PDA

View Full Version : NAMM sneak peek...

bermuda
01-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Forgive the atrocious photo (cheap cell phone)... but here's the Ludwig "birthday cake" kit in Oyster Blue Olive. This pic absolutely does it no justice, but it's pretty groovy in person! (Ronn Dumnnett will have better shots in his pictorial later on.)

http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/images/bcakekit.jpg

Bermuda

SgtThump
01-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Thanks for sharing! I'm gonna guess that most of us would love to have that gigantic overhead drum. :)

larryz
01-23-2013, 12:48 AM
So, first birthday cake ice cream now birthday cake drums? At least it's making me hungry. For cake. And drums. Make more room in Bermuda's warehouse... :)

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for more new Ludwig goodies.

Beam Me Up Scotty
01-23-2013, 12:52 AM
Thanks for sharing indeed! I can't wait to see more pictures from the whole show!

One of these years I'm gonna have to get myself out there to actually go to NAMM, or even PASIC. Eventually.

The Old Hyde
01-23-2013, 03:37 PM
your killing us, when do we find out about the new ludwig thingy that you mentioned ????

wildbill
01-23-2013, 03:44 PM
I'd like to see that overhead bass drum set up as part of a kit - LOL.

steverok
01-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Wow, that's alot of olive green !

bermuda
01-23-2013, 04:42 PM
your killing us, when do we find out about the new ludwig thingy that you mentioned ????

People will be talking about the Atlas mount within a day or two.

But here's a short summary: it holds legs (floor tom AND bass drum!), accessories, and most importantly... it replaces RIMS-type mounts!

It's a clamp, it's a mount, it's small, and it's huge.

Bermuda

mikeo
01-23-2013, 11:44 PM
rims type mounts are a source of major aggravation to me... i welcome whatever this thing is

AndyMC
01-24-2013, 12:25 AM
looks like it attaches to a lug, I'm very interested to see what they came out with.

tamadrm
01-24-2013, 02:23 AM

But here's a short summary: it holds legs (floor tom AND bass drum!), accessories, and most importantly... it replaces RIMS-type mounts!

Bermuda

So this is the so simple I can't believe no one thought of it first Ludwig exclusive Bermuda?

I can't wait to see it.Go Ludwig.:)

Steve B

Bo Eder
01-24-2013, 03:49 AM
Last year I went to NAMM without a good camera. This year I'm bringing the good machine with my wide-enough lens. I'll get a good shot of that display kit!

I am intrigued about this Atlas mount. Can't wait to see what the heck it is!

Mendozart
01-24-2013, 07:14 AM
I am intrigued about this Atlas mount. Can't wait to see what the heck it is!

I got a good look at the mount today, and think its quite ingenious. It may need some slight tweakings here and there, but kudos to Ludwig on this one.

Ludwig514
01-24-2013, 07:20 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/196353_10151424180493529_2095745376_n.jpg

Well...what does everybody think?

I wonder how much this finish will go for

Bonzobilly
01-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Hmm.. Can't tell from the pic. Maybe it's me? Looks like its stuck to both bottom and top lug?

Bo Eder
01-24-2013, 07:56 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/196353_10151424180493529_2095745376_n.jpg

Looking at the picture, I would believe I was looking at the cover of the 1973 catalog ;)

bermuda
01-24-2013, 08:10 AM
And from the back cover of the catalog...

http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/images/catpic.jpg

Can't tell you how thrilled I am to end up next to Ringo, and not far from some other amazing names!

Bermuda

Bo Eder
01-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Can't tell you how thrilled I am to end up next to Ringo, and not far from some other amazing names!

Bermuda

John Stamos? Really?

Artstar
01-24-2013, 09:17 AM
I think that Bass Claw on that cover page is also new..

latzanimal
01-24-2013, 10:17 AM

I wonder if this means they are bringing back the Strata finishes from the old Standard line...

Bermuda?

sonnygrabber
01-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Far be it for me to question the engineers at Ludwig, but from what I could see of that attachment it appears to be only on one lug. As I said, I'm sure they have figured it out, but it seems to me that a lot of pressure (even small toms have pretty good heft) would be placed on a very small area of the drum.

