PDA

View Full Version : BASS DRUM TUNING

Pages : [1] 2

Fendi
07-04-2005, 05:42 PM
I just bought an Evans Genera Clear 22inch bass drum head.. I'm still figuring out how to tune the bass drum.. Can someone help me and provide me some tips on muffling, tightness of the skin? thanks :)

fendi

Stu_Strib
07-04-2005, 05:55 PM
If you want a slappy sound, then tune the head as low as it goes, but still has a slight tone. You'll probably see a couple wrinkles in the head, but don't overdo it.

Tune the front head low too, but then up a little bit more than the batter side. I like it to it to have a nice tone.

Then for muffling, depending on the size of your bass drum, I would use one pillow that bareley touches both heads. If you can't find one that barely touches, try having it barely touch the batter head, and most of it touching the front head.

I use EQ2 clear heads with a ported EQ3 head on front. Right now I'm using an Emad, and no muffling on that side, then the evans pillow on the front head.

Hope this helps.

Fendi
07-04-2005, 06:26 PM
i have two pillows inside, how do i align them properly? help

NUTHA JASON
07-04-2005, 07:48 PM
take an old thick drum head (i used to circle i cut out of my front head) and cut a piece the size of a side plate. tape it in place on the batter head so that the beater will hit it in the center. but only tape it on the top. there will be a tiny space between it and the batter. this clicks and deadens the ring on the batter skin slightly. as an added bonus it means that the head won't be worn away by the beater.

j

Stu_Strib
07-04-2005, 11:03 PM
i have two pillows inside, how do i align them properly? help

Two might be too much. There is a point that chokes the drum out completely, and you have a 70s funk bass drum.

With one pillow try laying it length wise so an equal amount of it is touching both heads. If its a long pillow it will cover too much of the batter head. I only like it to barely touch my batter head. If its folde up and goes higher than the where the pedal strikes, then you probably have too much of it on this end...move some of it to the resonant side.

GPinney
07-04-2005, 11:17 PM
I just bought an Evans Genera Clear 22inch bass drum head.. I'm still figuring out how to tune the bass drum.. Can someone help me and provide me some tips on muffling, tightness of the skin? thanks :)

fendi I am Greg Pinney. It is very simple to dampen your bass drum. Most drummers do this. Put a pillow or a medium size blanket in your bass drum. dont tighten the head alot. If you leave the head a little lose you will get a nice dampen tight sounding bass drum. (Only turn the tuning pegs about 2-3 1/2 times each.)

DogBreath
07-05-2005, 04:41 AM
As always, Professor Sound's Drum Tuning Bible is a wealth of information:

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id6.html

Fendi
07-05-2005, 10:48 AM
thanks so much everyone here for your advise, i finally manage to get my bass drum sound :D so check out: Fendi's Drum Riff

http://www.myspace.com/prognosian

This is my new evans genera 22inch clear bass drum skin.. Check it out, tell me what you think? thanks everybody!!

Fendi

LittleRock
07-26-2005, 12:42 PM
I recently bought a Evans EMAD batter head (22") and a new resonant head with a port hole. I was one that could never get a good bass drum sound. This EMAD really transformed the sound of my kick. There is no internal muffling and it sounds nice and punchy. I took the recomendation from a fellow poster on this forum....thanks for the good advice.

Superlow
07-26-2005, 05:15 PM
I find I don't have to use pillows for a nice punchy sound. I also don't use the ported kick drum head. I find that the hole really effects the sound of the kick drum. If you use a Powerstroke 3 for a batter head and Aquarian force 2 on the front. You can have a louder punch sound. I think the pillow makes your drum sound smaller.

Marc Lajeunesse
07-26-2005, 09:02 PM
The evans Retro Screens on the resonant side gives it a loud punch and gets rid of a lot of the resonation in combination with an evans eq3. I love it.

JT1
12-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Which is the easiest way to tune two bass drums to get the same sound? I have two but i can't really get them to sound the same can anyone help me out? Thanks JT

mediocrefunkybeat
12-20-2005, 01:25 PM
It's a very difficult thing to do. My advice would be to count the turns you put in each head and model the other drum exactly on that. Personally I would try to tune both bass drums different, as Ginger Baker does. I think that allows for a more adventurous approach.

Thinshells
12-20-2005, 02:14 PM
I try to get both my kicks in the ballpark, but I don't think they will ever be perfect.

The reason is, is that they are at different angles, and one is close to smaller, higher pitched toms as secondary resonant cavities, my rt kick is near larger, deeper toms. My right kick will always sound a little bigger and deeper.

With less toms, it's easier, but the kicks are still at different angles with respect to your ears and seating position.

It really has to come down to what MFB said: same heads, same tension.

NUTHA JASON
12-20-2005, 02:23 PM
if you've spent the money on the drums you may as well spend a tad more on the sound. buy a tension watch from tama. this is about as accurate as you might get. some bass guitar tuners might help as well.

like most people say get them similar but don't worry if they are slightly different as this will make for more musical variety particularly where you are playing paradiddles and double stroke rolls etc.

j

mediocrefunkybeat
12-20-2005, 02:28 PM
If you're really concerned about the sound and want them absolutely exact; then you're going to have to go for broke and get triggers. Triggers and a MIDI module will cost you, but nowadays a lot of metal drummers trigger their bass drums partly due to difficulties in tuning them the same.

Thinshells
12-20-2005, 04:02 PM
if you've spent the money on the drums you may as well spend a tad more on the sound. buy a tension watch from tama. this is about as accurate as you might get. some bass guitar tuners might help as well.

like most people say get them similar but don't worry if they are slightly different as this will make for more musical variety particularly where you are playing paradiddles and double stroke rolls etc.

j

I am contemplating getting one of those. I found that the right head combo is 80% of the battle. I am digging these Aquarians... I am not fighting with a cold/thin sound anymore.

DoubleBassUrFace
01-21-2006, 10:38 PM
What can i do to get the best sound out of my bass drum.

i got a blaket inside, a powerstroke 3 on the front with port hole. and an evans emad batter. The size is 16 deep i think, and 20 diameter.

not to mention it had a tom mount on the top but i took it off. so there are holes in it :(.

Sticksman
01-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Blankets muffle the sound, giving it a more "clicking" noise instead of a booming bass sound. Finding the best head and tuning it like-wise for whatever you like playing is the way to go. That Powerstroke 3 is a good step in that direction, but I would suggest Aquarian's SuperKick II.

drumbig
01-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Thry this, take the blanket out tune the reso head up to med-hi tention and the batter to a med- lo tention.This is not absolute you will have to find the tention combo that works best for your drum and heads but it should get you close. You definately don't need a blanket with an emad but the emad reso might help. Let me knpw if this helps.

hardhitter
01-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Evans Adjustable Dampening EMAD !! That is the best head that I have found! You can adjust the Dampening with the rings on the outside of the head!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Drums/Percussion/Sticks/Accessories?sku=441393

stick platinum
01-22-2006, 01:17 AM
the blanket isn't needed cause of your emad

DoubleBassUrFace
01-22-2006, 02:59 AM
Thry this, take the blanket out tune the reso head up to med-hi tention and the batter to a med- lo tention.This is not absolute you will have to find the tention combo that works best for your drum and heads but it should get you close. You definately don't need a blanket with an emad but the emad reso might help. Let me knpw if this helps.

i did it, i didnt get a good feeling at all, it rang like a soab. it was louder, but i got a bad sound off it, i put the blanket in, got a real good sound, but not loud enough.

the tuning u told me sound great with blanket tho.+

drumbig
01-23-2006, 02:18 AM
O.k try this then. Take the muffle ring your not using on your emad( they come w/2) and attach it to the inside of your reso head with pieces of duct tape. Mabe then you won't need the blanket:) IMO the least amount of muffling you can use to obtain a good sound is desireable. I have absolutely no muffling on any of my drums and my bass drum is completely emty and they sound great.

wooltonboy
01-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Yes, I agree with the "no blanket" theory!
I have been experimenting with my Delite 20" kick, and have come up with the following:
I use an Aquarian Superkick 2 as the batter head, tuned medium-low.
I use a Remo Fiberskyn FA as the reso (for that vintage look), but any regular reso head will do.
I tune the reso head a little higher than the batter, but at the bottom of both heads, I have a rolled up towel taped to the shell, just so it touches each head. I used peel-and-stick weatherstripping to secure the towels, as duct tape leaves a nasty residue, and I didn't want that gooey mess on the inside of the shell.
This little 20" kick now sounds like a cannon, but still has that "thump" due to the slightly dampening towels. This method will work just as well with the EMAD.
This was the sound I was after.
Cheers
Phil

DoubleBassUrFace
01-23-2006, 11:22 PM
idk, when i had the blanket out, no matter how i tuned either head, their was still the son of a bitch ring.

drumbig
01-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Oh yeah one more thing, if you have a completely empty bass drum you can't bury the beater( rest the beater on the head) because all you will hear is the front head ringing.

xkevinx
01-25-2006, 02:39 AM
if you have a powerstroke 3 on there you should be able to get away with very little muffling. i suppose it depends on the sound you're looking for. I would reccomend getting something small to muffle with. a small strip of foam works really well for me, and i play with a evans g1 skin. The tighter your batter skin is, the more ring you're going to get so you might want to try loosening that too. With proper tuning and skins you can usually attain a very natural sound for whatever you're looking for with very minimal muffling. good luck!

Stu_Strib
01-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Try a pillow that barely touches both heads. If that is too dampening, then try two evans pillows, one on each head ($60 though, for something that can be done for free with pillows around the house).

I personally like the feel of a pillow stuff inside, but like the sound of an open bass drum, so there is no happy medium for me. I constantly go back and forth. Right now, I'm settling on a medium sized pillow touching both heads (Evans Emad and Evans Eq3 w/port). It has a good feel, but the bottom is lacking. It would sound killer mic'd up though.

Rhythmic Disciple
01-25-2006, 07:14 PM
I've recently tried an Evans EQ3 coated batter head. Notice I didn't say 'white coated', it's actually a clear head with a coating (which creates a kind of 'frosting' affect so you can't see inside the drum!). I'd never seen anything like it until recently, so I thought I'd give it a bash. Verdict - Exceptional depth and warmth.

The resonant is a white coated EQ3 with 5" port hole.

It all adds up to a nice warm sounding drum with plenty of low-end depth.

Also, I assume you are a DW player? Didn't you get a pillow in the BD? If so, use it!!!

DoubleBassUrFace
01-27-2006, 09:55 PM
I've recently tried an Evans EQ3 coated batter head. Notice I didn't say 'white coated', it's actually a clear head with a coating (which creates a kind of 'frosting' affect so you can't see inside the drum!). I'd never seen anything like it until recently, so I thought I'd give it a bash. Verdict - Exceptional depth and warmth.

The resonant is a white coated EQ3 with 5" port hole.

It all adds up to a nice warm sounding drum with plenty of low-end depth.

Also, I assume you are a DW player? Didn't you get a pillow in the BD? If so, use it!!!

nah dude, i just really like dw, i couldnt afford any-a-that. Im prolly gonna order a custom kit from conaway, which will cost me 2500, either that or from truth. itll cost around the same.

Class A Drummer
01-28-2006, 07:09 AM
if u wanna muffle the sound u can put a pillow a rag t-shirt blanket pretty much anything and it will be a tighter sound. you can also put duct tape possibly... i never tried that but it cud help :D

Keep drummin.

Togg
01-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Get a friend to play the drum while you stand ten feet in front of it, that no pillow ring will make all the difference!

It takes time to get used to but I have always got a better recorded, and live sound without damping.

Stu_Strib
01-31-2006, 12:30 PM
I've recently tried an Evans EQ3 coated batter head. Notice I didn't say 'white coated', it's actually a clear head with a coating (which creates a kind of 'frosting' affect so you can't see inside the drum!).

Oops. I accidentally ordered one of those yesterday. They call it "frosted".

nhzoso
01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Has anyone else tried a metal patch? I put one on my crappy stock head and it had a nice effect. Still not where I want it but much better than just a hole and towels. Towels muffle the ring but the metal beater patch makes up for any loss. Next item for me is an aquarian sk-II. Might want to try that think it cost me about $6

toolskid
01-31-2006, 01:57 PM
you can try a rolled towel gaffa'ed tight! Then place it in a low smile shape against the batter head inside the drum. This minimal dampening can be really effective!

jollymosher
02-24-2006, 07:46 PM
please help me i can get my snare and toms to sound good or great, but not my bass drum please give me ideas of what to do (thomas lang has the sound im looking for... (veiw the viddys on this site) i am using an emad front, a stock batter and an iron cobra.

