PDA

View Full Version : CYMBAL REPAIRS / MODS

Pages : [1] 2

BarryBuchanan
07-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Hey all...i recently cracked one of my Paiste 2002 cymbals and i hav just bought two iron cobras so im a bit skint 4 cash!!! does n e 1 no if u can mend cymbals at all??? thanks all

NUTHA JASON
07-30-2005, 04:24 PM
here is a diagram i drew.
i have also found that with a repaired cymbal it is a good idea to actually give it a small keyhole so that the repaired side is most likely to face away from your stick. with a radial repair like this, so long as the crack was small and not larger than 2cm then the sound of the cymbal will not be drastically changed.

j

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/cymbal.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/?)

RudimentalDrummer
07-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Bro Nutha Jason

That was very great info for all of us...thks man !

Brent W
07-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Dependent upon the type of crack it is, you might be able to get a replacement from the company, especially a larger company like Paiste. But they will only send you a replacement if the crack is a result of a manufacturing flaw. Generally, this is when a crack occurs on a lathing line or one of the hammer grooves. And in this case it usually takes very little toll on the sound of the cymbal. This happened with my friend's UFIP (I believe it was UFIP anyways) splash and the thing still rang out beautifully after getting a crack around the lathing line.

One thing I would not recommend trying to do, which about 75% of the drummers I know try first is to solder a cracked cymbal. First of all, the result will look messy and second of all, it will not do a single thing for the sound really (unless there was a buzz or vibration resulting from the crack), but this will not give the cymbal the sustain, volume, and depth it once had. When alloys and metals are cut and sculpted into a defined shape like a cymbal, one of the key factors in producing the sound is based around the concept of stress. It is kind of like a ticking time bomb because sometimes the right hit in the right place will cause all this stress to be released on one concentrated area across the cymbal's surface. The bright side is that the cymbal is 100% less likely to crack again once it is cracked. Thus, if you like the sound of the cymbal post-cracking, chances are you won't have to worry about being delicate with that cymbal and compromising the sound.

Also if the cymbal sounds nothing like it did initially and you hate the sound of it you have two other options. You can sell it. Surprisingly, there are a lot of guys out there in search of cracked cymbals for obscure projects. Like cutting them into weird shapes and using them to piggyback with other cymbals. I've seen some cracked cymbals go for as much as $50! The second option is probably a bit more useful. You can cut down the cymbal into a smaller splash or just use the bell and make your own ice bell (pending that the crack is not on the bell). This way no cracked cymbal goes to waste! If you have hook-ups with someone that works at a machine shop talk you could ask them to do it on their lunch break or if you can find the machinery to do it you can do it yourself. A guy my Dad worked with once made three ice bells out of three cracked cymbals I bought for $5. The result was awesome, The cut was perfectly circular and he even cleaned up the edge where the cut occurred. The cymbal looked like a brand new ice bell and it sounded awesome. This was a temporary fix for me until I saved up about $80 to buy a real Sabian Stage Ice Bell. The best part about this too is how I came up with the money. I ended up selling the three homemade ice bells (two smaller ones for $25 and the bigger one for $30). Thus, in the end I basically got an $80 bell for $5 (initial cost for the cracked cymbals).

Hence you can always profit of what you may think is old junk. All you need is the right skills and tools and sometimes the right perspective.

Best of luck with the cracked cymbal! You have lots of options and directions with it.

-Brent

BarryBuchanan
07-30-2005, 05:53 PM
thank you all! that diagram is great!!!!!!!! i hope the cymbal lasts long enough 4 me to get some dosh in!!! thanks..... i beta become a lighter metal player!!!!!! other wise im gona go bust!!! haha thanks all!!!
check out my band web site 4 pics of me and the drums.... www.nochaa.tk

Stevis
07-31-2005, 12:05 AM
Hmmmmm......Try drilling holes on each end of the crack to keep it from getting bigger. As for the crack itself theres really nothing you can do to fix it 100%.

GoDofUSA
08-08-2005, 11:33 PM
I was browsing ebay and I decided to buy a cracked 17" Paiste 2002 custom. From what I understand, the cymbal costs about 300 new.. I am fairly new to drums, but I bought it for $30 (inc shipping) considering I had some extra money to spend and i was curious, so i'm not too concerned if this small investment is a waste

anyway.. I am curious if anyone has used cracked cymbals because I hear depending on the crack size and location you can get a pretty cool sound that doesn't let you feel guilty about playing w/ a cracked cymbal. I also bought a new pair of Zildjian ZBT Plus high hats.. can't wait til i get 'em all!.. now i need a dbl bass pedal

Dill X
08-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Since January I've cracked a ride cymbal (1.5 inch crack), a crash (two 5 or 6 inch cracks), and a splash (four .5 to 1.5 inch cracks), as well as warping the hell out of another crash.

This is all from me just beating the hell out of them I guess, so I guess I would know a bit about cracked cymbals from my experiences.

With cracked cymbals, depending on the size of the crack(s), you usually get a sizzly kind of sound. The cymbals will also become quietter and less sensitive, which is a pain for a crash or ride.

But if you can deal with that and you like the weird sounds you can get, then all the power to you.

Superlow
08-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Since January I've cracked a ride cymbal (1.5 inch crack), a crash (two 5 or 6 inch cracks), and a splash (four .5 to 1.5 inch cracks), as well as warping the hell out of another crash.

This is all from me just beating the hell out of them I guess, so I guess I would know a bit about cracked cymbals from my experiences.

With cracked cymbals, depending on the size of the crack(s), you usually get a sizzly kind of sound. The cymbals will also become quietter and less sensitive, which is a pain for a crash or ride.

But if you can deal with that and you like the weird sounds you can get, then all the power to you.

Trust me, that gets old quick. Buy brand new cymbals with a one or two year warranty. I am pretty sure Sabian's HHX line gets a two year warranty. They are very good at honoring the warranty as well. There really isn't much you can do with a broken cymbal. I know people say they sound weird and cool but to me when a drummer plays live with a broken cymbal it sound like they are playing with a broken cymbal.

finnhiggins
08-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Right. If you want trashy cheap noises you can buy little thin cooking bowls for about NZ$2 (so about a buck or less in the US) from cheapo bargain-basement stores. They sound about as good as a broken cymbal does, and they have the advantage that for US$30 you can buy... well.. thirty of them.

You do have to tolerate the odd looks from the shop owner when you insist on trying all of the ones in the store out in order to get a good range of pitches though. He was constantly reassuring me that they're all of high standard, I think he thought I was testing for manufacturing defects or something. I kept telling him - I just want a nice range of sounds!

nate
08-09-2005, 01:01 AM
How the hell do you crack a cymbal?

Iíve broken sticks, skins, pedals (all down doing having s**** technique) and even bass amps and a couple of PAís but Iíve never cracked a cymbal in over 16 years...am I lucky? I dunno....Iíve always been playing zildjians. I like the sound. I don't have a light touch...what the hell are you guys doing?

..and nutha jason have you really cut down a 16" to a 14"ever, it would be pretty hard to get right wouldn't it...I used to do a little bit of metal work - and using tin snips was hard - well at least I found it hard...(good theory/pic though).

NUTHA JASON
08-09-2005, 01:15 AM
the splash in the bottom pic i made by cutting a 14'' bottom hat down using tin snips and sand paper.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/olddrums.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/?)
sorry about the quality but these are old photos.

cymbal damage can occour in a variety of ways. my last damage came from setting my crash too low so that it hit on the wing nut of my splash stand (not on this kit above).
also cymbals can be damaged in transit. sudden temperature changes or minute imperfections in the cymbal that grow inside the metal invisibly and then appear suddenly. after all good technique or not we do hit 'em.

j

nate
08-09-2005, 12:26 PM
the splash in the bottom pic i made by cutting a 14'' bottom hat down using tin snips and sand paper.

j

looks good - nice one....

rockzilla
08-09-2005, 12:41 PM
nutha ???

so you can setup your cymbals wrong

but wat is de good setup??? at what kind of degree must the stick hit and thing like that

rockzilla

NUTHA JASON
08-09-2005, 12:53 PM
well it was just the bell and a bit of bow from an old hihat so it was very tough. i inverted it and hammered down the edge a bit so it was like a china in a way. sounded like a pang. very, VERY loud.

j

ps: this photo was also taken 10 years ago. my cymbal set up has advanced since then.

Stu_Strib
08-09-2005, 03:35 PM
I've never cracked a cymbal, so I don't have a solution.

Oh wait, yes I do. Here is my diagram on how to mend a broken cymbal:

(scroll down)

http://homepage.mac.com/strib/drums/brokencymbalsolution.jpg

(j/k nutha, nice work)

GoDofUSA
08-12-2005, 11:29 PM
no wonder i didn't get any replies.. 'cracked cymbals' was already a topic! wow took me 4 days to figure that one out :x

Jaymasta
08-13-2005, 03:45 AM
Want to see my first and cracked cymbal I'll post up a pic but It's a very cheap cymbal It's the first cymbal I've ever owned......

NUTHA JASON
08-13-2005, 11:05 AM
post it and also if poss show your repair job. i'll also do one later.

j

NUTHA JASON
08-13-2005, 11:27 AM
...and here it is:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/qwer001.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/?)

NUTHA JASON
08-14-2005, 07:01 PM
i was aiming to make a splash but there is no way of denying it this cymbal is a ride!
i took an old cracked paiste 2002 top hi hat and cut it down to 8and a half inches. gave it a good polishing and then took it to the gig last night. it barks like a china pang when hit like you would hit a splash or crash but to my surprise the bell competes with the bell of my 22'' ride and even the bow is loud enough to cut through. it is a unique sound. quite dry and low toned for such a small cymbal and as you can imagine there is no wash but loads of ring. the metal is quite thick and so the sound is a ride.
when i got home this morining i buffed her up and gave her a paint job and now she will be a permanent feature on my kit.
j
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/3.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/?)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/2.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/?)

DogBreath
08-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Very nice, and that's a great paint job!

Dill X
08-14-2005, 07:23 PM
...decadent. Just decadent...

aahznightsky
08-15-2005, 03:22 AM
wow ... thats amazing! I would love to do something like that ... seems everyone loves to make new things from their paiste cymbals. Sweet idea!

drumzalicious
08-15-2005, 07:00 AM
that would be kinda neat to use on a kit.

NUTHA JASON
08-15-2005, 12:04 PM
yeah i'm putting it just to the left and above my hihat. that way i can do p[aterrns between the hat and the miniride as well as using it as an EFX splash in the funk songs we do. it is so loud that when i hit it and my 16'' crash in a flam you can hear it clearly. it's also so thick that it is fairly unlikely to break so this is going to be part of my personal sonic signature for a loooong time i reckon.

j

somedrummer
08-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Hey well done Jason.

I thought I'd try the same type of thing with one of my old hihats and tried some tinsnips on it, but couldn't get anywhere. So I'm asking, what did you use to cut that? thanks,

ROb

Drumkill
08-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Thats a funky ride!!!! Might be appropriate for someone who is height challenged such as my self!!!

NUTHA JASON
08-16-2005, 02:48 AM
hi rob. they were tinsnips but it was a pig of a job. i had to cut in a spiral and
also had to cut radial snips just to get the jaws into position each time. plus, because of the angles and pressures only about 1cm per cut was possible so it took hundreds of cuts to do the lot. i did it on the carpet and leaned my weight onto the cutters each time especially near the end when they were getting blunt. they only cost me £6 so they lasted just long enough to do the job.

j
ps i just found the ebay pic of them when i bought them (the top one is the one i kept. the bottom is the one i cut):
http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/4a/00/6b_1_b.JPG

RudimentalDrummer
09-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Yes ... I remember now. Zombie has 2 crack Paiste Crash Cymbals (that's why I loan them my 2 Crash - It's been 5 weeks now)...I'm taking back my 2 cymbals by end of this month...at the same time ... TRY MY LUCK...and see if they will give me the 2 Crack Paiste Cymbals, then go down to my Father-In-Law Hardware Shop and get him to (Mend it & Trim/Cut it using Machine)......