But the possibilities inherent in that design are legion!

bermuda
01-24-2013, 04:15 PM
I wonder if this means they are bringing back the Strata finishes from the old Standard line...

Bermuda?

The Strata and Oyster were similar, but not really the same. Ludwig and others have been toying with new oyster finishes for a while. This pic on the cover is in Salmon Pearl, but also referred to as Salmon Oyster. It's on display at the show and looks really great in person.

Bermuda

MaryO
01-24-2013, 05:52 PM

Bermuda

I'm impressed! Although I do see you come AFTER John Stamos. lol. But so does Ringo so you're in good company :)

MaryO
01-24-2013, 05:55 PM
So jealous of those of you who get to attend! NAMM will be in Nashville in July and I'd be there in a heartbeat if I could figure out an angle for them to let me in...lol.

Please post lots and lots of pics!

longgun
01-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Far be it for me to question the engineers at Ludwig, but from what I could see of that attachment it appears to be only on one lug. As I said, I'm sure they have figured it out, but it seems to me that a lot of pressure (even small toms have pretty good heft) would be placed on a very small area of the drum.

But the possibilities inherent in that design are legion!

.......It sure does look like it would be a lot of pressure on one lug.

evilg99
01-24-2013, 09:59 PM
That can't be what Bermuda was talking about - "every drummer will want one" - that looks like it only works with Ludwig drums - and he said it would work with any drum. Or I'm missing something....?

Neal

charliedrummer
01-24-2013, 11:42 PM
From what I've read on other forums the clamp is somehow adjustable to accommodate hole spacings for lugs from other manufacturers.

mikeo
01-24-2013, 11:44 PM
john stamos and not eric slick?... don't get it

larryz
01-25-2013, 01:07 AM
john stamos and not eric slick?... don't get it

Right. John Stamos? I've only seen him hamming it up in the Beach Boys "Kokomo" video like 25 years ago...

Mendozart
01-25-2013, 01:50 AM
That can't be what Bermuda was talking about - "every drummer will want one" - that looks like it only works with Ludwig drums - and he said it would work with any drum. Or I'm missing something....?

Neal

From what I've read on other forums the clamp is somehow adjustable to accommodate hole spacings for lugs from other manufacturers.

It has an adjustable slide to fit any hole spacing. Now, I'm wondering if Ludwig will make these available to the public?

GRUNTERSDAD
01-25-2013, 02:03 AM

Bermuda
soundslike the one Ronn Dunnett was showing on line....His R class products.

http://youtu.be/t1yZNumvRCA

AndyMC
01-25-2013, 03:59 AM
Found a better pic, now I'm more confused do you replace a lug?

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/774191_10151424350123529_299706707_o.jpg

RobertM
01-25-2013, 05:31 AM
Bermuda,

Is this a new Ludwig finish for the USA lines?? It looks like amber gloss:

Aeolian
01-25-2013, 07:44 AM
At first I thought it was fitted to that Keystone lug, which has more features on it and would make for a more secure fit. But that last pic shows it clamped to a traditional lug. Seems like it would work less well on the "streamlined" Gretsch or Pearl lugs. Also there seems to be a rubber protected foot bearing some of the load. Good from the standpoint of the folks worried about torquing on one small lug. But I can also see the no rubber/remove the lug gasket folks blowing a gasket.

Certainly makes the kit look cleaner and neater. And being able to clamp floor legs to a tom for one set up, and rack mount it on another (without leg hardware hanging on it) would be a boon to the folks who buy a larger kit and "flex" it for different gigs.

charliedrummer
01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Bermuda,

Is this a new Ludwig finish for the USA lines?? It looks like amber gloss:

Yes, this is the new "Golden Slumbers" finish. It's a real throwback to Ringo's "rooftop" kit from the Let It Be album.

Xero Talent
01-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Awesome! Apparently my photo is on the Paiste booth's Expressions Wall of Fame, 2nd row, 9th from the left :)

Soupy
01-25-2013, 03:12 PM
At first I thought it was fitted to that Keystone lug, which has more features on it and would make for a more secure fit. But that last pic shows it clamped to a traditional lug.