Gear_Head
03-02-2006, 07:14 PM
I think his bass sounded great, I would be interested in the responses as well.
Ryan

ernehudspe
05-13-2006, 06:38 AM
If you want a slappy sound, then tune the head as low as it goes, but still has a slight tone. You'll probably see a couple wrinkles in the head, but don't overdo it.

Tune the front head low too, but then up a little bit more than the batter side. I like it to it to have a nice tone.

Then for muffling, depending on the size of your bass drum, I would use one pillow that bareley touches both heads. If you can't find one that barely touches, try having it barely touch the batter head, and most of it touching the front head.

I use EQ2 clear heads with a ported EQ3 head on front. Right now I'm using an Emad, and no muffling on that side, then the evans pillow on the front head.

Hope this helps.
Yes Stu, ( I always look for your tips and use them quite often, I'm not ashamed of stealing good ideas....lol) Something else you might want to try! tune per the information above, take the pillow out and roll up a small towel and stuff it between your bass drum pedal and your batter head. For me this works very well for a tight sounding but somewhat singing bass drum...Buddy

harryconway
05-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I find I don't have to use pillows for a nice punchy sound. I also don't use the ported kick drum head. I find that the hole really effects the sound of the kick drum. If you use a Powerstroke 3 for a batter head and Aquarian force 2 on the front. You can have a louder punch sound. I think the pillow makes your drum sound smaller.
I'm with Superlow on tryin' to keep pillows and laundry out of the kick. I run a clear Powerstroke3 batter and an ebony Powerstroke3 reso. on my 20x14 and I get a real tight and punchy sound out of that drum.

Theo
05-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey...i would like to share with you something that has been playing on my mind for a long time.

For the record i own a Sonor 20x17.5 Birch Bass Drum.

I have been checking the forum for bass drum tuning threads and i have found that a lot of people really dig the batter side tuned really low just until the wrinkles go.

On my kit which i just got...i have tuned both the batter and reso head extremely tight...as tight as i could...I found that this gives the bass drum a really REALLY good BOOM! No pillow and no hole in the front. I have never recorded this kind of setup though and i am wondering if it would sound like crap.

I am thinking of detuning the batter head completely just so the wrinkles go...and leaving the reso extremely tight the way i have it now, and adding a pillow inside the bass drum so the edges touch both heads. Do you think this would be a good idea? I keep thinking i must be missing something since everyone detunes their batter head so much.

Also...do you have any other ideas how i could create a good BOOM sound suitable for funk, r&b, really tight pocket kind of stuff? Keep in mind i have no hole in my reso.

Thanks.

konaboy
05-13-2006, 08:29 PM
What kind of heads are you using? I like the Aquarian Superkick series batter heads. No need for anything in the drum for muffling, the head just booms.

I guess the real question is why do you want to tune your head lower if it sounds good the way you have it. If what you have tuned is working for you it doesn't really matter how everyone else does it. Keep in mind everyones taste for sound is totally different and so are their kits. If you tune the batter down and leave the reso tight you'll probably not get the depth and punch you are looking for, I would keep them both in the same tuning range. The reso a little tighter is one thing but if you have it cranked up tight it will probably ring alot and not give you that short fast punch.

I wouldn't say people detune their heads, they actually tune them to that wrinkle free point originally.

ege_the_drummer
05-13-2006, 09:08 PM
I know how you feel Theo. I had the same problem.

What I did was I got a Remo Powerstroke 3 w/ the falam patch on it and tuned it relativley low. Then, I tuned the reso head about medium loose and muffled about 30% of the bottom portion of both heads. When I first tried it I got an incredible punch for it and I havent touched the tuning since! Hope this helps!

IDDrummer
05-13-2006, 10:01 PM
I find that, unmic'd, the higher tuning sounds better, giving good projection and a fuller sound. In mic'd situations I like the lower note that a looser head produces (and the mic provides the roundness and punch). I never tune mine quite so low it wrinkles, though. I like to hear a defined, clean tone.

The reso tighter than the batter can work very well, though you may have to work to find the optimum relationship between the pitches of the two heads. Have fun!

tmc
05-17-2006, 10:59 PM
8< snip snp snip >8
Also...do you have any other ideas how i could create a good BOOM sound suitable for funk, r&b, really tight pocket kind of stuff? Keep in mind i have no hole in my reso.

Thanks.

Hey Theo.

In a mic'ed situation, mic placement can make a pretty big difference in your bass drum's sound. Try everything you can think of, mic inside, outside, near the batter, further away from the batter, one mic inside, and another outside, etc.

I have no hole in my reso, and I have the heads tuned really low (just past finger-tight) with a small pillow inside barely touching both heads. My mic is inside the bass drum about 12" from the batter head pointed, more or less, at where the beater hits. I get a nice punchy sound (a little like Neil Peart's bass drum sound), although I'd like to up the attack a little...

-Michael

Pete Stoltman
05-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Just thought I'd share a little story with you guys. I've been playing drums for thirty eight years and think I have a pretty good handle on how to make my drums sound good. This weekend I was playing a gig and as we were setting up the guy who runs sound asked to hear my bass drum. He was standing right in front of me, no mikes on yet and in fact my set wasn't even completely set up. I hit the bass a couple times and he immediately said "oh that's going to be way too boomy, can you muffle it or shove a blanket in it?" I told him I would take care of the "boominess" and that he would love the sound. I DID NOTHING. I just finished setting up the drums placed the mikes and then told him to go out front and give a listen. Once he was out away from the stage I hit the bass drum and he immediately smiled. "Wow that's perfect, what did you do?" I just told him it was a little drummers trick with some extra tweaking. The point of this story is to not necessarily accept that the sound that is heard is the same as when you are sitting behind or standing directly in front of the drums. If the sound guy had told me it was still too boomy I was prepared to do a little actual tweaking but experience has taught me to trust my ears and know that things have a way of sounding different depending on perspective.

catlover
05-22-2006, 07:41 PM
You are right Pete, the same thing happened to me ! You pointed a real problem playing live gigs : sound engineers dictatorship !!! (more often with drummers !) Would this guy ask a Stradivarius player to fill his violin with foam because it sounds better to his ears???
My drums sound the way I want it to sound, and I never let a sound guy tell me how they should !

Pete Stoltman
05-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah Catlover, those Strads just have too much sustain! Once you've learned how to get good sounds from your instruments trust your ears guys. Sound techs are supposed to help you sound good, not the other way around. Of course this all assumes that you, in fact, can get your drums to sound good to begin with. Drums produce lots of overtones and frequencies that techies hate dealing with. Good tuning and proper mike placement will take care of most sound issues.

groovemaster_flex
06-07-2006, 07:55 PM
wasnt sure wut forum to put this in, so i put it in this one.

how do you have your bass drum tuned? loose, tight? do u stick a blanket or a pillow inside of it? do you have a hole cut in the skin?

thoughts, opinions, ideas, all are welcome =)

cdrums21
06-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Try the search button for bass drum tuning and/or bass/kick drum heads, as well as looking at the thread "cutting a hole in the bass drum". There should be enough info in all of those posts to get the answer you're looking for.

groovemaster_flex
06-09-2006, 07:42 PM
almost forgot about this thread...

actually it the general idea of this thread wasnt on me getting tips on tuning drums, it was just how people tune their own drums... personal preferences.. a general discussion, not giving someone advice on tuning.

Drummer Karl
06-09-2006, 08:09 PM
I have my bass drum tuned pretty tight for a jazzy boomy sound, havn`t got holes or something like a carpet in it. I have a 22x18" bass drum.

Karl

tentpole
06-09-2006, 08:10 PM
I tune mine a bit loose.I don't have a hole in it.I have 2 blankets in it,a big one and a smaller one.

groovemaster_flex
06-09-2006, 08:11 PM
i have a 20x16 bass drum. nothing inside it, no hole, tuned so low you can almost see the wrinkles on the skins.

harryconway
06-09-2006, 09:17 PM
My 20x14 has a P3 clear batter and an ebony P3 reso. No port and wide open (no laundry inside). Nice tight sound. My 26x14 has a P3 clear batter and an ebony Ambassador reso. with a HOLZ port. It too is wide open. Total rock boomer, just like it was made to be. My 28x14 has the same head set up as the 26, but a small block of foam glued to the shell that touches the batter head for a little more sound control. Super boomer.

On The Real
06-19-2006, 05:44 AM
I play an 18"x22" Tama Rockstar Custom bass drum.
Although i've tuned it with a Drumdial, it doesnt seem to cut it for me.
Im looking for a better sound, somthing like Thomas Langs bass drum off Creative Control.

If anyone can help me, that would be great.
-Thanks

moe.ron
06-19-2006, 05:51 AM
i found the drum dial tunes drums a little higher than i want so maybe you need to take it down alittle. plus i don't think you'll be able to get thomas sound that easily, i think he has a rather large bassdrum but i'm not sure.

jayhawkdrummer
06-19-2006, 05:53 AM
Just experiment until you find that sound your after. Find out what heads he uses (head selection makes a big,big difference in sound) as well as if he ports the front head or not (that can make a big difference). Also, since you have the drumdial (i have one also, amazing) experiment with different tensions. Your never going to sound exactly like him (especially since your using completely different drum sets) but you should be able to get what your looking for.

Hope that helps

harryconway
06-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Once you make a drum head selection, you'll probably have to compromise the Thomas Lang sound a bit. Work more with making the Rockstar sound as good as it can.

atomicsoy
07-18-2006, 02:57 PM
hey, i just bouhgt a m series kit. im trying hard to tune the bass, gee its so hard to get the sound i wanted.. i want a deep bassy sound from it. it had the original heads, which is a remo 1 ply muffed on both sides. then i took off my powerstroke 3 from the old drums n put it on... cant get the deep sound.

so my question is, can someone help me how to tune it up? i followed the steps in the tuning bible, but cat get there... how should i tune it?

oh and how much pillow stuff to put IN it?

Stu_Strib
07-18-2006, 05:15 PM
For me, bass drums are completely different than tuning toms.

I've always had the best success with tuning the front bass drum as low as it goes then up a turn or two on each lugh. Then I tune the batter head as slack as it goes before it wrinkles and becomes dead. That gives the lowest fundamental pitch without sounding like cardboard, and without booming and boinging and needing muffling.

I use Emad coated and EQ3 coated heads.

Stu

atomicsoy
07-19-2006, 04:51 AM
so muffing (putting pilow and stuff inside) is not neccesary? does the resonant side realy affects the sound?

Bruce M. Thomson
07-26-2006, 08:24 PM
This is my first post.There was a drummer who was not happy with his Bass drum sound, he was using an Emad batter head on a 22". There were a few responses and they were all correct.
A)Tightning often improves over loosening
B) I like tune the bass to an E as well, it works.
C) You really need to match the Emad head with it's resonet Partner
D) Your pedal could be the problem, not the tuning.
and finally, don't fuss too much, I have many times in the past and it has often turned out that I made the wrong tuning decision, once that bass player kicks in much of what you thought was bothering you dissappears.
These are things I have picked up from other drummers and salespeople over the years but I never got the advice all at once. This a great site and look forward to reading the various post's

komodo
07-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Howdya remove impact badges

xX5thQuarterXx
12-28-2006, 06:35 AM
Hey guys so i just picked up a PDP LX 6 piece. I have no complaints about it besides the kick drum. I put the small PDP pillow in it, that didnt work. Then i put foam about an inch think all the way around the inside of the drum.

Is there anything you guys to to keep the ringing down. Any tunning ideas i might be doing wrong?

fourstringdrums
12-28-2006, 06:43 AM
Get new pre-muffled bass drum heads. On the PDP I recommend the Evans EMAD or an Evans EQ3 (or 4 I can't remember which). Until then I would put a regular bead pillow in it although that will probably be too much muffling. The supplied pillow with the stock heads didn't do much when I first got the PDP set either.

xX5thQuarterXx
12-28-2006, 07:45 AM
I orgot to mention i have the EMAD2 With the bigger of the 2 muffling rings on

maddrummr
12-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Well i own a pacific and i had to tune the bass drum tighter (with the stock head) on both sides to get a decent sound. I only used the pillow they gave me and i got a sound that i could live with.
Now my uncle got me a Remo Ambassador bass head. Im not totally satisfied but it will do. I tuned both sides real low and got a sound similar to bonhams bass sound in When the levee breaks. I like the sound but its not something that i will keep permanantly.
Just my 2 cents

osamasgoat5467
12-30-2006, 12:00 PM
If you want to stop ring completely with new heads you want an Evans EQ3 with one or even two EQ pads on the batter. For resonant head go with a head like an EQ3 that has a hole in it or for even less resonance a Retro Screen. To keep your EMAD 2 and get the sound you want get one or two EQ pads. For more attack get AF Patches.

