PDA

View Full Version : My Pearl SRX Session Custom

somedrummer
08-25-2005, 06:54 AM
NEW PICS ADDED JUNE 30 2006! SEE POST #55!

Here are a few pics of my babies, as well as some vintage Ludwigs that I restored for my mom's Jazz band... Questions, ask and it shall be given. Enjoy,

Rob

aahznightsky
08-25-2005, 08:17 AM
Huuuuge drumset you got there! Its sweet. Could you give us the specs plz? And why do ya have that clear head on your smallest tom? Is that out of choice or you just havent replaced it with coated yet?

Bonham to the moon
08-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Man i love that old Ludwig, do you live on an orchard? looks nice

Stu_Strib
08-25-2005, 10:44 PM
So you are liking the toms I sold you then? They look very good on that monster of a kit you got there.

Stu

Big C
08-25-2005, 11:54 PM
Where are you playing at in the last two pictures?

And what part of Nor Cal you live at?

somedrummer
08-26-2005, 05:36 AM
aahznightsky:

Specs:

8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 toms lined up as well as another 12" hanging on the right with a peace snare turned into a timbale under it. All toms have coated G2s over clear G2s, except for the ones stu strib sold me. The 8" has a clear G1 over Genera Resonant and the 16" has a Coated G2 over Genera Resonant. The Timbale has the original reso head from my 14" tom (BTW, what is a good head for a timbale?).

20" Bass with EMAD/ ported EQ3
14" Snare with Genera Dry / Hazy 300

As far as the clear head on the 8" tom, I just havent replaced it yet...

Bonham:

Yes, I do live right next to an almond orchard, and yeah, the ludwigs are sweeeeet. BTW, I put Aquarian American Vintage heads on them, these are heads made to fit the different sized older drums. They are surprisingly durable and give a really nice warm sound.

Stu:

Yes, I am enjoying them as they add a whole new dimension of highs and lows to my kit. I thank you again for the great deal and the excellent drums.

Big C:

That is a vintage Ludwig kit I fixed up and got to play a bit for my mom's Jr. High school. It is a joy. I live in Chico... if ya ever wanna jam, just pm me...

Thanks all.

Rob

Stu_Strib
08-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Anyone interested in the rest of my Session kit? I have a 22x18 (emad over Eq3), 10x8 (coated g1 over clear g1), 12x9 (same as 10), and 14x11 (same) left. I'm moving to England in October, and its one less thing I want to ship.

I'd like to get $750 for everything.

Stu

Stu_Strib
08-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Oh, somedrummer, try Evans J1 etched heads for a timbale. That's what they were made for, even though some people are trying them more on toms and snares.

somedrummer
08-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Thanks Stu and good luck getting rid of the rest of the kit.

Stu_Strib
08-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Thanks Stu and good luck getting rid of the rest of the kit.

OOH! Don't say it like that! Getting rid of it sounds like its a piece of garbage! You know you want your parents to buy it for you so you can have an alternate kick drum size, right?

hehe

somedrummer
08-27-2005, 04:05 AM
well, ya know, i didnt mean it that way... and I would love to have it, but I'd also love a car...

drumzalicious
08-27-2005, 05:37 AM
i can only say you have a very interesting setup.

largo61
12-24-2005, 05:18 AM
Both the drumsets are great. I prefur the Pearl Session though. Im just a big fan of Pearl.

somedrummer
12-24-2005, 05:36 AM
They are both really nice. I am also getting some new cymbals, an A Custom 14" Fast Crash and a 17" K Custom Special Dry Crash. I'll post pics of them and the whole set (updated) after Christmas.

DrumProgressive
12-24-2005, 11:44 AM
That sure is one hell of a kit. I was surprized not to see a double bass pedal on the first kit but anyways it's stilla beatifull kit. Im hoping on getting a kit similar to yours on the first kit one day. I really dig the setup.

mediocrefunkybeat
12-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Oh man, I missed this thread because I was on holiday. I like your main kit; but I ADORE your vintage. I could sit and play that kit all day; so clean, so easy. Beautiful.