No, there's no way it's clamped to the existing lug. The shape is completely wrong to cover a lug, what with the arch where it rests against the shell.

It looks like it simply replaces the lug.

bermuda
01-25-2013, 04:31 PM
It does replace the lug, and has 2 sets of gaskets for mounting either on a tom as a mount, floor tom as the leg mounts, or a kick for accessories, cymbal L-arm, and even gullwing spur mounts!

It's extremely cool.

Bermuda

AndyMC
01-25-2013, 04:38 PM
And this mount/clamp actually fits other brands? Ludwig uses 2 screws to mount their lugs as far as I know; what about other brands like Mapex for instance that use a single screw? Or did I catch some misinformation somewhere and its only for Luddies/drilling.

evilg99
01-26-2013, 01:15 AM
Ahhhh I see now. I was missing something. Cool, I like it ...many uses.
Neal

DrumEatDrum
01-26-2013, 03:00 AM

Bermuda

And it's absolutely amazing.

The best thing I've seen at the show!

And this mount/clamp actually fits other brands? Ludwig uses 2 screws to mount their lugs as far as I know; what about other brands like Mapex for instance that use a single screw? Or did I catch some misinformation somewhere and its only for Luddies/drilling.

The screw is apparently adjustable, and will fit other brands. Which brands though they are not saying.

However, for the short term, they are only available with a new Ludwig kit, and it will be at least 6 months before they are available as retro fits.

keep it simple
01-26-2013, 03:06 AM
I like this bracket. It's a cool multi utility piece, but I fail to see how it replaces the function of a RIMS mount. In tom mounting guise, it's essentially a tom mount screwed to a shell with a lug facility built into the design. Unless I'm missing something (& of course, the caveat is I haven't laid hands on it), it offers no isolation facility other than a rubber gasket. Great piece with lots of uses though.

DrumEatDrum
01-26-2013, 03:14 AM
I like this bracket. It's a cool multi utility piece, but I fail to see how it replaces the function of a RIMS mount. In tom mounting guise, it's essentially a tom mount screwed to a shell with a lug facility built into the design. Unless I'm missing something (& of course, the caveat is I haven't laid hands on it), it offers no isolation facility other than a rubber gasket. Great piece with lots of uses though.

From a sonic point of view, I'm not sure. The irony of NAMM is it's so freaking loud in the hall, it's tough to hear subtle difference.

But assuming two of the same toms, one with this, one with RIMs, the number of holes drilled into the shell would be identical. So I would say it serves the same function in that both eliminate the need to drill the shell for a tom mount.

And this unit being much smaller, it's less difficult to mount a tom than the RIMS.

Aeolian
01-26-2013, 06:13 AM
It does replace the lug, and has 2 sets of gaskets for mounting either on a tom as a mount, floor tom as the leg mounts, or a kick for accessories, cymbal L-arm, and even gullwing spur mounts!

It's extremely cool.

Bermuda

Oh, so if you wanted to have a 12x14 that you could convert from a shell tom to a side tom, you would have to have 3 of these on it where the lugs go.

BacteriumFendYoke
01-26-2013, 06:18 AM
Now that mount is something I could really get behind!

It's not for everyone but on any ply kit of my distant future, I would be tempted to get these aftermarket. A compact, elegant and mechanically sound solution to the problem of over-bulky, inelegant mounts that I've seen all too often.

Strong, strong approval from me.

bermuda
01-26-2013, 07:10 AM
I like this bracket. It's a cool multi utility piece, but I fail to see how it replaces the function of a RIMS mount. In tom mounting guise, it's essentially a tom mount screwed to a shell with a lug facility built into the design.

It's 2 pieces - the section mounted to the shell, and a floating clamp. Here's the info:

http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/images/atlaswave.jpg

Like I said, it's extremely cool!

For those who are meeting me at Ludwig on Saturday morning, I will explain and show what it is so it makes more sense. Everyone I've done that with has a much better understanding, and digs it.

Bermuda

drumdevil9
01-26-2013, 08:42 AM
I like it. If it fits my Renown I will get one for my bass drum to mount a ride. No drilling=very cool.