Ludface
04-03-2007, 06:09 PM
well i just got the accent bonham set from ludwig and im kind of dis pleased i put remo heads on the toms and i just cant get a good sound out of them, or maybe im just not very good at tuning, do u guys ahve any tips for tuning or some answers to my problems? thanks, also i would like to know how you guys tune your bass drums i was having some problem with that too

bighaibigdrums
04-03-2007, 10:59 PM
What Remo heads and what sound do you want.

Ludface
04-04-2007, 12:22 AM
i got remo emperors on all of them, and i love the bonham sound so im trying to get that sound, i got a good sound out of my supra phonic snare but im having some trouble with the other ones

bermuda
04-04-2007, 12:41 AM
You need to understand that Bonham's sound - almost any drummer's sound - has more to do with how the drums were mic'd, ambience, compression, and eq. You can't expect an acoustic kit to sound that way by itself.

But there's no reason the drums can't sound great, and the Accent kits I've played sound quite nice. But the drum sounds you hear on most recordings are processed to various extents, and those drums rarely sound that way in person.

Bermuda

harryconway
04-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Check out the Jeff Ocheltree video "Trust Your Ears". He was John Bonham's drum tech. and in the DVD he runs thru the whole "how to tune like J.B." . Also remember, he wasn't playing a Ludwig Accent kit either. http://www.answers.com/topic/john-bonham You should be able to get "in the "ballpark" close, but close is as good as it's gonna get. Emperors over Ambassadors is certainly a fine place to start. I drive a Ludwig 26x14 6 ply kick and I run a clear Powerstroke3 batter and a ebony Ambassador with HOLZ port reso.

sharky 007
04-04-2007, 12:53 AM
What heads are on your kick?

pcmckay
04-04-2007, 06:15 AM
What I do with my kit is I have Coated Evans G2's on the batter side, same head as the Coated Emperors. I have Coated Ambassadors on the bottom, a Coated Emperor on the batter side of the bass drum and a Medium weight smooth white Ludwig script head on the reso side. I personally would stay away from Power stoke heads or any head with a pre muffling system for the bass drum. The 14"x26" bass drum sounds so much better with just felt strips, very Bonham sounding.
The same priciple will apply to all of the drums, tune the resonant side way up and the batter side at about a medium tension. On the bass drum keep the front head solid and put a felt strip vertically on the right or left side your preference. On the batter side I put the felt strip along the bottom about 4" from where the beater strikes the head. Tune the front side way up, it's about 85 on a drum dial. The batter side about 78-80 on a drum dial. Same goes for the toms 85 on reso side 78-80 on the batter side. This gives me a very powerful boomy Bonzo type of sound out of my drums. On the snare same priciple, snare head way up and the batter side about medium or a little higher. Make sure your snares are not choked, you want a very "snarey" sound so you don't lose sensitivity. Good Luck, I hope this works for you. I love the sound that I am getting from my drums. Remember for the bass drum you have to tune it a lot higher then what you would think because of the size of the drum, you are moving a lot of air so you can't tune it loose like a smaller bass drum it just sounds like a wet paper bag if you do.

pcmckay
04-04-2007, 06:32 AM
I also want to mention that tuning your bass drum with a more open tuning will take some time to get used to. It is a completely different feel then a bass drum that is really muffled with a port hole. You need to let the beater graze the head to get the full sound of the drum, you can also dig in the beater which results in a powerful boom. The great thing about playing a large drum like this is you can achieve many different tones out of one drum, it's been a lot of fun experimenting with different sounds.

Ludface
04-04-2007, 07:45 AM
hey thanks for all the advice i wish i could try that right now but im currently waiting for some replacement lugs for my bass and my rack tom, but one more thing. 85 for a reso seems awfully high i mean it says on the tuning chart for it to be at around 75 for a tom and around 80 for a bass, it also gets really hard to tighten at that high maybe because i have only 6 lugs on my tom but i donno, but i just dont want to tear one of the heads again that just adds another pain, o yea these felt strips do u jus but it like between the head and the rim? and do u buy specific felt or just whatever, thanks man this is a big help

pcmckay
04-06-2007, 08:03 AM
You can try to find felt strips at a music store but I have found that they don't have felt strips that would fit a 26" bass drum unless you special order them. The second option which I did is go to any fabric sewing center and buy heavy duty white felt. They will cut the felt to the sizes that you need. I would buy a yard of felt and have them cut two pieces 26" long and about 4" wide. Take the head off of the bass drum and rest the felt strip on the bearing edge of the drum. Then put the head over the felt strip and finger tighten the tension rods enough so the it holds the felt strip in place. While the tension rods are still loose adjust the felt strip where you want it. Then crank down the tension rods and tune the drum.
Then you cut the excess felt about an inch and a half from the hoop of the drum head. I hope this works out for you.

pcmckay
04-06-2007, 08:22 AM
My rack tom is a 10"x14" which has eight lugs. On the Jeff Ochletree video he talks about how Bonzo's bottom head on his rack tom sounded like a "snare drum being tuned" it was so high pitched. I have the same size rack tom as he did on his green sparkle kit. Is your tom a 10"x14" ? If it is smaller it may not sound right because this tuning method is for oversized drums. If it doesn't have the same amount of lugs maybe it can't be tuned that high. I would try to get it as close as possible without damaging the drum. Go to the Bonham page on this web site and they have the Ochletree video clip about Bonham's tuning method.

sharky 007
04-06-2007, 04:05 PM
You will have trouble tuning the 13' with the 6 lugs make it harder I found.If your kick has the ludwig clear batter and white reso, my batter side is not tuned high but the reso side is tuned up a bit higher no felt strips and no hole in the reso head.The kick sounds amazing I wish I could get my 24' Sonor to sound like this.

Ludface
04-06-2007, 07:35 PM
You can try to find felt strips at a music store but I have found that they don't have felt strips that would fit a 26" bass drum unless you special order them. The second option which I did is go to any fabric sewing center and buy heavy duty white felt. They will cut the felt to the sizes that you need. I would buy a yard of felt and have them cut two pieces 26" long and about 4" wide. Take the head off of the bass drum and rest the felt strip on the bearing edge of the drum. Then put the head over the felt strip and finger tighten the tension rods enough so the it holds the felt strip in place. While the tension rods are still loose adjust the felt strip where you want it. Then crank down the tension rods and tune the drum.
Then you cut the excess felt about an inch and a half from the hoop of the drum head. I hope this works out for you.

so when u put the strip in do u have both ends resting on the bearing edge? or do you just have the other end just hang loosely in the bass drum?

nickg
04-06-2007, 08:18 PM

i've seen felt strips listing for about $6.00 online.

i went to the fabric store and had them cut some felt for me, enough for two strips.

total cost: 82 cents!!!!!

i forgot how great it sounded (and felt) to have a non-ported head with just a felt strip on front and back!!

pcmckay
04-08-2007, 08:11 AM
so when u put the strip in do u have both ends resting on the bearing edge? or do you just have the other end just hang loosely in the bass drum?

I put the felt strip across the drum so both ends are resting on the bearing edge and it will droop in the middle. Then put on the bass drum head and pull both ends of the felt strip at the same time so that it tightens up against the bass drum head. At this point you start finger tightening the tension rods or you can use a drum key but don't crank down just yet because you still have to adjust the felt strip to make it even.

Budiesel
04-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Hey guys, sorry again if this has been in a previous thread, but to those of you that have a 24" bass drum, should I tune the head (Aquarian Super Kick 2) higher or lower to get a really punchy sound?

Mendozart
04-10-2007, 09:22 AM
I started off lower on the batter and medium on the reso. But, during a gig I brought the batter to medium and tightened the reso a little more, and the drum really came alive. I have an 18"x24" DW keller shell with an SKII batter and PS3 ebony reso.

Budiesel
04-10-2007, 09:37 AM
What kind of music do you play?

harryconway
04-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I'll support my esteemed colleague Mendozart's call on the ebony Powerstroke3 as a reso. head, if you want a punchy sound. I had a 20x14 with a clear P3 batter and an ebony P3 reso. Punch you silly. Since you have a SKII batter already, ebony P3 reso. should punch you into tomorrow. I drive a 26x14, and am going for a more resonant/open sound. But if I wanted to go punchy, I'd do the ebony P3 reso. on it.

Mendozart
04-10-2007, 07:44 PM
What kind of music do you play?

I play a wide variety of music, but mainly blues/rock. Anything from Hendrix to SRV to Grateful Dead to Zeppelin, whatever the gig calls for.

Mendozart
04-10-2007, 07:46 PM
I'll support my esteemed colleague Mendozart's call on the ebony Powerstroke3 as a reso. head, if you want a punchy sound. I had a 20x14 with a clear P3 batter and an ebony P3 reso. Punch you silly. Since you have a SKII batter already, ebony P3 reso. should punch you into tomorrow. I drive a 26x14, and am going for a more resonant/open sound. But if I wanted to go punchy, I'd do the ebony P3 reso. on it.

So what do you run on your 26"?

harryconway
04-10-2007, 09:03 PM
So what do you run on your 26"?

Clear P3 batter and a ebony Ambassador with HOLZ port reso.

Budiesel
04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Have you ever had any experience, or heard anything good or bad about the Aquarian Regulator Reso head? How would that compare with the P3 reso?

kmbop40
04-11-2007, 06:07 AM
I just recently tuned up both of my 24's "73 ludwigs) with SKII and they are very punchy and much better sounding than they did before, tuned low and sloppy, I have the stock resos on there, with a 6 or 7 inch centered hole, curtosy my dad as an impressionable teenager in the 70's.

back to the point, I also use a plastic beater-(dw)

The Ploughman
04-11-2007, 06:35 AM
77 Rogers 14x24 PS3 Batter, no pad, Iron cobra pedal, felt beater, Fiberskyn 3 Medium Resonant with Vintage Shield Logo, Rogers Logo, tuning tight enough to hold a solid hit. No muffling.

Cymbalrider
04-15-2007, 07:54 PM
How they used to tune big drums: Tighter on the res side, felt strips work great for muffling. If you have the fancy new heads then try tuning it up a bit but stay reasonably low.

drumtechdad
07-09-2007, 02:46 AM
Now that I'm teching for my son rather than myself, I've discovered what a few here have said: that the sound from the driver's seat is nothing like the sound from the audience.

Further, I find that a lot of drummers want their bd to sound like their favorite recording--from the driver's seat. They make their bd very dead with pillows, etc. In the unmiked situation this is guaranteed to make the bd nearly inaudible from the audience.

An unmuffled bd carries and cuts through the band much better. Have someone play the drum and listen from a distance--the difference is night and day.

With pre-muffled heads today you can dispense with the blankets and pillows. FWIW I use PS3s on batter and reso (unported) with the batter tuned just above wrinkle and the reso tuned so it gives a nice tone a bit higher than that. Lots of folks get good results with other heads and tuning methods.

For miked situations we keep a ported PS3 reso on hand, as well as a rolled-up towel just in case. Many inexperienced sound guys just cannot handle an unported reso and rather than argue (or have them eyeing the reso with a box cutter in hand) we give them what they want. (They're responsible for how you're going to sound and there's no profit in pissing them off.) Still, no pillows or blankets, they're just not necessary in most cases. We might put the rolled up towel against the reso if they still complain of boominess.

Still, the most important lesson I've learned from being on the other side of the drum kit is let your drums ring if you're playing unmiked. It sounds better and carries better, too.

ghuyuiq
07-15-2007, 01:49 PM
This sounds a little stupid, but I find I get the best sound out of my export bass drum by tuning both heads as tight as possible, and I don't use pillows or a porthole... The batter is a PS4, the reso is the original pearl head. Don't know how it sounds miced though...

aydee
07-17-2007, 08:33 PM
For me, bass drums are completely different than tuning toms.

