PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha vs. Mapex vs. Sonor vs. Taye

Plutopowered
08-29-2007, 05:35 AM
As I posted in another thread, I'm shopping for a new kit right now. I'd like some opinions please! I know that it comes down to my own personal taste but I like hearing other's opinions also.

My dream kit (today) would probably be a 6 piece Oak Custom (which I'm going to continue to search for used) or a better Yamaha set (they all sound great) but it looks like a new Mapex Saturn will do (less expensive, very nice kit). This kit seems a little better than the Yamaha Stage Customs, no?

The Oak Custom and Taye kits seem a little too expensive and the Mapex Saturn price is best for me. I've tried the Yamaha's and I'm going to try (again) the Saturn this weekend (and I'm sure I'll be happy after all I've read).

I have an old Sonor Force 2001? which has served me well but I'm not that familiar with the newer model Sonors. Any Sonor kits that compare to the Saturn (in price and sound?).

It seems like the Mapex has the best value for the money in the $1500 price range. Thoughts?

Ironcobra
08-29-2007, 05:40 AM
Hmmmmm, well, PM fourstringdrums about the oak yammies. You're right about Mapex having the best value. I know you don't want another person saying "It's all about your personal preference blah blah blah" so I will tell you straight up which one I would get, no crap. I would get the Taye SM.

aydee
08-29-2007, 05:45 AM
As I posted in another thread, I'm shopping for a new kit right now. I'd like some opinions please! I know that it comes down to my own personal taste but I like hearing other's opinions also.

My dream kit (today) would probably be a 6 piece Oak Custom (which I'm going to continue to search for used) or a better Yamaha set (they all sound great) but it looks like a new Mapex Saturn will do (less expensive, very nice kit). This kit seems a little better than the Yamaha Stage Customs, no?

The Oak Custom and Taye kits seem a little too expensive and the Mapex Saturn price is best for me. I've tried the Yamaha's and I'm going to try (again) the Saturn this weekend (and I'm sure I'll be happy after all I've read).

I have an old Sonor Force 2001? which has served me well but I'm not that familiar with the newer model Sonors. Any Sonor kits that compare to the Saturn (in price and sound?).

It seems like the Mapex has the best value for the money in the $1500 price range. Thoughts?

Your rational seems bang-on. I play Yamahas but I consider mapex drums to be officially the most underrated brand in the biz..

RobertM
08-29-2007, 06:15 AM
I'm in a similar dilemma, though looking for jazz sizes. I like the Mapex Saturns (Laser Canary finish is amazing), but if you search carefully, you can easily get Oak Customs or even Birch Custom Absolutes for $2000 or less. I think the Yamahas are better made and they'll definitely have a better resale value, in my opinion. Given my biased view here, I would sway towards the Yamahas--though the Oak Customs do sound different. Make sure to try them out in person, if you can. They are loud drums, nice sounding, but many consider the Oak Customs not suitable for all applications like a maple or birch kit would be.

Sonors are great drums but VERY expensive. I think the Delites or the S-Classix (birch) are the way to go there, but then you are talking about $2500 to $3200--ouch!

Check out Shane's thread on Taye Studio Maples. I have heard a lot of wonderful things about the Taye SMs, and I even talked to Larry Finn, a Taye artist listed on drummerworld, and he said he thought the quality of the drums was quite good. He was lukewarm about the hardware, but most people are--then again, most also agree that the hardware is quite functional despite being aesthetically "simple." If I had extra money, I wouldn't mind getting a Yamaha Absolute and a Taye, just because I'm so curious about the Taye SMs.

If you can find a good price--and you should be able to--I would go with Yamaha Absolute Maple or Birch first, maybe the Oaks, followed closely by Taye Studio Maples. The Taye SMs just seem to be a bit magical: very good quality, good sound, for a price that usually is the same as, if not cheaper than, the Mapexs.

gretsch223
09-01-2007, 04:51 PM
the oak custom price has dropped a lot...I would consider getting that.

RobertM
09-02-2007, 01:18 AM
I agree with the above: If you really like the Oak Customs, then you can easily get a five-piece shell pack for about $1680, I believe. Massmusic and West Coast Drums both have good prices in general. The Oaks are amazingly affordable given the quality of the kits.

