PDA

View Full Version : Tension rods won't tighten - please help!

rocket_man21
09-04-2013, 02:56 AM
I just recently bought a Tama Artwood 14x4 Maple Sunburst from a guy, and its obivous that two of the rods are not the same as the others and those two i used on the same lug, now both of them wont tighten anymore and the tension on the top is only 84 and the tension on the bottom is only 81! I know for a fact they should tighten more than that, are they too long or what would be the cause of this?

v.zarate
09-04-2013, 03:04 AM
I just recently bought a Tama Artwood 14x4 Maple Sunburst from a guy, and its obivous that two of the rods are not the same as the others and those two i used on the same lug, now both of them wont tighten anymore and the tension on the top is only 84 and the tension on the bottom is only 81! I know for a fact they should tighten more than that, are they too long or what would be the cause of this?

did u measure them yet? take one of the other ones off and measure

rocket_man21
09-04-2013, 03:24 AM
did u measure them yet? take one of the other ones off and measure

i did not measure with a ruler but the 2 rods that are different are MAYBE 1/16 or 1/8 of and inch longer would that really make that much of a difference?

XplosiveDrummer
09-04-2013, 04:20 AM
i did not measure with a ruler but the 2 rods that are different are MAYBE 1/16 or 1/8 of and inch longer would that really make that much of a difference?

I wouldn't think so but it depends on how deep the lugs are. If you go too far they will bottom out at the bottom of the lug. That's also if the lug nut goes straight through. Like the the lug nuts on my PDP X7's, they go straight through. Could be that a lug nut is stripped out?

Maybe post some pics?

IDDrummer
09-04-2013, 04:48 AM

Yes, it can make a difference. If they are coming to a hard stop, don't try to force them. You'll only break something.

If they are merely HARD to turn, you may have other issues going on.

rocket_man21
09-04-2013, 05:07 AM
Yes, it can make a difference. If they are coming to a hard stop, don't try to force them. You'll only break something.

If they are merely HARD to turn, you may have other issues going on.

it comes to a hard stop what im thinking is because they are just a bit longer the two rods are hittin one another in the lug, its a single lug with one threaded tube going through it

i attached a stock photo of the snare to give and idea of the lug and tension rod design

IDDrummer
09-04-2013, 05:15 AM
Yep, I would bet you're right. Just pick up a couple of shorter ones and I'll be you'll get 'er dialed in.

v.zarate
09-04-2013, 05:35 AM

yes it will make a difference if it bottoms out sooner.

like i said before, measure them. if it is longer grab a shorter one

lsits
09-04-2013, 06:02 AM
The easy thing to do is to try one of the shorter bolts in the lug in question. If it still gets hard to turn before you've reached the right tension then the problem is probably in the lug. If it tunes up ok then a shorter lug bolt will do the trick.

JesusMySavior
09-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Drum Factory Direct, order some new tension rods.