PDA

View Full Version : double strokes on bass drum!!!!

juangar1992
02-22-2008, 03:55 AM
i have been learning double stroking on each bass drum, and i can do ti fast. it just doesn't sound as even as i want it to sound.

can it ever sound like single strokes? and how can i get it to sound even?

PS: i might upload a MP3 so you can tell if it is even enough, or its just me.

OHHH and can anyone tell me how to make beats with double stroke on bass drum

PLEASE I NEED LOTS AND LOTS OF HELP!!!!!

KLittle123
02-22-2008, 04:14 AM
Whoa whoa whoa....what technique are you using? Are they like fast doubles with your foot or are you actually bouncing it a double time with one stroke? or Are you doing that heel-toe nonsense.

fourstringdrums
02-22-2008, 04:20 AM
Whoa whoa whoa....what technique are you using? Are they like fast doubles with your foot or are you actually bouncing it a double time with one stroke? or Are you doing that heel-toe nonsense.

Since when is heel-toe nonsense? It's a valid technique.

KLittle123
02-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Since when is heel-toe nonsense? It's a valid technique.

Haha, I figured that would urk someone. Once again...I'm joking.

Doesn't that really untalented showboat player JoJo Mayer use it???

Kidding.

juangar1992
02-22-2008, 04:33 AM
yes i'm using that heel-toe NONSENSE????

KLittle123
02-22-2008, 04:36 AM
yes i'm using that heel-toe NONSENSE????

AND IT"S NOT EVEN!?!? SOMETHINGS TERRIBLY WRONG!!!

No jk. I'm gonna go with a guess that you should attempt to accent the note that is usually quietter. I'd say that "oh yeah, it'll get even as you play," but I don't want to say that for fear of that'll make it permanently like that. Slow it down and try it even.

juangar1992
02-22-2008, 04:38 AM
i'll try to upload a MP3 tomorror and please tell me if it isn't even 'cause it might be just me.

PS: can you give me any advice how to use it on a beat???

EDIT: i thought a video would be better and you could tell me what i'm doing wrong

juangar1992
02-22-2008, 04:52 AM
here's the video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-iu3NR-CpY

i've benn only playing for a couple months and hell toe for about a week

fourstringdrums
02-22-2008, 04:54 AM
You need to slow down and concentrate getting the strokes even, it's as simple as that. Then gradually increase your speed.

djlouis
02-22-2008, 06:11 AM
If you want to use it in a beat just start by doing different ride pattern and different snare on top of it and you will see what works best . You should treat your feet like your hands and maybe put some double here and there through single bass pattern ( I think Chris Adler do it). I don't see the meaning of doing double strokes even in a continuous way in a beat, cause it will sound like single (if it's real even), that's real good for practicing but when you want create beat you should definitely mix it with single or flam or whatever your technique allowed you to do. Be creative. Take some snare exercises with double strokes roll in it or just snare pattern and replace all accent with double strokes, you could do paradiddle-diddle too for 6/8 beat.......have fun, You makes me want to practice some double stroke roll, lol

Fett2oo5
02-22-2008, 03:01 PM
An example of using it in a beat would be to place a double just before Beat 4 which is where you would put the snare hit. At slower tempos I sometimes will do this leading into Beat 1 where I would normally place a bass hit in that particular groove.
it might look something like this..... d=Bass, k=Snare (I like D and K because they sound pretty accurate when you use your mouth for the sounds)

leading into 4 with double stroke bass: (yes I vaguely represent the doubles as 32nds)
1 - - - 2 - - - 3 - - ddK - - -

Leading into 1 with double stroke bass: (again the doubles as 32nds)
1 - - - 2 - - - 3 - - - 4 - - - 1
1 - - - 2 - - - 3 - - - 4 - - ddd

groove example:
1 2 3 4 1
d - - d k - - d d - - d k - - ddd

usually this is done with two pedals but it's an example. And I hope this was easy enough to follow, it is a little early in the morning for me =\

turbinesaint
02-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Play a basic beat: i.e. 8th note hands with snare on 2 and 4. Play 16ths with your feet (1e+a 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a). Play double strokes (32nd notes) on 3. Try this until you get a good roll on 3, then switch it to where you want it in what you are playing. This was the easiest for me since my feet were already moving, and it was easy to add the double. Once you feel comfortable with the double on the basic 2, 4 beat, then you'll be able to use it with more freedom.

aydee
02-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Heres a good simple exercise to develop speed and control of the foot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0LaJ_ftT0

millerdakiller
02-22-2008, 09:08 PM
if you are using that heel toe nonsense as tis aparently being refered to in this thread, the heel is of course going to be quieter. It's striking from further back on the pedal which means it has less leverage. you really have two options. move your two back and increase the distance you move your foot forward for the stroke. or accent the heel and hold back on the toe.

