PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Target Series

Ihaspedals
04-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Can anyone tell me anything about these kits? Im sure they're starter kits but I happen to have one. And would like to know what the pro's and con's are of my kit.

Thanks.

Ihaspedals

Ihaspedals
04-15-2007, 07:51 AM
I forgot to mention my other gear, cymbals etc.

I bought the DW-4000 double kick yesterday

Zildjian "A" Series Fast Splash Cymbal

A Sabian AAX Series Metal Crash Cymbal - I use it as a ride :P

Sabian 14" B8 Pro Heavy Hi Hats

and I use 7A's and 5B's

BertTheDrummer
04-15-2007, 08:11 AM
I think the Pearl Target series is actually a series only sold in Europe that's actually below the Pearl Forum series, I really don't know much at all about them.

harryconway
04-15-2007, 08:45 AM
I think the Pearl Target series is actually a series only sold in Europe that's actually below the Pearl Forum series.

I believe that you are correct.

Mikecore
04-15-2007, 04:31 PM
I know full well this is just MEAN, but I have to (I'm a little punchy right now!).

Given all of the criticism that drum companies take (on this forum and others), is it not a BIT reckless to call your drums "Target"?

I mean....we could have some fun with that, couldn't we?

I'm sorry, I'm just joking (I play Pearls right now anyway!) but I couldn't resist!

rendezvous_drummer
04-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I think the Pearl Target series is actually a series only sold in Europe that's actually below the Pearl Forum series, I really don't know much at all about them.

Actually, I've seen a few Target kits in a couple of stores in Vancouver here. I've heard them....sound like crap!!! Stay away from them. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, then the Yamaha Rydeen is a great choice. Check those out.

Mediocrefunkybeat
04-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Actually, I've seen a few Target kits in a couple of stores in Vancouver here. I've heard them....sound like crap!!! Stay away from them. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, then the Yamaha Rydeen is a great choice. Check those out.

This is another post in utter agreement.

Ihaspedals
04-16-2007, 10:53 PM

So all I am to understand from these replies, is that the Target Series sound like crap?

I mean, I didnt think mine sounded that bad at all.

T.Underhill
04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Actually, I've seen a few Target kits in a couple of stores in Vancouver here. I've heard them....sound like crap!!! Stay away from them.

Because as we all know the drums on the showroom floor are always tuned real good.

Afrolicious
04-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Well they're just very very low line drums. Like PDP drums don't have the quality of DW drums, although they're sometimes advertised as if they had, a Pearl Target kit doesn't really have Pearl quality, it's pretty much like any drumset in the 200-400$ range just with a Pearl tag to make it more attractive.

Pukeboy
04-16-2007, 11:41 PM
So all I am to understand from these replies, is that the Target Series sound like crap?

I mean, I didnt think mine sounded that bad at all.

exactly! that's why cheap drums aren't that bad as everyone on this forum says... when you've never heared a truly great drum you don't really have a need for great sound! I've been playing for 6 years and it's only recently that I've become aware of the way my drum sounds. I've even learned to dislike my snare drum.. :-)

rendezvous_drummer
04-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Because as we all know the drums on the showroom floor are always tuned real good.

I'm not like other people though. I actually take the time to tune drums in the showroom to really find out how they sound....but for kits like these I usually wouldn't have to, and the reason being is that it's the lowest end kit by Pearl! At least the Rydeen by Yamaha is quality. Finnhiggins prefers his Rydeen bass drum to his recording custom bass drum....and that's saying a lot!

Yeah yeah, any kit can get you through...but you might as well go with a beginner kit that sounds decent. I've never been impressed with Pearl hardware either.

Mikecore
04-22-2007, 08:00 AM
In all seriousness, if the drums themselves are reasonably round, the heads are in good shape and TUNED WITHIN THEIR RANGE (an 8" tom will NOT sound like a 13". Sorry folks), the drums will sound fine. I wasn't particularly impressed by my Pearl Export bass drum, but sticking an Evans EMAD head on there fixed THAT! Construction has some to do with the sound, but if you can get what you want out of them with head selection and tuning, and you like the hardware etc...then you have a good set of drums.

Sorry if my initial post on this was too snide for your taste.

makinao
08-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Has anyone here tried a Target Junior 18" kit? Specs are:

Tom tom 10" x 8"
Tom tom 12" x 8"
Floor tom 14" x 12"
Bass DRum 18" x 14"

They are very cheap brand new. I was thinking of a light travel kit for very small club gigs. I could use my regular snare and cymbals, and replace all the heads with ambassadors. Am I nuts?

cptnstntn
04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm actually a big fan of the Target series - had it quite a while and haven't had the need to upgrade yet, bought in about 2007-08, and its just a matter of knowing how to tune the drums, the kick is amazing with some dampening, can get a really fat sound out of it for a stage or recording setting, and the snare is amazing for stock on such a low price kit. One of the best value kits out there, im even still playing the stock heads. unfortunately, ive finally broken my small tom batter, and im curious, are the resonant heads identical to the batters in these entry level kits?