PDA

View Full Version : Good Double Bass Drum Songs

juicebox
05-28-2006, 06:23 AM
I just got double kicks and i want to listen to songs with good double bass drum. i know a few songs like painkiller(judas priest), heeding the call(hammerfall), no one(fear factory)
Im wondering if anyone knows some songs with basic double kick and complex double kick.

deltadrummer1
05-28-2006, 07:36 AM
I sure hope you aren't planning on taking on those songs you just mentioned right off the bat!... Painkiller by Judas Priest? haha not even beginner's luck will help you out there! Double bass is complex in itself especially if you're new to it. Just work on exercises using Mike Portnoy as an inspiration to your practicing. The double bass in DT is usually 16th notes or something which is easier to learn. That would be alot easier to work up rather than Necrophagist or Nile..

Jeff Almeyda
05-28-2006, 12:02 PM
The entire "Reign in Blood" album by Slayer is a lesson in double bass for metal. You will have to play the songs slowly and work up the speed. I spent an entire summer torturing myself with those songs until I could play them all back to back.

It's not necessarily complex but the speed makes it incredibly difficult.

osamasgoat5467
05-28-2006, 09:54 PM
I just got double kicks and i want to listen to songs with good double bass drum. i know a few songs like painkiller(judas priest), heeding the call(hammerfall), no one(fear factory)
Im wondering if anyone knows some songs with basic double kick and complex double kick.

Anything by Recer X is amazing(same drummer as Judas Priest since the 90's). Avenged Sevenfold's Blinded ikn Chains. The intro and 2:50 into the song. Bat Country. The Wicked End. Pretty much anything from City of Evil. For some reason the triplets on the bass drum section of System of a Down's BYOB about 20 seconds in. There's a lot out there. Just listen to any type of metal, and death metal and black metal have really good drummers, but I don't like it so I don't know the song or band names.

matei_the_drummer
05-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Listen to 'Slave Labor' by Fear Factory, there drummer (Ray Herrera) is a brilliant drummer. Complex double bass kicks though. :)

Dyaxe
05-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Oppening of the gates - Morbid angel - I'd say this is probably the most basic double bass song you can find :D

on a serious note...these are pretty good:

Rob Halford - Made in Hell
Flotsam And Jetsam - Frustrate
Kataklysm - Where the Enemy sleeps
Manowar - Hand Of Doom
Motorhead - Overkill
Nile - Sarcophagus
Slayer - Bloodline
Slayer - Dead skin Mask
Slayer - Expendable Youth

Symbolic
05-29-2006, 04:49 AM
Oppening of the gates - Morbid angel - I'd say this is probably the most basic double bass song you can find :D

on a serious note...these are pretty good:

Rob Halford - Made in Hell
Flotsam And Jetsam - Frustrate
Kataklysm - Where the Enemy sleeps
Manowar - Hand Of Doom
Motorhead - Overkill
Nile - Sarcophagus
Slayer - Bloodline
Slayer - Dead skin Mask
Slayer - Expendable Youth

Opening of the gates is impossible to play the way it is on the cd. As for nile, there are very few people who can play that tight like Tony L. I wouldnt even try that until you can play 16th notes at 230 bpm comfortably for about 3 minutes with tight starts and stops.

Smoky_McPot
05-29-2006, 05:05 AM
Basic Double Kick:
Anthrax - Only

Complex Double Kick:
Pantera - Becoming
Fear Factory - Zero Signal

franklinj
05-29-2006, 05:13 AM
I always thought Painkiller was by Death, or is it a completely different song? Well, if it is a different song, listen to Painkiller by Death. Thats one of my favorite drum (for metal) songs.

syaoran05
05-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Direction by Slapshock

tambian89
05-29-2006, 09:31 PM
I always thought Painkiller was by Death, or is it a completely different song? Well, if it is a different song, listen to Painkiller by Death. Thats one of my favorite drum (for metal) songs.

That is a cover; you can tell by the glorious scream Chuck Shuldiner does (Halford is famous for his high pitched power-metal like screaming).