I've always had the best success with tuning the front bass drum as low as it goes then up a turn or two on each lugh. Then I tune the batter head as slack as it goes before it wrinkles and becomes dead. That gives the lowest fundamental pitch without sounding like cardboard, and without booming and boinging and needing muffling.

I use Emad coated and EQ3 coated heads.

Stu

Hi, I just got a Yamaha Absolute Maple Custom, which came with a PS 3 stock head which sounded 'decent'. Having tried a EMAD on an oak Custom earlier, I tried that on my 22" BD, and I cant get it to not sound 'clicky'. I've tried going high & low on both sides. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

fourstringdrums
07-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi, I just got a Yamaha Absolute Maple Custom, which came with a PS 3 stock head which sounded 'decent'. Having tried a EMAD on an oak Custom earlier, I tried that on my 22" BD, and I cant get it to not sound 'clicky'. I've tried going high & low on both sides. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

If you want more "click" I'd use a plastic or a wood beater, or at the extreme a Danmar bass pad with a metal disc and a wood beater.

aydee
07-18-2007, 06:41 AM
If you want more "click" I'd use a plastic or a wood beater, or at the extreme a Danmar bass pad with a metal disc and a wood beater.

thanks, but I meant 'NOT clicky'.

fourstringdrums
07-18-2007, 07:44 AM
thanks, but I meant 'NOT clicky'.

Oh woops, I misread. Yeah I found the EMAD to have alot of attack no matter what I did. Are you using a felt beater? That might help some.

aydee
07-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Oh woops, I misread. Yeah I found the EMAD to have alot of attack no matter what I did. Are you using a felt beater? That might help some.
Yes, am using a felt beater ( Pearl Eliminators). Am curious to know if the EMAD, because of its plastic muffling sleeve, has a naturally 'clicky' thud compared to some of the other heads.
thanks,

fourstringdrums
07-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Yes, am using a felt beater ( Pearl Eliminators). Am curious to know if the EMAD, because of its plastic muffling sleeve, has a naturally 'clicky' thud compared to some of the other heads.
thanks,

That very well could be. You might want to try the coated version. I found that to not be as clicky.

NIMBY
07-22-2007, 06:36 AM
im having a bit of trouble with tuning my bass drum, i would like it to be louder but i cant seem to find the right setting for it.

if anyone knows anything that could help, post your ideas so i can finally be happy with my bass drum sound

somedrummer
07-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Try removing some of the muffling, if it's heavily muffled. Otherwise, you can tune it higher so that it cuts through more. I tune my bass (With EMAD/EQ3 Reso) fairly high, and use only the small muffling ring on the EMAD, nothing else. I tried the wide ring, but found that it made the bass really quiet, so the thin ring is perfect for me. Obviously if you use a different bass head you'll have to find some configuration that works for you, but there's a few examples of things that might help.

Also, see the tuning bible in my sig vvvvv

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ
07-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Are you propping the front end of the kick up with the spurs? That will help. It also depends on the room. I use the Superkick II / EQ3 combo, with res side tuned real low (not far above wrinkle) and the batter side a bit tight. That works well for my music room, but I haven't found the sweet spot for other rooms yet.

NIMBY
07-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Are you propping the front end of the kick up with the spurs? That will help. It also depends on the room. I use the Superkick II / EQ3 combo, with res side tuned real low (not far above wrinkle) and the batter side a bit tight. That works well for my music room, but I haven't found the sweet spot for other rooms yet.

yeh im using the spurs. the rooms full of different things so i think it could just be the room.
thanks for the advice though

Trip McNealy
07-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Try removing some of the muffling, if it's heavily muffled. Otherwise, you can tune it higher so that it cuts through more. I tune my bass (With EMAD/EQ3 Reso) fairly high, and use only the small muffling ring on the EMAD, nothing else. I tried the wide ring, but found that it made the bass really quiet, so the thin ring is perfect for me. Obviously if you use a different bass head you'll have to find some configuration that works for you, but there's a few examples of things that might help.

Also, see the tuning bible in my sig vvvvv

same heads and ring i use on my kick.. excellent combo.

Les Ismore
07-25-2007, 08:49 PM
im having a bit of trouble with tuning my bass drum, i would like it to be louder but i cant seem to find the right setting for it.

if anyone knows anything that could help, post your ideas so i can finally be happy with my bass drum sound

What kind of heads do you have on it?

That Guy
07-26-2007, 12:14 AM
You might find this thread to be useful -----------------> http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169&highlight=bass+drum+tuning

Its called the "Bass Drum Tuning Thread."

NIMBY
07-26-2007, 12:39 PM
i tried out that Professor Sound's Tuning Bible and tuned my bass to be more punchy and now im ecstatic at the sound i have, its so crisp and punchs straight through.

appledrummer
09-21-2007, 03:00 AM
I have heard that RC bass drums sound like s**t but i know this is not the case. I had my bass drum counding awesome, but then I replaced the eads with the same exact ones (super kick 2 and regulator) and it really is lacking bass and there is too much plasticy sound. I like loose tunings. How would I go about tuning this?

harryconway
09-21-2007, 05:58 AM
My RC was a 22x17, and the stock Yamaha reso. head had way too much hole in it for my tastes. I ran an ebony Ambassador reso. (had one ported with a HOLZ and one sans port) and either a clear Powerstroke 3 or a clear Pinstripe batter.

Skitch
09-22-2007, 05:15 AM
My RC was a 22x17, and the stock Yamaha reso. head had way too much hole in it for my tastes. I ran an ebony Ambassador reso. (had one ported with a HOLZ and one sans port) and either a clear Powerstroke 3 or a clear Pinstripe batter.

I heard that the Pinstripe head was initially designed for these drums. Or were these drums designed for the Pinstripe heads in mind? Do you know anything like this rumor to be true?

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

harryconway
09-23-2007, 12:51 AM
I've heard many rumors, and I think that is one of them. My "research" places the Pinstripe head to be born somewhere around 1973. http://www.mikejamesjazz.com/instruments.html I've read that here, and elsewhere. The Yamaha RC was introduced in 1981 http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/about/history.asp For a drum manufacturer to "design" a line of drums "specific" to a particular head type and/or even a head manufacturer seems a little far fetched. Like putting all your eggs in one basket.

Skitch
09-24-2007, 08:50 AM
I've heard many rumors, and I think that is one of them. My "research" places the Pinstripe head to be born somewhere around 1973. http://www.mikejamesjazz.com/instruments.html I've read that here, and elsewhere. The Yamaha RC was introduced in 1981 http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/about/history.asp For a drum manufacturer to "design" a line of drums "specific" to a particular head type and/or even a head manufacturer seems a little far fetched. Like putting all your eggs in one basket.

I would agree with what you said but this sems to be a prevalent rumor. Maybe the bearing edge was cut to take advantage of the the drumhead - and I am just speculating here.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

harryconway
09-24-2007, 09:13 AM
As rumors go, yes, I'll agree. But, I'll believe it when I see either info. published from Remo or from Yamaha. I sometimes spend way too much time chasing "real" ghosts, I don't need to spend an inordinant amount of time chasing "imagined" ones.

Vbs
09-27-2007, 07:03 PM
I've just changed my old batter head and put on my newly acquired EMAD2 today. The trouble is that I lack the knowledge and experience to tune but a few days ago I've read up a little on the Drum Bible. Some of the explainations are easy to understand and some are not, so basicly, I just followed in accordance to what I understood. Now my bass drum sounds really bad, although I've not finished tuning it yet. It sounds...fat? With excessive overtones? I don't really know how to explain. I just don't know where to proceed from this point onwards. All I know is that this good bass head is suffering from my bad tuning XD

Any advices?

ps. I like metal btw

aydee
09-27-2007, 07:12 PM
this should help..............................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHABZtDxRTE

Steady Freddy
09-27-2007, 08:43 PM
If you're getting a plasticy slap sound the head needs to come up in tension. The premuffled heads like the Super kicks and EMADs tend to sound really dead at low tensions.

With the EMAD remove the muffling ring and bring the tension up until you hear a clear tone, not just a dull thud. Make sure the tone is consistent at all the tension rods. Do the same with the reso head.

Once you've done that try both the large and small muffling rings to get the right amount of dampening. The drum should resonate with the rings removed. If you like the way the batter head feels. but don't like the pitch you can tension up or down the reso head to change that. This may also effect the feel somewhat.

If you use a drum dial 77 - 80 should get you in the ball park. The drum will sound deeper in pitch out front than it dose behind kit. I've messed with these heads a lot and this is what works for me. I won't claim it to be perfect, but it will produce a decent sound and feel.

brennenlesser
09-27-2007, 09:28 PM
i usually only finiger tighten my kick drum heads. I then mic inside the kick drum close to the shell pointing at the beater at an angle then scooping the mids from the board keeping lows and highs default and cranking the volume a bit louder than usual for my band.

siiicckkk clicky, powerful, great for metal-hxc-grindcore

stasz
09-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Free the bass drums! I finally took the pillow out of my kick and it's much more open, sounds so much better. My parents upstairs also noticed the difference in sound (my dad said his computer chair was rumbling from the noise :P). I'm looking into something like the Evans EQ pad to help control some of the overtones, and shorten the sustain so I still get the boom without too much rumbling.

Bruce M. Thomson
10-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I use the Evans EQ pad and it works great, I recommend it.

spartacus1989
10-10-2007, 09:11 PM
it completly depends on taste on how you tune your bass drum. Progressive drummers like Mike Portnoy and Neil Peart have their bass drums at a very low tuning and hardly any dampening. Were as jazz drummers use a fair bit of dampening and higher tuning.

tiffanyl
11-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Hi, i'm currently not happy with how my bass drum sounds so i wanted to experiment with new sounds. Hopefully you guys can help

1) How do people tune their kick drum so they get a nice, rich, boom sound when they hit it?

2) How do people tune their kick so they get a click sound? For example listen to Jeff Kummer the drummer in this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er_yYzd7NUo

Thanks for your help in advance

aydee
11-24-2007, 07:33 PM
look up bass drum tuning in search. Tons of threads already..

tiffanyl
11-24-2007, 08:15 PM
To aydee: thanks for telling me but i already did that before posting.

My question was how to get particular sounds, not how to muffle or which skins to buy. I actually want to get a click or a boom which I cant seem to get on my kick.The other threads mostly talked about rough tuning and muffling and what skins to choose.

Someone said using a wooden beater would help get a click, but is there a particular way of tuning to enhance the sound?

Could someone tell me how to tune a kick so i get a click or a boom as in tune medium/ tight/ loose? Thank you

6and21
11-24-2007, 09:41 PM
To get a "boom" try tuning the batter and reso head to the same (or close) note/pitch. Not to low though or it will not resonate.
When you do hit the bass drum remember not to leave the beater into the head. Meaning let the beater impact the head then let up on your foot a little so there is no contact between the beater and the head after the impact.

goughy
11-25-2007, 12:07 AM
To get the click years ago I used to use a lot of muffling and had a coin taped to the batter head with gaff tape.

I use a 20x14 so my boom isn't big, but I don't use thick heads on it and one or two pieces of dacron (cortelle) in the bottom for some muffling. I play heel down and don't leave the beater in the head, it bounces off and I use a felt beater too.

driver
11-25-2007, 03:40 AM
Have a look at the vids from Bob Gatzen on here or Youtube. The best vids I have seen about tuning are from that guy he is a legend.

tiffanyl
11-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Okay i'm gonna try it out today. Thanks for your help everyone!

NIMBY
11-25-2007, 11:35 AM
To aydee: thanks for telling me but i already did that before posting.

My question was how to get particular sounds, not how to muffle or which skins to buy. I actually want to get a click or a boom which I cant seem to get on my kick.The other threads mostly talked about rough tuning and muffling and what skins to choose.

Someone said using a wooden beater would help get a click, but is there a particular way of tuning to enhance the sound?

Could someone tell me how to tune a kick so i get a click or a boom as in tune medium/ tight/ loose? Thank you

also you could try Professor Sound's Tuning Bible, its got information on what you have to do to get that exact sound you want, and has information on what woods make what sounds plus anything you want to know about anything about tuning.

it helped me HUGELY

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id6.html.

brotherbaker
12-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I have a set of '65 Slingerland's with a 20" bass drum. I have never been able to tune this drum properly without having to muffle it (pillow) to get a decent sound. Does anyone have any experience with this type of drum that could offer any head combination or general advice? Currently, I have a Remo CS Black Dot on the batter & a Remo Ebony pinstrip on the reso. Thanks for any tips..

