lacks creativity. Yeah he is solid, but that is because he practically plays the same standard beat for every song adding a new snare fill every now and then. It just gets boring.

I dont know about the person who said he rely's on double kicks, he rarely does them at all. And when he does, they are usually turned right down, as aposed to many other metal bands.

He is solid, but nothing special

spyder
04-04-2007, 05:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avgd-i9QGU

don't really have to say much..just watch his solo. He sucks compaired to sucessful metal drummers, I mean dam! he doesn't even know how to setup his kit correctly lol

KWDEMON
04-04-2007, 10:41 PM
He plays that as a solo because it allows him and James to have there competition. James hasn't actively played drums in 20 years by then. So he is playing down. Plus the part where James isn't playing he is just playing samples of songs for the fans.

Seriously just because he said pirating is wrong dosen't make him a douche, he is right. With that said i have never purchased any of there cd's only downloaded them but i still agree with him.

ross--
04-04-2007, 11:48 PM
I am a big fan of Lars and he has inspired me from the beginning however I think that most people don't realize that it was Bob Rock that started Metallica's downfall. He produced the black album through St. Anger and basically took them from a band that loved jamming out thrash to a band that does whatever Bob Rock thinks sounds the best. Am I saying that I don't like the black album? No, I love it but I can see how that album would have made Metallica think that they are weaker without a producer named Bob to tell them what to play.

franklinj
04-05-2007, 05:04 AM
I know many bash Lars because "hes not as good as x drummer", but he really DID play for the song. Master of Puppets, Sanitarium, ONE, and Justice for all... all great, great songs that might not be as great if they were too overly complex. His parts were straightforward, but so was the music he played to. it was meant to be in your face.

Im disappointed with his newer stuff though. His drums sound SOO good in the older recordings but SOOOO bad in the newer ones. Old Metallica, where art thou?

Mapex589
04-05-2007, 05:19 AM
Im disappointed with his newer stuff though. His drums sound SOO good in the older recordings but SOOOO bad in the newer ones. Old Metallica, where art thou?

I agree...hopefully Rick Rubin will change that on the new record. I truely do not have much hope for the new album but hopefully it will be worth listening to. I do think Lars jams overall.... the early stuff is awesome.

franklinj
04-05-2007, 05:43 AM
I agree...hopefully Rick Rubin will change that on the new record. I truely do not have much hope for the new album but hopefully it will be worth listening to. I do think Lars jams overall.... the early stuff is awesome.

For real. ...And Justice for All/ Master of Puppets have been on constant repeat on my mp3 player for the past week. One may be one of the best songs ever...its got everything to it. I love it.

Tubs player
04-06-2007, 03:18 AM
i look up to Lars, but i just think he is a little overrated

drumminbro23
04-06-2007, 12:53 PM
lars.... he is an ok drummer. when compared to the rest of the band members he is a little less talented but its all good. anyone heard anything off the new album yet ? hopfully it wont suck. Iv heard its suposed to sound like the 80's stuff. but im tryin not to get my hopes up

Ironcobra
04-06-2007, 05:12 PM
lars doesn't have EXTREME skill like portnoy, but he can really lay down a heavy metal beat that will really get your head moving

theres nothing more entertaining than a live MASTER OF PUPPETS show in the 80's

ahhhh i wish i could be there

KWDEMON
04-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Have non of you herd New Song or Other New Song yet. They respectively match ... And Justice for All and Kill ' EM All. In both complexity , speed and length of song. Very thrash metal, not the polished pro-tools stuff of the last decade.

AnthonyB
04-14-2007, 12:47 AM
From what i've heard of his playing, I think he's rather over-rated. I mean, come on, the drums on enter sandman are pathetic. I thought Phil Rudd was a guest drummer on that track :D.

tooldrums1000
04-16-2007, 03:01 AM
He is over rated. His drumming is just so simple.

spyder
04-16-2007, 03:50 AM
can't agree more with the last few comments. Simple isn't necessarily bad, but he plays the same thing in every song!!

KWDEMON
04-20-2007, 12:26 AM
You .... you mean Lars keeps the beat he dosen't play for personal glory he wants the song to be complete. Most of the time he uses his double bass pedals to help keep time for James often extremely awkward rhythm guitar parts or kirks timing changes on the bride. He plays for the song he isn't like new metal drummers that just hammer on the drums so fast and have so many beats that they can't possible be out of time. James put it best " I'm used to the drummer keeping the beat" with that said the only people who are better or as good in my book are Nick Menza , Dave Lombard , Ian Paice , John Bonham.

BrynnerAgassi
08-31-2007, 02:12 AM
You know, honestly I can say Lars was a big insperation to me growing up. Metallica's music I love, and will continue to support them, even though I may not like everything they have put out over the recent years... But back to Lars...
Lars is good for the music they put out... All the songs Metallica put out, along with Lars drumming really go hand in hand together...
Anyone who thinks Metallica is more than a hardcore rock band, that actually has good music, melodies, is wrong.... The are a great band, great music, and all the drum, bass, guitar parts are fit together... I dont think if Lars played anything more than what he did that it would sound better...
ALTHOUGH, the one thing with Lars is that I never liked the fact he took so many fills, and did them in the weirdest parts in the song.
If you listen to the S&M album, you will see what I mean...
His drum sound, you can spot a mile away, which is cool because every drummer is looking for that signature sound.

On the black album, I saw a video on youtube, they interviewed Bob Rock and Lars regarding his drumming and sound from the album. And well believe it or not it was all cut and paste... Meaning Lars would play, play, and play, then they took the best parts and edited in a way that just sounded like it did...
Its really no surprise because now that I do session work, a lot of producers do that. At first I was a little taken back because as a drummer, personally, I feel it should just be a solid performance behind the kit and just use that take, but not cut, paste, loop, and do it all over again... But it happens, alot more than before.

anyways,
Lars still rules!