Artstar
01-26-2013, 09:01 AM
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff472/STEVEatRUSSO/lud5.jpg

latzanimal
01-26-2013, 09:35 AM
It's 2 pieces - the section mounted to the shell, and a floating clamp. Here's the info:

For those who are meeting me at Ludwig on Saturday morning, I will explain and show what it is so it makes more sense. Everyone I've done that with has a much better understanding, and digs it.

Bermuda

Will they be available in black chrome?

keep it simple
01-26-2013, 10:17 AM
From a sonic point of view, I'm not sure. The irony of NAMM is it's so freaking loud in the hall, it's tough to hear subtle difference.

But assuming two of the same toms, one with this, one with RIMs, the number of holes drilled into the shell would be identical. So I would say it serves the same function in that both eliminate the need to drill the shell for a tom mount.

And this unit being much smaller, it's less difficult to mount a tom than the RIMS.

BermudaAh, ok guys, now I get it, & I'm happy to stand corrected. I did comment with the caveat that I hadn't seen the unit :) The blow up parts drawing tells me everything I need to know, & for all drums that are already drilled, it's a very smart solution. Not only smart, but a big aesthetic benefit too. Agreed, it's a winner!

A nice piece of real world applicable innovation from a big name that's been bereft of innovation for decades. So pleasing to see.

Jeff Almeyda
01-26-2013, 02:01 PM
I like it. I could see getting them for my live kit. Nothing like eliminating extra hardware.

gmiller598
01-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Is this new mount standard equipment for all new stuff now? I just ordered n add on 8" tom for my Epic kit last week. Should I expect it to come with this mount? If so, when can I order these pieces individually because I would need to replace them on my other 2 mounted toms so they will all be the same if my new drum actually comes with this piece.

bermuda
01-26-2013, 04:23 PM
A nice piece of real world applicable innovation from a big name that's been bereft of innovation for decades. So pleasing to see.

Hate to admit, but you're right. This mount, and last year's Atlas hardware, is not what you expect from Ludwig. They're really on their game in other areas as well, and are gaining the respect back that they haven't seen since the '70s. I'm very proud to be part of their family during this exciting renaissance.

Bermuda

Nickropolis
01-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Now that I see it in Artstar`s picture and some further explaining it not only makes sense but looks extremely versatile and useful.

I would personally love using two of them on opposing bass drum lugs (for extra stability and depth adjustment) and running a 12.7mm rod between them for either a ride or a high tom. Maybe both.

barryabko
01-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Forgive the atrocious photo (cheap cell phone)... but here's the Ludwig "birthday cake" kit in Oyster Blue Olive. This pic absolutely does it no justice, but it's pretty groovy in person! (Ronn Dumnnett will have better shots in his pictorial later on.)

http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/images/bcakekit.jpg

Bermuda

WOW - that's amazing! That giant bass drum is being held up by just the one cymbal cymbal stand in the middle! Just kidding. :-)

scorch whammin
01-26-2013, 06:29 PM

Bermuda

In theory this looks very similar to the Yess mount (1st gen.)..Ludwig even shows resonance plots, just like Yamaha did when they 1st introduced Yess….I definitely think it's a good idea and looks nice as well...

..just be prepared for people to criticize it, by saying there's no way you can suspend a tom like that w/o damaging shell, especially on larger toms…blah..blah..blah..I'm sure it will do just fine on large toms as well..

Ludwig definitely seems to be really making a comback and that's good to see..

GRUNTERSDAD
01-26-2013, 06:35 PM
WOW - that's amazing! That giant bass drum is being held up by just the one cymbal cymbal stand in the middle! Just kidding. :-)

and the new clamp.....

RobertM
01-26-2013, 11:10 PM
What about the new Ludwig finishes? Artstar's picture suggests a new Classic Maple lacquer finish of greenish fade? I've also seen a blue-ish fade-looking lacquer finish via Ludwig's facebook page, and then there is the confirmed Golden Slumbers lacquer finish to honor Ringo's kit.

However, Ludwig's website does NOT currently list any of these new finishes under the Legacy Classic and Classic Maple pages.