Jeff Almeyda
02-22-2008, 09:29 PM
if you are using that heel toe nonsense as tis aparently being refered to in this thread, the heel is of course going to be quieter. It's striking from further back on the pedal which means it has less leverage. you really have two options. move your two back and increase the distance you move your foot forward for the stroke. or accent the heel and hold back on the toe.

I believe you may be mistaken. In heel-toe technique, the first stroke (heel) tends to be louder than the second (toe) stroke. This is due to the fact that more of the weight of the whole leg is behind the first stroke. The second stroke is pretty much coming from the ankle motion and thus has less power behind it.

fourstringdrums
02-22-2008, 10:01 PM
I believe you may be mistaken. In heel-toe technique, the first stroke (heel) tends to be louder than the second (toe) stroke. This is due to the fact that more of the weight of the whole leg is behind the first stroke. The second stroke is pretty much coming from the ankle motion and thus has less power behind it.

I want to add that by practicing and strengthening your ankle and being able to regulate the power between the too, heel toe doesn't have to sound unbalanced.

Jeff Almeyda
02-23-2008, 12:00 AM
I want to add that by practicing and strengthening your ankle and being able to regulate the power between the too, heel toe doesn't have to sound unbalanced.

Definitely, Tim Waterson's h-t doubles are smooth. JoJo's also very smooth with it. It just takes lots of practice.

millerdakiller
02-23-2008, 06:49 AM

you and i play heel toe completely differently then...

my first stroke is my toe.

Jivi
02-24-2008, 09:19 AM
I like to think that NOT using heel-toe would be better for consistency as I've seen Virgil Donati demonstrate and Grant Collins.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xu52BsNOdDc

The way I see it is dropping the foot but keeping the ball of the foot on the same place on the pedal, that's how I practice it. The first stroke is down with your foot high then the back of the foot drops to make another stroke as the front your foot kind of moves with the pedal as it comes back up.

Guillermo
02-24-2008, 04:27 PM
i have been learning double stroking on each bass drum, and i can do ti fast. it just doesn't sound as even as i want it to sound.

Well that's the problem right there...

If you can "do it fast" but it doesn't sound even, then YOU ARE NOT DOING IT period.

Doing it correctly slow and building up form there is, as you all know, a cornerstone of drumming technique.

How can you do something fast, when you're not doing it right to begin with?

Wait until it's solid before you speed it up... of course, I don't play double bass, but regardless of style everything you learn in drumming shares that basic principle.

juangar1992
02-26-2008, 01:43 AM
i have been practicing slow for a couple of days and i'm recording some more videos so you guys can help me out please!!!

juangar1992
02-26-2008, 02:59 AM
here's he other video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhHmxvJ0Vbg

PS: its really dark :)
PS: GUYS I JUST FOUND OUT MY BASS DRUMS ARE NOT IN TUNE WITH EACH OTHER. DOES THAT AFFECT IT IN ANY WAY??

=J=
02-27-2008, 07:36 PM
I was just about to say that it looks like your bass drums have different heads on and don't really sound the same. I imagine everything mentioned before is going to give a larger improvement but uneven kicks probably isn't helping.

btw i use a double pedal and use h-t doubles on each leag and it sounds even enough. It just took me a long time of doing it slow.

bigfatbobby
02-27-2008, 10:03 PM
If you search "axis ekit" on youtube, there will be some guy who demonstrates the ekit while playing doubles. Quite useful for you, I guess.

Felix

Victor_se
03-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Well my teacher told me that a good way to make souble strokes even is Accent the second hit of the double stroke d D i I, I've tried and Works well

trysthedrummer
03-08-2008, 08:39 PM
When I start to do double strokes on the bass drum I always use the slide technique. This is the same that Virgil Donati uses (check out the band, Planet X) and many others...

I can get upto 160, clean strokes lasting for at least a minute. I'm slowly increasing the tempo and practicing. As it's been said, start slow and make sure the strokes with your feet (or hands) are even and controlled. Always practice leading with your weaker foot too.

Jivi
03-10-2008, 12:09 AM
When I start to do double strokes on the bass drum I always use the slide technique. This is the same that Virgil Donati uses (check out the band, Planet X) and many others...

I can get upto 160, clean strokes lasting for at least a minute. I'm slowly increasing the tempo and practicing. As it's been said, start slow and make sure the strokes with your feet (or hands) are even and controlled. Always practice leading with your weaker foot too.

How do you do it with shoes on?
Seems like too much grip to slide much/

slingerland755
03-10-2008, 04:14 AM
Heres a good simple exercise to develop speed and control of the foot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0LaJ_ftT0

And here's part 2....Mike Johnston is a great teacher,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_fEzpqydM&feature=related