Drummer Karl
12-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Wow!!! I think I want to play it...just one day!!
I was really annoyed when the salesman in the music store said that they havn`t got a pearl SRX... :-{
Great!!

burnthehero
12-24-2005, 07:26 PM
That Pearl kit looks like a lot of fun! I'd probably start foaming at the mouth if I was surrounded by that many drums.

somedrummer
03-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the continued compliments guys, and I swear I'll post new pics as soon as my sister lets me use her camera...I also just got a 12" AA splash... my 2nd Sabian. So far I am impressed.

harryconway
03-03-2006, 07:32 AM
Very nice kits. A man can never own too many drums.

fenderbender9aoc
03-03-2006, 07:45 AM
wow...both kits are amazing...and it looks like a great place to live....no pissy neibors

sgt.pepper1986
03-03-2006, 03:01 PM
The finish on the Pearl is awesome! That Ludwig is quite a looker, too.

somedrummer
03-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Here are some updated pics including my 17" K Custom Special Dry Crash, 14" A Custom Fast Crash, and 12" AA Splash. Enjoy!

bonham990
03-04-2006, 11:54 PM
wicked set i love how the toms are set up!

somedrummer
03-05-2006, 05:33 AM
The ups and downs of my tom setup:

1. My Ride is where I want it to be... close.
2. All the toms dont get equal playage, as the 8" and 13" are further away from me than the rest of them, and I just dont play them as often because of it.
3. This could be an up or down, but the toms arent lined up (exactly). It would be easiest to play them in this order: 10, 8, 12, 14, 13, 16... that is, If I want to do a roll down the toms. Otherwise, it works fine, and if they were lined up, there is no way I could have the ride where I want it.

Keep on commenting, asking... etc.

Rob

Class A Drummer
03-05-2006, 05:36 AM
Holy monkey nuts that huge. i also have a session http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7204 but its not nearly that elaborate. Wow.

cdawg_2010
03-05-2006, 05:49 AM
Nice set up!! i like the color and all the toms. Do you like the pearl rack? no offense, but you need to upgrade your bass pedal, unless you like it

somedrummer
03-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Nice set up!! i like the color and all the toms. Do you like the pearl rack? no offense, but you need to upgrade your bass pedal, unless you like it

I actually like the rack a lot. Personally, I dont like the idea of a round rack... It just seems like a bad idea to me.

As to my bass pedal, It may look older than it does because of the beater, but in fact it is a P101P, with the Powershifter function. I would get an Eliminator, but I cant justify the purchase.

Now, why is the beater older than the rest of the pedal? I was playing in pep band at a basketball game and this ref pissed me off by not letting me play at all, so after the game I let loose just to piss him off, and ended up breaking my beater (maybe I'll get some pics of it), and I now I'm using this other beater I had laying around until I get a new one.

Paintballer
03-06-2006, 01:27 AM
You live in Chico? Haha, I live in Red Bluff, not an hour away.
Where do you get your stuff from? I've been ordering from the internet as nowhere in town is there a drum shop that I can try out good cymbals at.

somedrummer
03-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Not 20 minutes away! I live a bit north of Chico, I could be in red bluff in 15 minutes flat I bet...

Honestly, there are no good drum shops in the entire norcal area from what I can tell, that is, unless you go down to Sacramento (which I wouldn't even call norcal). I have bought most of my equipment from either the internet (Ebay and Midwest Percussion mostly), Stu Strib, Skips Music (in Sac), and with the occasional necessity bought at Herreid's here in Chico (I hate that place!).

Thus there is my master plan. Maybe I will tell you it. Maybe not, as I wouldnt want anyone to steal it...

Anyway... keep on asking away... please! I have nothing better to do!

Anduin
03-14-2006, 07:47 PM
no offense, but you need to upgrade your bass pedal, unless you like it

Just out of idle curiosity, what's wrong with his pedal?

zildjian_dude101
03-14-2006, 07:56 PM
WOW!!! That's really nice dude.

secondXheartbeat
03-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Do you like that mounting system? I was thinking of getting those for my Yamaha kit.

boomboomda
03-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Nice set, and a cool setup. I also love that vintage set.
You should mow the lawn, not your dad. LOL

somedrummer
03-15-2006, 07:06 AM
Yeah, there's really nothing wrong with my pedal. I like it just fine. As I said earlier, its not the eliminator, but it is just a step below that.

