PDA

View Full Version : Secrets to get that CRACK from your snare?

Peter W.
07-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Gentlemen!
What's your private secrets to get that cutting CRACK from your snaredrum?

Thanks!

Drumsword
07-25-2008, 03:04 PM
I tune mine up slightly high, then when I really need it to CRACK I lay into the rim when I hit the head, so the tip hits the head and the middle of the stick just touches the rim.

joeysnare
07-25-2008, 03:15 PM
evans genera dry head,g1 bottom,tune em both tight as hell,then work my way up tightening the snare wires till i get that nice crack.

jayp
07-25-2008, 03:42 PM
13x6.5 Black panther, coated ambassador on top, clear ambassador on bottom both tuned nice and high and just lay them rim shots in.

Wavelength
07-25-2008, 03:47 PM
There's no secret. Just tune it high(ish) and play rim shots.

gmrakich
07-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Heads and shell size and type play into the equation. If you just want to kill people, get a Yamaha 14x4 solid brass piccolo . That is the gold standard IMO as far as crack. A 14x8 snare can have crack and bite, but the pitch will be lower. You can never go wrong with a coated Remo Ambassador. The tighter the head the harder the rebound so just be ready to slightly alter your grip....otherwise the shock will get transfered into your hand and you will get sore fingers, wrists, elbows shoulder knees and feet. (well maybe not knees and feet)

ceckha
07-26-2008, 09:26 AM
haha well getting the crack out of it isn't very hard to do for me. rimshots.

Tutin
07-26-2008, 07:27 PM
I have a Ludwig 1964 Gold Label snare. I use a Evans HD dry batter and the original Ludwig head. Pretty tight, but not so tight that it loses it's tone. MASSIVE CRACK DAMAGE!

Ozzy Biz
07-27-2008, 08:20 AM
evans genera dry head,g1 bottom,tune em both tight as hell,then work my way up tightening the snare wires till i get that nice crack.

G1 on the snare side?....

*shudders*

aydee
07-27-2008, 08:23 AM
there's no secret.

just dont buy into the myth that you have to crank it way- way high to get that crack.

That crack comes from tuning it evenly, just under the choking levels, on both the batter & resos..and then as wavelength says whip a rim shot and watch the ceiling plaster come off the roof.

joeysnare
07-27-2008, 07:39 PM
yeah g1 on the snare side i use it with my joey jordison sig snare,and for some odd reason it makes that snare amazingly sensitive and produces a beautiful crack when tuned high.

Mikey Dangerous
07-28-2008, 09:19 AM
If you just want to kill people, get a Yamaha 14x4 solid brass piccolo . That is the gold standard IMO as far as crack.

Yup. More crack than Harlem.

That's the snare I use with my BCA's - but I use it as a main, not a piccolo. Lay a rimshot down and bodies are droppin left, right, and center!!

Vintagedrummer
08-13-2008, 06:27 PM
1. Go down to the corner at 2am.
2. Look for a guy named Guido
3. Tell him you're looking for the best crack you can get

Oh wait.....you mean crack as in sound.....My bad!!

Tune your heads tight but don't choke 'em. Tune your snares the same way. Have fun!

Peace

Shedboyxx
08-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Anybody remember an old SNL skit with Bill Murray, Gilda Radner and Dan Akroyd (as a refrigerator repair man)? :)

I think the rimshot is one of those techniques that have to be used to insure you are getting a good crack out of any snare. Yet I think there are many players out there trying to get more crack out of a snare by hitting dead center with no rimshot. This usually means they have cranked the living daylights out of the batter and maybe the snare wires and snare side head as well (i.e. Choke City), in hopes that approach will give them what they want.

I think that any typical sized snare drum played with a strong rimshot is going to produce some kind of crack. The goal should be to figure out how high do you want the pitch of the crack and how you will maintain body and tone with it.

The general wisdom seems to be that a metal drum (steel and brass mostly but aluminum, titanium, others too.) with a single ply head tuned on the high side, minimal dampening will be where to start. Not saying you can't derivate from this but that's best case scenario to start from.

If I need a lot of crack (i.e. high pitched) I pull out my Pearl Brass 3.5 x 14 Free Floater and tune it to the high side and play rimshots til the cows come home. That's not my favorite snare sound but if I'm called to do it for a gig or session that's what I'd do. That drum has an Aquarian Coated single ply head with powerdot (TCPD).

Just to summarize: Rimshot = Crack

Jim

Mushroom Cloud
08-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Rim, rim, rim. Even on toms for maximum volume when needed.

Drifter in the Dark
08-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Every drum has a tuning range in which it sounds best; I've found that a standard 14 inch snare drum (5.5 to 6.5 inches deep) can only be tuned so high before arriving at "choke city".If you want a higher pitched sound (and more attack), I would suggest using a 12 or 13 inch drum.

Derek Roddy
08-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Gentlemen!
What's your private secrets to get that cutting CRACK from your snaredrum?

Thanks!

A Compressor!!!

It is a BIG misconception that..... the great snare sound.... we love so much...... is the snare drum.(That eye shouting pop)
This is very evident in the gospel world. All these guys try to crank their drums up to produce a sound that the snare itself............ doesn't produce.
You want that sound....go buy a nice DBX.
The amount of money you'll save in heads and lug castings AND DRUMS (from Buying different drums, looking for that sound).......... will make it "worth it".
D.

Oh yeah....and your stroke.
The way you hit the drum makes a big difference too. (And by that...I don't mean playing rim shots).
I know guys that play rimshots and still don't get a very good sound ( or crack) from the drum.

SpiritOfRadio
08-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah. Compression is what does it. a good 6:1 ratio on a DBX with low attack settings should give you more crack than even the worst neighborhood in your town.
Won't have to worry bout' the law this way either!

Tylerdrums109
08-31-2008, 01:18 AM
Well first start with Tuning and make sure both of those Heads are nice and tight...with the bottom just a tad tighter...play rim shots for some more power swell.....and compression during recording does help alot...the sound you hear on the recording of a snare drum is never the exact sound of the actual snare itself...it just doesn't work that way...but if you want a nice powerful natural snare sound maybe try a smaller size snare drum like a 13 inch and no matter what crank those heads as tight as you can...while still using common sense of course you dont wanna do any damage to the lugs or anything