Edit - I should mention there is currently NO hole on the reso head.

BringoDingo
12-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Mole skin. or "Moe skin"

Guillermo
12-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Well, first off, using an ebony Pinstripe as resonant on this thinner bass drum might not be a good idea... that's probably a BIG reason why it sounds better without the front head, with no holes and no muffling the sound will be too weird, those two heads react very differently and the sound will be too dry when you have response and too dead when you have that low tone... I bet that's what's happening to you.

You could explore with other ebony heads such as ambassador... or maybe putting a hole in front and some minimal muffling... if you don't want muffling, I'd suggest using another batter head, maybe one with dampers such as EMAD and also a soft beater.

fourstringdrums
12-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Your head choice is your first problem. Having a 1-ply batter with a 2-ply resonant is not a good combination. It should be the other way around.

For a vintage bass I would personally put two single-ply heads like an Ambassador on both sides, and use a felt strip to muffle both.

brotherbaker
12-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys. I knew that the head choice was an issue. I appreciate the feedback.

fourstringdrums
12-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys. I knew that the head choice was an issue. I appreciate the feedback.

Your current head should could work too for the time being, just switch the heads. Put a felt strip on the front head if it rings too much.

brotherbaker
12-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Your current head should could work too for the time being, just switch the heads. Put a felt strip on the front head if it rings too much.

Can't, see attached. :-(

This head was a gift (with my initials). I am thinking of changing the batter head & cutting a hole in the reso. I am hoping that will work nicely. You think the EMAD would be a good choice as Guillermo suggested ?

fourstringdrums
12-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Can't, see attached. :-(

This head was a gift (with my initials). I am thinking of changing the batter head & cutting a hole in the reso. I am hoping that will work nicely. You think the EMAD would be a good choice as Guillermo suggested ?

Yes the EMAD is a great head, but I would still be wary of using a 2 ply as the resonant, especially if you cut a hole in it. You may wind up with a dead sounding drum.

harryconway
12-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Being a Remo guy, my first batter choice would probably be a Powerstroke 3. Ambassador, Controlled Sound, Emperor, and Pinstripe as other choices. As much for looks as anything else, I like ebony reso. heads. I'd run an Ambassador weight reso.(if you want some open overtone) or a Powerstroke 3 (combined with a P3 batter, for a real tight, punchy sound) I find 20" kicks really don't need ports, least none that I've ever owned and/or played.

jjmason777
12-21-2007, 04:01 AM
2 Words: Aquarian Superkicks. They are like magic, IMHO.

RudimentalDrummer
12-21-2007, 09:59 AM
I actually got my Remo Fibre Skin last month and I only changed all the Batter to Fibre Skin as some says it will muffler too much of the sound if I have both Fibre skin(except for the Bass Drum - both Batter and Reso are Fibre). This Kit is a 1960s (Made In Japan but not an expensive kit) - the rest of the item eg Pedal, Snare Stands, Hi-Hat Stands I've just got it from ebay last month and the 1960s Pearl Script Badge is from Memphis Drum Shop

Ooops I forgot to add - The Kit came Originally with Acquarian Satin Batter & Reso before I changed it.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/RudimentalDrummer/My%201960s%20Jazz%20Kit/MyTamaGoh1960sJazzKit1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/RudimentalDrummer/My%201960s%20Jazz%20Kit/MyTamaGoh1960sJazzKit6.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/RudimentalDrummer/My%201960s%20Jazz%20Kit/MyTamaGoh1960sJazzKit5.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/RudimentalDrummer/My%201960s%20Jazz%20Kit/MyTamaGoh1960sJazzKit7.jpg

brotherbaker
12-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Being a Remo guy, my first batter choice would probably be a Powerstroke 3. Ambassador, Controlled Sound, Emperor, and Pinstripe as other choices. As much for looks as anything else, I like ebony reso. heads. I'd run an Ambassador weight reso.(if you want some open overtone) or a Powerstroke 3 (combined with a P3 batter, for a real tight, punchy sound) I find 20" kicks really don't need ports, least none that I've ever owned and/or played.

Thanks for the input. I know it's not ideal, but do you see any way that I can make this 2-ply reso head work or do I need to change it completely?

brotherbaker
12-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Yes the EMAD is a great head, but I would still be wary of using a 2 ply as the resonant, especially if you cut a hole in it. You may wind up with a dead sounding drum.

Ouch. So, you don't see any way of keeping this reso head?

fourstringdrums
12-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Ouch. So, you don't see any way of keeping this reso head?

Well you can, just put a 2-ply head on the batter side as well. I'm not a fan of a double 2 ply setup, but it will work. I just wouldn't cut a hole in it.

Pete Stoltman
12-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I play on a 1966 Rogers set with a 20" bass. Not the same, I know, but probably fairly close. Here's what's worked for me. An Aquarian Superkick on the batter side with a Remo Ambassador reso. I have a narrow felt strip on the reso side. For jazz and other gigs when I'm playing completely acoustic this set-up works great. If I'm doing rock, blues, or things when I'm miked up I fold a thick terry-cloth hand towel and place it between the posts of my bass pedal and head. It takes just enough "boominess" out of the drum for close mikes. I've had a good number of drummers ask how I get that bass drum sound because it just seems to work very well. No magic, just a bunch of experimenting to find what works. Good luck.

brotherbaker
12-22-2007, 02:14 AM
I play on a 1966 Rogers set with a 20" bass. Not the same, I know, but probably fairly close. Here's what's worked for me. An Aquarian Superkick on the batter side with a Remo Ambassador reso. I have a narrow felt strip on the reso side. For jazz and other gigs when I'm playing completely acoustic this set-up works great. If I'm doing rock, blues, or things when I'm miked up I fold a thick terry-cloth hand towel and place it between the posts of my bass pedal and head. It takes just enough "boominess" out of the drum for close mikes. I've had a good number of drummers ask how I get that bass drum sound because it just seems to work very well. No magic, just a bunch of experimenting to find what works. Good luck.

Awesome. I was hoping someone had experimented to save me the trouble. :-)
I appreciate the info, looks like I will probably just bite the bullet and replace the reso head as well. Thanks again.

harryconway
12-22-2007, 09:15 AM
I know it's not ideal, but do you see any way that I can make this 2-ply reso head work or do I need to change it completely?
I would hang it on the wall, 'cause it looks cool. I've run 20, 22, 24, 26, and 28 inch kicks and I've never found the Pinstripe head to be a good reso. head. But your ears and my ears, what I like and what you like...? I kinda think you're chasing a ghost on this one, though.

brotherbaker
12-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I would hang it on the wall, 'cause it looks cool. I've run 20, 22, 24, 26, and 28 inch kicks and I've never found the Pinstripe head to be a good reso. head. But your ears and my ears, what I like and what you like...? I kinda think you're chasing a ghost on this one, though.

I thought that is what you'd say. Thanks for the help, hanging it on the wall sounds like the best advise. ;-)

Construct
01-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I want a nice, punchy sound to my kicks, and i hear that loose tuning is the way to go. Any suggestions or advice?

frank0072
01-23-2008, 08:44 PM
punchy= more tight.
if you want it deep and wobbly you should tune loose.

Fett2oo5
01-23-2008, 08:45 PM
What type of sound are you looking for?
(the following are not a standard definition, they are just what I perceive them to be)

Metal ? - LOTS of attack with very short ring and an average low tone?

Warm and low?

Recording? low but with a little faster decay? doesn't ring so much

Very Low rumbling Bass? rings a lot and for a long time

markiet1966
01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Deathkick

The secret to getting a good punchy sound from your bass drum lies in the way that you set up the resonant head. First off set up the batter head with a low to medium tension, what works best will depend on you particular bass drum, drums tend to have a natural range in which they prefer to be tensioned. Tune your reso head as low as possible for your drum and tension it as evenly as possible, this will bring out the tone in the drum.

Most people like/need to have a hole in the reso head and the trick is to make that hole as small as possible, even the difference between a 4" hole and a 6" hole can make a big difference. Make sure that the hole is around 4" and you will find it easy to get a sound that's tight and punchy.

Hope this helps.

Mark

gmrakich
01-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Loose is for fat, wet splatty sound...not alot of tone this way.
Medium tuning range will give you a tone but still keep a tight punch.
Tight.....it is harder to tune a kick drum with a tight head, but they can sound very nice...you will loose alot of the punch this way though. Bonham's 26 was tuned up pretty tight, but you have to with a 26" kick.

Construct
01-24-2008, 07:23 PM
To Fett, yes, more of a Metal sound, i.e. Bobby Jarzombek or Gene Hoglan. A lot of Metal these days utilizes a really "clicky" sound with the kicks, but i want that hard punch with a deep tone. Not big and boomy ya know?

Fett2oo5
01-24-2008, 07:54 PM
That clicky sound you are talking about is what most people call Attack - the sound of the beater hitting the head.

I'm not going to say I am great at tuning, but I do like to play with my bass drum and get it exactly like I want it. I have noticed that if I tune my bass to a nice low tone, I can adjust the length of ring and amount of attack by adjust the padding inside the drum. I'm not saying cram a lot of padding into your drum, don't do that.

What have experimented with:
I set up my bass with the batter head tuned how I like it, put the pedal on and left the reson head off. I took the tuning rods out of the front just cause I don't like to listen to them rattle. I placed an old very thin pillow on the bottom of the bass long-ways, so some of it was sticking out the front where the resonant head would be. Here is what I noticed...
If I took the end of the pillow and lifted it slightly in the air (it looks like the pillow is blocking the air from reaching the resonant head) this would shorten the ring. I only had to raise the end of the pillow to the center of the diameter of the bass, and this was a significant change. There was alot of attack and a small amount of ringing. I am sure this also has something to do with part of the pillow resting on the inside of the drum shell and the act of me raising the end of the pillow increases the surface area that vibrates, which would increase the decay, well thats my theory anyway.

Basically I used a padding to intercept the air moving from the batter head to the resonant head. The more I "blocked the air" the less ring there was.

Remember I did all this without a resonant head attached, if you attach and tune the reso head I'm sure you can get even more results.

This is just a "proof of concept" I am sure that someone will be able to explain it better than I can. In fact I hope that someone does.

Fett2oo5
01-24-2008, 07:57 PM
wow Gene Hoglan! Shootin for the top huh?!? lol

lml DethKlok!!!! lml

that guy is amazing!

Good luck with your bass

Construct
01-24-2008, 08:04 PM
I know!!! Dethklok rules!!!!!!!

And thanks for the tips Fett, they have been very useful.

KEEP IT METAL!!!!!

GNRFAN
01-29-2008, 12:04 AM
The clicking sound also contributes to the use of triggers on the kicks as well.

Green_Shoes
01-29-2008, 12:12 AM
punchy= more tight.
if you want it deep and wobbly you should tune loose.

Bingo! Play around with it, sound also depends on what you hit the batter side with, the power, the skin, the base drum and the responase head plus if you have anything inside the base drum.

Fett2oo5
01-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Triggers?
Forgive me, for I am not knowing.

smoney22
02-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Ok, I like a really boomy deep bass drum, but I also like to play fast double bass metal stuff. So, if I tune my kick very low would fast double bass just turn out all muddy and undefined?

ZDrums24
02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Triggers are sensors on the head that are hooked to a 'brain.' They essentially turn your acoustic kit into an electric kit (or just add some new, unnatural sounds to the mix).

The Drum Tuning Bible does a good job describing how to tune for different sounds.

From my experience, a tighter batter gives you more punch (and more beater rebound). You'll probably either want a reso tuned real low (for presence) or maybe no reso at all (if you dont like that look, evans makes a mesh screen that gives you the look of a front head but the sound of none, but i have not tried this product).

I've also noticed that a tighter batter makes your bass drum a little more audible (more highs, more cut).

different beaters give you different sounds as well. I have a tama iron cobra double pedal on my kit, but ive replaced the stock felt beaters with puresound's felt speedball beaters which have a pretty wide contact surface and a head that swivels to line up with the drumhead. I noticed a huge increase in the amount of punch i got out of the drum. They also offer rubber and plastic beaters, which have even punchier colours from my understanding.

check out impact pads as well. I use one of the black evans double patches, which is supposed to soften the impact sound (i've been using them so long that i don't remember how drastic the difference was). they have a few others that all do different things to the sound. they also protect the heads.

and then there are all the heads they have on the market...

hope that helped a bit.

azula
02-22-2008, 12:35 AM
what method of tensioning is conducive for faster pedal play? in other words, would a tigher batter head let you use quicker footwork, or vise versa? thanks guys.