Eye of the Beholder
09-08-2007, 03:52 PM
lars is a good drummer. maybe he's not too great when it comes to technique but he certainly gets the song going and he even shows off occasionally. buy anyway, did anybody notice the mistake in Dyers eve? that was funny

DrumGod
09-08-2007, 05:58 PM
lars is a good drummer. maybe he's not too great when it comes to technique but he certainly gets the song going and he even shows off occasionally. buy anyway, did anybody notice the mistake in Dyers eve? that was funny

Is the mistake when he is usually playing 16ths on tthe kick at that part in the verse/chorus (whichever it is) and the re is no kickdrum then it just starts like he forgot to do it????

Terra
09-11-2007, 04:37 PM
I think Lars is a pretty good drummer in my opinion. I really liked his drumming on .....And Justice for All and Black. It was funny watching him get mad on the Some Kind of Monster DVD when they threw a surprise birthday party for Kirk but never one for Lars.

And yes, Lars plays on Tama, where did you hear he played Gretsch? Never heard that one before.

He played a Gretsch kit for the recording of the Black album if I remember correctly.

Terra
09-11-2007, 04:43 PM
He played a Gretsch kit for the recording of the Black album if I remember correctly.

I also have to say that he was on of my first drum heros (along with Phil Collins and Nicko McBrain....what a mix!!) and Justice has incredible drums on it....for me, easily his best performance on record.....I also may be one of the few that actually likes the production on that record....it fits the mood I think.

Pinner
09-12-2007, 04:57 AM
Lars has come a long way with his drumming. I have some practice tapes from the 80's of them and he really was sloppy and they had to speed up the drum track to make him sound faster in the mix. As for his personality, well not everyone gets along, that's life.
Pinner

Terra
09-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Is the mistake when he is usually playing 16ths on tthe kick at that part in the verse/chorus (whichever it is) and the re is no kickdrum then it just starts like he forgot to do it????

I have never picked out a mistake on Dyers Eve.

Eye of the Beholder
09-26-2007, 07:53 AM

yeah that part. he actually starts with wrong pattern then he corrects himself.

mitchjames50
09-26-2007, 11:34 AM
lars is not a 'monster' player like the Mike Portnoys and Terry Bozzios of the world BUT he is still a good drummer.
yes he doesnt play the most complicated grooves or fills but he serves the song and i think he and metallica go hand in hand. i cant think of someone to replace him.
i saw a video of metallica with joey jourdison from slipknot filling in and it just didnt sound right, not at all!

DrumGod
09-26-2007, 11:41 AM
yeah that part. he actually starts with wrong pattern then he corrects himself.

Hahaha i knew it was a mistake hahaha

zappafan
10-07-2007, 02:45 PM
I've perused the responses here and some I agree with, some not....go figure. :)

Nutha - if Metallica has been scrabbling for success since the Black Album, as you put it, I think we all wish we could be doin' that scrabblin' what with selling out stadiums in minutes and selling zillions of albums. I don't understand that comment.

For others who say his playing has diminished, in your opinions it has. I am a fan of all albums up to and including the Black Album. The rest to me aren't very good. Ride the Lightning is far and away the best album imo.

From a technical standpoint, I don't know either way how he is as I am not that good of a drummer to say he isn't technical. Many people here on this forum are technique crazy to the point where it is tiring to hear over and over again. In helping amateurs such as myself, the info is great.i.e. stick grip, hand positioning etc.

It seems funny to point out these flaws (seemingly especially to Ulrich) to a dude who is in such a popular band. I understand there is some jealousy among many members who feel they are far superior to him in drumming skills. Just go with it dudes. He's a rock star and you (and me ain't). He's a zillionaire and we aren't. He plays stadiums, we don't. Not that he needs me to defend him, 'cause I'm sure he couldn't care less about this forum, but lighten up.

If they "sold out" with the Black Album, that's their business (and quite a succesful business it is). There seems to be a problem when musicians make money. Why is that?? Does everyone here work for free??

In closing, I'd like to say that I enjoy his drumming and if I get to the point where I can criticize any major star's technique or ability (and actually be serious about it), I'd better put down the sticks and play euchre.

My .02.

Cheers.

Jon Cable
10-10-2007, 03:24 PM
I've perused the responses here and some I agree with, some not....go figure. :)

Nutha - if Metallica has been scrabbling for success since the Black Album, as you put it, I think we all wish we could be doin' that scrabblin' what with selling out stadiums in minutes and selling zillions of albums. I don't understand that comment.

For others who say his playing has diminished, in your opinions it has. I am a fan of all albums up to and including the Black Album. The rest to me aren't very good. Ride the Lightning is far and away the best album imo.

From a technical standpoint, I don't know either way how he is as I am not that good of a drummer to say he isn't technical. Many people here on this forum are technique crazy to the point where it is tiring to hear over and over again. In helping amateurs such as myself, the info is great.i.e. stick grip, hand positioning etc.

It seems funny to point out these flaws (seemingly especially to Ulrich) to a dude who is in such a popular band. I understand there is some jealousy among many members who feel they are far superior to him in drumming skills. Just go with it dudes. He's a rock star and you (and me ain't). He's a zillionaire and we aren't. He plays stadiums, we don't. Not that he needs me to defend him, 'cause I'm sure he couldn't care less about this forum, but lighten up.

If they "sold out" with the Black Album, that's their business (and quite a succesful business it is). There seems to be a problem when musicians make money. Why is that?? Does everyone here work for free??

In closing, I'd like to say that I enjoy his drumming and if I get to the point where I can criticize any major star's technique or ability (and actually be serious about it), I'd better put down the sticks and play euchre.

My .02.

Cheers.
Diplomatic as ever ZF!! I like Lars; hes passionate and, as previously stated, what he does is ideal for Metallica. Is he the best technical drummer on the planet? Possibly not, but he's made a lotta ppl happy with his work and thats gotta count for something.