Hopefully I can get to hear some INNOVATIVE sounds comming out after whatever being repair. ...Whahahahaha...yes...yes I'll try to convince them to give me the broken Paiste 502 Crash Cymbals.

mlehnertz
09-07-2005, 06:19 PM
When I cracked one of my cymbals (Zildjian 16" medium thin crash) I had it replaced. The cymbal had a thin spot in one of the grooves during it's spin on the lathe. The thin groove ran all around the cymbal and it cracked in the same groove in three different locations.

CartersChops
09-12-2005, 04:17 AM
haha reading this has inspired me to mess around with my two broken cymbals. i at first had them stacked up on top of one another and it was awesome, i messed that up real bad by trying to bend the edges into a china, but wat the hell

Tomtheboringbum
09-16-2005, 07:34 PM
hey nutha jason
i was wondering if you had any advice or input on what to do with a crack on a china.
i own a 18" Zildjian China "Trash" which recently has developed a crack in the bend that runs around the cymbal giving it the china look. it is exaclty 2" from the the rim and runs around the cymbal roughly 3". it is not a very bad crack, u can hardly see it unless u are lookin for it, so i was figuring i would just drill 2 holes on each ends of the crack...is that a good idea? haha. any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. thanx

NUTHA JASON
09-18-2005, 10:58 PM
yes two 3 -5 mm holes on the ends of the crack should stop it from growing. i would also purposefully keyhole the center cymbal hole slightly so that the crack is always at the top or side of the cymbal where it is least likely to be struck by a stick.

unfortunately a bow crack is the hardest to fix and obviously cutting down a china would make it, well, not a china anymore. i hope the holes work.

j

Stone Cold
09-21-2005, 05:28 PM
How the hell do you crack a cymbal?

Iíve broken sticks, skins, pedals (all down doing having s**** technique) and even bass amps and a couple of PAís but Iíve never cracked a cymbal in over 16 years...am I lucky?

..and nutha jason have you really cut down a 16" to a 14"ever, it would be pretty hard to get right wouldn't it...I used to do a little bit of metal work - and using tin snips was hard - well at least I found it hard...(good theory/pic though).

well I don't think you're lucky...you destroyed more than I ever will...and I have one cracked cymbal :)

untilitsleeps
09-26-2005, 07:31 AM
i got a question what are tin snips?

DogBreath
10-01-2005, 08:03 AM
i got a question what are tin snips?
Tin snips. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002H49PI/qid=1128142888/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_unbuck_2/102-0099647-3544109?v=glance&s=hi&n=1000)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002H49PI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

NUTHA JASON
10-01-2005, 12:05 PM
or
http://www.tampico.com.au/images/stock/CUTTS1.jpg

basically man sized nail clippers.

j

fourstringdrums
10-01-2005, 01:42 PM
I should mention that if you do decide to drill a hole at the end of the crack, make sure you take a magnifying glass and check to see where the crack REALLY ends. You may be only able to see a part of it without getting a closer look. I had a Sabian AA Medium-Thin crash that cracked and my dad drilled a hole in it, but he must not have seen the actual end of the crack because the hole didn't stop it from cracking further.

mr_hayward_99
10-05-2005, 08:03 PM
I have recently bought a new HHX evolution ride cymbal. It is really loud and when i practice in my room it is too loud because of the acoustics.

so what i have done is got my old ride cymbal and duck taped 3 peices of pizza box, the plastic base,the bottom of the cymbal so it is much quiter. Now i can play with the pads on my drum kit and have a quite cymbal as well. i could have bout some pads for my cymbals but i dont have any money.

does anyone have any other things/modifications they have made to their cymbals. i know some people have cut down their existing cracked cymbals. but what about putting rivits in old cymbals, or hanging chains on them.

any ideas.

Vaibhav "Cross" Gadade
10-17-2005, 07:38 PM
yep...........u are right about that ride. sounds like a crash. but nice thing to do with that pizza box. i have a cheap crash/ride from zildjian that gets out of control too. ill try the same treatment on that. hope it improves.

bodinski
10-19-2005, 05:00 AM
I use a tiny piece of moongel on my 21" AAX Stage ride sometimes. That sucker can be washy when provoked, and the moongel takes the edge off for the most part.

richard_paradox
12-16-2005, 05:22 PM
I should mention that if you do decide to drill a hole at the end of the crack, make sure you take a magnifying glass and check to see where the crack REALLY ends. You may be only able to see a part of it without getting a closer look. I had a Sabian AA Medium-Thin crash that cracked and my dad drilled a hole in it, but he must not have seen the actual end of the crack because the hole didn't stop it from cracking further.

what this man said is true check to see where the end is i made this mistake also check both top and underside of the cymbal and use a real sharp bit to get a nice clean cut this mistake just cost me £180 yay

also i noticed older cymbals tend to crack after many years all my new cymbals are fine only my old second hand stuff broke after many years of abuse i have since changed my style (sticks used to last about 30 mins if lucky)

also do it quick if you spot a little crack / chip this will grow fast so do it quick and you can save em

Loge
01-05-2006, 07:08 AM
About 12 years ago I cracked the top cymbal of a fine pair of Paiste 602 Sound Edge hi hats - some of the last they made (sob). Couldn't see just pitching it in the waste can. Luckily I had access to an upright metal cutting bandsaw in the machine shop of the lab I worked at. Scribing the first lathe line past the crack gave me a guide to cut it downsmoothly and quickly. Since the cymbal lay flat on the cutting bed it made for a even cut. After that just a little polishing of the edge. I now have a unique 11.75" effects cymbal -played light, has a "clock chime" sound, Bell cuts like a mini ride (sorta' like Nutha describes) and turns out to be a very loud splash/crash. Bandsaw made it easy.
Oh, and I mated the intact Sound Edge bottom with a Sound Creation heavy top (same alloy) for the best hat sound I've ever had. Anyone need a Sound Creation Heavy bottom? (Just Kidding).

mediocrefunkybeat
01-05-2006, 11:31 AM
It slightly pains me to see a 602 in that condition *wipes a tear from his eye* but at least it was broken first and it's still going to good use.

Loge
01-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Yeah, it hurt when I saw the damage. Thought about the "hole and wedge" repair method discussed above. If it had been anything but a top hat, I would have done it. The crack was pretty extensive -almost 2 inches - Couldn't see it standing up to the abuse a hat cymbal takes as well as the constant rotation they make. I'm not a hard hitter by any means -in fact was using it in an electric jazz group. Made me rethink my cymbal technique. Sure don't want to break my Sig fast crashes!!!!

Found a 602 top on ebay yesterday - thought for a minute but decided I'm more than satisfied with my current combination.

PdoubleE
01-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I was just wondering....is it bad that i didnt cut a V shape...just a straight section......the reason i did this is because it dosent take out as much metal....therfor i thought that it would make it so that it barley looses any sound.....Dose this make the cymbal weaker?
heres a pic......

LumberjackIvan
01-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Thank you so much for the diagram, Nutha Jason. That is really useful, I have a bunch of old cymbals and recently cracked one. Thanks to you I can make it a splash. And my older chipped ride can see the daylight again. Thank you.

NUTHA JASON
01-17-2006, 10:56 PM
I was just wondering....is it bad that i didnt cut a V shape...just a straight section......the reason i did this is because it dosent take out as much metal....therfor i thought that it would make it so that it barley looses any sound.....Dose this make the cymbal weaker?
heres a pic......

bronze is surprizingly strong...used to be used for sword before iron and if you ever tin snip it you will find out. it shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.

Thank you so much for the diagram, Nutha Jason. That is really useful, I have a bunch of old cymbals and recently cracked one. Thanks to you I can make it a splash. And my older chipped ride can see the daylight again. Thank you.

a pleasure...please post pictures of your results - perhaps before and after pics? and let us know of any experiences you gained.

j

pearldjian0711
01-20-2006, 08:56 PM
has anybody drilled 4 holes on the bottom hat to make them like quick beats? if so, how did they sound at the end? im thinking about doing that to my hats to have a faster, cleaner chick.

BrianW
01-24-2006, 07:00 AM
I did this the other night after reading your post. It turned out a success. I drilled two holes in the bottom of my sabian pros. Im probably going to drill two more to see if i can get more of an effect. The sound is not extremely obvious right now (my guitarist couldnt tell the difference)... but i noticed it. I really think it made my hats sound better. Make sure that if you do this you have good drill bits. I started using an old bit (it was the only one i could find) and after about an hour my guitarist told me he had a new set in his car. The new bits went through like butter.
Anyway, i can now proudly say i have sabian quick beats.

pearldjian0711
01-24-2006, 07:55 AM
cool! i didn't want to do it without not knowing the outcome. now reading that it was a sucess, im goin to do that to my hats now. i don't have the money for quick beats but now i can make my own!

BrianW
01-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Awsome, drill two holes before four (just to make sure you dont get too much of an effect). Let me know how they turn out.

Garvin
01-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Does that just make the air pass through faster? How does it affect the stick sound?

TitanSound
01-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Yeah get a nice tight chick from the quick air release due to the holes.

I own a 14" pair of Quick Beats and they are great!

RudimentalDrummer
01-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Anyway, i can now proudly say i have sabian quick beats.

I just saw Sabain Hi-Hats with 4 holes at the bottom of the Hi-Hats...It's an original piece offered by the distributor here...I think it's an old Hi-hat...but Sabian does make it.

RudimentalDrummer
01-25-2006, 10:11 AM
I guess you have to be very careful in drilling the holes as you won't want to damaged the Hi-hat.

Anyway the Holes I saw on the Sabian Hi-Hats is app...about 2cm in diameter about 11cm away from the centre of the 14" hi-hat.

biscut
01-25-2006, 07:05 PM
What is the hole diameter and spacing from the center for quick beats?

blu
01-25-2006, 07:16 PM
do quick beats sound good for rock? what style are they made for?

RudimentalDrummer
01-26-2006, 04:38 AM
Quick-Beat are definetely...Nice Sounding Hats.... I do not know the holes demension...But I remember somewhere there is a thread and something written & picture about this Quick-Beat Hats.

BrianW
01-26-2006, 07:35 PM
http://images.misupply.com/products/original/Zildjian/59315.jpg
Quick beats. I drilled holes as similar as i could, i think i got it pretty perfect.

rendezvous_drummer
01-31-2006, 09:22 AM
The crack i have on my cymbal is 5 cm long. what should i do......maybe i should post a pic eh?

Redhead
01-31-2006, 11:38 PM
What are everyones genral thoughts on the raparing of cymbals repairs and mods? How do thay soud afterwards? Do thay sound ruffly the same if all you do is drill a little holeon top of the crack? The reasion i ask is I have a set of Zildjian Plant Z's, high hat and 18 ride/crash and im thinking i may beable to by some broken cymbles from some friends? How will thay sound?

LumberjackIvan
02-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Depends on how much money you're saving I'd say. If you can get some really nice cymbals, except for the cracks, for a really really low price, then go for it. Otherwise, I know I'd prefer to have a new, uncracked cymbal even if it meant a little bit of a price jump.

pearldjian0711
02-01-2006, 08:53 AM
i was aiming to make a splash but there is no way of denying it this cymbal is a ride!
i took an old cracked paiste 2002 top hi hat and cut it down to 8and a half inches. gave it a good polishing and then took it to the gig last night. it barks like a china pang when hit like you would hit a splash or crash but to my surprise the bell competes with the bell of my 22'' ride and even the bow is loud enough to cut through. it is a unique sound. quite dry and low toned for such a small cymbal and as you can imagine there is no wash but loads of ring. the metal is quite thick and so the sound is a ride.
when i got home this morining i buffed her up and gave her a paint job and now she will be a permanent feature on my kit.
j
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/3.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/?)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/2.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/y290/nuthajason/?)

im thinkin about doin this do my old paiste top hi hat. its a really old cymbal and when i cleaned it with some brass cleaner the color looked like a dull, somewhat pink color. so my question is how did you get that old paiste to look brand new?

NUTHA JASON
02-01-2006, 09:37 AM
after cutting her down to size and filing the edge nicely round i took some fine grain carbon paper, wet it and gently sanded the cymbal for an hour in little circles. then i took a buffing pad (sheepskin) and attached it tomy drill. i poured commercial brass cleaner and buffed the cymbal until it shone.

this was the fun part.

j

pearldjian0711
02-02-2006, 04:39 AM
what kind of brass cleaner did you use? will any kind work? right now i have zims brass cleaner..