ZDrums24
02-22-2008, 04:15 AM
In my experience, a tighter batter head gives you more beater rebound, which translates into the footboard coming back up into playing position quicker.

Also, I find a solid front head gives you more rebound since the air has no where to go (relatively speaking).

Another thing thatll give you more rebound is a pillow against the batter head. It stiffens up the feel a bit.

I theorize that tightening the front head might give you more rebound since the air moves quicker inside the drum, but I havent tried it.

Elysium
02-22-2008, 09:59 PM
how do I tune my bass drum so that it sounds like Martin Lopez's bass drum from the album "ghost reveries"

azula
02-23-2008, 12:00 AM
In my experience, a tighter batter head gives you more beater rebound, which translates into the footboard coming back up into playing position quicker.

Also, I find a solid front head gives you more rebound since the air has no where to go (relatively speaking).

Another thing thatll give you more rebound is a pillow against the batter head. It stiffens up the feel a bit.

I theorize that tightening the front head might give you more rebound since the air moves quicker inside the drum, but I havent tried it.

you hit the nail on the head, i have two drum sets and one of them has a pillow against the batter head and that one feels more comfortable to me and i get a better response from the pedal....

ZDrums24
02-23-2008, 05:06 AM
It really does. my problem is that almost every suggestion I have for helping your gain more rebound from the drum is the opposite of what I want short of tightening the batter a little. I need a hole in the head for recording (no internal miking system yet...) and I love leaving my bass drum wide open. Add in a couple of those massive speedball beaters and... well, lets say I was very happy when I discovered that tightening the front head a little gave me a better sound.

mytquick87
06-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Fendi- your drumriff sounds awesome, im trying to get my bass sounding the same way- whats your heads combo on them?

dimanaru
11-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I have a new remo 22" drumhead with the image of an american native and looks so cool!

Father.Fields.
12-29-2008, 02:01 AM
How does Jojo Mayer tune his bass drum?
High batter?
Just get the wrinkles out of the reso?

tard
01-16-2009, 06:53 AM
hope this can help

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/download/tuning_sheets/!aquaria3.pdf

Bryan77
03-06-2009, 03:34 AM
Hey, guys do any of you have any tips on double bass tuning. I took out all the muffling and tuned them to a very, very close pitch. But, when I added the muffling (just a pillow) to each bass drum, the left bass drum went to a low sound and the right one went higher. I don't understand if it was because of the pillows maybe? If so, what do you think I could use as an alternative instead of pillows?

trkdrmr
03-06-2009, 03:41 AM
Use an emad batter head. many folks run this type of batter and don't use internal muffling. That eliminates a variable right there.

Vipercussionist
03-06-2009, 03:52 AM
Hey, guys do any of you have any tips on double bass tuning. I took out all the muffling and tuned them to a very, very close pitch. But, when I added the muffling (just a pillow) to each bass drum, the left bass drum went to a low sound and the right one went higher. I don't understand if it was because of the pillows maybe? If so, what do you think I could use as an alternative instead of pillows? It may be the heads have the same general note, but where the pillow ISN'T hitting is tuned a bit different. Try tuning them with the pillows inside, so the notes will be the same when the drums are set up in the manner you'd be using them.

IneptDrummer
03-07-2009, 02:44 AM
Aquarian Superkick II batter and Regulator front. No need for any linens. Save the pillows for sleeping on. : )

Or, like the previous poster said, tune them with the pillows in place.

Bryan77
03-29-2009, 03:36 AM
Aquarian Superkick II batter and Regulator front. No need for any linens. Save the pillows for sleeping on. : )

Or, like the previous poster said, tune them with the pillows in place.

I actually was using the pillows I used to sleep on because they were big and fluffy. I thought that was perfect for the bass drums but that would mean me sleeping on one really thin pillow that was very uncomfortable.

Buzter
03-29-2009, 04:13 AM
I'm just curious. Why have 2 bass drums tuned exactly the same?

NIMBY
03-29-2009, 05:23 AM

im assuming he's using them in a "metal" setup (?) where you use 2 kicks instead of a
double pedal, so they have to be tuned to the same note/sound for doing double kick patterns.

If they were tuned different, it would sound oh so strange.

Bryan77
03-29-2009, 09:31 PM
im assuming he's using them in a "metal" setup (?) where you use 2 kicks instead of a
double pedal, so they have to be tuned to the same note/sound for doing double kick patterns.

Yes you are correct.

Buzter
04-01-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm all for 2 bass drums but it just doesn't make sense to me. Looks cool though.im assuming he's using them in a "metal" setup (?) where you use 2 kicks instead of a

Xalky
04-07-2009, 05:35 PM

I'll second the Aquarian Superkick II with the regulator front. I have a Gretsch Reknown Maple and even with an Emad I would get too much ringing out of the drum. The resonant head was the stock reso from gretsch which had some interior muffling ala EQ3 around the perimeter. I'd have to tune way loose and lose all the pedal rebound if I wanted that fat sound.

Not the case with the above Aquarian setup. I get a nice low full rounded thud with the batter tuned high enough to get some really nice rebound. The batter is tuned about a medium tension. I am now getting that bass sound that I always wanted like Carter Beauford. Theres a definite Tone but it's short and muted. No pillows. I'm using the felt tip beaters that came with the Pearl eliminator pedal.

Remobeater
04-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm all for 2 bass drums but it just doesn't make sense to me. Looks cool though.

Two Bass drums are awesome!
I just got a second 22" and there are many pro's. The two bass drums allow you to play fast rhythms without having the bass drum completely dead; it allows the punch to ring out for longer. There also seems to be much better response, the bass drum has longer time to resonate and respond to the beater. I think the double pedal has a little bit of energy loss in the slave pedal because of the extra mass and transmission from the left side.
Just my opinion though, it is harder to get them tuned the same.

bluescasters
04-19-2009, 12:41 AM
I know same here....

speedwolf
04-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Like many others have mentioned, I also prefer the SK II. To make the head last longer, it's good to get a drum pad...especially if you use double bass....Aquarian also makes a good one that has a lot of punch to it. It makes the drum head last longer, which is good because SK's are expensive....at least for me.
And please don't put pillows and blankets in there. It's lazy and sounds terrible.

This is really easy and quick, for the lowest possible sound. And adjust to whatever feels good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8Q12mKYxI

If you play around with it a lot, you learn what feels best for you, and you can then get to tuning quicker, later.

speedwolf
04-26-2009, 06:13 PM

For metal, definitely keep them the same. I'd only tune them differently for jazz or something...imagine Chris Adler with two differently pitched bass drums....weird....lol

evolving_machine
05-15-2009, 04:25 AM
I just got the tight screw lug screws and used them on the resonant head for the bass drum. If you do not know what this is, it is a bolt for the drum that has a slot milled into the thread near the end. In the slot they squeeze a piece of plastic, maybe nylon.

The purpose of the nylon is to make a little bit of friction on the lug so that it would not unscrew from vibration. With these bolts, I am able to loosen the resonant head very loose. The loose head on the bass drum deadens the sound almost like putting a pillow in the drum. I also have the lugs for the batter side of the bass as well as both snare heads.

matt949
05-28-2009, 12:52 AM
right now im using a evan emad batter and the stock pdp reso on my bass i tuned it really low and i love to deepness in it but it feels a bit warbly on my foot im kind aguessing this is cause the front head isnt ported. and if i kept the same tuning but put a small port hole in the reso would it still sound roughly the same and just not feel the same cause they air isnt bumping around or should i just try tuning it a bit differently and keep her closed?

lawacker
06-05-2009, 02:18 AM
I heard that the point where the beater strikes the head has a lot to do with the sound of some bass drums. They say it should not hit dead center. It should be a little lower or a little higher than center, so the drum will not choke. I always though it was dead center, anyways I set mine up a little higher. Not sure if it made a big diffrence. My sounds great with the ps3 batter and fiberskin 3 reso. No port, no muffling, and a 2in. lift. Nice and full and boomy blends great with the music.

mrmike
08-10-2009, 01:11 AM
One thing that has not been mentioned is where you are in relation to the drum. Have someone else play your kit while you stand away from the kit. Chances are your bass drum will sound a lot different than when you sitting at the kit. Another thing to try is to get on all fours and use the pedal with your hand and you will find that the sound will be much bigger. Another way to make your bass drum sound bigger/louder in your practice space is to put your bass drum against the wall.

As with any instrument one of the biggest factors to get a good sound is the room. My practice space is pretty dead so a put down 2 sheets of 4'x8' plywood. It gave my bass drum more punch and volume and made my 14" floor tom sound huge.

MIKEDOOM
08-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Dave Weckl's way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH_RoUQyv5A is definately my favourite way of tuning drums this goes for the bassdrums too. Also bare in mind the chamber in which the drums are situated should always be considered when tuning your kit.

For 2 bass drums I tend to tighten the resonant head more than the batter for a tighter punchier sound and leave a pillow of even size and weight in either bass drum against the bottom of the shell just touching either head.

ZDrums24
08-11-2009, 08:44 PM
right now im using a evan emad batter and the stock pdp reso on my bass i tuned it really low and i love to deepness in it but it feels a bit warbly on my foot im kind aguessing this is cause the front head isnt ported. and if i kept the same tuning but put a small port hole in the reso would it still sound roughly the same and just not feel the same cause they air isnt bumping around or should i just try tuning it a bit differently and keep her closed?

If the head isn't ported, you will get more rebound. If the head is ported, the beater will be more disposed to wait for the spring on the pedal to pull it back since the air has an easier time escaping. I'm not sure what "warbly" means, but this is what I've found in my experience. Personally, I love the feel of a solid head, but you do lose some of the punch that way if you aren't using internal mic'ing

Dom Daviault
10-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi.
I play Remo Coated Ambassador on batter side and Remo Ebony Ambassador on resonant (I know it's kind of weird!). I have difficulty to tune them correctly. My bass drum, actually, sounds strange; it has a too much dry and powerful attack on front, and a kind of flask, vibrating sound on the batter side head. I tuned it temporarily by tuning both heads in unison, because other kinds of tuning were worse.
I play a lot of jazz, funk and a bit of pop. I'm looking for less attack, with low overtones, on both side of bass drum, if necessarily.
Which type of tuning should I use?

ZDrums24
11-01-2009, 05:43 PM
What size is the drum?

Oh, and that head combination isn't that weird, especially if you play jazz.

In general, if you tune the batter up and keep the resonant low, you get punch with low end rumble. If you tune them both low, youll just get a low sound with less punch and a lot of resonance. If one head is buzzing (which is what i think you mean by a 'vibrating sound'), then tune that head up a little (its probably flapping against the shell due to lack of tension). Coated heads are also on the dry, punchy side, so going clear may help.

I've actually also head a lot of luck with fiberskyn on both sides for jazz drums because they are just plain dark with a bit of resonance (not really punch, though). You can leave these wide open even on bigger drums.

If you are playing pop and funk, assuming you have the typical 20/22" bass, aim for something with a ring (like a thin powerstroke or evans bass drum head). These will have the low end you are looking for, but will rein in the high end ring of the drum to bring a little bit of the punch out that you need for those genres as well as darken the drum a bit. If you don't use any muffling other than the preinstalled rings, the drum will still resonant a bit, especially if you have a 22x18 like mine.

Another thing to consider is your tuning. If a head is out of tune, it will not ring well and if the heads are at a few specific intervals apart in pitch, they will cancel each other out and cause the drum to have a dead, dry sound.

Also, experiment with impact patches. Evans makes a nylon patch that does a nice job softening attack. This won't fix your overly dry sound, however.

Dom Daviault
11-01-2009, 07:11 PM
I play on a 22"x16" bass drum.
I'll follow your indications to tune the batter up and the resonant low. To which interval should I tune it?

ZDrums24
11-02-2009, 05:42 AM
depends on the drum, heads, and your preferences.