Cryptic Sound
10-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Lars was getting better and better as time went on...reaching his best with And Justice For All...but then he hit The Black Album and he's one of the most typical sounding drummers in the world.

To his credit he must still have a tallent for writing songs since he gets writing credit on every Metallica song.

That Guy
10-11-2007, 07:49 PM

Hey ZF. The thing I don't get is... how can people say Metallica are "selling out" when they are not members of Metallica? See my point? Metallica plays what Metallica wants to play. How is that selling out? Those are pretty immature and uneducated opinons on the part of those making the comments.

Honketonk
10-23-2007, 10:18 AM
"selling out" is quick said, some people say Metallica are selling out, Trivium are selling out, they are selling out and they are selling out too ... As for myself, I don´t give a damn, at least the music kicks.

Don´t get me wrong, I kinda understand people when they´re upset about this selling out thing ... Their favorite Thrash band goes in a more commercial way to earn some money, nothings wrong bout that. Look at Machine Head for example, began with that killer album Burn my Eyes, and after The More Things Change they tried to earn some money, by trying playing their music with a more commercial touch and a radio single ... and they failed, big time. With Through the Ashes of Empires they had an awesome thrash "comeback" and with their new album The Blackening, they´re having their biggest succsess on EVERYTHING, record sales, sold out major tours, including supporting Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc. ... and they´re not selling out, cause this record is their heaviest in their career.

I hope you guys will know what I´m trying to tell you here ... ;-)

Rich
11-02-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm not gonna judge too much - I'm too much of a novice... but I have to say that whatever Metallica drank when they wrote St Anger.. I want some

And what is he hitting instead of a snare??

Rich

Honketonk
11-02-2007, 10:14 PM
The Snare discussion is getting waaaaaaaaaaay too old now ... ;-)

metal overlord
11-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Lars was my inspiration to drum, to have a Tama kit, a to have a double bass. If it wasn't for him, I'de still be playing AC/DC on my cheap 5 piece Royce

metal overlord
11-03-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm not gonna judge too much - I'm too much of a novice... but I have to say that whatever Metallica drank when they wrote St Anger.. I want some

And what is he hitting instead of a snare??

Rich

Its a snare dru, its turned off. (the switch on the side)

Matt-a-tat-tat
03-28-2008, 09:24 PM
i have a buddy who was the tour manager for the go-gos. they were in the studio and apparently metallica was too. they got to talking to the engineer. he said that lars' parts (this was back in the 90s) were all spliced up . . . they had to really splice up the tape to make the parts good. and not just spliced a little bit. A LOT!
i'm not in the habit of bashing drummers but . . . i really can't stand his playing and he seems to be an angry little man. i saw that dvd for st. anger and he was sloppy and he looked like he was having a real hard time with the songs. when i was a kid everybody went nuts for that double bass part in the song 'one.' i've heard lars try it live -- he couldn't get it. ah, the magic of the studio.
he's a drummer. and he's been successful at it. but it blows my mind when i hear people say he's one of the greats when there are guys like Peter Wildoer (Darkane) around.

B.C.
03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Alright. Lars. Hate him. he reminds me of the drummer who dosen't care about rudiments TECHNIQUE, or staying in the pocket. Lars is horrible. I watched alot of Metallica live and he struggles to hold some sort of tempo. Lars is just one of those drummers that just bangs on drums and dosen't play on them. Lars plays the same old beat, the same old fill and he's about as amusing as watching paint dry. Lars rides on the coat tails of metallica and James Hetfield. in the end lars is one of those drummers undeserving of his title of being a good drummer. Just because he's in a successfull band dosen't make him good.

Ironcobra
03-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Alright. Lars. Hate him. he reminds me of the drummer who dosen't care about rudiments TECHNIQUE, or staying in the pocket. Lars is horrible. I watched alot of Metallica live and he struggles to hold some sort of tempo. Lars is just one of those drummers that just bangs on drums and dosen't play on them. Lars plays the same old beat, the same old fill and he's about as amusing as watching paint dry. Lars rides on the coat tails of metallica and James Hetfield. in the end lars is one of those drummers undeserving of his title of being a good drummer. Just because he's in a successfull band dosen't make him good.

Lars is a drummer that has one hell of a good time on stage, thats what drumming is about. Sure he won't win a rudiment award, but that, in no way at all, makes him a bad drummer.

Vic_Rattledeth
03-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Lars inspired me to start drumming. I give him that. But after a mere year and a half of playing I started to realize he wasn't very good. I would say he reached his best at And justice For all, he actually had a few interestin drum parts, and even a polyrhythm. Nowadays though he's....just a shadow of what he once was, and what he was still wasnt anything amazing.

metal overlord
03-29-2008, 01:14 AM
So what makes the drummer now is how good you are? I always thought it was "if you suck at drumming, but your having a good time, your good". At least it was in my mind.

So what if Lars isn't the best? He still does what he's supposed to. He keeps time, he keeps the music going. Sure theres people who are better, but he has a hella lot of stage presence. Metallica isn't Metallica without Lars.

And, another thing. To anybody who bashed him.

Do you know how childish it is to bash a fellow drummer? You don't just walk up to a guy who is having a hard time doing simple stuff and say "you suck" you say "keep trying, you'll get it". It's like jazz drummers bashing metal drummers, it's stupid. We're all drummers, we all have differant styles and techniques. It doesn't matter what kind of kit you play, or how fast you can go on your bass drums. It's about having a good time. Having fun. That's what music was supposed to be about.