Most double bassing is just RLRLRLRLRLRLRLRL, so look to the rudiments. They loosen you up, and give great independence. Mike Portnoy's stuff is good for grooves with double bassing. Dave Lombardo is good for the double bassing (check out Slayer's work with him). Remember to always start of slow.

I terms of songs Ilearned to get my double bass speed, I learned "War Ensemble" by Slayer.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DAB-kGDJkqg&search=War%20Ensemble

- Marc

franklinj
05-29-2006, 09:41 PM
I see, I see. Thanks Tambian.

Fur drummer
05-30-2006, 03:14 AM
Hot for Teacher, Van Halen

Backwards Marathon
05-30-2006, 03:49 AM
Through struggle- As i lay dying

franklinj
05-30-2006, 04:05 AM
My Name is Mudd- Primus.

DrumProgressive
05-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Anything from As i lay dying or Caliban willl suit you. Some parts maybe tricky, so if you problems with either of one of their songs i'll try to tab out the hard parts.

Through struggle- As i lay dying
God i love that song, (weird/louzy clips tho)

BarryBuchanan
05-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Lamb of God - Their drummer uses a wide variaty of paterns from striaght 16ths to triplets to funky groves and awsome beats

Trivium - Their drummer uses very fast 16th note double bass but all thru the songs uses little lips and off beats with his second bass drum and sum very catchy patterns.

Anchein Vouivra
05-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Suicidal Tendencies: Lost Again, Emotion Nbr 13.

Primus: Puddin Time, Tommy the Cat, The Year of The Parrot

Meshuggah: I

Opeth: Deliverance, Master's Apprentice

Arcturus: Nightmare Heaven, Collapse Generation, Radical Cut

Nostromo: Selfish Blues

Any Yattering song are full of blasting double bass

Sepultura: Chaos A.D.

secondXheartbeat
05-31-2006, 04:36 AM
"Lip Gloss and Black" by Atreyu is a good place to start. The triplets in there will help you work on controllling all of your strokes at a slower tempo.

Roly
05-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Carter Beauford of The Dave Matthews Band implements some tastful double kick playing from a musical point of view. Check out some of the albums such as Crash, Under the table and dreaming, Before these crowded streets. There is also a good dvd, Under the table and drumming he did a while back, took me ages to get a copy of that.

Oh, and hi all my first post, good to be part of this ;)

MetalThrasher442
05-31-2006, 11:28 PM
Nobody Knows Anything by: Anthrax
What Doesn't Die by: Anthrax
The whole "Among the Living" album by: Anthrax

I'm a huge Charlie Benante fan

Raining Blood by: Slayer

The_Chaotic_One
06-01-2006, 01:21 PM

Death covered the Judas Priest version on the Sound Of Perservearance album.

The_Chaotic_One
06-01-2006, 01:23 PM
I sure hope you aren't planning on taking on those songs you just mentioned right off the bat!... Painkiller by Judas Priest? haha not even beginner's luck will help you out there! Double bass is complex in itself especially if you're new to it. Just work on exercises using Mike Portnoy as an inspiration to your practicing. The double bass in DT is usually 16th notes or something which is easier to learn. That would be alot easier to work up rather than Necrophagist or Nile..

Painkiller isn't too hard, the Judas Priest version anyway.

juicebox
06-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Ya it doesnt seem that hard but i cant play it, it just seems like really fast 32nd notes then 16 notes. but im not that fast so im just gonna stick with basics for a while

franklinj
06-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Puritania-Dimmu Borgir.

Not hard at all (well, if youre just getting into it its somewhat difficuly) but its fun to play.

deltadrummer1
06-01-2006, 09:13 PM

It sure isn't basic though.

torben
06-02-2006, 01:27 PM
A good one is Sad Statue by system of a Down, it has a good basic double bass drum pattern, however it may be hard for a starter at its speed.

