PDA

View Full Version : Real books & drums, jazz.

brodiewd
11-22-2013, 02:53 PM
G'day ya'll,

Got a question for ya'll re da real books. So I have been playing drums a while, practicing alot of Jazz work outs my old teacher had given me.. It's absolutely great! Taught me alot, BUT... I'm failing to impliment this learned technique, I'm having trouble thinking in a triplet sense. I always revert back to a rock style of playing.

ANYWAY, I would like to have a go at Real Books. But the issue is I do not know how to play a melodic instrument. I have played a bit of bass and can understand basic bass notation. Is it likely I will slowly learn a way to read & understand the lead chart?

WhoIsTony?
11-22-2013, 03:16 PM
as a drummer you can use the lead sheets strictly as a means to understand the form of the tune...be it AABA or 12 bar blues , etc

also to learn the rhythm of the melody .....for example if you can read rhythms you could follow the melody of Billies Bounce of course without being able to read actual note played.

being a jazz player I feel that knowing melodies is one of the keys to understanding how to properly react to the music

what worries me more than anything about the charts is that you stated that you are "having trouble thinking in a triplet sense"......if that is the case this is indeed a problem if you intend to play jazz music

I recommend doing more listening .......then doing more listening....then after that listen some more

there is absolutely no substitute for absorbing this music through your ears and developing BIG EARS.....

it is also important to not only listen to drummers......play Monks rhythms on drums, play McCoy Tyners rhythms on drums ....this is where we learn to speak through our instrument

this music is literally all about listening ......listening to records...listening to the musicians you are accompanying

also knowing and understanding what came before you so that you understand the language so that you can eventually form your own dialect

Imitate , Assimilate, Innovate

Torkerz
11-22-2013, 03:27 PM
When you say 'Real Books' Is this a series or do you mean actual drum books?

It sounds to me that you just need help with your sight reading, which I must admit you will need to have a basic grasp of in order to help you out with some really good drumming books.

Some books I would recommend for sight reading would be: Ted Reed Syncopation and Louis Bellson: Modern Reading in 4/4 - these books will really help you with sight reading and help you understand rhythms. This will help you with Lead sheets etc. You might also want to look into picking up some play along books. Phil Maturano's Working the Inner Clock is great.

Secondly you need to count out loud and do it slow, learn where the notes fall in a bar and how to play them, once you see the rhythms enough, you will know how to play them, which will then enable you to practice coordination as opposed to trying to work out what is written.

In terms of books for overall drumming, I recommend the Gary Chaffee Patterns books. They will address pretty much all areas of drumming for you, and really do help you address all areas of technique. They also come with a CD to help you out. I have thrown in a link for all the books below. I have done this on Amazon.com - I have no idea where you live so just find the books on a relevant site.

Gray Chaffee Books
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0769234690/qid=1065812951/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-4087237-0286540?v=glance&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0769234771/qid%3D1065812989/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr_11_1/102-4087237-0286540

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0769234763/qid%3D1065813028/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr_11_1/102-4087237-0286540

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/076923478X/ref=pd_sim_books_1/102-4087237-0286540?v=glance&s=books

Louis Bellson:

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Reading-Text-All-Instruments/dp/0769233775/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385126795&sr=1-1&keywords=Louis+bellson+modern+reading+in+4%2F4

Ted Reed:

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Steps-Syncopation-Modern-Drummer/dp/0882847953/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385126812&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=ted+reed+synocpation

brodiewd
11-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Thank you Torkerz. Real Books is at this link - http://www.realbooksite.com/

Take a look at that, I will take a look at the books you suggested for me.

Cheers mate!

Torkerz
11-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Thank you Torkerz. Real Books is at this link - http://www.realbooksite.com/

Take a look at that, I will take a look at the books you suggested for me.

Cheers mate!

Well, you learn something new every day! Cheers dude. I remember the Real Book now. Pretty much the bible for all the jazz musicians at my University! Might get a copy myself, not a PDF ;-)

brodiewd
11-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Well, you learn something new every day! Cheers dude. I remember the Real Book now. Pretty much the bible for all the jazz musicians at my University! Might get a copy myself, not a PDF ;-)

Yeah, do it! I'm really eager to get on board learning it. Gonna try get some bass lessons first I think...

brodiewd
11-26-2013, 09:36 AM
WhoIsTony, I guess it's a case of that I can read some basic jazz charts that my drum teacher has given me previously. But I can't freely improvise jazz. I feel very rigid with my playing. I am unable to continuously keep my swing and hats going on 2 + 4 whilst freely hitting notes around the kit, (If that makes sense). But if I have the piece of music in front of me I am able to swing and hit notes n what not. Any tips on how to improvise freely with jazz playing? To think JAZZ?

WhoIsTony?
11-26-2013, 07:55 PM
WhoIsTony, I guess it's a case of that I can read some basic jazz charts that my drum teacher has given me previously. But I can't freely improvise jazz. I feel very rigid with my playing. I am unable to continuously keep my swing and hats going on 2 + 4 whilst freely hitting notes around the kit, (If that makes sense). But if I have the piece of music in front of me I am able to swing and hit notes n what not. Any tips on how to improvise freely with jazz playing? To think JAZZ?

listening is the key...honestly

you need to learn to speak the language before you can have a conversation my friend

how does a baby learn to speak?.....by listening and repeating

listening to as many jazz records as you can get your hands on

..and I could sit here and give you vocabulary exercises all day ...... but instead I will recommend picking up all of John Rileys books and his DVD, Danny Gotliebs book The Evolution of Jazz Drumming, John Ramsays the Drummers Complete Vocabulary as taught by Alan Dawson , and a book by Dusan Milenkovic called The Magnificent 7.....there are lots of good books out there

there are 5 lifetimes worth of material to work on in those books ...... but what is inside is completely useless if you do not LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN !!!!!

listening will help you understand the language , think in phrases, think melodically , and how to feel the music .

ultimately ....jazz is not learned from a book ....it is learned with your ears and your heart....books can suggest paterns ....but your ears help you learn the language and have a conversation

listen as much as you can....certain players will jump out at you...and when they do, seek out everything they ever played on

I'd be glad to suggest some listening material if you wish ... let me know

...and don't worry so much about playing around the kit ....get your ride cymbal beat together
if your ride cymbal rhythm and time is not together than none of that other stuff matters a lick .

get you ride cymbal locked solid and everything will follow

Magenta
11-26-2013, 08:32 PM
so just find the books on a relevant site

*cough* I think you mean, please contact your local music shop and ask them to order them for you :)

Works out cheaper than Amazon in the end, because after a while you get mate's rates and don't pay postage ;) - AND you're keeping a local business going. Everyone's a winner.