As for the mounting system, Pearl's "Optimount" system is just fine. It has not created any problems for me, although some people on here might disagree with you (there was a discussion about it a long time ago, you might try searching for it).

Thanks again for the compliments, and keep the questions etc. coming!

matt986
03-15-2006, 03:28 PM
I love these drums. I have the maple version myself. Its a great sounding kit. Nice array of cymbals you have there as well

Keep rockin!!

Matt

millerdakiller
03-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Do you really need all of those drums. I think that would be more of an inconvenience then a pleasure. That's just me.

somedrummer
03-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Do you really need all of those drums. I think that would be more of an inconvenience then a pleasure. That's just me.

Have you ever played this many drums? I think it's very nice to have them all as it gives me a wide range of sounds I can get. Also, you may not have noticed, it is, in fact, set up just like a traditional 4-piece kit: The ride is close, the 12" tom in front, etc. So, if I only wanted to use those drums, I can. In fact, when I take it out of the house, I only take a 4 piece kit. So, it's definitely not an inconvenience, and it allows me more freedom in what I want to do. Also, if I want to make smaller kits with weird sizes, I can do that as well.

There is definitely no inconvenience involved. No, of course I don't need all those drums. I just like to have them, and it's a good healthy thing to spend money on.

somedrummer
03-19-2006, 03:01 AM
Most recently I drilled a hole in the bottom of a can of beans (cleaned of course) and mounted it on a cymbal stand over my hi hat. It sounds kind of like a cowbell, but slightly trashier... I like it.

Also, my mom runs the music festival for school bands here in Norcal ( it happened yesterday) and someone left an 18" A Custom crash without any names or anything. So until someone claims it, I'm taking it as my own! Talk about luck!

Mediocrefunkybeat
06-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Just a great, great kit Rob. I am very envious. You're all set for a great career in the industry now buddy.

TopCat
06-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Also, my mom runs the music festival for school bands here in Norcal ( it happened yesterday) and someone left an 18" A Custom crash without any names or anything. So until someone claims it, I'm taking it as my own! Talk about luck!I'm pretty sure most people would call that stealing. That's not cool..just keeping it.

Jay.B.
06-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Really nice setup dude, great tom layout, nice finish, and the session series sound fantastic. Be sure to check out my older pearl kit, it's starting to slowly grow again :-)

Nice one

Jay

somedrummer
06-28-2006, 01:39 AM
I'm pretty sure most people would call that stealing. That's not cool..just keeping it.

Well, karma kame along and took it away (it was claimed), but i had a little fun playing it before.

And thank you for the compliments MFB and Jay. I really do love her..

wondering
06-28-2006, 05:02 PM
very very nice setup. I just dig that finish...

Are you a ian paice fan by any chance?

BarryBuchanan
06-28-2006, 05:35 PM
very nice man!! hehe look at this little tom..mike mangini has 1 of thouse..i think his is like a 6" :O high pitched as hell!!! loveing the whole cymbal range man!!! look very comftrlbul to play!! have u got a double pedal?

chops4kicks
06-28-2006, 09:03 PM
heyy just a few question on the construction of your kit. Your bass pedal, it looks like the one that came with the kit, Eliminators are awesome by the way. (Maybe time for change?). Also im lovin your ride and the nice "chrome piece" you have on there. and just wonderin do you use those congas from ur throne?

somedrummer
06-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Wondering: Thanks, it is a really beautiful finish, and no, I'm not an Ian Paice fan particularly, though Smoke On The Water is one of the greatest songs ever! Does my setup resemble his? If so, it was by chance.

Barry: That smallest tom is an 8". I find myself not using it very often because It is so high pitched (along with the fact that I have to reach a little further to hit it), but sometimes it is fun to start on instead of the 10" when I'm rolling down the toms or whatever. It is extremely comfortable to play, as it is essentially set up as a 4 piece (if you look closely you can see it) but with all the other stuff jammed in around that basic setup. I really love the way it worked out. I used to have a double pedal, but found myself not using it very often or to very good effect, and ended up selling it in order to pay for my 8 and 16" toms from Stu_Strib.