I'de put more to back up my statement, but I can't exactly think straight right now.

metal overlord
03-29-2008, 01:20 AM

And what? You think your better? Are you in a band that's been around since the 80's and still is very popular?
Do you sell out on every show, every night? Do you still get people going when they listen to your music?
Are you endorsed? Do you have a signature snare drum & kit? Do thousands of drummers look up to you?

bacca
03-29-2008, 01:41 AM
For me personally i loved the drumming on "and justice for all" this
album and the production/playing of eveyone on that album really inspired me at that time in my life-i still play that album to this day....

PQleyR
03-29-2008, 01:51 AM
i have a buddy who was the tour manager for the go-gos. they were in the studio and apparently metallica was too. they got to talking to the engineer. he said that lars' parts (this was back in the 90s) were all spliced up . . . they had to really splice up the tape to make the parts good. and not just spliced a little bit. A LOT!

Bob Rock says on the Classic Albums DVD of the black album that they did ALL the fills seperately from the rest of the drum parts. He also says they had to change the heads after every 5 takes or so, because Lars destroyed them after that long. Then he compares him to John Bonham or Keith Moon. Strange man.

Tamascb10
03-29-2008, 04:21 AM
And what? You think your better? Are you in a band that's been around since the 80's and still is very popular?
Do you sell out on every show, every night? Do you still get people going when they listen to your music?
Are you endorsed? Do you have a signature snare drum & kit? Do thousands of drummers look up to you?

oh! ohohohoh!! can you say OWNED??? Nice one Mike!

Vic_Rattledeth
03-30-2008, 10:43 PM
So what makes the drummer now is how good you are? I always thought it was "if you suck at drumming, but your having a good time, your good". At least it was in my mind.

So what if Lars isn't the best? He still does what he's supposed to. He keeps time, he keeps the music going. Sure theres people who are better, but he has a hella lot of stage presence. Metallica isn't Metallica without Lars.

And, another thing. To anybody who bashed him.

Do you know how childish it is to bash a fellow drummer? You don't just walk up to a guy who is having a hard time doing simple stuff and say "you suck" you say "keep trying, you'll get it". It's like jazz drummers bashing metal drummers, it's stupid. We're all drummers, we all have differant styles and techniques. It doesn't matter what kind of kit you play, or how fast you can go on your bass drums. It's about having a good time. Having fun. That's what music was supposed to be about.

I'de put more to back up my statement, but I can't exactly think straight right now.
Lars keeps the music going, okay, that's fine. I'm glad he has fun too. But when we talk about his actual level of talent and musicality it doesnt go very far. He's just not very good, it's very simple. He can't keep up with most metal drummers today, and that's his forte. He can't play any other style of music either. He's just very one dimensional. That's why i'm not a big fan of him

Citizen Insane
04-17-2008, 01:57 AM
I remember when I was 9/10 years old, I was OBSESSED with Metallica, I thought that Lars was the absolute best drummer in the world. Everything he played was complex and near-impossible. I thought that And Justice for All was the pinnacle of technicality in music, but than I turned 12......

Tom Sawyer
04-17-2008, 03:12 AM
I remember when I was 9/10 years old, I was OBSESSED with Metallica, I thought that Lars was the absolute best drummer in the world. Everything he played was complex and near-impossible. I thought that And Justice for All was the pinnacle of technicality in music, but than I turned 12......

...and you discovered Porcupine Tree, or what.

Citizen Insane
04-17-2008, 03:19 AM
...and you discovered Porcupine Tree, or what.

No, that happened when I was 13 =). I started playing drums when I turned 12 and I realized that most of the drumming Lars does is very one-dimensional,and boring. He still is one of the reasons I started playing drums, but I think I outgrew him. He doesn't impress me anymore.

franklinj
04-17-2008, 04:39 AM
I think its funny how people always mock Lars because hes not technically the best drummers out there. However, he played on some of the best, if not the best metal ever made. Thats what really counts. His drumming is not supposed to be complex- its supposed to follow James riffs and give the song that extra drive. He plays with the music and fits Metallica perfectly.

Tom Sawyer
04-17-2008, 04:52 AM
I think its funny how people always mock Lars because hes not technically the best drummers out there. However, he played on some of the best, if not the best metal ever made. Thats what really counts. His drumming is not supposed to be complex- its supposed to follow James riffs and give the song that extra drive. He plays with the music and fits Metallica perfectly.

'nuff said.................

Ironcobra
04-17-2008, 05:08 AM
I would rather have fun on stage like Lars, than to be a boring basement drummer who is better at technical playing. It's also hard to judge his skill because there isn't much content of him soloing, I've only seen 2 or 3 clips. If I were to base his skill purely on how well it goes with the music, I would think hes an amazing drummer, sure argue the point, but having inspired thousands of people to start playing drums, that obviously says something about him and Metallica. Theres no point in arguing back and fourth, he isn't one of the most technical drummers, but he sure is one of the greatest.

***and don't bring up that same old solo from 1992 on the white Tama, he was obviously drunk, nobody can go an entire solo only playing single strokes.

metal overlord
05-05-2008, 02:31 AM

My point exactly...although it never came out right.

I 100% totally agree with you. That's exactly what makes Lars good.

Vic_Rattledeth
05-26-2008, 11:33 PM
I would rather have fun on stage like Lars, than to be a boring basement drummer who is better at technical playing. It's also hard to judge his skill because there isn't much content of him soloing, I've only seen 2 or 3 clips. If I were to base his skill purely on how well it goes with the music, I would think hes an amazing drummer, sure argue the point, but having inspired thousands of people to start playing drums, that obviously says something about him and Metallica. Theres no point in arguing back and fourth, he isn't one of the most technical drummers, but he sure is one of the greatest.

***and don't bring up that same old solo from 1992 on the white Tama, he was obviously drunk, nobody can go an entire solo only playing single strokes.