Raghallaigh
11-02-2009, 11:13 PM
everytime i hit the bass drum, without putting a good bit of power behind the pedal, it keeps bouncing off the head and this make it very hard to practice double bass. how can i fix this?

its tuned (the batter head about 1 - 2 turn) (the front head about 2 - 2 and a half turns)

cruzdrum
11-25-2009, 02:34 AM
its proly the pedal,you could retune your batter side head ,try a little lower,until it feels,good,or adjust your pedal

scoreking81
02-21-2010, 10:45 PM
One thing I figured out with my kick is that if you remove 3 lugs on the reso head, you get a really awesome punchy sound, just make sure the rim on the reso side is wood, or else you will get a metallic ring that sounds kinda crappy

jordster1991
04-23-2010, 07:09 AM
what should i put in my bass drum to give it more of a punch sound

irocz
04-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Dude, I own a Catalina Maple and changed my bass drum batter head to an Emad double ply, ported the stock resonant and it just sounded amazing. A lot of bottom and the resonance was great. But my music is not rock or metal I had to damp the resonant to have a simple hard punch with plenty of BOOOOMMM ! ! ! So, I used a muffle from Remo and cut a lot of resonance, yet loud and hard. By the way I can't stand pillows and quilts inside bass drums. Sorry guys!!!

keystone91
06-23-2010, 06:45 AM
One thing I figured out with my kick is that if you remove 3 lugs on the reso head, you get a really awesome punchy sound, just make sure the rim on the reso side is wood, or else you will get a metallic ring that sounds kinda crappy

I wouldn't recommend that. You're putting more stress on the head in uneven distances and that won't give the sound its full potential. Best to loosen all the lugs a little bit instead of a couple of them completely.

what should i put in my bass drum to give it more of a punch sound

I have a 22x18 kick and I love the punch I get out of it. Batter's tuned to an A note, reso is just above wrinkle point. There's a small built in pillow touching only the batter head but not the reso. Also the reso has a 5" hole at the 8 o'clock position. Sounds so good, especially with the EQ4 batter and PS3 reso combo I have on right now. If you want punch, you need to tune the batter HIGHER than the reso, contrary to what a lot of drummers think.

DrummerMax
06-28-2010, 03:38 PM
The main rule is to tune it so your skin has ripple and then tighen it untill there are no ripples, but not too tight.
Just enough so it dosent make a horrible noise from being too loose

chrisnope
07-10-2010, 05:07 PM
The problem with this sort of question is that head choice, tuning and "punch" is so incredibly subjective to individual's ears and HOW they play the drum. However, that being said I can give you some hints from tons of sessions I used to do in nyc. First of all I personally rarely use these newer heads like the emad,super kick or the powerstroke. I find these heads lifeless and although they sound decent or even great from behind the kit they lack specific character out front. But if ya choose one make sure its a single ply. I personally prefer the CS Black Dot (on clear or smooth white) for great lows, and ambassador if the situations needs highs or a pinstripe. Felt strips work great as do those remo rings that fit on the inside of the bearing edge that were popular in the early 90's, especialy with the pinstripes btw. I'd start with a great head and make sure its on evenly. Be sure the reso is in good shape and has plenty of ring. This is a starting point. Then start adding damping after its been tuned up a notch or two past the rippled point. I typically use more than a towel and less than a full blanket. I'll also sometimes put small foam pieces around the port hole and/or around the batter head in the 9 oclock and 3 oclock positions. And I'll focus great attn. to the tension rods in the 10,11,1 and 2 oclock positions. Its in these rods where the "punch" lies. You sometimes gotta detune other parts of the drum, making the tensioning uneven, but trust me bringing these up or down once the drums been tunes will give your drum more or less punch. This is how Jim Keltner does all his drums.

princecarspian
07-31-2010, 03:34 PM
The same basic principles of drum agreement also apply to bass drums. You can adjust it to your liking. For a sound resonance, using the same techniques for both heads of the drum setting. This is beneficial for the traditional styles like jazz, where the bass drum is more of a melodic voice, plays more like toms. In this context, a bass drum can sing and a skilled player can get many votes to use exceptional foot control

chickenfizz
08-11-2010, 12:28 AM
For miked situations we keep a ported PS3 reso on hand, as well as a rolled-up towel just in case. Many inexperienced sound guys just cannot handle an unported reso and rather than argue (or have them eyeing the reso with a box cutter in hand) we give them what they want. (They're responsible for how you're going to sound and there's no profit in pissing them off.) Still, no pillows or blankets, they're just not necessary in most cases. We might put the rolled up towel against the reso if they still complain of boominess.

Hello, I am a fairly experience sound engineer (it is how I make my living, not just a hobby).

The level of experience has nothing to do with an engineer's request to place a mic inside the shell of the kick.

The reason mics are placed inside the drum in a live scenario are primarily to do with 'gain before feedback'. Inside the drum there is a higher SPL and generally the closer towards the batter head you position the mic, the 'tighter', 'thinner' and 'punchier' the sound will be. Further back and closer to the response head the sound will be more 'rounded' have more 'body' and can sound more 'flabby'. It's difficult to describe these differences in sound, but easy to hear them! Now if you restrict mic positions to outside of the drum the engineer has less control over the sound, sure it still makes a difference where abouts you mic the response head, but it makes much less of a difference.

Doing live sound with a proper PA indoors and outdoors there is a serious rick of low frequency feedback or 'ringing' which obviously is unwanted. As I said before, outside of the drum you have lower SPL, this means you have to turn the mic up more to achieve the same kick drum level in the mix which makes feedback considerably more likely and sometimes means the kick just has to be kept at a lower level to avoid the ringing. Bare in mind that subs are almost completely omnidirectional in the lower registers so this can be a problem outdoors too but indoors the problem can be even worse because vibrations are transmitted physically by the structure of the building, through wooden floors, staging etc.

The response head does not sound the same at all as the batter head, when you place a mic close up to the response head as is necessary to avoid feedback and spill from other instruments on stage you are essentially hearing the sound only of that skin. This is not what you hear in real life, you hear the sounds of both skins, the drum itself resonating etc etc usually at a distance of at least 2m. In the studio environment it's possible to mic the drum much further away to achieve a more natural sound, live this is not possible.

More often than not, un-ported bass drums mic'd in live gigs just sound flabby with no attack and there's almost nothing the engineer can do about it. If there's space I'd mic the batter side of drum, but often spill from the snare can be a problem, especially if you want to highlight 'click' of the kick drum with EQ. Failing all else and without using a stanley knife I'd ask the drummer to remove the response head completely.

P.S. My favourite mic for a rock kick drum sound is the Shure Beta91 or SM91, these mics ONLY work placed inside the drum, outside is not an option.

P.P.S. I'm a fan of having no damping inside the drum, also I'm OK if the drummer prefers a pillow inside, as long as the drum sounds good I'm happy, I do know this, if the kit sounds good without being mic'ed it'll sound good through the PA!

ccsimms
08-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Just start off trying to get the best tone possible without any dampening or muffling, then work from there on making sure tension accross the head is even, and then just experiment and find the sound your looking for.

wickydeviking
09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
thanks for that chickenfizz nice to read your part of the story!

Isaac A
01-09-2011, 10:20 AM
I recently got my new TAMA superstar it has 2 bass drums, and i was puzzled by the amount of reverberation coming from it, so i taped down 1 bed spread in each bass, and then got some of the foam from the packing and taped it down to the front heads, it has a rich thud to it, i use Aquarian heads on the bass and they are perfect ;) i also tune the front head tighter then the back.

Spectron
01-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Discovered something new yesterday with bass drum tuning and the kickport

I was tuning my bass drum to the lowest possible note on both heads
deep thunderous type sound.

I started slowly tuning the resonant head up 1/2 turn at each lug
after about halfway around the drum I began to hear the sound
start to get progressively punchier...by the time I finished turning the last lug
the tone was punchy, the pitch actually got deeper and the drum was noticably louder
Not sure what interval I hit in the pitch relation between batter and resonant
but was definately "the magic zone"

and it suprised me that tuning the resonant head that much higher
produced such a HUGE sound.

I guess I had never experimented with tuning the resonant head that much higher
than the batter but it is my forever new tuning method for the kick.

Batter tuned to the lowest possible note
then slowly tuning the resonant head up until it hits that "magic zone":

[edit]
I figured I'd try this on my toms as well and I am really impressed with tone and feel on toms as well
The drums really "come alive" when you tune that resonant head up. Makes them louder and punchier
and the response you get from the heads is bouncier even when the batter is pretty low.

My new favorite tuning.

Sonorforce3007user
02-26-2011, 01:36 PM
I recently got my new TAMA superstar it has 2 bass drums, and i was puzzled by the amount of reverberation coming from it, so i taped down 1 bed spread in each bass, and then got some of the foam from the packing and taped it down to the front heads, it has a rich thud to it, i use Aquarian heads on the bass and they are perfect ;) i also tune the front head tighter then the back.

I don't use any dampening for the bass drum - Just a dampened head that i couldn't live without - my aquarian superkick2 :-)

NC68
02-27-2011, 05:43 AM

I was tuning my bass drum to the lowest possible note on both heads
deep thunderous type sound.

I started slowly tuning the resonant head up 1/2 turn at each lug
after about halfway around the drum I began to hear the sound
start to get progressively punchier...by the time I finished turning the last lug
the tone was punchy, the pitch actually got deeper and the drum was noticably louder

I guess I had never experimented with tuning the resonant head that much higher
than the batter but it is my forever new tuning method for the kick.

Batter tuned to the lowest possible note
then slowly tuning the resonant head up until it hits that "magic zone":

[edit]
I figured I'd try this on my toms as well and I am really impressed with tone and feel on toms as well
The drums really "come alive" when you tune that resonant head up. Makes them louder and punchier
and the response you get from the heads is bouncier even when the batter is pretty low.

My new favorite tuning.

Tuning any drum has always seemed to me trial and error. Hours and hours. This is due in some part to conflicting advice.

Now don't get me wrong. I believe you when you stated that having the resonant head tighter than the batter produced the "magic zone". You also indicated that it got, "progressively punchier" and "the tone was punchy". A punchier sound is what I was trying to achieve on my bass drum and it's kind of there but it was based off of the following advice:

"For more punch (as in a more defined sound) tune the batter side up in pitch 1-2 notes (even as much as 4-5 notes on some drums) from the resonant side. The resonant side will need to be very close to the wrinkle stage to also have a deep note to the otherwise higher pitched batter head. Itís easier to hear a good low resonant tone from the resonant side without a pillow touching that head. Avoid the temptation to keep the batter side real low and loose in pitch. All this does is give more of a plastic "slap" type sound when tuned this way. The batter side really needs to be up higher in pitch than most think to make the drum pop out of the mix."

The above is from the Drum Tuning Bible by Prof. Sound, (Scott Johnson). That guide is highly respected by me and many others but it just goes to show you that what works for some may not work for others. Thanks for the tip - I'll try your approach!

niacin
03-20-2011, 09:34 AM

My new favorite tuning.

I believe this video of Jeff Ocheltree on the Bohnam kit confirms your finding.Scroll to 2:35 onward...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMqHqADnREY

luigi
05-03-2011, 12:17 AM
I have a sonor force 1007 kit that sounds pretty good but i want to make it sound the best its possible what i ve to do??

sjczildjian
05-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Ok. So I can't be bothered to read the whole of this thread...

I REALLY want my kick drum to punch. Like... Feel it in the chest punch. Has anyone ever thought of tuning by frequency, not by note? 60-80Hz is where you tend to feel it more than hear it. I am using Evans EMAD2 Clear batter and Evans EMAD Resonant. Kick drum size it 22(w) x 20(d). Shell is 8-plu maple. Thanks in advance.

wsabol
05-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Ok. So I can't be bothered to read the whole of this thread...

I REALLY want my kick drum to punch. Like... Feel it in the chest punch. Has anyone ever thought of tuning by frequency, not by note? 60-80Hz is where you tend to feel it more than hear it. I am using Evans EMAD2 Clear batter and Evans EMAD Resonant. Kick drum size it 22(w) x 20(d). Shell is 8-plu maple. Thanks in advance.

Note and Frequency are synomomous. If you tune by note, you tune by frequency, and visa versa.

I have never tuned my bass drum to a note/frequency, but you may be on to something...

Spectron
05-10-2011, 07:08 PM
frequency to note chart:

[/URL][URL]http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/freqtab.htm (http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/freqtab.htm)

I Like tuning my 18x22 to it's lowest note: B
I tune the resonant head up until the two heads together form a chord
it's probably F# but anyway the final result
punches you into next week...lol

sjczildjian
05-11-2011, 06:36 AM
frequency to note chart:

[/URL][URL]http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/freqtab.htm (http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/freqtab.htm)

I Like tuning my 18x22 to it's lowest note: B
I tune the resonant head up until the two heads together form a chord
it's probably F# but anyway the final result
punches you into next week...lol

Great find! Thanks for that. I heard that 60-80Hz is the biggest punch... I wouldn't have even thought about the relation between notes and frequency... Seems pretty bloody obvious now though! haha!