However, don't dismiss Taye too quickly. I think their quality and shells exceed Mapex (that may just be me, though: I worry about Mapex's production being in China; most drum sellers seem a bit wary of the cheap markets in China). And, if you check out West Coast Drums, for example, you can easily get a six-piece kit, sans hardware, for $1520!! With hardware package, about $1680 or $1700. Very, very affordable.

But the Mapex Saturns, Oak Customs, and Taye Studio Maples are all good from what I've seen here on this forum, and from what I've read elsewhere. Pretty much a win-win situation for you.

fourstringdrums
09-02-2007, 01:23 AM
As IronCobra mentioned, I had Oak Customs. In a word, I hated them from day one. They are beautiful drums with flawless construction, but the tone just wasn't for me. It's bight, loud, and IMO, harsh. I found them to be harder to tune, especially on my larger 15" floor because of the overtones that Oak had to my ear. I would definitely recommend trying a set of these before buying if you can.

I personally would go for the Mapex, but Taye makes really nice drums from what I've seen, and I'm sorry that I never got a chance to own one of them. I get the feeling that I may have stopped buying kits earlier if I had :)

tkillian
09-02-2007, 03:51 AM
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex

AlexM
09-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex

Ozzy Biz
09-02-2007, 05:10 AM
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex
Mapex

Wow, I just love the logic put forward here in this argument. Any more detail and I don't I could mentally cope with the rest of today, or maybe even next week.

AlexM
09-02-2007, 06:29 AM
Wow, I just love the logic put forward here in this argument. Any more detail and I don't I could mentally cope with the rest of today, or maybe even next week.

Thanks Ozzy! Not sure what I did to you, but perhaps before you or anyone else snaps, you all should realize it was a continuation of the post previous to mine. I thought it was funny. Sorry to have obviously offended you, here something better for you.

Mapex is awesome. Good Price, great quality, easy to tune, great sounds. Be a smart-@$$ somewhere else.

xopethx
09-02-2007, 07:02 AM
SONOR!!

unmatched quality and attention to detail...THAT is why you pick a Sonor kit.....

You can get a professional level maple shell pack online for under 2000 easily (S-Class Pro, more than likely)....the Delites (birch) are amazing, but more expensive....

Here's some pictures of my setup, so you can see the finish and hardware they use...

I can't say enough amazing things about Sonor, they're like the BMW of Drums..
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1757/dsc2138ab3.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6351/dsc2147fq4.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6921/84878313cn8.jpg

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/5295/dsc3140wc1.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3795/dsc2143mp6.jpg

at least see if you can find one in your area to play for a bit! Trust me, these shells sound absolutely stunning...

RobertM
09-02-2007, 07:43 AM
That is a beautiful Sonor kit, mate. Really, really nice. If I had extra money to spend, I'd love to get a Delite kit in copper or purple sparkle. They sound great.

Ozzy Biz
09-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks Ozzy! Not sure what I did to you, but perhaps before you or anyone else snaps, you all should realize it was a continuation of the post previous to mine. I thought it was funny. Sorry to have obviously offended you, here something better for you.

Mapex is awesome. Good Price, great quality, easy to tune, great sounds. Be a smart-@$$ somewhere else.

Hey lighten up. I meant to quote the first guy, but that isn't too big of an issue. I don't get offended by posts on an online forum; there can be no positive outcome in doing so so it doesn't make sense to even worry. However, pointless posts like Tkillian's do fill up threads with worthless space as you surely know. I'll continue to be a smart-arse at my own disclosure. Cheers mate

AlexM
09-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Sounds good. :-) Back to topic

tkillian
09-02-2007, 04:27 PM

Yes, I was trying to just be a little humourus while at the same time communicating that the mapex drums are indeed a big bang for the buck....
people shy away because of the Chinese connection but these drums are top notch in every category.

Sorry, I didnt mean to waste space etc..I was just being goofy. But seriously check out mapex

Ive owned, Yamaha Recording Custom, Sonorlite, Gretsch,Fibes,Pearl MMX. My mapex Pro-M is actually in the same league! They are thin maple shells, great bearing edges, solid hardware, great pro finish. You DO have to replace the chinese/remo heads with better heads..but once you do they sound like a $2,500 kit instead of $900.