Since when is being a technical drummer boring? You can groove like a mofo and be technical at the same time. Look at Steve Gadd. I would argue that it's BORING to play Larses stuff and not very fun at all. A three year old could bash on some cans and have fun, but that doesn't make the three year old a superb drummer. Lars having fun while he plays his one dimensional drums doesn't make him a great drummer either. And i've seen multiple drum solos of lars, he plays practically the same solo everytime. Triplet snare kick pedal snare tom patterns with random 16th note single thrown in, then he'll go into the "one double bass pattern. Not impressive at all

Zoofie
05-31-2008, 02:14 AM
Hey guys , i know you can't mimic this guys sound exactly. But how would you tune toms to sound like his? Is it batter head very low or what?
Thanks alot.

kwolf68
07-10-2008, 02:22 AM
I am unique in that...

I LOVE Lars Ulrich and I LOVE Metallica

while at the same time

I HATE Lars Ulrich and I HATE Metallica

Since the 'black album' that band has been a total joke. They have not improved as writers or musicians and seemingly run out of ideas a long time ago.

For people who say Lars was not a good drummer, I do scoff at that. Go listen to his playing on "Ride the Lightening" (and the subsequent tour where I happened to catch a gig) and then go listen to his playing on "...And Justice For All" (and that subsequent tour where I happened to catch multiple gigs).

In short, kid improved by leaps and bounds. That's what a "good drummer' does, he gets better, he maximizes his talent. Lars propelled such complicated songs like Blackened, The Shortest Straw with technical proficiency.

He may not 'be better' than (fill in drum god of your choice), but to say he was not a good drummer is just absurd. Lars WAS a good drummer and WAS becomming a VERY GOOD or dare I say great drummer, not just because of what he could do behind the kit, but because of his ability to create unique drumming within the later Metallica albums (before the Load stuff).

That ALL SAID, Lars is now a bum to me. His playing has not gotten any better and in fact has gotten worse. They have used studio tricks and weird production techniques to deliver what I consider bad heavy metal. Metallica were either doing cover albums, alternative albums, or just bad albums since the Load days. It has affected them as musicians and esepically Lars who now sounds WORSE as a dummer than he did on Metallica's infamous "No Life Til Leather" Demo. It's a sad SAD commentary for someone like me (and others) who championed Metallica back in the day and celebrated in glee when they got the spot on Ozzy's tour in 1986 thinking "our way of life has made it to the arenas".

I weep for lost glory, Lars and metallica...trend setters, pioneers, metal gods, brilliant band they were are now a pathetic joke.

Ironcobra
07-10-2008, 02:38 AM

You said it, this sums up everything. No one can argue with this as it's the perfect solution to any 'Lars' debate.

m1ck
07-10-2008, 07:03 AM
I am unique in that...

I LOVE Lars Ulrich and I LOVE Metallica

while at the same time

I HATE Lars Ulrich and I HATE Metallica

Since the 'black album' that band has been a total joke. ...

Whoah, that's some brutal honesty. I can relate. I am a fan of EARLY Metallica, by which I mean the first three albums. And Lars drove that stuff like a locomotive. It doesn't seem so hard by today's standards, but they rocked the world back in the 80's. I still like it.

I guess I like Lars because I like the band Metallica was. My bass player is a total Metallica fan/worshipper to the very bone, and we (ahem) converse about this from time to time. They do deserve respect for their longevity, but... I dunno. They went in a direction that I couldn't relate to. A lot of their latter stuff, to be honest, I haven't even listened to. I saw them on their Master of Puppets tour, opening for Ozzy Osbourne. They raised hell like a metal band should. That's the band I know and love as Metallica. (Before James started taking himself seriously as a singer...)

As to Lars' technical ability: He's better than me, so I can't throw stones. Like someone said above, he's a drummer, so he's a brother. He's one of us. Why grind him down? Has he ever stood up and said he's the greatest in the world? Or was he just the right fit for a band that went global? A powerhouse of a rock drummer for a pioneering metal band? If I ever achieve a tenth of what he has as a professional, I'll be on top of the world.

I've been bored to death by some excellent technique, in my time. Music, especially metal, is far more than navel-gazing showmanship. If it don't yank you to the front by the balls, it ain't working, regardless of the skill involved. At an early Metallica concert, not even the DEAD could stand still. And I think Lars had something to do with that.

Enough snobbery. Kill 'em all!

kwolf68
07-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Whoah, that's some brutal honesty. I can relate. I am a fan of EARLY Metallica, by which I mean the first three albums. And Lars drove that stuff like a locomotive. It doesn't seem so hard by today's standards, but they rocked the world back in the 80's. I still like it.

I guess I like Lars because I like the band Metallica was. My bass player is a total Metallica fan/worshipper to the very bone, and we (ahem) converse about this from time to time. They do deserve respect for their longevity, but... I dunno. They went in a direction that I couldn't relate to. A lot of their latter stuff, to be honest, I haven't even listened to. I saw them on their Master of Puppets tour, opening for Ozzy Osbourne. They raised hell like a metal band should. That's the band I know and love as Metallica. (Before James started taking himself seriously as a singer...)

As to Lars' technical ability: He's better than me, so I can't throw stones. Like someone said above, he's a drummer, so he's a brother. He's one of us. Why grind him down? Has he ever stood up and said he's the greatest in the world? Or was he just the right fit for a band that went global? A powerhouse of a rock drummer for a pioneering metal band? If I ever achieve a tenth of what he has as a professional, I'll be on top of the world.

I've been bored to death by some excellent technique, in my time. Music, especially metal, is far more than navel-gazing showmanship. If it don't yank you to the front by the balls, it ain't working, regardless of the skill involved. At an early Metallica concert, not even the DEAD could stand still. And I think Lars had something to do with that.

Enough snobbery. Kill 'em all!

Good response dude and I agree with so much of it. Like I said, I still believe Lars was a fine drummer, because you could see him improve.

Lars did grow as a player. And people in here CAN NOT deny that, no matter how much they don't like Lars. That's all we should be about as drummers...are you getting better?