Chops: Yes, my bass pedal is the one that came with the kit, but honestly it hasnt caused me any problems so far. As I've said, it's just like the eliminator, but a step below (doesnt have interchangeable cams). Once I have money to blow on a pedal, I will upgrade to the eliminator, but until then, this is really doing quite well. I'm wondering what you mean by my "chrome piece"? I'm not sure. Also, I don't use those bongos all the way over there, I have since moved them over to the left of the high hat where I can play them (like where bonham had his congas).

I need to post new pics. Time to get back on my sister's good side so she'll let me use her camera...

chops4kicks
06-28-2006, 09:56 PM
sorry for the confusion i was just being sarcastic about the duct tape piece on ur ride, does it affect the sound at all? wat is it covering, (i dont think its a crack unless your beating the crap out of that thing) do u find yourself hitting it often?

wondering
06-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Wondering: Thanks, it is a really beautiful finish, and no, I'm not an Ian Paice fan particularly, though Smoke On The Water is one of the greatest songs ever! Does my setup resemble his? If so, it was by chance.

yes it looks a lot like!

But it s to your honor, i like his setup a lot.

d.c.drummer
06-28-2006, 10:59 PM
I wish my old lady had a jazz ban. Nice kit. Really like it. Youve inspired to me to play outside one day... and be subsequently mauled by my retirement age neighbors.

Audun_D
06-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Woooooooooooooooooooooow!!! Thats a big kit. I love it!!! It was really kewl with the tom on your right side. Looks awsome!!

somedrummer
06-29-2006, 02:21 AM
Chops: Ok.. I didnt look back at the pics to see that. I no longer use that (I also have a new ride..). basically what it did was to quiet it down for my lighter gigs before i got my new ride, as I had to use that rock ride on all my gigs, even for jazz and stuff. I definitely didnt crack that beast, especially right there. I did sometimes hit it, but I just had to watch for where I was aiming.

Wondering: Thanks again... I'll have to check out Paice's to see the resemblance.

d.c.: Yes, I am very fortunate to live in the country, where nobody really cares. It is a cool experience to jam outside though. I highly reccomend taking your kit somewhere that you are able to and just rock it really really loud.

Audun: Yep, it looks and sounds awesome. It is really fun to play too. The tom over there is fun too, opens up lots of different possibilities.

Stu_Strib
06-29-2006, 08:29 AM
What heads are you using nowdays? I just watched a home video of my old sessions, and was cringing...then the culprit...PINSTRIPES! What was I thinking!

I'm thinking EC2s would be great on those, based only on the fact I have one EC2 on one of my toms so far and I fell in love!

Don't laugh ya'll, EC2 with a dab of moon gell really close to the edge...that focused fat studio sound, minus all the electronics!

somedrummer
06-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Well, I'm still with my old G2s.

I've been looking into getting some EC2s, but I'm worried about getting into playing more jazz (esp. in college next year) and EC2s not sounding quite right.

Like you said in another thread, maybe, just maybe if they made Coated EC2s I could get into it.

somedrummer
06-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Ok, finally got some new pics with my new 22" K Ride. I moved some stuff around yesterday and played it a little before my sis (Everybody tell her thanks...) took the pics, but I think I like what I did.

So here they are as of June 30, 2006.

Jay.B.
07-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Really liking the new pics dude, quality setup, didn't think it could get any better but it just did

What heads are you using nowdays? I just watched a home video of my old sessions, and was cringing...then the culprit...PINSTRIPES! What was I thinking!

I'm thinking EC2s would be great on those, based only on the fact I have one EC2 on one of my toms so far and I fell in love!

Don't laugh ya'll, EC2 with a dab of moon gell really close to the edge...that focused fat studio sound, minus all the electronics!

I knew you'd like the EC2s Stu, would like to hear how they sound on yours.
I'm still experimenting with the moongel tho, will have another fiddle with it in a bit.

somedrummer
07-11-2006, 10:17 PM
New Update:

That big 18" Edge crash (the highest thing on my setup) has now been replaced by a 14" AAX Studio Crash that I got at a pawn shop for $45 yesterday. It's a little bit thicker/heavier than the A Custom Fast I have right next to it, so I can play them both and not have them get mixed up/sounding too much alike.