NUTHA JASON
02-02-2006, 09:22 AM
something with a mild abrasive like a cream...i used brasso.

Afrolicious
02-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Speaking of cymbal mods, would it affect the sound if I painted my cymbals with usual car paint out of the can? I've rarely seen painted cymbals but it should be easy to do and not very expensive.

toolskid
02-02-2006, 01:44 PM
anyone know anyone awesome in london? I've got a very early old k ride which is one of the most beautiful rides I have ever played! The catch is that it has a small crack emanating from the mounting hole (like that when I bought it) - I'm waaay to scared to drill this myself and wouldnt mind a hand?

piedpiper
02-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Speaking of cymbal mods, would it affect the sound if I painted my cymbals with usual car paint out of the can? I've rarely seen painted cymbals but it should be easy to do and not very expensive.

Even if it did you could strip the paint off, with no damage the cymbal, could you not?

RMS
02-07-2006, 03:43 AM
I would like to trim down this Paiste cymbal to a 10" splash...I think that it will sound pretty good because it is so thin...I could also make it a 12".

I also have a 15" A Custom crash that needs a few inches taken off. I wonder how that will sound?

RMS
02-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Here's a pic of the A Custom. It's in pretty bad shape, some small cracks around the center, too.

DogBreath
02-07-2006, 06:43 AM
Here's a pic of the A Custom. It's in pretty bad shape, some small cracks around the center, too.
Ouch! That picture almost brings a tear to my eye.

RMS
02-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Ouch! That picture almost brings a tear to my eye.

Well, the Zildjian wasn't mine. My friend's old drummer abused and broke it, and it had been sitting in a basement wedged in a crack behind a door.

The Paiste, however, is mine and my former roommate initially cracked it, and I kept playing on it, so the original crack (radial) started to move along the grooves, so I cut off the peeling metal. I think it will make a great 10 or 12 inch splash after a visit to a machine shop.

What does everyone think? 10 or 12?

Smoky_McPot
02-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Heres a pic of my 17" A Custom Crash.

Looks like itll need to become a 16".

RMS
02-14-2006, 10:51 AM
You like green cymbals AND green sticks, eh Smoky? :)

Smoky_McPot
02-14-2006, 01:59 PM
The green is from my other crash - a Zildjian ZBT 16". However i think the colour balance of my camera distorted some of the colour on the A Custom tho, hehe. The ZBT is about 8 years old now, and had a pretty rough life - ie my 1st crash. I haven't polished it because I have heard so many people warnin of cleaning very ingrained cymbals because it affects the sound.

jazziscool
02-15-2006, 02:53 AM
I recently put 4 rivits and rivitted 2 tambourine jingles to an 18 inch flat ride. Sounds pretty cool.

Darrel
02-23-2006, 10:18 PM
hi sorry if this threads a bit old but ive just bought a 15"aaxtreme china second hand and its out of shape on the lip section looks like its been squashed or hit too hard so the lip has drooped down on about a quarter of the circumference
has anyone got any advice on fixing the problem or if its likely to make any difference to the sound? its a bit difficult to know without having another one here to compare to

RMS
02-23-2006, 11:37 PM
You know, having a china that is warped might just increase the trashiness, which may be a good thing depending on your preference.

Darrel
02-24-2006, 12:55 PM
You know, having a china that is warped might just increase the trashiness, which may be a good thing depending on your preference.
cheers mate if anything thats what i thought that it was a bit more trashy which is cool in the mix but just not as musical on its own ,
its only slight if at all but i just wondered if there was any easy fix like putting it on a flat suface and putting pressure on it.
i just didnt want to mess anything up with out getting some advice first!!

Mr. Polo
02-25-2006, 08:57 AM
I've checked out a couple posts on cracked cymbals, but would still like some advice...

I have a 1960's 18" Zildjian A series thin crash and it has a 2 1/2 inch crack near the bell. (The crack is too near the bell to cut it down to a smaller size crash or splash.) You can't even tell it's cracked when you play it. It really sounds good, so I'd like to keep this one around. And, I'm not interested in it becoming trashy sounding.

So, I'm wondering if I should repair it by drilling two small holes at the end of the crack to prevent it from growing, or if I should just leave it alone.

The cymbal has nice, long, sustain. If I were to drill it out, would it affect the sound?

If drilling out is the answer, what size bit should I use?

Any other suggestions?

NUTHA JASON
02-25-2006, 05:36 PM
check out cymbalholic.com for more details but i would use a steel drillbit 3 to 5 mm in diameter. drill from underneath onto an old bit of carpet. make the hole 1mm further than the leading edge of the crack (as often brass cracks internally before becoming visibly damaged on the surface)

j

ps: please post before and after images of your cymbal to help others in this thread.

Mr. Polo
02-27-2006, 02:43 AM
check out cymbalholic.com for more details but i would use a steel drillbit 3 to 5 mm in diameter. drill from underneath onto an old bit of carpet. make the hole 1mm further than the leading edge of the crack (as often brass cracks internally before becoming visibly damaged on the surface)

j

ps: please post before and after images of your cymbal to help others in this thread.

I'm including a copy of the cymbal as it is now. I checked out cymbalholic.com as you suggested and I'm leaning toward drilling it out and using JB Weld. There seems to have been some real success with that method. I'm just concerned about what will happen to the sound.

I'm going to continue to research it before I jump into a repair.

Any other feedback is very appreciated!

RMS
02-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Wow, that cymbal is really shiny for being so old! Must have been taken care of, except for that crack.. what a shame. I don't know about JB weld affecting the sound, but I know it will definitely hold the crack together! I've used it on an old car. I think the effect on the sound will be minimal if you wipe off all excess and don't let it dry into the lathe grooves.

Cool Cat Magee
03-03-2006, 01:20 AM
I have a 16" Camber c-4000 or whatever..and its awful (of coarse)

Has anyone had any experience with cutting it into a 8" splash or something like that?
Is this possible?
How do I cut it??

Sorry if this is a repeated thread.
thanks

pdp 9091
03-03-2006, 01:22 AM
just buy a new splash like an a custom zildjian for 60 bucks or even if u wanna spend less a paiste 502 for only 30 bucks...i wouldnt waiste time cuttin a camber cymbal

cdawg_2010
03-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Ya check out www.massmusic.net you can get AA and AAX 8" splashes for like $60

jangus
03-03-2006, 01:33 AM
Why doesnt anybody help with what he asked for?

I believe Nutha has some experience in this. I think?

mlehnertz
03-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Cutting down a big cymbal like that will not give a spash-like sound if that's what you're looking for. It's simply too big. It'll give you a sound, and it might be worth checking out, but if you're looking for a splash, buy one.

Cutting it... Hmmm, that I can't tell you. Perhaps a lathe if you have one available? A metal saw and grinding wheel?

Has anyone had any experience with cutting it into a 8" splash or something like that?
Is this possible?
How do I cut it??

thanks

RMS
03-03-2006, 02:20 AM
Yes, there's already a thread addressing this, it's right at the top in the cymbals forum. I have some pics of a cymbal I want to cut down, on the last page:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272

mlehnertz
03-03-2006, 02:43 AM
Or, you could buy some Paiste color sound cymbals from eBay. That was quite the short-live fad, wasn't it?

brittc89
03-03-2006, 03:05 AM

Is this possible?
How do I cut it??

thanks
Aww man. Cutting a spun cymbal, or any cymbal is very difficult. You have to use an industrial cutting tool of sort. I tried to use a medium sized rotary saw on an old ZBT and I broke the bit, plus ended up with tons of shards of cymbal everywhere; hair, clothes, socks (that one was an ouch).

harryconway
03-03-2006, 04:37 AM
If you have a connection with a metal shop, it can be done, but it's a gamble. Putting a cymbal on a lathe will get you a smaller cymbal. That's about the only guarantee. What it will sound like is anybody's guess. A drum shop here in L.A. was saying they would send your cracked cymbal to "some guy" with a "military lazer" and for x$, I think it was all pretty much bull.

Stevesmithfan
03-03-2006, 04:53 AM
Don't do it. Splash cymbals are cheaper than paying someone to cut your cymbal. Bad idea.

illinidrummerdude
03-03-2006, 05:08 AM
i had a buddy who had a cracked18 zil customz and anothor friend he used a lazer to cut it so it was perfect the sound that was another story

workinprogress
03-03-2006, 05:29 AM

Is this possible?
How do I cut it??

thanks

I am going to try and cut a 15" sabian crash with this big bandsaw at work. I actually found the cymbal in a dumpster. Its got a nice llong crack in it. Will let you know how it goes.

hevy kevy
03-03-2006, 05:30 AM
YES it is possible. I gave myself a Dremel for christmas last year, and it works great!
Put a drumstick into a vise vertically, put the cymbal hole on the stick, and slowly work it back and forth while you hold the dremel in your other hand. I have a cymbal that I cut 2"
off, and it sounds great, and another that I cut off so the cymbal looks like a slice of pizza,
and it sounds great. As long as the shape is symetrical, the cymbal will ring. And if it doesn't work, it was broken anyway, right?
I had a cymbal years ago that broke all the way around in the middle. I felt it was my duty to present the clubowner with the "no bell " prize!

mlehnertz
03-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Interesting... If you could rig something up where it held the drumstick and the dremel tool at the same time, that'd work I bet. Sort of a router table kind of contraption.

YES it is possible. I gave myself a Dremel for christmas last year, and it works great!
Put a drumstick into a vise vertically, put the cymbal hole on the stick, and slowly work it back and forth while you hold the dremel in your other hand. I have a cymbal that I cut 2"
off, and it sounds great, and another that I cut off so the cymbal looks like a slice of pizza,
and it sounds great. As long as the shape is symetrical, the cymbal will ring. And if it doesn't work, it was broken anyway, right?
I had a cymbal years ago that broke all the way around in the middle. I felt it was my duty to present the clubowner with the "no bell " prize!

RMS
03-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Ok, I cut down the Paiste with some cheap metal shears from Target. I used pretty much the same method that Nutha Jason did on the first page of this thread. I really wanted to have it professionally done but no one I called thought they could do it, so I had to do it myself anyways. I was afraid of the metal snapping, but it is somewhat pliable because it's thin. It is still very rough, as sanding it will take a while. It's hard to see from my fuzzy camera phone, but it looks like a saw blade right now. But I can already tell that it will sound good, probably because the bell on this cymbal was small to begin with, and it is still proportionate to the diameter of the whole cymbal. It's now roughly 11.5 inches and will be 11 inches when complete. I will pick out a lathe line to use as a final guide for a perfect circle.

Before and after:

mapexmaster911
03-24-2006, 05:16 AM
does anyone no of a place i can take my cracked cymbals to get the bells cut out? does home depot have anything that could help me out? thanks guys.

hevy kevy
03-24-2006, 05:19 AM
Dremel! under $100.00 Drumstick in a vise, slowly rotate the cymbal back and forth while you cut. photos at Tips section of www.drum-wrap.com

RMS
03-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Well after I made the rough cut I bought a drum sanding bit for my drill. So that's kind of like using a dremel. Except the sanding drums lasted just long enough to get all the sharp points off the edges. So I then finished it using regular sandpaper and elbow grease. I have yet to play it along side my kit, but it sounds good by itself, like a 12" splash. I wish I had a better digital camera so you guys can see it in detail, but it still looks like the fuzzy pic above.

RMS
03-31-2006, 08:53 PM
I have played my new Paiste 11.5 Extra Thin along with my kit, and it sounds great! It matches up nicely to compliment my other cymbals, plus now my kit is officially free of B8 bronze cymbals (my last splash was a B8 pro).

Now for that A Custom pictured at the top of this page...actually I don't think it's going to sound good, it's bell is a lot bigger than my Paiste's.

So a recap: Metal shears for taking off large chunks, a dremel tool or sanding drill bit to smooth out the jagged edges, and a couple grades of sandpaper to finish it off.

~tamadrummer~
03-31-2006, 09:28 PM
nice work dude, im glad it sounds good.

cdawg_2010
04-08-2006, 05:41 AM
do you have any newer pics from when you finished it and rounded it off. also, good to know that it turned out to sound good.

RMS
04-08-2006, 09:43 AM
I can take a picture for you next time I practice...Tuesday night. My drums are in storage. I will use a better camera this time...