OnThisDaysDrummer
05-11-2011, 07:12 AM
I like my bass drum to be between fast and punchy, and boomy. So I use a 22x18, and I use Remo's Powersonic batter head, and then a plane jane Remo UX res. head that came with the kit. I layed the duckt tape to it to somewhat muffle it, and then I put a thin pillow in the drum and rest it against the res. head. There's plenty of boom, but also very distinct attack.

sjczildjian
05-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I like my bass drum to be between fast and punchy, and boomy. So I use a 22x18, and I use Remo's Powersonic batter head, and then a plane jane Remo UX res. head that came with the kit. I layed the duckt tape to it to somewhat muffle it, and then I put a thin pillow in the drum and rest it against the res. head. There's plenty of boom, but also very distinct attack.

Sounds good... But personally, Id rather not take a roll of duct tape to my heads. If you like the head so much you don't want to change it, you can use a remo muff'l. Its a pretty cool device that works really well. I used one on my Evans EQ1. Still a bit of resonance on the head, but still very controlled.

TylerYeah
05-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Okay I'm not sure if someone has already shared this technique already, but i tune my 22x18 bass emperor coated bass head tight batter, bottom two lugs tighter than top and sides, then resonant extremely lose without it sounding papery. cut 5" hole in reso and i use a wood beater. Extremely full sound with alot of attack.

pxavier
05-15-2011, 08:01 PM
I own a Gretsch Nighthawk. The bass drum is fitted with the original reso (resonant) head and the batter head is a "Peace DHE-107", which basically has a muffling ring built into the head... I just bought it three days ago. I also place a pillow against the reso side. The other day, I got the PERFECT sound, its was just so deep, punchy, and wholesome. I could feel it too, but I had to let my curiosity get the best of me and mess with it... Now it's lost, even after hours of experimenting. I'm just curious as how to tune my drum, because it sounds like slapping, kinda like plastic, and is no where near bass-y. It sounds like it did when I only used the batter head and a hoodie in place of a pillow.. Against which head do I place the pillow? What technique is best for tuning the bass drum?

Chriskopper
06-23-2011, 07:02 PM
I usualy tune my resonant head way down and have a small bit of muffling against it. Then i tune my batter head slightly up from that and i use a remo muffling ring on the back head. I have a Remo Acousticon 24/16 by the way. it produces a loud, low thud. it sounds very close to Jack Whites in the dead weather.

wsabol
06-23-2011, 07:08 PM

LOL. I completely covered the inside of my reso head with duct tape once for muffling... it was sick. You could see it moving back and forth after you hit the batter head. So much low end! I probably won't ever do it again, but It was awesome!!

thejr1485
06-25-2011, 08:37 AM
I own a black tama superstar. Check it out on youtube, channel is thejr1485.

evolving_machine
07-31-2011, 05:58 PM
With my new kit, Pearl MCX master's, I am still tuning my resonant head very loose, and the batter just a little tighter. But, the difference is that now, the MCX, Pearl has installed a piece of rubber in the claw, I no longer have to use the tight-screw to keep the lugs from loosening while playing, and I am able to keep the lugs just barely tight enough to keep the head on the drum. My Gretsch Catalina Jazz kit, I still need the tight-screws to do the same thing. In effect, the loose resonant head has the same effect as a pillow inside the drum, because the loose head does not vibrate as much as a tighter head.

Slammintone
08-11-2011, 05:40 AM
If you like the John Bonham type bass tuning then check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrpcbaBG46k&feature=related

Here the guy in the video gives you a sound sample and then shows you what you'll need to get started tuning your drum to have that sound. I ordered the e-mailed video tuning lesson to get the whole enchilada and it works and its something you have to see to get the best understanding of the tuning concept involved. Do exactly what he is doing in the video lesson and it works. It's well worth the tiny investment to have this info at your disposal if bass drum tuning is driving you nuts (as it did to me!). I have a sound sample below in a thread about having my Ludwig Classic Maple kit finally dialed in. Good luck!

DurzBall
08-11-2011, 11:43 AM
I love bass drum's i want to use this kind of drum this is my dream's...

The Scorpio
08-14-2011, 08:10 PM
I play a 28x16 Yamaha marching kick with a clear Remo CS on the batter and a smooth white ambassador on the reso. Old towel cut up and used like felt strips about a quarter of the way up on the batter and resonant. And yes, I do have a hole on the reso. For now anyway. I tune very tight! The batter has very pronounced overtones when struck with a stick near the edge, and I tune the overtones on the reso a 4th up from the batter (Here comes the bride.) It's super loud, very present, and totally rock and roll.

Netz Ausg
09-18-2011, 11:42 AM
I use an Emad 2 with the large ring install and have an 8" hole in the centre of my reso head - this adds a powerful projection with a rumble and tone that is just right.

Most will tell you that putting a hole dead centre is sacrilige, but it gives me an awesome sound!

uniin
09-18-2011, 11:59 AM
putting a hole bigger than 7" pretty much renders the front head useless.... most of the sound you'll be getting is straight from the beater.

Netz Ausg
09-18-2011, 03:55 PM
I have to beg to differ - the tone without a reso at all is vastly different. I get just enough resonance from the head for the sound - and no internal muffling needed as a result.
I'm not playing jazz with this, though - it's a mahogony rockstar 22 x 18, tuned way down for maxium low end.

uniin
09-18-2011, 04:01 PM
... an 8" hole in the center... all the air from your beater is being pushed directly out...... there's nothing for it to resonate on...

Netz Ausg
09-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Eh - I know the theory. I also know it works and it sounds killer.

tard
09-22-2011, 02:11 AM
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aquarian-Bass-Drumhead-PrePack-/190569958722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5edacd42

$61.79 for a 22" super kick, a ported regular front head and a double kick pad with free shipping in the USA, no extra muffling needed, great sound from great heads at a great price.

nickjd
02-22-2012, 01:52 PM
tune both heads tighter than you think, doesn't need any dampening unless you like thuddy clicky sounds.

Netz Ausg
02-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Update on my kick reso situation...

I'm now running an EMAD reso as my new project needs a more rounded tone. The centre port was fine for my previous metal enterprise, but I'm playing pop, rock n roll, funk and soul (no metal at all) and so the attack driven sound is no longer viable.

I still have the old heads though for a more clicky sound.

MasterCylinder
02-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Tuning my basses is not near as hard as it used to be.

With the improvement in claws and in the structure of heads, my bass drums sound great without the required effort of earlier claw models and heads.

I have two new 22 X 18 drums and I put the PS3 on both sides............wow !

The only challenge is to get them to sound identical.

deliah29
04-09-2012, 07:10 PM
for quality drums and other music instruments --> drum equipment (http://www.drumworld.com/)

davemacleod
04-09-2012, 08:05 PM
I've now got a 22x20 Mapex Meridian Birch kick and, if I'm brutally honest, it sounds better than my DW 22x18 kick did with the same heads/tuning.

Both heads are tuned just past finger tight, and I've got a Falam on the PS3 batter and a very thin pillow inside. DANG, the kick sounds good. Will have to get it recorded!

Egbert
04-10-2012, 01:58 AM
That's a great Bass Drum :)

drummerboyfitz
04-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Help! I've experimented with the' floor tom as a bass drum' concept a few times - Mostly with underwhelming results. Usually the toms are not loud enough. I'm currently working on a tiny kit concept, using a 14X14 tom as the bass drum (turned on its side, elevated enough for the bass beater to hit the center of the head.) I've been able to tune the drum very low with no rattle. The note is perfect. The issue I'm running into is LOTS of resonance. This tiny little drum sounds like a marching band bass. I'm using a Remo Ambassador Weatherking (coated) for the batter side head and an uncoated Ambassador Weatherking for the resonant head, no internal muffling, and no vent holes in the resonant head. I would like to cut the resonance (somewhat) without affecting the rather gorgeous note. Any ideas/suggestions/experience/advice? Please help me... I'm at a loss. I think I could use different heads but don't know what, and although I've used muffling in various drums, I don't like to. Has anyone converted a tom this small to a bass drum? If so, what made it sound *thumpy*? Any ideas welcome...

Sjogras
04-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Drummerboyfitz,

I'm pretty sure you will have to use some kind of muffling to get more thump. You could try using a Remo pinstripe, which would cut a little bit of resonance but you would mainly just get a less colorful tone, (which may as well be what you are looking for) but there would still be a lot of resonance. You could try with a hole in the reso head, that would definitely reduce some resonance.

On an unrelated note, I did a nice adjustment to my bassdrum today. I cut ~6" from a cymbal stand, that's the little extension that you can see, the tom mount wasn't really long enough to hold the pillow in place. I'm currently using a rack so the tom mount has just been lying around. Obviously the same thing can be done with a pipe of the same diameter, but this was a very easy solution for me.
http://i.imgur.com/L3q60.jpg
This is something you might wanna try if you like a very solid feel, everything is a LOT easier now, fast single pedal doubles take very little effort. The reso head is completely free which creates such a nice tone.

drummerboyfitz
04-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks! I appreciate the advice and will try your suggestions. I will post pics when I am finished.
Drummerboyfitz,

I'm pretty sure you will have to use some kind of muffling to get more thump. You could try using a Remo pinstripe, which would cut a little bit of resonance but you would mainly just get a less colorful tone, (which may as well be what you are looking for) but there would still be a lot of resonance. You could try with a hole in the reso head, that would definitely reduce some resonance.

On an unrelated note, I did a nice adjustment to my bassdrum today. I cut ~6" from a cymbal stand, that's the little extension that you can see, the tom mount wasn't really long enough to hold the pillow in place. I'm currently using a rack so the tom mount has just been lying around. Obviously the same thing can be done with a pipe of the same diameter, but this was a very easy solution for me.
http://i.imgur.com/L3q60.jpg
This is something you might wanna try if you like a very solid feel, everything is a LOT easier now, fast single pedal doubles take very little effort. The reso head is completely free which creates such a nice tone.

gconyers
04-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Recently picked up a PS4 after years of using a coated EMAD batter head.

Put it on after removing rolled up towels and cranked it higher than usual. I also tuned the reso head (PS3 black reso) higer than usual and higher than the batter head.

This combination of tuning and pitch-relation makes my 22x18 maple drum sound like a cannon. The double-ply batter and the higher pitched reso controls the sustain and gives this drum the punchy, low fundamental that I've been looking for for years.

I toyed with the idea of putting a non-ported reso on but I'm gonna stick with the port because it allows me to add a bit of dampening on the fly as needed.

On a side note, I wanted to find a frosted white reso with the Yamaha logo on it with no luck. I emaoled Yamaha customer support to see if I could get one and was told they don't sell them so the guy was kind enough to send me a black sticker to use on my own head. Nice gesture and great customer relations!

drummerboyfitz
05-19-2012, 05:29 PM
After years of going back and forth, I've discovered that for me, no muffling on a bass drum is the best sound. When my bass drums are tuned properly, they don't resonate like crazy. They still resonate, but not so much as to drown out the rest of the kit. I've finally realized that when I muffle the heads, the only sound really coming out of the drum is the 'thump' of the beater hitting the head - no real drum sound at all. I realize that a lot of people like that beater/head sound, but it has nothing to do with the way the bass drum actually sounds. I LIKE a bass drum to sound like a bass drum - call me crazy! Thoughts?

SOTRdrummer
06-05-2012, 08:04 PM
What I've found after experimenting for the past week is that. On a 22" mid 90s Export bass drum. That two PS3s with the very edge of the small side of a Evans EQ pillow/pad thing. barley touching the bottom of the batter side works surprisingly well, for me at least. The only reason I do have the pad is the drum resonates a little to much with out it in my opinion.

SheLovesMyDrums
07-27-2012, 03:32 AM
Hey guys just bought a Pearl Vision and I want to mute the bassdrum a little. I want to put a pillow in there but how am I suppose to remove the bass drum head? I mean if I unscrew it will it still stay in tune? Or should I make a small hole on it? Whadaya think?

I'm kinda noob when it comes to drums so yeah... :P

Clist203
07-30-2012, 03:04 AM
Hows it all. Anyone use this sites technique for tuning? http://www.tunadrum.com/drum-set-tuning-intervals
Whats a good method?