Plutopowered
09-02-2007, 05:45 PM
SONOR!!

unmatched quality and attention to detail...THAT is why you pick a Sonor kit.....

You can get a professional level maple shell pack online for under 2000 easily (S-Class Pro, more than likely)....the Delites (birch) are amazing, but more expensive....

Here's some pictures of my setup, so you can see the finish and hardware they use...

at least see if you can find one in your area to play for a bit! Trust me, these shells sound absolutely stunning...

So, a shell pack of the S Class by Sonor may be around $1500 or at least comparable to the Mapex Saturn and Taye Studio Maples?

My current old Sonor kit sounds good enough (the snare and bass are seriously lacking) and I'd consider Sonor again but, as I said before, I thought a comperable kit to the Saturns and Mapex would be more expensive. My Sonor kit really served me well and it always sounded great!

So:

Sonor S Class shell pack (new / 6 piece) = around $1500
Taye Studio Maple shell pack (new / 6 piece) = around $1500
Mapex Saturn shell pack (new / 6 piece) = around $1500
Yamaha Oak Custom / Maple Custom (new / 6 piece) = at least $1800

I'm in the right ball park?

Edit: I'm really quite amazed at the response on this board to Mapex. It certainly sways me towards that brand.

ItsPureLuck
09-02-2007, 06:22 PM
So, a shell pack of the S Class by Sonor may be around $1500 or at least comparable to the Mapex Saturn and Taye Studio Maples?

My current old Sonor kit sounds good enough (the snare and bass are seriously lacking) and I'd consider Sonor again but, as I said before, I thought a comperable kit to the Saturns and Mapex would be more expensive. My Sonor kit really served me well and it always sounded great!

So:

Sonor S Class shell pack (new / 6 piece) = around $1500
Taye Studio Maple shell pack (new / 6 piece) = around $1500
Mapex Saturn shell pack (new / 6 piece) = around $1500
Yamaha Oak Custom / Maple Custom (new / 6 piece) = at least $1800

I'm in the right ball park?

Edit: I'm really quite amazed at the response on this board to Mapex. It certainly sways me towards that brand.

My local Mapex retailer gave me these prices on the Saturn Series (made of NA maple by the way, not sure why people keep saying Asian)

6 Piece Studio w/Hardware - $1999
5 Piece Fusion w/Hardware- $1769
5 Piece Fusionease w/Hardware- $1769
5 Piece Standard w/ Hardware- $1769

I ended up ordering the Fusionease along with a Black Panther Solid Steel snare and 6 new sabian cymbals, I can't wait!

RobertM
09-02-2007, 08:15 PM
FYI--the Sonor S-Class have been discontinued apparently. It is now only Force 3007, S-Classix (birch), Delite, SQ2 (in range of price going up, up, up). If you find a S-Class, you may want to snag it right away given that they are now an endangered species in the drum world.

Norske
09-03-2007, 05:32 AM
My two cents....

I own two Mapex kits and for my money it doesn't get any better. One has been used extensively for gigging, and the hardware is quite durable. In my area you can get a Saturn kit with hardware for around $1400, which is one heck of a buy. The finishes are awesome, and the drums are extremely well constructed.

As others have pointed out, they are made in China, but under very tight quality control, and yes, they are made of NA maple. Not to mention that these drums absolutely boom!

eddrummer05
09-03-2007, 09:01 AM
i say sonor man!!! i own a 2001 force,, and sounds very good. i can imagine the expensive ones. and i got my self a sonor symphony snare 14X6 and its the best sounding snare i ever played, well it was 600$. it went down from 760$

Plutopowered
09-04-2007, 02:21 AM
i say sonor man!!! i own a 2001 force,, and sounds very good. i can imagine the expensive ones. and i got my self a sonor symphony snare 14X6 and its the best sounding snare i ever played, well it was 600$. it went down from 760$

What size bass drum do you have? I think my set is a Force 2003? and the bass is only 18". The other members of my band complain that it's not really loud / booming enough for the rock that we play (and I think they're probably right).

Edit: Oops. I just saw it. It looks like you have a 22".