TAMAdrummer12
04-12-2006, 05:35 AM
i have a question..is it possible to fix my splash???
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/XTheEvolutionX/Drums/Picture078.jpg

RMS
04-12-2006, 12:39 PM
I forgot to bring a camera to practice tonight...Tamadrummer12, I think your splash has had it. Were you not using bottom felts? It looks like it cracked from hitting something it was mounted on.

TAMAdrummer12
04-12-2006, 11:10 PM
I forgot to bring a camera to practice tonight...Tamadrummer12, I think your splash has had it. Were you not using bottom felts? It looks like it cracked from hitting something it was mounted on.
yea i had felts on the bottom..i just think it was on there too tight

RMS
04-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Oh yeah, that'll do it. Maybe you can mount it on a giant cymbal stand? Or make some art out of it.

RMS
04-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Okay, guys, since I am happy with how my Paiste turned out, I am going to go ahead and try to do something with that A Custom that's pictured on page 3 of this thread. I'm going to ask Johan in his thread for some advice, because I might actually hammer this one a bit after I shear a few inches off...

bvrettski
04-30-2006, 06:56 PM
I recently purchased 3 nice but cracked cymbals in an effort to expand my cymbal collection. (1 20" paragon crash and 2 19" istanbul crashes. All have edge cracks ranging from 1/2" to 2" and I'd like to find some information on trimming these down.

I want to do a nice job of it and end up with a professional result.

My two thoughts on this are:

One:
To mount the cymbal on an electric motor like a grinder and use lathing tools to score and weaken the cymbal until the outer/ damaged area can be removed.

Problem- I don't like the idea of fast turning metal objects flying apart on me.

The other idea is to mount a metal cutting blade like chop saws use and make a holder to turn the cymbal.

If anyone has any good links on how to do this or other ideas I'd love to hear them.

My first choice will be a metal fabricator or machine shop if I can find one who can do this at a reasonable price.

Thanks

RMS
05-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Well if they are just radial cracks, then I would follow the repair instructions that Nutha posted on page 1 of this thread...that way you can preserve as much as the sound as possible. I would do this with the smaller cracks, and if you don't like how they sound you can always take more metal off. I had to cut my cracked cymbals down becaue they were badly damaged, big chunks missing.

And you can get metal shears at Target for like eight bucks, they will last through one cymbal that size. I did two smaller cymbals before mine got dull.
I was very worried when I started that I would crack the cymbal more...but they are suprisingly malleable, a result of the tempering process. My Paiste was easy to cut. but with the A Custom the shears were getting dull and I would make a cut and rip the piece off with pliers.

Before I attempted this I called five or six metal fab shops and only one guy said that he would do it. But he lived way across the river and wanted a bit more than I had...so that was justification to do it myself.

Pharcyde
05-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Ok, so I've just won the auction on this item: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7410661025&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:AU:11

(The Price is in Australian dollars in case you're wondering why I got ripped off :)

As you can see, the AAX Crash has a tiny crack in it. I want to know what I can do to stop this crack from getting bigger once I receive the cymbal. I understand that you can drill holes at either end of the crack. Does that mean the holes I drill should connect to the crack? Or be just past the crack.

Any other suggestions for this?

Thanks

fourstringdrums
05-03-2006, 04:56 AM
The popular thing to do seems to be drilling a tiny hole at each end of the crack to stop it. Just make sure you use a magnifying glass to see where the crack REALLY starts and ends. Sometimes it may be so minute that the naked eye has a hard time seeing it and you'll actually drill a hole on top of the crack and it will just continue.

RMS
05-03-2006, 07:39 AM
I think it's very wrong that he would describe the AAX as "perfect" so many times...when there is a crack in it. A crack is a crack is a crack, they only get bigger, not smaller. I know he mentioned the crack a few times, but still, you know?

Since you're stuck with it now, you need to do something about it. The drilled holes work, but I would be wary of doing it so close to the bell...could affect the sound quite a bit. But I would ask Johan the cymbal-maker for his opinion. He puts holes in some cymbals for effect, so he would know more than me.

Consider J&B Weld epoxy steel. It's very strong, and if you are able to get some of it between the cracks and a thin layer around the top and bottom, I would guess that it would hold the crack together without furthur altering the sound as much as little holes...make sure you clean the area first so it stays stuck and use as little as possible.

low-tech
05-07-2006, 01:20 AM
i just dremel tooled a 16" crash into a 12". its a cheap brand i never heard of and ended up pretty good. so using a dremel tool this could be done in little more than an hour. i went thru alot of cut-off bits tho<about 6 or 7> but it seemed more practicle than using a bench grinder or a dewalt hand held. i started out with tin snips but that was way too much work. definately have something mechanical to do the cutting<i can barely close my right hand> for you. i sanded the edges down and it wasnt a perfect circle but if i go all out sanding those edges for a few hours i would definately come close.

so im gonna start collecting other peoples unwanted cymbals and try out more. the one i did came out alot better than what it sounded previously, but it was so low quality that it isnt something id use<i even concaved it and it sounded better>. i got a ride thats cracked around the bell and i may convert it to a mini bell sometime soon. a dremel could do it in 15 minutes

so im just throwing that out for you guys, dremel tool is the way

RMS
05-07-2006, 04:33 AM
If anyone uses a Dremel tool or the like make sure you wear gloves and eye protection. Actually, it's a good idea even if you are using metal shears. Sometimes pieces fly off, and the edges can get quite sharp.

I don't really think it's that hard with the metal shears...are tin snips slightly different? I used a pair just like the picture Dogbreath posted on page one of this thread...Nutha posted some pics of tin snips, and they look different.

Yes my hand was sore after I was done, but I cut out a rough circle in about 20 minutes, with no metal dust to sweep up or inhale...

Oh yeah I guess a breathing mask is a good idea, too, if you're sanding.

low-tech
05-07-2006, 07:09 AM
oh yeah ,safety, gloves, eye glasses and probably whatever those cloth patches that you put over your mouth is called. change your clothes afterwords unless you dig bronze sparkle. ive done alot of demolition so im kinda partial to grinders and sawzals and getting downright nasty with tools<i actually tried the sawzal on this thing, extremely bad idea>

the tin snip is a shear i believe, i use to do drywall and had to used them on the steel stud. the thing about tin snips is you are suppose to have 2 so you can cut both angles, there is a right hand one and a left one. if you dont have both it can be a most frustrating experience. the one i was using was already worn out. i thought the whole project was doomed before the dremel came into the picture

unless you want a serious workout on the hands,to soon be able hold your sticks with kung fu grip after doing this many times, id say go with the dremel or a grinder anyday. i still want to try the wire brush extention of a dewalt hand held grinder to buff the cymbal, you could make ancient relic of a cymbal look striaght out of a factory with one of those

RMS
05-07-2006, 07:18 AM
If the shears are brand new, it will cut through a crash easily. Maybe not a heavy ride. I did my Paiste Extra Thin first, brand new shears, cut through like butta. Did my A Custom Crash with the same shears, was a bit harder especially near the end, but I used my death-grip and it worked. My mother has a glass grinder, but I wasn't sure about grinding away a 2.5 inch-wide strip of bronze all around a 15" cymbal...The amount of metal I took off weighed the same as the remaining cymbal

low-tech
05-07-2006, 07:36 AM
actually something just occured to me that may be a setback on the grinder/dremel. the cymbal will heat up real quick, hot like a frying pan. i dont know if this is hot enough to effect the cymbal in any way but it may.

edit. im gonna drill holes from sizzle rivets in a cracked zil ride 20" how many holes?,where should they be? and what should i use as rivets?

RMS
05-07-2006, 08:38 AM
I read somewhere that heat changes the sound.

As far as rivets go, an easy thing to try would be brass brads, like at an office supply store or really anywhere. Just put them in, and bend the tabs at 90 degree angles but only far enough so it doesn't fall out, that way it has room to move.

Thunderfm
05-31-2006, 07:12 PM
I have this Zildjian 16" rock crash with some major crackage. I was wondering if i could remove the bell and use it as an ice bell. How would I go about this?

Johan VDS
06-21-2006, 01:07 AM
I have this Zildjian 16" rock crash with some major crackage. I was wondering if i could remove the bell and use it as an ice bell. It'll only give you a tiny 'ting' sound, almost like a triangle.
If the cracks were an inch further away from the bell you'd have a much more powerfull bell.

But things only get really interesting if you can cut out the bell of a cracked ride, again with a inch of bow still attached.
That itself will give you a low pitched bell, but if you then also know how to hammer it, you can get a very high piercing bell tone or a complex oriental bell..

NUTHA JASON
06-26-2006, 05:27 PM
it is for this reason (pics above) and also the pictures of the A crash earlier that i have never been a big zildjian fan. their cymbals do sound good but, except for the Z series ones i do not hold much faith in their durability. i have broken a few zildjians and have seen a ton of broken zildjians but i have never broken a paiste. except for one and that was hitting a wall during a gig and another that i bought broken. but i'm a hard cymbal hitter and 2002 just have yet to quit on me.

j

Johan VDS
06-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Some people break Zildjians/Sabians all the time and don't break Paistes while others break Paistes all the time and don't break Zildjians/Sabians :)

The different nature and hardness of the alloys make that they break under different kinds of stress.

B20 is harder and more brittle than sheet-alloys but because it is doesn't bend/dent/warp easily it suffers less from metal fatigue.
Sheet-alloys like B8 and certainly B15 (Paiste alloy) are much softer and will just warp when B20 will break. But after repeated denting metal fatigue comes into action much quicker with sheet-alloys than with B20 so that makes sheet-alloys break faster in the hands of some drummers.

Generally you could say that if you only occasionally hit too hard (REALLY hard I mean) you'll probably break B20 faster while sheet alloys will just dent from a one-time excessively hard blow. But If you play hard constantly but let out the really excessively hard blows you'll probably break more sheet alloys in the long run.

Of course that's overgeneralizing since there are other important aspects, like the angle of the cymbals, the way they are tightened (or not), the angle by which you're hitting the cymbal, the tightness or looseness of your grip, the kind of sticks...

AvengedDrummer
06-26-2006, 06:27 PM
it is for this reason (pics above) and also the pictures of the A crash earlier that i have never been a big zildjian fan. their cymbals do sound good but, except for the Z series ones i do not hold much faith in their durability.

I believe that any cymbal will last you almost forever if you have proper technique. Ive never bought a cymbal just because of its durability. Another thing that drummers should remember is dont try and play death metal with a 16" crash! I belive this is called "overusing" or something. If your playing something loud get an 18" or bigger. (not saying you do any of this nutha, I just wanted to make a quick point.)

gringo998
06-27-2006, 03:59 AM
it may or not be a cymbal mod, but its a cool trick if your low on cash.,
i got a cymbal from a friends brothers begginers kit. those cymbals that come with begginer kits that arent an actual cymbal company that only come when you buy a real low end kit. anyway, so he gave me the high hats. i inverted them and they are some pretty good sounding splashes. one sounds like a mini china. its loud but fast and it probably wont last long, but hey, it sounds great!

oDDRuffs
06-27-2006, 11:36 AM
i have 2 modified cymbals, a 16 " pro crash cut to 8" and a mini china 14" k (this developed a bow break due to the exessive tension put on the stand nut)
cut down cymbals is very cool. doing this you get sound that never gonna find in any drum shop.
i love these two baby , the china sound like a k splash but dark and trashy as a china
the crash sounds like a bell / splash kinda thing.

i can tell you that if you gonna cut one cymbal use proper eye protection and EXTREME CAUTION AND CARE if you gonna use industrial machinery in the process.

im gonna record some samples so you can hear these little mutated metals.

BarryBuchanan
06-28-2006, 12:04 PM
wow!! its been quite a while since i started this thread..like back in october/september!! i cant belive it became a sticky!!! :D awsome!! :D Well just to let u know tht crash cracked again so it was time for it 2 go :( since then i cracked one of my Paiste 2002 hihats!! ive still got the matching 16" crash lying round thou..i use it from time 2 time..but when i get another boom stand i will use it on my kit.

Mediocrefunkybeat
06-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Just a question Barry, don't take it the wrong way. You seem like a pretty heavy hitter, how are you hitting your crashes? Straight down the middle? I've been through a few heavy stages now and then and I've never once cracked a cymbal, just trying to imagine how hard you have to hit it. Ouch.