Dane3
06-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Try "The worst is yet to come" by Still Remains. thats what made me decide to start learning double bass anyway

juicebox
06-03-2006, 12:35 AM
i dont rememeber what i was gonna write down

franklinj
06-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Anyone know any good metal double kick songs

Huh?! Thats what this thread is about......

Scroll up or down...down be lazy!

Cephalic
06-03-2006, 07:29 AM
You want songs that you can play, or just that have good bass beats?

When I first started double bass, my teacher reccomended me Metallica's And Justice For All album as stuff to play along with. I never really listened to it though, seeing as I'm not a Metallica fan...

Orion The Hunter by Symphony X has some cool bass patterns in it which aren't too fast. I actually began to write out part of that song, so if you'd want it I can try and scan it.

If you want some good bass patterns and speed, look into Necrophagist. Their song, Seven, has some really good and fast bass patterns going on in the opening riff. The link below is the MP3 of that song.
http://shop.relapse.com/dbmedia/audio/Necrophagist%20-%20Seven.mp3

Ion Dissonance's drummer also tends to do more patterns on the bass rather than just straight 16th notes. Here's a link to their song, Cleansed By Silence.
http://www.id357.com/mp3s/Ion_Dissonance_-_Cleansed_by_Silence.mp3

Out of all those, I'd reccomend most Symphony X. I haven't listened to them much lately, but from what I remember there's a lot of good patterns on the bass, none of which are too fast.

TamaReaper
06-03-2006, 09:32 AM
probably Bleeding mascara by Atreyu...its like an intermediate song and its not too complex......

The Heretic Anthem by slipknot....is a good one for REEEElLLY fast double bass

samuelsonmosley
06-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Listen Carl Canedy ( THE RODS ) in the song "white lightning":a simple use of double bass but very concrete

samuelsonmosley
06-03-2006, 04:24 PM
By the way,in the eighties no trigger......

thumper
06-03-2006, 05:34 PM
I think "Before I forget" by Slipknot has some pretty decent double kick playing in it...pretty fast though. One of these days, I'm gonna get me a double pedal.

METAL_DRUMMER
06-10-2006, 10:53 PM
jason bittner is an awesome double bass player listen to the war within or the art of balance

xcrazzy2xbass
03-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Yeah most good metal bands have some crazy double bass in them. Everyone mostly covered the good bands, but I'd recommend that you stay away from the crazier stuff. When I my double pedal (pearl powershifter eliminator) I listened to lots of those bands and it kinda screwed me up. Since it's metal, lots of those guys tune their toms down and it might be hard to tell the difference between toms and bass. Well anyway good luck and here's some bands:

Avenged Sevenfold (cool fills and tom work)
Still Remains (good metal sound)
Haste the Day (kinda got some punk in there, good bridge and good blast beats)
Atreyu (get those triplets like in Lip Gloss and Black)
As Blood Runs Black (crazy @#$ master of triplets, and some of the fastest bursts i've ever seen)
As I Lay Dying (what can i say?)
Slipknot (refreshing, not just straight up double bass)
Bury Your Dead (rythmically challenging, good for gaining strength in feet)
Bullet For My Valentine (pretty easy, might wanna start out with that)
Dragonforce (lol) (fast and ridiculous)
In Flames (good double bass pretty straight forward)
Killswitch Engage
Trivium (fast)
Unearth (cool bridges and openings)
Old Underoath (it's kinda funky double bass)
Oh and don't rule out lots of rappers. They sample all kinds of songs and you might find some fresh double bass in there.