Can Bermuda or anyone else please clarify what are the new Ludwig lacquer finishes for the Classic Maple kits, if any? I'd love to know.

If Ludwig has cool new lacquer finishes, then it will be a double win for them: a decent Atlas lug suspension innovation *and* new lacquer colors--two things Ludwig has been horribly lazy about in the past (as Andy notes in this thread, "A nice piece of real world applicable innovation from a big name that's been bereft of innovation for decades. So pleasing to see."). Note: I added the italics for emphasis.

So far, two winners for me at NAMM would be Ludwig's mount and new lacquers colors (a big change for them and their customers) and Tama's new Star drums (actual shell construction and suspension mounts innovations).

Aeolian
01-27-2013, 12:29 AM
For a floor tom, this probably provides much better isolation than the Pearl or Gibraltar feet. Imagine, the sustain of a hanging tom with the stability of a floor standing one. Plus if you have one on the top, you can mount crash cymbals off it. Right in an area of the stage where things on the floor are often in the way of amps or people standing there. That's probably the most useful application for us small bar/restaurant folks.

evilg99
01-31-2013, 07:24 AM
Bermuda, any info on pricing and availability for the new Atlas mount?
I will buy at least two to start....

Neal

Bo Eder
01-31-2013, 07:41 AM
Bermuda, any info on pricing and availability for the new Atlas mount?
I will buy at least two to start....

Neal

I overheard one of the Ludwig reps tell someone the price would be in the $35-$45 range, and maybe they'll be available as parts sometime in or after May. They're using their current stock for the new kits being released.

Les Ismore
01-31-2013, 10:10 PM
In theory this looks very similar to the Yess mount (1st gen.)..Ludwig even shows resonance plots, just like Yamaha did when they 1st introduced Yess….I definitely think it's a good idea and looks nice as well...

YAMAHA'S YESS mounts horizontally, LUDWIG'S ATLAS mounts vertically using existing lug holes. The jury is still out on which offers more sonic value. The graph isn't that impressive, tho shows some improvement.

The ATLAS mount as mentioned is versatile and less holes in the shell is seen as a good thing.

Is A.T.L.A.S. an acronym, or is that a typo?

NerfLad
02-01-2013, 12:00 AM
The mount seems like it places a ton of stress on a single point on the shell. The shell is supporting its own weight, instead of the hoop like when you have a RIMS mount. Isn't this why we moved away from mounting brackets attached to the shell in the first place?

marko138
02-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Hmm...could be really cool to turn my 14x11 rack into a floor tom and get it off the stand.

KarlCrafton
02-02-2013, 12:01 AM
The mount seems like it places a ton of stress on a single point on the shell. The shell is supporting its own weight, instead of the hoop like when you have a RIMS mount. Isn't this why we moved away from mounting brackets attached to the shell in the first place?

.....Not really...... Randy May developed RIMS when most of the big companies (Pearl, Rogers, Ludwig, etc...) had 1/2" holes, and giant mounts on the drums to hold them onto the tube. Those drums were way more dead than any drum that had the smaller L-rod bracket (older Ludwig, Tama, Premier, etc...). Jeff Porcaro was a early user, and he was playing Pearl with the giant tube tom holders.

Yamaha drums were the brand that just used a small mount and small hex rod in the 80's and their drums were just fine IMO. They didn't even need to go to that YESS system (IMO), but if they didn't, they'd become "old news, & didn't know what was going on"....

bermuda
02-02-2013, 01:59 AM
.....Not really...... Randy May developed RIMS

Ummm, you mean Gary Gauger.

Randy May cooked up the internal mic-mounting holder.

Bermuda

bobdadruma
02-02-2013, 02:14 AM
I am really liking the new Atlas tom mount. I never liked Rims style mounts on suspended toms 14 inches diameter and smaller. Thank You Ludwig!

lefty2
02-02-2013, 04:56 AM

This is what I've been thinking. Not enough weight distrubution. The same with my Yamahas, I think having such a small area holding the weight of the drum, is not good. Especially when you are beating on it with a stick. I wonder about my toms going out of round in the yrs. to come or, cracking the shell. IMO I think Tama has got the best system.