BarryBuchanan
06-28-2006, 06:26 PM
naa im not a hard hitter..the hi hat and 18 was a good 3 years old b4 i had it lol..ive neva brokenanother cymabl...the reson i broke them b4 was cos i had them high and flat so i was hitting the edge alot!! now all my cymbals r tilted and have a much better sound :) check out my kit (link in my signiture)

Wegadrummer
06-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Good job Nutha, good information too! thanks..

Johan VDS
07-01-2006, 11:06 AM

I should hire you for making some logo's :)

mattwolfdrums
07-02-2006, 08:45 PM
A 12" wuhan china that I had cracked about two inches in, so I put it into storage for a couple years, then I recently brought it back out and made some stacks with it which cause it to crack two more inches in and around in a "circle", so I grabbed the wuhan and ripped it completely around. Now I use it as a bottom hat and an 8" splash as a top hat and together they make a beautiful sounding aux hat set-up

BarryBuchanan
07-06-2006, 12:44 AM
i just thought bout this..i know we covered mainly cracks and how 2 stop them..but how do you stop key holing from getting bigger? sand and smooth the inside of the hole again?

d.c.drummer
07-15-2006, 05:30 AM

Dude, yous should ajust yor angles and stroke style because cymbals shouldn't break like that.

Dan Den Drummer
08-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi,
Man!! I needed some serious courage to do this mod, because I've never done something like this before, but I'm very glad of the results. The sound's just amazing, like a splash/ china of +/- 90 Ä. The origin was a B8 pro 15" Thin Crash and I ended up with an 4,33" Splash/ China.
I wanted a Splash, but fortunately while I was moding, this beast jumped into a China.
So --> Splash/China.
With the rests I will make some bronze plektrums for elektrik guitar and bass.
Enough, let the pictures speak now :

ps: The cymbal didn't broke because of my technique, but because of it age. I bought it used.

Dan Den Drummer
08-30-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm sorry for the wrong order ^^

defunkt
09-04-2006, 11:26 AM

Hey Nutha Jason what did you use to paint the brand back on? That looks awesome. Teach me how!

If anyone else knows how to or has any ideas on this please tell me this!!!

Dan Den Drummer
09-05-2006, 12:17 PM
I've used a simple permanent marker. You know those markers which smell like oil and aceton.
It's easy to apply them and they last even if you hit with the tip on.

defunkt
09-05-2006, 12:46 PM
But it looks so perfect!
I was thinking you would have used a stencil or something

Lillkwist
09-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Hello folks, I had a minor accident with my ride the other day, as I dropped my case a few times, and naturally the ride took the damage for that.
You can't call it a crack, it's just like it has gotten a little rough on the edge at three places, really small, but I'm thinking; might that be a problem later? And if so what do I do? Should I just get really fine sandpaper and remove it?
I haven't read the entire thread (or the old one), so sorry if anyone already posted it.

Any help appriciated!

NUTHA JASON
09-07-2006, 12:00 PM
TO DEFUNKT
i used high quality acrylic model paint and did it by hand with a fine brush. first i practiced a bit on a piece of wood. also i cleaned the cymbal thoroughly. the bow of the P is a bit too thick but i copied it from the paiste website as best as i could.

TO Lillkwist
it shouldn't be a problem. a good ride will very rarely crack as the metal is so thick. but that depends on the ride and the size of the dings. i would leave it and just examine the ride after each gig. i examine every cymbal before i put them away as a matter of habit so that i am confident i will pull out good cymbals at the next gig.

j

defunkt
09-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Wow you did a great job of it.
Thanks I might try this

Risingdrummerwithnocash
10-22-2006, 03:01 AM
my zildjian scmitar bronze 16" crash has a crack running up it thats about 3 inches long, is there any way to fix it? i know it's too late to cut on eighter side to form a triangle or w/e but i was thinking about just cutting all the way around it to make it a smaller "splash" like cymbal, ne help is greatly apprecitated

badlydubbedsean
10-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Don't ever buy Planet Z cymbals! (well, I bet everyone knew that anyway but. . .). I Bought a Planet Z 18" Crash/Ride, and I used vic firth silencer pads on it. When I took the pads off, I was horrified to see that where I had hit the cymbal there where tarnishing marks, and a huge rusty line at the edge of the cymbal. Horrific. I'm sure it is something to do with the copper in it, because my ZXTs have no marks from silencers at all. I don't know what made me buy the cymbal in the first place, but I'm not sure it will fetch much on Ebay. I'll put a pic of the cymbal on soon.

my sacred music
11-27-2006, 12:41 AM
hey dude thanks for the diagram, i was just about to post somthing about my cymbal (which just broke) and how to fix it, and this thread caught my eye. the diagram really helped. thanks dude!!

Kevinm
11-28-2006, 11:41 PM
A lot of cymbal cracks are due to setup issues and how one approaches and strikes the cymbal.

BarryBuchanan
12-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Dan Den Drummer!! i love ur Mod!!! Especaliy the FUTTY custom :P

i popped back here cos ive got a small crack in my ZXT 16". Ive had them for a year and im amazed they have lasted this long!!! Ive played countless gigs and i have 2/3 band pracs a week and practice every day for 45 min!!

Now i need to look at the diagram NUTHA JASON did for me over a year ago!! cheers!

tamadrummer132
12-26-2006, 03:55 AM
i hvae a 10 inch, and an 8 inch zildjian a series splashes, that are both cracking in the middle of the cymbal. where the metal hits the plastic of the cymbal stand.

on the 10 inch moreso then the 8 inch, but is there anyway i can stop this?

RMS
01-10-2007, 01:09 PM
I would just like to say that the Paiste cymbal I cut down to a splash is still holding up well and sounds great, too.

arsenal1189
02-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Hey guys, does anyone know where to get that rope of metal balls that you can use to create the SIZZLE (edit) effect on a cymbal, want to put a nice older cymbal to good use and I liked the sound of the make shift cymbal

Exident
02-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Hey,
i got an offer of 60€ for a cracked Sabian 17" HH Thin Medium Crash.
It cracked under the sabian logo on the outside 7-8cmīs.
Can i repair it with the V-Form method?
Lg
Tobi

Mr. Pasquini
03-05-2007, 10:16 PM
My set of 13 inch TAMA brand Stagestar hats are now useless seeing as I have Stagg Black Metal High Hats. Now, I took the top hat and use it like a splash, sounds really good! I was wondering, would it be worth my time to drop the size? I have easy access to a lathe or any number of other things... I was thinking about using the brake lathe at my mom's auto parts store... Anyways, 13 inches is too big. I'm gonna cut it to 8 if someone here thinks it'd be worth doing...

The Penguin
03-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Hello good people of Drummerworld! First of all, I would like to say that I am new to this forum, and have been playing drums for only three months. My kit is a Stagg, but fit for a beginner. The problem is that my crash/ride has already cracked. I continued to play with it but now the crack is huge. See for yourself:

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5029/1001062tn5.th.jpg (http://img386.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1001062tn5.jpg)

So what should I do? Toss it out? Seeing as this my only cymbal (aside from my hats), should I keep using it? I'd really like a new cymbal but seeing as I'm a beginner and I have no money, that seems hardly justified.

max77
03-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Hello good people of Drummerworld! First of all, I would like to say that I am new to this forum, and have been playing drums for only three months. My kit is a Stagg, but fit for a beginner. The problem is that my crash/ride has already cracked. I continued to play with it but now the crack is huge. See for yourself:

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5029/1001062tn5.th.jpg (http://img386.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1001062tn5.jpg)

So what should I do? Toss it out? Seeing as this my only cymbal (aside from my hats), should I keep using it? I'd really like a new cymbal but seeing as I'm a beginner and I have no money, that seems hardly justified.

Stagg are poor cymbals ... When I started to play drums I used one Stagg 14" Crash and It cracks like the one on your pic ... Learn to hit cymbal before buying some good cymbals .. It's an advice.

tooldrums1000
04-14-2007, 02:10 AM
If i was you I would file it down all the way up to the end of the crack to keep the crack getting closer to the bell. This is just a temperory solution at least for my zbts. They keep cracking and i just keep filing them down. Filing it just buys you time.

tooldrums1000
04-14-2007, 02:14 AM
i hvae a 10 inch, and an 8 inch zildjian a series splashes, that are both cracking in the middle of the cymbal. where the metal hits the plastic of the cymbal stand.

on the 10 inch moreso then the 8 inch, but is there anyway i can stop this?

Mabey you can drill a keyhole somewere on the bell of the cymbal. Or file the crack down on the bell.

massaf
04-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi guys, 3 weeks ago my AAXplotion 16" Crash cracked. I bought it like 6 months ago and since I bought it to a third (since there are no Sabian stores at my country) it didn't come with guaranty. Take a look at the crack:

http://img147.imagevenue.com/loc945/th_91661_DSC01321_122_945lo.JPG (http://img147.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=91661_DSC01321_122_945lo.JPG)
http://img177.imagevenue.com/loc591/th_91667_DSC01322_122_591lo.JPG (http://img177.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=91667_DSC01322_122_591lo.JPG)

Can you recommend me what to do? Should I cut just the crack or should I resize it like a 14" or a splash?
The crack is like 5.5cm (like 2 inches) long by the way.

NUTHA JASON
04-20-2007, 09:14 PM
that's a very long crack.

try a radial fix(see below) first and then monitor the situation ... if it shows any sign or worsening or the cymbalsound is too drastically altered then go for a cut down to a splash.

see here for help on this:

http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id17.html

good luck and let us know how it all turns out

j

AvengedDrummer
04-21-2007, 01:30 AM
http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id17.html

j

Nutha, for the bow crack you dont always have to cut down the size of a cymbal. You should add that if you put two holes in each end of the crack and widen it so the two edges dont sizzle from rubbing together, that it'll be perfectly fine. My two cents.
-Matt-

Cymbalrider
07-20-2007, 08:02 AM
This is sort of modification. I've heard about lighter weight rivets out there like the brass ones compared to steel ones. I was wondering what would be involved in taking the rivets out of my 22" Swish Knocker and replacing them with lighter weight ones to get more of a sizzle effect. Then again, I have to find a place that sells rivets too... any ideas?

PsYcHoTiC.DrUmMeR
07-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Was just wondering, does writing on your cymbals with a niko pen or marker damage the cymbal at all? Doesnt cause it to rust or corrode does it?

KarlCrafton
10-22-2007, 10:07 PM
This is sort of modification. I've heard about lighter weight rivets out there like the brass ones compared to steel ones. I was wondering what would be involved in taking the rivets out of my 22" Swish Knocker and replacing them with lighter weight ones to get more of a sizzle effect. Then again, I have to find a place that sells rivets too... any ideas?

I had a Swish Knocker a long time ago, and it's a pretty cool cymbal.

If your rivets are still in good shape, I wouldn't bother changing them.
The Swish knocker is a pretty heavy cymbal (for a swish), and lighter rivets will get lost even though there's 20. Unless you want less sizzle, I'd leave them as they are.
Just my 2 cents on it....

I love rivets in cymbals--especially in Swish & china cymbals.

I've had to replace rivets in the past, and the only ones that aren't a real pain to put in are the split type rivets, where all you have to do is bend over the two ends a little.

I haven't been able to find those for the last several years...so if anyone knows of a supplier near Detroit please let me know!

The kind you can buy from cymbal companies, you need to use a tool to flange out the open end..which can get tricky trying to balance the cymbal, hold the rivet and the tool, and using a hammer to get the hole big enough.

I wish I could find the tool the companies use...

I bought Sabians 100 pack of rivets, and they were super inexpensive. They were actually stupid cheap, so I got a couple packs.

RudimentalDrummer
10-23-2007, 04:15 AM
I've bought some Bosphorus "Brass Rivets" that are specially made for Cymbals - they are sold in a pack (I think 6 or 8pcs) - and they are really nice - made in such a way with good clearance for sizzling effect....and it's cheao.

Cheers !

KarlCrafton
10-23-2007, 07:20 PM
I've bought some Bosphorus "Brass Rivets" that are specially made for Cymbals - they are sold in a pack (I think 6 or 8pcs) - and they are really nice - made in such a way with good clearance for sizzling effect....and it's cheao.