I'll see if I can get a new pic here soon, but you can probably imagine what it looks like now.

k3ng
07-17-2006, 01:31 PM
heh, I've always been interested in seeing your kit ever since seeing it in your small avatar picture.

Anyways, I have a small little question. On the picture of your older setup, the first picture I believe, you had a Ride(I think), with a cymbal stacked on it, and then another one inverted stacked on it.

Just wondering, what are those and what does it sound like? I've never seen that before =P

dom
07-17-2006, 07:45 PM
im not a pearl fan by any means but this kit blows me away allsome. just one thing your bass drum looks really small and lonely all the other stuff above it

cdawg_2010
07-17-2006, 09:55 PM
that kit is sweet. how do you like the 14" studio crash.

somedrummer
07-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Ok, in order:

K3ng: That would be an 8" A Paper Thin splash inverted over a 10" ZBT Plus Splash which was just set on top of the ride. I have to try to remember what it sounded like. I think the ride just sounded pretty much normal since the splash was only touching it at the very top and had little effect on it. The ZBT Splash when hit would touch the ride and give kind of a nasty clangy sound when it hit the ride (why I no longer have this setup). And the 8" A would sound like it normally would when inverted.

Moonchild: Thanks for the compliments. Everything is actually very close and easy to hit.

dom: Yes, it is only a 20", but I love the punch it gives me (with the EMAD with the small muffling ring) and the tom setup options, that is, heving that extra 2 inches really helps me to be able to put toms where I want them.

cdawg: The studio crash is not exactly the way I heard it at the store or in my mind, but when I got it home and played it next to my A custom fast, I realized that it was perfect. It had just enough contrast to be able to be heard as a different sound, but wasnt so heavy that it put me off (BTW, it is a little heavier than the A Custom Fast). Really good sounding cymbal.

<<L3o Luk@?>>
07-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi
nice set!
sry i'm from germany so my english isn't so good^^
you have some nice ideas like the chain on teh cymbal
did you think about a double-bass?
i like the little tom above the others

<<L3o Luk@?>>
07-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi
nice set!
sry i'm from germany so my english isn't so good^^
you have some nice ideas like the chain on teh cymbal
did you think about a double-bass?
i like the little tom above the others

gringo998
07-18-2006, 10:27 PM
saweet set
when you gig, what do you use?
im assuming you dont uuse that whole set up.

ledzeppelins666
07-19-2006, 03:49 AM
I think that might be the best looking kit in the forum right now. I love the Vintage Fade and how you have the toms set-up. By looking at your drumheads it hardly looks like youve played the thing. How long have you been expanding on to your kit? That would take me a good 10 years. But your not me, nice kit.

somedrummer
07-19-2006, 10:02 PM
<<L3o Luk@?>>: Thanks for the compliments. I did at one point have a DW5000 Double Bass Pedal, but found that I wasn't using it very much and sold it to help pay for my 8" and 16" toms which I bought from Stu_Strib.

gringo998: When I gig, I use just a basic 4-piece setup, incl. Snare, Bass, and 12" and 16" toms, 2 crashes, Ride, and Hats. In fact, that is all that I bought cases for when I bought them. I do plan on getting some more cases for 10" and 14" toms sometime to allow for quieter jazz gigs and the like, but for now this 4 piece configuration is serving me well.

ledzeppelins666: WOW! Thanks for the excellent compliment. As for the drumheads, for some reason it seems as though Evans heads don't get dirty like Remo ambassadors or the like. Also, I don't get to play it as much as I would like due to the family being home so often and not being too happy with it. I got the original 5 piece kit with ZBT cymbal pack when I graduated 8th grade, and so have been working on it for 4 years, with a combination of my own money and Christmas presents and the like. Thanks again for the great compliments.

ledzeppelins666
07-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Have you ever considered putting like a gong drum or a big floor tom off of your last floor tom at an angle like Neil Peart does?

somedrummer
07-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Have you ever considered putting like a gong drum or a big floor tom off of your last floor tom at an angle like Neil Peart does?