Oh btw first post and definitely the longest!!! Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mapex589
03-13-2007, 03:02 AM
Nobody Knows Anything by: Anthrax
What Doesn't Die by: Anthrax
The whole "Among the Living" album by: Anthrax

I'm a huge Charlie Benante fan

I am huge Charlie fan too. How about "Gung Ho" from Spreading The Disease.....talk about an endurance exercise!!

rendezvous_drummer
03-13-2007, 03:16 AM
Intro to Follow you home- Nickelback

Raining Blood- Slayer

pcmckay
03-13-2007, 04:10 AM
I guess I'm really old school, but I like any of the early Van Halen. I think Alex is a pretty decent double bass player. I like "Hot For Teacher" off of "1984", and "Loss of Control' off of "Women and Children First." But if I had to choose my favorite double bass song it would have to be the live version of "Boom, Boom- Out Go The Lights" by Pat Travers with Tommy Alldridge on drums. On this song a lot of people make the mistake that what they think they are hearing are rolls down the toms when it's actually Tommy's feet!

gmrakich
03-13-2007, 05:59 AM
Bargain by The Who
Anything of Hot Rats by Zappa

Afrolicious
03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Anything by "Control Denied" is great doublebass work, pretty difficult though.

Doom
03-13-2007, 12:30 PM
I would really recommend Sepulturas albums Chaos AD, Roots and Against. They use double bass but not just constantly.
Try to find the song Remembrance by Gojira, the part at the end is just mental.
If you really want constant double bass you could look into Krisiun.

fusssion
03-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Space Boogie - Jeff Beck "There and Back" lp ...

Simon Phillips..... WOW!!

Mr. Pasquini
03-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Anything Fear Factory is complicated. Look through their album Obsolete for some very interesting drumming. I also enjoy the double bass in a lot of lamb of god stuff. Check out As The Palaces Burn for some interesting stuff. Also, Mushroom head has some very simple drumming track. I'll look through all their music for you tonight to find some of the easier doubles in that. Good Luck!

druid
03-15-2007, 10:08 PM
I think the key is to work on excersises first....develop the speed and coordination without flamming....then worry about songs....get control first....I don't work on death metal that much but have the basic chops together to roll all night if I want. ...ok most of it. But the idea is to work on good control first then tackle the song you will be surprsied how much more confidence to have to handle it once you isolate and get your feet together.

sonor master
03-15-2007, 10:47 PM
if i can give you a tips: just try first to do basic thing you make whit your bare hand like single strokes double and paradidle if you want to see good double bass drum stuff see thomas lang video (from blast beat) derek roody, and listen some power or black metal like lost horizon,dimmu borgir, nightwish ,sonata artica,raphsody,children of bodom ,thing like that. but if you dont like metal .... just practice songle double and paradidle on double bass drum^^.

Melvin
03-15-2007, 11:46 PM
If you want to die, try listening to Virgil Donati, Alien Hip-Hop is a perfect example of DB crazyness. If you are a beginner try Mike Portnoy you can learn a lot from him.

sticksnstonesrus
03-16-2007, 05:21 AM
Perry Strickland from an old CA band (Vio-lence) had some of the fastest I'd ever heard. The drummer from Death, yeah, almost every song was doubles. Dave Lombardo's work on War Ensemble and Reign in Blood always impress. Not to mention some of his work when he did the whole Grip Inc. gig. Igor Cavalera (Sepultura)...on the Beneath the Remains album and Chaos A.D album. John Slattery from Cyclone Temple was another quick-foot...don't know if you'll turn up any work from him as they've been broken up for quite a while. Try Limewire. Other names that come to mind....Charlie Benante, Joey Jordison, Don Fomularo, Vinnie Paul.

Just thoughts.

Andy

xcrazzy2xbass
03-17-2007, 04:55 PM
As I Lay Dying- 94 Hours, Through Struggle, Confined
Haste the Day- When Everything Falls and the Closest Thing to Closure
The Black Dahlia Murder- Closed Casket Requiem

franklinj
03-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Malevolent Creation- ANY SONG.

Dave Culross is amazing.

Also, any Dethklok song.

cducar
03-18-2007, 08:51 PM
From first to Last has some good double bass stuff.. its like subtle accents though... its not a full out, avenged sevenfold typewhere its the main part of a fill. Its pretty good though.

Horizonchaser
09-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Theres many I would recommend that have been said already, I would like to emphasise Lamb of God as thers lots of technique there, try the verses of 'Ruin' for some fast triplets 'Black label' also has some fast verse beats.

Heres one purely for speed , My Fears Have Become Phobias by As Blood Runs Black - the last 30 or so second are manic, throughout the song theres lots of bass training and some funky fills, but they are a very hardcore metal band so I dunno if you like that kinda music...

Wansapana
09-09-2007, 04:26 PM
The song I most recommend you listen to if your learning double bass is the click from a Boss DB-60 metronome. Once you develop a consistency in your playing Lamb of God is great for speed, also check out Children of Bodem.

That Guy
09-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Motley Crue: "Red Hot". Fun db tune.

DreamTheater4life
09-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Dream Theater- The Glass Prison
Pull Me Under

Every Nile song ever
Every Hate Eternal song ever
Every Behemoth song ever
Alot of Into Eternity songs.

that's all i got for now haha

brennenlesser
09-10-2007, 02:49 AM

The Faceless, Job For a cowboy, AS Blood Runs Black, Brain Drill.

I'd say learn ur roll exercise with your feet, it did a lot for my playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ertQiT9xr9A

DrummerAz
09-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Intro to Follow you home- Nickelback

Raining Blood- Slayer

Follow you home is such a great song especiall the intro

i tried it on single pedal and i nearly got it :D:D

listen to the end of pray for plagues by the bring me the horizon, its so amazingly fast its unbeleiiiiiiiivable :S

slingerland755
09-12-2007, 04:55 AM
If you're into just listening to great double bass songs, check out Hard Rock Lover by Mother's Finest (Barry Borden on drums). A truly amazing lick at the beginning of the tune. You can even hear the lead singer go "Yeah!" after the lick. Terry Bozzio also does some unique things with two bass drums in old Zappa, U.K. and Missing Persons tunes. I love the way he ends songs with a little flurry on the kicks. It's not your typical dodo dada dodo dada. Most guys can play that stuff in their sleep now-a-days.

Also, check out some of Simon Phillips exercises here on Drummerworld. If you want to get your mind going on some killer exercises. That would be a nice goal to shoot for.

Dibalo Jonze
09-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Once you get your feet working, don't limit yourself to songs that already have double bass in them. Play DB along to some 70's rock or any song that doesn't already have DB in them so that you can more easily hear how clean yours are coming through. Get creative with it and don't forget to work on triplet grooves so that you can integrate DB into jazzier or shuffle contexts.

altered_beast
09-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Meshuggah: I

Hahaha good luck learning all 21 minutes of that!!

schist
10-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Okay, I'm going to be frank with you here. All these folk that have suggested Nile, Behemoth, "Among the Living"-era Anthrax, "Reign in Blood"-era Slayer etc. songs - don't try them. Why? Because it's very unlikely that a beginner at double-bass will nail them. I mean, I don't think I've seen anyone who's just been playing double-bass for 2 weeks nail "Cast Down the Heretic" spot-on!

That said, before you go playing any song, play along to a metronome to build your consistency. Then once you're confident in that respect, try songs with slower double-bass such as "Only" by Anthrax, "Eraser" by Hypocrisy or maybe "Dig" by Mudvayne. A lot of double bass drummers also cut their teeth on "Red Hot" by Motley Crue, although I've never actually heard the song ...

Then try some power metal stuff (whose double-bass usually revolves around the 140 - 180BPM area) - stuff like Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, some Angra etc.

For broken-up kick patterns, try something like "Archetype" by Fear Factory - a fun song to play in this area for me!

But at the same time, DO NOT dismiss the idea of playing with a metronome, for obvious reasons.

I'm not trying to crush your spirits here, I'm merely being realistic. I've been playing double-bass for about 4 to 5 months and only recently have I been able to (just) play stuff like "Ruin" by Lamb of God and "Demon of the Fall" by Opeth.

Hope this helps.

- Adam

DrummingInsomniac
10-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Here are a few good double-bass songs:

Avenged Sevenfold - Anything really, The Beast and the Harlot will tire yourself out pretty fast which helps you're stamina and speed.