Cheers !

I got some of those too, but the shop doesn't have anymore, and since they don't sell a lot of Bosphorus cymbals, I doubt they'll get more.

They were easier to flange the ends over than regular silver ones.

They sound nice too. Nice and light, so the bounce around pretty good, with a slightly deeper pitch to the sizzle than the silver type to me.

I just found some more of the split rivets that are the right size this morning at a bigger hardware store--right after I post that I can't find any..figures.

I'm glad because they sound nice, and are easy to put in.

bentmonkeycage
10-27-2007, 01:43 AM
HEY DRUMMERS!
from a PRO DRUMMER to drummers---with MESSED UP CYMBALS--
I am new to this particular forum, so please be non-judgemental.
I have been doing drum tech consulting for a lot of touring metal, punk, and Noise bands in the past 11 years. I have gotten many requests for cymbal repair. I friended with an older gentleman in Tulsa, OK, with a machine shop, and purchased an old (BUT AWESOME) spherical cutting lathe. It is not digital, but very accurate. I can cut cracked cymbals from 4" up to 24". My charge is a flat $28 for cutting, beveling the edge to original, and simple polishing. Also I have to add shipping charges with FED EX or US Postal. (from ZIP 93309 USA--usually below 12 bucks) The cymbals can be cut for a splash, a gong type sound, an ice bell, hi-hats, a crash, or even a ride.
If you have 2 cracked cymbals, I can evenly match them for some rude sounding HATS!
Every cut cymbal sounds different. A lot of recording guys purchase from me, because of the low overtones that a cut cymbal produces.

Our WEBSITE (http://www.bentmonkeycage.com/drumshop.html)

gibeachhead
11-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Hey guys,

I was just checking out my set today as I usually do and noticed this crack in the concave portion of my 12" Zildjian Oriental China Trash. The crack is about 2 inches long. I really don't want to send it in for a replacement and wait possibly 4-6 weeks for zildjian to give me a replacement.

So my question is, what can I do to prevent this crack from expanding and so on?

Here are some pics, help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/NightCreeper/DSCN5835.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/NightCreeper/DSCN5836.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/NightCreeper/DSCN5837.jpg

KarlCrafton
11-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Is it too old for a replacement?
If you can send it in, but just "don't want to wait", and then try and stop the crack yourself, you will void any warrantee if you decide you should have sent it in.

Personally, I'd just send it in and get a new one.
4-6 weeks is going to go by anyway, and you'll still have a cracked cymbal.

The only way to stop the crack is to drill a hole at each end of the crack.
You have to make sure your hole is drilled so it is at the end of the crack, and going past where the crack ends (to make sure it doesn't go any further).

If you drill the hole and it's in the wrong spot, the crack will keep going.

A good magnifying glass is helpfull. Be sure to check BOTH SIDES to find where the crack actually stops. You can't always tell from just one side.

Good luck with it.

gibeachhead
11-30-2007, 06:59 AM
Hey man, thanks for the reply.

It actually still was within 45 days of purchase (I thought the return policy was shorter), so I did send it in, and the replacement should be here Monday. Though I will admit I am worried about playing on it, I did some research and found out that the China Trash is pretty fragile. I'm thinking about getting a Meinl 12" Gen. X filter china to replace it, sounds very similar from online samples and its half the price. Only thing is no music stores near me carry Meinl, so I cannot sample it in person. So I'm still undecided what to do, I really don't want to play a cymbal that starts to fall apart so fast.

Is it too old for a replacement?
If you can send it in, but just "don't want to wait", and then try and stop the crack yourself, you will void any warrantee if you decide you should have sent it in.

Personally, I'd just send it in and get a new one.
4-6 weeks is going to go by anyway, and you'll still have a cracked cymbal.

The only way to stop the crack is to drill a hole at each end of the crack.
You have to make sure your hole is drilled so it is at the end of the crack, and going past where the crack ends (to make sure it doesn't go any further).

If you drill the hole and it's in the wrong spot, the crack will keep going.

A good magnifying glass is helpfull. Be sure to check BOTH SIDES to find where the crack actually stops. You can't always tell from just one side.

Good luck with it.

rmandelbaum
11-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Here is a graphic that I slapped together to illustrate a crack repair. Some may find it helpful.

The dashed line represents the crack, The holes need to be drilled just beyond the ends visible crack. If there is an annoying vibrating sound you can use a dremel tool (http://dremel.com/ )to remove a small amount of the metal at the crack so that no metal to metal contact is made.

http://www.themandelbaumfamily.com/misc/crack_fix.jpg

Wavelength
12-12-2007, 09:44 PM
I recently bought a healthy pile of cymbals -- 14" Zildjian K Custom dark hats, 18" and 16" dark crashes, a 10" A splash and a 9" Oriental Trash Splash -- and got an age-old, beaten-up 18" Wuhan china free of charge. It features two sets of five holes (probably for rivets) and a hefty four-inch crack. I'd like to use is as a trashy, sizzly ride cymbal, but the crack causes the cymbal to emit a terribly abrasive "razzrr" instead of a nice "sizzll" (I know, I know -- one shouldn't use the words "nice" and "Wuhan" in the same paragraph...). Drilling the end of the crack seems like a no-brainer operation, but how should I go about enlarging the crack and thus preventing the cymbal from chafing itself?

Below are some pics of the subject.

Full view:
http://www.hostfile.nl/fpimages/tun9di8ohm/271/Kopio%20Wuhan_01_Full_view.JPG.html

The crack:
http://www.hostfile.nl/fpimages/6u8ohe8wdy/272/Kopio%20Wuhan_02_Crack.JPG.html

A closeup of the crack:
http://www.hostfile.nl/fpimages/4o27vwlenw/273/Kopio%20Wuhan_03_Crack_close.JPG.html

The end of the crack:
http://www.hostfile.nl/fpimages/p381hershy/274/Kopio%20Wuhan_04_Crack_end.JPG.html

Bob Smith
01-19-2008, 02:06 AM
looks to me like it needs ti get a heck of a lot smaller.

gretsch223
02-03-2008, 06:49 PM
where do you take a cracked cymbal?...to get it fixed with the cutting/drilling of the cymbal. I do not trust myself to safely do the procedure.

OldStampK
03-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I was just recently inspecting my cymbals and noticed a hairline crack in one of my old K's. I'm crestfallen, because this is a on-of-a-kind old 20" cymbal that can not be replaced. The crack is about an inch and a half to two inches in length and runs diagonally starting about four inches from the edge. On one side, it also looks like the crack may be branching out slightly in another direction. I take this cymbal out occasionally for low volume playing situations, but I don't know when or how the crack occurred. The crack has made no affect on the sound of the cymbal. Should I just let it be and monitor the cymbal to see if the crack spreads in the future, or should I get out the (shudder) drill? Any input would be appreciated.

Also, I have another cymbal that has an edge ding. Is there a way to deal with that to insure it doesn't turn in to a crack without taking a chunk out of the cymbal? Should I file it or leave it alone?

lewisn27
03-29-2008, 10:32 PM
where do you take a cracked cymbal?...to get it fixed with the cutting/drilling of the cymbal. I do not trust myself to safely do the procedure.

sabian (i don't know any other brands that do this) have a one year garuntee so if it cracks you can send it back to the factory within a year they fix it for you.

Dr_Funky
04-05-2008, 03:55 AM
I'm thinking of maybe putting some rivets in my 18" Paiste Signature Thin China.

What do the rivets exactly do to the sound besides adding the sizzle to it? I heard they also deaden the sustain of the cymbal sound and I was wondering how many I should put in.

Kingfisher91
05-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Uhm, what tool do you use to cut down the cymbal, I have a 15" Stagg Medium Brilliant crash with a great sound, but theres a crack in it :( thinking of might trying the things with the keyholes first though.

boomboomda
06-02-2008, 01:34 AM
I have this 15" 2002 Paiste black label crash cymbal, that was badly cracked.
Finally today I took the time to cut it down.
Here are some pics.

crdirtRider856
06-18-2008, 06:26 AM
i have a paiste reflector 18" china that is badly cracked and starting to peel. can it be welded or would that ruin it?

Steamer
06-18-2008, 06:41 AM
i have a paiste reflector 18" china that is badly cracked and starting to peel. can it be welded or would that ruin it?

The heat involved in welding would further damage the already damaged by the crack cymbal. It will ruin what's left of it sound and a chunk of the cymbal after getting very brittle around the highly heated area near the welding process will break right off in the process. Can't use high heat on finished cymbals to do this or any type of repair. It's a BIG no no so sorry it won't help.

DamoSyzygy
06-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Correct - Because the metal is tempered when they forge the cymbal, So reheating will make the cymbal brittle. You may fill the crack, but be prepared for the rest of the cymbal to shatter :)

ericmiles
06-19-2008, 01:42 AM
The best thing to do to deal with a crack in a cymbal is to cut it out.

Basically, cut out a smooth curve around the crack.

I don't know exactly what the best type of saw to use is, but I had it done by a shop in San Francisco called Sam Adato's Drum Shop. And they did a PERFECT job on it. The crack was growing, they cut it out, and it's been the same ever since. It did slightly effect the sound of the cymbal, but not in a bad way.

I don't know where you are from, but if you live anywhere near the west coast of the US this is your best option. If you don't, give a call to the shop (I'm sure you can find the number on the internet) and get some advice. They're super friendly and knowledgeable.

eric

crdirtRider856
06-19-2008, 03:13 AM
The best thing to do to deal with a crack in a cymbal is to cut it out.

Basically, cut out a smooth curve around the crack.

I don't know exactly what the best type of saw to use is, but I had it done by a shop in San Francisco called Sam Adato's Drum Shop. And they did a PERFECT job on it. The crack was growing, they cut it out, and it's been the same ever since. It did slightly effect the sound of the cymbal, but not in a bad way.

I don't know where you are from, but if you live anywhere near the west coast of the US this is your best option. If you don't, give a call to the shop (I'm sure you can find the number on the internet) and get some advice. They're super friendly and knowledgeable.

eric
thanks man, i live in jersey and have had cracks cut out of a 18" b8 crash but it kept cracking at the apex of the cut. i ended up cutting it down to 6 1/2 " resulting in a chimey sound(like gavin harrison's chime set) but this china is my favorite cymbal and i dont have the heart to take a big chunk out of it. years ago i had my expansion chamber on my dirtbike welded and it lasted for years even though it recieves TREMENDOUS vibrations. the weld was a very low temp. and i think i ll give it a try.i will definitely let everyone know what happens. what have i got to lose?, the cymbals almost unplayable now so if it works- great, if not at least i can retire it knowing i did everything i could to save it. as you know, drummers can become quite attached to their gear.lol drum on !

stasz
06-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Shame to hear about that reflector china. As stated above it can't be repaired by welding, but if you really want to repair it, look into cutting the crack out, as also stated above. A lot of times the best option is to just replace the cymbal altogether. I know it's pretty costly, but luckily this is an option for you since the model is still in production. I wouldn't immediately dismiss cutting out the crack, but depending on how large of a crack it is it may affect the sound of the cymbal considerably. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Old Doc Yak
06-19-2008, 04:17 AM
I have a cold soldering iron that I've used to solder. Maybe dumb question but would a quick shot of solder work?

Steamer
06-19-2008, 04:17 AM
This is not a dirt bike part but a cymbal made out of a specific unique mix of metals unlike other objects made out of metal. It cannot be welded as clearly stated and the reasons why being #1 cymbals cannot endure high heat again after the first time they were originally cast rolled and annealed. If you want to see brittle pieces fly off during the welding process or even more later when you give it it's first real hit go ahead but since you asked and have been warned against welding it crdirtdider856 it's your call but it will ruin what's left of the cymbal.

Mediocrefunkybeat
06-19-2008, 04:25 AM
I have a cold soldering iron that I've used to solder. Maybe dumb question but would a quick shot of solder work?

No, because you're changing the metallurgical content of the cymbal by doing so and the variations in tension caused by cracking would make soldering/welding useless.