Actually, there's a guy on eBay right now with an 18" floor tom that I want really bad, but I'm not willing to give him 350 plus shipping for it. Maybe I will when (if) he lowers the price.

dominick arias
08-24-2006, 12:07 AM
how deep is the 20" bass drum?

somedrummer
08-24-2006, 02:22 AM
how deep is the 20" bass drum?

That would be 16". I love it. Very tight, punchy sound, as is to be expected from a 20x16.

YAMAHA DRUMMER
08-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I love the Ludwig's .... so beautiful and so classic.
and for the Pearl ... not really my taste but , it looks amazing.
..(.weird set up )
take care.

somedrummer
08-24-2006, 09:04 PM
I love the Ludwig's .... so beautiful and so classic.
and for the Pearl ... not really my taste but , it looks amazing.
..(.weird set up )
take care.

Yeah, those Ludwigs were nice!

I like the Pearl, and I love my "weird" setup... although it's not that weird. It's like 2 up 2 down, but with extra ones added in.

skunkyjoe
08-29-2006, 04:24 AM
What cymbals do you have all on your kit?

-AG

somedrummer
08-29-2006, 05:20 AM
What cymbals do you have all on your kit?

-AG

I posted the specs somewhere up in this thread, so you could check there.

Actually, it will be changing soon, as I have sent away some of my old cymbals as a trade for some nice new saludas, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm getting just yet, so I'll give updates as they come.

skunkyjoe
08-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Sorry, maybe Im blind or dumb, but I went through this list 2 or 3 times and didnt see a cymbal list.

What are you trading?

-AG

somedrummer
08-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Sorry, maybe Im blind or dumb, but I went through this list 2 or 3 times and didnt see a cymbal list.

What are you trading?

-AG

Oh wow, I guess I never did post the cymbal specs.

Well, here they are:

22" K Ride
21" A Rock Ride (will soon be moved to reserves in favor of the new Saluda Ride I'm getting... more detail when it comes)
19" Paragon China
18" Edge Crash (Sold-Soon to be replaced by a Saluda)
17" K Custom Special Dry Crash
16" Edge Crash (Soon to be replaced by a Saluda)
14" A Custom Fast Crash
14" AAX Studio Crash
14" AAX Studio Hat Top over 14" A New Beat Bottom
12" AA Splash
8" A Zildjian Splash (sometimes 2)

As for the trades:

Traded off:
20" ZBT Plus Ride
18" ZBT Plus China
16" ZBT Plus Crash
18" Edge Crash
10" ZBT Plus Splash

For 2 Crashes and a Ride.

somedrummer
08-29-2006, 07:58 AM
I'll have to get some new pics when It all comes in and I get it set up right. 'Til then, there it is.

skunkyjoe
08-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Any extra cash needed for the trade or is it straight up?

-AG

somedrummer
08-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Any extra cash needed for the trade or is it straight up?

-AG

Straight up trade. Although the shipping was pretty bad, I just look at it as "I'm getting 3 new cymbals, AND I get to get rid of some old crappy ones, all for $45!"

somedrummer
09-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Well, the new Saluda ride is here. It's everything I'd hoped for, and maybe more. I think it will be especially nice when it's had time to "mellow" a bit. Also, new heads alert:

(Note: I just posted the same thing in the EC2 thread, so if you've read that, don't bother with this.)

Well, I got some new heads for all my toms today (all Evans, of course). I just finished putting them on and can't play them for fear of waking up grandma. Dang. I want to beat them really hard.
Anyway, I put a lot of thought into this setup, so if anyone has any comments about it, feel free to let me know.
So, the best way to list this... I think this way.
Batters:
8" and 10": Genera G1 Coated
12" and 13": Genera G2 Coated
14" and 16": EC2 Coated (New line, sounds awesome!)
Resonants:
8", 10", 12": Genera Resonant Glass
13", 14", 16": Genera G1 Clear

So the idea behind it is that all the toms should have a similar amount of resonance without any artificial damping. Therefore, smaller drums get thinner heads, bigger drums get thicker heads. I think it sounds pretty good, but I've only tapped them just a bit. We'll see tomorrow how they sound after they've seated for a while.
Cheers!

somedrummer
10-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Recent aquisitions of note:

Paise Dimensions 13" Light hats: $70. Good for my jazz combo.

Just won on eBay: 15x14" Mounted tom: under $250. Hooray!

I think I'm going to pop off another email to Saluda. I was supposed to get 2 crashes and a ride for my tradeins, but only ever got a ride, and it's been a few months now.

ledzeppelins666
10-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Where are you going to try and put the 15x14?

I didnt know Pearl even made that size.

somedrummer
10-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Where are you going to try and put the 15x14?

I didnt know Pearl even made that size.

I think I'll put it over to the left of my hi hat, as I don't think I could squeeze any more space out of anywhere else. But, of course, we'll see how things evolve, as they naturally do.

somedrummer
11-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Okay... The 15" arrived safely. It is currently to the left of my high hat, but I need to get some more hardware and rack clamps to get it mounted in its permanent home.

It sounds great.

somedrummer
11-19-2006, 07:09 AM
17" Saluda Hybrid X crash should be on the way soon.

Drummer30
11-27-2006, 01:13 AM
How does the paragon china sound. I've heard its warm yet trashy. Which do you think is better, the 19 or the 20 (i guess 19 since you have it) :)

somedrummer
11-27-2006, 07:47 AM
How does the paragon china sound. I've heard its warm yet trashy. Which do you think is better, the 19 or the 20 (i guess 19 since you have it) :)

I guess you could describe it as "warm yet trashy". I can definitely say it is very loud. I cannot compare it to the 20" because I only ever heard the 19". To be honest, I only bought it because I got a totally screamin' deal on it at $120. I did like the sound, but I wouldn't have paid full price at the time.

Synthetik
11-28-2006, 01:41 PM
I have added a couple pics of this kit to my "monster kit" gallery.

somedrummer
12-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Cool.

I just got in my new Saluda crash. I guess it's a Hybrid X, although Jamie told the shippers it was a Diamond. In any case, it's what I was looking for and I like it a lot so far. I should get some new pics soon...

drumjunkie9332
12-06-2006, 05:32 AM
Dude, nice Pearl kit. It looks massive, but still tight and manuverable. Sweet Ludwig too.

somedrummer
12-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Dude, nice Pearl kit. It looks massive, but still tight and manuverable. Sweet Ludwig too.

Thanks, man. That's exactly what I was going for setting it up the way I do.

fusssion
12-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Cool.

I just got in my new Saluda crash. I guess it's a Hybrid X, although Jamie told the shippers it was a Diamond. In any case, it's what I was looking for and I like it a lot so far. I should get some new pics soon...

If it's a Hybrid X, it'll say Hybrid X on the cymbal .......did it have a Diamond finish on it?
There my lie the confusion....

Also.....PICS of the Saluda's please, and the current set up.

Option: Why don't you get rid of the 2nd 12" and put the 13 under your hi-hat, and the 15 between the 14 and 16 ?! That would be really sweet!

somedrummer
12-07-2006, 10:14 AM
If it's a Hybrid X, it'll say Hybrid X on the cymbal .......did it have a Diamond finish on it?
There my lie the confusion....

Also.....PICS of the Saluda's please, and the current set up.

Option: Why don't you get rid of the 2nd 12" and put the 13 under your hi-hat, and the 15 between the 14 and 16 ?! That would be really sweet!

I'll figure it out in just a moment when I go visit the site. In any case, it sounds sweet.

Pics are coming sometime... I no longer live with my camera source, so trying to get pictures is like buying a piece of pizza...Long story.

As for the setup option...I'm not sure whether the 15 would fit where the 13 is. At this point it's stuffed in between the rack leg and my ride cymbal, with very little space on either side. So I have the 15 under the hi-hat, and the 2nd 12 actually above the hi-hat. It's giving me some cool ideas. Again, I'll try to get pics soon...

somedrummer
12-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Ok, I just checked the cymbal and it is in fact a Diamond. The logos are so close to transparent that I didn't even see it before I really looked. Every time I touch it I realize how thin it is, and how much I love it.

skinspanker
04-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Sweet kit man, I also own a SRX kit in carbon mist I love the way they sound and I'm thinking of buying a birch sessions 7 piece. Any input on their birch line from 1998 would be helpful.