I didn't listen to ...And Justice For All and think, 'we damn, Lars still isn't as good as Neal Peart', I listened and said, "Damn, that boy is coming up with some cool drumming, he's really getting better."

As far as you not listening to their later stuff, don't bother with it, it sucks. Now I say that admitting I think that from 1982-1991 Metallica was the greastest heavy metal band that ever graced this planet. They wrote technical metal songs (in fact it can be argued that ...And Justice For All is more a progressive metal CD than a pure metal CD), they were heavy, they could play fast, they were good musicians, the song structures were amazing, the lyrics were great, and they could get it done consistently on stage.

Metallica in short had no weakness...toss in the 'populist' approach of the band, the no video attitude, the 'metal for life' ethic and you had the formula for greatness. Walking away from that band killed me, I hated it, because they were my rallying cry all through high school. While the kid next to me at the stop light was playing Round and Round by Ratt I was pumping Whiplash by Metallica.

Hell, raging Lars bothers me to, because he is the reason I grab a couple 5B Regaltips and started banging away.

They are legends and all fans of the band that grew up with them will forever love their contribution to the world of music and to our lives, that's what makes their descent into mediocrity so disturbing.

DamoSyzygy
07-11-2008, 03:17 AM
instriretion
Uhh.....What?............

Adrian_Ganter
07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
IMO,
Lars being in Metallica has helped change the type of music being played today! My mum once told me she would listen to Metallica while she was pregnant with me. And the day i heard Master Of Puppets i fell in love with his drumming! He has made Metallica sound really good and is a big inspiration to me and i'm really looking forward to the new album Metallica is releasing in September (Death Magnetic)! =)

TheIronCobr4
08-07-2008, 03:51 AM
I've been a Metallica fan ever since my friend turned me on to them, but I could never agree with him on the fact of Lars being a great drummer. I wouldn't ever consider Lars great, even on Justic because if you see videos of him live he still struggles to reproduce those songs. I don't understand why he makes songs that he can't play live when in my opinion, playing live is where it really counts.

There is no denying Lars' influence and ethusiasm on stage and for Metallica in general. His drumming just so happens to fit the music he plays and somehow he gets by. There is no reson to put him on a pedastal, especially now when he has totally slipped to an all time low.

hateplow
08-07-2008, 04:05 AM
I've been a Metallica fan ever since my friend turned me on to them, but I could never agree with him on the fact of Lars being a great drummer. I wouldn't ever consider Lars great, even on Justic because if you see videos of him live he still struggles to reproduce those songs. I don't understand why he makes songs that he can't play live when in my opinion, playing live is where it really counts.

There is no denying Lars' influence and ethusiasm on stage and for Metallica in general. His drumming just so happens to fit the music he plays and somehow he gets by. There is no reson to put him on a pedastal, especially now when he has totally slipped to an all time low.

These are my feelings exactly. You can't deny his impact on drumming and metal (and Justice is in my top 5 of all time), but he really struggles live. He is the epitome of overplaying.

matt1
08-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Hey DRUMMERWORLD I am new here! I’ve read a lot of the comments about Lars here and checked out the other threads on the drummers I like and have read mixed reports for all, which is normal as everyone has there own taste, style and opinion.

Lars will always be my favorite drummer because of how he "plays to the music".

The way that Metallica songs are arranged has something to do with how Lars plays drums and how he comes up with an original drum track.

The thing about Lars is he's not technical compared to e.g. Travis Smith of Trivium and Joey Jordison of Slipknot (both good drummers), but he is technical in a song if he thinks he should be, but most importantly if he wants to be. What I’ve learnt about him from seeing Metallica live 4 times and listening to live cd's and watching dvd’s, videos whatever, is he never plays a song the same way twice. He changes fills or maybe doesn't play the fill and continues with a beat and its all to do with keeping things fresh, interesting, unpredictable, for stimulation and actually as Lars would say to keep things "Rock and Roll" which is as cheesy as a mature cheddar would get that’s bin kept in the fridge for 28years, but true. You probably know that a big part of his style is to accent with symbol crashes. As for double bass I’ve read people complaining about his usage of them and I’ve always bin very impressed when he does it. He definitely uses it in different ways to everyone else.

You don’t get to be in the biggest Metal band ever if your not good enough to be. Most would know that Lars has a larger roll to play than just playing drums for Metallica, but when he gets down to sitting behind the kit he always delivers. It hasn’t just been the guitar riffs, guitar solos, bass lines and lyrics that have made Metallica what they are; Lars's original drumming style has been a huge ingredient to the mix that has had the outcome of more than 100 million albums sold.

Metallica are the biggest selling heavy metal band ever because they have been the most accessible out of all of them. With great riffs, song arrangements, lyrics, different styles and drum parts they have always been original. There are better technical drummers than Lars Ulrich that are playing in bands that are not as successful as Metallica, but I find that they tend to play drums too hard and fast and albums become what I call "Drummers Albums". An example of this I would give is, Slipknot Volume 3 where Joey Jordisons presence within the album completely over shadows everyone else’s input. (Im actually saying that his drumming is best thing on this album).

I believe a drummer’s roll should be to serve the song to make the song sound as good as it can and not just making the drums sound great.

Lars as a drummer delivers in the way that makes Metallica as a band sound the best they can which is what should be done. Even if a drummer sacrifices some of his fancy moves and tricks to make a great song, it’s what should be done if all the other ingredients added by the other musicians instruments are good enough.