Steamer
06-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Well as the old saying goes a picture's worth a thousand words. Here's what happened as mentioned during an attempt at welding/brazing of a cracked cymbal. I borrowed the pic from another site so there will be no doubt of which we speak being true:

Deathmetalconga
06-19-2008, 04:46 AM
I tried to braze a cymbal once. Brazing is lower temperature than welding and you melt brass or some other low-temperature metal that flows into the pores of the two sides, joining them. It's a good way to join different kinds of metals that can't be welded together.

Like other people said, it just deformed the two sides and made them brittle. Cymbals are thin and made of bronze, which has a low melting point, and they're extremely sensitive to heat.

crdirtRider856
06-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the input,friends.I added this picture in case anyone was curious as to how bad the crack is...as you can see-cutting it out would probably not work. its gotten a little out of hand. it actually still has a pretty good sound to it, just not much volume left.I m not an abuser but this has been my favorite cymbal and i ve had cut outs on other cymbals that just cracked again and since i ve gotten about 8 years out of it, i would just play it to death.Maybe cut it down to about 12-13 inches and get an FX sound?(opinions,experiences,anyone?).I will not weld it though,as its been pretty unanimous to not even try. thanks for the past and future advice.

prempex
07-06-2008, 03:02 PM
i recently developed a 1cm crack in the egde of my 18" b8.
i we drilled it a little past where the crack appeared to have ended.
but ive played it for a few days,and the crack has continued on the other sid eof the circle we drilled.

any advice?

thankyou.

crdirtRider856
07-07-2008, 02:27 AM
This will happen. Drilling holes is kind of hit or miss.The edges along the crack can also chafe and affect the sound considerably. At this point you might want to cut the crack out in a U-shape. This will crack again eventually though too. After a few cut outs on my 18" B8 I ended up cutting it down to 6 1/2 " and I love it. Has a piercing splash/chime sound. Very cool effect.

prempex
07-07-2008, 03:48 AM
what tools should i use to cut the u shape?

i have been told tin snips, but wouldnt they just split/crack the cymbal, and not make a smooth cut?
any other advice?

crdirtRider856
07-07-2008, 04:08 AM
You can use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel but I would only suggest this if you are moderately experienced. You must be very careful with yourself AND your cymbal. Obviously a V shape would not work, it must be a well-rounded U. If you dont feel confident you can find a metal shop or music store that can provide this service. Usually $20 or less. It doesnt look great but it will buy you some time before replacing it.

tbmills
08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
i cut a 17" a cst crash down to a 5" bell chime called the mill-BELL

check it out

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll106/tbmills1/IMG_0377.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll106/tbmills1/IMG_0409.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll106/tbmills1/IMG_0412.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll106/tbmills1/IMG_0417.jpg

RudimentalDrummer
08-25-2008, 11:52 AM
That's is nice.eeee bro tbmills

tbmills
08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
what tools should i use to cut the u shape?

i have been told tin snips, but wouldnt they just split/crack the cymbal, and not make a smooth cut?
any other advice?

tin snips cut through metal like scissors and paper but they do leave a slightly round edge. get some 100 and 300 grit sandpaper and get to work. start with the coarse and work to the fine. itll work out nicely.

GRUNTERSDAD
09-28-2008, 10:20 PM
18 inch Masterwork Thalles series crash turned into a Swish Knocker with 20 rivets.

Sound Byte. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGgErPfL7r4

Locust Star
10-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi guys,
Unfortunatelly, from now on i'm an owner of a cracked Paiste Signature 18" Full Crash. I've just wanted to ask what would be the best to do with this kinda crack:

(yeah, this one's really dirty, sorry :] )

RyanL
10-29-2008, 02:31 AM
For that type of crack it'd probably be best to just cut it out.

mofle
10-31-2008, 04:10 PM
18 inch Masterwork Thalles series crash turned into a Swish Knocker with 20 rivets.

I just have to ask: Did you hammer a flange into it, or did you just put the rivets in? If so, doesn't that just make it a rivet cymbal an not a swish? A swish is achina type cymbal, with a flange on its edge..

SharkyBait911
11-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey guys ive got a sabian xs20 14'' crash and it has a big crack right around the bell about 2/3 the way around and i don't know what caused it, i got it second hand and i played with it for a couple of months and BANG there we go a big crack appeared i think it was me hitting it wrong because i was playing with it when i just started playing drums so bad technique.And I was wondering could i repair a crack like that !!!

Thanks alot

Tris

mofle
11-17-2008, 02:03 PM
It'll never be the same, but try drilling a hole at both ends of the crack. That will prevent it from cracking any further. If it makes a sizzeling sound, try widening the crack, and filing the unevenness away. But you eventually have to get a new cymbal, but it'll work for practise.

SharkyBait911
11-17-2008, 07:50 PM
It'll never be the same, but try drilling a hole at both ends of the crack. That will prevent it from cracking any further. If it makes a sizzeling sound, try widening the crack, and filing the unevenness away. But you eventually have to get a new cymbal, but it'll work for practise.

Thanks could you make a kinda effects cymbal out of it by like cutting holes out of it ??

SharkyBait911
11-29-2008, 11:38 PM
I got a picture of that cracked cymbal im talking bout.....

RMS
11-30-2008, 12:05 AM
Hey guys, haven't posted in a long time, but I just sold the paiste splash on page 2 of this thread. It went for $30 on ebay, about what I thought it'd go for. I also wanted to tell you about a few other cymbals I'v repaired/modded:

19" A medium-thin crash that had a tiny crack right in the middle, and a hairline crack in the center. I filed out the center crack, and had holes drilled for 3 rivets to eliminate the other crack. The rivets are large and aluminum, the cymbal sounds better without them.

RMS
11-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Here is a 14" K Custom Session top hat that had a y-shaped crack near the edge, and a small crack on the edge. Bought a five-dollar set of mini files. They still sound pretty good, maybe a little different.

RMS
11-30-2008, 12:28 AM
22501and one more: This old 18" A had a few cracks around the center hole. I got crazy with my mini files. I like this cymbal, it's on the thin side and I'm going to make it into a sizzle.

RMS
11-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Oh and Sharkybait: What I would do is mend the crack with JB weld or something stronger. I'm not sure what will stand up to vibration the best. But I think restoring the connection between the bell and the bow will enable the cymbal to project more, by transfering vibration. I would also go ahead and drill holes at the end of the cracks first to prevent them from spreading.

SharkyBait911
11-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh and Sharkybait: What I would do is mend the crack with JB weld or something stronger. I'm not sure what will stand up to vibration the best. But I think restoring the connection between the bell and the bow will enable the cymbal to project more, by transfering vibration. I would also go ahead and drill holes at the end of the cracks first to prevent them from spreading.

Thankyou and i will try. My bro is a mechanic i will get him to weld

Thanks

Tris

Tuxido
11-30-2008, 02:27 PM
and one more: This old 18" A had a few cracks around the center hole. I got crazy with my mini files. I like this cymbal, it's on the thin side and I'm going to make it into a sizzle.

You should put a grommet in it to prevent future cracks

RMS
12-02-2008, 09:24 AM
good suggestion, tuxido, but I think the center is still strong and I'm not the one who cracked any of my cymbals...that's right, none of the many cracked cymbals I've owned were damaged my myself. I'm a light, glancing hitter. But I may just put a grommet in, anyways, per your suggestion.

and Sharky: we've pm'ed each other about this, but just so everyone knows, JB Weld is not actual welding, but a steel epoxy which I think might work. Actual welding with a torch would damage the cymbal with the heat produced.

ddamm27913
12-24-2008, 11:38 PM
I wish i had a picture....

I had this really old crash from my first drumset and i was XXXXXwith it on the ground. I hit it with a rubber mallet and it popped inside out. The cymbal is now concave rather than convex but the bell remains the same.

Then i drilled some holes and put some nails in to make the thing sizzle. It's not ht ebest sounding cymbal, but i have yet to hear one on the market that makes a similar sound.

xiro
12-31-2008, 08:42 AM
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z231/xiro11196/IMG_1209.jpg
This is my worst victim, it began cracking and I just kept using it without drilling. what can I do with this? at least a bell i guess but i'm listening to ideas!
I also have a broken hihat set, also planet Z
and i have a wu han crash with a small crack on the edge and a crack near it that resembles an L or a T on the bow, kind of like the K posted earlierby RMS. what can i do with that? i'll post a picture later

RMS
01-31-2009, 01:24 AM
Well "The Cymbal Book" says not to even bother repairing the Chinese-made cymbals, as they are fairly brittle anyways and it's now a weak spot and very likely to spread no matter what you do. Plus, Wuhans are cheap, so it's not really worth the effort unless you are totally broke and happen to have the right tools (snips, files, drill).
And the same thing with your Planet Z's. Not really worth the effort unless you're broke and have time on your hands, or are just really curious. You could melt them down and make a candlestick holder or a door knocker...and i'm serious about that.

RMS
02-01-2009, 03:30 AM
Here's some more repairs, in order:

Paiste 2002 Crash, 20", 1/2" crack repaired on edge.

Sabian Vault Crash, 16", major surgury around center hole.

Avedis Zildjian Ride, 22", Old and green, repaired tiny crack around center hole.

Ainulindale
02-06-2009, 06:58 AM
recentley drilled out my bottom hat to let it breath a little - worked well! drilled two 1/2" holes across from each other with a cordless drill - and the hats are brighter, with a crisp chick sound, very happy!

danadrummer
02-23-2009, 01:15 AM
RIGHT, i have two pretty major issues here, i have an avedis zildjian ping ride that sounds amazing but there's a 1" crack going round the cymbal about 4" from the edge. What i'm thinking about doing is drilling a small hole at either end of the crack and put rivets in it would this agrivate the crack with the rivets or stop it?

ALSO, would i use pop rivets or full solid rivets?

i really dont want to lose this ride, it sounds so good when you open it up.

and i was cleaning my cymbals today and found a small crack on the edge of my new z custom thrash ride but ive lost the reciept and the shop say i need this to get it sent away.

oceansikth
05-15-2009, 02:57 PM
MINOR ISSUES

Just spent £300 on a set of Istanbul Xist, just recieved them today from Turkey and theyre full of scratches, the odd light dent and even what looks like light corrosion at the hole where they must have been mounted.

These cymbals look used, but this is my 1st set of pro cymbals (been using V-drums for years), am i being too sensitive, should i expect this. When buying on ebay from a drum store should i presume that the cymbals have been mounted and tested in the shops? I guess so.

Cheers

Steamer
05-15-2009, 07:20 PM
MINOR ISSUES

Just spent £300 on a set of Istanbul Xist, just recieved them today from Turkey and theyre full of scratches, the odd light dent and even what looks like light corrosion at the hole where they must have been mounted.

These cymbals look used, but this is my 1st set of pro cymbals (been using V-drums for years), am i being too sensitive, should i expect this. When buying on ebay from a drum store should i presume that the cymbals have been mounted and tested in the shops? I guess so.

Cheers

That's very odd and it certainly appears they were well "shop tested" till they made it into your hands.

I would point this out to the seller and demand a "used item" discount and point out the cymbals were not pristine new items when sold to you. Stick marks are one thing and I could live with but scratches and a dent is not acceptable at a full "new" price in my view.

oceansikth
05-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Yea i sent them an email saying they're not in good nick, whilst still being polite and thanking him for his correspondance thus far, but ive had no reply so i guess they're finished for the weekend. Ill get some pics up 2nite and you can see what theyre like.

I guess it only depends on what i think of the damage, whether i think its acceptable. but i need a second opinion as i am still excited that they've arrived. Just a bit bummed that theyre not as new.

Had a good look under a lens and the dents that are small, yet deep, seem to be corroded somewhat. Looks like theyve had a good smack. I think these would be cause for concern in the future. Guess theyre just gonna have to go back to Turkey. lame

Steamer
05-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Yea i sent them an email saying they're not in good nick, whilst still being polite and thanking him for his correspondance thus far, but ive had no reply so i guess they're finished for the weekend. Ill get some pics up 2nite and you can see what theyre like.

I guess it only depends on what i think of the damage, whether i think its acceptable. but i need a second opinion as i am still excited that they've arrived. Just a bit bummed that theyre not as new.

Had a good look under a lens and the dents that are small, yet deep, seem to be corroded somewhat. Looks like theyve had a good smack. I think these would be cause for concern in the future. Guess theyre just gonna have to go back to Turkey. lame

I checked out your pictures vis email and just sent you at summary of my findings.