Killswitch Engage - The Arms of Sorrow (pretty easy double bass, keep trying to imitate it till your speed gets fast enough)

I'd stick with those 2 for now, killswitch engage isn't to entirely difficult to learn and A7X stuff will help you learn EVERYTHING.

spartacus1989
10-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Killswitch Engage - The Arms of Sorrow (pretty easy double bass, keep trying to imitate it till your speed gets fast enough)

That track fascinates me!

Gilded
11-09-2007, 10:36 AM
This Calling - All That Remains

lewisn27
03-25-2008, 08:38 PM
a gunshot to the head of trepidation by trivium, it's awesome, it has a really good groove, and the first part of in the presence of enemies (its in the first minute or so) by dream theater.

MykeyInChains
03-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Here are some awesome grooving easy double bass songs that are really satisfying to get down:

Lamb of God "Omerta"

Strapping Young Lad "Aftermath"

Hatebreed "To The Threshold"

Primus "Jerry Was a Race Car Driver"

dandadrummer
03-26-2008, 05:23 AM
The Faceless, Job For a cowboy, AS Blood Runs Black, Brain Drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ertQiT9xr9A

yeah right he's a god if he can learn by playing to job for a cowboy

FFFF
03-28-2008, 02:21 PM
All these songs...Trivium, As I Lay Dying and all that...aren't they a little too hard for someone's who's just trying out double kicks? I mean I don't play them(soon, I will), and these songs are already too hard to air drumming already! Or am I just that bad of a drummer?

what I would recommend for absolute starters would be Iron Maiden's Brave New World, and that I mean the entire album itself. It's not fast or complicated, pretty much regular tempo 16th notes, to get both feet working and the basic co-ordination for double kick playing.

PQleyR
03-28-2008, 08:07 PM
The only thing about doing Maiden songs is that Nicko McBrain doesn't use a double kick pedal or two bass drums (the exception being 'Face in the Sand' on Dance of Death), so the parts might be constructed in a way that's different to how you'd do it with two kick pedals.

Mediocrefunkybeat
03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
All these songs...Trivium, As I Lay Dying and all that...aren't they a little too hard for someone's who's just trying out double kicks? I mean I don't play them(soon, I will), and these songs are already too hard to air drumming already! Or am I just that bad of a drummer?

what I would recommend for absolute starters would be Iron Maiden's Brave New World, and that I mean the entire album itself. It's not fast or complicated, pretty much regular tempo 16th notes, to get both feet working and the basic co-ordination for double kick playing.

All single bass mate. All single bass on that Maiden album.

darkstar442
03-28-2008, 11:30 PM
well i only listen to metal so i no a lot of db but its to much for beggining. but if you want something thats complex try out the song...

Annihilation of the Wicked by nile, there will be no way you could play it unless youve been playn for awhile. but its a good song to listen to so when you get good try it out

balboa
03-28-2008, 11:55 PM
A Sceptics Universe by Spiral Architect
Great Southern Trendkill by Pantera
Awake by Dream Theater
Chaos AD by Sepultura

bacca
03-29-2008, 12:29 AM
for anyone who wants a db challenge..listen to machine head -burn my eyes album.
also mentioned on here sepultura-arise album...-enjoy!

Mediocrefunkybeat
03-29-2008, 12:41 PM
well i only listen to metal so i no a lot of db but its to much for beggining. but if you want something thats complex try out the song...

Annihilation of the Wicked by nile, there will be no way you could play it unless youve been playn for awhile. but its a good song to listen to so when you get good try it out

...Only listen to metal?

Why?

bacca
03-29-2008, 03:53 PM
...Only listen to metal?

Why?

with you on this....so much music to listen to/be inspired by....if you can incorporate/learn as many syles as you can,then a better drummer you will ultimately be..
besides you are missing out on so much musically....

FFFF
03-30-2008, 03:17 PM
The only thing about doing Maiden songs is that Nicko McBrain doesn't use a double kick pedal or two bass drums (the exception being 'Face in the Sand' on Dance of Death), so the parts might be constructed in a way that's different to how you'd do it with two kick pedals.

REALLY!!??? Everytime I saw a picture of Iron Maiden he has two bass drums!!

But still, isn't it a good starter album?

Bipitta
04-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Dthklk!!!

Pickles is indeed awesome!

And I've added nothing to this discussion.

Ben Tormey
04-04-2008, 12:16 AM
REALLY!!??? Everytime I saw a picture of Iron Maiden he has two bass drums!!

That seems difficult to believe.

kogo50
01-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Anything Trivium and Pantera - Becoming

MikeM
01-17-2010, 01:30 AM
I've been listinging to Meshuggah lately. Check out Bleed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc98u-eGzlc) for relentless in-your-face DB mayhem. I bet most double bass drummers on this forum who've been at it for 10 years can't nail this. I know I can't! I don't play DB anymore, but I still love hearing guys like this who can just destroy it.

Sure, if you're just starting out, you won't be able to do it, but who cares? The bar on double-bass drumming has risen considerably since "Hot For Teacher" came out. That was child's' play compared the the monsters these days. It's good to know where that bar is and to try and make friends with it as early on as possible.

MisterMixelpix
01-17-2010, 01:48 AM
How about "just about anything"?

Metal and double kicks go together like lamb and tuna fish. Pick ANY extreme artist and you'll have a million songs to pick from.

If you want your feet to fall off, try Laser Cannon Deth Sentence.

Ian Williams
01-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Fireball ~ Deep Purple. The only song, where Ian Paice uses a second kick drum.

BGH
01-17-2010, 05:20 AM
I guess I'm really old school, but I like any of the early Van Halen. I think Alex is a pretty decent double bass player. I like "Hot For Teacher" off of "1984", and "Loss of Control' off of "Women and Children First." But if I had to choose my favorite double bass song it would have to be the live version of "Boom, Boom- Out Go The Lights" by Pat Travers with Tommy Alldridge on drums. On this song a lot of people make the mistake that what they think they are hearing are rolls down the toms when it's actually Tommy's feet!

Old school here as well. "Hot for Teacher" great double bass intro (and fun song in general).

Michael McDanial
01-17-2010, 05:25 AM
Anything by Louie Bellson.

Ian Williams
01-17-2010, 06:01 AM
John Tempesta rocks: http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/johntempestamd97.html, what I like from him, is that he doesn't fill every hole with double bass drum - make it sound great!

MisterMixelpix
01-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Oh yeah, anything by Behemoth. Inferno may very well be THE double bass drummer.

metal overlord
01-18-2010, 02:38 AM
Despised Icon or Divine Heresy

BassDriver
01-18-2010, 04:12 AM
The Light That Blinds by Shadows Fall...the speed makes it difficult.

Also Bleed by Meshuggah, not fast but fairly complex and hard to keep under control.

Schism by Tool...the final parts have double bass and fast (but not extreme) triplets.

arthurk1
01-18-2010, 05:34 AM
Start off with something easy and slow like Red Hot by Motley Crue then go to faster stuff.

Dipschmidt
01-18-2010, 05:36 AM
Born of Osiris songs have some pretty intricate double bass patterns, particular Bow Down.

TNA
01-18-2010, 06:44 AM
If you are looking for speed Tim Yeung from Divine Heresy is crazy fast.

707Disturbed707
01-23-2010, 04:50 AM
The Legend of the Rent is Way Hardcore by Here Comes the Kraken (Insane!!! about 3:30 into the song)
Shadows Fall
Symphony X
All That Remains

MisterMixelpix
01-23-2010, 09:02 AM
LOL well if we want to just make his feet fall off...

Here Comes the Kraken
Brain Drill
Anything with Gene Hoglan as the drummer

Enjoy. Marco Pitruzella can blast at over 300bpm, so... have fun keeping up.

schist
01-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Schism by Tool...the final parts have double bass and fast (but not extreme) triplets.

Uh, those are actually linear swiss triplets without the flam (ie. RH RF LF RH RF LF etc.), otherwise known as "cheating" double bass triplets.