Another opinion by another drummer about another drummer…

ddood
08-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Here's my $.02. To me, Lars isn't the greatest drummer that ever lived or anything, but he is one of my favorites. I know he's not one of the best technique-wise. He's not the suckiest either. Hell, listen to the beginning of Harvester of Sorrow. Sounds pretty cool to me. I started listening to Metallica right when Master of Puppets came out and was hooked. Lars and Metallica changed metal forever. They were, with other bands soon following, pioneers in bringing their genre of music into the mainstream. I realize that I'm not saying anything that has not already been said. My bottom line is Lars is the single reason I wanted to play drums. I have grown up and listen to tons of other drummers who are lots better technique-wise, but can still queue up some Metallica on the iPod and actually feel the music still. I have seen Metallica live somewhere between 8-12 times and I have to strongly disagree with those that have said he is not a good live drummer. He sounds great to me and looks like he is having a blast onstage. Anyway, all of the above is my opinion, so it is valid for me, and it may not be for you.

arthurk1
08-19-2008, 07:33 PM
I have loved Lars since I saw him play with Wasp and Armored Saint in 1985. He beat the living crap out of his kit and every hit meant something. I remember reading an old modern drummer article where they interviewed his roadie, and he said that at the end of the tour, there were no cymbals left uncracked and that all of the hardware on his kit was starting to rust because he sweat so much from being a madman behind his big kit. That's even after wiping everything off after each show. To me, THAT is great drumming. Sure, I learned to play more from Peart and Rich, but to watch Lars break stick after stick is really what it's all about. Gene Simmons said it best, " It's all about the show"! PERIOD! As for Lars not playing the same parts he played early on, he wised up to the fact that the crowd can't hear anything but a big BZZZZZZZZ if he is playing machine gun parts, so he plays more groove oriented and less fill oriented now. Bands like Slipknot, and Morbid Angel, both of which I love, have the same problem now, but continue to play the lightning fast fills and such. Also, there isn't but a handful of bands today where the producer doesn't splice the drums tracks together and pro tools the life out of it! Lars is awesome in my book and I would love to meet him and ask him some questions.

RICHY-18
08-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Lars got me started on the drums. and as you can see got me into tama.

Jon Cable
09-03-2008, 09:46 PM
I really like Metallica and really like Lars; he ain't Buddy but can you imagine Metallica without him or him without Metallica?? Perfect match, great sound, great band and, I'm sorry to those of you who aren't keen on him, but great drummer!!

joshlovestodrum
09-07-2008, 07:05 AM
I respect Metallica for what they've done for metal but I just saw the newest video for the first single off of "Death Magnetic" and it was, to me, tired and un-comfortable. that song had more time filler in it than any tune i've heard in a long time (probably since St Anger). it just feels like they are purposefully trying to re-create how special "One" was on that track...completely obvious. its uncomfortable to me because, again; to ME, it seems like they just arent aging gracefully...it seems like they are always trying to do something other than just be themselves. its OK that they cant rip like on Kill em' All....or whichever album you choose...To steal a line from Lars himself "It just feels too stock.".

heres to hoping its just a metallica lead off singles curse thing...

Vipercussionist
09-07-2008, 03:45 PM
If it wasn't for him, I'd still be playing AC/DC on my cheap 5 piece Royce You say that like it's a BAD thing!!! Phil Rudd is one of the most groove oriented drummers EVER!! What would be the downside to playing so well? There are FUNK drummers without so much "pocket" as Rudd has.

drummingman
09-07-2008, 04:04 PM
lars was a huge influence on me to play the drums. i must admit that the last album that a really liked by metallice was the black album. and i do think that as a drummer lars really has not grown a lot since the black album. but i still count him as one of my main early influences.
and just to say, i just saw the vid for the day that never comes and i liked the song. i look forward to hearing the whole album.

7DaysToTheWolves
09-07-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm not so much a big fan of lars anymore, although he's one of my major influences.
When I figured out that i could play Metallica songs, I lost him in the storm I was creating within.

metal overlord
09-08-2008, 12:04 AM
You say that like it's a BAD thing!!! Phil Rudd is one of the most groove oriented drummers EVER!! What would be the downside to playing so well? There are FUNK drummers without so much "pocket" as Rudd has.

I know, I like how he plays behind the beat, too. But, if it wasn't for Lars, I wouldn't know about blast beats, and all that good stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love Phil/Simon/Chris and AC/DC, but Lars changed the way I drummed forever.

But if it wasn't for Phil I would have never learn how to do the simple grove that he always plays.

coolgroove
11-02-2008, 10:05 PM
hello community im new here and i would like to know which kit does lars used in AND JUSTICE FOR ALL if any of you has any kind of info bout this please let me know tnx

metal overlord
11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
hello community im new here and i would like to know which kit does lars used in AND JUSTICE FOR ALL if any of you has any kind of info bout this please let me know tnx

Tama Granstar II (birch shells)
Drums:
-14x6.5" Bell Brass/14x8" Birch Snare Drum
-Two 24x16" bass drums
-10x10",12x11",14x13",16x15" toms and two 18x16" floor toms

Cymbals: (All Zildjian)
-Two 14" Z Custom 'Dyno Beat' Hi Hats
-17" and 18" A Medium crashes
-16",17" and 18" A Rock crashes
-20" Z Custom China
All cymbals were in 'brilliant' finish

Hardware (all Tama):
- 6x Titan HC104TB Cymbal Boom Stands
- 2x HP45 Pro Beat Pedals
- Titan HS90 Snare Stand
- Titan HT90 Throne
- Lever-Glide HH95NL Hi-Hat
- HH95XH X-Hat
- 2x 65 Multi Clamp

Heads:
Remo clear Pinstripe batter heads on toms and bass drums. Remo 'Ebony' (black) Ambassadors as resonant heads. Snare head was a Remo coated CS with reverse dot and ambassador snare side resonant.

Sticks:
Regal Tip 5B - Lars Ulrich model. Also used grip tape when playing.

Heres the link
http://www.encycmet.com/equipment/larseq.shtml
This is not his famous black and white kit. That was an Artstar II maple shells. This kit was grey with black hardware.
I tried to memorize all of it, but the hardware confuses me -.-

humourus username
11-03-2008, 07:50 PM

As many people say, He holds the beat and drives the music and that's his fundamental job. But the thing that gets me about him is the way he doesn't try to put any feeling (sorry for sounding so pretentious) in his playing. For example, His only dynamic is FFF. Listen to nothing else matters and you'll see what i mean.

vanntolentino
11-04-2008, 02:55 PM
hello, sorry for butting in.

to cap off my opinion of lars, he ISN'T one of the better drummers, let alone of the metal drummers. but the way he does his stuff on the drums, the way he performs... he defined how metal drummers should drum metal. that's what matters, at least to me - and probably to lars :p

anyway, i'm a newbie here, so please don't wedgie me.

LeeLovesSabian
11-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Lars is my favorite drummer ever.
He mastered double kicks like a fiend

Abstsbtsb
11-07-2008, 09:36 AM
How long can you play ACDC beats in a metal band? ok... seriously, he was an OK thrash drummer in kill em all. Everything after that i cant listen to just because of his drumming. You can say that he fits the band well for what they play and blah blah blah.. I just personally think that he doesnt work well with the music at all from a thrash metal point of view. Hes a bearable ROCK drummer... but he totally sucks at playing thrash metal. If you watch them live on youtube the extra fills he puts in for the show are absolutely terrible and have no place in the actual song. You can even see him miss his hits a few times. In recordings he plays the most boring beats you could imagine. He has absolutely no creativity. The things you guys say here about him creating these "interesting beats" i just dont see. these beats you speak of sound like a little kid who had never even played drums before had come up with them. lars is a hack that got caught up with a bunch of talented indivuals. I believe Lars Ulrich is an embarassment to the thrash metal genre. Go listen to Clemente, Lombardo, Tempesta, Bostaph, Hoglan, and Benante if you want to know what REAL talented thrash drumming is.
\m/ THRASH TILL DETH \m/ "No glam, death to posers!"- Gene Holgan

speedwolf
11-07-2008, 09:46 AM
How long can you play ACDC beats in a metal band? ok... seriously, he was an OK thrash drummer in kill em all. Everything after that i cant listen to just because of his drumming. You can say that he fits the band well for what they play and blah blah blah.. I just personally think that he doesnt work well with the music at all from a thrash metal point of view. Hes a bearable ROCK drummer... but he totally sucks at playing thrash metal. If you watch them live on youtube the extra fills he puts in for the show are absolutely terrible and have no place in the actual song. You can even see him miss his hits a few times. In recordings he plays the most boring beats you could imagine. He has absolutely no creativity. The things you guys say here about him creating these "interesting beats" i cant beleive. these beats you speak sound like a little kid who had never even played drums before had come up with them. I think lars is a hack that got caught up with a bunch of talented indivuals. I beleive Lars Ulrich is an embarassment to the thrash metal community. Go listen to Clemente, lombardo, tempesta, bostaph, hoglan, and benante if you want to know what a real talented thrash drumming is.
\m/ THRASH TILL DETH \m/

Absolutely. I'm tired of listening to people rave about Ulrich. He's probably the most overrated drummer of our time. He lacks creativity, and it's just plain boring for the most part. I didn't mind Kill Em All, but the rest of his work is just...lacking. His live fills are half hearted and messy. Of course letting the music ring out is important, but I think this guy took it way too far (if those were even his intentions to begin with, sounding the way he does.) To sum it up, it just sounds unbelievably half-hearted and boring to me, all in all.

Abstsbtsb
11-07-2008, 09:47 AM
And just because he holds the beat and is a character on stage doesnt make him good AT ALL. In fact, since thats ALL HE CAN DO, it makes him a terrible drummer.

metal overlord
11-08-2008, 06:44 AM
How long can you play ACDC beats in a metal band? ok... seriously, he was an OK thrash drummer in kill em all. Everything after that i cant listen to just because of his drumming. You can say that he fits the band well for what they play and blah blah blah.. I just personally think that he doesnt work well with the music at all from a thrash metal point of view. Hes a bearable ROCK drummer... but he totally sucks at playing thrash metal. If you watch them live on youtube the extra fills he puts in for the show are absolutely terrible and have no place in the actual song. You can even see him miss his hits a few times. In recordings he plays the most boring beats you could imagine. He has absolutely no creativity. The things you guys say here about him creating these "interesting beats" i just dont see. these beats you speak of sound like a little kid who had never even played drums before had come up with them. lars is a hack that got caught up with a bunch of talented indivuals. I believe Lars Ulrich is an embarassment to the thrash metal genre. Go listen to Clemente, Lombardo, Tempesta, Bostaph, Hoglan, and Benante if you want to know what REAL talented thrash drumming is.
\m/ THRASH TILL DETH \m/ "No glam, death to posers!"- Gene Holgan

Yeah so what? Keep your opinions to yourself.

Lars changed the way I played & looked at music.

I don't see you playing in a band as successful as Metallica.
I could, would and should say more because I am tired to death of Lars bashers, but hell, I'm so tired of going off on them.

& just for fun since you added your quote
"Kill all the posers!" - Gary Holt (Exodus)

Absolutely. I'm tired of listening to people rave about Ulrich. He's probably the most overrated drummer of our time. He lacks creativity, and it's just plain boring for the most part. I didn't mind Kill Em All, but the rest of his work is just...lacking. His live fills are half hearted and messy. Of course letting the music ring out is important, but I think this guy took it way too far (if those were even his intentions to begin with, sounding the way he does.) To sum it up, it just sounds unbelievably half-hearted and boring to me, all in all.

Absoluely not. I'm tired of people bashing him. I am so god forsaken tired of being ridiculed for actually liking Lars & Lars being laughed at.
BUT, you both rock because I'm not one of the only few thrashers here =D