Turkish "spice" as I call it. Various physical artifacts that happen during the handmade process.....

You'll be fine. Enjoy the pies if you dig the sound, no worries...:}

CASP3Rdrummer
05-21-2009, 02:08 AM
i have a question about my cracked stagg china (not dh or sh... the one that's like the wuhans) and the crack is less or equal to 2 cm. the weird thing is that the sound has changed so slightly that i didn't notice the crack for ages and also it does't buzz surprisingly! so what do i do? leave it as it is or dril, cut and sand it?

mkyfri
07-30-2009, 08:51 AM
i have a question about my cracked stagg china (not dh or sh... the one that's like the wuhans) and the crack is less or equal to 2 cm. the weird thing is that the sound has changed so slightly that i didn't notice the crack for ages and also it does't buzz surprisingly! so what do i do? leave it as it is or dril, cut and sand it?

whenever you crack a cymbal i find that the best thing to do is , bang it up even more and see what happens... for example i had a zildjian 18 a custom crash ride that i used for about 7 years and i finally got a 2 inch crack near the outer edge... so i drilled 4 1" holes in a t pattern and then 4 1/8" holes opposite the larger ones and put a couple grommets in them and now i have a pretty wicked sounding trash/china/ride/sizzler thing going on,, its one of my favorite cymbals to play on now ... or you could go out and buy a new cymbal but as far as actual crack repair.... drill small holes at the ends to keep the crack from growing is the best thing to do... metal like on a cymbal cant be forged back together without starting from the beginning.

Bram
08-15-2009, 05:01 PM
How would it sound when you cut down a cymbal to a square??

drummer70
11-11-2009, 03:59 AM
How would it sound when you cut down a cymbal to a square??

I do cymbal repairs and mods, so I can probably give you a little help with this one. The shape of the cymbal DOES matter, but not as much as some other factors. You'll likely get some interesting overtones out of it because the sound won't be able to travel as smoothly as it can when the cymbal is round. Some of the overtones might sound good, and some might not. The bigger issue with cutting ANY cymbal down is the overall thickness you're left with after cutting. Smaller cymbals are generally thinner than larger cymbals, so when you cut one down it acts heavier the more you cut it down. If you only take a little off it will probably sound fine. If you take a lot off, it will be gongy and will never open up no matter how hard you hit it. The only way to correct that problem is to thin it down on a lathe. the other concern I would have with a square shape would be stress points at the corners which could cause it to crack. With that said, if you've got a junk cymbal and want to give it a shot, go for it! What have you got to lose by cutting a cymbal that it otherwise trash?

drummer70
11-11-2009, 04:34 AM
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z231/xiro11196/IMG_1209.jpg
This is my worst victim, it began cracking and I just kept using it without drilling. what can I do with this? at least a bell i guess but i'm listening to ideas!
I also have a broken hihat set, also planet Z
and i have a wu han crash with a small crack on the edge and a crack near it that resembles an L or a T on the bow, kind of like the K posted earlierby RMS. what can i do with that? i'll post a picture later

When I get a cymbal that is that badly damaged, I put it on the lathe and cut out the bell and make it into a cup chime! You can use a dremel tool to cut out the bell... the nice thing about making a cup chime is you don't need to thin it when your done!

drummer70
11-11-2009, 04:38 AM
I wish i had a picture....

I had this really old crash from my first drumset and i was XXXXXwith it on the ground. I hit it with a rubber mallet and it popped inside out. The cymbal is now concave rather than convex but the bell remains the same.

Then i drilled some holes and put some nails in to make the thing sizzle. It's not ht ebest sounding cymbal, but i have yet to hear one on the market that makes a similar sound.

You should be able to pop it back out by hand. I flip them inside out all the time when I'm hammering the top side. Just grab the edge and roll it the direction you want it to flip. If it's a really stiff cymbal, you can also roll it against the edge of a table.... As long as it isn't a glass table or ANY table you mind scratching up.

mrd34d
11-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Hey! New here, first post.

So anyway, I got this 19" Sabian AAX metal crash from a kid last night, and was kinda grossed out by the "repairs" that were done (not by the kid but the owner before him).

So I decided to chop it down to 15". Now it's got a very dark tone to it. It also sounds more like a ride cymbal now with a slight Chinese undertone in the sustain.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to give it a higher tone, or maybe somehow just make it sound more like a crash?

I was already thinking of hammering and flating the edge (like my 15" Sabian HH Sound Control crash), and drilling some holes in the bell. Would that help at all?

ANY ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!! :D

Here's a vid of it being tested out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Z7wtDT1No

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1318/pb170186.th.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/pb170186.jpg/)
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7804/pb170189.th.jpg (http://img190.imageshack.us/i/pb170189.jpg/)
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/341/pb170198.th.jpg (http://img692.imageshack.us/i/pb170198.jpg/)

Sorry for deleting and reposting. Not used to forums having the newest posts first o.O

RMS
11-27-2009, 07:13 AM
You would need to make it thinner and restore a taper to make it sound crash-ier. Cut-down cymbals are flatter and more prone to flipping inside-out. Maybe you could cut it down further to use as a hi-hat, and hammer it just a bit to create more of a profile.

Johnny from the block
02-13-2010, 09:50 PM
The guitar player just cracked my top Hi-hat cymbal...
I assume since it gets a little support from the bottom cymbal
it's a bit less likely to tear further but I definetely want to get it repaired
as soon as possible. I'm kind of reluctant to try and fix it myself,
because I've never done this, but maybe it's not that dangerous...?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

akasticks
04-12-2010, 08:30 PM
based on the great responses in this thread, i turned a cracked 16" Sabian XS20 crash into a 14.5" crash, and it sounds great!!! I also cut down a Sabain XS20 China into a 10" splash, and supprisingly it sounds really good, probably because it is a lot thinner than a crash cymbal.

akasticks
04-12-2010, 08:32 PM
BTW, how would you go about "thinning" a cymbal????

RMS
05-26-2010, 02:45 AM
With a lathe, designed for cymbals.

cymbalutopia
06-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Here's a mod of a 18" breakbeat ride I recently finished. Here's a link to some Q3 footage of it on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqearZRnHF0

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/cymbalutopia/181586gtop.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/cymbalutopia/181586gbot.jpg

Wavelength
06-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Here's a mod of a 18" breakbeat ride I recently finished. Here's a link to some Q3 footage of it on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqearZRnHF0

Really nice! I have an 18" BBR au naturelle (which I like), and that mod made a huge difference! How does the radially lathed bell compare to a circularly lathed one?

cymbalutopia
06-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Really nice! I have an 18" BBR au naturelle (which I like), and that mod made a huge difference! How does the radially lathed bell compare to a circularly lathed one?

Thanks for the kind words.

The bell is hand scraped and in comparison to a standard lathing pattern, tends to add a bit more complexity to the higher frequency band which is emitted from that area of the cymbal. The difference is quite subtle though.

CountHavoc
06-26-2010, 07:05 AM
been reading some of the replys & am wondering if drilling a cracked cymbal is the best option(other than buying new)i have a crack on the edge of my 16" PST5 & it sounds like shit!!(crack is about 2cm)
also,what is the best way to drill?
is there certain point's,drill bit's(normal,titanium,gold plated?)size's?
im an idiot & cant yet afford a replacement.

doramide7
09-30-2010, 01:13 AM
based on the great responses in this thread, i turned a cracked 16" Sabian XS20 crash into a 14.5" crash, and it sounds great!!! I also cut down a Sabain XS20 China into a 10" splash, and supprisingly it sounds really good, probably because it is a lot thinner than a crash cymbal.

The guitar player just cracked my top Hi-hat cymbal...
I assume since it gets a little support from the bottom cymbal
it's a bit less likely to tear further but I definetely want to get it repaired
as soon as possible. I'm kind of reluctant to try and fix it myself,
because I've never done this, but maybe it's not that dangerous...?

redsky20
10-14-2010, 12:32 AM
I know this may be pretty irrelevant but my first crash cymbal was a 16" Solar... bad already, I know. I wanted rid of the thing soooo badly but wasn't allowed to cough up money on new cymbals until it was completely dead, SO, as you do, I put a hammer to it a few times creating maybe a 6cm crack down the cymbal and many smaller cracks around the centre-hole, if anything it sounded better afterwards...

Vivicide
11-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I recently decided I wanted to modify a couple broken cymbals I had. I am currently in the middle of doing a 20'' A custom crash and a 11'' K custom splash. I am using a Dremel tool i bought from Home Depot, That thing is amazing, I was gonna do the tin snip method others were using, but this seemed way more logical.

The crash had a ton of cracks and missing chunks so I cut it down pretty far. Here is a before pic, and another pic of the current stage I am at with it.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/drummerdylan87/20before.jpg

Here is phase 2 of the project. Right now it has a really low bell sound, because its so thick, I wish I had a lathe so I could thin it out a bit and get a splashier sound, but since i dont, Im gonna cut it down more leaving about an inch or so from the bell. Hopefully it will give it a higher pitch. This one still has a ways to go.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/drummerdylan87/202.jpg

Now here is a before of the K custom splash. It had some serious damage from years of playing that thing. I loved that splash haha.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/drummerdylan87/splashbefore.jpg

Here it is in phase 2. I dont have too much more left to do to this one, I have sanded down the finish since this pic and am gonna polish it up with the buffer on my dremel tool. I am really happy with the way this one is coming, it has a relly nice high bell sound, similar to a zil bell.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/drummerdylan87/splash2.jpg

I will post more pics and some video when they are finished. I am loving this project and i plan on doing many more.

Vivicide
11-09-2010, 06:38 AM
Here are the 2 finished cymbals, they turned out way better than I expected going into this haha.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/drummerdylan87/final2.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/drummerdylan87/final1.jpg

Henke90s
11-19-2010, 12:59 AM
I cant tell if this is a crack or a scratch in my paiste 2002 ride. It doesnt come through on the other side of the cymbal, but iam afraid its a crack that will develop even more.

HOUSTON 94
12-06-2010, 12:32 AM
It looks almost like the person using the cymbal on the lathe let it slip for a second and it scraped it.

ZGR8DCVER
01-02-2011, 09:50 PM
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I recently decided I wanted to modify a couple broken cymbals I had. I am currently in the middle of doing a 20'' A custom crash and a 11'' K custom splash. I am using a Dremel tool i bought from Home Depot, That thing is amazing, I was gonna do the tin snip method others were using, but this seemed way more logical.

The crash had a ton of cracks and missing chunks so I cut it down pretty far. Here is a before pic, and another pic of the current stage I am at with it.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/drummerdylan87/20before.jpg

Here is phase 2 of the project. Right now it has a really low bell sound, because its so thick, I wish I had a lathe so I could thin it out a bit and get a splashier sound, but since i dont, Im gonna cut it down more leaving about an inch or so from the bell. Hopefully it will give it a higher pitch. This one still has a ways to go.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/drummerdylan87/202.jpg

Now here is a before of the K custom splash. It had some serious damage from years of playing that thing. I loved that splash haha.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/drummerdylan87/splashbefore.jpg

Here it is in phase 2. I dont have too much more left to do to this one, I have sanded down the finish since this pic and am gonna polish it up with the buffer on my dremel tool. I am really happy with the way this one is coming, it has a relly nice high bell sound, similar to a zil bell.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/drummerdylan87/splash2.jpg

I will post more pics and some video when they are finished. I am loving this project and i plan on doing many more.

Hi Vivicide,

I am also using a Dremel tool to do my cymbal mods. I am curious what bits you are having the most luck with? Especially in the "finishing" process; that being smoothing the edges and getting the best "roundness"(shape) out of it? Any input on the "Dremel Method" is much appreciated!

Olimpass
01-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone. New to the forum and'd like to share this repair. I've repaired a black label Paiste 2002 18" medium crash that had a crack about 3-4" long using a pneumatic die grinder. I've run the cut-off wheel into a candle first so the alloys from the cymbal do not gum up and stick in the pores of the wheel. Otherwise the cut-off wheel will just kinda slide on the cymbal instead of cutting good. I've made a vid on YouTube. I'd like to add that this compressor was week and the cut-off wheel kept wanting to stop. It would have went alot smoother with a good compressor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMGAfWBGMM